Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

It took many hours, but I wrote enough today to be about half-way toward caught up again. I haven't done anything else, except for a short strength-training video for a break, so time to be moving on with the rest of my list.

I have no plans to leave the house on our first cold day. I'll do today's Yoga with Adriene offering for the rest of my exercise.

I had a hungry day, yesterday. It's been better today. I tried the extra hydration that some of you have been talking about and it did the trick!

Exercise +60, 530/1700 minutes for November
Wordcount +3155, 21,166/50,000 words for November

karenrn: I agree with BillBlueEyes. Arizona is taking way more than its share of news right now.

curlyjax: I hope you're feeling better. If not, I've recently learned that vertigo is better treated by medical professionals sooner than later.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Today's gratitude - I don't have to have another colonoscopy for 10 years!!!!!!!! Even that might be too soon in my book. No gory details. I don't even want to relive them.

So it is 2:00 on Friday and I have the rest of the day to putter. Thankfully I am back on high fiber foods, nuts and seeds. Credit for really missing them. I will talk a walk outside on this beautiful fall afternoon and do yoga. That is looking toward Targets 4 and 5 which are movement and exercise. Just as Beck does, Jofesburg separates them into distinct goals as well.

This will be the first day I have to get my water in while at home. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

BBE: LOL at you discovering why Amazon is taking over the world. Or I could saving we are giving Amazon the world.
Joy: I am always impressed how your goals are always so effectively measured. My mind does not work as methodically but I am getting better,.
Penny: 5 days together is huge.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:09 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday-1st known photo of so-called Loch Ness monster is taken by Hugh Gray (1933)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The productive task of the day was to lower the storm windows. There are lots of windows in this 150 year-old Victorian house. Leaking cold winter air is in their DNA. Some decades ago, we bought top-of-the-line storm windows - one of those smart decisions that has paid off. (It helped that only the top-of-the-line had a model in black; black is the required trim color of the outside of Victorian house windows according to the Architect we consulted at that time.) They're still functional, but a bit cranky. Takes holding a metal tool in a special way to move the latches. And, one has to vacuum the window-well at this time because leaves and junk find a way of getting in there. And, it's a brouhaha getting behind whatever table or plant stand is in front of the window and getting everything aligned for oncoming winter. I am seriously grateful that we don't have the old-fashioned glass windows that must be kept in the garage then hung over each window from a tall ladder.

Tracked my package of four books from Amazon; can't let go of refreshing the screen that tells me if it's been delivered. Just love that I discover that the books are on my front porch from my second floor office rather than by looking out my front door. This package raised a problem with DW. Just before I cut down the box to put it in our recycle bin, I asked her if she wanted to keep it. Long pause. "It's a particularly undamaged box. And it's a slightly different size than the whole stack of other boxes in the basement." With annoyance, she kept the box to add to her collection. A near-perfect cardboard box is to be treasured.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for hydration if that's what works.

maryann - So nice to be back eating high fiber foods, nuts and seeds like humans evolved to eat. And Super Congrats for getting a ten-year pass on the next colonoscopy. And, yes, thank you for sparing the details.

curlyjax - Hope your head gets to feeling better. You do have a bunch on your plate right now.

Penny. - Yep, Kudos for five days in a row. Must be driving your sabotaging brain crazy.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Special Advice for Buffet Restaurants

When you practice the art of buffet eating, do the following: . . .
  • If your choices are glistening with butter or oil or are covered in a sauce, take a smaller portion than you would if you'd prepared the dish at home and scrape off as much of the sauce as you can.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 149.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I''m better but definitely glad i didn't drive anywhere long distance. I ate terribly yesterday, lots of comfort foods. I have a book that lays out 4 weeks of cholesterol lowering meals so i'm going to base my week on that and get groceries today, and possibly get some thanksgivingy foods too to tuck aside.
A contact has located some other folks to help my dad which is GREAT, starting on Monday. Hopefully some of this can be paid for by his long term care insurance. Today I need to start organizing my dad's financial stuff, figuring out how and when to order supplies, and make lists. Fortunately my older brother can help with some stuff from afar. I feel much better knowing this is happening!
Bill-well do I remember my parents struggling with the storm windows.
Maryann- yay for not needing a colonoscopy for 10 years!
Gardenerjoy-I need to do extra hydration too.
Penny- yay for 5 days OP. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Karen- the line dancing is getting easier the more I do it. Just keep moving thru the dance is my motto!

Old 11-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #65  

Today is off to San Francisco. We are visiting DH's aunt. Then we head to Berkeley at 2:00 for a college buddies bday. In between I wanted to check out the Goodwill there. But in honor of movement, we will take a walk at Fort Point which leads all the way under the Golden Gate Bridge. I love my new pedometer. It is completely simple. Steps only. I will write the number on my desk calendar everyday. Low tech for me feels like the right thing.

Credit Target Breakfast. i was going to go to Starbucks but decided instead to eat my easy breakfast. Save's $5.00 and extra calories. Still aiming for 43% of my sub conscious brain food habits to be healthy.
BBE: Storm windows sound almost mythical for us here in California.
Curley: Glad your pursuit of contacts led to some help for your Dad.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:42 PM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

I'm watching This is the Army on Amazon Prime, the movie that my characters will see in my novel today. The film hasn't aged particularly well, but I'm really enjoying the technology that allows me to do this.

I'm still hoping for a thousand more words today, but I think that won't be too hard given that it will be fun to write a scene about going to the movies in the 1940s on a hot summer day (theaters were one of the few places that were air-conditioned).

Meanwhile, we'll be dealing with our first Saturday of the season with a high below 40. I'm trying to remember how to dress for that.

Exercise +45, 575/1700 minutes for November
Wordcount +1334, 22,500/50,000 words for November

karenrn: Here's hoping for some closure for Maricopa County by the end of the day. As hard as it is to watch from afar, I'm sure it's much harder being at the center.
Old 11-12-2022, 01:37 PM   #67  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was an off day for me. I drove to the trailhead and started out to hike and was just freezing, partly due to the wind. I was not dressed properly and couldn't force myself to do it. I came home, got warmer clothing on and took Otis on a walk that was about 3 times as long as our usual. I didn't manage my addicted brain as well as Penny and gave in to some extras including going to purchase a couple of sweets. I got back on plan and had a really good soup for dinner that was onions, garlic, spices, red lentils, sweet potatoes and kale. Really delicious and nutritious.

I watched more election results last night and saw our good news and hope it continues. I got out for a great hike this morning and dressed appropriately so it was delightful. I've been awake since about 3:30, so I'm sure a nap will be in order before we meet a friend for dinner.

GardenerJoy I'm afraid the counting won't be finished today, but before too long. Of course the losers are already making noise about the voting problems and I'm sure we'll be in the news for awhile, especially if Kari Lake loses which I pray she does. Unfortunately she appears very polished since she was a news announcer on tv for years. There truly was an issue about printer ink, but it was all out in the open with plenty of witnesses from both parties viewing how it was handled.

Maryann Have a great day in the city. What are you looking for at Goodwill?

Curlyjax I'm glad your vertigo? is better. That would be miserable. Also glad you've found some additional help for your Dad.

Bill Good luck with the storm window project. I'm sure they are quite necessary for a 150 year old house. We haven't even turned on our heat yet, but it's getting close. I see on the thermometer that it is 69 degrees in the house just now.

Penny Good luck to you with staying on your plan.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #68  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning,

Still going. Three of my kids and I tried the drive-in option at a local theater for Wakanda last night and it was fun. The view from the back seat was terrible but we took turns and it wasn't so bad. Lots of illegal chatter and snack bag crinkling just because we could. lol

I wouldn't mind going again on my own for a relaxing me date.

Off to take my 11yo to an owl class at the wetland this morning. Have a great day, everyone.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:39 PM   #69  

Second check-in. I'm hanging in there with diet eating but wishing I could soothe with food and a fancy cocktail. I will make it to tomorrow.

I did 90 minutes of walking around the wetland while my kid was at the owl class. There were a lot of birds to see, I'm sure Bill would better know the names for instead of "a bunch of geese, a white heron looking thing, a grey/darker looking heron thing, etc" ha!

Old 11-13-2022, 07:01 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Walt Disney's "Fantasia" premieres (1940, Broadway Theatre, New York City)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - We never eat out for lunch. A peanut butter sandwich can be squeezed into our schedules and enjoyed while reading on the computer. Except for yesterday. A "beloved" sandwich shop is closing soon after years of successful operations (because the owners just wanted to retire); we had to make a trip to pay homage. I learned that sandwiches in an inexpensive shop serving local college students cost $16. And learned that there's a stream of kids with fat credit cards ready to pay that. DW had smoked salmon, capers, cream cheese, cucumber, red onion, tomato on toasted sourdough; I had hot pastrami, swiss, Russian dressing, pickles on toasted rye. Took them home and ate outdoors on our patio in the sunshine and warm air driven up from Florida by Tropical Storm Nicole. Could have been in California or Arizona. Just unreal - all of it. Great way to go since frost is predicted for tomorrow.

Eating was on plan for breakfast and dinner, CREDIT moi. Don't know how college kids can eat sandwiches that caloric and stay looking trim and healthy. Dinner was grilled salmon so I felt healthy even if over fed. Part of the plan for lunch was to enjoy the walk from however far away we had to park the car to the sandwich shop and back. Alas, I got lucky and parked right in front - a trick that I wish I could save for a cold, windy day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your 1943 movie This is the Army looks, well, dated. I can't believe that it includes Ronald Regan and Joe Louis, them very selves. ETA: Read it more closely. Lt. Ronald Regan is a character, not the actor. Joe Louis does play himself.

maryann - Fort Point is just the greatest place to go walking. I'm so glad San Francisco has resisted putting up a zillion condos there instead of a park.

Karen (karenrn) - Hope you are able to survive the dribbling news about your election. Good to hear that Otis can tolerate a walk three times his normal length.

curlyjax - Good news that you have some potential help for your dad. Good luck finding "thanksgivingy foods" presumably in the thanksgivingy section of the supermarket, LOL.

Penny. - So glad to hear that a drive-in movie still exists. Wakanda is just the kind of film for lots of smart alec chatting and snack wrinkling. Love your names for your birds. I love "heron thing"s because they're not as common here as they are in Florida.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Special Advice for Buffet Restaurants

When you practice the art of buffet eating, do the following: . . .
  • Wait until you sit down to eat your first bite of food. It's easy to eat hundreds of calories while you're still in the buffet line; food eaten this way won't satisfy you enough, will reinforce an unhelpful habit, and will leave you with less food to eat once you sit down.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 149.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I'm still feeling a bit off and taking it easy today. I'm going to make a bean and barley soup in the crockpot and I bought some other healthy things to eat. I haven't exercised in eons so may take a walk if it stops raining. I did buy a turkey and cranberries which I froze. I'm going to my friend's house for late thanksgiving on Saturday, and i'm not sure what my kids are doing (one is working and the other might be with a friend) so maybe i'll save the turkey for Christmas. I have some time to figure it out.
Bill- nice to visit a sandwich shop one more time. Yes, everything is so expensive!
Penny- great job hanging in there. So fun to walk around the wetlands.
Karen- that soup sounds great. Glad your election is finally winding down.
Gardenerjoy- fun to include a real movie in your novel.
Wave to nationalparker, hope you're okay!
Old 11-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #72  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. We met a friend for dinner and I was really disappointed in the food. I checked the menu beforehand so I knew I was having a kale and romaine Cesar salad and hold the cheese and some edamame. The salad was supposed to have pistachios, raisons and tomatoes. All I got was some romaine lettuce for $8.50. I should have complained, but we were visiting and I didn't want to interrupt our conversations. The good news was that there were tvs so our UW/Oregon football game was on and dh was happy. I'm agreeing with others that restaurants are expensive. I don't mind when the food is good and it's a treat, but I'd have to say I'm going to be more selective.

Today I'm staying home and doing some laundry and spending a little time in the office (which I've already done). Laundry is underway, but the washer takes awhile. I'm washing some blankets as well as the other bedding so it will take much of the day. I got my Omicron booster on Friday afternoon and haven't even had a sore arm and I'm so grateful for that.

I've found a recipe for mushroom vegetable Wellington that I'm going to try for Thanksgiving along with a kale salad. We are also going to have dessert, but I'm not sure what yet. Dh would like cookies and ice cream. I might like some pumpkin pudding, like pie filling without the crust.

Curlyjax The bean and barley soup sounds really good. I love barley. I hope you feel back to 100% soon.

Bill Your sandwich sounds delicious. At some time I may have to go off my food plan to have a really good Reuben sandwich. I'm with you, I don't understand how these young people can afford so much.

Penny Congratulations on your streak. The drive in movie sounds fun. Were you warm enough?

Waving to the others.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:28 PM   #73  

Good morning,

Yesterday was on plan and weight has not come down in a couple days.

I had been trying to reduce my carbs all week and swapped my English muffin out for eggs in the morning. My thinking, upon seeing another unchanged weight this morning, was that if my weight is going to stay the same at least the toast makes me happy- and then I had my English muffin (avocado toast) breakfast again. Not very stay-the-course of me.

Planning on another walk at the wetland today. My 11yo wants to see what the trails he missed are like.

Curly, the soup sounds good! I'm sorry you're having the vertigo.

Karen, that's a bummer about the salad misrepresentation. Eating out is such a challenge! Not cold at the drive-in because we leave the car running for the radio. I wish they had the old speakers.

Bill, the sandwich sounds delicious. Hopefully the next business in that space is a good one.

Waving at Joy and Maryann.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:06 PM   #74  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Great weekend. San Fran was beautiful. After visiting with my aunt, I made a "targeted" change of plans and walked the newly redeveloped Chrissy Field. It is spectacularly beautiful with the sail boats, the Golden Gate, Alcatraz. I logged 9,000 steps. At the bday dinner I focused on protein. Credit.

Last night we stayed at the ranch. DH and I walked our place this morning. It was also beautiful. I take it for granted. We have 322.2 ( I asked DH) acres of mixed open and orchard that is bound on the east by the Sacramento river. All sorts of wildlife were out. We saw owls, heron and a lone pelican that lives in an adjacent slough. We think it's wings are hurt. 11,000 steps so far today. 125 carbs which is close enough to 100 for the first day. All in all then I have hit 4 of the Target 100's 6 targets. Really I have 5 because sleep is absolutely no issue.

For today, California is a mighty fine place to live.

Wave to all.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:33 AM   #75  

Too late second check-in. I did a nice walk again and then came home to work on some cooking. Extra calories were had with an unplanned dinner: pea soup, grapes, and some stove top stuffing. Blew the carb goal by a lot.

Carrying on.
Closed Thread