Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

At work we all complained how cold it is for May. I broke down and had two stuffed potato halves, but I figure they probably aren’t as bad for you as getting them at a restaurant and it is a potato after all. I’m focusing on drinking more water and getting more greens in, even if i’m not sure exactly how much i’m eating because I haven’t plotted it out that well. I cooked up swiss chard and spinach, and made more of the farro dish and combined the two. So healthy and good.
I was not sleepy after work which was great, and worked on looking into some financial stuff, so felt it was a productive day. I did not sleep well last night so who knows how today will go. I do feel like I am slowly coming out of the depressive rut I’ve been in thank goodness.
Karen- I bet you have a fitness age of a 30 year old really!
Old 05-03-2022, 09:46 AM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday's eating went better. I did yoga for a second day in a row, following the May calendar of daily routines put out by Yoga with Adriene. Now that I have a two-day streak, I'm kind of thinking that maybe I want to do the entire thing.

Exercise +50, 100/1500 minutes for May

curlyjax: We're having a cool day, today. But looking ahead in the weather prediction, I'm not going to complain. I think I'll be unhappier next week if we really get highs in the upper 80s.

karenrn: Yep! We found DH's grandparents and great-grandparents. We believe that he has great-great-grandparents buried in the same cemetery, but their stones (and many others) are missing from the oldest section.

maryann: Thank you for standing up for the vulnerable students.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #18  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan and weight is down a tiny bit. We both really liked the white bean chili that I made for dinner and it made enough for 3 dinners. I put some in the freezer for a dinner and we'll have it again tomorrow night. Luckily dh is just fine with leftovers and I will make something else tonight. I had a good hike this morning by myself and I'm listening to Fiber Fueled, The Plant Based Gut Health Program for Losing Weight Restoring Health and Optimizing Your Microbiome. I've listened to the author, Dr. Will Bulsiewicz on some You Tubes. He's a GI doc and very knowledgeable but tries to insert too much humor. Main takeaway as far as I'm concerned is just to have an abundance of variety in our fruits and vegetables. I'm going to try to add some new ones little by little.

I'm feeling bad today because I sent a text to my friend with a couple of the hiking photos from the Grand Canyon and she sent me a text back that she had a stroke the previous Sunday. She is a friend I have known since kindergarten and she moved to Tucson a couple of years ago. She has an eating disorder and weighs 89 pounds. I know she has other health problems too. We talk on the phone a couple of times a month. Her sister drove down from Washington and I've afraid Francine may need to move back there where she just hates the weather. I'm counting my blessings for sure.

GardenerJoy That's really neat that you found some of dh's relatives. That would make the walking through the cemetery much more interesting.

Curlyjax I'm glad you're feeling like you're coming out of the winter depression. That farrow dish with the greens sounds really good. I've been buying a big bag of Super Greens at Costco and eating them at lunch.

Bill I guess not every day can be full of grand accomplishments, but you seem to learn so much each day. That alone is an accomplishment in my book.

Maryann This group is very pleased that you have the courage to stand up for the vulnerable students.
I'm so glad you mentioned fringing your own jeans. I have a pair in the closet that I'm going to work on today.

Nationalparker I hope you're having another beautiful day today!

Penny I know your surgery is tomorrow. You are probably busy and I can't remember if you're working. I hope you have the day off to be prepared for surgery. In any event I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

I guess it's time to clean up for the day. I hope you all have a good day.

Last edited by karenrn; 05-04-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Still on plan and holding.

My pre-op labs were yesterday, including a Covid test, and surgery is early tomorrow morning. Hopefully my son can wake himself up enough to do the driving. He tends to sleep until the last minute before his afternoon work shift and then stays up late, but I have been mentally prepping him for a few weeks.

Today I Do All The Things. I've already made a huge batch of hummus to stock the fridge and freezer, and soon I'll make a large batch of Mexican black bean corn salad. That should take care of my food needs for many days. I'll also make mac n cheese and pizzas for the family.

I cleaned the house yesterday and need to wash sheets today. That should do it. Hopefully I sleep better tonight than last night. That was restless.

Karen, funny I'm trying to increase my tofu and decrease my beans - well, add more tofu to my beans for protein. Maybe I should look into the shakes but I'm not a fan. So boring! lol

Maryann, good for you sticking up for the kids. People tend to not like their bad behavior pointed out, of course. My last job turned toxic when all the staff changed over and some of them would constantly defame another nurse for his verbal report style. I asked them if they ever spoke to him about it because he probably just needs a little guidance. Welp, that did not help my popularity. Haha! I left not too long after.

Curly, your prepped foods sound delicious! I'm glad you're feeling the end of the depressive episode. I've been a total hermit since November and feeling it lift a little too. Summer is coming!

Bill, it doesn't feel like pumpkin soup season anymore, but it's always chip season. lol

Joy, the graveyard walk sounds fun, just like I used to do as a kid- study all the tombstones. I'd do the math to figure out how old they were when they died, imagine the circumstances behind an early death, or wonder if the style of headstone meant the family was rich. You know, the stuff we did before internet and there was nothing on TV.

Nationalparker, that's nice of you to have a card for your HVAC guy. It's especially nice when you have a service provider with enough history to know them more than just a one time call. I love that!
Old 05-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #20  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A good day; I am savoring the days I have alone until DH retires. He put in his notice yesterday and the HR contact pointed out that instead of leaving in two weeks and getting paid for his vacation time, he could work three-day workweeks into June and take a couple of vacation days each week, and receive health benefits into June while giving them extra time to find his replacement. He ran that by his boss and by me and we were both in favor, ha ha... So, while he's not out as soon as he was thinking, he has a plan and a date, and we go from there. Rainy, windy and stormy today. A very unsettling day news-wise, and having a hard time focusing on anything.

Not sure if the movies are in our plans this evening, haven't nailed anything down. Dinner will be either quesadillas with pico that I need to use, or fruit smoothies because that sounds easy and we haven't had them in a week-plus for any meal. I much prefer a smaller dinner while DH gets home hungry, so will have to navigate that when he does retire.

Penny - GOOD LUCK tomorrow! I never know now if people are back to taking meals to families after surgeries or in condolence or post-baby ... or is it still covid alert situation. I hope you have some good neighbors/friends to lend a hand if needed! We'll be thinking of you!

Maryann - Yes, I'll echo the others in saying many credits to you for sticking up for the kids, not easy when the herd mentality seemed to be attack. How I wish I'd have had a teacher or two like you in high school.

Karen - Thanks for posting what you're reading. Last night I put a youtube video on Dr. Greger for DH to listen to; I like that he meshes completely with the nutritarian plan by Dr. Furhman. I don't like it when different scientific studies are referenced with wildly diverging interpreted results. This is good confirmation that we're on a sound path. LIke you, I don't like to serve the same exact meal back-to-back, but we like leftovers so they get tabled for later in the week. Do you have Gold Nuggets where you are? They are one of my top 10 foods, but only available in a spring window of maybe 7 weeks. I think they're pricey, but such a treat. Funny, since I don't love oranges like Bill!

Bill - No shade being thrown to your oranges, in any way. But Gold Nuggets... mmm. I hope there isn't a lot of the pumpkin soup leftover for your sake. I don't know how close you are to it, but have you taken your DGD to Battleship Cove? It's on our list when we return to that area. We both love touring exhibits like that, from USS Midway in San Diego, to Battleship Parkway in Mobile, Alabama to the U505 in Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

CurlyJax - Those stuffed potatoes sound delish. Credit for stopping at two. I know a lot of folks wouldn't, given how infrequently we run across those. I totally feel you on the oppressive heaviness starting to lift. I wish I'd really given my SAD light more of a chance but didn't schedule the time and just kind of forgot about it when I had time. That's on me.

Joy - I enjoy mindless walking through cemeteries when I am not searching for anything. In my MIL's photos, I've found hundreds that are of headstones, so those went to DH's daughter who wants the genealogy stuff. I like a two-day streak. I feel like I do too many Day 1's and not enough Day 2's.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:37 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

I deliberately went into the lunchroom today. i was going to stand my ground if need be. But yesterday was long forgotten. the very young ages in there make me think people rib each other pretty hard and think nothing of it. I am just going to hang low for awhile to pick up a rhythm that works for me. I do like them all as a group and it is fun to have young blood.

I am very worried about DH. things so dire right now for him. His manager/ second Dad looks like he will be in jail for a long, long time. that man's nephew walked away from work. That leaves four men for 2,000. I asked DH to go to counseling over his manager. he won't. He says if he opens up the grief he may never close it. ( my paraphrase. Plus, drought. Plus the regular struggles of farming. Plus cancer. Sigh!!! I was sad today about him but all I can do is keep myself strong. I will will go to my meeting tonite. DS is feeling under the weather which also worries DH. None of this is in my hula hoop. None of this can be fixed with extra food.

Joy: I am Day16 yoga with Adrienne. I am really enjoying it..
Curley: Actually potatoes are very diet friendly. Without the added fats and things, they are high on the satiety factor.
Karen: Could you pm a picture of the white chili recipe?
Penny: Good thoughts as you prep.

I found out a new trick the past two days. I bought a rotisserie chicken for the boys. I have tried various method of keeping it warm till dinner. I gave away my tried and true very slow cooker because of the instapot. So I put the chicken in the instapot on Keep Warm. The next day I steamed it for five minutes with chicken broth. Day 3 can be chicken broth makings plus enough left for chicken pesto pasta.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:00 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Star Wars Day: May the fourth be with you

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The book that I ordered for DW's Mother's Day arrived and ... I got to the mail before she did so she doesn't know about it. Feel like a little kid keeping a secret. Sometimes we ignore Mother's/Father's Day since we aren't each other's parent. But we spent years teaching the kids to celebrate so we're still attuned to it. Now I only have to get over the guilt that I feel because I'm going to read the book also. But that's not a new thing.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled salmon because it was Tuesday which means that DW went to Whole Foods where she always selects some fish and ... it's almost always salmon. Feel a bit like an institution knowing that it's Salmon Tuesday, LOL. Excitement was an unexciting trip to the supermarket where I spent a bunch of time grousing about items that weren't in stock. The salad dressing that DW likes comes on sale periodically so I wait to buy it then. That's what I used to do. Now, I grab a couple of bottles of it whenever it's in stock. Hope this is a transient situation.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Enjoy reading that you continue to get into your Yoga. Belated Congrats for meeting your April exercise goal.

maryann - Yay for the joy of working with young folks. And Double Yay that they move on from an issue - a good thing to learn. Sending supportive thoughts to your DH in a difficult time.

nationalparker Neat that you worked out a retirement schedule for your DH that has an advantage. Have to go looking for Gold Nuggets - do they really look that bumpy?

Karen (karenrn) - Let us know if your ever figure out how to optimizing your microbiome. I'm convinced that it's key but have no idea how to be helpful other than what you mentioned, "have an abundance of variety in our fruits and vegetables."

curlyjax - Drooling for your Swiss chard and spinach - makes me think Summer. Yay for progress on financial stuff.

Penny. - Wish you well with your surgery today. May you have a peaceful healing.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Before You Move On

Spend at least two to three weeks in Sage 2. Remain in Stage 2 until:
  • You have successfully followed the entire think Thin Initial Eating Plan (all meals and snacks) without any slips for at least two consecutive weeks.
  • You have filled out the Stage 2 Success Skills Sheet and made contact with your Diet Buddy every night.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 125.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #23  

I was so sleepy yesterday and made some terrible food choices, like getting into a bunch of leftover candy that i’ve been avoiding at work. Ugh, well its gone now. I was so tired after work I took a nap and didn’t do the walking I should have, although I did a bit of stationary biking after a quick grocery stop. I pretty much just watched tv for a few hours after that. I figure one lazy day is offset by a productive day (Monday) so i’m even for this week.
Gardenerjoy- I’ll take the cooler weather too, I like spring to ease in gradually.
Penny- good luck today! Sounds like you’ve prepped well.
Karen- that guy sounds interesting, I will check him out. I’m sorry about your friend; a reminder to be grateful for our good health for sure.
Nationalparker-Sounds like a great way to ease DH into retirement. I hear you about cherishing those days alone- I have 3 more days where I can blast the radio in the morning before DS comes home since he sleeps very late.
Maryann- hard to see your DH struggle i’m sure. Good coping for yourself to keep yourself strong.
Bill-nothing wrong with sharing a present Salmon tuesday sounds good.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's eating was worse, sigh. I seem to be alternating good days with less-good days. Part of the challenge is that my 60th birthday is later this month. There were times, in the past, when May was a month of treats to honor my birthday -- especially in the big decade years. That's not appropriate for my current phase of life, but a part of me wants it, anyway. I'll see if I can give the lead, today, to the more health-promoting parts of myself.

Exercise +55, 155/1500 minutes for May

Penny: Sending healing vibes your way.

curlyjax: My usual lunch is a potato topped with tempeh sausage crumbles and a sour cream substitute that I make with low-fat cottage cheese and nonfat yogurt. As maryann said, potatoes are high on the satiety level for me and don't carry some of the problems that I have with bread (bloatedness and cravings).
Old 05-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Decided I need to get my rear in gear and move forward on what I say is important to me, fitness-wise, not just eating plant-based. So started a 50-day challenge to eat more mindfully, nutritionally, be more active (which is good timing with better weather/mood), more water, the same deal. I chose 50 days because hopefully we'll be close to visiting my brother in Florida by then, or else we'll be a few days out from that and at a beach spot before driving over. I need to be able to comfortably fit in my hot weather clothes. I always want a buddy in a challenge and a friend texted me at lunch and was frustrated at spring clothes not fitting, so she's in with me on it. Perfect synchronicity.

I was planning tortilla soup for dinner but realized I have no cilantro, so backup will be the quesadillas I didn't make yesterday evening. I'll start the seasoned beans simmering early so they actually have some flavor, since I have no veg refried black beans with jalapeno on hand. Those seasoned beans on a baked yellow potato with other toppings were delish last week, so I'm making double to do that as well.
Penny - Sending good vibes your way throughout the day. Hope to hear it went smoothly when you're up to posting.
CurlyJax - I enjoy baked (in microwave) yellow potatoes often, and slice them open and add some water to them so not dry at all ... then add a bit of that vegan nacho sauce I whip up and it's filling and seems like a treat.
Bill - Yes, those gold nugget mandarins are so bumpy looking and have some air under the skin, aiding in the peeling. You and DGD could have a race to see who could peel it quicker. Here, bags with 10-12 are $5.49 or so, but such a treat. I find that they're never sold singly, always in a bag. I love your sly book ordering! And the recognition that you'll enjoy it as well.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #26  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

This will just be a short check in. Food was on plan until this afternoon when I had some off plan snacking. I would have to say it was emotional eating. I'm just putting it behind me and moving forward. I planned to hike alone tomorrow, but my new friend sent a text about joining me. Actually I'm looking forward to hearing about her Explorer Chicks hike in Moab, so that will be good.

I have been trying to do my plank and arm exercises daily and have not done them yet, so off I go to be sure I don't miss a day. Personals tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:10 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Cinco de Mayo

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked around the outside of the house with the painter who I thought would be able to mend some damaged wood then paint the water table of my house and the little back porch. Too much carpentry for him; he'll come back to paint after I've had a carpenter do that work. Ouch! Getting a carpenter around here right now seems next to impossible. "Any other options?" I asked. "Well, once a guy went to the doctor. Got told that the x-rays indicated that a quarter million dollars of surgery was necessary. 'I don't have that kind of money,' the patient said, 'are there any other options?' 'Yes,' said the doctor,' for only $50 I can touch up the x-rays.' " The $50 option is looking good to me right now, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was lentil stew/soup and sauteed spinach. We consume a ton of spinach. It's easy to prepare and always available fresh. Our standard excitement for Wednesdays is picking up the DGD at kindergarten. Yesterday was the day she instead had a play-date with a friend. Missed our short visit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for figuring out how to eliminate the whole month of May as a month of treats. Your potato lunch sound good. Do you serve it hot or cold?

nationalparker Cilantro remains my favorite herb ever - just the best. Neat to have body-image goals for two months out.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for "I'm just putting it behind me and moving forward." I can always use that when I'm devising new ways to beat up on myself for coming up short.

curlyjax - Ouch for leftover candy calling your name. LOL at being "even for the week" with productivity of days.

Penny. - Waving. Hope you're home and recovering gently.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Before You Move On

Remember, too, to continue to do as much spontaneous exercise as you can, to take a daily walk, and to do planned exercise - including strength training on other days.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 125.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #28  

I indulged in a healthy veggie soup with 4 tortellini at work, just the right amount. I stayed out of treats at work, but got into trouble at home. DD had zipped home quickly for an appt and left a bag of snacks including some valentine chocolates which I promptly got into. I have stayed out of the unopened bag of chocolate covered pretzels and will ignore them. Anyhow they're gone now and the other snacks were half opened and stale so out they go. We had a nice quick visit anyhow. I didn't feel like doing much but made myself go up and down the stairs a few times to get my heart rate going as I need to work on my endurance. I also checked in with manfriend; I miss talking to him and he's having some kind of health issue, so its nice to reconnect as friends.
Gardenerjoy-that sounds like a good lunch. Potatoes do taste good even though they're bland.
Nationalparker- I'm still enjoying your farro with additonal beans and spinach, I may take that to work today. 50 day challenge sounds great.
Karen- that will be fun to hear about the explorer chicks, such a great name!
Bill-its hard to get any help like that for sure, ugh. Fresh spinach is great sauteed.
Penny- thinking of you, hope you're feeling okay.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

Part of my research for my novel yesterday including answering the question "What did ladies do for exercise in the 1940s?" I found a short routine on YouTube and used that as part of my workout, yesterday. We know a lot more about how to protect the back and neck while working out, now! But I was careful, and it was fun.

Exercise +60, 215/1500 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: My lunch is hot. I consider it a perk of working at home.

Penny: Hope you're on a road to quick recovery!
Old 05-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #30  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Quick check-in, as I'm getting woozy again sitting up.

Surgery day was pretty miserable recovery. It turned out she could not do the easy peasy laproscopic. My uterus was large and covered in scar tissue, I had endometriosis everywhere, and one ovary was hard and had to be removed. The doctor called my husband to explain all this while I was in recovery and he said she was very surprised by all of that and said no wonder I was in a lot of pain.

It surprises me that I really wasn't in much pain, just a couple days of my periods the last few months. I'll have lots of questions at my post-op appointment, and looking forward to seeing the photos.

I'm in quite a bit of pain now, and dizzy while up. Threw up several times yesterday, set off because I got up to the bathroom, which I seem to have to do every hour. I think it's just too painful to have any volume in my bladder pressing on things.

Finally got a small bit of food this morning.

One of my coworkers told me just before my surgery that she had major emotions with hormonal adjustments after having one ovary removed. She was upset nobody warned her that could happen. Turns out she was providing me the warning she didn't get. I hope I'm not crying over everything soon, but at least I'll have some understanding.

Alright, that's enough TMI for today. Lol

Maryann, so sorry your DH is going through such a hard time right now.

Bill, lol about the $50 x-ray touch up.

Thanks for all the surgery well wishes, friends.
Closed Thread