Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #136  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was day two of the road trip. We stayed at a very nice hotel in a tower at a shopping mall. It wasn't a good food day starting with the buffet breakfast. At the start of the day I went to get my second covid test required by my Test and Go Thailand Pass. I still don't have the results, but I'm sure they were fine. After that we had the long drive to grandma's village. I think we were on the main highway (2) but at times it was one lane due to construction. We arrived here and checked in to a small hotel/inn and then went to Grandma's to meet everyone. Oh and I forgot we had to stop at the bank along the way to withdraw a bunch of money to show grandma. I guess she doesn't get the money, just gets to see it. (Funny thing is it is Mai's money, not Justin's). Anyway the very humble home has tents up for the party today and lights and decorations. A dozen people came over to pre-party last evening. Can I just say I will be happy to leave here tomorrow. It is not so comfortable being surrounded by people that I can't really communicate with. So I guess it's a party to celebrate that ds and Mai are a long term couple but there won't be a marriage ceremony. My plan is to get back on plan food wise today and not let social discomfort interfere. Good news is no alcohol for 138 days.

Maryann What an stressful day with the student meeting and dh's medical situation. I'm glad you have something to take to help. New information related to health can turn things around in an instant. I hope things continue to be fine with dh.

Gardnerjoy I hope your back pain resolves quickly.

Curlyjax I would imagine it's hard to switch from kids home to kids gone and back and forth. I hope you get the paperwork sorted out soon at least enough to relieve the overwhelm.

Penny Boring bean soup sound really good to me about now.

Bill I hate to say it, but we didn't really see the sights in that town. I hear you about the ears sticking out. I've had a mask on quite a bit and I'm sure mine are sticking out.

Well I guess I'll be getting up soon to get ready for the day. I think we're supposed to head to grandma's by 7 or so (sounds crazy huh).

Old 01-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #137  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday- 1st bridge opens over the Mississippi River in what is now Minneapolis (1855)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with only evening snack, CREDIT moi. And that evening snack was just unsweetened applesauce. Dinner included green beans - one of the few approved veggies. Spinach is on the list of not-approved. Hard to believe since I think of spinach as just sliding along. Feels liberating to have an additional reason to avoid snacks.

Excitement was a trip to Trader Joe's to get the baguette for my peanut butter sandwich for lunch for three days. Baguette is good; whole wheat bread is bad. I slipped out of Trader Joe's for only $81, LOL. In two canvas bags. My brain suggested that I needed to stock up on everything in sight. Got five weeks' worth of coffee; many weeks of roasted pecans; some frozen stir fry that DW likes to keep for a quick meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope that lower back pain gets under control for someone as active as you are.

maryann - Your June trip to Quebec sounds fun; haven't been to Quebec in years. Good luck with a planned day of puttering.

Karen (karenrn) - So neat that your DS and non-DDIL have you so immersed in the ways of Thailand. This grandma sounds like quite a trip.

curlyjax - Au revoir to your DD. Welcome to a period of when you can use the kitchen table for whatever you want. Your casserole sounds good; hope you make enough for several days. Yep, the constrained diet regime ends with four liters of yucky liquid. Annoyingly enough for a geek, it's to be consumed in units of 8 ounces. Nowhere is it acknowledged that four liters is not an integer number of 8 ounce cups. Haven't decided yet whether to cheat and gulp exactly sixteen 250 ml servings like a metric-system snob, or to consume sixteen 8 oz servings then rebel and dump the last few ounces in the sink like a little kid.

Penny. - Congrats for being able to find a sandwich that appeals to you at Subway. I'm drawn by "Fresh baked rolls" and then disappointed that they're pretty bland. LOL at, "Boring bean soup."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

As best you can, try to plan the week's worth of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks. Make sure you have the ingredients you need or have a plan for when and how you will get them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 113.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #138  
Green Tomatoes

My back is feeling a bit less pain, easing into stiffness. I’m glad to feel some improvement.

Today is a strength-training day. I think I may go back to Day 1 of the 30-day yoga program that I’ve been working with for a couple of years. I haven’t done anything from the first week in many months because I felt beyond that. But now that I’m in recovery mode, I think the easiest routine that I'm willing to call "strength-training" may be wise.

Exercise +65, 1170/1600 minutes for January
Old 01-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave. Long stressful day with emotional eating of ice cream etc. DD finally left late, I stayed up too late, slept poorly etc. Heard mice scratching in the attic again, I wish they would go live somewhere else!!
Reset today. I'm meeting a few friends in my pod at one of their houses for a little coffee and conversation, so that should help reset my mind as well.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #140  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I printed out the basic tax forms and filled them out by hand for my son's first few months of work experience. What a trip! The government sure knows how to make it as complicated as possible. He'll be getting his few hundred dollars back.

One more day of work and then I have a grocery list and menu planned for Monday's shopping. I have a $$$ challenge to not spend over a certain amount in the next three weeks. I'm lucky that I can give myself these challenges, not from necessity but choice. I'm chiselling away on my next financial goal.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 01-23-2022, 01:41 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I cant believe I slept to nearly 10:00 . Crazy. This metalsmithing class is really making a dent in my routine. My weight is high and I want to do the five day fast I am scheduled for but I know Tuesday will be too long - an 18 hour day with night driving. Too dangerous. So I have seriously thought about dropping the hands on class. It is not a requirement for my Degree. But first I am going to try two of the one day fast boxes Prolon provides. If I get Sunday and Monday under my belt, then Tuesday normal all might get back to normal.

Penny: I have been very happy tracking with my Every Dollar program. It feels good to have set financial goals and start working toward them. The idea "I have money in the bank" is not good enough.
Curley: I am doing a reset today with you. My tasks will be to spray the weeds in the garden and do some shopping for school prizes.
karen: My nephew's wife is from Turkey and my SIL had to fly back there for a similar ritual which involved gold and gifts. Glad you can participate in this important ritual for your son.
BBE: LOL at giving a scientist inexact measurements. Tee hee - you know you could eyeball it like I would.
Joy: Glad your back is better.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #142  

Good morning coaches,

It's early morning here. Yesterday was the "wedding" party. It was pretty darned fancy for a small village and 100 people or more showed up. It is so funny though cause it started at 8 in the morning and was finished by noon. They had dancing and some of them sang I guess like karaoke. After the party we came back to the hotel for a rest and then out do dinner later. The dinner was a really good Thai meal with the nicest vegetables. I can't say I was back on plan yesterday but closer than the day before. I think we'll head back towards home today after ds hopefully can get his driver's license renewed. It's an 8 hour drive or so and depending upon what time we leave we may have another night on the road. I got my day 5 or 6 covid test results. Negative as expected. Many masks at the wedding party except when eating.

Maryann I can understand why you are considering dropping the hands on class. How many weeks does it last?

Penny Even though I get tired of meal planning and cooking, I miss it already. There is something to be said for being in control of ones food.

Curlyjax I hope the gathering with friends will help with a good reset for you.

Gardnerjoy I'm glad your back is somewhat better. Do you know what happened to cause the pain?

Bill Yes grandma is a trip all right. Quite poor and wanting to show off that granddaughter found a rich American is I think how it goes. Only thing is "rich" American she found is very frugal and not in to showing off for grandma.

Waving to one by one.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:54 AM   #143  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Today was step on the scale day.and I am down 6.4lbs for the first week back on plan. I had a great week with very little deviation and several challenges I managed to deal with in the moment. I'm.not changing anything this week and will simply try it again. Food was.good again today and on plan.

In other things I've been upset to find I start teaching this coming weekend. Already! and I'm probably teaching two classes of beginner potters. This isn't the upsetting part. The upset comes.from just having settled at the gallery space to paint. I may only manage one stretch of several.days in a row to focus on painting only.Both the gallery space and my own schedule will start to get active again. I feel so guilty complaining about something like that. How lucky I am, really?!

gardenerjoy
In the last few years I've had my lower back go out on me so I feel your pain. A friend of mine insisted I get the Treat Your Own Back Book by Robin McKenzie and it is extremely helpful both with healing a sore back and with immediately treating it so it doesn't get worse. It is so simple and effective you.wont.believe it. Take.a.look for it. .Hope.youre feeling better!

maryann I have to grudgingly admit I can't fit everything into a day that I want to do so I know that feeling if having to drop something. What's good is you tried to do it. Maybe you could do it at another time. Or not. I also wanted to sending you my best wishes around all the medical stuff.

to everyone reading writing or lurking.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-24-2022 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:01 AM   #144  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday- St. Petersburg renamed Leningrad for late revolutionary leader (1924, Russia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was entertaining the (22 mo) DFGD and DS for a spell in the afternoon. She is so over her COVID. Had a slight fever for a day some ten days ago and nothing since. Have to admire the resilience of young bodies. She has now thoroughly mastered our house. Came into my office and pointed to the shelf where I keep the plasma globe. I plugged it in; she touched it with her fingers ... then with her hand. Giggled wildly. Moved on. Sheer delight for one minute then on to the next thing. Her spoken words are seriously increasing; she now repeats a word, like "cow", when we hand her that refrigerator magnet. Now says "come" and "bye" in addition to the hand signals. It's the kind of bursting with words that I saw in my kids and the (6 yo) DGD. There is such joy watching the young mind figuring it all out.

Eating was on plan with only evening snack, CREDIT moi. However, I suffered a bout of entitlement thinking that apple sauce was too wimpy for me. I had vanilla ice cream. We only had ice cream available because I asked DW to buy some just to satisfy my feeling of not getting enough. The deprivation is all in my head since the food is more than adequate: English muffins with butter for breakfast - without fig preserves; peanut butter with banana on baguette for lunch - without pecans and without carrots on the side and using peanut butter from a jar to be sure that it's truly 'smooth' instead of my loved fresh ground version with a slight texture; grilled chicken, green beans (again), and Arborio Rice for dinner.

onebyone - Kudos for "a great week with very little deviation." Sounds like busy times a-coming.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for some relief for your back.

maryann - A planned 18-hour day is a long day. Hope you find a sane path through this. I did note in the news that there's a 555.55 carat black diamond going up for auction in Dubai. It would be a great promotion piece in your new business.

Karen (karenrn) - That wedding party sounds like a true once in a lifetime event. So unintuitive that a party starts at 8 in the morning and ends at noon.

curlyjax - Neat idea to reset your mind.

Penny. - It drives me nuts that IRS forms are so complicated for young folks entering the work force.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

When will you get to the grocery store? Are you often busy during the week? Would it be helpful for you to cook or prepare some food on the weekend for the coming week?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 113.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-24-2022 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo: tough=>bout
Old 01-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Brunch with my friends was very nice. Another person was there whom I like, but when she's there we end up talking about our offspring a lot. I would rather talk about other stuff frankly, and I can't be as open when she's there, but it was still fun. I got a few necessities like coffee, took a nap, then bustled around cleaning up the aftermath of having two young adults home. I didn't get to make the ham/cauli casserole yet; I did cook up the zuchini noodles i bought and ate them with cheese and spag sauce which was bland but the kind of comfort food I like.
Today I will get my weights done and start sorting thru papers, spreading out on the table, after work.
Bill-that plasma glove is so cool. Glad DGD is feeling good. It is indeed so amazing to watch those little brains at work. I have yet to embrace PB banana sandwich but I'll take your word that its fabulous.
Onebyone- great job staying on track! Sorry you won't have long stretches to paint. A friend has started a pottery class again and she loves it, so you are doing good in the world!
Penny- great to have a money challenge you choose; I will have to set myself a goal like that at some point.
Karen- the "wedding"sounds fun, and yes strange to have it so early. Too funny about your frugal son.
Maryann-can the Prolon be done just one day a week instead of all at once? I think i could just about manage that myself
Gardenerjoy-glad your back is easing up; good idea to take it slow with the strength training.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #146  
Green Tomatoes

The Day 1 of the 30-day yoga program did no harm and might have helped my back a bit. It wasn't much of a challenge. Two years ago, it was very challenging, indeed, so it's good to see the improvement.

Today's adventure is a trip to the grocery store, wearing my best mask. Our hospitalizations remain way too high, but the trendlines tipped downward the last few days. Maybe in a month, a trip to the grocery store won't feel so perilous.

Exercise +45, 1215/1600 minutes for January

karenrn: I'm not sure what caused the lower back pain. It started the morning after a yoga routine with lots of balance poses, so I may need to be a bit more attentive about what parts of my body I tense to hold a balance pose. But I haven't had problems, previously, after doing the same routine. My only other thought is that it started after a night that I spent more than nine hours in bed -- I have had lower back pain in the past that I associate with too much time in bed, so I'm more inclined to think it was that. I used to think that ten hours in bed was too much, I may need to lower that number as I get older.

onebyone: Thanks for the book recommendation. I ordered a used copy.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #147  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is unchanged.

I managed to do the monster grocery shopping job yesterday after work and plan to putter and cook today.

Karen, that party sounds like quite an experience! I'm enjoying going along for the ride virtually.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #148  

Good morning coaches,

Well yesterday didn't turn out the way we thought it would and we are still up north. Ds got his doctor's note that he is healthy to drive which is needed for a driver's license. Unfortunately he must get the license in the province where he lives. He also made an appointment for this morning to meet a man for a potential business opportunity. He has met with him before but will be able to show him more of the property and whatever else. So the plan is walk, breakfast, kill time while ds is at the meeting and then head towards home. We may or may not get there today. Food portions were good yesterday, but I will be glad to get back to home base so I can have my more regular breakfast of oatmeal.

Personals tomorrow.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:56 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Yesterday was the worst eating day I have had in years. Something has triggered my binge eating. Today i have thankfully stuck to one day Prolon and am scheduled to go exercise. I am focusing on keeping the litchen closed.
Day 1 No Sweets at work!

I am going to try to keep the class. One solution is DH is driving down with me tomorrow. He has a buddy nearby and then can do the driving. yeah!

Curleyjax: Yes you can do the Prolon for one day. I am nearly through the complete day today. I will eat moderately tomorrow and then finish the school week with Prolon.
onebyone: credit for the drop in weight.

Wave to all.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:45 AM   #150  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default tougher day today

Coaches

My day was odd but I can't even tell you why it felt that way. It just did. It also whizzed by. I was at the makerspace and finally.made a bucket of clear glaze. There was.nothing in the bucket.and even.looked like people had sponged out the remnants. That's bad it was so low! oh well. Fixed now.

Foodwise, it was a hungry day. I didn't give in and the waves passed but I'm feeling pretty empty.as I write this. It is 12:37am so I will soon be sleeping and not hungry. I'll see how long I fast tomorrow. My schedule has me fasting until 6:30pm. I may not go that long, which is fine. I have a schedule but I also need to tune into my body. This can be the hardest thing.

Goodnight.

Closed Thread