Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #121  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Maintenance eating and weight. I went to look at a Jetta this morning but didn't love it. I'm going to look at a Yaris tomorrow.

Our grocery store gave out free turkeys so we are cooking up a free turkey today amongst other things.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 11-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - 1st lion exhibited in America (1716, Boston)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Celebrated Thanksgiving with a pot roast dinner for two. A lovely dinner. Both kids were at their in-laws in calculated partial family isolation. Pictures of the kids were swapped. The house smelled delicious all day after the pot roast was first browned in bacon fat. The smell still lingers. I celebrate that I ate a modest amount of food, CREDIT moi. Including a smallish serving of the apple crisp made with some Massachusetts apples picked by a neighbor.

Exercise was a ninety minute walk in the Middlesex Fells Reservation, CREDIT moi. Passed a few folks out with their leashed dogs - all wishing us "Happy Thanksgiving" as we walked by. The area is big enough that we'd chosen a corner where we'd never walked before. Even though it's adjacent to a major highway, within five minutes it feels like out in the wilderness. Encountered little ecosystems here and there thriving as if they were in a forest, including a wonderful stand of (appropriately winter-barren) Staghorn sumac atop a small hill that I'd insisted we climb as if we'd find something. (It helps to hike with a gardener to identify stuff, LOL.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the tip to An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz. Gotta add that to my list. I'm so ill-informed about that part of our history.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, smart to get the garlic out of the oven before the apple/cranberry crisp goes in. Thanks for the Cranberry Chutney recipe. DW read me her version; quite different. Offered to find me a dozen more different versions. She said that vinegar and sugar are the two ingredients required to use the word chutney.

curlyjax - Can a puppy ever dominate a scene. Ouch for the oven spill - know they can be a pain to clean up.

Penny. - Congrats for continuing your search for a car. I agree, it gotta feel right.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 9 Get Back on Track - Right Away

I still make mistakes from time to time. But I limit them and get back on track right away. Expect to make mistakes from time to time and expect to use all of your skills so you can get back on track right away, too.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 103.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Thanksgiving went well. I managed to clean up the oven well enough that it didn't smoke while cooking other stuff. The turkey came out rather well, and we had a nice quiet meal. I whipped together a tollhouse pie to bring to my friend's house, and we went over for a few hours of dessert and playing cards. I'm thinking I may order a ready made dinner for Christmas because it is a lot of work. Today is taking apart the turkey and maybe making turkey soup- or at least the stock-and taking it easy. I'm so glad to have a few days to relax with no formal plans. I'll probably get the tree too while DS is here to help me.
Karen-that chutney looks delicious! DS helped a little with peeling potatoes etc but neither of them really cook.
Bill-The roast sounds great and i'm sure you'll have fabulous leftovers!
Wave to everyone else!
Old 11-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #124  
Green Tomatoes

I had a good quiet day. The call with DH's family was fine. It didn't feel tension-free, but none of the tensions rose to the surface. I'm not sure that's entirely healthy, but it's not my place to judge, so I don't need to spend my energy on figuring that out.

Instead, I spent the morning giving away an old large Christmas tree that we won't use again. Someone asked for one on the local Buy Nothing group. That's a feel-good way to start the season of giving!

Exercise +45, 1305/1500 minutes for November
Old 11-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 173/162/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Finally home alone after three days of holidaying. Food was pretty disastrous. It felt like the old days when I was seemingly trying to make myself sick. Lots of babies which I loved but a niece and nephew came from Washington. The gran niece baby was sick and tested positive for COVID at Urgent care. Turns out none of them are vaccinated which is outrageous because my niece is a physical therapist at a VA!!!!!!!!. My Mom was supposed to join us but I told her to stay home. The baby had been playing with everyone and no one was masked. GOOD GRIEF!! and I am the least paranoid person I know about COVID but I know I am not going endanger our old folks. Even I could not believe it. Went to see Encanto, the new Disney movie. Graphic art was beautiful but the music/lyrics were terrible and the plot threadbare. Hmmm. . . I figure I needed a night home alone to get back in the positive mood. I declare my food program begins this moment. I want to feel healthy again with my normal food program.

Wave to all.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:20 AM   #126  

Late check-in. Maintenance continues. I did buy a tiny little Toyota Yaris today and we had to buy a new battery for it. Hopefully that's all it needs. The price was right and it is a fun little car to drive.

Maryann, so sorry to hear some family are sick. I hope they're okay and that it didn't spread to all of you. We had quite a few employees at my hospital who did not want the vaccine but the mandate pushed most of them into it. It does boggle the mind.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #127  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Chemist Alfred Nobel's will establishes the Nobel Prize (1895, Sweden)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - After a simple Thanksgiving Day alone, we had two family events with many folks. One was a simple afternoon time so that the DGD and DFGD could play together. They started shyly, then dove directly into the cousins mode of being besties - doing everything they could to destroy my DD's house, LOL. Then we all moved on to a larger family birthday party for an 81-year-old. The hostess had cleverly saved the large balloons from her DD's 18th birthday party and just reversed them. Cracked me up.

Eating was larger than normal; all according to plan - a fat plan under the circumstances. I never had seconds. Didn't eat to stuff myself. So, CREDIT moi for not being out of control bad - just being large. Saw a distant relative that I hadn't seen in decades. Felt good that we both remembered the game I'd play with the bunch of them on my knee.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for giving away an old large Christmas tree just when it was needed by someone. That's just the best feeling. Glad that your DH's family can conduct a family Zoom without visible rancor.

maryann - Ouch for having to encounter those who just don't believe in caution in face of COVID. Love your review of the new Disney movie Encanto. FYI, today is the anniversary of the 2013 release of 'Frozen', "the highest-grossing animated film of all time." That one I did have to see with my DGD.

curlyjax - That tollhouse pie looks like a winner. Playing cards was such a big part of my childhood.

Penny. - Super Congrats for biting the bullet and getting your family a Toyota Yaris. I have a friend who loved theirs. It has a snazzy look.

Readers -
Quote:

To help yourself respond quickly to mistakes, I'd like you to use a Cheat Sheet every time you eat unplanned food. It will help you view mistakes as learning experiences rather than catastrophes.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #128  

S/C/G: ?/142/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I enjoyed my Thanksgiving meal including dessert, but no seconds and back on plan yesterday. We did have leftovers for dinner last night, but I just had turkey and vegetables. The vegetables were higher calorie than I would normally eat, but I kept the portions small. My db and sil wanted to sleep in yesterday, so I hiked with a friend. This morning db and sil will hike. We're doing a moderate one that they haven't done before and I'm sure they'll like it. Db went with dh for a long walk yesterday, so that was nice. Sil and I went to the Apple store so I could buy a new laptop, but they didn't have one in stock so I came home and ordered online. I'm having it delivered to the store and will pick it up. It's only a few miles away.

Ds arrived safely in Thailand and was happy with the hotel where he spent the one night quarantine while they got the results of his Covid PCR test. He gave me the information to stay there when I go in January and is paying for the night. It's a very nice five star hotel, so that will be a nice place to get a little sleep.

Dh put up our artificial tree yesterday afternoon and I'll decorate today. I pulled out some of the other decorations and put away the fall decorations. Since we don't have the weather cues the decorations help me know it's getting closer to Christmas.

Penny I hope the little car works well for you. Years ago I bought a Toyota Tercel from my ex-husband and it lasted thru him, me, our son, my father in law and several nieces and nephews. It must have had a million miles on it before it finally died.

Maryann I am so sorry about the Covid at your family gathering. I just don't get it. We have some anti vaxxers in our family too. Of course they have the right to choose, but I think they should also choose to stay home from large gatherings. I hope your night home alone will be just what you need to get back to feeling good.

Gardener Joy Nice that you were able to give a tree you don't want to someone who will be so happy to have it. As for the family call, probably better to have a little tension than an awkward phone call on Thanksgiving.

Curlyjax You're right, cooking Thanksgiving dinner is quite a lot of work. It's different when others are bringing dishes, but making it all yourself is work. I've heard good reports from lots of people who ordered their dinners. I'm planning on having some company for Christmas dinner and I think I need to learn how to use my microwave/convection oven as a convection oven. Timing was the most difficult for me now that I only have one regular oven.

Bill Pot roast sounds pretty darned good. It has been quite a long time since I've made one. No worry about timing with a pot roast meal. I didn't really know about what ingredients make it chutney, so thanks for that tidbit.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday was thanksgiving part two, with a lot of pie eating. I was waiting to get hungry again so I could eat more mashed potatoes and gravy, which I only eat on the holidays, or the few occasions when I make a roast beef. Today I will eat more sensibly.I did decide not to make whipped cream this year at least, so there are some calories I didn't ingest. I decided not to make the turkey soup as I don't have a larger enough stock pot, and I didn't want to cut the turkey up, too messy. I spent most of the day just relaxing and starting to plan for Christmas. I am now in action mode!
Gardenerjoy-nice way to start the season of giving, indeed!
Maryann- it is amazing how many people still aren't vaccinated. Glad you are doing okay after all that.
Penny- yay for finding a car you like; it is very cute.
Bill-the parties sound fun. Good job not getting seconds.
Karen-good reminder for the weather cues, I take that for granted having lived in 4 seasons my whole life. Sounds like a nice visit with family
Old 11-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #130  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default Catching up

Hello Coaches

I enjoyed reading what you've all be recently up to. I'm so grateful to find all of you here.

I'm returning with an intention to stick around as I need all the coaches here for support. I'm sitting here on my too soft, unsupportive-to-my-sore-back loveseat knowing I need to buckle down and commit to my plan of eating. I am 294/295lbs and my body is way out of whack. The strain of carrying the extra weight plus the stress of what I do during times of the year when I am required to step up and work longer hours plus turning another year older, threw my back out on Tuesday night as I was leaving to go teach a new class, in a new place, on a new topic. I had to cancel everything this week. I want to change. I'd like to avoid and prevent another week like this. I need this extra weight off my body. I need to strengthen my muscles and build endurance. And I want to say ASAP That's how I feel, but in reality it's a daily commitment to making and taking the actions that will bring me closer to the good health I desire. I have tried this week to stay on plan and I can't get a full day under my belt yet. But my food is improving and I will get there. Being here with you guys striving to be the best you can be will remind me to do that. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #131  
Green Tomatoes

Our festive meal went well yesterday -- perfectly grilled turkey drumsticks (thanks, DH!), roast green beans with a little onion dressing and a pinch of onion crisps (kind of all the flavors of a green bean casserole with less fat), and a sweet potato casserole that we both loved (from Home Chef, but it doesn't have any weird ingredients so I'll be able to re-create it).

I kept my serving sizes quite small and woke up hungry this morning. I consider that a win.

Exercise +25, 1330/1500 minutes for November

onebyone: Nice to see you here and thanks for modeling the daily commitment that is what it takes to live a healthy life.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #132  

Good morning, Coaches.

The scale is up five pounds today. Wow. No doubt justified from my unhealthy eating behavior. I ate my healthy breakfast. I will eat the same for lunch. Then I am off to Chinese food with DS and DH. It is a ritual. Still I do not have to overeat. I slept 12 hours yesterday. I am so grateful I sleep well but 12 hours seems ridiculous. I might have been fighting off one of the colds the babies had. In any case, it is what it is. I will go to the gym to stair climb.

onebyone: Welcome back. We all start with just one day,
Joy: I envy you waking up hungry. Hopefully that will be me tomorrow
Karen: Awesome about the new laptop. I love my Macbook pro.
Curleyjax: Yeah for action mode. I am going to leap into that today.
Penny: Congrats on the Yaris.
BBE:Yeah for how easy it is for littles to join together with energy.

Last edited by maryann; 11-27-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Red Planet Day: Spacecraft Mariner 4 launched (1964)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to attend several errands in one trip. At the brick-and-mortar bookstore, I just wallowed among all the new books with joy. Bought a hard copy of the just-released The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story by Nikole Hannah-Jones for a Christmas present for DW. (Strange that the Amazon site doesn't readily show the hard copy edition, just the Kindle. You have to dig and then they show that they have one copy.) It's a fat book so it'll take her a while to finish it before <blush> she offers it to me to read. Not like it's a new idea that we buy each other books that we fancy ourselves.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the second dip into the Pot Roast made for Thanksgiving. It's just as good as leftovers. It'd been predicted to serve two meals and a few sandwiches; we'll get three meals and a few sandwiches. The cranberry-orange relish is still exciting. Don't know why we only make it once a year. Still having the apple crumble for dessert, also. A small serving of dessert is such a good idea. However, it's hard to pretend that it's low calorie just because it contains apples.

onebyone - Thanks for the reminder, "it's a daily commitment to making and taking the actions that will bring me closer to the good health I desire." Ouch for the pain of having to cancel plans with a thrown-out back. Hope it settles down soon. So good to see you.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Sounds like a terrific modification of the standard too-much Thanksgiving menu. Never had grilled turkey drumsticks - must be yummy. Kudos for "woke up hungry this morning."

maryann - Love the notion of a Chinese food ritual. Suspect that your body needed twelve hours and just took it.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for "no seconds and back on plan". Your DS's one-day quarantine in Thailand seems like a bearable burden. I have a friend who had to quarantine for two weeks in Taiwan - a heavy cost. Love the story of your Toyota Tercel that lived through so many drivers.

curlyjax - Kudos for not making whipped cream - one small step at a time. A relaxing day is such a good idea.

Readers -
Quote:

Instead of feeling guilty and bad about yourself when you make a mistake, you will be able to benefit from the experience. The Cheat Sheet will help you evolve from thinking, I've blown it ... I might as well start over tomorrow, to thinking, Big deal, I made one mistake ... I deserve a lot of credit for stopping now ... This is a good sign that I'll be successful in the future.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #134  

Good morning!

Homemade pizza was had after a stressful workday. I'm sure weight is up but I didn't check. I'm up and ready for another workday after wanting to quit yesterday.

The new tiny car has a new battery but it wasn't the fix. It did need a new battery but it probably also needs a new starter. Appointment is Tuesday, which is also the day I got an appointment at the DMV for the title and registration. I was surprised to get a dmv appointment so quickly.

Bill, I love that you and dw exchange books for Christmas. Twice as nice since you'll read eachother's.

Karen, very cool about the Tercel. I hope I can get a car to last that long. Somehow they always get totaled before long in my possession: a lady hit the gas instead of the brake, another new dad fell asleep at the wheel, then I had my own dumb traffic mistakes.

Have a good day, everyone.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #135  

Good Morning, Coaches.
The scale is up another 3 pounds. I have adjusted ticker . It looks as if all of my losses have been erased. I know that in reality it is not true. It is a mixture of my body reacting to food it hasn't had forever, beginning to exercise again, and simple overindulgence. Today i start my five day modified fast. I have never started on a Sunday before but I have really wrecked my system. I have acid indigestion, cravings and eat while standing. Oh Well. I know the cure. If I start the fast today, I will be done by the time I take my Michigan flight on Friday. I have the power to get healthy again. I know how to do it. I have proven it to myself.

Wave to all.
Closed Thread