Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 02:21 PM   #31  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan since the unplanned snacks yesterday. This morning I got up early and met my new friend for the Bell Pass hike. I heard about her Explorer Chicks hike in Moab. She had a good time but forewarned me to anticipate that there may be some who are not prepared/trained. As long as I'm not that person, I think I will be okay with that. Unfortunately it is hot enough that we need to hike when gate opens so we can finish before it's too hot. It's 86 in the shade of my patio at 10:50 this morning.

Penny I'm so glad to hear from you, but wish you were feeling better. I hope you are better soon. I bet you are stoic and will feel so much better once you are recovered.

GardenerJoy So what kind of exercise did ladies do in the 1940's?

Curlyjax The soup sounds delicious. Do you have some hilly areas to walk? That seems like a great way to build your endurance.

Bill Yep, I just find the beating myself up is not a working deal. It just prolongs things. So as for your house. Are you going to find a carpenter, or just paint the house?

Nationalparker I'm doing a challenge too. I have restarted this one a million times, but I am doing a plank and the YouTube arm exercises until I leave for Washington at the end of July. It is only 15 minutes or so a day. I have the time. Good luck to you on your challenge.

Maryann I'm glad you went to the lunch room and saw that the previous day was long forgotten. So funny how a situation feels to you/me versus how little importance it held for others. A good thing to remember. I'm thinking of your dh and hoping things get better for him at least on a couple of fronts.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:42 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Thinking of Penny and a complete recovery with as few negatives as possible,

DH had a GREAT night last night. I had bought tix to his favorite singer - Crystal Gayle. He has seen her several times but really wanted to talk to her to thank her for all the music that as meant so much to him for 30 years. When the concert was over we hung out as long as they let us. We were scooted off but the usher said to talk to the man in the black suit selling t shirt. DH was hesitant but i urged him on. turns out the Man was Crystals husband of 50 years. DH told him his story and started crying. The man hopped on his phone then ushered us outside to the tour bus where Crystal cam out and gave him a huge hug. WOW!!!!!!! The husband said to look them up when they did a Vegas gig in Oct. The couple was absolutely the salt of the earth. She even hugged me. She is Loretta Lynn's sister so it is no surprise they were just plain good folk. I am very happy for DH. It meant the world to him at a very tough time.

For me, food is out of balance and a struggle. I am going to close the kitchen early and take a nap. Up late last night.

Karen: let me know about Moab.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #33  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello - a brief check-in this evening. Day 2 of my challenge went fine with ample veg and bike, yoga for beginners as well. It's been a decade since I regularly did my yoga practice. I hadn't realized it was so long ago until I put thought to it. What had been near daily for years just went by the wayside. That is the past. Funny how scale readings that bring dread on the way up are more palatable on the way down. My friend started her personal challenge and is just a day behind me and we're aiming high.

All the talk of potatoes has me itching to prep my mayo-free potato salad (with diced dill pickles). Our temps are roaring into the upper 80s next week, sounds like a perfect time. Personals tomorrow (why do I feel compelled to announce that like a flight changing gates or something)...but two quick ones...

Penny - I hope your recovery proceeds smoother for you! I think you need to start a tough chicks group.

Maryann - Your Crystal Gayle story is amazing. I LOVE hearing good stories about good folks - it reinforces what I already believe to be true. Also, what a great usher - he could have just moved you out of his area. I'm so glad your DH had that connection, esp at this rough time. I especially love her song, "You've Been Talking in Your Sleep" - it was on so many of my mix tapes decades (?) past when she released it.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:38 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - International Space Day (since 2001, by Senator John Glenn)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had two really good concluding classes for our Spring semester. Feels sad to complete them, but glad to get my time back. For our class based on the Paige Harden book, we had to read two VERY NEGATIVE reviews - one in the New York Review of Books and the other in the Los Angeles Review of Books. Whacked us all upside the head. Forced us all into discussion about what we believed from the book and what might be stretching the known science. One reviewer was 100% negative on every nit, writing with clever, clever put down sentences. Was easy to grow to disagree with him simply because of his style. The other was respectful of the arguments put forward by the book but wasn't so convinced that the conclusions were proved. Fair enough. Was influenced by those arguments.

Other excitement was having our painter arrive to scrub our new front porch in preparation for applying its required second coat of oil based sealant. The sealant is required; didn't make it shortly after the porch was installed last fall because wet days set in. The gallon of sealant cost $80! Getting a touch of the new costs of construction.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks. Dinner of reheated grilled salmon was accompanied by mashed Hubbard Squash. I used to be called upon to help peel and slice the Hubbard Squash. DW discovered that she could buy a peeled half which perfectly served her needs. Alas, when shopping, there were none. She had to explore the frozen veggie section of the store that had acres of it. Already cubed. In small bags. The price caught her by surprise since she thinks of Hubbard Squash as a cheap winter vegetable. Feel like a curmudgeon facing the real world. But am grateful that we had that choice.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat to think that ladies exercised before Jane Fonda and VCRs were invented. DW reminded me that she knew someone who had a baked sweet potato for lunch every day.

maryann - Your Crystal Gayle story is the best story ever. Super Kudos to your and your DH for pursuing his desire to meet her. I'm listening to
as I type. And then a dozen others.

nationalparker – Congrats for doing day 2 of your challenge. Wonder if maryann's high school kids would have any idea what you meant by "mix tapes," LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Sobering to be reminded that you need to get out early to hike before the heat sets in. The pieces of wood that are rotten have to be replaced before painting - no choice there.

curlyjax - Congrats for limiting yourself to 4 tortellini. Neat that you can touch bases with manfriend.

Penny. - Wow! - a story of survival. Perhaps it's some satisfaction to find out that there were serious physical causes of your problems. Hope your body now gives you a steady recovery.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Before You Move On

To naturally lengthen the time you walk, consider wearing a pedometer - an inexpensive device you wear on your waistband that counts your steps.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 125.
International Space Day (since 2001, Senator John Glenn)

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-06-2022 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Typo: too => two
Old 05-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Busy day at work but i did get into eating way too much junk again. Exercise was helping my friend lug some twin mattresses to the dump. We forgot it was cinco de mayo and went to a mexican place and boy it took forever to get food. Beautiful weather, we’re definitely heading into warmer temps. Short day today and some errands, and I will take a walk. Dinner is various leftovers. I’ve been working on eating more beans and that is going well.
Maryann- what a great story! Glad DH had such a nice time.
Gardenerjoy-I’m envisioning ladies in old fashioned gym outfits doing calesthenics for exercise. Fun topic!
Penny-so sorry you’re having a rough time. Good to get the warning about emotions, that does make sense.
Karen- I do have some hilly areas, I remember pushing the stroller up and down and boy was that exercise! I wouldn’t want to be one of the unprepared folks on a hike for sure.
Nationalparker- Are you following a specific challenge or making up your own?
Bill- Interesting about the reviews, and a good reminder that someone being respectful can be much more influential.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #36  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Appetite is still low and weight came down into the next decade it has been resisting for more than a year. I guess the swelling is coming down a little, and of course the weight of the removed parts is deducted.

The pain is still pretty bad but no more nausea. It will be another pajama and multi-nap day.

Excitement is all of the twin sheets and duvet covers I ordered for the kids should be delivered today. I have delayed spending the money for so long but it was getting embarrassing. The kids sheets are shabby and the duvet covers are kid prints from forever ago, all missing closure buttons. The problem is I'm very cheap, yet not cheap at all (okay, it's still Target but ya know, the nicer stuff haha). I made the stuff last longer than it should have because when I do buy, I buy the nicer stuff and it costs a fortune. They will be loving their sophisticated new bedding.

Maryann, fantastic story about getting to meet Crystal Gayle! I was obsessed with her long hair when I was a kid and wished mine could grow that long. I'm so glad to know she is still touring.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #37  

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan. I decided not to hike today, but I did take Otis for a longer than usual walk. We did fine until we were almost home and a rude garbage truck was in the neighborhood to pick up someone's scheduled heavy trash. I picked him up and carried him a house or two until the truck was out of view. I've been puttering around and have been doing some vacuuming and laundry and organizing the refer. I was listening to a YouTube this morning and the guest was Kristen Hong who has written a book called Fridge love. The pictures of the book looked so interesting and luckily it is available at the library. It is just a really organized fridge with beautiful glass containers. I have a hold on the book.

Penny I'm glad the nausea is gone. Pain is bad enough, but in my book nausea is the worst. I hope every day is a little better.

Curlyjax I'm glad you have a short day today. Maybe it will make the weekend feel longer.

Bill Thanks for putting the Crystal Gale music in your post. I wonder if Hubbard squash could be baked with the peel on and then peeled when it came out of the oven? I don't think I've ever cooked Hubbard squash.

Nationalparker Isn't that the truth about seeing the numbers on the scale on the way down. Good for you for continuing your challenge. I had to force myself yesterday, but I did. I baked purple sweet potatoes yesterday for the first time. I prefer the yellow ones I think, but I did hear the purple ones are really nutritious.

Maryann That was just a super story about dh getting to meet and hug Crystal Gayle. Perfect timing for such a great experience.

Waving to GardenerJoy!

Old 05-06-2022, 01:32 PM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

A late check-in today due to disturbed sleep, a late rise time, and a morning meeting. Glad to have all that behind me, but now I feel like my day is just starting -- even though I just ate lunch.

Instead of complaining, though, I'll be grateful that I have some good projects for the afternoon that will work well after that kind of night and morning. Also, the meeting was really good!

Exercise +60, 275/1500 minutes for May

Penny: Glad to have you back with us. That sounds pretty miserable -- sending virtual hugs and soup.

karenrn: In the 40s, ladies seemed to be concerned about "bust improvement." These days, we'd just think of them as arm exercises to strengthen the pecs. They did old-fashioned sit-ups with feet held down by another person or a chair or the bedrail. For a lower body exercise from the floor, they would use their hands to support the lower body way up in the air and then, bicycle the legs or scissor them in different directions. Both the sit-ups and the bicycles seemed needlessly risky for the back and neck. Although, I do remember doing both as a kid. Crunches and bicycle-crunches seem much safer and more effective.

maryann: what a great adventure! I'm enjoying listening to Talking In Your Sleep from BillBlueEyes' link -- brings back a ton of memories.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #39  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Day 3 for me and I'm feeling like I actually am making a few positive changes, not just going through the motions, so fingers crossed I'm more committed than other attempts. Nice to have a buddy to text in the morning to check in. Granted, I know three days is barely scratching the surface, but first steps and all that jazz. Rode the bike today and did arm weights ... if DH does go to his movie as expected, I'll put in the yoga for beginners (Adriene) this early evening.

Made bruschetta for dinner last night, adding in a white bean crostini base, and a side of sliced cukes with balsamic. It was superb and we'll move that to the rotation more often as it was quick, beans as the main, and a little oil and garlic. I still have spices I brought back from Italy a number of years ago that I keep using. I suggest to DH that we need to get back there so I can buy more of these spicy arrabiata blends. He's not falling for that ploy, but he likes the heat these spices bring.

Bill - I had to search Hubbard squash because I've never heard of that, nor seen it on a menu. My main frustration at the market is that the pricing is updated (increased, never decreased) in the computer system but not on the shelves or in the produce aisles. If it was the higher price on the shelf, I'd have made my decision to buy it or pick something else when I was shopping, not when I'm surprised at the register. It's so pervasive, I reviewed that when sent a survey from the corporate office. I then heard from the local manager telling me to come get a $20 gift card. I replied that it's happening to EVERYONE, not just me, and a gift card isn't the answer. The pricing must start on the shelves, not the point of sale. No change. Apparently I'm the curmudgeon!

CurlyJax - Oh wow, you must've had a crowded meal on Cinco de Mayo! That's funny, though. I'm just making up my own challenge so there is not going to be any, I'm quitting because I missed doing x this day. Increasing activity, water, beans, greens and journaling are my focuses to start. So far all good except for the water.

Penny - I'm glad to hear that the nausea has passed and that you're going to be resting a good bit. I hope you have continued steady progress! We are right there with you on the frugality. Target has some stuff that has lasted me a long time (their shabby chic stuff has held up to a lot of washings)!

Karen - I have to crack up at the "rude" trash truck! How is Otis with the UPS type trucks? That freaks out my cats because there is a small dip in the road and it sounds like a huge WHUMP when the trucks sail over it. I only bought the purple sweet potatoes once and agree with you, i liked the orange better. Last fall our store had white sweet potatoes mixed in with their orange. I didn't know it until I stabbed them to roast.

Joy - Interesting reading on the women's exercises and how what we know changes through the decades. I remember early yoga classes had us rolling our heads around on our necks the whole way around and now that's "wrong". Hope you get restful sleep tonight!

Maryann - FIngers crossed you had a good day to round out your week at school and can enjoy good time with DS this weekend - is he feeling better? How much longer do you have with him there? I hope DH's mood stays lifted for a while from the concert.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #40  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

This week has certainly been a rollercoaster. Last night I end up with the stomach flu with yucky symptoms. I went to bed early and made it through today but not without having the worst confrontation of the year with a student. The kids bought movie day with their points. I use the time to catch some kids up who are failing. One girl went off because she swears she turned a paper in. I heard the attitude from across the room. It is funny how most often I can maneuver the student into a better second take. Maybe it was because I wasn't feeling well or maybe there was an intuition that there was a reason to set a boundary. I never know. That is why teaching is an art. I asked her repeatedly if I talked to her in that tone this semester. She would not budge an inch and went so far as suggesting I threw the paper away. I walk backed into the classroom and said it was a zero until I see the paper. She went off to be hysterical somewhere. I call security to pick her up. I sorted things out with the VP reassuring her I was going to allow the student to redo it ( which the student was refusing to do.) I also said she could buy a homework pass. Anyway, I usually feel horrible after conflict. it really happens so rarely but it is always a gut punch. This girl has a list of priors including throwing things at a teacher and telling a teacher to ##$%$ off when she was caught teaching. This is what i am going to remind myself. I ask God everyday to help my kids and iIdo something important. Maybe this interaction was it. Maybe I made a mistake. Maybe the girl will learn an important lesson. Maybe I will. In any case, more will be revealed. I can also reevaluate and talk to the girl again.

So I am a few pounds down because of flu. I am going to take it easy on myself and let it go. At least I won't be eating over it.

Wave to all.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:33 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Kentucky Derby Day - "The Run for the Roses" (since 1875)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Super fun was a picnic lunch where I take my adult classes. We'd skipped this yearly affair for two years. Super fun to see old friends face-to-face. A friend in his nineties who is valiantly recovering from two strokes made it there in his wheelchair. Got a full review of the course titled, "Historical Jesus." Turns out to have been a jewel; led by a layman who had read several multi-volume books on the subject. There's serious scholarly work trying to determine when events were added to the story before it was written down. Learned of the National Science Foundation (NSF) press conference this coming Thursday at 9am where the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) folks are expected to make an announcement about the black hole at the center of our Milky Way. Huge amounts of publicity suggests that it'll be an important announcement.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. It was on plan because I planned to eat whatever was in the boxed lunch I would get at my picnic. After finishing the smoked turkey sandwich, I carefully left my wrapped cookie on the table to go get the ice cream. As always happens, I was diverted by four different conversations before making my way back. The cookie was gone! Some retired person swiped my cookie! Just cracked me up. I'm so grateful because a good cookie has more calories for its small size than anything. I got saved by a thief. Of course, it probably wasn't a thief, but an opportunist who saw that a cookie had been offered - just as several folks had done with their bag of chips. But I'll take credit for not eating the cookie even if I got an assist, LOL.

Alas, my treatise yesterday on Hubbard Squash was really about Butternut Squash - I conflict the names.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat to hear what the ladies of the 1940's were concerned about.

maryann - Ouch for having to be the rock that a teen needs to pound against. I think that it's terrific that you treat her as a teen working through her stuff instead of a bad person. Reminds me that every time I wish my body was younger, I specifically don't want to redo my teen years.

nationalparker – Love your story telling the manager that a $20 gift card needs to be sent to every customer. I think a trip to Italy to buy spices is fully justified. And olive oil. And balsamic vinegar. You've stirred up memories.

Karen (karenrn) - Cracks me up to hear how the world's most spoiled dog gets carried around a "rude garbage truck." I hate pictures of perfectly organized places because I immediately feel inadequate.

curlyjax - What fun to experience a Mexican restaurant when the crowd is celebrating Cinco de Mayo.

Penny. - Congrats for moving your kids forward from their childhood duvet themes to something older. I have a nephew who didn't quite seem to find a reason to leave home after junior college; his parents left him in his room decorated to his 8-year-old taste. It didn't help to encourage him to move along in life, LOL. Continue to wish you a smooth recovery.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Before You Move On

Women and men who wore pedometers for a Stanford University study naturally increased their daily walking by 2,183 steps - enough to cause then to lose an average of 3 pounds without changing their food intake.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 125.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-07-2022 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo: Nation => National
Old 05-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday was a terrible eating day, I got into so much sweet stuff and carbs. On the plus side, I joined a walking challenge at work and have a cheap yet very simple pedometer and I logged 4000 steps at work and by piddling around at home, which meets the challenge but isn't enough fitness wise. It doesn't count stretching or bicyling either so i'll keep that in mind. but its something that will serve to motivate me since some of the other staff are doing it too. This morning I pick up DS for the summer. He doesn't have a ton of stuff so it shouldn't take so long. I'm going to have to start cooking a lot more food! He is into eating healthily which is great. He is a happy kid and it will perk me up to have him home.
Penny- Continuing to send good vibes your way. Glad your nausea is gone, that's the worst.
Nationalparker- that sounds like a very good challenge, I'm working on some of that too. I guess the journaling part is done here for me. Once more I need to dig out those CBT cards and read them everyday, maybe an actual journal would be a good way to do it.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #43  

Happy Saturday Morning, Coaches.

Stomach is feeling better. That is good. Still a little crunchy over the encounter with my student. Thanks BBE for reminding me I have to be the rock she throughs herself against. The most important thing I will be is the adult that gives her a clean slate/ new day on Monday.

DS and I are going to Tahoe. What a gift to have a little one on one time in such a beautiful place. DH will join us when he can.

Weight is just a pound from ticker. That feels pretty good. I will do my yoga before I go. Boy have I been enjoying it. My summer trip reminders are bubbling up. I was sent my Explorer Chicks t shirt and Kula Cloth ( look it up Not for the faint of heart.) I will be in the Galapagos n mid July. United Airlines have adjusted my flight for the tenth time to Quebec. I have to do a little packing and spend my REI dividend,

For Fun, I found the Chinese company that sold the black rubber necklace with circles in the photo of my black and white checked dress. I bought four items. They were just a couple of bucks a piece. https://ibb.co/bFtskLF. Certainly industrial but I think a few will work.

Karen: I love those organizing books for the inspiration.
Joy: You reminded me of the old health ideas I grew up with in the 70s. I went to Weight Watchers in my teens and had to eat liver twice a week.
Curley: Sorry for the binge but glad DS is home. Today is a fresh start.
Nationalparker: Got my flights to Italy. the return is very pricey. I wonder if they will ever drop again.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #44  
Green Tomatoes

Weird sleep means too long in bed which causes lower back pain. Also, I'm wondering if the daily yoga has contributed to that. I may take a break from the series I was following, today. But I'll keep the daily yoga streak going by doing a lower back pain routine that I have on DVD.

Exercise +50, 325/1500 minutes for May
Old 05-07-2022, 11:38 AM   #45  

Good morning coaches,

I think I will just admit I don't have self control around dates and that will let you know I had some off plan eating yesterday. I told dh and it felt better just to admit it. He doesn't like dates so it won't hurt his feelings if I never buy them again. They used to have a large box of them at the grocery store and I could just take a couple of them with the tongs. That was perfect, but they don't have that anymore. I do feel quite energetic today though. I've been up quite awhile and I've finished the vacuuming of the carpets in the bedrooms, office and area rugs in the family room and living room. That is probably my least favorite chore, but didn't seem bad today. Yesterday I vacuumed the hardwood floors and tile which is much easier. I'll do some other housework too, a Costco run for a couple of things I forgot and some time in the pool this afternoon. I think I'm seeing a reduction in my grocery bill finally with this new food plan. Of course I know it would be increased dramatically if we hadn't made the change. It's reduced the cost of protein sources dramatically but of course increased the produce which is just fine.

I made plans to hike with the friend I really like to visit with tomorrow, and taking my new friend on a new to her hike on Tuesday. I'm finding I really like her. She is also the mother of boys (although I just have one), quit drinking a few years ago for weight and health reasons, has tinnitus and loves to challenge herself. She is also ten years younger which in my book is a plus since so many of my friends don't want to do the things I do. The bad part is that she also has a condo in Minneapolis and will be leaving for the summer as many people do.

Maryann I'm glad you're feeling better. So fun that you have ds home for Mother's Day and will be going to Tahoe. I've had a Kula Cloth for years, but just got a new one in the mail from Explorer Chicks.

Curlyjax Nice that your ds will be home for Mother's Day too. Maybe ds will do some of the cooking. Will he be working this summer?

Bill I bet that was so fun to get together in person. Good for you for "passing up" the cookie, even though you didn't have much choice. As for Butternut Squash, I used to buy a clam shell of it at Costco but found it got slimy really quickly. I have only recently begun purchasing them. I have dh but it in half and then I just use the peeler on it which seems to work just fine. It's so nice to be able to buy them and know they'll last awhile.

Nationalparker Otis doesn't like any large vehicle, but he particularly hates the garbage and recycle trucks. He's just a chicken, but I think it's kind of sweet, which is why I baby him and pick him up. Dh really is liking the purple sweet potatoes. I like the light yellow ones the best cause they seem the sweetest. Good for you for continuing your challenge. I didn't want to do mine yesterday, but I know what happens when I skip a day so I'm really going to force myself to do it. Between my age, losing weight, and not doing enough strength training, my arms look not good at all. I implore all you younger gals (which is all of you) . . . Do your arm exercises!

GardenerJoy Once you reminded me of the exercises I totally recall them. I wasn't alive in the 1940's, but I can say I think they were doing the same thing in the 1960's. I'm glad we've learned new ways of exercising that protect our necks and backs.

Penny I hope you're feeling a bit better today and that the pain is reducing. I'm sure the kids will love their new bedding. I can't tell you how old the bedding is around our house. I just find it difficult to spend money on something I don't care much about. I will say I like nice sheets, but they do last quite awhile.

Well you all have a great day and I'm going to get on here tomorrow and let you know that food was on plan today!
Closed Thread