Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 11:21 AM   #166  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and weight is holding, which is better than a belated jump up. I hiked a 4 mile steep hike this morning by myself and enjoyed every minute of it. I was listening to How Not to Diet and only have about a day remaining on the loan, but I do have the physical book. I'm not going to even attempt to walk Otis since it's a bin day. He'll get his exercise this afternoon with fetching his duck that dh throws for him in the backyard. I've just finished paying the bills and I'm heading to the movies in less than an hour to see Downton Abbey. I figure that will be a pleasant distraction to what is going on in the world.

GardenerJoy Great that dh can go to the urologist knowing his PSA is fine. Yes, I'm being careful about social media as well.

Curlyjax I'm so glad for you that a friends husband will drive the U-Haul. What a stress reliever!

Bill I think I need to find a few frozen meals too. We had a burrito or something a few months back and it was great. I just have to think to have them in the house.

Maryann I can certainly see how you and your students could be concerned. The shootings are so random that who knows where it will happen next. I can't bear the thought of losing my son either. It's agonizing just witnessing the grief of the parents on television.

Penny How are you and how are your kids?

Nationalparker I'm glad you had a lengthy doctor's appointment with questions answered and no prescription needed yet. I didn't realize that vitamins would interfere with lab results. Maybe I should quit mine for a few days before labs.

Thank you all for being a safe place to express some feelings whether they are influencing our eating or not.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #167  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I dove into the vegetable lasagna last night and didn't come up until about 1/3 of the pan was eaten. Weight is up, obviously. Yeesh!

I managed to set a bedtime alarm and get my 11yo into bed by 8:30 for reading, lights out by 9. That meant me going to sleep too, which felt too early but I managed it. The morning went so much better without her resisting every step of the way. Previously it was 10pm and a lot of griping from me about her needing to go to bed witout me having to as well.

The 15yo has confirmed a new name preference, so I need to work on that habit. I already screwed up first thing this morning. I think I'm averaging 80% with correct pronoun usage at this point, maybe better.

Today was the first day I juggled the morning breakfast and lunch prep, and after two hours I felt the pain and fatigue I don't usually feel until evening. I have until the 15th to recover enough for work.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-26-2022, 11:14 PM   #168  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Coaches, a quick check in on just a rough week. Food has been good, but tonight I splurged and had some popcorn at the movie (Top Gun: Maverick ... enjoyable and as someone who LOVES to watch fighter jets, I had fun). We missed severe storms while in the theatre and another round is beginning to move through. I don't have much to write ... I'd started a note earlier and deleted much of it. Just a downer. I made the vegan winter lentil stew for dinner but DH came home wanting Chipotle. I made the stew so I could more easily "afford" some popcorn. But ordered a kid's meal with beans, rice and guac tacos ... next time I'll do beans, salsa and guac (you get guac, meat or queso as that option). Price was good and serving size was good. So we'll take a pan and some bowls and spoons and a container of the stew for lunch tomorrow at his folks' house. Heading there in the morning, hopefully I'll remember to pop in and get my labs done first. We'll work on the house Friday and Saturday, and then take Sunday and Monday off. I'm happy about that.

If I'd have known we were going out for dinner, I'd have taken time to do more painting ... I'm having fun working on about a half dozen rocks now, moving each of them along a bit. Some are just dots on the rocks, forming a picture. I don't think I can post a photo unless it's on a site already.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:31 AM   #169  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - The Golden Gate Bridge opens connecting San Francisco to Marin County (1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was leftover grilled salmon, kale, buttered new potatoes, and the standard green salad. We ate outside on the patio, although both wearing fleece vests, pretending that it was warm enough to be there. Several birds kept up company, most prominently a Robin that seemed annoyed that we were there. We sit too close to the bird bath for a modest bird.

Excitement was a trip to the brick-and-mortar library - always a treat. I picked up the book recommended here, Let's talk about body boundaries, consent & respect by Jayneen Sanders. It's well done; gives me some ideas how to talk about the subject. Not our place to give the book to the DGD. I like that it isn't about sexual parts - it's about the whole body. I particularly like that it tells kids that they can say "No" to a grandparent who wants to kiss them. As a kid, I had no idea that I could do that; older relatives got to do whatever they wanted. I hated, Hated, HATED having my cheeks pinched - but that was much younger. Also extended my library card that was expiring. Got another five years with one click of the keyboard by a magic librarian. Feels like such a major gift. And picked up the book House by Tracy Kidder. Got reminded that there is no way to find that book on the shelves without first looking up its Dewey Decimal number. Had to remind myself that Dewey is not for the faint of heart - don't try to wing it; just look it up.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a visit to a urologist knowing that you're good. I'm with you on no words to say. Was moved that the newspaper in Uvalde, Texas printed an all-black front page with just the date, no other words.

nationalparker – Great timing to let the thunder storms pass while you were in the theater. Congrats for finding a fit to your eating plan at Chipotle.

Karen (karenrn) - I do enjoy the image of you hiking, alone, with earbuds blasting an interesting audio book.

curlyjax - So neat that a friend will drive the U Haul truck so that you can concentrate on the other issues. DW tells me that we are now officially in a drought - your cukes might well be thirsty.

Penny. - Congrats for being 80% correct with pronouns for your older DD - without beating yourself up for the misses. New names can be more difficult. About forty years ago, my DW started using her given name instead of its nickname version she'd grown up with. Her mother never made the transition. Not clear to me that she even tried. At a large family gathering, over the years everyone had converted to "Name" except for mom using "Nick-name" every single time. Not as offensive as using a dead name, but reminded us that some old brains just don't adjust.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

You will also learn additional skills that will enable you to successfully follow your eating program at restaurants, buffets, parties, special events, holiday meals, celebrations, hotels, and more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 127.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:29 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I went to the eye doctor yesterday for an eye pain i've had a few days, and he thinks it may be rosacea related. I cannot believe this is another thing I have to deal with, geez my body is falling apart! He pointed out my cheeks are a bit rosy, I thought that was my natural glow Nothing to do now but monitor, it can come and go without issues. I remember my mom had a mild case of it, I'll have to research it. Stress can cause a flare up-hmm, i'm certainly feeling stressed these days. I'm going to have to let go of the whole packing thing as DD insists on doing things her way- which is always a last minute scramble- and focus on what I can do ie move other things out of the way to make it easier when she does start.
Bill- that's so funny, my aunt started using her middle name when I was a teenager, and it took us all a long time to adjust. I think my grandmother did, I can barely remember.
Karen- I'm looking forward to seeing that movie soon too, it looks so fun. I have the book Fridge Love in my possession now and I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #171  
Green Tomatoes

The trip to the urologist yielded some good news. DH now gets to have 6-month follow-ups instead of 3-month follow-ups. This reduces the number of times per year that we have to go through the stress of wondering what the PSA will say. It also opens up the possibility of getting the cataract surgery in the fairly new future. That surgery with the looming possibility of needing radiation treatment, didn't work well together -- but now there's a nice long period when that won't be a worry.

Exercise +55, 1340/1500 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: I remember reading House years ago, triggering a desire to build our own house that lasted for years but that we never acted on. That was after reading The Soul of A New Machine that instilled pride in my first chosen profession.

Penny: One of the things I've been working on with DN is transitioning to a new name. At least it's one that I've heard for years because her friends called her by it. I only became aware recently that she preferred it with family, too.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #172  

Good morning!

Another off plan day, which was kind of planned. The 11yo had a parent night at school to see the school's class displays on different countries. A free dinner in the cafeteria was promised but it turned out to be a massive line of people that wrapped around and through the entire school to a single taco truck parked out back.

It took us a while of standing before we even knew what was happening but we finally skipped it and went directly to the classes. We ended up going out to eat to satisfy the dinner expectations, and that was also shocking because I didn't expect restaurants to be so crowded and maskless, without spacing, on a Thursday night. I guess it's good to know how it is now, outside of our bubble.

One positive is I was sore and tired but did not need to take anything for it. Just going to bed was enough.

Bill, I think it's so great teaching kids body autonomy. It just makes sense for them to know they don't have to listen to just anyone because they are an adult. It primes them for abuse! However, it's still hard not to push hugs on my own kids. Haha!

Curly, Yay for getting your garden planted! Mine is still full of weeds but the artichoke is looking great all on its own.

Joy, that's great you are using your DN's preferred name. I'm sure it helps a lot. I hope your dh can get his cataract procedure soon.

Nationalparker, idk that sounds very disrespectful to want to go out to eat when you've already prepared dinner. Maybe you could go your separate ways for dinner, and stay home for your meal? It sounds like he's used to you sacrificing your plans and energy to accommodate his whims. But I'm divorcing and probably bitter, so maybe not the best opinion on it. I'll prob regret posting this immediately.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Hello from Hollywood. DS and I are steps from the Hollywood walk of fame and Gorman’s Chinese Theatre. But the real reason I picked the hotel was it’s walking distance to the Hollywood Bowl. Steely Dan is tonight. This morning we are going on a paramount studios tour. Griffith Observatory this afternoon.

wave to all
Old 05-27-2022, 11:31 AM   #174  

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan and weight stable. It's warm here this morning, but I did get out for a moderate hike with a friend. I just got home from walking Otis and it's 85 at 8 a.m. I enjoyed the movie yesterday although maybe not as much as the previous one. I wish there were more movies out that I want to see cause summer is the perfect time to kill some time in a cool theater. No big plans today, but my friend sent me an email from Greater Good Science Center and there is a resource on gun violence that I want to read thoroughly. Last nights dinner was the Senegalese Peanut Stew that we liked before. I will try to find a new recipe for tonights dinner. I've been kind of lazy doing Buddha Bowls and Tostada salad or Burritos a bit frequently. Dh likes them thank goodness, but I need to continue working on the repertoire.

Dh saw his orthopedic surgeon yesterday. Of course he's doing very well, but he did learn they will monitor the chromium level in his blood and if it stays up at 6 months or a year and may need a revision of the other hip. I hadn't even thought of that. At least he sailed through.

GardenerJoy I remember when dh's urology appointments became less and less frequent and now he doesn't even see him, just gets an annual PSA test and sees his regular doctor. It's such a relief when it kind of moves to the background.

Curlyjax I'm sure you'll be looking forward to the dd's move being in the rear view mirror. It's got to take a lot of patience to let her handle it, when she also needs a lot of help from you. I can't say I've really "read" the Fridge Love book, but I do love the pictures and I've read some of it.

Bill I sure wish I could send a little warmth your way so you didn't need fleece clothing to sit on the patio. I agree that libraries are just the best. And now with the audio and e-books they are even a bigger benefit.

Nationalparker I'm hoping maybe I can get dh to see Top Gun. It takes a lot of encouragement to get him to do things. I'm glad you have a plan to have a couple of days off.

Penny The vegetable lasagna sounds delicious. I'm trying to find a good recipe so I can freeze some for dh when I take my summer trip. I hope you turn the corner and feel stronger soon.

Maryann Enjoy the concert and time with your son.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #175  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Just home from DH's folks and we have the trailer with close to a ton of steel I think. I'm a terrible judge though, so we like to see what the weight is when it's paid. Today we did one run there and worked clearing in the garage another eight hours. I'm beat and off to take a bath. I want something to eat for dinner - ate grapes on the way home. I did bring last night's dinner for a late lunch/dinner at 4:30 ... reheated in my pan and brought bowls/spoons. So I guess that worked out. I wasn't too upset that he had another thought for dinner last night, but now maybe think I'm too agreeable? Sometimes if I really don't feel like something I'll say, you go ahead and I'll have this.

Chest freezer that was full of metals being recycled (car parts, etc.) was dropped on my foot. The same spot where I dropped a log on it twice, three months apart. It took my foot nearly 9 months to not cause me pain. Now this. I was full on cussing and that's not good. If I was alone, I'd have been crying. We had a huge crummy aluminum ladder to get in the trailer but it was about a foot or two too long, so we ended up each cutting a side of it in half with a hacksaw. That was my upper body workout (on one arm only) but I was a sweaty mess when done. This is a trailer with a drop down full door to enclose the inner space, nothing can stick off like a mower trailer.

Back out there tomorrow for a morning run to the recycling yard and if they'll take garage door panels, then we have one more recycling run - load those up and go. His dad just replaced crap and threw the old out behind the garage. I suspect we'll be there the full day again. I'm talking DH out of trying to fix every dang thing. Just move it on and be done with it. Take three hours to fix a blower, sell it for what? $30? Half of that in the estate account at the end might be his, so $15 for that work and buying a part? No. Just not realistic. We don't like things to go to the dumpster but to recycling shred is better, I think.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:52 AM   #176  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday- Alan Turing's "On Computable Numbers", basis for modern computers (1936)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with dinner on the patio in full view of the just-blossoming peonies. A carpentry job is happening across the street visible while eating. But I got to tell DW that an old buddy of our DS was driving by and stopped to chat. We haven't seen this guy for a decade - although follow him on Facebook. He was showing his new girlfriend his childhood haunts and graciously stopped to chat when he saw me on the front sidewalk. Lovely way to spend an early evening. Dinner was our dish called "Burger, beans, and rice" made with "Beyond Meat" - another beef substitute. I hadn't noticed that it wasn't beef until told. They've got the formula down. We'll have it again.

Walk, CREDIT moi, did an errand and tracked other construction projects nearby. Construction is a small sign that life is trying to return to normal. In the morning, I watched a kid almost have his car towed because he parked in front of signs saying the space was reserved for a moving van. Fortunately, a neighbor recognized his car and alerted him just before the magic hour. Good reminder to me that all the joy in the body of the young comes with a decreased awareness of the demands of society around them.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that your DH got promoted to a six-month visit from a three-month visit. Have to count all our victories.

maryann - Good grief! Steely Dan and Griffith Observatory both in the same day. I guess they're both far out there, LOL.

nationalparker – Ouch for one more hit to your foot. I continue to be impressed with the massive physical aspect of the work you're doing. I suspect that you're developing the arms of Popeye. You won't need resistance exercises for years.

Karen (karenrn) - That's a new one for me to monitor chromium level in the blood. Your meals do sound interesting.

curlyjax - Ouch for "geez my body is falling apart." I feel that way after every visit to the doctor when I'm told that what I'm seeing will be with me for life. Kudos for accepting your role in your DD's packing style.

Penny. - Smart to recognize that you didn't want a FREE meal enough for an interminable wait. I recall eating my way through one of those years ago: on an uncomfortable stool, I consumed overcooked spaghetti with flavorless tomato sauce and a slice of white bread - as if I needed the food.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

During this stage, it's important to keep practicing all of your Stages 1 and 2 skills every day, even when you are not faced with a challenging situation; it's so easy to let these skills slip.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 128.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:50 AM   #177  
Green Tomatoes

Today's adventure is a trip out to visit DN in person. We came to enough of a peaceful resolution, realizing a misunderstanding, that she's now willing to talk in person. That's good because there are a couple of topics that I need to talk about and was really hoping that it wouldn't have to be via text. I'm hoping that it goes well, and we can keep moving forward. But I want to also be prepared that the news I have to share may put her back in crisis. I'm counting on physical hugs and nonlinear conversation to prevent that.

Exercise +50, 1390/1500 minutes for May

nationalparker: Since you've been talking about metal recycling, I wanted to share an article about my hometown (population about 3000). It has become the place where the blades from wind turbines go to get recycled: Wind turbine blades recycled for cement, kept from landfills | STLPR (stlpublicradio.org)

BillBlueEyes: I wrote about Alan Turing on my blog last month: B is for Bletchley Park #AtoZChallenge – Joy's Book Blog (joyweesemoll.com)
Old 05-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #178  

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan. I realize that my biggest problem is boredom, which of course is my own fault. When I feel like I want something to eat and it's not time to eat I've been stopping myself and realizing I'm not really hungry, I just want something to do. I think it's a little more difficult because I don't want to jump in the car to do something for a diversion since the price of gas is so high. My other excuse is that although I do hike most days, I'm now going so early to beat the heat that the hikes are a little shorter and I have a lot of day left. I'll be working on it.

This morning dh and I are going to see Top Gun. It's a near miracle that I am getting him to go. I guess I'm going to have to find things to do together more often so he gets used to doing more. After all, it won't be too many more months/years before he decides to retire. We have a plan to go out to eat tomorrow at a vegan restaurant and we've decided to go for lunch.

GardnerJoy Good luck with the visit with dn. I'm sure an in-person visit will be so much easier. I hate email and text for more difficult conversations. I'll be thinking of you.

Bill I just love the thought of peonies in bloom. I used to have lots of them in Washington. We have a ton of construction going on here; it never stopped. As for the chromium levels it would only be for a person who has artificial joints.

Nationalparker Oh my I hope your foot will be okay. That sounds like a lot of weight to be dropped on it. It's too bad dil isn't there to do some of the work. I guess you can consider it a workout though because it sure sounds like one.

Maryann I'm looking forward to hearing how Steely Dan was. I'm sure you're having a great time.

Penny It sounds like you are getting a little better. That's good news. I can't believe they had one food truck for all those people. More people are unmasked than masked here. I just take mine and wear it if there are quite a few people around. I know I'll be wearing it at the movie today although the other day there were only 8 or 10 people in the theater and I didn't worry about it.

Curlyjax I have never heard of rosacea effecting an eye. Are you going to see the dermatologist? I hope dd gets some packing done this weekend to relieve some of your stress. Heck it might relieve some of hers too.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #179  

Good morning!

I had a peak off plan eating day yesterday, a real binger. I looked back and things derailed on the 14th, so it's been two weeks. My mind likes to tell me it's only been a few days and I can reel it in no problem but a few days of on plan eating sprinkled within a lot of extra eating sure adds up.

I made another batch of the one pot farro tomato dish and discovered it is good cold, right out of the fridge. Yes!

Somehow I landed on Ina Garten's instagram and saw she put some of her flowering chives in a simple vase on her counter and it looks so nice! I copied her and it looks so pretty on the dining table.
Nationalparker, the foot injury sounds painful! I hope you didn't break any bones.

Karen, I hear you on the boredom eating. That is indeed a lot of day left when you have done so much already by 8am. I hope you enjoy the movie.

Maryann, I'm sure the concert was fun! Have a wonderful time with your son.

Joy, good luck with your niece. That sounds like a very sensitive situation.

Bill, the burgers beans and rice meal sounds like my kind of simple. Extra nice if the Beyond burger is also cheaper. I'm always shocked by the cost of meat. Who can afford to eat it every day now?

Wave to Curly, I hope you are able to relax this weekend.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 200/166.5/150

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

Hi folks. I’m not new but have been inactive for years. This looks like a pretty active, healthy crew here! For me, wt loss is all about the mental game. I’m familiar with Beck somewhat and downloaded the ebook today.

Would you mind if I joined you? I would be starting from Day 1…

If there are group expectations, let me know!
Closed Thread