Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 09:01 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had a fabulous massage. I can tell I have a lot of tight muscles in my neck and shoulders and it did help a bit. Maybe I'll book one for every other month, its pricey but worth it. DS braved the crowds and bought himself some much needed clothing, and brought home some Kohls cash which he generously offered to me, so I'll zip into a store after work sometime. It was a pretty relaxing day. I had a long exhausting conversation with DD but it ended ok and I did not lose my temper or eat over it. Today I need to get to the dump, make two pies for our friendsgiving meal and continue arranging some finances for my dad. I'm going to start planning for Christmas too with the fun things like buying some pretty Christmas cards. I don't send many these days so I can splurge on the ones that I do. I am LOVING having 4 days off in a row.
Bill-yay for the turkey sandwich the day after, that is the best.
Gardenerjoy- wow, that pumpkin pie recipe sounds very rich. Nice that you aren't missing it anymore.
Karen-glad you had a nice thanksgiving. Mushroom Wellington sounds good.
Maryann- I didn't know there was an open season of cross country!
Old 11-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Curly: I cross country at a groomed park. That is probably different than Easterner's do. Here snow is curated like a museum.
BBE: Me thinks the subliminal addictive packaging of mechanized candy will always out play the facial tissue. Very few messages of love = facial tissue reside in our sub conscious as opposed to food = love memories.
Karen: Glad all was well with Wellington.
Joy: I am taking home half of Mom's sweet potato pie and blissfully ignoring all that went into it. It counts as a veggie this week.

Yesterday was drama as I insisted we find two appropriate barstools for the cabin and a nook piece of furniture to make a small home office for me up here. The drama comes from DH's complete resistance to change. So as usual, I search for items. He gets grumpy. I purchase said items. He returns them. We find better items together and Voila - two perfect wooden open style stools and a beautiful old Davenport with five drawers. Then DH sits on one of the stools and says grudgingly, "this is a pretty nice piece of furniture." Sheesh. In many ways I have been pushing this man up hill our entire relationship starting with marrying me and then having a son. ( He was dead set against having children and now DS is the light of his world.) Thankfully, DH has many attributes that keep me grounded. He is financially a wizard. He is in charge of all motorized vehicles and takes point on any conflict with service people. A match made in heaven

Credit for lots of walks, reasonable meals and water.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:13 PM   #138  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was a little off plan yesterday with an extra snack and a dollop of ice cream on top of a baked apple for dessert. Today food has been on plan and dinner is almost ready. My friend and I did a hike this morning that had a new section which was fun. We did a loop hike that we have done some of before, but always headed off in a different direction. It was fun coming down the new trail even though we got off track just a little.

I'll do a better check in tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:20 AM   #139  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Whew! I had a lot of catching up to do. It sounds like you all had a nice Thanksgiving.

I had a quiet one at home with a bunch of garbage instant foods, and the last of a turkey we cooked several days early. Every year I think I'm going to watch the parade on TV and then we can't figure out how to get reception with our little antenna.

Today was my first day back to work after a glorious 2+ weeks off. My eating has gotten so bad, my first day back to work had me trying to fill a bottomless pit without satisfaction. I added it up in the calorie app and it totaled 3600 calories. My weight it really up there now.

My divorce did finalize on 11/1 and we have another two months until the renters will vacate my house. I decided I should start packing some stuff now so my co-parent can start filling in with new stuff slowly. I figure it will be less traumatic for the kids that way, rather than all at once. First we moved my 70s style dining set to the garage and he moved in an antique mahogany set. It was onky $45 at the thrift shop.

Of course the kids don't like it but they'll be used to it in a day or so, and then all of my books can woosh out next.

Maryann, I admire the way you are able to work through things with your dh.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:29 AM   #140  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up SundaY - Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel's will establishes the Nobel Prize (1895)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Great fun was an extended family after-Thanksgiving dinner with the eight of us and seven other relatives. When I asked if the hostess had made the Italian Pizzelle, I learned that the 20-year-old college son had done them. Neat that a young man is comfortable making stuff. I brought the same deconstructed salad that I'd brought two days before to most of the same crowd. The same two granddaughters eagerly made it; they were observed, again, sneaking red bell pepper slices while doing so - as if being naughty. Can't get over that they're at the age that sneaking bell pepper slices is naughty. I ate rationally for a grand family event, CREDIT moi - even close to rationally for a regular day. I had one plate; ate slowly while balancing multiple conversations; had exactly one Pizzelle for dessert.

Of course, to make pizzelles, one needs the special pizzelle iron (shown if one scrolls far, far down the above link). It's like a waffle iron but thinner and with the classic pizzelle design. Naturally, the family had one; my great nephew had grown up watching his mom use it so it wasn't a new experiment for him. It seems almost calorie free because it's so light. OK, Dr. Google just told me it's 78 calories per. That's not exactly near-zero. It's only closer to zero than a large bowl of ice cream over an ultra-chocolate brownie topped with whipped cream, pecans, and a maraschino cherry. The trick is to choose the bad guy for comparison when one needs to make an indulgence seem tolerable, LOL.

maryann - Yep, it's those "food = love memories" that get us every time. Super Congrats for your convoluted path to getting the bar stools that you both really like.

Karen (karenrn) - Ice cream over a baked apple sounds like real food. Neat that there are still hiking paths in Arizona that you haven't traveled.

curlyjax - Congrats for taking care of yourself with a massage. Fun to get to use "Kohl's Cash" with real buying power.

Penny. - Congrats for moving forward with your divorce and move with concern focused on minimizing the impact on the kids. In our history, even a simple change of furniture was met with great resistance. Love the bargain of a dinning room set for $45.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Confidently Follow Your Plan at Social Events

They didn't think they could go to a bar and forgo the free snacks or extra drinks. They especially feared parties where hors d'oeuvres were offered, not to mention a heavy main course with dessert.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 150.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:33 AM   #141  

I had a nice time at friendsgiving and I think my kids did too. There were 13 of us, 3 dogs and 2 cats which remained hidden. I made the mistake of checking in with my dad at one point; he sounds miserable and very confused. I think we need to push to get him out of rehab and back home, even though it hasn't been long. I felt a bit sad that my kids don't have cousins near their age or living close by (much older and far away) as there were cousins there, and I was a bit envious that the only dad/male adult there seemed like someone I would like as a husband. Then last night I dreamt about this same widow friend having only 6 weeks to live, so I think my brain was saying-hey! Be glad these people are in your life and be grateful for what you have. I feel better this morning other than having eaten too much, and am determined to work on physical ways to de-stress. Today I am returning DS to his campus and then may shop on the way home which would be fun for me.
Penny- that is great that things are moving ahead. Sounds like a good plan for moving things bit by bit. I remember my kids being sad when DH's old car was sold for a new; change can be a challenge indeed.
Bill-so fun to have another get together. Pizzelle's are so pretty but I would rather spend my calorie's elsewhere
Karen- sounds like you've been doing pretty good;hard not to snack on extra pie.
Maryann- yay for getting DH on board albeit slowly. My DH was the same in some ways.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #142  

Good morning!

I had a sane breakfast and entered it into the food app. I read some more of the Target 100 book. Credit!
Old 11-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #143  

Good morning coaches,

No hiking today. I got up early and have put up the Christmas decorations including decorating the tree and went to the grocery store for a few items. I've got steel cut oats cooking for the week and a little later I'm making lentil loaf, sofritas, two kinds of roasted potatoes and brown rice. That will give us some options for at least the start of the week. I need to get to Costco for produce, but that can wait a day or so. I do have some things here.

Otis has a rough spot near his nose that looks like some kind of a growth. I'll call the vet in the morning, but it is a worry. I hope it's not any big deal.

Penny You've got a lot going on. It sounds like a good idea to start packing. Maybe you'll even find things that don't need to go, or at least that's what I did before we moved here.

Curlyjax The Friendsgiving sounds like it was fun. About cousins . . . I have 50 on my Mom's side alone. We rarely spent any holidays with any of the families and I always thought it was because their families for so big they didn't need any more relatives. I found out a few years ago that it was because my Dad didn't want to be around all the commotion. Dang him. I bet some of those families had a darned good time.

Bill The pizzelle's sound very good. I think I would like something like that cookie that was ginger or spicy. You know we have so many hiking trails around here I'm sure I'll never hike them all. Of course the area is very large too and I kind of have my favorites.

Maryann I'm glad you found some bar stools that suit both of you. Dh and I have done pretty well over the years agreeing on furnishings. I think the thing we agree on now is that what we have is just fine.

GardenerJoy Your dinner sounds very good, but I think I would want the pie too. I need to find a recipe that will work for our food plan that is a pumpkin pie.

Have a great day all of you!
Old 11-27-2022, 11:59 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Sunday, Coaches.

I have been abstinent from Bliss Point Food since Nov. 20. Today I review my credits and focus on the next big step:
Credit
1. Low carb breakfast
2. 100 oz. of water
3. 100 mins of exercise
4. 100 mins of motion
5. 2 lb weight loss.
6. Movement before Mysteries

Focus: for this week:
1. Closing the kitchen by 6:30 pm
2. track Food.

I dropped Mom off yesterday morning. It was a good visit but can be stressful. I am a people pleaser and try to keep everyone happy. I used yesterday afternoon to make the walnut gift bags I am sending to family and friends for Christmas. I transferred our farm logo on to one pound muslin bags using up-cycled transparencies from school. I filled them with our shelled walnuts. I added a fantastic organic walnut butter and some trimmings. Pretty cute and the shrink wrap should protect them while shipping.

Today is my last day of freedom. I really accomplished a tremendous amount of organizing and decluttering. I am proud of myself. I'll just allow myself to putter I think then travel down to the ranch to eat with the boys.

Penny: In AA we say "First things First." Minimizing the drama of such a emotional time takes so much energy. It makes sense food habits are coming second. You have lost weight before. You know you can do it. Be easy on yourself.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #145  
Green Tomatoes

My challenge for NaNoWriMo, at this point, is less about reaching 50,000 words and more about reaching THE END. I suspect that I'll reach 50,000 words first and I'm still hoping to reach THE END by the 30th.

Exercise +70, 1475/1700 minutes for November
Wordcount +778, 48,645/50,000 words for November
Old 11-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #146  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - The Times of London first printed by automatic, steam powered presses (1814)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with only an unneeded afternoon snack. Dinner was the classic post-Thanksgiving repeat of the big meal - all warmed over. Everything reheated well; I suspect that the sausage dressing was even better than the first time. The leftover salad that I'd brought home from the previous day's family gathering was OK except for the pecans. I should have removed the pecans before putting it in the fridge. The pecans absorbed moisture to become wimpy. Wimpy pecans are just the worst.

Spent some time reading for my classes this week. I had spent some of my off week getting my reading done but, alas, had to put off finishing it up until the last minute. Gotta imitate college just a bit. Spent a bunch of the day clearing my email inbox of ads for "Black Friday isn't over", and "Cyber Monday", and "Giving Tuesday." I suspect that we're headed toward year-round Black Friday specials. DW asked if I wanted any new clothes for Christmas. Probably - if they magically appeared in my closet. My criteria for a shirt being worn gets lower each year. Just a little frayed but no big holes is becoming acceptable. I do retain the terror induced in me in my childhood that it'd be awful if I got taken to the hospital and had a hole in my underwear. So, I do retain that limit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It's been a fun month watching your NaNoWriMo word count marching forward. I suspect that you're curious to see how your story ends. I've always wondered if Dickens, while publishing each week as he wrote, wondered how the story would end.

maryann - Kudos, indeed, that you "have been abstinent from Bliss Point Food." Sounds like you have a relaxing day planned.

Karen (karenrn) - Hope the spot on Otis is simple and benign. Glad that you know to tend to it right away.

curlyjax - Neat that you had a successful friendsgiving. Thirteen people is a good-sized gathering.

Penny. - A sane breakfast is a good start to the day.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Confidently Follow Your Plan at Social Events

I never want you to avoid a social event for fear that you will overeat! These events are an extension of eating out, and you will use many of the skills you used for restaurant eating. The more you practice, the easier these situations will become.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 150.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #147  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and weight is the same. It's cold here this morning so I didn't feel the need to rush out and hike but I'll go within the next hour or so. There is a new Rich Roll podcast out this morning that I can listen to. I did get my cooking done yesterday, so it's nice to have some things ready in the fridge. The lentil loaf was okay, but I don't think it's something we'll want very often. Unfortunately it made 8 servings, so I put half of it in the freezer. Dh was putting some Aquaphor on the spot on Otis's nose and a softened scab came off. I'm not as worried now, but will call the vet this morning.

I've received the 5 pounds of raw cashews from Amazon so I'll get busy making some Buttery Cashew Brittle in the next day or two. It keeps pretty well and I'll make a few other goodies to give to friends. I'll send some to dmil first since I have to mail that bit.

Bill I have reminded myself that if I didn't need something before I still don't need it on CyberMonday, but dh did want some new earbud type headphones. I ordered them and saved $30 from the price I paid for mine in September. Otherwise I will try to stay away from looking at all the bargains that I don't need.

GardenerJoy That is so exciting that you've almost completed your book. I really can't imagine that sense of accomplishment.

Maryann Super congratulations for staying away from Bliss Point Foods and the two pound weight loss. That is excellent, especially over Thanksgiving.

Waving to everybody else and I'll slowly get ready to head out the door.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #148  

I delivered DS back to college yesterday with a bunch of bagels and leftover pie.I did use all my Kohl's cash and then some, buying some stocking stuffers and warm gloves.Then I puttered around at home a bit and called a few folks to check in.I dumped the rest of the stuffing, stale rolls and gravy. I'm down to squash soup, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. I will send some pumpkin pie home with DD today- she had to work late last night so i'm driving her home today. I'm also going to my first chiropractic appt with a new chiro, to deal with issues of my neck and hopefully some of the off balance feeling I still have, albeit mild. I'm taking a vacation day because the timing was getting complicated.
Quick wave to everyone- I'm inspired to try some vegan cooking by your folks so I'm treating myself to a book called Plant you, which is supposed to have easy recipes.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #149  
Green Tomatoes

I suspect that I'm engaging in some wishful thinking about how much I can consume of leftover stuffing and bread pudding and still maintain weight. But, I'm not quite ready to face reality yet. Here's my promise that I will sometime this week.

I have pumped up my strength training in the last couple of weeks. That can cause unpredictable and unmeaningful scale readings, so that's my excuse. It's a YouTube series by one of my favorite fitness people. She designed it for beginners and seniors to do five days a week, for short workouts after a cardio session or warm-up. I'm doing things all out of order to get it to mesh with the Yoga With Adriene calendar and other things that I have going on, but it's still working well for me.

Exercise +70, 1545/1700 minutes for November
Wordcount +375, 49,020/50,000 words for November

karenrn: I used to make a lentil loaf that was better left over as a sandwich filling with bbq sauce and a little mayonnaise.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #150  

Good morning,

I got a raging headache yesterday after work, after a day of lower carb eating. It subsided after some medicine but is creeping back in today. I'm also upset that one of the grocery bags remained at the bottom of the stairs all night and contained the chicken for the chicken noodle soup I planned to make today. Sorry, I'm doing the opposite of giving thanks today lol.

Well, I am thankful for one good eating day, and a second in the works for today.

Have a great day, everyone!
Closed Thread