Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 11:35 AM   #181  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Still on plan and weight is holding. Nothing going on for me except another cozy day at home.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:01 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Quick checkin. I have just made a food journal to write down my eating and relate it to physical/emotional eating. I commit to doing it through March.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:29 PM   #183  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I woke up about 2 am and got up a little later to read and then headed out for a hike at 8. It was a really nice day and a good hike. I can't believe that we just about had the trail to ourselves. I did some food prep type cooking so we're in shape to start the week. I did have a great nap after lunch and boy did I need it. For dinner we're having a bean and pasta soup that looks pretty good.

Maryann I have a hold on the book you are recommending. The audiobook should arrive in a couple of weeks from the library.

GardenerJoy I don't envy you the issues with a new home being built (if they do that). We live I a regular neighborhood and the homes were built in the early 1980's. Whenever a house sells a dumpster arrives and most of them have a huge remodel. We have one just two doors down that will be essentially a new home when it's finished. Because we aren't on a private drive we are just happy they are all being improved and keeping the home prices up.

Penny Enjoy your cozy day at home.

Curlyjax I hope you enjoyed yoga. The dates sound delicious. I can't keep them in the house because I would rather have them than almost any other sweet. I plan to make some kind of energy balls with dates for the Grand Canyon hike and my mouth is watering already.

Bill You are getting a fair amount of shoveling this year. Good thing you have a great heart and know it.

Waving to Ann and Onebyone. Time for dinner.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:39 PM   #184  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

This weekend was a blur of activity and I'm absolutely wiped out. Hours upon hours at the inlaw's on Friday and today, and we'll be back tomorrow late afternoon after bank appt. Progress continues to be made. MIL was a massive/copious (?) amateur genealogist who printed, photographed, mimeographed and jotted in notebooks anything and everything she could find. One stepdaughter wants it all. That's fine by us - she wants to hold all the family history on her dad's side. She'll have a massive task of winnowing it down one day, except she is OCD and will most likely save a room full of boxes of this stuff.

Goal is to always have a meal ready to heat up (soup, chili) for dinner on the nights we come home from working there. Or else I'm tempted to not go a healthy route. Tonight we had leftover bean soup and it was ready within five minutes. Credit. I then reached for a serving of tortilla chips. Demerit. Aiming for personals soon. Fingers crossed we get home in good time tomorrow. I need to use the morning to make my week's meal plan and prep our yummy plant based shepherd's pie for dinner tomorrow night. I keep typing and deleting cranky notes, so I'm going to just close here and try to wake up in a more caring mood.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:51 PM   #185  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default weekend update

Coaches

I'm worn out after a weekend of prepping for teaching and then teaching and then clean up. I teach Sat and Sun mornings. We are.in week 5 of an 8 wk ceramic handbuilding class.for beginners. This was the first week for personal projects. Sat class all wanted.to make teapots, which was a surprise..And today's class all had individual.projects: a dragon incense burner, a butter dish, a tall vase, a set if coconut themed cups.for the tiki bar out back this summer. The two.classes kept me.on my toes as I trouble shooter for everyone. So far.so good.

I woke up with a weird pain/weakness I've never had before. It's in something from my elbow to my wrist on.my.left arm. Like at a certain angle it hurts and I can't really loft or.gold.things like normal. What is that? Did I strain something? I noticed it on Saturday afternoon when I had.to load the kiln. I need.to bend over while.holdong a.kiln shelf, which is a wide awkward heavyish flat ceramic shelf that you place into the kiln so you can put the clay piees onto it. It's always tricky but that muscle made it hrder than usual. Hopefully it heals itself.

And my emotional were deeply stirred by the world events and I was tipped.over the edge into.sadness.and tears more than once. Today, reading about modern military weaponry I was beside myself. I have always.thought we humans are so creative. Imagine if the creativity we put into that destructive stuff was instead put towards constructive efforts. Where would we be now as a world? Pie in the sky thinking.

Well on a happy note weight is down for the week and I am.on plan. Huzzah.

Billblueyes Can you recommend something for me on the topic of Singularity? Have you studied that at all? Have you read the science books shown at the beginning of this video? I am.intrigued after watching this:

Old 02-28-2022, 07:22 AM   #186  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Watson and Crick announce double-helix structure of DNA (1953, Cambridge U)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The (23 mo) DFGD came over with DS and DDIL for an afternoon visit. We had her birthday present ready - to help spread out the mound of gifts she's certain to receive at her party next month: Little Tikes First Slide. She upped and downed on it non-stop, giggling the whole time. Hard to fathom such joy in such a tiny body. It's easy to take apart so it fit in their trunk to take home. One oddity of her life is that she attends a (pricey by my standards) daycare paid for by the Foster Care program. When she returns to her mom, that'll certainly be out of their price range.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi, including no snacks when all of us were visiting in the kitchen while little bit was doing her slide.

My accomplishment for the day was to gather credit cards and membership cards from five locations into one place. Destroyed all duplicates and obsolete ones. Then scanned the remaining sixtyish of them so that I could print a copy for our Family Folder part of our Estate Plan. Now, if I vanished tomorrow along with my wallet, it would be easier for someone to cancel what needs to be cancelled. The number is that large because it includes 'membership' in such clubs as Dunkin' Donuts coffee club that shows exactly one purchase. Some, like my Sears charge card, I hold fondly remembering all the stuff we've bought from Sears in the past and now don't even know if there's a Sears near where we shop. And I refuse to let go of my "Volvo Club" membership card because I so enjoyed the decade that I drove a Volvo albeit now long gone. I cringe paying a professional organization manager $95/hour to debate that there's no purpose keeping a membership card to a club to which I no longer belong and unlikely ever will again. In my defense, it takes up little space, LOL.

onebyone - Ouch for that pain in the left arm. No clue what could cause something that specific other than an obvious bruise. Enjoyed your link to the poetry reading. I do believe in the Big Bang - but without the drama of that delightful reading. I have no recommended readings at that level. I'm content with the standard published versions of physics, including the Wiki article Big Bang.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I'm a big fan of doing Open House at nearby places. I introduce myself to the broker as a non-buying neighbor - although one who has friends who ask about available houses. I've always been welcomed - even given special attention. Ouch for the thought of a nearby McMansion; Double Ouch for having to watch it being built.

maryann - LOL at the "plushscale" you linked. Interesting discussion about set point and trying to become a different weight. Wish I truly understood that stuff. Yay for one more Diamond lesson completed.

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts for all the hours you're spending helping to clear your in-law's house. Wonderful to have one set of stuff desired by a daughter.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a nap; I heartily approve.

curlyjax - Ouch for the many things from Trader Joe's that are "seriously addictive." Many pounds of current me have their origin from Trader Joe's.

Penny. - On plan is always good. You've earned your cozy time.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Lunch Guidelines

tip: Many dieters find it useful to prepare some (or all) parts of their lunch ahead of time. For example, as soon as he returns home from the supermarket, Will immediately divides his big bag baby carrots into individual portions to take with him as part of lunch each workday.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 116.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yoga class was great, and I chatted with someone after about how signups worked for the pool etc. I managed 30 minutes on the elliptical after that. It is really hard to exercise with a mask on but I am so happy to be able to be at the Y, so its worth it. Groceries done on the way home and the much anticipated nap. I gave my neighbor a bottle of wine as a thank you for snowplowing help, and we joked that means no more snow this year.
I felt a little sad/sunday blues in the afternoon but worked thru it without getting into food. Tonight's dinner is repeat of salmon etc and i’m giving my body a break from exercise other than stretching. I will pick up house and do laundry instead.
Onebyone-your ceramic classes sound very rewarding. Hopefully your soreness will end soon.
Nationalparker- working on your MIL’s house is such a big job, I’m sure you’re worn out afterwards. Great idea to have everything prepped to eat ahead when you get home.
Bill-no reason to give up your small memorabilia like volvo card. I have a key card from a hotel we stayed at, and a train card from England. Yay for organizing and shredding, you’re doing great.
Maryann- that book sounds interesting, you are always investigating new methods which I enjoy hearing about.
Gardenerjoy- neighborhood life, there’s always something going on!
Penny- yay for cosy and on plan.
Karen-can you take something to help you sleep longer or do you not mind waking up so early? Those energy balls sound good.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #188  
Green Tomatoes

Family drama derailed both exercise plans and eating plans yesterday. Mostly due to logistics. But a little bit due to some entitlement and comfort behaviors. So, here's my reminder that I'm entitled to live in a healthy body and to do the things that achieve that result. And, my reminder that I find lots of things comforting including exercise and watching myself check items off my to-do list. And, one more reminder, that one day of upset logistics is just one day -- easily rectified in the next.

I did get to the Open House while the drama was developing.

It's pretty small and needs a lot of work. I think it's overpriced for either living in it or tearing it down -- but what do I know. There were a lot of people going through it while I was there and before and after. Some people seemed to be imagining themselves living there, so that seemed like a good sign.

The kitchen needs to be updated and could probably be opened up, for a more modern floor plan, in the process. All the carpet and tile and vinyl flooring would need to be replaced. It's a three-bedroom, but they're all tiny. It would work for a couple or a single person who wanted work-from-home space, though. Especially if they're a plant lover! I was pleased that they somehow kept the largest plants in the atrium alive all winter. Those would be valuable to the right buyer so that they didn't have to start from scratch. There were even hibiscus blooms! You really can see the atrium from all four sides -- such a fascinating concept for a house.

We expect to see the drain guy at 11. It will be great to have a functioning sink and dishwasher again. One of my logistics problems yesterday was that I never managed to wash lettuce -- a task that will be much easier when the drain guy finishes.

Exercise +35, 1340/1400 minutes for February
Old 02-28-2022, 01:18 PM   #189  
Believe

Height: 5'3"

Hello Coaches.
I am feeling overwhelmed with all that is going on in our world. I have been staying off the computer and not watching tv. The other day I went on the computer and got consumed by everything happening. I find it emotionally draining. I see why people have issues with information overload on the computer. My husband was telling me stuff that was going on. I explained I need to disengage from all this stuff. My eating was good yesterday and for today. I have been walking even when it is cold or else I wouldn't walk. I am going to a show with DGDs. We are going to see Sing 2.
Have a wonderful day.

BillBlueEyes What a great idea you have with that Family folder for your estate plan. That would make it so much easier for your children.

onebyone -Wishing your arm gets better soon. Yay for being on plan.

GardenJoy - Yikes for family drama derailing both exercise plans and eating plans.

Maryann - You are an amazing teacher. Your students are fortunate to have you as a teacher. That book sounds interesting.

Nationalparker – That is a great plan to prep ahead of time. Sending supportive thoughts during this time. I do hope you are getting me time.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a nap. I wake up early too and sometimes a nap is great, who am I kidding, naps are always great. I haven't heard of Budha bowls. I will need to google them.

curlyjax - Yoga sounds great. I am nervous trying it. Yay for naps. How kind to give the neighbor a bottle of wine.

Penny. - Yay for being on plan.

Last edited by AnnC123; 02-28-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

School was fine. I came home on my prep to chill having worked through my lunch and came in early. Tomorrow will be later because I have a meeting and grading.

Credit for continuing my food journal and identifying some behaviors that I know work against my health. Today I am off to the gym.

I am thrilled our governor is lifting our mask mandate at school on March 11. That will be a life changer for me.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #191  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan and dinner will be made with some of the things I cooked yesterday. I didn't hike today so I could get some things done around the house. I did finish the tax prep and dropped it off at the CPA. The other project was to put an elastic drawstring around a light pullover jacket for dh that has toggles at the sides to adjust how snug it is. This jacket is too loose around the bottom since he has lost weight. Let me tell you I won't be sewing any wardrobes soon. It took me forever to watch the video, read the manual and make a practice button hole to reinforce the fabric where the elastic will come through and then make one on each side of the jacket. After making a mess of fabric getting stuck in the machine with thread in a ball under the (?) plate, I finally got that part done, threaded the elastic thru the little plastic pieces that will adjust it and I still need to turn it under and sew the hem. That part will wait until tomorrow or the next day. Tomorrow we're going to the Superstitions to hike the Peralta Trail. We were going last week but it was too cold so tomorrow will be a better day for that one.

Maryann I'm sure it will be nice to have the masks off at school. I don't know if you have even seen the faces of those students, sometimes people look so different with the mask off.

Ann I bet Sing 2 with the grands will be great. I do go to some animated movies, but I'm sure I would go to more if I only had some grandchildren.

GardenerJoy So sorry about the family drama. I'm glad you got over to the open house. It sounds very interesting.

Curlyjax Good job on getting to yoga and then the elliptical. I know when I first started doing the elliptical it let very hard and I know I couldn't have done 30 minutes.

Bill I'm afraid I've got some cards that should go in the trash too, but like you say they don't take much room. I have other things I keep for the same reason. I bet the little one was having a blast on her new slide.

Onebyone I would imagine your arm problem is from overuse with your work don't you think? I remember a boss who was having left arm pain and was worried it was cardiac. It turned out he had forgotten that he shucked a ton of oysters.

Nationalparker Good idea to have food for a meal ready for after the busy days at the in-laws. I can't imagine how much work it must be. Very nice that the one step-daughter wants the genealogy information.

Waving to Penny.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:46 PM   #192  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good evening! A productive day today! Feels good to start the week off strong with ticking things off a list, but I did add in an extra snack today after dinner (can I call it dessert?) It was completely just stress eating, and while i was sitting down, it was FAST. Not savored at all. Onward and forward. Learn from that and make a cup of tea next time.

This morning I prepped our dinner for tonight and so just had to reheat it when we got back home (shepherd's pie) - added cooked lentils, green peas and just a bit of the plant based crumbles. Very good. We had an appt at the bank to set up the estate account and the contact who'd started us along left for another job, and so when we went there on Friday, we had to schedule an appt for today to let them get caught up. We were there an hour and a half, and it will be set up in 48 hours. Then several hours clearing out at the in-laws and stops at goodwill and recycling. I brought home two garbage bags of throws to wash and drop off at the Humane Society for their kennels. All are without loose weaves for pooch toenails to hook into I asked if we could set a departure time and then stick to it so we have 15 mins to wrap up and then we're locking up. DH was all for that, and it worked great. We got home about 90 minutes later and felt like we weren't dragging in. Good solution. I hate to go on about this so much. Next report will be To Inlaws. Enough said.

No formal activity today. Goal is to get on the exercise bike tomorrow, and DH said he'd walk the trail with me in the evening. Ice/snow has all melted here. Other goal for tomorrow is to journal and post here at a decent time.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:32 AM   #193  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the March 2022 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2022 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Closed Thread