Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #46  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight remains the same. Yesterday's Tom's Thumb hike was great. The weather was perfect and we had a good time reminiscing about the time we did a similar hike that also included some scrambling and finding the cave that is called the Ogre's Den. When I looked at FB later I saw in my memories that we did that hike exactly ten years before. I did do my arm exercises and plank, so I have fulfilled week one of my resolution.

Dh had an MRI of his hip at about dinner time and I made jalapeño Mac and cheese for his dinner and also to be cut in individual servings for him while I'm gone. I'll also make a meat loaf and beyond that he can fend for himself.

I'm getting a little nervous about traveling alone to Thailand. The first time I went dh was with me. The second time I flew with a group leader to Nepal first and only from there to Thailand after our river rafting and trekking. It was only 3 hours from Nepal. I have flown home alone. I guess with all the extra hoops, it just makes it a little more daunting. Once I am there I will be fine because I trust ds to take care of me. I woke up extra early this morning and finished The Book of Two Ways that I have reading kind of slowly. I thought it was really good.

Curlyjax I'm glad ds is home to shovel the snow for now. I can't believe the crazy weather. Poor Washington is really suffering from flooding.

Bill I would say that extra shoveling would earn you a cookie for sure. I'm glad the neighbor provided. I keep looking at the lemons on the neighbors tree thinking I should make lemon bars for someone.

Maryann I bet it is so beautiful in Tahoe. Have a fabulous time skiing.

Penny I'm glad your soup turned out so well. I'm going to make cauliflower soup today. Vegetarian and not a cream based one.

GardenerJoy Good job working on your attitude towards the Zoom meeting. I am so grateful to have Zoom, but on the other hand I think we are all sick to death of it.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #47  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday's meeting was just lovely. I'm so glad that I put myself in the right frame of mind.

We have freezing temperatures and we're expecting rain. But it looks like we may luck out and the rain won't start until after the temperatures increase to the mid and upper 30s.

Exercise +35, 350/1600 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: Cool that you earned a literal cookie.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:55 AM   #48  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was off plan. I didn't plan to do it, but I ate the family dinner with my birthday son. Of course I did. Weight only jumped 1/2 pound. Back to it.

No snow for us, just rain. Have a great day, everyone!
Old 01-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Wow! I slept till 9:00. I must have been really beat. A dusting of snow last night and it is 23 degrees outside. I'll wait until people have been on the roads a little longer before I head out to cross country.

Curlyjax: You sound like a great cook. I wish I was more comfortable in the kitchen but I think that time in my life has passed and I will stick to being an "assembler."
BBE: I read that statistic as well about heart attacks. DH is outside everyday so I am less afraid for him.
Penny: Happy Bday to your boy.
Karen: When I flew to Peru everything was very well orchestrated. I didn't feel the least out of sorts. The whole world is unsure right now and I felt all the airlines made accommodations for that.
Joy: I have a biweekly zoom with old friends. Zoom has its place.

Last edited by maryann; 01-08-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:10 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Judges' investigations for trial of Joan of Arc begin (1431, Rouen, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was "watching" the Webb Telescope unfold its primary mirror - first the port side then the starboard. Help my breath the whole time as if I was actually watching instead of just reading the reports. Loved the jubilation of the ground crew in Maryland when it was all done. It tickles me that the nautical terms were used instead of 'left' and 'right'. Don't know if that's also done on terrestrial telescopes. Certainly find it easy to think of the Webb Telescope as a ship sailing away.

Am a little disappointed to feel a tad sore after a few hours of shoveling snow. My self image is that I can do that with ease. Alas, that ship has sailed. I don't need to go to the ER for heart problems, but I do need to work the muscles more on a regular basis. CREDIT moi that I can still shovel my own snow. Hiring folks to get rid of snow is highly competitive around here. Even the kids walking down the street in inappropriate sneakers and small, wobbly shovels want big bucks for mediocre work.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with only a small snack in the afternoon and my standard evening California Navel Orange. The dinner recipe included more hamburger than usual. DW was forced to buy a 1.25 pound package where she usually buys a 0.9 pound package. One more instance of seeing less on the shelves than normal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for reaping the reward for preparing your attitude before a meeting. I thought today was the day rain was predicted to wash away the remnants of our snow but current temperature is 26 degrees F.

maryann - Have a wonderful image of you deep in snow country on your x-country skis. Savor your bliss.

Karen (karenrn) - Can't resist posting a link to pictures of Tom's Thumb and Ogre's Den. Everywhere in Arizona has great views! Jalapeño Mac and cheese is a great reward for surviving an MRI of the hip.

curlyjax - Yay for two kids helping shovel the snow. Your chicken tenders with homemade crumbs and Parmesan sound terrific.

Penny. - Good mom to eat the family dinner for your birthday son. Glad that you're avoided the snow for the moment.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

How to Transition Your Eating

Remember, your ultimate goal is long-term success.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 110.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:46 AM   #51  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is stable. I had a pretty lazy day but did get some things put together for my trip. Today I'm going to hike ten miles alone from the Sunrise TH to Adero Canyon TH and back. The good news is there is a bathroom at the Adero side which is a bonus midway in the hike. I'm listening to Michelle Obama's book and so the longer hike will help me. I'm enjoying the book. I just ordered Jamie Raskin's new book Unthinkable on Audible so I have some reading/listening material for my trip. Bill thanks for posting the Tom's Thumb link. The video really shows what it looks like around there. I just love the big rocks.

Bill The Webb telescope and it's unfolding is so incredible. Sore muscles is a good thing, or at least it is in my book. It means they got a workout.

Maryann I hope you're having a good time skiing. I hope you're right about the trip. Friend Amy is in Chile now and not feeling like it is so smooth.

Penny Happy birthday to ds and I hope it was a meal you enjoyed.

GardnerJoy It looks like you, Curlyjax and Bill could have some dicey weather for a bit. I'm glad your meeting went se well. It seems like that happens more than occasionally that we dread something that turns out to be enjoyable.

Curlyjax Your chicken tenders sound nummy. We eat chicken tenders a lot. It's easy for me to choose a couple to make up my 3 oz portion. I hope you feel energetic to get Christmas put away.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Christmas is mostly put away. DS threw the tree outside where it will sit until the snow melts a bit and its easier to throw it in the mini forest behind my house. I still have to vacuum up the pine needles and pick up a few things, but its so great to have the tree space reclaimed in my small house. I also went for a walk with a friend I haven't seen in awhile, which was good for my head but bad for my plantar fascitis. Back to intense stretching and icing. Food hasn't been great; I think i'll be able to focus more on planning etc in 2 weeks when the kids are back to school. DD has to do a pcr test sometime this week for college which is a challenge to find, schedule etc. She may have to zip back to college to get one done there, but there's a travel advisory today, she has to work other days, etc. Winter really complicates everything. She's stressed about a bunch of things, and then I get stressed, and stuff came up with my aunt-how to figure out when she can go home safely from the assisted living, finding help etc. Ugh, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Anyhow-we have food for today, and I have time and energy to problem solve, so that's all good.
Karen- the book of two ways sounds really good. I can understand feeling a bit leery about traveling there on your own, but thank goodness you have DS once you're there.
Bill-I suspect we're all going to be flexible with food expectations for a bit.
Maryann- I'm definitely not a great cook but I'm certainly comfortable making basic stuff. My food tends to be bland and/or comfort food. Cross country skiing is such great exercise.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Great day skiing yesterday. The park had opened up the higher mountain and I really gave myself a work out. Almost too much. My heart was pounding so hard ( which never happens to me because my blood pressure is usually around 100/5 ) In the the middle of the empty mountain I thought of BBE's heart attack story about shoveling. Sheesh. Turned out fine. Today I am going to use the free downhill pass to Diamond Peak Ski resort. It is a smaller resort and will be perfect for me warming up. It will be my first downhill of the season. I don't think much about food on these very active days. That is a good thing.

curly: Yeah for the progress in cleaning up the house.
Karen: i loved the pictures of Tom Thumb. It reminded me so much of hiking Tucson for the ten years my GG lived there.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:43 AM   #54  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down.

It's supposed to be sunny here today so when the morning frost clears and it warms up a bit, I want to clean the deck. It's covered in slippery algae and the little dog has been using it as her toilet to avoid the stairs. Ewwww!

Old 01-10-2022, 12:09 AM   #55  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default chiming in

Coaches

What a week. Caesar the cat went to the vet, got diagnosed with cataracts and senior cognition problems and was started on a low dose pain med and ear drops.for the ear infection we really brought him.in for and then an antibiotic to tamp down a recurring upper respiratory infection. He was walking around the apartment as if.he was.blind, bumping into walls etc and when he was in this "fugue state" as DH termed.it he didn't even hear us or respond to us. And then it would pass. Back and forth.from day to day until 2 days ago he was completely back and stayed back until this evening when he went fugue again. We have both cycled through a lot of emotions. At first I didn't eat over it and then I did. I just ate and ate and regained what I recently lost. Dusting myself off and moving forward. Also this week were msgs that I was possibly exposed to covid not once but twice. No rapid tests to check it out. No pcr tests either. We are to just assume we have it and isolate. Neither of us are showing signs or symptoms and the contacts who msg me both got hold of rapid tests and were negative. Big emotions around these events this week too.

Until tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:34 AM   #56  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Julius Caesar defies the Roman Senate and crosses the Rubicon (49 BC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The Sunday exercise with the (20 mo) DFGD got cancelled due to her light fever. I'd hoped for a play in the snow since we'd been sent pictures of her first snow outing - "She does NOT want to go back inside," my DS texted us. Didn't get out much - it rained, then didn't rain, then rained again. I made progress reading the top book on my stack and in preparing for a Zoom meeting tonight.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Back to having an afternoon snack after I found out that we weren't having a play date. Dinner included Brussels sprouts. Again. Seems that DW somehow bought a three-pound bag of Brussels sprouts - so we've had them four times recently. "Won't do that again!" About once a week is our standard, but the large bag required upping that.

For those who are wondering what happened next, Julius Caesar then uttered "alea iacta est" - (the die is cast), signaling the start of civil war which would lead to his appointment as Roman dictator for life. The Rubicon is still a river in what is now northeastern Italy.

onebyone - That is a lot of emotional stuff for one week. Good news that your potential source of exposure has tested negative. Continue to send you all supportive thoughts as Caesar Cat struggles.

maryann - Enjoy the abundant snow at Tahoe. LOL at the typo suggesting that you're barely alive, "my blood pressure is usually around 100/5."

Karen (karenrn) - Always good news when there's a bathroom along the way. I confess, though, that I take advantage of being able to discretely pee while pretending to look at a rock or a tree or a bird. Need to be reminded when you leave for Thailand.

curlyjax - Hope your DD can find a place to take a PCR test. Testing sites are swamped around here, also. Yay for getting your house back without the tree.

Penny. - Sounds like a good chore to get some exercise in the cold. Hope the news about flooding sufficient to close highways isn't affecting you.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

How to Transition Your Eating

I've found that many dieters do better if they slowly ease into the Think Thin Initial Eating Plan. Although they may lose weight more slowly, they are often better able to make permanent changes in their eating - changes that will help them lose weight for life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 110.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #57  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and weight is in a holding pattern. My hike yesterday was just great. I can really feel the difference in being at a lower weight. It's just easier. It was a beautiful day, but quite windy at times. Today I'll walk Otis and get some things done around the house, as in housework. I'm also going to photo copy some of the documents I need to have handy during my travel. Ds called last night to be reassuring and tell me just what I'll be doing at the airport. He says I'll be surprised how few people are at the airport compared to my previous trips. That's okay with me.

Bill Too bad about the little one not being able to come over. I hope she's better soon. I'm leaving on Sunday, 1/16 and returning Friday, 2/4. I'll have my computer with me and plan to check in.

Onebyone I'm sorry the kitty is having such troubles. That is so stressful. I'm glad the possible Covid exposure didn't have Covid.

Penny I hope you had a sunny day yesterday after all the snow and rain that's been dumping on the northwest. I can't believe the photos I've been seeing.

Maryann Your heart could have been pounding if you were exerting yourself. Blood pressure goes up along with heart rate when you're really working out. How do I know this . . . from my recent exercise treadmill test. My BP and HR are usually very low. I'm glad you had a good time!

Curlyjax That darned plantar fasciitis. I hope you can get it to go away. Sorry about the stress from DD and your aunt. I can't remember if you still have a geriatric case manager helping with your Aunt. Is it realistic that she go back home?

Waving to GardnerJoy.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #58  
Green Tomatoes

I thought I posted yesterday, but it was a kind of disjointed day, so I'm not that surprised that I didn't. CREDIT for writing and following a food plan.

We made Korean bibimbap from Sunbasket for supper last night. It was fun. We may try that again on our own.

I'll shop for groceries this morning, aiming to have enough for two weeks (with cabbage and broccoli for fresh veggies in the second week). I'm grateful that we have a county-wide mask mandate back in place, at least for the moment.

Our daily hospital admission graph is vertical. We had 226 on Saturday -- our peak last winter was just over 150 a day. The major hospitals have canceled every pre-scheduled surgery that is feasible in order to reassign staff. My brother is getting a couple of radiation treatments for a flare-up of his follicular lymphoma this week and, so far, those are still expected to occur.

Exercise +55, 440/1600 minutes for January
Old 01-10-2022, 08:03 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday was kind of a wasted day. I took too long of a nap midday and then felt quite blue and out of it. Finally I made myself do my weights and a little stationary bicycling, and then I felt better. There was a warning about icy roads and I tend to shelter inside and feel panicky; I should have left the house at some point. The isolation of winter and the pandemic is getting to me a bit, and I'm feeling panicky about the amount of paperwork and financial stuff I need to do ie get the tuition paid. Anyhow, I'm quite ready to go to work today and be with the world today!
Karen- yes, we still have a GCM working with us. It's hard to know how realistic it is about her going home, which is part of the problem. Wow, your trip is coming up soon!
Onebyone- I'm sorry about Caesar, that is very hard.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #60  

Good morning!

Yesterday was not on plan and weight is up a little. I'm journaling and doing all the things to try and keep the off plan slide from happening.

The day is planned and I have to work. Have a good day, everyone.
Closed Thread