Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We're both feeling recovered today -- yay! It's good to notice that, because I sometimes forget to notice the days that I feel good, which feels like a real waste on days that I don't.

I did yoga for a fresh start this morning. Hoping to get back to long work sessions this week -- that worked for me for four days last week. I'm hoping to make it five days this week, but there are some challenges to that.

Exercise +50, 620/1500 minutes for September
Old 09-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #62  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a planned off food day. I had my regular breakfast and lunch but then enjoyed the food from the afternoon gathering including the cake. This group always brings tasty food. I didn't eat the flank steak or shrimp, but did have the corn bread and cake which I don't include as part of my regular food plan. I got up and hiked for a little over an hour and a half this morning in the 77 degree temps which felt glorious even though it was pretty humid. After that I took Otis for a walk and checked on my neighbors house (she's on a cruise). My chore for the day is to wash all the glassware that is in a couple of glass fronted cupboards in the kitchen. I'm going to take my time so it will take at least a couple of hours, but it will be nice to have it done.

GardenerJoy I'm glad you and dh are feeling good again.

Bill That's great that dfgd has the underpants on already. I bet it was nice sitting in the recliner on the porch and maybe you could just leave it there. Oh, I bet dw wouldn't agree to that for a minute.

Maryann The granola balls you made sound really good. You are busy will your frugal month. We've done such a good job with rotation that our freezer is almost empty. I'm going to need to leave a little more room in the fridge and freezer before long to include things that our guests eat.

I think I'm having a bit of a hungry day after yesterday, but also breakfast was a long time ago. I think it's time for an apple so I can delay lunch until at least 11.

Waving to the others.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:44 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches..

Good day today. Most days I feel I am stealing the money. A few days feel like they can't pay me enough.
I am down another pound. yeah. I realized yesterday by accident that yesterday was exactly 100 days to my birthday. I set a weight goal 10 pounds in 100 days. I have written the progress I made for the day on the calendar.
Credit for no sweets at work, yoga, box checkers, and sitting down to eat dinner with DH. Often I eat before him.
Frugal credits:
I packed lunches with the leftover Swedish meatball. No food waste. I received the new with tags consignment bras of sister sizes. They both fit very comfortably at a fraction of my usual cost.

DH and I binged the Netflix mini series Dropout about con artist Elizabeth Holmes. Unbelievable how she fooled so many of the country's smartest people. I also am in the second season of Endeavor. It is masterpiece mysteries. i finished my box set of Elementary Season 1 - 7. if anyone would enjoy it, i'll send it to you. Let me know.

Karen: Wow - hand washing. You are a better person than me. Everything goes in the dishwasher.
BBE: A big day for big girl panties. I remember the triumph 17years with DS.
Joy: I reacted badly to the flu shot once and never got it again.

Wave to everyone.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:50 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - The temple of Jupiter dedicated on the ides of September (509 BC, Rome)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Visited the dentist to have the post inserted that will be the base of the crown added on in five months. Not pleasant, but not a problem. Only after I was done did the assistant hand me the instruction sheet that said not to drive for 24 hours. How was I to get home? And to have a liquid diet for a few days - or at least not to chew on the left side. Naturally, I drove home and continued with the meals already planned, only skipping the raw carrots that I normally eat with dinner. Can't take directions seriously that should have been given in advance. And the mouthwash that I'm to use for two weeks comes with the instructions "Rinse with 1/2 capful BID." Thank you google for telling me that BID means "bis in die" or, for those not fluent in Latin, twice a day. [/pettiness]

DW and I married on the ides of September more than four decades ago. We'll celebrate by wishing each other "Happy Anniversary" and pledging to do a restaurant at the next convenient time. Some folks are surprised to learn that the ides are not on the fifteenth for all the months. The Romans were smart, but had their traditions.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Great that you're feeling recovered. Just as you'd mentioned, in the Introduction of The Birth of the Chess Queen by Marilyn Yalon, "While preparing for a lecture at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston on my book A History of the Breast, I was shown a small ivory figure of a Madonna and Child by one of the curators, who referred to it as a "chess queen"." Looking forward to reading the book. When I read that sentence to DW, she snorted, "Could be a long book; the breast has been with us quite a while."

maryann - I'm mesmerized at how Elizabeth Holmes became the first Unicorn female billionaire in an uber brief time. Henry Kissinger was one of the old men caught in her charms. Is the series, Dropout, worth the watch?

karenrn - LOL at the image of you and guard-dog Otis checking on your neighbor's house.

MommaMeli - Thinking of you and your family.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Create a Food Pusher Mindset

I have found that dieters tend to significantly overestimate how disappointed other people will be when they turn down offers of food - as well as how long other people's disappointment will last.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 141.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-14-2022 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Added a missing quote (")
Old 09-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had a great time with my friend. We took a walk, did some shopping and chatted a lot. I had two other friends over to meet her for dinner and that was very fun, although of course I ate too much and have been eating the leftovers. Exercise yesterday was mowing the back lawn; exhausting but gratifying to see it done.
I’ve been reading up about on line dating which I may dip my toe back into even though i’m nowhere the weight I want to be. That will limit my choices but maybe a nice guy with a dad bod won’t care. My friend took some photos and will send them to me, so i’ll wait for that to decide.
running out of time so personals tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:41 AM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

I'm running a meeting at 8:30 this morning. The arrangements for this one have gone wrong every step of the way. I'm hoping that it's like theater productions -- a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance. It's also possible, that this quarterly meeting has run its course and it's time to let it go. So, I'm trying to hold that possibility in mind without forcing it and without feeling like a failure if that's what needs to happen.

We ran out of lettuce more quickly than expected this week, so I'm headed to the grocery store much earlier in the week than expected. CREDIT for eating lots of salads and for accepting what needs to be done.

Between an early morning meeting and a grocery run, it's going to be a real challenge to meet my goal of four hours of writing today. I'm approaching it with curiosity because that's more fun than gritting me teeth in determination. I wonder if I can make this work.

Exercise +65, 685/1500 minutes for September

BillBlueEyes: Happy anniversary to you and DW!

maryann: DH and I are currently watching The Crown on Netflix. We were into the second season when the queen died, so that has made it all the more interesting. It's a re-watch for me, but I was happy to do it since season 5 will be released this fall.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:49 AM   #67  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I'm trying to stay off the scale until Thursday in case Sunday set me back. My friend and I had a great 2 hour hike this morning. It rained for a little bit, but it didn't last and it is so nice that it is beginning to be cooler. Otis decided he was not walking today, so I gave up and let him come back in.

I purchased my ticket to Thailand this morning. I'll be going from 1/15 thru 1/31. I have one stop and it is in Vancouver BC. That about tells you how long the flight is . . . very long, but I do have an aisle seat and it is an overnight flight (partly) so I'll hope to sleep on the flight. I'm hoping we can go to Viet Nam, Laos or Cambodia during the time I'm there. We'll see.

GardenerJoy I hope the meeting goes better than you thought it might. I hear you about the lettuce. I can't believe how quickly we go through produce when we're really eating it. The fridge is super full and then all of a sudden it isn't.

Curlyjax I'm glad you had such a good time with your friend. What would we do without them?

Bill Happy Anniversary! Dh and I do about the same as you and dw for celebrating. I love when instructions are given so late. When dh had shoulder surgery they suggested it would be best if he slept in a recliner for the first bit. Would have been nice to know since we don't own one. A little late then.

Maryann I'm glad the new bras fit, that's great. 10 pounds in 100 days sounds like a reasonable goal; good luck on that. As for the hand washing. The glassware is delicate and would have taken even longer in the dishwasher since there is a lot of it. It wasn't bad, I watched some You Tube videos as I washed.

Waving to Penny, MommaMeli and Nationalparker.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #68  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Another quick check-in.

I've been on plan for a couple days. It would have been four but we celebrated a family birthday dinner out and extra calories were consumed. There's always an excuse but it was a fun meal and I thoroughly enjoyed the rare treat of having all of the kids out together.

Exercise was some walking and up and down some bleachers on Sunday, and a 20 minute upper body exercise video yesterday.

Bill, lol about the late dental procedure instructions and driving yourself home.

Curly, good luck finding your dad bod and weeding out the trash. Lol

Karen, yay for Thailand tickets! It's nice to have the trip to look forward to. Good job getting right back on plan after your planned off plan meal.

Maryann, I'm glad your school year is going mostly good and you got a haircut you love, a wardrobe tailored to your features. It sounds like a great start to your year!

Joy, four hours is a nice big chunk of writing time. I must have missed the goal/reason somewhere but sending you supportive well wishes.

Waving to Nationalparker!

Old 09-14-2022, 07:10 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - George Frideric Handel finishes his "Messiah" oratorio in 23 days (1741)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Went to an in-person class for the first time in some three years. They provided masks with see-through plastic portions over the mouth to help folks who partially rely on lip reading. Turns out it also helps me identify which person is talking on the other side of the room. Felt so good to chat with a buddy during break - like real life, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Since I was at the supermarket around noon before I'd had lunch, I took the opportunity to pick from their hot table. Passed on a yummy looking eggplant parmesan sub mainly because it looked like a zillion calories. Skipped the Buffalo Hot Wings for the same reason; I learned a few years ago that the magic ingredient that makes chicken wings so good is chicken fat. Duh! Settled on a leg-thigh Teriyaki Chicken. When I went to serve myself at home, I wisely took only the thigh. It was enough for lunch. CREDIT moi for a small sane act. Offered the leg to DW who claimed it for her dinner on Thursday when I'm going out for dinner. Double win.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at "I'm hoping that it's like theater productions -- a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance." Maybe. It's tough to determine when it's time to let a group dissolve. Yep, Kudos for the consumption of lettuce.

karenrn - So neat to make the commitment by purchasing your ticket to Thailand. Now you can seriously plan for those side trips. So, Otis reserves the right to assert his stubborn streak; good for him.

curlyjax - Neat that you're comfortable have a few friends for dinner. Like real life in the olden days. Good luck with the online dating quagmire. Seem like folks are much more accepting of real-life body types when they meet in person on a hike or canoe trip.

Penny. - Taking all the kids to a restaurant is a neat treat. It's fun to be reminded that they like each other enough to want to do that.

MommaMeli - Continue to send supportive thoughts to you and your family.

Readers -
Quote:

Dieters are frequently amazed when a food pusher accepts their refusal and either changes the subject or tries to push the food on someone else.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #70  

I went to a meetup last night and had a really fun time, although the organizer seemed intent on disparaging the event that I had organized last month. I guess some people are very competitive or clueless. Anyhow I have a thick skin and could care less. While I was there, one of the friends that had been at my house on Sunday texted me that she now has covid, yikes. So I’m waiting to see what happens. I feel find now anyhow.
I have been wayyy off program and need to rein it in yet again. I start off so motivated but then life happens. I have my annual physical next week and am getting labs done, so that will be interesting to see how things are.
Penny- I’m not seeing much potential out there, at least men that have my same values and somewhat attractive, but we’ll see. Bleacher walking sounds like very good exercise.
Karen- how awesome to have that trip to look forward to! Glad its getting a little cooler for you.
Gardenerjoy- thanks for the reminder of the Crown, I stopped at some point but should get back to that. I find the young prince Philip very annoying but maybe he will grow on me.
Bill-yay for sane bits of chicken. Cool to have masks that are see thru.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #71  
Green Tomatoes

It looks like our group will live to see another day. The majority opinion was that our group is enough different to some newer groups to still have purpose. Plus, we had some ideas how to refresh and reenergize things.

Today feels like another rushed day. I walked this morning with a friend. I have a number of follow up activities to pursue from a variety of things that are happening in the world of education in my school district and neighboring ones. I still want to do my four hours of writing today. And more.

The good news is that, for the most part, this is staying just below the level of overwhelm and that it's not generating a desire to eat (mostly because I don't have time for recreational eating if I'm going to accomplish all the other things on my list). I'm aware that I want to watch that overwhelm level, however. Things can all fall apart pretty fast, including that I forget that food doesn't solve overwhelm.

Exercise +45, 730/1500 minutes for September
Old 09-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Day, Coaches.

Yesterday DH and I met with Calstrs - the company that holds my retirement. As a Calstrs remember, I do not qualify for any Social Security - even if muy husband passed. So this is a pretty big deal. the numbers look good. Probably one more school looks reasonable but any additional year increases my benefits 6%. That is huge. I was ridiculously anger with DH when we got out of the meeting. He wasn't excited at all, Claimed 10 times there would not be anything left for me to collect because of mismanagement. Made cutting statements of me retiring too long. Etc. . . HE was the most negative person I have ever encountered. Furious, I had to practice all my new found skills to not rage t him. I breathed, took my anxiety med and blared music all the way home. There is no chance for a reasonable discussion when I am like this. I locked myself in my room and didn't talk to hime this morning when I was still furious. I started to have chest pains again. I took the afternoon off and will try to calm down by napping. I don't what the solution is but I have had it with his negativity. I do know I don't have to eat over it.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:59 PM   #73  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan and I did get on the scale, which is holding. I had a good hike this morning by myself and listened to an interesting podcast. After that I walked Otis, got cleaned up and did a few things around the house before meeting a friend at the movie theater to see Vengeance. At first we wondered, but ended up really liking it. We're eating out of the fridge again today and tomorrow I'll get some food in the house. We've done a great job eating pretty much all the produce etc.

Since it's time to fix dinner I'll post personals tomorrow except that I want to say to Maryann that I know that feeling and I'm sorry. I know how awful that feels. I hope perhaps dh apologizes and sets things straight. Is he jealous about your ability to retire sooner?

More tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:10 AM   #74  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Scottish bacteriologist Alexander Fleming discovers penicillin (1928)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Due to a one of those marital mis-hearings, I signed up for a course that meets on Wednesday because I thought I'd been told that our days of picking up the (6 yo) DGD were over once she started 1st Grade. Mistake. So, I went to class and DW drove to get the DGD from school, consume a couple of hours, then drive her home. It's only for twelve weeks but feels like I've lost her from my life. The class had the first-day boring aspect; the leader insisted on telling us what he was going to tell us in the future. Since the subject is solving problems in statistics, he just presented the problems without discussing the solution. It will get better next week when he has to discuss the meat of the topic.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was eaten inside just because we were both busy and can do that faster. On our Anniversary, DW had served swordfish; "For your Anniversary enjoy driving a species to extinction," she smirked. Whole Foods swears that it gets sustainable swordfish from time-to-time when she buys it. Maybe. She believes them.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Wonderful thought to not have enough time for recreational eating.

maryann - Ouch for the communication with your DH that felt negative on such a sensitive subject. I, too, have Casandra friends who believe that all the sources of retirement money will evaporate at the next economic cycle. If it happens to everybody, hard to imagine that there's a safe defense. I'm betting that we'll all be OK. Hope a good night's sleep helped you.

karenrn - Continue to admire your ability to listen to podcasts as you hike. Vengeance looks pretty dramatic.

curlyjax - Ouch for COVID appearing nearby. Hope it's a miss for you. Yep, cluelessness abounds.

MommaMeli - Wish you and your family well.

Readers -
Quote:

Just think, if you ate differently from other people (and perhaps you do) because you were vegetarian, kept kosher, or had to follow a special diet for health reasons, you would have to turn down people when they offered you certain foods. It would probably be easier because you would feel entitled to do so.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #75  

We had a late afternoon function at work where I was super hungry and ate too much of bad things, and ate later when I was hungry again. This is what happens when I don’t have a plan set out for the week- it was so fun to have my friend here but I never went grocery shopping. At least I still have healthy stuff for lunch today and will probably get panera tonight. DD is coming home tonight so she can drive to a clinical tomorrow, so its takeout.
I’m definitely in a lazy pattern of not getting anything done which I need to break!
Knock wood i’m still feeling okay!
Maryann-sorry about that interaction; great job for dealing with it and not eating over it.
Bill-hopefully you’ll see DGD on the weekend sometime?
Karen-great feeling to eat out of fridge and not waste the produce.
Gardenerjoy-I hear you about staying under the level of overwhelm.
Closed Thread