3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/324572-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-december-2021-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 12-01-2021 07:06 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes 12-01-2021 07:08 AM

Wednesday - Rosa Parks remains seated on the bus (1955, Montgomery)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was impressed with the quality of expensive equipment pointed at my eyes at my routine visit to my eye doctor. They took pictures of the optic nerve; compared it to previous visits; noted the trend; produced graphs and charts - all in color. Just WOW! Then added the ancient test where I read the letters/numbers on the chart on the far wall, "The smallest that you can read." Certainly they are aware that some folks have memorized that chart, LOL.

Mucked about with my Ea-Z-Boy recliner. Finally have accepted that the stuffing is not up to snuff and that reupholstering it would cost nearly $1000. The site suggests that reupholstering almost always exceeds the cost of a new chair. Am getting closer to accepting that I'll post a notice in one of the free-cycle sites and let someone pick it up off my porch. I'm mourning as if I was letting a kid go to college or something.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was, once again, salmon grilled on the deck. Noticed a whole section of cheese empty at the supermarket - worrisome sight.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Congrats for finishing your NaNoWriMo and having reached the end of the story. Great idea to celebrate by not buying chocolate.

maryann - How can one not love a culture where even the men wear cool hats. So high on my Bucket List. Congrats for continuing with your Prolon fast.

Karen (karenrn) - So exciting to be "looking at flights to Bangkok." Jealous here; never been.

curlyjax - Kudos for "feeling quite hungry but managed to not overeat." Little triumphs are so great.

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 9 Get Back on Track - Right Away

What to do . . .
To made your Cheat Sheet, get a 3x5 card. On it, write the following questions:
  • What was the situation, and what were my sabotaging thoughts?
  • Did I eat this food slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite?
  • How do I feel now that I've given in?
  • Had I read my Response Cards and Advantages Deck today?
  • Did I try any other Resistance Techniques?
  • How can I avoid this situation in the future?
  • What can I say to myself next time?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 104.

curlyjax 12-01-2021 07:30 AM

I was mostly OP yesterday. I did indulge in some gum and hard candy during the 4 hour training session which was the leaders basically reading the training manual to us, snore. I managed to get some Christmas planning done while “listening”, so yay for that. Today the training continues but it incorporates balance exercises so at least that will keep us awake.
The exterminator did come and sealed up the outside of the house, and reported the mice had touched very little of the bait. I think they are now in a section of the roof of what used to be over a screened in porch and is now a room, but we can’t access it so I’m just not going to worry about it.
I was really tired for some reason last night so all I managed to do was make some oatmeal for breakfast today, and baked tofu with barbecue sauce which i’ve been snacking on. Woke up hungry today so yay for that.
Maryann- thanks for the link. Such beautiful images!
Karen-Bangkok will be very exciting, so fun to plan.
Gardenerjoy- I hear you about over indulging on chocolate- you have a good idea to avoid it altogether.
Bill-eye visit sounds interesting. I need to do an eye checkup soon, I hope mine includes fancy apparatus too!

karenrn 12-01-2021 08:50 AM

Good morning coaches,

I'm typing this on my new laptop. What a joy compared to the old one which really should have been replaced some time ago. Food was on plan yesterday and weight is a tiny bit lower than it has been in a long time. Looking back on My Fitness Pal I see it has been almost 4 years. It has not been fast, but I'm feeling good and haven't had the urge to eat off plan much at all. I'm heading out for a hike that starts at 9 so I am waiting to eat my breakfast and I've packed some snacks since it is a bit longer.
I took db and sil to the airport this morning. We left the house at 4:30 and I was back by 5:10 since there wasn't any traffic. I'm still looking at flights to Thailand, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Personals tomorrow since I realize I have a bit to do before I'm ready to leave.

Penny. 12-01-2021 11:35 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday's progress was not eating again after 2:00. Weight is up a little more.

I managed to get my three errands done, with some added drama. The new little car had to be towed to the shop. The title ( well, NMVTIS, the title I have is clean) shows the car "crushed" in Missouri, which apparently can be an error that has been made before- they'll let me know in a week or so. Fingers crossed I didn't get taken. And four expired passports are now set to be renewed. Whew! I'm glad I don't have to do anything today.

I'll be making turkey noodle soup today, and puttering around the house.

Joy, congrats on completing your writing and exercise goals!

Karen, congratulations on the weightloss progress! You're doing great. Good luck with the travel planning.

Maryann, your Peru trip had some beautiful sites. Good luck with the fasting today.

Curly, the mice problem sounds so frustrating. I hope sealing the outside helps.

Onebyone, I'm glad you were able to get some assistance with your glaze mixing class.

Bill, luckily there is usually always someone willing to take our junk furniture, as long as it's free.

Have a great day, everyone!

gardenerjoy 12-01-2021 12:11 PM

I took a quick glance at my chocolaty treat and left it where it was. No eggs at the Christmas Market, so I have no reason to walk in there again this season. That will make it much easier to resist.

I'm celebrating that I met my November exercise goals. That's two months in a row of 1500 minutes. I think I'll aim for 1600 in December.

Exercise +60, 1525/1500 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes 12-02-2021 06:19 AM

Thursday - Napoleon crowned emperor of France (1804, Notre Dame de Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Picked up the (6 yo) DGD at kindergarten in the afternoon cold. Nevertheless, she immediately headed to the climbing structure with her friends. After thirty minutes of non-stop play, she and a few buddies headed behind a (very transparent) bush to start building with mud. Mud they made with water from their water bottles. We delivered a muddy child to her mom. Might put an end to the mud play. Two boys were doing their best to destroy a five-foot shrub until their grandfather finally suggested, very gently, that the shrub had to serve other kids, also. Slowly, they quit. I was on the side of the shrub in that one.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was delayed, so the small serving of guacamole planned for dinner was eaten while listening to a Zoom presentation. Saw a film of a fish at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean's Marianna Trench - 35,000 feet down. The deepest known spot in the ocean. The author, Helen Scales, was describing her book, The Brilliant Abyss: Exploring the Majestic Hidden Life of the Deep Ocean, and the Looming Threat That Imperils It. Naturally, that's now destined to be under the tree for DW after one click. I'm such a sucker for a young, exuberant, cogent, well-informed, British-accented, scientist. Especially one with Shirley-Temple hair. (Suspect that I'd have to tell her who that was, LOL.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos, once again, for setting and meeting exercise goals for the month. Super Kudos for seeing that chocolate treat and leaving it alone.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for settling in to your new laptop. You're a true friend for getting folks to the airport at 4:30 am.

curlyjax - It's hard to sit through a boring training even while being paid. Thanks for the DM yesterday to remind me that December had started after I'd posted on the November thread. Methinks I'm in denial that winter approaches. Counter thought: Only three weeks until the days start getting longer.

Penny. - Hope the "crushed" car unravels in your favor. My last encounter with renewing passports was easy-peasy. Hope that's a trend.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

Carry this card with you. Take it to an office-supply store and have it laminated. Whenever you eat unplanned food, pull it out and think about your answers to these questions.

karenrn 12-02-2021 07:35 AM

Good morning coaches,

I added a squeeze container of applesauce (left by my niece) and a few extra walnuts to my food plan yesterday since I did an eight mile hike and wanted to ensure no bonking. Weight is down a little more. The hike was actually easy and we saw some very cool petroglyphs. The temperature was a record heat for us. I think it hit 83 degrees . . . in December. I took my cooling towel with me to put on my neck for the second half of the hike since the heat can sometimes be a problem for me. I hiked with a couple who I hadn't seen in a few years so that was fun to catch up with them. Today I have a list of chores at home including cleaning my car, ironing, a little laundry and grocery shopping. I also hope to purchase my airline ticket and possibly make some small curtain/shades for a couple of small windows beside the from door. I'm hoping to keep Otis from seeing out so he doesn't have to bark at anything he sees including the neighbors backing out of their driveway.

Bill Yuck, mud in the cold weather does not sound fun, but it must have been for dgd. I bet the Zoom presentation was very interesting. The book looks really good.

GardenerJoy. Congratulations on meeting your increased exercise time goal. Also, congrats for leaving the market with no chocolate.

Penny. Holy moly I sure hope the car wasn't crushed. I think it took less than three weeks for me to get my passport. I was really pleasantly surprised.

Curlyjax. Hopefully yesterday's training was a little better. On the other hand maybe you got more Christmas planning done.

Maryann I hope you've had a great time in Michigan.

Onebyone. How's it going?

curlyjax 12-02-2021 07:35 AM

Excitement yesterday was learning that DD has lost her wallet, groan, with all sorts of important things in it. She thinks she left it at a store; I don’t understand how she walked out without knowing where it was, as she usually carries it in her hand. It makes me wonder if its in her apt somewhere. The best case scenario is that she replaces everything and it turns up later on, so i’m hoping for that. Anyhow, she’s in the middle of preparing for finals too so its bad timing.
I’m feeling stressed about it and there’s a limit to what I can do to help, but I did not eat over it. I woke up today feeling hungry so yay for that. I also did my weights, and started working on my Christmas cards.
Gardenerjoy- great job for being able to leave a chocolate treat alone. I’ve been thinking about making christmas cookies early and freezing them, but I doubt I would be able to stay out of them, so maybe not.
Karen-so cool that you can look back to four years ago on Myfitness app. Great that you haven’t wanted to eat off plan.
Penny-oh dear, sorry about the car. Puttering around making soup sounds like a great day.
Bill-another interesting book! I’m sure DW will love it. The innate destructive tendencies of little boys does make me laugh.

gardenerjoy 12-02-2021 11:51 AM

The weather was so gorgeous yesterday that I took two walks, getting me off to a quick start on my December exercise goal of 1600 minutes.

CREDIT for taking a bit of time this morning to map out my yoga and strength-training plans for December. This month's theme is mood-boosting! That seemed appropriate for the season of merriment and, also, for the darkest month of the year. I'm going to repeat some routines that have boosted my mood in the past. Plus, I found some routines on YouTube that I think will work.

One helpful resource is an exercise diary that I started in September. It evolved in an unexpected direction. Rather than a full accounting of my exercise, it turned into commentary about the different yoga routines as I try them. So, it was easy to find the ones that boosted my mood.

Exercise +85, 85/1600 minutes for December

crystalliner 12-02-2021 11:56 AM

Gardnerjoy you do so well

Penny. 12-02-2021 02:59 PM

Good morning!

Maintenance day yesterday and weight is the same. I'm feeling pretty good today on my third day off, so I'm going to aim for a low calorie day.

Also, my new car should be all fixed up by the end of the day. It was the starter but the mechanic shops always try to add on anything they can: oil change, wipers, brakes, shocks. I have trust issues.

Karen, I bought some of that window cling to cover the lower part of the front window. There are all kinds of patterns that look like stained glass. Curtains will be nice. I feel bad taking the dog's view away but the barking at every walker is too much.

Curly, the feeling of a lost wallet is the worst! I had one stolen out of the back pocket of my backpack while shopping when I was younger.

Joy, journaling sounds like it's been very helpful. Congrats again on meeting your November goals.

Bill, what are you eating with your guac? Anything good?

onebyone 12-03-2021 01:09 AM

better check in

Hi Coaches

I'm just watching local news and a panel of Dr's are discussing booster shots for the over 50's brought into focus by the slow and steady rise of Omicron.

I don't think there could have been a better name for a virus than Omicron.

I am wondering how many shots I will end up having. Well I am wondering and I am sure everyone else is wondering too. Right now I am enjoying life in pretty much the same way and at the same.pace as I was pre-covid. 75.9% of us are vaccinated in the province and we are required to wear masks indoors. Social distancing is a bit lax now but there are vaccine passports we.need to show to.go and eat somewhere or to see an event or something. I mostly feel pretty relaxed with a few panicky moments from time to time. Why am I talking about this? ugh. Cause I watched the news!

And in *my* world my food is unsettled.I have not accepted following my foodplan. What am I waiting for I ask? An invitation? My muddled brain will lead me down the sweet path of least resistance at every turn. Luckily I get to try again. My weight is neither up nor down and for that I am grateful.

My teaching and my work schedule is finally over the craziness hump.
Here's a link to one of the projects I am involved in that's wrapping up.

PRNT Collective Tarot Kickstarter

We completed colouring 4 decks of cards, we added the 24k gold leaf to one set of cards (going to a goldsmith no less) and we selected the 3 card and single cards for those who pledged at that level.
What we didn't do was sign them all! Can you believe it? So once signed on Saturday they will be mailed. Another successful art adventure in a year of several of them!

So.much success in so many areas but not in the weightloss battle. Even the back has healed!

I am glad I am not over 300lb. I have stayed away from that number which scares the bejesus out of me just seeing me write that down. Maybe I need to do that everyday as motivation!

I believe I will lose this weight. Maybe once my
6 week break begins mid month. I am.anxious to engage in my January Days of Sloth holiday season! Just have to get through the other stuff that comes before :hat:, :cofdate: , and :hohoho:.

Have a good night.

BillBlueEyes 12-03-2021 06:02 AM

Friday - Neon lights first publicly displayed (1910, Paris Auto Show)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got the old Ea-Z-Boy recliner down the stairs to make room for the new one arriving today. Wasn't that hard; it slid down nicely on one side. Did no damage to the walls or stairs. It sits in the living room. I'll replace one broken screw so that it isn't quite as wonky and then figure out how to send it to its next owner. I've accepted that it's leaving my life. Suspect that I'll be even more sure of that once I've sat for a spell in the new one. The directions to us were clear: remove all throw rugs; remove all furniture and electronics in the path to where it's to be left. We're ready.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was eaten from trays on our computers as we followed a Zoom lecture about live in the Abyss. (Our second ocean lecture in two days.) Heard some real science being done, much of the DNA analysis of species was too detailed to grasp in a single lecture. Noted that the Orange Roughy lives for 30 years and reproduces slowly. We're scooping them up faster than they can grow back. But, since they don't have big brown eyes, it's hard to get folks concerned. All this I watched while eating grilled salmon. Felt like a hypocrite.

onebyone - Congrats for pulling off your print collective Tarot Card Kickstarter. Just amazing that you hired a goldsmith to apply the gold leaf. Can't wait to see them. Good attitude, "Luckily I get to try again."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Two walks sounds like a good day. Neat that your exercise journal is serving you so well.

Karen (karenrn) - Love that you're seeing petroglyphs. I have a friend who is photographing them for a museum in an effort to preserve them from destruction by - not the weather - humans.

curlyjax - Ouch for your DD's lost wallet - that's just one of the worst events to recover from with a zillion phone calls and cancellations.

Penny. - Sounds like good news about your car. Still keeping my fingers crossed. I eat the guacamole with tortilla chips - not the most healthy food in the world. Good news: it's now gone.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

For example, when Grace found herself taking a second helping of ice cream one night, she pulled out the card. This is how she answered the questions: . . .
  • What was the situation, and what were my sabotaging thoughts? I finished eating ice cream, I thought, That was good ... I really want more ... I just can't resist.

karenrn 12-03-2021 07:22 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is holding. I'm hoping to be in the 130's in the next few days. I've tried on more clothes in my closet and they are fitting. I did purchase a ticket to Thailand, ironed, cleaned the car and did some grocery shopping. Midday a friend messaged to see if I wanted to go to House of Gucci, so I did. I didn't know the story so it was interesting and I wanted to see how Lady Gaga did. I enjoyed it, but then again I like most movies. I certainly wouldn't put it on your list Bill. Today I'm meeting the same friend for a 4 1/2 mile hike that usually takes about 90 minutes. I'm pretty sure it will be a full two hours as she is pretty slow these days, but I love visiting with her. She started a cookie baking business when her social life shut down due to the pandemic. She is always careful about her food and is slender. I can't say that would have been the case for me. I'm not even excited to do Christmas baking this year, but I'll do some. My resistance muscle will get a work out.

Bill. I hope you really like your new recliner after all the work to clear the way for it.

Onebyone. Yes I expect the virus is here to stay. I'm hoping the new mutation is less virulent and eventually it becomes like the common cold. Such a hassle though with travel. Glad to hear your back is better and you're over the craziness hump with work. Maybe it will be easier to be on your food plan without so many other things going on.

Penny. I'm glad you're finally feeling better after 3 days off. Otis will still have a view when he lays on the top of the couch and looks out the windows, but at least he won't walk to the door and bark.

GardnerJoy Your exercise journal sounds like a really good idea.

Curlyjax I'm hoping your post today will say that dd found her wallet. Such a hassle. I've always been so lucky, even when I've left my entire purse in a grocery shopping cart.

Waving to Maryann.

curlyjax 12-03-2021 07:40 AM

Wierd thing: I went to another town's library after work to pick up a DVD I ordered (we have access to two different library networks that incorporate over lots of towns, its awesome!) and discovered I didn't have the correct card. "no problem, you can just show us your drivers license" they chirped. So I tore my purse apart, to discover that my drivers license is missing! It must be in my house somewhere, or possibly at work in a drawer if I left my purse open. I always keep it in my purse, unlike my second library card which I rarely use. So like daughter like mother I guess! I went to visit my widow friend after the library trip and hung out with her which redeemed the evening. Foodwise I must have undereaten calories because I wound up being so hungry when I went to bed that I had to have a snack.
Today's excitement will be getting a haircut and finding my license hopefully.
Gardenerjoy- mood boosting routines are a great choice for this time of year. Interesting that some are more so than others.
Penny-yay for the car being fixed up. I know what you mean about mechanics- I'm so glad to have a shop that I trust now.
Onebyone-very cool tarot cards! So glad your back is feeling better, that will help you feel better and more motivated all around I'm sure.
Bill-good for you for clearing out the old to make room for the new.
Karen- you snuck in just when I finished writing! Your friend has amazing control to start a cookie business and still stay slender! yay for that thailand ticket, such fun to look forward to.

Penny. 12-03-2021 11:52 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was not weightloss calories. I woke up feeling inflammation in my hands and weight is up again. Bread is the culprit. Well, bread and I. We work together as a team. :lol:

Karen, you're hitting my happy weight and I'm so envious! Good job.

BillBlueEyes 12-04-2021 08:02 AM

Saturday - Pioneer Venus 1 goes into orbit around Venus (1978)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement: The new recliner chair arrived in the morning. Carried upstairs by one guy who just put it atop his head. Acted as if it were an easy task. The second man carried the back - a very light part. They were pleased that the spot was cleared and the route was cleared. I spent the morning being a bad sport noting all the ways that the new chair wasn't like the old one. DW teased me that the old chair and I had grown into each other - like an old pair of shoes. I've gradually grown more accepting. The electric recline feature annoys me because I have to wait a few seconds for it to do the job. With the old lever, I just yanked it up.

Exercise was walking in the cold, CREDIT moi, to a Walgreens Pharmacy that had been giving COVID booster shots to walk-ups. No more. It's a two week wait for an appointment. The CVS Pharmacies around here are so overbooked that I can't even get an appointment. I'll keep working the system. Feel bummed that I got delayed by needing a replacement Medicare Card when I tried to get the booster weeks ago. I got my Moxie back by completing the online forms for next year's parking stickers for both our cars. Found it easier to go outside to copy the license plate number of the Toyota rather than dig through the paperwork to get it. Then remembered that I do this every year, LOL. So, wait for it . . . I wrote it down this year so I'll be ready for 2023. Feel like future-man.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for the warning; I'll skip House of Gucci. I'd never be able to have a cookie baking business; I'd gobble non-stop.

curlyjax - Hope you quickly find your driver's license - pretty critical item. So glad that there's another person on planet earth who still uses DVDs to watch videos. My kids tease me for being so old-fashioned.

Penny. - LMAO at "bread and I. We work together as a team." Nothing better than having a co-conspirator.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

For example, when Grace found herself taking a second helping of ice cream one night, she pulled out the card. This is how she answered the questions: . . .
  • Did I eat this food slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite? No, I ate it standing at the kitchen counter, spooning the ice cream directly from the container. I definitely didn't fully taste it or enjoy it.

curlyjax 12-04-2021 10:11 AM

My daughter found her wallet thank goodness! At her apt, where I suspected it was. I still haven't found my license or my other library card, even after cleaning up my room and clearing out the bureau drawer that I tend to dump stuff in. I ordered a new one- I did find my expired license so hopefully I can use that at the library. My bedroom looks much better but I got congested after stirring up so much dust and didn't sleep well. Lesson learned; use one of my masks next time I'm sorting things out. I 'm listening to an audiobook which makes it much more enjoyable: One of MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. A cosy mystery set in the Cotswolds.
I was really craving a treat so I went ahead and bought it some ice cream and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now back to better eating.
I have no plans this weekend thus far and will spend time puttering about and getting some errands done. My haircut is a bit too short but that means I can go even longer until the next one.
Bill-yes, I still use DVDs too. Some movies aren't streamable, or they're too new and pricey, when I can get it free at the library. Good luck in making friends with the new chair.
Penny- I hear you about bread. Especially warm bread, yum.

Penny. 12-04-2021 10:42 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday included some extra eating yet again. It's like trying to jump into a double jump rope and I can't seem to get started. Also, the cycling exercise has fallen off.

My four days off are completed and my work day looks reasonable today. The new little car was not ready on Thursday and it turns out the shop is only open Mon-Thurs. Patiently waiting to hopefully hear something on Monday.

Curly, yay for your daughter's wallet showing up.

Bill, Lol at the slow electric recline. It needs a turbo mode.

karenrn 12-04-2021 03:16 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

Just home from a 9 mile hike with a group and friend, Amy. The first part was a strenuous climb and then down the other side. However the remaining was just a little up and down completing a loop and not strenuous except that is was a bit long. Still finding the balance with food. I did pretty well with just a tiny little extra snack. Once I got home I had my regular lunch and I'm just fine. I'll be jumping in the shower soon and then have a Zoom happy hour with former co-workers at 4. I'll be drinking my LaCroix.

Penny Sometimes it is a bit difficult to get started. I hope all your workdays are more reasonable than that last bit.

Curlyjax I'm glad to hear your daughter found her wallet. Are you sure your things aren't in a pocket? I say that because I often put my license and a debit card in the pocket of my hiking shorts and then forget to take them out when I get home. I end up at the store having to use a Visa to buy the groceries.

Bill I keep a photo of my car license under notes on my phone. I always need it to register at a hotel and it's easy to find. I am with you, not cookie baking business at my house. I'm thinking even Christmas baking will be a challenge.

gardenerjoy 12-04-2021 05:30 PM

I suddenly seem to have lost control of my mornings. I suppose that's not too surprising, considering that most of November I started writing when I first got up -- sometimes as early as 4:30am. It's going to take an adjustment to figure out what my new normal is.

We had a breakthrough yesterday on family and estate stuff. DH and his brother had two long phone conversations in which they discovered (as sometimes happens when you actually talk) that they were on the same page on every single important issue. They work well together when they're on the same page, so this bodes well for the next few months.

Exercise +75, 200/1600 minutes for December

BillBlueEyes 12-05-2021 07:24 AM

Sunday - New York City bans trans fats at restaurants (2006)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the dish that we call "burger, beans, and rice" that's both filling and a comfort food. And, there's one or two repeat meals from the leftovers.

Excitement was visiting a brick-and-mortar library to pick up an ordered book about the discovery of "Animalcules" in the early 1700's by Antonie van Leeuwenhoek in Holland. Hoped for lots of his drawing of the little beasties. Weren't that many in the book; the images in that link above contain more. It's just so hard to get in my brain that folks had no idea of little living things until the microscope got developed. Leeuwenhoek is now known as "the Father of Microbiology" and high school kids commonly look at what's growing in pond water.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos to your DH and his brother for working things out. Sounds like your contribution to keeping things calm until they could do this has paid off.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat idea to keep a photo of your car license plate under notes in your phone. I'm not using that feature of my phone; gotta get on it. Also neat to show up at a happy hour with your LaCroix.

curlyjax - So glad that your DD found her wallet before killing herself with cancellations. Congrats for the acceptance that a haircut that's too short just means that you'll go longer until the next one.

Penny. - Ouch for the image, "It's like trying to jump into a double jump rope." Glad that four days off gave you some reprieve.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

• How do I feel now that I've given in? Guilty and disappointed.

curlyjax 12-05-2021 08:52 AM

I didn't get much done yesterday other than the dump run and picking up my DVD Run, Fatboy, Run which I enjoyed because I like the british actor Simon Pegg-its a silly movie though. I was craving breakfast out and indulged in an omelette and carbs, and brought half the omelette home for later. I am thoroughly enjoying having the weekend to myself. Today my plans are: make a food plan for the week and buy ingredients, do some prep cooking, drop off agency gifts at the church collection site, drop by Kohls to use my 30.00 Kohls cash, swing by bookstore to buy a calendar, and tour the Y which I'm thinking of joining. Whew! And stay reasonably on plan.
Bill-yay for comfort dinners that provide leftovers.
Gardenerjoy-yikes, 4:30 is early. hope you find a slightly later new normal!
Karen-I looked thru all my pockets just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it tipped out of my purse at home somewhere. It will show up when its ready:)
Penny- I hear you on the "having trouble getting started bit". Hope work wasn't too tiring.

maryann 12-05-2021 10:26 AM

Good Morning from Michigan. I finished my fast on Friday. Thank goodness. Yesterday’s eating needed a big buffer from the 70s but oh so delicious. Great to see DS . We are going to see the Gerald Ford Library and the. DS Pops concert. He plays in the second violin section. Watched Michigan clinch the Bug Ten Title last night. Fun vacation. Bought some really beautiful and unique pieces of clothing. Way over did it with cost but DH was there. We had fun.

gardenerjoy 12-05-2021 11:21 AM

I enjoyed our virtual TGIO party -- NaNoWriMo's Thank Goodness It's Over. Traditionally, this was an afternoon potluck of junk food and board games.

For the virtual party, We used jackbox.tv for games. I didn't do particularly well. My one success was to get a 100% best answer vote from our participants for "Who would be the most surprising person to be found to be the Zodiac Killer?" I said Betty White -- ha!

The best part of a virtual party was that I didn't have to navigate the food table!

Exercise +30, 230/1600 minutes for December

karenrn 12-05-2021 03:25 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. Food was on plan yesterday, weight stable. I hiked this morning after waking up at 3 and spending some time reading. I just woke up from a nap though while dh was at the golf course practicing. Heading out the door now to pick up a friend from the airport. More tomorrow.

BillBlueEyes 12-06-2021 06:47 AM

Monday - Harriet Tubman escapes slavery for the 2nd and final time (1849, Maryland)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Fun trip to REI in my quest for casual, waterproof, slip-on, boots for shoveling snow. No joy. REI sells serious boots for serious hikers. They sent me home with a reference to a catalog listing for a pair that might satisfy me. The saleslady explained that supply chain issues was the cause of them not being in the store. I casually mentioned that that was just as bad as trying to buy a car. Ouch! Touched a nerve. Seems that her DH has been trying to buy a car for a year without success. Has to keep pumping money into a "piece of cr*p" that the mechanic says isn't worth fixing. Keep running into folks who can't buy cars. Did buy a bag full of socks, hat, and gloves - mostly for DW. Socks were 30% off. Felt like I'd won the lottery.

Exercise was walking with DW, DS, and (20 mo) DFGD to a playground. I can see the increase in leg strength each week. She clearly said "All done" when finished with a snack that DS had given her - one of the first clear English expressions from her that we understood.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at Betty White as the Zodiac Killer. I do understand the benefit of Zoom of not having "to navigate the food table!"

maryann - Waving back toward Michigan. Great to be there for cinching the Big Ten Title. So neat that you'll get to hear your DS perform in the Pops concert.

Karen (karenrn) - 3 a.m. is such a peaceful time to read - guaranteed no distractions.

curlyjax - Good grief! Your Fatboy: The Movie, is real. Give the guy credit for letting all those scenes be filmed. I cringed at the scene in the trailer where his newly arrived trainer tossed all his boxes of cereals. Kudos for bringing home half of that omelette.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

• Had I read my Response Cards and Advantages Deck today? Yes, in the morning.

curlyjax 12-06-2021 07:34 AM

I got a lot done yesterday. The YMCA that i'm considering joining is newly renovated and beautiful. It offers a lot of free classes; I'm particularly interested in a Sunday morning yoga one. I think I will join after the holidays. The kids both have memberships to cheap places, but I want a pool. Since I'm only working 30 hours, I can head over after work too. It will be a good mood lifter as well as good for me physically.
I bought groceries and made chili, and got the lights put up on the tree. Cashed in my Kohls cash for two shirts, and dropped off my gifts at church. For relaxation I sorted thru a bunch of coins while listening to an audiobook, I must have not had enough calories as I ended up quite hungry and needing an extra snack at night.
Maryann: sounds like you're having a great time in MI.
Karen-wow that is early to hike! I would definitely need a nap after that.
Gardenerjoy-that's the beauty of virtual meetings indeed, no food.
Bill- Actually the movie I rented is British and called Run, Fatboy, Run. The trailer doesn't really show what its about and I can't get it to link anyhow. It's silly but I like the actor. Scary that there's a shortage on boots already.

karenrn 12-06-2021 08:15 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday; still waiting for the next drop in weight. I stopped at the store yesterday to buy the other ingredients I need for Buttery Cashew Brittle and more Christmas cards. I figured if I did those errands I won't even need to leave the house today except for walking Otis. I purchased the raw cashews from Amazon because they seem to be nicer and the raw ones aren't always available here.

I just finished applying for my Thailand Pass which entails uploading my Passport, vaccine information and copy of the card, travel insurance to be sure I have $50,000 for Covid illness, flight information, and a one day hotel stay for quarantine while my covid test is administered and results received. I had saved all the items I scanned as PDF files, but they had to be changed to JPEG. It wasn't difficult once I figured out what to do, but I wish I were a little more familiar with some of this. The only hoop left to jump through will be to get a PCR Covid test a couple days before I leave and purchase a test to use before I return to the states. Travel isn't so easy these days, but I'm afraid if I wait until it is I'll be too old to travel.

Curlyjax. It sounds like you had a productive day yesterday. The Y sounds really nice and it's great that you have shorter days so you can go more often. I didn't get up to hike that early. Unfortunately I just wake up way to early sometimes.

Bill. Our REI has been low on stock too. I thought maybe part of it is that so many people are buying on line, so they don't bring things to the store from the warehouse. I need some new hiking shoes/trail runners and I think I'll just buy from REI online.

Gardener Joy. The virtual get togethers do have that benefit or not being around the food. It does seem kind of nice to have some food prepared by someone other than me though.

Maryann. Your Michigan trip sounds really great. What clothing items did you find?

Waving to Penny and Onebyone.

gardenerjoy 12-06-2021 10:47 AM

I ended up not feeling very good yesterday, which limited my options for exercise but increased my willingness to eat less than my food plan. I think it's just the weird weather and multiple fronts coming through. It messes with my sinuses, causing something akin to vertigo, causing an unhappy tummy.

Exercise +20, 250/1600 minutes for December

maryann 12-06-2021 11:45 AM

I’m in the airport for the long trek home. The orchestra concert was first rate. Just fantastic - professional level for amateurs who meet in Sundays. Awesome. DS picked up his new Bronco - a year incoming. So relieved. His old car had terrible visibility in weather. I am a little low to be leaving him.

Food was reasonable with no binges.

Karen: I found to pairs of non traditional work pants that are as comfortable as sweats. They are in the Japanese fashion of deeply extended rise almost skirt like. Beautiful hand patched work and unusual jewelry on some shirts and jackets. I am broadening what I wear to find “me” and I love supporting small batch artists. It is an expensive habit though.

wave to all

Penny. 12-06-2021 01:37 PM

Good morning!

I had lunch out with a friend and overate. Weight jumped into serious no no territory. Today's plan is to add a written plan instead of just using an app.

Have a good day!

BillBlueEyes 12-07-2021 05:43 AM

Tuesday - Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (1941)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent the day trying to figure out my new recliner. Seems that the feature that I most want just isn't there: recline the back. The second button moves only the headrest - I suppose to make it easier to read when fully reclined. The first button extends the foot rest and then reclines the back - they're linked together. Wimpy design in my humble opinion. Made my peace with DW by keeping the old La-Z-Boy in the living room moving the rarely used rocking chair out. Made arrangements to return the new recliner but only for a store credit to be spent in 30 days. They might not have a chair that I want. [/Curmudgeon rant]

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner spent discussing how to grow ferns from spores. Few folks have done this; DW is one. It's a two-stage process: first, in a long process, the nearly invisible spores grows into prothallia; then the prothalia quickly emit sperm and eggs that merge to grow into a fern. Described well here for the seriously interested. I'm not a gardener but my head now contains a totally unusable piece of information - probably displacing the name of a fish, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for getting hit by the weather. Wish we had someone on this forum from Hawaii to tell us what it's like out there in paradise under snow.

maryann - Neat that your DS finally got his Bronco - long wait for that. Concert sounds terrific.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for jumping through so many hoops to get permission to begin to think of flying to Thailand. I'm so glad that you don't make Buttery Cashew Brittle near me, LOL.

curlyjax - Sounds like you had a productive day. LMAO at the trailer to Run, Fatboy, Run. Simon Pegg makes me laugh even before he speaks.

Penny. - Lunch with a friend is always good for the spirits.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

• Did I try any other Resistance Techniques? No.

curlyjax 12-07-2021 07:33 AM

I broke down and got into the candy at work, caused by incredible boredom of the workshop. 4 more hours today and then its done. Too much sitting in general, and then I was mopey at home and didn't feel like doing anything. I'm feeling hunger more often but not losing any weight; clearly I need to adjust something. I'm meeting a friend for dinner tonight hopefully so that will perk me up at least.
I'm sitting in my livingroom as I type this, with the christmas tree lights on. It's so festive and calming. I'll have to remember to just sit in the dark with the lights on at night, its a lovely feeling.
Karen-how exciting to have concrete plans for Thailand! Travel does seem so much more challenging these days, but it will be worth it I'm sure.
Maryann-sounds like you've had a lovely trip. I spoke to my friend in northern MI the other day and he said he had 4 inches of snow, ugh.
Penny-written plan is a great idea, I need to get back to that too and stick with it.
Gardenerjoy-hope you're feeling better- something like vertigo sounds hard.
Bill-bummer that the new recliner isn't fitting the need. Sometimes they change designs for the worse, for sure.

karenrn 12-07-2021 09:27 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and I'm still waiting for the next little drop in weight. I wrote most of the Christmas cards yesterday and finished them this morning. We have cut down, but still send 65 or so. I made two batches of Buttery Cashew Brittle yesterday and one more this morning. I decided since I don't need to leave to meet the hiking group until 8, I could get some things done around here. Our friend came over yesterday afternoon and took some photos of us and Otis of course. I had some printed and will pick them up today to put in some of the cards. Hopefully I can get the cards mailed today along with a small package to my brother. The package is my Dad's old little engineering tools. There are some small sharp items in there so he was worried about taking them in his carry on luggage.

Curlyjax I am so glad I don't have to be around the food at work anymore. I find that if I don't take a bite of the Buttery Cashew brittle I'm fine, but luckily it is just one item . . .so far.

Bill I'm so sorry about your recliner. What a bummer! I hope there are enough in the store for you to really know how each one works. I'm not just beginning to think about Thailand; I leave 1/16 and return 2/4. I think we're going to take a road trip to see girlfriends grandmother who raised her. Apparently it is a 10 hour drive, but I think that would be really fun.

Penny. I found a written plan worked very well. Currently I just have an outline of what macros to eat and food lists for each, but that is also working.

Maryann. The new clothing sounds very fun. I find I'm most comfortable in pretty conservative styles and in fact that would work better in a older climate, but in truth I'm often in my hiking things.

GardenerJoy I hope you're feeling much better today.

Well, time to get finished getting ready to go hiking and get Otis out one more time.

Penny. 12-07-2021 10:18 AM

Good morning!

Busy, busy day yesterday with errands. I had lunch out and calories ended up in the 1500 range. No loss with that.

The new little car is home and working, I picked up a real tree (first in many years), and a sweet tree stand with a super easy foot pedal for tightening around the tree. I'm glad to see that process has improved.

Have a great day, everyone!

gardenerjoy 12-07-2021 01:32 PM

I am feeling much better -- thanks, everyone. Our next couple of weeks are going to be dizzying in the rise and fall of temperatures. It's time to make a habit of the self-massage technique that keeps everything draining well.

Today's our 30th wedding anniversary. In other circumstances, we might have found more adventurous ways to celebrate. Under the current circumstances, we decided to stay home, cooking food that we know that we like and watching a movie on a TV with a better sound system than even the most luxurious hotel room. We're happy about it!

Exercise +55, 305/1600 minutes for December

BillBlueEyes 12-08-2021 07:43 AM

Wednesday - RIP rock musician John Lennon (1980, NY City)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was buying a Douglas Fir Christmas Tree; our favorite kind. We're down to merely six feet height; can touch the top and install its star without a ladder. Acting like old people, LOL. Smarting a bit at $70 but I knew in advance that they're off the wall expensive this year. And, I read, in some places fewer choices than prior years. Got it from the same guy we've purchased from for the last 35 years. His kids who used to run around under foot now load the trees onto our car. The tree stands, happily, outside in the beat up aluminum pan from our basement that only serves that singular purpose once a year.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was reheated dahl with tortilla chips - an easy fix. DW managed to come home from Whole Foods with this year's bright red Poinsettia. A tradition here. The Amaryllis was brought inside, potted up, and set in a window to slowly grow throughout the season. We're getting into the mood.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy Wedding Anniversary. May you have many, many more. Ouch that the pandemic precludes a nice dinner out.

Karen (karenrn) - Your trip to Thailand sounds better each time you write. Three weeks is a good, long visit.

curlyjax - Lovely image of you sitting in your living room with the lights on your tree. It's a crime that so much money and time is spent on workshops that could have been used to invigorate folks and helpfully introduce them to each other's experiences.

Penny. - Congrats for your persistence getting your new car working. Glad to read a happy ending. Jealous of your tree stand with a foot pedal. We're still use one from the Neanderthal era that takes two folks twisting screws and feeling annoyed.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

• How can I avoid this situation in the future? I can read my Advantages Deck before having this snack at night to remind myself why it's worth it not to eat more. And then, once I'm finished, I can immediately wash my bowl and spoon, brush my teeth, and get involved in something else. If I'm too tempted next time, I can just throw away the rest of the pint of ice cream. Better wasted in the trash than in my body.

curlyjax 12-08-2021 07:57 AM

Bad day of eating yesterday at work but I didn’t end up going out for dinner with friend so I ate less at the end of the night. I went to a nearby park for a walk and felt much better mentally afterwards. I also got my weights done. I wanted to get something done at home so I sorted thru some recipes and cookbooks while listening to my audiobook. This might be the way to go thru boring paperwork; have something on that keeps me focused.
My heel is killing me this morning-I’m not sure if it was the walk or the self massager thing I used; you can really dig in on the painful spots, which seems like it should help but maybe not.
Gardenerjoy-congrats on 30 years! That sounds like a very nice way to celebrate.
Penny- glad the car is working. I’m intrigued by the foot pedal tree stand, i’m still using the system of painstakingly adjusting the screws (or rather DS is!)
Karen-wow, that’s a lot of cards! Great that they’re done.
Bill-great that you're getting into the Christmas spirit with all sorts of nature in the house! That reminds me, I should get a poinsetta or two.