Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 10:37 PM   #61  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! A good day in all; a soft reset to a restart with a friend tomorrow. It's funny how people reach out at the right time sometimes. That makes me less hesitant when I'm reaching out on something, as well. It might be the right time for someone else. Walked with a friend this morning and then zipped over to the Humane Society to drop off a stack of freshly laundered throws from in-laws. Two garbage bags full. More stuff passed on. I called the library in their small town and asked if they accepted boxes of mostly paperback books for a library sale at any time. The librarian said Yes! It's going to be Saturday! WELL... I was so excited and part of my task tomorrow when I go out there to work is to collect the rest of the books that are in good shape, box them up, and drive back into the town and get them all dropped off. So far I have six large boxes (heavy for me, but I'll manage getting them down the steps and to the car, hopefully). Penny, as much as I love new dishes, I'm excited about progress every day with the in-laws house even if I'm not there, lol! I love dishes SO MUCH that when something cracks/breaks, I put in a bin to use for mosaics. And I don't know how to do mosaics. But I will learn this summer, hopefully. OneByOne - let me know if you do any video mosaic instruction

Met DH at the cinema to see The Batman. Long. Not my kind of movie, so I luckily had earplugs and drifted off to sleep and made my mental lists. He enjoyed it, though, and that was the goal. Our theatre is chilly, so I bring some Eddie Bauer travel blankets that go in a small stuff sack and they're perfect.

Karen - My DH has the same issue with Benadryl - he's groggy for way too long. When I think of how easily I slept for much of my adult life, I guess I'm thankful for that.

Ann - I'm with you on finding the right amount of liquid before bed. I do get up in the middle of the night, but if I can fall asleep again speedily, I'm good with that. It's a big IF though, some nights. Credits for continued gratitude recognition and journaling. Thank you for writing that to remind me to do so, as well.

Bill - What are you seeking as you look for books regarding culling some household/personal/paperwork items down the line? Specifics (like digitize photos and then pass on the prints if desired, put tags under items you want to go to someone specific and list them in another document kept with your paperwork, locations you'd like items donated to - libraries, etc.) ... or slightly motivational? My parents' record keeping was so helpful, financially, and their preparations for their final wishes were prepaid and determined as dad was career military and chose burial in a National Cemetery. Not having to figure that out was a blessing.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:42 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Adam Smith publishes the economics book "The Wealth of Nations" (1776)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the supermarket continues to be considered an excitement as we ponder slithering out of isolation. This supermarket requires masks; all wear them. A simple, comfortable feeling. Was annoyed that the store's database charges $3.99 each for the two bags of tortilla chips that are a staple at our house; they've always sold for $3 as the price on the shelf declares. With a special trip to the service desk, I got them for $3 while a gentleman in a supervisor's red coat ceremoniously went to the shelf and removed the price. Problem solved! I spent too much time being annoyed at myself for that much effort to save $1.98 just because it violated my sense of fair play. We can get the same brand chips at Whole Foods for less. Hard to believe that last sentence since I'm used to believing that Whole Foods charges more than anywhere else.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Evening Zoom was a working meeting with the group that I support that distributes small grants to organizations that help children. Excitement was learning to use the IF function in google sheets. I know Excel, but have to learn each notion anew in google sheets. Was kinda neat that five of us could all be looking at the sheet of numbers at the same time - even as one of us was typing in information. Like the 20th century.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at "The whole point, of course, is to beat my brother." Good to be reminded that adulting doesn't mean giving up certain joys of sibling-hood. Glad that your knee work is paying off. Yep, DW and I both have had that annoyance of seeing the other effortless pick up a piece we've been long looking for.

nationalparker – Super neat that you found a library that can use your books for a library sale - I'd never thought of that. For my own downsizing, I'm looking to reduce every area where I just have too much. For example, I love briefcases - carried one to work for over 40 years. I own a dozen. That includes a couple that are canvas type with zippers that don't work. I don't let them go because they are still might be useful for lugging something. I could use the space they're taking on my closet floor as well as the space in my head. The hardest one for me to let go is quality leather, brand-named (Kenneth Cole), with memories of years going back and forth to the office. It's beat to death - too ratty to be picked up at a yard sale. If I hired a pro at $95 per hour, I'd spend at least $95 arguing why I had to keep it.

Karen (karenrn) - Such fun to think of standing next to a balance rock. You know, there are 50 states in the US yet Arizona legislatures continues to be in my newspapers. Why don't you run for office and straighten things out.

curlyjax - Congrats for raising a DS who can, and will, produce a meal. Ouch for chocolate covered raisins - I'd have trouble with those, too.

Penny. - Yay for the excitement of replacing bowls - our lives have turned so inward. You remind me that I don't know if I'm still able to have conversations with people.

Ann (AnnC123) - Thanks for the tip about Marie Kondo Minimalism, and Tidying Up books. I'll look for them. Thanks for the tidbit that lizards have eyelids.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Dinner Guidelines

Use this advice as you transition to Think Thin Dinner Options: . . .
  • If you tend to eat extra food as you prepare dinner, consider having your afternoon snack just before preparing dinner to ward off hunger and temptation.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 118.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Bellydancing was so fun last night. I didn’t really want to leave the house, but once I was there it was great. It’s good for my brain to be learning new things like moving my arms gracefully. And then I had a little more energy when I came home so I could finally deal with my laundry.
I’m sloooowly moving towards better eating but keep sidetracking myself. I think I better stay off the scale for a bit, I keep getting discouraged.
Penny: I remember Alison Bechdel, goodness! She did a funny comic for years, and I met her when I was living in Vermont because I was an acquaintance of her girlfriend of the time. That brings back memories.
Karen- you’re right, I’m probably expecting I can get too much done. Have you ever used melatonin? I find it doesn’t make me as groggy in the morning when I occasionally use it.
Nationalparker- I took a mosaics workshop a few years ago with a friend, it was really fun. Have I ever finished my project from then? No I would love to do a small patio table but that will have to wait until i’m retired I think!
Old 03-09-2022, 10:41 AM   #64  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Hoping to make it three days on plan today. The later, second check-in seems to help so maybe I'll do that again.

I don't know how it has gotten so bad but my bedroom is an absolute mess. Cleaning it up is the goal for today, which means making decisions on piles of stuff.

Curly, Alison Bechdale's book is centered around her home in Vermont. Very cool that you have met her!

Bill, that's funny you got the price of chips changed. I keep a price book of our usual items and our chips are $3.70. The increase in the price of flour is what got me recently.

Nationalparker, boxes of books are so heavy. Don't hurt yourself! I had the idea to try mosaic tiling once. I broke up some plates and realized even the biggest plates have curves to the broken bits. I wasn't sure what to do about curved pieces so immediately gave up the project. Lol

Old 03-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #65  
Believe

S/C/G: 255/230/200

Good morning Coaches
Yesterday was a good day for the most part. I logged all my food, my gratitude journal, posted here and walked. I did not get back for personals. I had an unplanned eating blip/downfall. My husband bought Timbits (they are donut holes). I ate them without even thinking about it. In fact gobbled them. I do not like the feeling. If they were planned or I was mindfully eating it would have been okay. I think I will just avoid them. I have for years so I am not sure what was going on.

BillBlueEyes - That is great you can get things cheaper at Whole Foods. I always thought they were more expensive too. It is better $1.98 in your pocket.

Gardenerjoy - how fun that you enjoy beating your brother. My son jokes that my husband and I are immature because we do that to each other. I think fun competition is good for us. We both laugh about it.
Nationalparker – It is great timing you found a library that was having a book sale. It is like it was meant to be. That is a great idea to make something mosaic.

Karen - The budha bowls look yummy, easy to make and healthy. It is a win-win. I am going to try to make them.

Curlyjax - Belly dancing sounds like fun. It looks like it requires coordination.

Penny - Sending supportive thoughts and encouragement staying on plan. It is a great idea to check in twice a day. Good luck on finding bowls. I bought some bowls from the Pioneer woman line. They are very colorful.

I am off for a walk.
Waving to everyone. Have a great day.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

Thanks, karenrn and Penny, for the input on my strength-training vs PT question. What I'm realizing is that most of what I call strength-training, isn't. So, I'm going to have to think about what that means going forward. I'm definitely being too cautious either in my exercises or in my frequency or both. But I can think about that when my knee is fully healed.

Exercise +55, 405/1500 minutes for March
Old 03-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #67  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan. This morning I met my friend for coffee and a nice visit. She is leaving tomorrow to fly back east and start the Appalachian Trail. I'm leaving soon to take Otis to the groomer, so hopefully can finish this note by then. Tomorrow I'm hiking Camelback for the first time this year. I always like to do it before Flatiron cause they are a bit similar although Flatiron is longer and harder.

Penny The Costco sleep aid is the same thing you take and I also take 1/2 tab.

Curlyjax I tried Melatonin years ago and it didn't do a thing. I'll stick with the Costco sleep aid cause at least I know it works and I probably don't take it more than about ten times in a year.

More personals tomorrow. I don't want to be late getting Otis to the spa.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #68  

Hello, here for an afternoon check-in. I'm going to finish the day at 1338 calories, according to my Lose It app.

Since I've declared it here, it must be true!
Old 03-09-2022, 10:51 PM   #69  
Enjoying la bella vita

Brief check-in - food was on plan today, so credit there. At my inlaws, I loaded up 11 boxes of books in my CRV and took them back into town to the library, got the circulation cart and it only would fit the boxes on the top shelf. I was pushing it up the sidewalk from the parking lot, and hit a ridge and the cart fell over, the boxes flew off, and I tumbled headfirst over the cart. My legs smacked the shelves on the cart and the back of my hand hit the ground. Sheesh. An inauspicious start to the unloading project. Collected myself and the books that popped out of one box (with the assist from an older gent), and got them inside. Five more trips back and forth to the car, then back out to the house, and loaded up nine more boxes, which took me a couple of hours to clean the books off, tape boxes, etc., then back into town to drop this load off. I called it a day at that, and drove home. I'll have some interesting looking thighs with some wideband bruising. I am so worried about falling on ice because I've hit really hard a few times, but falling when walking into a library usually isn't on my fear list.

Bill - Have you read Love People, Use Things by the Minimalists? That is the book I liked, and empowered (if that makes sense) me to cull things that I don't need that aren't really serviceable. Now I'm zipping to the trash with items that just have outlived their need, or to goodwill if they're still usable by SOMEONE.I love talking reducing stuff around the house. As I bring in items from my in-laws. Like an antique camera that has no value, except sentimental for DH - it was his grandfather's and he was closer to him than his parents. (They watched him a lot during his childhood.) I asked DH if we could put up a small shelf and put the camera on it, and find a photo of he and his grandfather and frame that next to it, as well. He was all in. It looks cool and matches our funky stuff here.

More personals tomorrow. Off to get some rest. Funeral of a friend's sister tomorrow and I'll drive three friends. Then tossing around the idea of returning to the inlaws to do a few runs to the recycling dropoff and just clear things out. OR clean my own house! Have a super Thursday, all!
Old 03-10-2022, 06:34 AM   #70  
Believe

S/C/G: 255/230/200

Good morning coaches.

Yesterday I wrote my food, exercise, gratitude journal and posted here.

I had a fun day with DGDs, My older DGD told me we couldn't play until we finished our reading. I love reading and books so I thought it was a great plan. The younger DGD read me a book making up the words based on the picture. It was really interesting to see what she sees and her thought process. They are so differentwhich is a good thing. It makes life interesting.

We are going to get more snow on Friday and Saturday. Snow I can walk in.

I find my days goes by fast as we are out exploring but when I come to type here I think, oh that is boring to others. I did go on the computer to research vacations. It seemed like I got a bit sidetracked and started looking at Tiny Houses. I feel like I get distracted easily when I am on the computer.
Nationalparker - wow, who knew delivering books to the library could be a risky activity. I hope your bruising/pain is bearable. That is great that you are clearing so much stuff out of your in laws house. That is a lot of work. A beautiful memory for your DH by putting the camera and a picture of your husband and his grandfather on a shelf.

Penny - Since I've declared it here, it must be true! - I love it. How are your new bowls. I didn't read your post correctly, I missed the part of you ordering them.

Gardenjoy - Hoping your knee heals soon.

Karen - Enjoy hiking Camelback today. How was Otis' visit to the groomer?

Okay I am off to walk. It feels nice to get out there early.

Waving hello to everyone. Have a great day.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:22 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday-Spanish Bishop Tomιs de Berlanga accidentally finds Galapagos Islands (1535)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Time with the (6 yo) DGD was expanded - early due to a half-day at school and late so that both her parents could attend her teacher conference. To no surprise, she was reported delightful, progressing in her reading, and a bit bossy. "Bossy?" we laughed with our DD, as if we all hadn't noticed. How can you not be bossy if you're the oldest in your class and the tallest? She reads more and more. And insists on finishing a book she starts. We now have to be careful what we pick up lest we not be allowed to drive home until she's done. We drove home in the snow - light snow, but snow. Not my favorite driving since I think all the other drivers aren't aware just how slippery a light snow makes the roads. I'm in my "all the other drivers" state of driving, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. My dinner was on a tray while I listened to a Zoom presentation by Kathryn Paige Harden, author of the book we're using in my class, The Genetic Lottery: Why DNA Matters for Social Equality. The challenge for me when reading social scientists is that they use the word 'cause' to mean 'counterfactual' that raises the probability of an event. I'm used to using 'cause' to mean 'determines' as in igniting the rocket engines causes the Saturn V Rocket to lift off the NASA launch pad. Good to be reminded that there are different kinds of brains out there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for continuing the discussion about strength training and PT for your knee. I like being reminded that my knee is my responsibility - it isn't like a barnacle that the whale just ignores.

nationalparker – Thanks for the tip for Love People, Use Things by the Minimalists - I'm open to anything that will get my brain into the right frame of mind. Love the story of your DH's grandfather's camera. Good solution.

Karen (karenrn) - So neat that your friend is about to start the Appalachian Trail. Hope she's staring at the southern end because Maine is still a tad cold and snowy.

curlyjax - It is Super Cool that you're into belly dancing. Who'da thunk!

Penny. - Good luck cleaning your bedroom - I'm on the sidelines cheering. Neat idea to keep a price book. Makes me consider that the store had, indeed, raised the price of the Tortilla Strips and simply failed to update the price on the shelf. Paying a higher price each week for the exact same item is a pain.

Ann (AnnC123) - I am so grateful that I don't face a Tim Horton's nearby since I'd fall face first into their Old Fashioned Glazed Timbits.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Dinner Guidelines

Use this advice as you transition to Think Thin Dinner Options: . . .
  • Carefully measure your portion and plate it before sitting down to eat. Keep serving bowls away from the table. If they are out of sight, you will be less tempted to reach for seconds.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 118.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:44 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Work was busy and quite satisfying yesterday. Excitement of the day was DS putting on a new toilet seat for me (with commentary on how disgusting it all was but he did have gloves on) which I’ve been meaning to do for over a year. He is so helpful, I plan to use him a lot in the summer for little projects.
I made a double recipe of turkey meatloaf and some sweet potato fries which we will eat today as well. DS talks about eating salad but hasn’t touched the salad in the refrig yet, lol, I guess I will have to make an official one today. I went to bed a little hungry which I suspect is the only way i’m going to lose weight.
I need to bring one of the cars in that is squeaking; after youtubing I think I know the problem, which is quite empowering! We’ll see if i’m right.
It snowed a few inches last night. We’re all in shock but the fact is its early March and still winter, and its all going to melt soon.
Penny- yay for 3 days OP. I hear you, my bedroom falls apart very quickly and stays like that.
Ann-its so hard when unexpected sweets show up. Your DGD sound so fun.
Nationalparker-oh my goodness, I’m so glad you’re okay and didn’t hit your head. Had to giggle about walking into the library not making the fear list.
Karen- I’ve heard other folks say that about melatonin. Your friend is brave to start the appalachian trail now, its still not great weather in some states.
Gardenerjoy-I’ve had great luck with a book called The Core Program by Peggy Brill. She is a PT and I trust her advice on stretching and weights (ie don’t lift above the head). Its older and on Amazon. I do a modified version of her stretches everyday.
Bill- that lecture sounds really interesting, I’m going to see if she’s done a TED talk. Too funny that you weren't surprised about DGD's school report!
Old 03-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

I took my first walk in a week, and it went fine -- just a little achiness when I got back which I treated with ice and naproxen. Everything seems okay this morning.

Exercise +60, 465/1500 minutes for March

nationalparker and curlyjax: I put Love People, Use Things and The Core Program on a list of books for me to request at the library next week. Our library's online catalog is off-line for a week. They're upgrading so that the County system and City system will work seamlessly together. That's going to give me access to a lot more books, so it's exciting. But I'm already not enjoying a whole week without access to the catalog and the week only started yesterday.

nationalparker: I hope you heal quickly from your misadventure at the library.

BillBlueEyes: Here's a whole page of memes for DGD: Share #BANBOSSY. My personal favorites are "I'm not bossy. I'm the boss." ~Beyonce and "My daughter's not bossy. She has executive leadership skills" ~Norah O'Donnell.
I love that this campaign is being run by the Girl Scouts.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #74  

Good morning!

Yesterday was as planned. My bedroom is much better and I have a load of things ready for Goodwill, packed into the car.

The new bowls arrived and the Pho bowls are so much bigger than the ones we usually buy at the Asian market. Hopefully not too big, and they are very pretty.

Nationalparker, sorry about the tumble with the book cart. Sounds painful!

Karen, good luck to your friend on the AT. I've always been fascinated by the stories.

Ann and Bill, love the images of your GDs reading. I'm not reading with my daughter at the moment but I get to listen to her tell me all about her current reads.

Joy, yay for the walk! Sending support for getting through the week without online library access. These times really are difficult. lol

Curly, lol at your son disgusted by the toilet seat job. He's learning a new skill!
Old 03-10-2022, 05:19 PM   #75  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello~ It's a gorgeous sunny day here; thankful for that as a funeral on a dreary day seems that much more somber. Our friend seemed uplifted to see us (a group of four of us from the office where two of us worked, and two still do). I had thought I'd go back out to the in-laws; instead, I went home and once I changed and ate lunch, I morphed into a slug and read for a bit, brewed a cup of tea, and petted the cat who joined me on the couch, purring away. She didn't get much attention this week.

DH is moving forward on decisions with the house contents, touching base with his brother to let him know anything he wants and if they both want something, they'll discuss (doubt that will happen); his brother wants some furniture, and we're wondering if he wants to take in the rest of the DVDs to sell on his own/keep the money. Same with the other collections that have little to no value (beanie babies - hundreds; diecast cars, twilight stuff - I KNOW!) If he wants to try to sell items, we'll drop them at his apartment, but they need to leave the house. DH said we'd pack everything up and drop it to him. I replied that his brother could very well pack up the items he wanted; I've brought boxes and tape there. DH was like YEAH! Then I realized I was rabble rousing a bit. In a way, In a way, I'm excited to go out there on Saturday because I think we'll make good progress - DH finally realizes we need thing OUT and not just stacked in piles for this person or that person. Fingers crossed the snow is light tomorrow and the country roads are not icy.

Despite being home this afternoon, I didn't prep dinner yet. I asked DH to join me on a walk when he gets home, just three miles on the trail next to our home. His blood pressure readings are coming in higher with the cuff I ordered (higher than normal, not higher than the dr. office), so I said let's get moving more at home. Dinner will be simple - veggie fajitas and low carb tortillas - I was going to make that a few days ago and didn't.

Bill - Too funny on the DGD's teacher report. In primary school, I used to get the report that I socialized too much. The other book I especially enjoyed on minimalism was The More of Less by Joshua Becker. Basically they're all the same, just different mindsets that perhaps lead you to a resolution that you're comfortable with. I can clear/clean out so many things, but can't let go of a dish. "Oh, but wouldn't guacamole look so pretty in that bowl! ... Oh, grilled chili lime corn on the cob will look so appealing on that platter...I can't get rid of that!" and on and on. Dishes are my vice. Not high end ones, either, Pier 1 was my jam.

Karen - Have you done the AT (or parts) - or mostly in the west? I remember when you did the Camino de Santiago and OH how I wanted to do that. Then wanted to do the Via Francigena in Italy...but read about the stray dogs that at times harass hikers and nixed that quickly.

Penny - I'm enjoying your new pho bowls right along with you I bought these bowls awhile back and actually use them for a lot (I just bought two), along with the larger serving bowl.

Ann - Don't think we'd think your explorations are boring - we all love the slice of life news, I think. My DH got into the tiny house videos when it first became a thing, before they got so expensive with fancy storage units sliding here and there. I think he liked the idea of doing it on the cheap. How much is your gas up there now?

GardenerJoy - I'm glad to hear your walk went well and continuing on the road to recovery! Good news about your library's expanded content access. I absolutely love my library, and the ability that we have to put books on hold, delivered to a specific branch for free, is amazing. I hope ours doesn't move to the European model and reduce print holdings. That worries me. Seems a tad easier to delete access to anything.

CurlyJax - How cool that your DS is a handy project guy. That will help him his whole life, being able to tackle things and not have to call in a handyman for everything. I've asked DH if we can get one of those higher toilets when we redo a bit of our bathroom. I notice how easy they are to get on/off when I'm at my brother's. I feel old even typing that, haha. Your sweet potato fries sound wonderful. I think I'll cube up some sweet potatoes to roast and add to our veggie fajitas.

Closed Thread