Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #136  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I've had a hike, but no walking Otis today because dh is back to that. Last weekend was the only weekend he took off from that. He won't resume his 6 mile walks though until after he has seen the doctor on Thursday for his check up. The bruising which isn't bad has moved down his leg clear to the ankle. Our hike today was great and because of the angle of the sun at this time of year and an early start, we had shade during most of the hike.

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is down a little. We went out to dinner/happy hour with a friend yesterday and I checked the menu before we went. I had a salad that had a little roasted corn, a little avocado and a few pepitas. It wasn't enough, but it was on my program. I had a large bowl of air popped popcorn at home afterwards. It definitely didn't have enough protein, but I don't think one meal is a big deal.

I'm looking forward to getting my clothing items and hoping they fit. Then I can go from there to find a few more things. Today I'm going to do some food prep and then have an hour in the pool this afternoon. I don't want a big tan, but just try to keep it evened out a bit.

GardenerJoy Sounds like your bone density scan gave you pretty good results. I have had osteopenia for years but it's very stable thank goodness. I'm so sorry about the situation with your dn. I'm glad you're doing what you can to ensure you can live your own life. It's amazing how much stress about another person can change that. Boundaries aren't easy when our emotions are so involved.

Bill I suppose I had better look at the expiration dates on our home tests. We haven't used one yet. I guess I should use one just for practice. I do plan on taking some with me on my summer trip to be sure I'm fine before moving on to be with each of my friends.

Nationalparker I keep thinking about your heavy lifting with the house project and thinking you are getting a great workout. You must have pretty darned strong arms and shoulders. So nice to have such a sweet little dgs and that he expresses his joy. What a wonderful influence you two are in his life.
On that note I got a sweet "Mother's Day" card from my niece who comes to visit. It's wonderful to be appreciated.

Maryann Multicultural Day sounds great. What diversity you have at your school. One pound down is great and of course I think anything down is down. I was almost at the point of thinking maybe I should stay where I am, but then a little came off.

Penny It's fun that you've had some family celebrations. I think your example of little foreign exchange students who don't know our culture is perfect. If you were here you could do your summer wardrobe purchases now. Today is our coolest high at 91 and then it's just up from there. I won't need a jacket or sweater here (except in the movie theater) until late October.

Curlyjax I hope all of us here are correct in thinking once dd meets others and sees they are all a bit nervous but in the right place she will be able to relax a bit. I'm sure once she can relax a bit that will be very helpful for you. I hope the move goes smoothly.

Waving to Onebyone.

I've got an easy day ahead of me with things I like to do, food prep and pool time. Probably throw in a little reading too. Who could ask for more?

Old 05-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #137  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. Day two and three is usually more difficult than day one after off plan eating so I will keep that in mind.

We got a notice that one of the students in my youngest daughter's class tested positive for Covid so we're supposed to watch for symptoms. She sleeps with me and I could hear her dealing with a runny nose, so of course that set off some overthinking. She tested negative this morning and we'll keep testing as needed. I see some of our tests expire on 6/14.

Bill, good idea to sharpie the dates bigger on the test boxes. I will do that.

Karen, it's 70-75 degree highs here now. That's really encouraging for Joy to know you have had some osteopenia for a long time and it hasn't held you back from hiking.

Maryann, your dh does sound like a badass, very strong. The multicultural festival sounds great! I was blown away by the teen talent in the high school jazz band. I thought no way could those be kids but yes they were.

Joy, sorry about the stress with your niece. It's wise to know when to back off and not respond. I hope she finds some happy soon.

Nationalparker, so adorable that your grandson was so happy hanging with you. I hope I have that energy when I have grandchildren.

Last edited by Penny.; 05-21-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:23 PM   #138  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello - A brief check-in tonight before I hit the sack. A busy day and I overate by a snack tonight. Still on my challenge but apparently with the grandkids, that is taking a backseat to just keeping up with the dishes, laundry (bedding as night peeing is still a thing and waterproof pads are not cutting it for either of the kids last week or this week). I gave DGS an aluminum cup with water (no lid!) and he was beside himself - "It's GOLD!!" and he sipped water from it all day. DH poured a full cup of chocolate almond milk for him, then went to take a shower, and the cup promptly was spilled all over the dining room table/rug/floor/chair. It was only 8 oz but spread like 64. Grandson was visibly shaken and hands on his face like Home Alone. I just said we all drop things, it's OK. He kept saying he'd help clean it all up but what helps the most is if I don't have extra hands and feet in pooled milk. Now it's all up and rug is not that much more worse for wear and he's sleeping on the couch. I'm up until the waterproof pads come out of the dryer and I can slip them under him as well as the two puppy pads I put down when I realized his bed was wet tonight! He "adventure camped" last night on DH's cot, and DH is beside himself that both kids peed his cot. He was outside with the hose and the mattress tonight.

I was crushed earlier when DH got home from his folks' house with bad news - the dog that I fell in love with that is his brother's girlfriend's (follow that?) got out, chased a car and was hit by another car and killed. I fell apart. I wanted that dog and talked about him for the past few months. "Could we ask her if she ever couldn't care for it, could we take it?" (She'd adopted from a friend who couldn't care for it.) ... "couldn't we just let her know that?" He had gone out there for a few hours and his brother's girlfriend actually got a lot done today. She is a hard worker, but really, she is working in place of his brother. DH is giving her some things she'd like and things of good value, too, so I'm pleased with that. I did ask if she was crying when she told him about the dog and he said yes. I don't know why I asked that. They saw it happen, she and her little girl. That's tragic and something I could never get past.

I'm weary tonight. The whole day was Nana! Play with me! WHILE I WAS PLAYING WITH HIM. I say, "Honey, I AM playing with you!" I'm sitting there with a stuffed animal puppet on my hand, making funny voices and conversation, not like I have my phone nearby and not really paying him attention. It is 100%. I can't figure that one out. Books, legos, remote control cars, kinetic sand, matchbox cars, stuffies, more books, racing around the ottoman, playing zombie, playing monster, playing doctor, doctoring the stuffies, going through my "treasure" drawer of misc. stuff which takes an hour each time, "helping" me make hummus by shaking in the spices, playing fisher price people... And after bath with 26 fish/toys in the tub where he said he needed more toys, he asked if I would play with him some today. I think he needs the routine of attention here and not having to ask for it. Maybe??
Old 05-22-2022, 07:00 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Confederación Granadina (now Colombia) forms (1858)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Attended a wedding among fully masked folks. Both bride and groom had grandkids; the family benches were full. One teenager had an "aqua-blue" streak in his hair; I asked and learned that one has to carefully apply the dye with a paint brush. One teenager wore high-heel tennis shoes. At the bride's request, all the women attending wore Fascinators, many playfully hand-designed. Everyone looked both splendid and hilarious. A cello solo played in mid-ceremony by a young lady who told me that she'd been influenced by Yo-Yo Ma when very young. The mike that was passed around for folks to speak was carried by a six-year-old who, when their services weren't required, gracefully twirled about to music in their own head - one free soul. A well-planned affair.

Unfortunately, I over ate at the reception. The good news is that I found a tin of tree nuts so I could choose a Brazil nut. My take is that they are a rich source of selenium so I should eat them whenever they appear in front of me. Didn't have a justification for the cheese, meat, and cracker tray. Or the oatmeal raisin cookie platter. Tried to compensate with a small dinner but think that I have to cut back for a few days. Felt like a kid who was let out of the house for his first time in three years.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to be there for your DGN. Such a reminder that some have a more difficult time finding their path than others. Absolutely love that you saw the world premiere of Champion.

maryann - Do hope that your DH can find a new ranch manager. Sounds like he's doing a lot of physical labor for a guy his age.

nationalparker – I am so sorry to hear of the loss of the dog that had touched your heart. Such an interesting tale of how much attention your DGS can absorb and still be ready for more.

Karen (karenrn) - Your DH is healing super fast - hope he doesn't get ahead of himself. Kudos for finding something at the restaurant that was on your plan.

curlyjax - Waving - hopefully as you and your DS are moving your DD into her apartment in Boston.

Penny. - Kudos for back on plan. Ouch for a possible exposure, even though your DD is testing negative.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Before You Move On

After a while, following your Think Thin Initial Eating Plan will become habitual.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 126.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:57 AM   #140  
Green Tomatoes

No word from DN, yesterday. Which is worrisome but could mean so many things that I'm choosing distraction over worry. I'll offer a hike on our dry, but cool, Sunday and see if that nets a response.

DH translated last week's good news from the eye doctor to a desire to learn to fly. He took some pilot lessons before we met more than 30 years ago and has rekindled the interest a couple of times, since then -- but never got farther than home computer simulators. Now that he has the possibility of 20/20 vision without glasses, this dream looks more possible. I'm making a deliberate choice to be supportive instead of getting freaked out about what feels like a needlessly expensive and risky hobby.

I'm getting a lot of practice at the moment of living my own life and granting other people the freedom to live theirs.

Thanks for the discussion about expiration dates on COVID tests. I saw that we can order more free tests through the post office, but thought I'd skip it this time since we haven't used any of the previous tests. Expiration dates are good reason for ordering new tests.

Exercise +50, 1080/1500 minutes for May

maryann: Thanks for the God in my hula hoop saying. That's helpful.

karenrn: Yay for an easy day of things that you like. I'm glad that DH Is on the mend.

Penny: Good luck with Days 2 and 3 of on-plan eating.

nationalparker: So sorry for the loss of the dog that you felt attached to. We walk in the neighborhood enough that I tend to know all the dogs on sight and miss them when they're gone.

BillBlueEyes: Sounds like a lovely wedding and a good outing in these weird times.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Thanks for all the good wishes! Actually we haven't moved DD yet, that's coming up in two weeks. She has started nursing school via zoom, and then had classes friday. She is definitely feeling physically better although overwhelmed,in part because she's a little behind already.
Yesterday I slept in until 10:00 which I never do so I guess I needed it. I've also been dreaming of my mom, so clearly I feel in need of her. I went to a quick lunch at a newer friend's house who is a widow, and with my other widow friend, and it was just lovely. She has a battery operated lawnmower which she showed us, and I'm thinking of getting one now since mine has died. I was talking about how much I dreaded taking a dry run to practice driving to DD's apt in Boston, and my friend offered to go with me- so we went a few hours later. Thank goodness for friends! It's not too hard of a drive except at the end- and traffic- but the apt is on a narrow, one way up a slight hill side street. Great for walking, nightmare for cars. I'm going to go in via public transport next weekend, so I can take my time scoping out where I could park the van etc. I have been so stressed by all this so i'm taking it apart bit by bit. I'm hoping I can get another adult to accompany me but that might not happen.
Bill- what a fun wedding, how nice to attend such a happy event.
Nationalparker- little kids are exhausting. I wonder if he doesn't get enough attention at home? 'you sound like an awesome grandma!
Penny- ugh, hopefully you won't get covid.
Karen- glad DH is doing so well. Your clothes sound so cute, you must be having fun shopping.
Maryann-sorry DH is dealing with all the physical ranch stuff now. You are such a great partner for him!
Gardenerjoy- sorry about your niece, that does sound very stressful.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Sunday, Coaches.

Very nice day yesterday. Tahoe is beautiful. I took a great bike ride that was exhausting. I am happy to be able to bike around here again. All the ice is gone. My toe appreciates the bike especially. I hope by next week it is good to go.

i plan to take another bike ride today. I have half my salmon salad from last night's restaurant. The restaurant is a favorite and right on the lake. I have a short week coming up. I take off Thursday to drive down to the Hollywood Bowl. DS is flying into LA and we will see Steely Dan together. So excited.

Wave to all.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #143  

Good morning!

Day two was a success, and indeed more challenging. Weight is floating back down. I'm sure day three will be difficult too, but "knowing is half the battle....GI JOEEEE!" anyone else watch that cartoon?

So far, so good on Covid watch. My daughter said she felt fine after she was up. She's not up yet for today.

I saw a great poem online and immediately ordered the book it came from and was not disappointed. It's called Bonfire Opera by Danusha Laméris. I've never connected with poetry more than a distant amusement but her poems look at nature the way I look at nature and include a dark twist that hits me emotionally. So good!

Bill, that wedding sounds fabulous! I now know fascinators are called fascinators so thanks for that. That must have been fun for them all to wear.

Nationalparker, so sorry about the dog! That's terrible. Your dgs is an only child? Whenever I had one of my friends "only child" I was always impressed by how much attention they need. It's so exhausting! The full waterproof mattress covers are a must. You're a great grammy.

Joy, that's great your dh has a zest for life and is making goals. His goals may change quickly before you have a chance to worry.

Curly, yay for sleeping in! I guess I misread your comment about preparing her stuff for the move and thought it was happening this weekend. I'm glad you have some time.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #144  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan. I got up and hiked early and then after cleaning up actually took a short nap. I hiked alone so I'm listening to How Not to Diet. I have the book but it's so long I kind of just use it for a reference. My blazer arrived yesterday and was too big by just a little, but the sleeves were too long too. I saw that they had an 8P available here in town so I exchanged it this morning and then went to visit a friend who lives in that area after I called her to be sure it was okay. It was nice to have an in person visit. The two tee shirts I ordered arrived today and I like them. The short sleeves are just above the elbow and there is some spandex or whatever in them so they aren't baggy. I've had a little time in the pool and done my plank and arm/shoulder exercises. I think I've missed about a day a week, so I am happy with that. Tomorrow I'll have a last hike with my new friend before she leaves for Minnesota for the summer.

Penny I'm glad Covid watch is still good. I hope it continues that way. I don't know why it is that some days have to be more difficult that others. I'm hungry myself today, but trying to remember (not always easy) that I still want to lose about ten pounds.

Maryann I'm glad you're having a great time in Tahoe. I bet the bike riding is great. I love Steely Dan. I still have at least one of his/their albums.

Curlyjax I thought this was moving week too. I guess I thought it because of something you said about the temps. I hope you can get another adult to go with you also.

GardenerJoy I hope things smooth out with dn. What a worry. Truth be told it probably slips her mind to even think to communicate with you and doesn't realize. Of course I could be totally wrong.

Bill The wedding sounds very fun especially with the Fascinators. I love those little hats. Nice that you had an occasion to have some foods that you don't have very often any more. I would go straight for the oatmeal raisin cookies.

Nationalparker Your time with dgs makes me tired just reading about it. It's been a long time since I had little ones to care for. Luckily when we see our nieces and nephews and their children, Mom and Dad are here and usually Grandma and Grandpa too. I'm sure he just loves his time with you and all the love he receives. Of course I know you love it too. I'm sorry about the death of the dog you were attached to. It's been a really bad animal week for you. As far as the extra snack . . . I think you more than worked it off.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:21 PM   #145  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! I'm aiming for a quick post and then a bath and bed. I'm weary. We had the DGS until around 2, when we brought him home to his house. Stepdaughter told DH to bring him there as she didn't want him riding with her husband, who just got off a near-double shift. She texted us to bring him home, but apparently told her husband we were bringing him to where she was working. So we waited for a half hour at the house until we learned what the deal was, and then another half hour drive to where she worked. Honestly, I was highly aggravated, since she pulls this game a lot. What does she get? Just manipulation of us driving around. And while that seems inane, I know she loves that power of yanking our chains when we're spending time with grandson. DH keeps telling me we have to roll with the flow or there will be another 6 mos to a year of not seeing him. From there, we went out to his folks for seven hours and got home a bit ago. As soon as DH is out of the shower, I'm taking a hot bath.

I brought their cat's ashes to bury her out at their place, where she lived her 22 years. I had bought a pretty large potted perennial to put on her grave (I'll put in the ground), and watered it and left it on the washer to get light yesterday. Today it was gone. WTH? I texted his brother's girlfriend to see if she put it outside and it blew off in the storm. She said no, she took it - she didn't know where it came from. Some days... I said OK I'll pick it up tomorrow when we bring a four-wheeler to her in the trailer.

Food has been good today, but no great activity. Tomorrow will be hopefully several trips to recycling to clear out more.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:06 AM   #146  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - National Maritime Day (since 1933, Public Resolution by US Congress)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Afternoon visit with the (2 yo) DFGD, DS, and DIL. Delightful romp in a kiddie sprinkler park where she got to watch kids just a few years older do all the tricks - then copy them. Splashing water felt just right in the 94 degree Fahrenheit temps. She is expressing a bit of the two-year-old demanding personality which makes me feel good that she's not hiding in fear of being a foster kid. All the kids were fully immersed in their antics. The universal goal was to fill a red plastic stadium cup with water and dump it on a kid who was already fully soaked. Then both laugh hysterically. There were ample stadium cups from the half-dozen birthday party tables set up around the park. Diversity abounded; a German speaking couple approached my DIL when they heard the DFGD call her 'Oma' - to see if they were German speaking. Apparently, 'Oma' is used around the globe for mom or grandmom. Of the several different Asian families, I wish I was better at detecting where within all of Asia they were from.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was omelettes - eaten inside because now it was too hot to eat out on the patio. Excitement was examining our four jars of JIF peanut butter to see if our jars were among the ones folks are being asked to destroy to avoid salmonella: News article and FDA announcement. We're clear. The news article doesn't give enough information to determine - one has to read both.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Continue to wish you well trying to help your DGN. So exciting that your DH is ready to take flying lessons. You can drop by Boston to have dinner with us some evening when you're free. The time to worry is when he decides to take up flying gliders.

maryann - Do love that Tahoe is so refreshing for you. Bike rides there sound just the best. Am getting excited about Steely Dan.

nationalparker – What a nice plan to have a potted perennial to mark the cat's grave. Ouch for the various family dramas with Kudos for your choice to remain sane.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you fixed the blazer issue and that the other mail-order clothes fit. Yay for a nap.

curlyjax - You seem to have the strategy skills of a general planning an assault with your DD's move. I suspect that there's a limit on how much stuff will fit in a Boston-sized apartment.

Penny. - Lovely to hear, "Weight is floating back down." Also lovely to not hear pain and nausea as the major theme of your post. Hope you continue to be healing.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Before You Move On

When you eat an unbalanced meal, you just won't feel as well. Time after time, I have heard dieters say that they lose their taste for their old eating choices. They say that following the Think Thin plan is now what feels good.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 126.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:40 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Super hot day yesterday, unseasonable heat. I have some seedlings inside waiting to be planted which is one more thing to do but it was too hot to do anything outside. I did go buy a new battery powered mower yesterday with the help of DS, and I went to a thrift store run by a nearby church and scored some new clothes. It was half off sale so I only spent 15 bucks. A few things I'll have to wait to lose weight to get into, but that's ok. I got takeout again. I've been so flustered and overwhelmed by the mess and everything that i'm kind of frozen and not doing anything, which is unusual for me. Today I'll go into work which will ground me, and then focus on what I can do ie put away my laundry and clear off the dining room table. I feel better today anyhow. Thanks for letting me vent here!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:06 AM   #148  
Green Tomatoes

Still no word from DN. I wrote a note to send through the post, as a low-key way of letting her know she's still in our thoughts.

Today's adventure is the dentist. I'm a few months late for a six-month cleaning, rescheduled due to a COVID surge at the time. Since my last appointment, I developed a daily flossing habit for the first time in my life. So, I'm hoping that they're pretty happy with how my teeth look.

I'll complain about the top left wisdom tooth that's developed a sharp point which is constantly irritating my inner left cheek. I suspect that I've lost all or part of a filling. That may lead to discussion about removing one or more wisdom teeth because they are really hard to work on. But I'm hoping that it's more like "Here, I'll just file that down for you."

Exercise +50, 1130/1500 minutes for May
Old 05-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #149  

Good morning!

Day three on plan was not too hard at all. Weight is still recovering.

We continue to be feeling fine so getting the kids off to school today, with their good masks of course. I helped with grocery shopping yesterday and was very tired and sore by the checkstand. These little sign of how far I have to go with healing make me worry about having to be ready for the return to work. Hopefully my energy is back by then.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 05-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #150  

Good afternoon coaches,

Yesterday's extra hungry feeling led to a couple of extra snacks instead of saying Oh well and moving on. I had some dried apricots and air popped popcorn, which were enough to move the scale up a bit. Today and I had an early hike with my new friend who will be leaving on Friday to return to Minneapolis for the summer. It's that time of the year when I get used to fewer people being around. I'll have to say with the changes in my social life due to covid in the past couple of years, it's not such a change anymore. Otis and I had a pretty good walk, but there are two houses in the neighborhood with a lot of construction going on and he is a bit nervous about the trucks there unloading building supplies.

I am made a trip to Walmart to purchase some wide mouthed glass jars to store some dry beans, rice etc. I think they will work out pretty well. The box of a dozen was only about $13. I came home and did a little organizing. The book Fridge Love has some beautiful photos of how to store things, including some things that are not in the fridge. I'm trying to get myself motivated to do some things around the house and that was a start.

Penny I'm glad you all are still doing okay. I hope your energy is on the upswing soon. Don't overdo it in the meantime.

GardenerJoy Good luck at the dentist and I hope he can just do a little filing. I think it's so exciting that your husband feels so hopeful about his vision that he would like to fly. Even if that is just the pendulum heading way over one way; that is a big change from not driving to wanting to fly!

Curlyjax I think the battery powered mower sounds like a great idea. I'm glad you got it. Nice that you found a couple of new clothing items and bargains too.

Bill I bet your dfgd had a wonderful time playing in the water. What a fun thing when it's so warm. I looked at our peanut butter jar too and was happy it was Skippy. I want to like the natural ones, but hate the stirring.

Nationalparker You are pretty patient but you would have to have the patience of an absolute saint not to get annoyed with sd.

Maryann Have a good week. I'm sure it's nice to know it will be a short one.
Closed Thread