Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 06:15 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Louisiana-Missouri Territory forms (1805)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Picked up the (6 yo) DGD after kindergarten. She played on the school's outdoor climbing structure for a solid hour with the boy that's in love with her. They get along fabulously. Never tire of grabbing chunks of icy snow to cover the slides before then sliding down them. Totally soaked bottoms. They just didn't care. All done bare handed - no hats, gloves, or scarves - while DW and I stood there trying to stay warm. She read several books to us after we got to her home. Each week her reading confidence grows. When she encounters a word she doesn't know, she wants to be told NOW. RIGHT NOW - not with that stepping into the work one syllable at a time. Might have some patience issues, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Spent much time reading the notes from my dermatologist visit. Spun around by the first sentence, "BillBlueEyes is a delightful XX Years old Male here for FBSE." No problem to google that FBSE is Full-body skin examination. Then pondered the word "delightful" wondering what word they used after examining a grumpy old man. Decided that they must use code words since they must not write "curmudgeon," also probably don't write "whiny" or "slow-thinking" or "somewhat unpleasant." Having decided that it's a code word, I pondered where on the scale of patients the word 'delightful' falls. They were deeply interested that I'd spent my youth getting sunburned and blistered - no self-respecting kids of my generation used sun-tan lotion.

Then learned at dinner that DW's dermatologist told her that the marks on her skin were 'barnacles.' Led to dinner discussion of their reproductive cycle. Turns out that all the barnacles we see are female. In one species, the males are small spots that attach themselves to the females for life. True monogamy. No Ethical Non-monogamy among the crustaceans following the whales up and down the coast of California. They are crustaceans - their anatomy is closer to shrimp than mollusks. In one dinner conversation I grew an appreciation why Darwin spent years studying barnacles which I'd previously thought to be boring.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good luck with that knee. Glad that your walk with your DN worked.

maryann - Kudos for soaping cookies trying to creep into your life. Ouch for that info that flight prices are soaring.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats on those 15.6 pounds down since your birthday. Love the thought of seeing some Sequoia trees.

curlyjax - Kudos for soaping the chocolate. Love that you're doing belly dancing - must be awesome exercise.

Penny. - Neat to tradeoff cooking responsibilities to get some time out of the kitchen.

Ann (AnnC123) - Super Kudos for working on your Gratitude. Thanks for the reminder, "starting to stop and smell the roses."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Your Think Thin Dinner Options

But if you are an accomplished cook or dedicated foodie, you can bring more complicated and lavish meals back into your life in Stage 4, which contains a set of gourmet recipes, along with advice for altering your personal recipes. For now however, I encourage you to enjoy the simplicity of the Stage 2 dinner options.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 118.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Good day at work but I still got into the candy; partially out of wanting something in my mouth that wasn’t super filling. I have some mints in the car and will bring them into my desk. I have got to get my resistance muscles working again. I didn’t track food precisely but I think I did okay and delayed eating supper until I was really hungry. I’m debating whether I should go to the gym today or not- it does involve timing my eating and i haven’t figured out lunch etc yet.
I had a quick chat with my aunt who is still in assisted living- the plan is home ultimately with help- she sounds very happy as she has a new friend she watches tv with after dinner. He happens to be male and about 9 years younger than her. She didn’t remember his name but says he’s funny. So that is really great.
Bill- that is so interesting about the barnacles! It is amazing the energy little kids have.
Gardenerjoy- sorry about the knee; hopefully it will mend quickly.
Karen-ooh that lo mein sounds wonderful. Glad you are enjoying nice weather.
Ann- hard indeed to balance relaxing and focusing.
Wave to Penny and Maryann. Happy thursday!
Old 03-03-2022, 08:31 AM   #18  
Believe

S/C/G: 255/230/200

Height: 5'3"

Good morning Coaches,
It is Thankful Thursday and I am very thankful. It is sunny out. I am still keeping track of exercise, writing in my gratitude journal, and writing down what I am eating. We watched Sing 2. The DGDs and their friend just loved it. I think they enjoyed eating popcorn more. I have no plans for the day other than going for my walk and dreaming about when I can travel again. I am just nervous right now. I have to remember this too shall pass. Maybe I will look at booking a cabin first. Baby steps. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

BillBlueEyes -. During this time I am sure that medical people see all kinds of nastiness. It may be very refreshing for them to interact with someone like you. I also think you are delightful. It must be so much fun being with DGD at the playground. My DGD's mother thinks it is too dangerous to go to the park right now. If DGD hadn't asked her mom, I would have taken her there but with mom against it, I won't.

Curlyjax - How fun that your aunt has a younger male friend to watch tv with. That is great she seems happy. Yay for a good day at work. At work could you imagine someone sneezed on all the candy and if it is wrapped they unwrapped it first and resealed it. Just so it appears gross and you won't want to eat it.

Gardenjoy - Wishing you a speedy recovery for your knee.

Maryann - You are a quick reader. I am enjoying the book. I am grateful you suggested it.

Karen - Oh how I long for nice weather. It snowed here again. It looks very pretty.

Penny - How is reading going with your daughter? How is work going for you?

Nationalparker - How was your day? Thinking of you and all the work you are doing at MIL and FIL's place. Sending supportive thoughts to you.

Onebyone - Hello, how is it going?

Old 03-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

I'm feeling grateful that I have my food plan chugging along again after a couple of days of some floundering. A weird advantage to the "Rest" part of RICE is that I can't really justify going downstairs for an unplanned snack,

I'm getting better at not hurting the knee, which makes it a little hard to tell if the knee is getting better. It still definitely has some bad moments and it's still fine most of the time. I'll continue with RICE today and see how it goes.

I did chair dancing yesterday. It freaked DH out that I was doing even no-impact movements with my legs, so today I'll stick to arm exercises. YouTube has videos for cardio, strengthening, and stretching -- all seated and only arms. The plan is one ten-minute video of each as a three separate breaks from elevating which feels to my body like the same thing as "too much sitting."

Exercise +30, 115/1500 minutes for March

Old 03-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #20  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! We had two glorious days of 60-degree temps and then when I zipped out of the house this morning, the spitting snow reminded me it's truly March. Made progress with some estate banking and found a bank branch fairly close to us, so that is good to know. I was close to TJMaxx and popped there after an Amazon return at Kohls and finally bought drawer organizers for my utensil drawer. Cleared out items I no longer use (meat pounder, my mom's antique bakelite handled meat fork) and other items I never used, but received as gifts. OUT. Even small progress feels like I'm in control of something.

I'd set my weigh in day as Friday, but the past few days the scale been the same and would mean I'm down another pound, so we'll see what tomorrow shows. More importantly, though, is increased veggies. Will do roasted carrots tonight with the leftover shepherd's pie. I was planning something else but want to ensure this is eaten before we add more leftovers to the Frigidaire offerings.

My venture with Decluttr app to scan dvds, create an order to sell back, ship (free) and get the money worked brilliantly. Very happy. $400 to the estate account. I'm prepping a few more orders now but these will be less value, more with the intention to move these along and culling the boxes of them. At this point, i'm saving the titles that are familiar - kids movies, etc., in case DH's brother is going to try to sell for $1/each. BUT really, most want digital.

Cat vet appt went OK but checkout price was close to $500 including bloodwork. I am seriously considering pet insurance for a young cat. Have any of you held pet insurance? I balance the monthly cost vs. saving that amount to have in hand for the big bills, but the prices just keep increasing along with everything else. I guess the insurance would, as well.

Quick note, Bill - with the second graders that we work with on their reading skills (they are at 1st grade level), when they don't know a word, we have them be word detectives and try to guess the word's meaning from context clues, pictures if there are any in the book, etc. They read the sentence with a blank for that word and some love that. Others are not having it and want to know it like your DGD. Funny to see all the various learning styles.

It seems absurd to worry about my weight, selling dvds, organizing drawers, with the tragedy that continues to unfold. Maybe everything is combining to add to the sense of loss of control.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches

Credit for small effective intentions:
1. oil change in car. Instead of using shuttle to pick it up, I walk 30 mins from school.
2. Threw out cookies I had a problem with yesterday. ( there was another pack.
3. Instead of manufactured candy in the classroom, I chose some coconut squares that were whole earthish.
4. Instead of a beloved cheese tortilla when I came home, I ate groat bowl.
5. Food journal

So really trying to to get away from manufactured food. That is my next biggie. Tonite I will have a small smoothie for dinner.
I joined Hilton Amex card. For $95 I get four free nights. That seemed really worth it. I usually avoid adding any credit cards but that is a deal I will really use especially since I can get my free night at the Waldorf Astoria or in Bora Bora. Now I need to start planning

OK. I have a Zoom. Hopefully, personals soon.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #22  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

I almost forgot to post. I did my good old Bell Pass hike today that takes close to 3 hours and is a good amount of elevation gain. I listened to a couple of good podcasts and then started listening to Brene Brown's book. I felt great and then came home and walked Otis. It was 75 by the time I walked Otis and I think it got to the upper 80's. We're dropping back into the high 60's for the next 4 days and I'm glad of that. I finished my sewing project on dh's jacket before lunch and he's delighted with it. I also found some Tessamae's Habanero Ranch dressing that he loves and purchased several bottles. It's high calorie, but he's now down another pound or two so he obviously can take a few more calories.

Dh went to the orthopedic surgeon this afternoon. His second hip replacement which was about 10 years ago has never been as good as the first one. Anyway, he has a pseudo tumor and needs to have the ball of the hip replaced, so hopefully he can get that done in the next month or so. He's in great shape, so now's the time to do it.

I'm not hiking tomorrow, so I'll do personals then.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:47 PM   #23  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default late but checking jn

Coaches

I didn't want another day to go by without checking in. First, thanks for all the msg asking about my arm. When I told that story I forgot the part about how Inhad had a little slip on hidden driveway ice. Yeah completely forgot. So the ouch came.from that. It's still sore but better and still weaker than the other but better. That's good enough for me for now.

Today I cleared so much stuff out of the fridge that the fridge that wasn't working right seems to have self.corrected. Can that be? The freezer is starting to freeze things. It's pretty empty right now. And the fridge was at 4C down from 8C or 10C which is too warm. I'm slightly optimiatic we won't need to do anything tonsove the fridge issue. Cleaning remains on the agenda.

Lots of classes going on. More.coming. It's all good.

Food though? No, not good but weight is at least stable.and no longer climbing though I have settled 20lbs higher than my last set point. No matter. We start where we are.

Goodnight!
Old 03-04-2022, 06:08 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Frances Perkins is 1st woman in the Cabinet as secretary of labor (1933)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner from trays on our separate offices attending separate Zoom presentations. Perhaps we'll start chatting by Zoom since we're already on. The city is pondering making a street near me one-way. It'd be a bear for us; traffic can get jammed and the hurt spreads out. The one-way street is an artifact of making more bike lanes on another street by eliminating most of the parking spaces needed to support local businesses. Ouch all around. I listened to a two-hour meeting with random citizens making random comments. One guy added, quite off the wall, "If you really want to save lives, work the drug problem where 70 people a year die of overdose." "Thank you for your comment," the admin said with her same, non-evaluative tone of voice, as she called the next speaker.

Excitement was the arrival of a pair of CR2025 batteries - one needed for my Casio watch. They're pretty inexpensive when buying a pack of ten. Some guy in Florida listed on Amazon to sell two; he bought the larger pack, snipped off two, and put them in a first-class business envelope with a full shipping label stuck on. Amazing little niche of a business for a razor-thin profit. Capitalism never ceases to amaze me with both its joyous and ugly moments.

onebyone - Good to hear that the arm is getting better. My fridge/freezer works poorly when we push stuff to the back blocking the column of cold air that has to flow to make it all work. So, in our case, reducing a too-full fridge would, indeed, magically make it all work again.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Had to remind myself that RICE is Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Hope it all is feeling better by now.

maryann - Appreciate your use of "manufactured food" to remind me that that's what it is. Four free nights at the Hilton is quite a bargain.

nationalparker Congrats for getting rid of stuff from your utility drawer - each small item is a step forward. Congrats for using that Decluttr app to get rid of the DVD's and add $400 to the estate.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for finishing your sewing project on your DH's jacket. I wish him well with his hip replacement journey.

curlyjax - Love hearing that you aunt has found a companion to watch TV with. One of my fears in life is finding myself in an old-folks home without making new friends.

Ann (AnnC123) - LOL that your DGD's loved eating popcorn more than the movie. Do hope your DGD's mother relents on letting them go to the park with you as spring arrives.

Readers -
Quote:

Your Think Thin Dinner Options

Your Think Thin Dinner Options are all rich in protein and fiber to help fill you up on fewer calories.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did not get into the candy at work yesterday, yay. I did have a few peppermints when I felt that pull, the altoid kind. They have very little sugar and don't set off a craving for more. I spent a chunk of time listening to my colleague who is having a tough time at home. I feel very bad for her. She is also very sensitive and I feel like I have to be really careful around that. I love my job but i'm exhausted when I leave work sometimes, dancing around all the interactions. I went to the gym and did 40 minutes of cardio, which I may do again today depending on my energy level. I called an old boyfriend and vented a bit to him, and he shared some stuff with me. Sometimes as an introvert I have to think carefully about whether I want to spend more energy talking at the end of the day, but it was worth it to call him (we have kept in touch and chat frequently but I am not looking to rekindle that flame!). Eating was pretty good i think overall.
Bill- I can just imagine the comments on that town meeting My dad has adjusted well to having friends in his independent living place- you're at an advantage by being male
Ann- that's a good way to think about the candy. It is wrapped, but some of it is so old it sticks to the plastic and then the plastic stuck to my teeth, so that was a deterrant! Glad you had a nice time with DGDs.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #26  
Believe

S/C/G: 255/230/200

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Coaches -
Yesterday was a great day. I posted here and did not watch the news or look at anything on the computer. For now it is only for this site and banking and things that I need to do. I wrote down everything I ate, my walking, and my gratitude. It is great to go walking first thing because it makes it seem like I have a routine. It is cold again today so lucky me, I will walk faster than other days. A friend wanted to start walking but her husband told her she won't be able to keep up. I explained, I will walk to her comfort level. She walks so I am sure it will be fine. I have many things to be grateful for.

BillBlueEyes - The drug problem is awful everywhere. It is very sad. Hopefully by the person mentioning that, it will cause others on the Zoom call to think about it and maybe even do something about it. When I was growing up I wanted to save the world and have everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya. I realized that people have different causes and concerns. If we all help out where we are concerned we can make a big difference in this world.

Onebyone - It is nice to see you posting. I had the same problem with my fridge, I called a repairman and he opened the fridge and said your fridge and freezer is too full. I thought he was wrong. I emptied my fridge and stopped filling my freezer like I was playing tetris and it worked. Yay for classes. Imagine all the lives you are touching.

Curlyjax - You are a very kind person to listen to your workmate. As an introvert it could be very draining. Kudos for 40 minutes of cardio after work. Great solution to have mints rather than the candies.at work.

Karen - Three hours hiking would make me want to nap. You Rock! Tessamae's Habanero Ranch dressing sounds like something my husband would enjoy.

Maryann - Yay for walking to pick up your car instead of using the shuttle. Great idea to get away from manufactured food.

Nationalparker - Thanks for the idea of increasing vegetables, instead of taking stuff out of my eating I could add veggies, win-win, That is great you are down another pound.

Gardenjoy - Kudos for finding a way to still exercise. Chair dancing sounds fun.

Waving to Penny.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:05 AM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's arm workouts worked well, but I can't repeat that today -- I would risk aggravating my old volleyball injury. I think I'll take the opportunity to do a long relaxing seated/supine yoga workout. I complain that I don't do those often enough, so I might as well take advantage of this chance.

I ordered a knee brace that will come today. I think that will increase my confidence and functionality and healing.

Exercise +30, 145/1500 minutes for March
Old 03-04-2022, 05:23 PM   #28  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan although I ate lunch darn early. I left the house at about noon to see the animated shorts and there were a couple of really weird ones. We always leave music on for Otis when we leave and I am hearing that dh put the Christmas music on. I got some housework done this morning, took Otis for a walk and did some exercises.

GardenerJoy You're doing a good job of getting your exercise and still protecting your knee. Good for you.

Ann It sounds like you're figuring out the right combination of things that work for you.

Curlyjax Keep it up with no candy at work, your resistance muscle will grow. Good job on the exercise too.

Bill Sounds like an interesting meeting. You and dw have so many meetings!

Onebyone Who knew about the fridge, I sure didn't. Maybe you and I are the only ones. Good that you remembered why your arm is hurting. I hope it's almost healed.

Maryann We pretty much don't eat any processed food, but I will admit it's easier having more time. We never did have much, but with our new eating plan I'm being darned careful.

Nationalparker Great job on getting rid of the DVDs. That's quite a bit of money. I roast a big pan of veggies at least once a week, probably twice. For my lunch I've used a little of the vegan "cheese" sauce on them and love it. I find it is true that I am now hungry for the kind of things I've been eating and I love lots of veggies. All I can say is I hope it lasts.

Waving to Penny!

Old 03-04-2022, 09:56 PM   #29  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A good day of getting things done today. After research, finally secured appts as new patients for DH and myself, and keeping fingers crossed we like this NP. Scheduled a meeting with our Fidelity rep as well. Funeral plans were set for a friend's family member, and made arrangements to pick up an older friend, so we can ride together next week. Finalized several more shipments to Decluttr, went to the library and picked up three new vegan cookbooks to peruse and did a mini marketing trip to the store nearby. Dinner was bruschetta as appetizer and then a bit of a new fusilli and Gardein "meat" balls. Plenty for leftovers.

I'd love to finish up my current book this evening (The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman ... thank you, Maryann!), looking forward to a solid chunk of time to read, starting in a hot bath soon, hopefully We will go get our DGS (4.5) tomorrow early afternoon to be returned home Sunday. Our temps are going to soar, so we'll walk over to the playground at the elementary school near us for some run around time. He doesn't get much outside time at home.

OneByOne - Now you have me making a note to reorganize my freezer! Thanks for the heads-up. Good to see you! i hope your arm continues to heal. Falling on ice would NEVER have slipped my mind. I am so worried about it as I've taken a few bad falls.

Ann - We stayed at a Getaway House in the U.S. and they're very similar to these: https://www.cabinscape.com/ and a PERFECT few days away in the autumn for us. I wish these were near you! There were good deals on ours and coupon codes for further discount. We loved our stay.

Bill - Credit to you for your patience to sit through many public comments on the Zoom call, too!

Karen - It sounds like you are truly enjoying your plant-based meal plans! I think of all of the new recipes I've tried, there were only a few stinkers, and only one that was not save-able. LOL at the Christmas music for Otis. He probably is fine with that, unless it's the cats' meowing to the Jingle Bells tune.

Joy - Continued wishes for your knee improvement! I hope you're enjoying some relaxing time with a good book, as well as your exercises.

CurlyJax - It would be so, so hard to have the temptation of candy at hand at work. Credit for coming up with a way to avoid diving in. It sounds like you do a great job keeping up with friends. It truly is a lot of work.

Maryann - Great tip on the Hilton AmEx ... We aren't looking to add a new card, but wow that's a great deal. I'm going to float it by DH. Credit for bypassing the cheese tortilla with a smart replacement.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:47 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Winston Churchill's speech popularizes "Iron Curtain" (1946, Fulton, Mo)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had my second visit with my new Primary Care Physician (PCP). Feel like I've fallen into the go-to-doctors mode. I've had more doctors' visits in the past year than I've had in the decade before. To be fair, I'm male, and just don't think of doctors as a normal part of life. Used to brag that I never went. The sobering reminder of my age is that most conversations centered around living with whatever symptom was discussed - not fixing it. "If getting up to pee bothers you, then dehydrate a bit before bed by no liquids after dinner. If it doesn't bother you because you readily go back to sleep, then mush on as is." I suppose that I need to adjust my attitude.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. In accordance with the advice of my PCP, my evening snack wasn't a delicious California Cara Cara Orange, but two small tea cookies with little sugar (that triggers me to want more). It made a difference. Now, I can make the tradeoff knowing the cost.

Gift today is three words new to me, even though you educated folk probably already know them:
Ultracrepidarianism - When an expert mistakenly believed he/she is an expert on something unrelated as well.
Accompaniment - What you can add to dinner in Dr. Beck's Think Thin diet.
Arboreta - Plural of arboretum. Just never saw it until the recent article in Arnoldia, the magazine of Arnold Arboretum titled, "A Time for Trees, A Time for Arboreta." Obvious what it means - just new to see it in print.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for continuing to work with your body as is. Wish you'd write a book to bring people like me into that way of thinking.

maryann - Waving. It's hard to believe that Tahoe continues to the news way out here. Reported that a "semi-sized boulder fell on Highway 50 near Echo Summit." Hope you weren't impacted.

nationalparker You're seriously busy - hope you're finding a little me-time to decompress. Continued Congrats for your Decluttr sales.

Karen (karenrn) - Do hope that Otis isn't confused by music inappropriate to the season. Assume your DH played Handel's Messiah for him as "Christmas music."

curlyjax - You are kind to spend time listening to your friend. Kudos for "Eating was pretty good I think overall."

Ann (AnnC123) - It's gracious of you to be willing to walk to your friend's comfort level. Thanks for the memory lane, "wanted to save the world and have everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya."

Readers -
Quote:

Dinner Guidelines

Use this advice as you transition to Think Thin Dinner Options:
  • You can add one condiment or accompaniment to dinner, if you haven't used one for a different meal.
Closed Thread