Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 08:55 PM   #76  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default We're now living the retired life!

Now DH and I are both retired! Goal had been enjoying fun experiences while living frugally and saving heartily to retire by age 55. He made it a few years early. I met him in the driveway and his grin was ear-to-ear! Our evening has been a celebratory dinner OUT at a local Mexican spot and have now wrapped up dining out for a while. I had skipped lunch and went with just two cups of popcorn and I cannot go to a Mexican spot with tortilla chips when I'm too hungry. Nuff said. Sheesh.

Tomorrow is back to his folks and a few random errands (including dropping off old ammo at local police station). Filling the third dumpster as quickly as we can bc rain is moving in late morning and will be a solid workout with hauling big rugs, old broken toilet, just huge stuff.

Booked another sale price trip to my sister's in September so have that to look forward to. This will be the year of family vs new places.

Met via zoom with my challenge partner and we both ran into a mental break and are resetting with daily focuses and think that will work/can't hurt if it doesn't WORK. haha
will prep our lunch and fruit for tomorrow's work. Some days it's just the little things that will move me along, not any big achievement.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - False Dimitri I, an impostor, crowned Russian tsar (1605, rules until 1606)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made the journey to Staples to return a spent laser ink cartridge. Yep, got a $10 credit that I immediately spent on storage boxes. I have two conflicting goals: 1) Get rid of 'stuff' and 2) Get it all into labeled boxes. I did discard, CREDIT moi, almost a cubic foot of travel brochures for exotic islands that I'd accumulated from travel shows. I'd wander about getting my wander lust excited and bring home stacks of glossy literature. Which would then sit, unread, for years. So, a stack of it gone. Goodbye Tahiti . . . methinks you might no longer be a good fit for my Bucket List.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was red beans and rice made with an old New Orleans recipe given us by my sister when she lived in Louisiana. "Red beans" contain a lot of ham. Not only the juices from the bone for flavor, but chunks and chunks of ham. We failed to add the sausage since we had enough meat from the leftover ham. It so tasted of the deep South. Spooned over white rice, of course, and lots of tomato ketchup. Collard greens was the side dish that DW pointed out was missing the prescribed ton of bacon grease. Set my arteries back a year at least, LOL.

Could hardly breath watching the hearings from 8-10 last night. Watched on the TV in the living room; was glad that I didn't try to watch it alone on my computer as was my original plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Does seem useful to get a project done to create space for all the others. Reminds me of my friend who, when he couldn't make his sculptures, sharpened his chisels.

maryann - Yep, Kudos, indeed, for doing your Peru trip in a way that allowed you to make a new traveling companion. That bass boat trip sounds fun.

nationalparker – Happy family retirement. May you avoid the temptation to get back in the game. Love this, "his grin was ear-to-ear!"

Karen (karenrn) - Good news that your COVID booster didn't cause a reaction. Sounds like a fun trip to the store with a good bulk foods section.

curlyjax - Kudos for taking on the serious thinking about your future path. Seems like most folk just wander on.

MrsCalypso - What a great idea, "I use a small custard dish that keeps me sane."

MommaMeli - LOL at the thought of the two-year-old setting the table - you get what you get. Congrats for starting your kids young understanding that everybody does something.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

The Special Event Calories Decision

A piece of cake can spur a craving for more sugar. And some dieters start to feel resentful: Why do I have to wait for a special event to eat more calories? Why do I have to limit the number of time I eat Special Event Calories each week or month/

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 129.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:29 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 191/191/185 (for now)

Height: 5'8"

Good morning coaches (Day 9: Pick an exercise plan)

Thank you all for the good advice on exercise today. I feel like I struck gold when I stumbled on this forum. This is really good coaching.

I’m going to set the bar low: 252 minutes of exercise for the rest of the month. That is only 12 minutes a day. If the Apple Watch counts it as exercise, I will too.

Credit yesterday for planning easy & practical ways to make time for dieting & exercise. I’m still a little nervous about feeling deprived once the actual dieting startis.

Credit also for putting down my fork between bites at breakfast. I was so much more satisfied. And, amazingly, I felt fuller longer as well.

gardenerjoy I'm inspired by your minutes of exercise a month. I like that it averages to a very reasonable 15 minutes per day, and the flexibility to increase a little one day to make up for a miss the day before.

[b]maryann It sounds like you have figured out how to make exercise a priority in your life long term. That’s what I want to do, but I don’t think I realized it until you posted this. (Also I’m imagining the embarrassment of my DS (12) if I tried to pull off a work out while waiting in line somewhere. Kind of sounds like added fun for me!)

[b/karenrn
Noting what I do everyday is a good idea too. Thanks!

nationalparker Congratulations to living in a fully retired household! I hope the transition time goes well. As much as I love DH it is hard to imagine being together all the time!
Old 06-10-2022, 07:44 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave as I'm running late. I did terribly with eating yesterday, onwards with today. Another good thing about my job is I can eat food whenever so I dont have to eat breakfast or brunch until i'm truly hungry, as I'm feeling stuffed already. At least I did the stationary bike for a good 30 minutes. I've been watching Minimal mom videos about decluttering while I ride the bike, to get motivated on the decluttering tasks. Mommameli do you watch or listen to something entertaining while you ride?
Nationalparker- yay for DH retirement!

Old 06-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 200/166.5/150

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

Good morning, , Coaches!

All the decluttering talk has me inspired today. I got through an apple box full of old medical supplies. It seems like a LOT of stuff. I realized I need to compartmentalize the contents, so a goal for the weekend is to secure some shoe boxes from the local shoe store. I'm hoping this will help me be able to find what I need when I actually need it.

Today is Day 15, Monitor Your Eating.

I'm not doing a weigh-in today, as instructed, because I have already decided to try weighing only once a month again. I used to only weigh once a month back at a time when I was maintaining at a lower weight, and I liked the way it felt to have the longer breaks.

Other tasks today are "follow your food plan"-I have one! Check! "Monitor your eating", meaning check in about whether I followed my plan, "give yourself credit" when following the plan, and engage in positive self talk even when I might have gone off plan.

Today's instructions are all about putting the plan and any changes in WRITING. Well, I don't want to do that AT ALL. That said, I do send a recap with any changes to my sponsor at the end of the night, and I don't mind doing that.

Thanks for being here for me, all!
Old 06-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #81  
Green Tomatoes

I woke up with low energy for the third day in the row. But also, some new evidence. A sore throat, this morning. A higher mold count and more varieties of mold in this week's allergy reports. So, I'm blaming allergies. That tends to help me -- something to accept and to make the best of without expecting too much.

Exercise +40, 450/1500 minutes for June

nationalparker: We found old ammo (including full metal jacket) when cleaning out my parents' house. It took us a while to work out what to do with it. My parents lived in a small town, so eventually we figured out to call the chief of police who promptly sent an officer to pick it up at the door.

BillBlueEyes: I also abandoned my solo computer-watching for the living room TV. Some commonalities with a horror movie. Thanks for the visual of sharpening chisels -- that's a good metaphor!

MrsCalypso: I scribble my food plan on the same sheet as my to-do list in the morning. I was resistant at first but have grown to find it useful over the years. For one thing, it helps me catch things like "I can't have a salad at lunch until I've washed some lettuce." But I know others have had success without, too.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #82  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Other than the couple of dates, food was on plan yesterday and weight is the same. I received a text from my niece yesterday and she had just arrived in town from Washington with a few friends. She's the one that visits frequently and hikes with me. I picked her up at 4:40 this morning and we hiked Sunrise to the top. It was 84 degrees at the start and luckily only a few degrees higher when we finished. A cloud covered the sun during the descent so we weren't as hot as we could have been. She gave me the good news that they're expecting a baby on New Year's Day. This is Barret's Mom who will be 4 on 12/6. For those newer here, Barrett was born at 24 1/2 weeks and under 2 pounds and spent the first 3 months in the NICU. He is truly a miracle little guy and doing well.

Well dh is home for lunch so personals tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:29 PM   #83  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good afternoon!

My stress is building because next week is my last week off before work. I'm allergic to work. but I'm feeling recovered so it should be okay. I just need to build up my exercise again and hopefully I'm okay'd to do everything by my last post-op appointment next week.

Eating has been off. I've made my usual plan for today and the kitchen should be closed to me now. Excerise will be walking to pick up my daughter from school.

Nationalparker, congratulations to your dh for retirement! That must have been a pleasant dinner out to celebrate.

Mamameli, good luck with the exercise goal! Creating a habit is probably more important than long sessions in the long run. I need to do that too.

Karen, I'm glad you mentioned the booster because it reminded me to call about the booster for my 11yo. Did you really mean to type 1 pound loss every two DAYS? Yikes. I can barely get 1/2 pound a week when I'm doing everything right.

Bill, I love purging clutter so getting rid of that stack of travel brochures would be so satisfying! What else can we get rid of? lol

Old 06-10-2022, 10:23 PM   #84  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm beat and going to bed fairly early, but we accomplished a lot today at his folks' home. Big trailer was sold, dumpster nearly filled, bags all ready to get loaded for recycling, and basement is 90% done. There were old canning jars from about 30 years ago all jumbled in a pile Under old blankets, still had food in them, but lids had rotted out. A mess. DH was VERY appreciative of all the work. He mentioned a few times how much of a trooper I was to still be doing this on our 50th trip out there. The end has to be in sight. Unlike his brother, who remains absent.

Food was planned, brought salads with lots of veg and marinated white beans. Prob the same tomorrow... I wish we had a microwave there.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:40 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Abigail Adams to John Adams, re Independence, "Remember the ladies" (1776)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Over the top excitement was attending, in person, the musical "1776." Just amazing in many dimensions. Most visible: an all female cast. Every male of the crowd debating whether to split from England was played by a female cast member. Also: most diverse cast of any show I've seen. They looked like a meeting of the United Nations. The key issue of 1776 is Edward Rutledge (Sara Porkalob) of South Carolina forcing Thomas Jefferson to remove from the Declaration of Independence that slaves would be free. Porkalob presents a round, Asian face, cynically making the argument that slavery was economically required in the South and any mention of it in the Declaration would be a basis for a "No" vote - blocking independence. So dramatic to hear the arguments of Strom Thurman made by a female, Asian face. Definitely a must see if it gets to your area.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a 'gathering' of items that needed to be consumed to free the fridge, consumed sitting on the patio: reheated grilled salmon, tabbouleh, humus, stuffed grape leaves, and green salad.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL, but with tears, "Some commonalities with a horror movie."

nationalparker – So good to hear that your DH appreciates the work that you've been doing. 30-year-old canned food sounds like a pain to dispose of.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for the update on Barrett - the miracle baby. Neat that you'll get to hike with your athletic niece.

curlyjax - Neat that you have something that you want to watch while you ride your exercise bike.

Penny. - Yes, "I'm allergic to work" - should be able to get a Doctor to write you a chit to stay at home for a decade or so to tend to your allergy.

MrsCalypso - Congrats for taking on that box of old medical supplies. BTDT. We did have some bandaids that were so old that they fell apart after the DGD had worn them for a few minutes.

MommaMeli - Kudos for setting your exercise goal, especially working to designate time to do it.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

The Special Event Calories Decision

Another downside is that the extra calories can slow the rate of your weight loss a bit. Having Special Event Calories to spend works really well for some dieters - and not so well for others. You'll have to decide what is best and easiest for you.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 130.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Eating was dreadful yesterday. I seem to be needing some real motivation to get back into the swing of things. Excitement was my new gyn's office calling to tell me that I have two active health insurances- what? Apparently the cobra one was never cancelled even though I haven't been paying anything for it. It's no wonder our health insurance system is so messed up. I called my old job to tell them they are the ones who need to fix it. The other excitement was receiving an air fryer. I have heard such great things about this machine and it sounds like a good way to avoid heating up the oven. It is fun to get a new toy once in awhile!
Today I'm supposed to pick up DD from Boston so she can attend a grad party and then bring her back home. It's a pain but I did promise so she could have a little fun. I also want to help my widow friend get rid of some stuff and bring it to the dump. They both sleep late so its going to be interesting to time all this. I have no food plans yet other than not to overeat.
Nationalparker-glad DH was appreciative of your help, its nice to have it acknowledged!
Penny- I'm sure your stress is building, thinking about work. I'm glad you're feeling better anyhow.
Karen- that is so wonderful that Barret's mom is expecting again!! I'm impressed she's feeling well enough to hike.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #87  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for walking yesterday afternoon when it was 82 degrees. Our high today will be 89. Then, it's unrelenting highs in the 90s or 100s for the foreseeable future. That's not unheard of in Missouri, but it usually happens in mid-July, not mid-June. I'm preparing myself to do indoor exercise for a while.

We ran into a supply problem, yesterday. DH's new lunch dish that he's working to perfect requires frozen shredded hash browns. But the freezer section for potatoes was about half empty. Including no shredded hash browns. We learned, yesterday, that shoestring french fries weren't an adequate substitute, mostly because they have oil and starches in them. The hash browns are just potatoes. I'm going to try a different grocery store today. It feels weird that frozen potato products have a supply problem in the US.

Exercise +50, 500/1500 minutes for June
Old 06-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #88  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan. I slept poorly and luckily dn decided not to hike with me this morning, so I turned the alarm off and went back to sleep for a bit. It's supposed to be 113 degrees today, so I plan to do some indoor things for the most part. Dh is out doing his walk. He is very regimented in a good way. Once he establishes a habit he is more consistent than I am for sure. I think I'll do a little meal prep since I kind of like doing that and it's an indoor chore.

Curlyjax Your mention of the air fryer reminds me that I should be using it more. It really is great for not heating up the house like the oven does. Dn is very fortunate that she is feeling just fine. She is super fit and even went to the gym with her friends after our hike. Oh to be young and fit. Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you.

Bill The play sounds very good. We call the dinner you had, "Clean out the Refrigerator". They are often very good dinners, but with some odd combinations at times. Yours sounds delicious.

Nationalparker I don't think I said my congratulations to dh on his retirement. I'm sure he always appreciates all the help and hard work. I bet before he retired he had a bit on his mind and it might even have been a bit nerve wracking. I'm glad you've gotten so much done. Seems to me that the two of you should be keeping track of your hours and charging the estate for the work.

Penny I'm glad you are feeling recovered even if you are allergic to work. I'm allergic to work too. Yes, I did mean to say 1 pound every 2 days. The other premises in the book seem fine, but that one seems crazy unless a person weighed 500 pounds or something. And even then it would only last for awhile.

GardenerJoy I hope you're feeling better.

MrsCalypso I think you're doing a great time monitoring your eating with sending the recap to your sponsor. I'm appreciative of the mention of each days steps to remind me of what I try to do. As for weighing yourself once a month. Heck if it works for you great. I find what I really like is the Happy Scale ap on my phone. Not available for Android, but what I like about it is that it gives a moving average. So if my weight jumps up the moving average shows a much smaller increase. Of course that works the other way too.

MommaMeli It's a great idea to choose a doable exercise goal. A person can always do more, but it feels good to be consistent and follow through with the goals we set.

Waving to Maryann who I assume is having a grand time!

Old 06-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #89  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. I did not walk to pick up dd because it rained pretty hard and I decided to drive her straight to the theater for Jurassic World 3. She had us watch all of the movies together and was eager to see the new one, after her new BFF recommended them. We enjoyed it.

I signed myself up for beginning tennis lessons at the community college, looking forward to a new acivity and scheduled exercise. It's difficult to find in-person classes, as most things are still offered remote. I noticed a remote juggling class. lol

Off to buy a tennis racket, which I'm sure we have owned and donated in the past. Have a great day, everyone!
Old 06-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 191/191/185 (for now)

Height: 5'8"

Hello, all!

Today is Day 10: Set a realistic goal

So I'm all in for the 5 lbs. I haven't actually weighed myself in a few month, so I don't know where I'm starting from, but my tighter clothes prompted me to restart this. I know weigh in is coming up soon.

Credit for continuing to work on putting my fork down between bites. And credit for exercise. Yesterday I decided I'd put all the bikes away after the mowing, even though I normally ask the kids to do it. It took 15 minutes, and I tried to do it with gusto to make it count as exercise. It is well over 90 already here. This morning I picked the garden and that worked out to 15 minutes as well. So it looks like I'll be looking for ways to continue making extra effort to move around more. I guess on rainy or slow days I can just ride the bike. Right now I have visions of scrubbing my kitchen floor and hauling mulch for the garden in the coming week.

Busy Saturday around here. Have a great weekend!
Closed Thread