Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #166  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I added diced chicken to my rice last night and that worked. I'm going to try also adding diced roasted carrot for lunch to see if I can add one more food. If we're still doing well by evening, we'll have a Sunbasket box to use. I'm glad that I only ordered two meals, this week.

For my closet project, I was going to just sort tops, but I didn't feel good for much else, yesterday, so I kept going. I've now sorted bottoms, socks, and underwear. Now, I'm starting accessories. First, scarves. I love scarves. But I also found several that I no longer wear or love.

Exercise +35, 1000/1500 minutes for March

Penny: If you ever want to try chard from seeds, they are a cool shape and large enough that they don't wash away.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #167  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good afternoon!

I'm still on plan. Thank goodness!

My mystery menstrual woes reared its ugly head again and I woke up at 1am with a severe unrelenting contraction. I was in labor all night, with all the peaks and none of the valleys, and felt like I was going to birth a baby on the loo. A google search and some borrowed pain meds from the kids' dental procedure leftovers kept me out of the ER.

Dr Google thinks it is adenomyosis or some kind of endometriosis. I have an appointment made with the gyn and suspect a hysterectomy is in my future, hopefully before my next period. I can't take this pain or calling in sick to work once a month.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:45 PM   #168  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan and weight is stable very near my low. I am wanting to see if I can watch portion sizes a bit and get a few more pounds off. I might check back in with the nutritionist. I think I have about two more appointments paid for but I haven't contacted her since before Thailand. My niece and I hiked this morning to the top of Sunrise and then I took her to the airport early this afternoon. It was fun having her visit especially because she loves to hike and doesn't have a problem going every day.

Penny That sounds miserable. I hope you can get taken care of soon. How long do you have to wait for your appointment?

GardenerJoy I guess I'll have to look at Marie Kondo again with you all being excited about it. It's been awhile. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Curlyjax The salmon dinner sounds good and always nice to have leftovers. Girl, you need more sleep! I'm tired just thinking about being up until 11 pm and then getting up for work.

Bill Glad you made the appointment to be sure you have the appropriate beneficiaries listed. I'm surprised you can't just check online. Sounds like you had a very healthy day of eating. Lots of green.

Maryann Good job keeping your weight in the 60's. Nice that you and dh have the gym dates together.

Ann It sounds like you dgd's wore you out. Good thing you could get a good nights sleep. I'd like to report that I gave dh a little not quite silent treatment and he turned it around.

Nationalparker It sounds so fun to have a dgs and I'm sure he is crazy about you. You guys are working so hard on that house. Now that I don't have company I will use it as motivation to be sure I don't leave any extra around here for people to deal with in the future. I feel so good that I think I'll live many years, but who knows.

Waving to OnebyOne.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:52 AM   #169  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - George Frideric Handel's "Messiah" premieres (1743, Royal Opera House)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Zoom meeting with the retirement money guy went much better than I had expected. MUCH better. "Well, yes," I answered him, "I do have other questions." And he proceeded to send me the information for several other issues that were on my mind. Like funding college for the DGD starting in just twelve years. Good GRIEF! In just twelve years she'll be leaving for college. And, yes, my lawyer was right. The long, expensive, "Durable Power of Attorney" forms that our lawyer had generated for me will not be accepted by their firm; we have to use their form, which he emailed me. Since my lawyer had predicted this, I wonder why they even bothered to produce them. We know the sad tale of a dutiful daughter who arrived at her mom's bank with her signed-years-ago Power of Attorney because now her mom had dementia only to have the bank tell her to use their form. But, the mom had dementia so a new signature on the bank's form wouldn't be legal. Had to do the whole court thing despite having paid to get the PoA from her lawyer years ago.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled scallops. Unusually for us, they were Bay Scallops - the little ones. Apparently, the not-purchased big Sea Scallops were $31 per pound at Whole Foods. Ouch! We have those only during the half-price sales. Don't know if DW has the cajones to ask "Two scallops, SVP."

Trip to the supermarket was normal. Stacks of Easter pastries and candies to be ignored as normal, CREDIT moi. Was very happy selecting two big Red Bell Peppers. The ones I've been getting have been super sweet and crisp. I'm so easily pleased.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Sounds like the two of you are recovering. Great. Kudos for clearing out clothes - from someone who hopes someday to be that kind of person.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for having a niece who likes to hike every single day. Neat that you have prepaid time with your nutritionist.

curlyjax - Yep, Kudos for ignoring the Easter candy. Your baked salmon dinner sounds terrific.

Penny. - Sending supportive thoughts as you seek a solution to your "mystery woes." You certainly deserve a better solution than having to skip work each month.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Snack Guidelines
Use this advice as you incorporate these snacks into your daily repertoire:. . .
  • If you find you are consistently hungry between meals, choose higher-protein snacks..
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 120.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:24 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Work was fun yesterday- I played a silly prank on someone, they did it to someone else etc. A bit of team bonding.The yoga was cancelled, and I was tired so I decided to stay home and get things done. Or sit on the sofa and watch 6 episodes of Unforgotten, which is what happened Sometimes its not so good to have the availability to binge watch series.
A late, corrected tax form arrived in the mail so I popped it over to the accountant. The form came with statements such as “there may be more of these corrections coming, we can’t help it etc” which is hugely annoying because I don’t want to pay to have my taxes amended if its something ridiculous like 5.00, but its all in the accountants hands at this point.
I decided to sleep in late and will stay later-its great to have the flexibility at my work
Bill- money stuff is so complicated! Good for you for attending to it now, it will be much simpler when you need it. Scallops are such a treat.
Karen- to be fair, I can sleep until 7 am, (although i get up a bit earlier so I can do things like read our site) so I should be getting enough sleep. It all depends on when I actually fall asleep, how interrupted my sleep is with hot flashes, etc. Sounds like you’ve had a very nice time with your niece, and I bet she will take care of you when you’re old
Penny- I’m so sorry you’re going thru this. Hopefully it is figured out very soon. Yay for op!
Gardenerjoy-great job keeping going with sorting clothes, that is very satisfying stuff.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #171  
Green Tomatoes

I successfully added cooked carrots, potatoes, and tempeh to my food list yesterday. Today's adventures will include cereal, low-fat dairy, more cooked vegetables, brown rice, and fish.

Unfortunately, DH isn't doing as well. The protein he's tried triggered tummy problems, but he hasn't tried chicken, yet. So, we'll try that today and see if that works for him.

I pared down to ten scarves and then used the Marie Kondo method of folding and then, rolling, them. Now all my scarves fit in one plastic shoe box instead of taking up nearly two feet of hanger rod space.

I sorted all my clothes and have temporarily rearranged my closet to experiment with what works best. Fun!

I got going on jewelry, last night. That's going more slowly. I have pieces that I haven't worn in years and others that are actually broken but have sentimental attachment. I find that I'm willing to let them go if take a photo and write a little story about my memory. That's great! But it does make it a slow process.

Exercise +35, 1035/1500 minutes for March

Penny: I hope you're feeling better soon and I'm glad you've got a gynecology appointment to get it all worked out.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #172  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, mostly laying in bed. I still have pain three days in, which is worse than prior events. Doctors appointment isn't until tomorrow.

Curly mentioned streaming a show and it reminded me to note I had to cancel Netflix after so many years with it. We had it back in the DVD days. They are cracking down on folks using VPNs to access content from other countries and in doing so have blocked our IP. We were able to fix it by changing our IP address but after a short while it was blocked again. Calls to Netflix support did nothing so we had to cancel it. They are losing innocent customers!

Just as well with the price going up.

Joy, I love a good purge and organization.

Bill, I'm sure it feels good to get all of that taken care of. We haven't done anything yet and it does add a bit of background stress. Lol at the "two scallops, SVP"

Old 03-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

I have been mistreating myself with punishing food choices these last two days. We have had a huge emotional event in our lives and I have been spiraling with food. My husbands "second father" has been arrested for a crime that was allegedly committed 25 years ago. The accusations are nearly inconceivable having known and loved this man for years. We are in shock. iIhave a headache and feel like i am moving through water.

First things first. Any extra activity is tabled. Exercise is good. Extra food is demoralizing. Sleep is helpful. Prayer and meditation is better than remorseful food choices. Being a mystery buff both in books and movies yet I have never experienced anything like this before. Plus I think I know all courses of actions but I know nothing but fiction. In addition, it is not our family's place to take charge even though this man is very vulnerable due to lack of language and education. We can give him encouragement and a safe sanctuary to live. The greater tragedy is he has spent four years battling stage 5 cancer. In these times I know two things : There is a God and I am not it. I trust in a higher power to see peace come from chaos but my heart breaks.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:23 PM   #174  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm moving through the days, just accepting that each day gets us closer to the goal of finishing with the house. Today was errands, catching up with a close friend on a video call (which means I don't clean or cook at the same time), talking with my brother followed by a financial call re DH's retirement and our funds which was reassuring, and now cooking dinner. Game night with my sister, so it's been a day of connecting that has been sorely needed. We rolled home at 8:30 last night and dinner was in the crock pot (white bean soup) and it was so good to just finish seasoning it and eat dinner.

Maryann - I wish you mental peace as you and your family walks this path - how absolutely hard. Like you, I think immediately of all of my knowledge from Dateline, 20/20, 48 Hours type programs but if it hit close to home, it'd be a whole different scene.

Penny - Sending positive vibes your way for a diagnosis for your extreme pain. Regarding an earlier comment, I know too well the stress of ordering at a counter For the same reason I will NEVER go to a bank's drive through line. I'm going to try to grow lettuce this spring, summer and fall... in container plantings. It's getting so expensive that adding some I can harvest will be helpful. I read ThePrudentHomemaker.com blog and many there grow food and ideas/tips are plentiful. I have taken many frugal living tips from her and her readers/commenters. Some things I read and thought, Hmmm... not for me. Then two years later, I'm doing it. haha...

Joy - It sounds like you're enjoying the Kondo book/method. I read it when it came out and immediately purged and folded my clothes the recommended way and have stuck with it. I love seeing all my pj options at one glance vs. two stacks that I had. DH is shocked that my drawers still look like that. Secretly, I am, as well. I didn't have the neatest drawers as a teen. Or younger adult.

Bill - Credits to you for tackling financial questions. I feel more confident with DH's impending retirement in a few weeks (or less) after talking with my rep. With the market the past four months or so, I started stressing.

CurlyJax - Kudos to you for engaging staff in a fun pasttime. I love pranks when innocent (no one is embarrassed) and at a previous job, a group of us were incorrigible, pranking each other on a regular basis. Good memories as no hurt feelings and we'd always try to top the previous one.

Karen - You have GOT to be the coolest aunt! I am trying to clear things out here, too ... I am a dish fiend and looked up a small set that I rarely use, but love. Found that it's selling on replacements.com for $70 for a 5-pc setting and I have four of them, so will see what they'll pay to buy it. You have to pay to ship it there, though, so I'll estimate that first. It would be nice to get a little bit of money for them, and maybe a few others. You send in what you have that is in perfect shape and they give you an offer for 30 days. I need time to examine each dish, too.

Ann - I hope you are enjoying a good day. It's stormy here, but a good mental catch-up day with the driving rain. Your granddaughters would be stomping in near-lake like puddles here!

Dinner is a bit of a treat tonight - Gardein italian s'sage in sauce on open faced ciabatta rolls with salad. The meat substitutes are what is the most expensive, I find. So I'm trying to limit those.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:15 PM   #175  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

It was windy here today and I had some catching up to do around the house so I took the day off from hiking. I did a Costco run and the regular grocery store, a couple of loads of laundry, caught up the bills/check book and went over to visit a friend and picked up some grapefruit from his tree. The other thing I did was overeat at lunch time and have an unplanned bowl of non dairy, but high calorie ice cream. Dinner will be a salad and a sweet potato, but dh is having leftovers.

Nationalparker It must be so exciting to have dh retiring so soon. I have some extra sets of dishes too, but thinking I don't really use them much, but I do have room for them so for now they stay.

Maryann I'm so sorry for the difficult situation and stress you are going through. It's a crazy world and things can be just fine one minute and then one never knows. Thank goodness we don't have to worry about being God. Take care of yourself the best you can.

Penny I hope the doctor can get something figured out very quickly so you don't have to go through this pain next month.

GardenerJoy I hope I can do as well as you have with the organizing. I did it once and my tee shirts were so nice in the drawer and stayed that way until they fit again and I started wearing them. Hopefully it will stick this time. The book is ready for me to pick up at the library.

Curlyjax I'm glad to hear you can actually get enough sleep. It's just that people used to brag about how little sleep they got and these days we hear how important it is for our health.

Bill That's great that your financial guy was able to answer all your questions, and that you had some ready for him.

Waving to Ann!
Old 03-24-2022, 05:54 AM   #176  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Manhattan, Kansas founded as New Boston, Kansas (1855)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (6 yo) DGD after kindergarten, CREDIT moi. Got to witness world-class social interaction as one girl managed to get our DGD aside to play a game on her computer. One-on-one, while a playground of kids ran about. Including the two boys who are interested in the DGD who kept running by tapping the laptop screen. Another girl, who a few weeks ago was on the inside track, was leading a group to hide behind the bushes. All this while dressed for the day in the outfit representing what they wanted to be when they grew up. This whole week the kids are to wear themed outfits until Friday, pajama day. This goes with all the grades up to fourth. Feel like I was cheated out of all the fun of school sitting at my little desk doing what I was told to do.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. I don't count the grapes that I eat (planned) on the ride home after dropping off the DGD. They are planned leftover snacks for her that she didn't eat. So I violate two Beck principles: eating a snack that isn't necessary, and finishing a kid's plate.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for reducing your scarves into one plastic box. You're really on a role. Re New Boston, Kansas: Even though I live in New England with towns named after English towns (Chelsea, MA; Cambridge, MA; New York), I'm still amazed at Western towns named after East Coast towns and states. If I recall correctly, you once referred being in Louisiana and it just didn't sound Southern.

maryann - Sending super hugs and support for the emotional shock you've just received - from 25 years ago. Thanks for "There is a God and I am not it." Hope you can find a safe path forward.

nationalparker – Congrats for making it through one more exhausting day. Good news that retirement is financially in order for your DH.

Karen (karenrn) - Just love reading, "picked up some grapefruit from his tree." Seems like magic from out here.

curlyjax - Congrats for pulling off team bonding pranks at work without crossing that line that makes them offensive.

Penny. - Continue to send supportive thoughts as you seek a solution to your pain. Hope your doctor, today, has some benign suggestions.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Snack Guidelines
Use this advice as you incorporate these snacks into your daily repertoire:. . .
  • Change your mindset about snacks. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to eat healthy snacks and limit "junk food" to no more than once a day.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 120.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:33 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I went to a vegan/vegetarian place for dinner last night with a group of folks; we all had belonged to a moms group that folded years ago. I didn’t know most of them but it was fun, and the food was great; fabulous leftovers of sweet potato kale etc quesadilla. I was thinking about manfriend on the way home because it was close to his place, so I decided to call to check in and we had a nice chat (I haven’t spoken to him since October). He did not mention his girlfriend (he is tactful like that) and at the end said “don’t be a stranger” so it was all good and I felt a sense of closure.
Bill-it is really interesting about the Western towns with East Coast names. Sounds like a very fun time watching DGD.
Karen- always good to have a catchup day. A lot of high schoolers definitely don’t get enough sleep due to homework, activities etc and they are the ones who need extra.
Maryann- I’m so sorry you’re going thru this, how stressful and sad. I’m sure its very helpful to the man that you’re providing sanctuary.
Nationalparker-you deserve a day off! Glad DH’s retirement is planned and you feel good about it. It’s interesting how some habits do continue, like folding clothes. I have never been neat either and even though the kids are gone a lot of the time, the house continues to be a mess, hmm
Gardenerjoy-hope DH is feeling better soon. Glad you’re enjoying your continuing clearing out.
Penny- hope you get a result and a plan today for dealing with your pain. That is bizarre about Netflix.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #178  
Green Tomatoes

My stomach handled all the new things that I gave it yesterday. I'll probably wait a couple of more days before I get back to raw vegetables, but I think I'm ready for normal eating. DH did well with the chicken, so I'm hoping that he's just a couple of days behind me. Although, he has chronic tummy issues so it's going to be a little hard to tell when he's all better and he's likely to be cautious for some time to come.

Now that I'm in the habit of small portion sizes, I'm going to try to keep it. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at a weight that I'd be happy to maintain. Or, at least, not gain all the way back to where I started the month which was about five pounds higher.

I finished my clothes clearing, yesterday, and celebrated by ordering some organizing solutions to fix some of my storage problems. Today's task is to get my discards out of the house to clear space for the next item on the agenda -- books.

Exercise +40, 1075/1500 minutes for March

maryann: What a horrible situation! Sending warm hugs. Good for you to work on figuring out what you can and can't do.

Penny: I hope you get some answers today.

BillBlueEyes: Louisiana, MO is the small town where I grew up named after the purchase of the Louisiana territory which was named after King Louis XIV. There's also a ghost town in Kansas named Louisiana.
One of my pandemic discoveries was a couple on YouTube who travel through England on a narrowboat. I kept being confused when they talked about Boston and, eventually, had to accept that Boston, MA was named after a town that I never heard of in Lincolnshire.
My association with Manhattan, KS is that my book group read a book about the black community there. Geraldine Baker Walton was born there and served as a reference librarian in Manhattan for decades. She compiled the family names and stories of her community. She happened to be the aunt of our book club's founder, so we read her book and she came to our meeting. Since we normally read books with a national scope, the narrow focus provided some depth that we didn't expect. That's the book where I learned about Prince Hall Freemasonry, which began in Boston.
Ha! That was a long thread of connecting and circling.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:06 PM   #179  

Good morning!

Still on plan. My pain is going away and my appointment got bumped to Monday, which is disappointing because it's loaded with work and my youngest's first day of school.

Maryann, what a horrible situation! Someone I know was recommended to play repetitive type games, like Tetris, during these moments to try and stave off PTSD. Something about interrupting the neural pathways to it. Idk.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I did exercise and went into the sauna and cold plunge. That kept me more in the moment but I have a terrible headache..

I was able to close the kitchen. I told DH that for right now I can’t hear about the developments in the case. I need to focus on helping with DH cancer appts, supporting DH through a drought with no water allotments and working through his grief of an empty nest. One more thing is too much and I am panicking. I am having a fairly violent physical reaction to everything and I don’t want to make the issues about me.

Today, we have a video Med appt about possible changing DH action plan with his cancer. I have school and dinner with Mom and sister in from Baltimore. I have made nourishing food choices.

Penny: thanks for the idea of repetitive games. I am doing wordle.
Closed Thread