Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 07:37 AM   #31  
Believe

S/C/G: 255/230/200

Height: 5'3"

This is my second post. I lost everything. I have to remember to copy it before I post it...

Good morning Everyone. - I had a nice day yesterday. Walked, logged my food and wrote in my gratitude journal. Weighed in and I am the same. I was disappointed but realized. I didn't gain anything either. I weigh twice a day as MaryAnn suggested and I log it on Friday. I am using it as information only right now.
I was telling my husband we should book a cabin as things are opening up again. He reminded me we were at a cabin while the protest was happening. He thought it was a vacation. I thought it was a positive mental health getaway. I hear we are getting freezing rain tonight for about ten hours. I hope the weather network is wrong. Remember it is March, it is supposed to be nice weather. I realize we get snow when it wants to show up. I am off to walk soon,

BillBlueEyes - My husband does not go to the doctor much either. I am sure it is because he is a male. Do you think you may go into withdrawal from not having your evening orange?

Karen - That is so sweet you leave music on for Otis. I'm thinking Otis probably enjoys Christmas music Just because I enjoy Christmas music any time, I think everyone does too.

Nationalparker - Your food sounds so yummy.

Okay, I am off to walk. Waving hello to everyone.
Have a great day.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:50 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Nice light day at work yesterday. I planned to eat lunch at work and just had a sandwich with chips. I had two butterscotch hard candies only, when I felt the need for a little something. I didn’t get to the gym since my DD requested I get some groceries for her and I had other errands to do, but that was fine. I got a chipotle bowl for dinner which I ate over a course of a few hours, but still was a little hungry when I went to bed.
Today I need to pick up DS for his week long spring break, and DD is home to work, so they’ll have an overlap. I’m also planning to help my friend with dumping some condo stuff, and maybe we’ll hang out later.
Ann- great to go walking first thing and with a friend to keep you going. I’m staying off a lot of media too.
Gardenerjoy- seated yoga sounds great. I find yoga much more challenging than when i was in my 20s!
Karen- roasting a big thing of veggies is a great idea. What is the vegan sauce you put on, is there an easy recipe?
Nationalparker- that cabin idea is so cute! You’d want to know your partner really well, that is a small space. Have a great time with DGS.
Bill- that is definitely true about working with body things instead of fixing them.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #33  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The knee is improving. The brace works great! I'm now walking on flat surfaces almost normally. I'm still taking stairs one-footed and I still need to be careful to avoid twisting moves, but it now feels like the predictions of healing in one or two weeks are accurate.

Exercise +50, 195/1500 minutes for March

nationalparker: Yes -- icing and elevating have increased my reading time. I'm rotating through Conscious Living / Conscious Aging by Ron Pevny, Emergent Strategy by adrienne maree brown, and The Huntress by Kate Quinn.

BillBlueEyes: I've visited the place where Churchill delivered the Iron Curtain speech. It's now marked with some pieces of the grafittied Berlin Wall.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Saturday, Coaches.

Wow, slept until 9:00 again. I must really get beat at school. So thankful I have arrange my schedule at school to be able to be flexible in the afternoons or I don't think I would have the energy to keep working they way I insist on working.

I am becoming aware of the constant battle with conscious and sub conscious. I declare war on manufactured food and yesterday I binged on it. I know from The Hungry Brain and Happy at any Size, this is not fictional. My hypothalamus actually releases chemicals when I stop participating in the bliss point of sugar, fat, salt. It drives me to seek the very same thing. So . . . it takes three weeks to grow new taste buds. I need a plan on avoiding the bliss point in my foods that doesn't result in an increase in hypothalamus reaction. Keeping a food journal I realize when I start to take action on the craving, things speed up. I am at school at high energy and can't afford to slow down. What if I did slow down? Ok, the new plan in when I set the kids free on an independent work point, I sit next to a kid for ten minuted. This is good teaching and gives me ten minutes to think. Check. When I have a craving at breaks I will promise myself a 'treat' that does not have a bliss point. The treat must be off campus. If I do not bring healthy food to work I will leave campus, get a salad bar and come back. Check. I will implement these ideas on Monday.

curleyjax: Thanks for the tip of altoids. I will keep them at work.
Nationalparker: Thursday Murder Club has a book three coming out soon. Yeah!.

Wave to all.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #35  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan and I am finally hit a new low (barely) to 136.8. I was glad to see it. We went to dinner with friends last evening and I had a veggie salad and had them hold the cheese. I was proud of myself for making a choice and not calling attention to myself and my new eating plan. There wasn't much to choose from on the menu, but the salad was good.

I was planning to hike this morning with a friend I don't see often, but my former co-worker the social worker that was my partner on the Palliative Care Team called last evening and asked if I could take her for an MRI. She tweaked her back badly and of course that took precedence. We shared an office for almost ten years before I retired ten years ago. We had a great visit just like old times and I'm sure the distraction did her good. I'll hike tomorrow.

I've pretty much made part of my summer plans. I'll fly to Washington the end of July for my very good friends 70th birthday. I'll stay there a week and then go to Vancouver BC to see my friend there for a week and then fly to Calgary on 8/15 for my hiking trip there. I was losing sleep over what to do but my Canadian friend helped me sort it out and mostly said she'd love to have me and we'll do plenty of hiking. We've hiked a ton up there and loved it.

Maryann You are blessed to be able to sleep that well when you need it.

GardenerJoy I'm glad to hear your knee is improving. I would imagine that is a relief to know it is likely going to be okay sooner rather than later.

Curlyjax Sounds like it will be busy around your home with the kids. I sent you a private message with the cheese sauce recipe. I actually received the recipe from Nationalparker.

Ann My friend who goes to WW was disappointed with what the scale said after having a good week. The leader told her to think of it as "the check is in the mail". I thought that was pretty good. It will be coming to us it's just that the timing isn't always when we think it should be.

Bill So I didn't get it. Is it just that the PCP thought the low sugar tea cookies are an equivalent exchange and you should enjoy them if you want to rather than the orange?

Nationalparker Wow, did you ever have a productive day! Yes, we are really enjoying the plant based meals. I print them off and then make notes on them to let me know if they are really good, increase the spice or whatever. I think I've gotten it down to using about 5 recipes a week and filling in with Buddha bowls that we like and use up leftovers or whatever.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:01 PM   #36  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Brief check-in. We had a good day with DGS (4.5); time with him fills my heart so much. DH has always been the one to put him to sleep, because he likes the snuggle time with him, and typically I handle everything else when he's here. It's a bit of a break for me, and close time for him. Food was in control, snack was grapes while we played with magnetic sand. His mom will pick him up late morning. Storms moving in tonight.

Plans tomorrow are to return to his folks' house for the afternoon and tackle what we can. I'm concerned as DH has had a headache for a week now. It goes away at night but returns mid-morning. Hopefully he'll pop into a quick clinic and not wait for his dr. appt. I thought he was going to the clinic yesterday, but he did not. At least get bp checked (I looked up just getting a BP wrist cuff, but are they accurate? I know the forehead thermometer was wildly off, as in 5+degrees). But it's not migrane painful, nor as painful as the covid headache he had. I'm hoping it's allergies but it's not where allergy headaches typically are, so possibly tension headache?? He is under a lot of stress, I will say that.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:10 AM   #37  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday-Sculptor, painter, architect Michelangelo born (Caprese Michelangelo, Italy)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a (90% beef) hamburger on a brioche hamburger bun ("French recipe") with Cole slaw from Whole Foods. It's a mechanical challenge since we have thick slices of grilled onions, tomatoes, and lettuce to add to the bun. DW rather rudely pointed out that we got 3 teaspoons of sugar from the Cole slaw, "Would've been bitter without it." She is continuing to chase her goal of 6 added teaspoons of sugar a day.

Amusement was working a 1000-piece puzzle on the dining room table. It was purchased as a possible gift for the DGD but she and her mom had discovered that 500 pieces is her max. Thus, we are, by some logic, required to do it - like finishing food on your kid's plate. It consists of 12 panes of pictures representing the scenes of a murder each with a clue written across the bottom; when completed, the clues allow one to solve the mystery. It's a remarkable waste of time, but DW doesn't want to have to do the whole thing alone. We do puzzles well together. I gathered pieces with text and started making sequences. When I had one, I'd suggest a possible location and she'd put it in. Feels like the kind of thing to do in the grand fire-placed room of a ski lodge when a blizzard roars outside.

onebyone - Waving. Thought you needed to be told that the city of Toronto was incorporated today in 1834.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a knee healing itself. The knee brace is just the best invention ever.

maryann - Now this is a war I can believe in, "I declare war on manufactured food." Show no mercy. Take no prisoners.

nationalparker Sleepover with your DGS sounds super special. Wish your DH good luck with his headache. I use a home grade automatic Omron upper-arm blood pressure monitor. It's proven over time to give results close to my doctors' cuff, bulb, and stethoscope. My dental hygienist pops on a wrist blood pressure monitor that is acceptably close enough to know that there isn't a blood pressure issue. I'm only monitoring for a major jump that would suggest a change that requires me to see a doctor.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for being a good friend to take an old buddy for an MRI. My evening snack switch was entirely my own doing: to reduce water intake after dinner as suggested by my PCP, I skipped the orange but had a couple of tea cookies because my brain is used to an evening snack. The goal is to sleep 7-8 hours without getting up even once. Alas, that ship might have sailed long ago.

curlyjax - Yay for a full house. And Double Yay that it's for a specific period of time; your peace will return.

Ann (AnnC123) - Ouch for the lost post - BTDT. Yep, I Copy/Paste into a MS Word file before hitting Submit - been crashed into oblivion too many times. LOL at "withdrawal" from abruptly stopping my evening orange.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Dinner Guidelines

Use this advice as you transition to Think Thin Dinner Options: . . .
  • You will pair your main course with soup or a salad; a side vegetable; and a fruit or whole grain/starch, or both. Use Add-On Calories or Bonus Calories for extra ingredients.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 118.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

My knee has been pain-free, so far, this morning. A little cramping above and below the knee and the other knee has some pain from overuse! I'm going to try these exercises today: Knee Pain Exercises: Beat Knee Pain Fast - Knee Pain Explained (knee-pain-explained.com) I'll call it strength-training because I'm not ready to go back to my usual yoga routines for that.

Exercise +35, 230/1500 minutes for March
Old 03-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I started off the day well, only eating one half of a bagel with cream cheese and deciding I didn't need the other half -which went straight into DS's mouth when I picked him up, because the food service was closed after lunch on friday, which he didn't know. I think that's a bit much considering he had classes until 5:00 on friday, but then no dinner is available. I guess he ate vending machine food, ugh. Anyhow-I got take out for dinner, had dessert and then went to my friend's house for tv and ate there too. Ugh. At least we did get some condo stuff done. Today is a new day.
I'm going to yoga today at 10:30, and then some cardio after, which is my new sunday routine. It's a challenge to plan food around, as I need to eat something so I am fueled as i'm working out until 12:30, but I don't want to eat too much and feel full. I went with half a turkey sandwich and half a banana just now so i'll have a 90 minutes to digest. A friend from church is going to join me so that will be fun. She and her husband have been very careful but still got covid in January (although she has a college aged son, maybe he brought it home).
Gardenerjoy-glad the knee is doing better and you have more reading time too.
Maryann- that is so interesting about the hypothalamus etc and taking 3 weeks to grow new taste buds. Great idea of how to incorporate slowing down/thinking into your job.
Karen- thanks for the recipe, I messaged you back. Great job on the new low, woo hoo!!
Nationalparker-glad you had a nice time with DGD. Maybe it is a stress headache? the fact that it goes away at night so he can sleep is good anyhow.
Bill-wow, 6 grams of sugar is so little, that is a challenge! good for you for helping with the puzzle even though its a waste of time, lol.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #40  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default checking in then heading off

Coaches

Looking out my living room window it seens as though Spring has arrived. The weatherman tells me not to believe what I see. Temps today will soar to 16C then just as fast drop to the freezing point, and maybe below. Right now? They're on the rise. One day they will rise and stay up there above zero. But not yet. Oh yeah, accompanying the rise in temps are rushing winds brining about a wind warning-up to 100km/h gusts at times. 100km/h is the max you can drive on a freeway here. Yikes!

Today I am teaching class #6 of 8 for my beginning handbuilding students. Ive been worried all week whether their projects will be workable, as in not too dried out, for today's class. I checked them yesterday during my other class #6 of 8 for beginning handbuilding students and they were ok. That was a huge relief. My students have made a lot of stuff. Their glazing and decorating will be a time challege for them to get stuff done.

Weightwise. ugh. terrible weigh-in today. No surprise there though. I've been extremely inconsistent. I relate a lot to what Maryann wrote about concerning making the decision to not have foods x and y and then thats all my brain steers me toward is x and y and lots of it, I was happy to read that it takes 3 weeks to extinguish that flame of burning desire. I'm ready to take up the challenge again. Must be the sunshine and +16C temps giving me a push forward toward better choices.

Gotta go.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #41  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Good morning!

Still plugging away in non- weightloss eating. I managed to give myself Achilles tendonitis in an ankle just doing whatever during my work day. I'm trying to figure out how to see all of my patients today and later this week without calling in sick.

Ibuprofen is on board and I'm going to snip off a bit of tubigrip at work for compression. Doing RICE, like Joy. (:

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 03-06-2022, 12:22 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was win. I avoided the bliss point. I could feel the tiger in me pacing around trying to get a fix but I avoided complusion and did several fun ( for me) putterings and then binged watched the first season of The Morning Show with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon. I had received a free subscription for a week of appletv. I also finished laundry and continued to use up everything in my freezer. All heathy food for yesterday's food. I had cocoa nibs hanging around as a "try" for about six months. I added them to the groats in my instapot along with persimmons I dried last fall. When done, I add some leftover chocolate balsamic and the Kodiak maple/syrup peanut butter (which was not very tasty on pancakes) I also added my coconut squares and walnuts. That will be my chocolat breakfast for ten days. Frugal and fit success. Today I am out of milk so I will make the plant and oat milk I made last week. I will use it in DH pancakes. Avoiding the white rice bliss point, I make with white rice, salt, and Brumble and Brown yoghurt spread, I added half brown rice. It worked yesterday and I didn't overeat it yesterday.

I have decided my goal weight will be 165. I have 20 years of weight data points in MFP. Knowing that in 1998 a BMI of 27 was consider normal weight, 165 will be under that and is obviously a set point for me. I have size 8-10 pants that I wear, I am healthy, attractive and active. My heart, blood pressure and cholesterol are that of a 20 year old. To maintain 165, I will still have to do all the things I do now, but I will no longer feel a failure for not reaching some mythical number.

I will take a walk today.

Here's to the good fight. Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 03-06-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:02 PM   #43  
Believe

S/C/G: 255/230/200

Good morning Everyone. - Yikes is all I have to say. I woke up early this morning and was going to post here. Then I saw a tiny house. I have been on my computer all this time. Just looking at different things. I think it works best if I post and only do what I said I would, banking and things that need to be done on the computer. I haven't even gone walking. It was freezing rain when I woke up so I did have to wait but I could have gone walking about 2 hours ago. Oh my goodness, I learn so much about myself. I did have an extra long walk yesterday but that is no excuse to spend the morning on the computer.

BillBlueEyes - We too inherit puzzles that are too many pieces for older DGD. She will get them back once she is ready. We like doing puzzles. It is a nice way to relax.

Onebyone - Wishing you warm temperatures and sunny days. The sun makes everything seem okay. Have a wonderful day.

gardenerjoy - Yay for a pain-free knee this morning.

maryann - That book 'Health at Any Size' makes so much sense to me. Thanks again for suggesting it. Enjoy your walk.

nationalparker – It is wonderful you got to have a weekend with your DGS . I find DGDs fill my heart too. They sure bring joy to our lives. Could your husband's headache be a stress headache? My son used to get migraines and then he started going for massages and after about 6 months of no headaches he stopped going. The migraines didn't return. Thanks for the link to the Cabins.

Karen - That is great that you have booked part of your summer plans. Banff is beautiful. My son skied at Sunshine so we spent our weekends there. My husband liked to hike and mountain climb.

curlyjax - How nice to have both kids home. How was yoga?

Penny - Sending support thoughts and I hope your ankle is better soon.

I am off to walk. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by AnnC123; 03-06-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:07 PM   #44  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

Food has been on plan. I hiked this morning with a friend who is new to hiking. She really loved it but is only here a few months a year at most. We had lunch out at a really healthy restaurant on the way home and it was delicious. When we got home I got a call from my coworker who was very anxious and and suffering some side effects from the prednisone she is taking for her back injury. She is from NY and has some PTSD from 9/11 and being widowed young when her husband suffered a heart attack in bed at night and died at 49. Her daughters don't live here and the isolation from Covid has been very rough on her. Anyway, I drove out and spent a few hours and she was better by the time I came home.

Dinner was polenta nachos with chili mango kale salad. We both liked it but did look at each other and say where is the cheese and sour cream.

I'm pooped out so I'll get to personals tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:20 PM   #45  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another long day; just back home a half hour ago from in-laws, clearing out. Stepdaughter was coming to pick up DGS between 11-11:30 a.m. and I confirmed that when she called last night. Then DH and I were going to the quick clinic for his headaches just to make SURE and have his BP checked, etc. At noon, his daughter calls, are we close. What? She said we were bringing him home. I got MAD - it's always a manipulation game. She most likely slept in late and then tried to pawn it off. I was talking in the background when DH was talking to her, which is a terrible annoying habit I have when I'm hot under the collar. We had WANTED to bring him home because that'd take us 40 minutes closer to the inlaws ... but she wanted us to get him and then she'd pick him up. Her husband was just getting off work, so he came by to get him, a half hour out of his way. DH showed him the text where she confirmed she'd be getting him, etc. DGS did take a hard fall with us, and I told her last night as his chin took a beating and was already bruised last night. She called tonight to see what happened to him. I asked DH if he thought she was ok, because that's two things within a day that were off. We'll keep our eye on it.

DH's headaches are tension headaches as we thought, but good to not be worrying about infection or anything worse. Dr. said to start the day with Aleve for awhile... don't wait to take it after he has a headache. I gave him a covid test this morning just to make sure, for what that's worth.

I'm beat but waiting for him to get in the shower and for it to reset so I can run a long hot bath and relax. I did NOT do well on food today. As a "reward" to ourselves, we ended up getting orders of french fries to eat on the way home for dinner. I also ate a big apple I brought. Hopefully the first and last time we do that. We are just burned out already and there are months to go. If we pay someone to do it, there will be no money to pay until the house is sold, and the house isn't worth much, so not sure the bills would get paid. His brother is done working there now. I'll go more often and chug through. No estate sale was the decision, as there is just no valuable items, and everything else would need to be deep cleaned, not just dusted. Mental illness takes on so many forms and they both suffered from this. Thank you for letting me vent here. I need to journal in the morning (or tonight) and get frustrations out.

A friend's sister died last week from complications following surgery. Her funeral is Thursday and I'll pick up another older friend who doesn't love driving and we'll go together.

I, too, am pooped, so personals tomorrow from me as well.
Closed Thread