Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #166  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I'm still eating poorly and up in weight. I did a small hike with my 11yo on Sunday, and tennis yesterday (credit!) But need to get something going inside during this heatwave.

Today's focus is cutting out the dairy that has snuck in more and more.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 07-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am typing this from my classroom. I had to put in a teacher work day before I leave Friday for Carlsbad GIA Diamond Grading class. I will actually miss a PD day and will start officially work on Aug. 8. The best thing about coming back to work is a clean carpet. Whooo Whoooo! The latte stain is GONE! Also good is we retained the two good admins that were pretty much a prereq. for me being able to do my job.

Huge Credit for yesterday is I did NOT eat Mom's mac and cheese. As most of you know that is my #1 rabbit hole/ shame food. I made myself a deal i could eat anything else, just not that. I actually ended eating lots of vegetables. Well done. Plans for today are a salad and closing the kitchen at 5:00.

I commit to strength work with weights, lunges, etc. . . while listening to my assignments. I have a bunch to finish and suddenly the curriculum has become extremely difficult. 😥 Much vocabulary and skills. My eyesight is becoming a challenge. No use worrying, as DH says. We will know in a week if I can do this or not. I remind myself I became a professional teacher after 34 years of work. At best i will be a well studied proficient in gemology. That is ok. I wanted something completely different and I got it.

Karen: Bon Voyage.
BBE: The strawberries were awesome in Ecuador and plentiful. BTW fun fact. Ecuador exports roses. You can buy them there for $2.00 a dozen.
curley: glad MRI went well.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #168  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Metric system becomes a legal measurement system in US (1866)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was failing to get my car inspected. The place I go - that nobody else uses - was packed. Wasn't willing to wait so I'll go in this morning. "Come in fifteen minutes before opening and you'll be first in line." Maybe. I'll do something. Everyone is trying to get inspected before the end of the month. I'm not given special consideration just because my inspection sticker expired last month; I'm late already. Seems that I don't have a good system to remind myself of yearly events. It did force me to check my driver's license and car registration; they're both good for one or two more years.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Another ham sandwich for lunch, continuing to work off the previously frozen chunk of spiral ham. My guess is that I'm so into ham because of the salt. Or because we had good ham when I was growing up, albeit not spiral. So funny to think about it but spiral ham wasn't invented when I was a kid. (Ooops, I'm wrong. Spiral ham was invented in 1924 by Harry J. Hoenselaar in Detroit who later built the Honey Baked Ham empire. Thank you mother google.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Pictures of flooded St. Louis give me the shivers. DW is jealous of your rain - but not your floods. Would be nice if it were spread out just a bit.

maryann - Kudos for avoiding the mac and cheese. Good luck facing the vocabulary and skills demanded in your gemology course. Your continued flexibility as a teacher might just well work in your favor here.

Karen (karenrn) - Bon Voyage on your adventure. You're certainly well prepared.

curlyjax - Glad that your MRI was OK - kinda frightening to be peeked into.

Penny. - Neat that your 11 yo. wants to hike with you.

MommaMeli - Thinking of you guys and continuing to send supportive thoughts.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

challenging situation skills

At the Event

9. Use Resistance Techniques. At the event, if you are tempted by unplanned food, do the following: . . .
  • Distance yourself from the food.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 136.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:53 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Fabulous lobster roll at lunch yesterday and really not that many calories. And a nicely done corn on the cob too. The lunchroom was packed and everyone went away happy. I indulged in some dessert afterwards in the whole mode of “i’m eating so much anyway, why not keep going”. 30 pounds seems so much to lose, I don’t like being hungry, blah blah, I’m definitely in the wrong mindset these days. All I got done yesterday was bills and picking up some library books.
My avatar is one of the 3FC and not a photo, so maybe that’s why its showing up.
Penny-I’m right there with you, I’m eating way too much. I’m craving sugar a lot.
Maryann- huge credit indeed for not getting into the mac n cheese.
Karen-ooh, have a great trip!! Can’t wait to hear about it when you return.
Gardenerjoy- good idea for the covid test.
Bill-thanks for the reminder, I need to get one of the cars done too. Fortunately its not the car that’s now making a grating noise- I haven’t used it for awhile so I feel like its punishing me for neglecting it
Old 07-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #170  
Green Tomatoes

I got off and running this morning with a community organizing project and taking electronics to a recycling event. I feel like I've done my good deeds for today, although community organizing always has a herding cats quality that takes a while to resolve to satisfaction.

None of that requires food for fuel. I'm motivated to keep sodium down and water up today because we have an early morning annual check-up with the doctor tomorrow. The COVID test was negative, so I can go into a medical facility with confidence.

Exercise +40, 1425/1600 minutes for July
Old 07-28-2022, 10:23 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good evening, Coaches.

All packed for San Diego. I even had my diamond ring and necklace cleaned. I want to look at them under the microscopes I am bringing my paddleboard and hope to use it after my 8 - 4 classes. I hope I packed appropriate clothing. I imagine it is casual with lab coats on. Our jeweler went through it and she says I will be fine but it is very intense work.

No exercise today. Hopefully that will be reconciled tomorrow. I've brought necessary food. Money saver and diet saver.

I finally wrote a response to my friend. I laid it on the line : who I was, my faults, my strengths. I told her she gets to determine how much time she spent with me. We could be in each other lives often, infrequently, or not all. whatever her decision I would always love her. That is the bottom line of a 40 year friendship. I feel good about it especially since we are to have a group reunion in September.

Wave to all.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a bill creating NASA (1958)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was the first gazpacho of the season made from cukes from our garden. It's the time of plenty from the garden. Such abundance that DW is handing out tomatoes to her buddies when they do volunteer work together. Lunch was a tomato sandwich - first of the season. I topped it with thin slices of "Strikingly Sharp" cedar cheese to made it to-die-for. Makes me vegetarian for a day. A foray to the garden after dinner brought home even more. Life is good.

Excitement was being second in line to get the annual inspection for my all-electric Nissan LEAF. The only negative was my parsimonious brain whispering to me that since I was already 28 days late, I could have waited three more days and gotten the sticker marked AUGUST - saving approximately $3 (1/12th of $35 annual) at the mere cost of being a scoff-law subject to a fine if caught. Got distracted by asking the guy how they can make money on electric cars. "Tires and brakes," he answered, "and they're going to be more expensive because they are currently subsidized by oil changes - that go away." "Do you know about magnetic suspension?" he continued. Here are some pictures to help you visualize how a sub-$100 shock absorber can be upgraded to a sub-$500 shock absorber because it makes the ride more better. Previously, I'd never heard of them; now I NEED them. Kinda like boy toys for grownup boys who can't afford a mega-yacht.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good luck with your annual checkup today. LOL that community organizing is like herding cats.

maryann - Super Kudos for writing that letter to give your friend a chance to make a sane decision on your friendship. Maybe she'll ask a local friend for advice and get her head straightened. Happy trip to your gemology institute. Neat that you'll have the paddle board to reset your mind at the end of the day.

curlyjax - Absolutely drooling over your lobster roll - just gotta get out and have one of those soon. Kudos for collecting all your negative thoughts so you can face them all down. And set yourself a doable goal - say five pounds. I do recognize giving an attitude to a car that isn't behaving, LOL.

MommaMeli - Sending supportive thoughts to you and your family.

Readers -
Quote:

At the Event

10. Give yourself credit. Praise yourself at the moment for every positive eating behavior you use and for each instance of resisting unplanned food that tempts you.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:11 AM   #173  

Yesterday exercise was a little stationary bicycling and a little dancing around, as we had a band at work. Eating was mostly on plan except for an unexpected brownie which wasn’t even that good. I’m going to focus on making sure I eat plenty of veggies and fruits at any rate, and drinking more water. I did get some decluttering done too including getting rid of some dust under my bed, so that feels good. I had a chat with my dad to figure out what kind of help he needs, which is complicated as his memory is poor, and we’ve agreed on once a week housekeeping to start. I kept my temper with DD later at night when I was tired and didn’t want to resolve a minor issue. So all in all a productive day. Now that I type it out I feel better, as some days I feel like nothing gets done, but those conversations count to me!
Gardenerjoy- nothing like a dr appt to motivate one!
Maryann- have a great trip. So fun to see your jewelry under a microscope. Good for you for writing to your friend.
Bill-interesting about the electric car. Drooling over your tomatoes! you're right, I should just make a mini goal and stick to it.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #174  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Back from our trip and laundry is running, so I feel especially organized, despite a few trip-related items still to be put away. I was unable to access more that just the first page of the July posts on my phone and kindle, and didn't bring the laptop, so no checking in, though I tried each day. I don't keep clearing cookies when I have an issue, though, because I do want sites to load quickly when I'm on the road and not on home wifi. UPDATE - tried to post this and had to keep logging in and refreshing from my laptop.

Food was fine on the trip - we met my sister's SIL at a restaurant on our way into town (well, on the opposite side of town), but it enabled her to send him with a few large suitcases loaded with stuff from my house that she's taking YAY, and he brought a large cutting mat that needs to travel to her via car, and we'll do that at some point, but now it's looking like next year. Anyway, we met at his fave restaurant, a Thai spot, and had a nice meetup. She is visiting them now that our time there is done. Credits for packing a lot of healthy snacks - watermelon (which we finished up on the drive home), grapes, bananas, cherries and a homemade potato salad with no mayo, just distilled white vinegar/dijon dressing and some onions and pickles diced up. Lasts a long time in cooler/fridge and a treat.but no points for my sister's WW..

I have to get out in the garden and on the patio to water everything and trim what needs it. Will get the Sam's marketing run done and one quick stop to a smaller grocery for different veg if needed after I do my inventory update. Lawn needs a mow finally but I hope DH tackles that this morning. Since he has a truck that needs a fair bit of work (from his folks estate), that is what he's enjoying doing I hope he remembers he bought a kayak and can get out with that, too. I, however, will set aside time to paint as well as meal plan today.

Karen- Safe travels! I hope you DO get some cooler weather, but it's been sounding so hot in the PNW as well.
Bill - My SIL is wealthy (I guess I had to write that first) and got the new Audi electric car after waiting a year or so for $125K. I cannot IMAGINE. He said his registration is very expensive because no gas is purchased for it, so they hit you there as well. My goal was to buy a used Leaf since my state doesn't give any tax incentives at all, but this is far down the line... currently we still use COAL for a majority of our electricity (Indiana), so after realizing that is the case, my goal to move toward more elec here is on hold until that changes.
Penny - I love that you are getting out and playing tennis with family. I cannot imagine with the heat, though.
CurlyJax - I'll join you on setting a doable goal and working toward it if you want a partner. I keep thinking I need to lose a lot and then stressing about it instead of just using Karen's a little bit at a time and move forward.
Maryann - Good luck with your big exam, it sounds daunting ...major credits to you for preparing and learning so much about an interest!
GardnerJoy - I had to laugh at your herding cats comment. I use it often but also say why am i doing this without treats? haha. We have a lot of DH's folks electronic devices to drop at that recycling here after he clears them. A few could be sold back to Dclutter for a couple hundred, so that was good.
I need to go back and read what I've missed later today, just caught up on the past few posts.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #175  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was okay. I'm still not eating to lose but there was no snacking.

I rarely go to the movies but went and saw Marcel the Shell and it is great. Someone on 3FC alerted me to the stop motion YouTube series years ago and now it's turned it into a movie. Two thumbs up from me!

Today starts a four day work stretch, which is more than my usual. I'll survive. lol

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 07-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #176  
Green Tomatoes

The doctor visit went well. I'm hoping the blood tests are all normal. If so, that's done for a year. But we do need colonoscopies and Shingles vaccines. So, I'll start to get those things scheduled.

Our schedule is off since we fasted before the blood test. We ate a very late breakfast, so here's my reminder to wait until I'm hungry for lunch. Sometimes the clock improves my eating, but this is one of those times when I'll be better off waiting for my body to decide.

My cat-herding has had a couple of successes and on the way to one more. I enjoy that I'm the sort of person who has the phone number of a school board member and that she happily takes my calls. I never imagined that would be my life.

Exercise +50, 1475/1600 minutes for July

BillBlueEyes: DH is currently watching a video about NACA, precursor to NASA. Now, I know why that video was released today:
. The History Guy is local for us. We get a kick out of it when he occasionally does obscure St. Louis stories.

nationalparker: Welcome home!
Old 07-30-2022, 06:29 AM   #177  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - English novelist Emily Bronte who wrote "Wuthering Heights" born (1818)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was a trip to the brick-and-mortar library to pick up "I am Jazz" - that just caught my attention as a book that's popular to scream about and ban. Just had to see. Surprised that it was published way back in 2014 - not like it's a new "woke" book. Says to be for ages 4 to 8. Quick read; fine kids book. Nothing to get riled up about. Except that Jazz was very clear from the age of two that she's a girl - despite being identified as male at birth. A pleasant distraction from the many other serious issues of the day. I wore a mask inside - seemed to be the only one. Feels so funny to walk in; walk directly to the reserved book section; check myself out using a machine that magically identifies the book (even a stack of books) without opening them; take my receipt; walk out. All without so much as speaking to a librarian.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was dahl - only slightly warmed in honor of the warn day. Along with a monster tomato salad using one large red and one large yellow tomato from our garden. DW's version of tomato salad is simply chunks of tomato flavored with basil and olive oil. Can only happen in summer with garden fresh tomatoes. She's now handing out cherry tomatoes to all takers. I suppose that I need to accept the brief time span of fresh tomatoes to fully appreciate them.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad that you both survived your doctor's visit. Thanks for the NACA video; fun to remember that NASA had a previous name.

nationalparker – Yay, indeed, for two suitcases of stuff transferring to your SIL. I do admire her electric Audi even though it's more than I'd pay for a car that lives in the city. Would want a locked, heated, garage. And a chauffeur and a butler while I'm dreaming.

curlyjax - Not everyone has a job where they can get "a little dancing around," LOL. Congrats for taking a step forward helping your dad.

Penny. - An "OK" day is a good thing. And "no snacking" is always good.

MommaMeli - Continue to think of you and your family.

Readers -
Quote:

After the Event

11. Prepare for rebound desire. You also have to prepare to follow your plan after each challenging situation. Some dieters unravel when they get home and reward themselves for having been "so good."

Old 07-30-2022, 09:22 AM   #178  
Green Tomatoes

We took advantage of nice weather for a longer walk. I'm hoping to repeat that today.

For the quieter moments of the day, I'm exploring how attention and intention might improve the ways that I show up for my own life, including how I approach my health.

Exercise +50, 1525/1600 minutes for July
Old 07-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #179  

Lunch was very good yesterday at work, chicken kebob with roasted vegetables, so I had that instead of my lunch. I had my salad lunch later in the day at home. I was feeling lonely and depressed later in the day so dinner was ice cream and popcorn (DS was out so I didn’t have to make dinner for him). And I was feeling stressed about DS’s living situation for the fall at college, he’s living with 2 people he doesn’t know in a suite, and I’m imagining the things that can go wrong.
I’m definitely in a funk. I have got to work on the whole emotional eating thing. Maybe go back to journaling. There’s definitely a correlation between messy house and overeating, so I’m glad i’m working on the house too, albeit slowly.
On with the day. I’m going to pick lavender with a friend and then go to a beach so that will be fun. She’s a friend from college and I’m so glad she lives closeby, as she’s the only college friend that does, and we act like giggly 18 year olds when we’re together.
Nationalparker-yes! Lets work toward 5 pounds, or whatever you want to do. Glad you had a nice trip with good food.
Penny- that Shell movie looks adorable. Good luck with your four day stretch.
Gardenerjoy- it is cool that you have the ear of a school board member!
Bill-yes to me, part of going to the library is intersecting with a librarian. The whole self check thing still seems odd.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #180  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hopped on here to catch up with posts later from what I posted this morning to find that my post never linked in. Nothing grand reported.
Bill - The Audi elec car was her SIL's, i don't think anyone in our family would pay anywhere near that for a car. That's about what my house cost when I bought it. I always thought I'd be buying a used Leaf at the point that our state moved away from coal for electricity. STILL using fossil fuels in this state, so we try to cut back anywhere we can but it seems like we're wildly in the minority. Hanging washing out to dry when I can, etc.
CurlyJax - Now I'm remotivated. Let's do it. I have been floundering for too long. Making excuses. Eating this or that up so it's not a temptation, vs. eating with focus on health. Journaling is definitely something that helps but I need to follow through.
Joy - I, too, am looking closer at how I'm spending my time, now that I have more time to spend on my own interests. I like the idea of living slower, mindfully and not in a race to tackle stuff. I hope I can continue this. Mending clothing that needs mending, culling my closet and removing items to donate that are not flattering or comfortable, and trying to include creativity in each day. I'm working on morning pages again, and hope that helps.
Closed Thread