Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #76  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default the day that was

Coaches

Stayed 100% op today. A hard won victory. DH and I went and had breakfast on a patio at *real restaurant*. I was planning this all week when I heard the province was allowing patios to open up. I completely enjoyed all my food. Credit moi and then stuck to my plan for the rest of the day.

I kept my mind off of food by going to the studio today and trimming my 6 wheel-thrown bowls. I.am making a wind chime for a friend who traded with me for that last fall. My throwing isn't great.but something odd is happening between me.and the wheel. I am starting to imagine using it as a tool to create components or pieces for sculpture. It's an odd way to think about the wheel. I dont know where this is leading but it's going somewhere for sure.

billblueyes: omg! well that is one visit everyone is going to remember. I am really glad you weren't too badly hurt and that your brother was ok too. Your description of the hospital brought back memories of my hospital.visit last July. I had emergency laser eye surgery for retinal tears on DH'S birthday. Yikes. At the height of covid restrictions DH was not allowed to be with me. I ended up having three rounds with the laser with three different doctors, each one greater in status.and experience than the one before. That was my first hospital visit ever.

More personals tomorrow. Need to get to bed now.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell born (1831, Edinburgh)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Thanks for all your concerns; I'm doing OK now - not fully back on track, but getting there. Continue with house guests. Finally got to have a gentle, long, engaging, conversation over dinner on the patio. My new SIL volunteered to help DW with the prep and made herself useful in the kitchen. It's pretty hard to be useful in another's kitchen. Learned of their courtship and rather quick marriage, "Had places to go and being married made it easier." Talked about estate planning when two gray-haired folk marry with each having kids and grandkids. She's just become a great-grandmother - made me feel old. Lovely to have them.

Eating was on plan with no unplanned snacks, CREDIT moi. The time of eating was shifted by their schedule; good to remember that I can handle change, LOL. They had a HUGE blueberry muffin that I'd placed on the kitchen counter for temptation; I didn't, CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Kudos, indeed, for a 100% OP day. Your solo hospital visit with your DH not allowed reminds me to be grateful that I had DW at my side to help keep my brain in balance. Even the little task of collecting the items of blooded clothing that I removed was a help since I was a tad fogged the whole time.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at the dynamic of the PT assigning your DW too-easy exercises to find the right fit.

Karen (karenrn) - Good that your DH got to have a going away celebration. Kudos for adjusting your other eating after having part of his cake.

curlyjax - Kudos for making a change in your perception of the supervisor.

Penny. - Love the notion of "Leg day." Yep, my brother is suffering that he caused it all.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 5 Get Moving

Andi had myriad sabotaging thoughts about exercise: I don't want to ... I'll do it later ... It's not worth doing ... It won't help ... I don't need to ... I'm too tired ... I'm not in the mood... I'm too busy. Like most people, the hardest part for her was getting started, but once she got going, she was fine.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 71.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Mixed eating day yesterday but I did have a good day. I went to an outside artist function with a friend. There were about 30 artist/crafter booths set up in someone's backyard, and it was just beautiful. I ended up getting a few things myself, on the justification that I hadn't bought anything for quite sometime due to the pandemic. I got a walk in as well and ended up chatting with a friend on the phone at night.
Ooh, I just got invited to my friend's house for dinner and she's on WW so it will be very healthy. I was planning to cook the salmon I bought yesterday for dinner- I'll just cook it for the kids I guess, it isn't supposed to stay in the fridge for long. I think i'm going to go take a walk now so I make sure I get my exercise in, I have to get to the grocery store too.
Karen and Onebyone- yay for eating food you enjoy in a sensible way.
Bill- glad you're doing better. yay for grey haired romance and realities of estate planning.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

We slept for over nine hours last night! That never happens. I guess we needed it.

It's given the day a slow and lazy vibe, but that's fine for a Sunday, so I'll just go with the flow. When I was younger, lazy summer days had certain associations with food. Today, I'll focus on the non-food associations, instead.

Exercise +75, 625/1400 minutes for June
Old 06-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #80  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

The get together with a few of the PNP gals was less than inspiring. I got there a little early and the one gal who was already there was eating a cinnamon roll. Two others arrived, but one talked about her job ad nauseam. I felt like maybe we needed a timer so each of us had a little chance to talk. Anyway, I'm not sure I really need to keep up with them. We'll see.

Food was on plan yesterday until after dinner when we stopped at the store on the way home from the restaurant and bought some ice cream and cookies. This morning I met my friend at the trailhead at 4:50 and hiked Bell Pass with my backpack. I didn't eat before going because I figured last nights dessert would hold me and it did. It was 77 when we started and 89 by the time we finished 3 hours later. We are heading into a heat wave and I am not going to worry about hiking this week. I'll do step ups onto a box I have with my backpack on, arm and shoulder exercises and planks. I don't thinking hiking this next week is going to change my fitness level and it will give me more time to just focus on what I'm packing and how organized I can be.

I need to take enough food for 2 back to back 4 day backpacking trips, but nothing extra. I can keep the food for the second 4 days in the Tahoe Rim Trail Association office, but once they deliver it to me I can't leave any food in the car. With that in mind I need to really hone down how many calories I will need and what I will take.

GardenerJoy I am so envious of sleeping nine hours. Have a wonderful relaxing day.

Curlyjax It sounds like you had a very nice day yesterday. I don't think we need a reason to buy some things for ourselves. I'm glad you found something you wanted.

Bill I'm glad you're getting better. I didn't realize your brother was recently remarried. Is this the first time you've met new sil?
My youngest brother married his current wife 15 months after his wife died and only 6 months of dating. We all just love her and they are perfect for one another. Even his step daughter (from previous wife) was delighted as she was working hard to make sure he was okay.

Onebyone I'm glad you enjoyed your meal out. What a story about your eye surgery and that it's the first time you've been in the hospital.

Waving to Penny and Maryann.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #81  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good afternoon!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. I really screwed up my back so will have to take it easy for a few days.

Dh and I living as platonic housemates has resulted in us both having first dates today. Ha! He met a woman for early coffee and I'm meeting someone for an evening drink. The last time I dated was December and I'm ready to be hurt again!

And! My 17yo has applied for his first job. My 20yo is "still not ready."

Old 06-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #82  
persist

Default short

Coaches

Spent the day "cooking in advance". I eat low carb/keto for my foodplan and I have found it definitely helps to be prepared with food to grab when I am hungry or tired. I am trying to make.almost all my food from scratch so I know it helps to be prepared when I don't feel like cooking and I'd rather eat crappy stuff.

I made three things today all with food from our farm share that we picked up this weekend. Once a month we travel to Coopers CSA Farm (community supported agriculture) to get our farm share. We just started the summer farm share so in addition to our meat box we got a box of veggies and a dozen eggs. I'm only doing everything once a month because I don't trust us to use all the veggies plus I am growing some.

In the veggie box was 2lbs of asparagus which I made into asparagus soup today. ate some. froze some. I thawed the schnitzel and made parmesan coated schnitzel which I had for breakfast and lunch. Yes, I did that. and then used a pound of ground pork and ground beef combined with other things to make about 30 or more meatballs of which DH served enough to create a meatball sandwich for himself.for supper and then I froze the rest. It felt good to do this. I know this will help keep me OP this week or next week. It's good.

My picklebush cukes (love that spelling BBE) have all germinated and shown their lovely seed leaves to the sun. Carrot seeds are a dud as are the scarlet runner beans. I've replaced the carrots with kohlrabi plants and the runner beans will perhaps be melons to take advantage of the trellis. I'm not 100% on that as the squirrels stash things in that planter box and have sampled plants in that location in the past.

Time for bed.

to everyone

Last edited by onebyone; 06-13-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:19 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Chinese Dragon Boat Festival - search for Qu Yuan who drowned (343-278 B.C.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I'm still doing OK - thinking of myself as recovering from a fall since the body still lets me know that it's annoyed at getting whacked.

A generous nephew hosted a gathering of 19 family members in his backyard. Just Wow! Largest group I've been with in eighteen months. Was so good to see everybody. The young teens just get more robust and conquer-the-world good looking. My (5.5 yo) DGD worked the crowd like a pro getting full attention from one person then another. Everyone wanted to hear the story of why I had my arm bandaged. Relatives, at their relaxed best, can be incredibly fun. My contribution of a salad of white beans, red onion, and cherry tomatoes was well received.

Ate rationally enough at the gathering, CREDIT moi. But that included an appetizer of a vegetarian stuffed grape leaf, and part of a Kibbeh thing from the best Armenian market in the area. Also included a lobster slider - a miniature lobster roll. So glad to have that since I wanted my visiting brother and SIL to have lobster and that might just be enough to suffice. I only had one even though there were extra and I was offered a second. CREDIT moi for that alone. Made a modest plate. Made a modest dessert plate of one small scoop of vanilla ice cream (instead of one scoop of each of the four flavors), lots of blueberries, and a single oatmeal raisin cookie.

onebyone - That's some serious cooking in advance. Congrats for being able to adjust to whatever veggies show up in your share.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, there's a food association with warm days. And, as the good Dr. Beck will remind us, a food association with cold days. And rainy days. And non-rainy days, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Such sound preparation for your hike. Glad that food isn't allowed in the trunks of cars - bears would just learn to pick locks. Yes, this visit is my introduction to my new SIL. Been such a pleasure. I thought of you when I asked DW to wrap a new pad around my elbow. Well. We learned much. The self cohesive wrap bandages can be used as often as one wants - but only the first use sticks, LOL. We didn't know that; had never used them before. And stitches on the end of the elbow are awkwardly located for a bandage; it sticks out and bends.

curlyjax - Congrats for a neat outdoor artist function and for buying yourself something.

Penny. - Ouch for a back that's hurting. Good luck with your new date - may the random dice of dating roll well for you.

Readers -
Quote:

After many misgivings, she finally signed up for a beginners exercise class in her community. When she got back from the first class, she made the following card for her memory box:
Code:
Memory Card

I can't believe I was so resistant to sign up for exercise
class. It wasn't hard! There were plenty of other people
my age there who were just as out of shape as I am.
I'm actually so proud I made myself go. I really do feel
so much more energized. I'm so glad I did it!
Old 06-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

We have a busy day today, including DH's second post-op PT. I've got a food plan. I'm declaring that I don't have time to wander off of a perfectly good plan.

Exercise +40, 665/1400 minutes for June
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #85  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but weight was up today from Saturday's dinner out and dessert in. I walked Otis at 5 a.m. and then treated my hiking clothes with Permethrin out on the patio. They have to get pretty wet with the stuff, but they will be dry in no time. It will keep the bugs away and hopefully I won't have to use any repellent. It worked great two years ago. I've already been to the grocery store and I'm going to prepare an enchilada casserole to portion and put in the freezer for dh. I've been putting some other leftover food in there too for when I'm gone. Next I'm going to reread my Tahoe Rim Trail info and make any notes that might help final preparation.

GardenerJoy I hope your busy day helps keep you on plan. It often works that way for me.

Bill Would a tube sock work to hold things in place on your elbow if the bandage were taped, but not holding very well? As for bears, they will knock the windows out or tear the doors off vehicles to get to something that smells like food. They even suggest doing a last minute vacuum for any crumbs that might be missed. Crazy huh?

Onebyone Good job on the food prep. I'm know it helps me to have things available rather than picking around.

Penny Oh darn about your back. Take it easy. I hope the date goes well. I've got a couple of friends doing the dating thing and it can be pretty rough.

I'd better get going on the things I want to get done today.

Waving to Curlyjax and Maryann.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #86  

Good morning!

Yesterday was good and weight is down. I thought the date went well but when I texted afterward, I never heard back.

My back is still sore, so it should be easier to focus on the diet while I have rest days.

Bill, the backyard party sounds like such a good time! You almost make me want to host something on my deck. Almost. lol

Onebyone, excellent job on the food prep. I've done the farm share before and it is fun to see what you get each time.

Karen, that's too bad the PNP group wasn't as fun this time. I didn't know about treating your clothes with bug repellent. Very cool!

Old 06-15-2021, 12:10 AM   #87  
persist

Just a quick hello before I go to bed.

Good stuff: stayed on plan with food and fasting/ putting time between my meals. dropped off some.pots to be fired to.qork toward completing a long overdue.project. Arranged for.mechanic to see car.tomorrow.morning. The car had some kind of pipe/wire/hose ( I think its the brake line) hanging freely under the car Plus it is creaking on the back left side where a.bunch if stuff was replaced a few months ago. Car is at 270,000km. I would.like to see it get to 300k but not if it costs too much vs a new car.

Not as great atuff: no exercise today or yesterday. That has to change. Also I was.290 and again wondering if I will ever be below 290.for any real length of time. this is not where to focus I remind myself. just keep going its not Aug 13 which I my end point right now.

Sorry for.no personals today.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:44 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone Check in.

In the Detroit airport after a nice visit with DS. DH dropped me off. He leaves for home tonight.I go on to a good friend in Arlington Virginia then my sister in Kent Island.

Food has not been the focus which is the goal. Lots of walking. I did buy lots of small serving humus, fruit and low carb tortillas for snacks. Went to a super fancy restaurant last night for DS Bday. I ordered side of Brussels sprout for my main and French onion soup. The soup wasn’t that great so I didn’t eat it. Ordered a separate order of the most delish crab gnocchi in truffle sauce instead. Credit for eating less than a quarter of the rich dish and leaving the rest for DS.

Have caught up on posts. Credit for all OP success. Glad BBE is on the mend. Karen, I am treating my clothes now that you told me.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Global Wind Day (since 2007, by European Wind Energy Association)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Still OK - not really normal. Still taking Ibuprofen, which is about the heaviest drug I ever take. Made the appointment for next week to take out the three stitches. (Don't know why a layman couldn't do that with a sterilized pair of scissors; I'll ask.) Spent part of my day thinking about all the problems that could have occurred after falling down a set of stairs backward. I'm a lucky fellow.

Exercise was a walk, CREDIT moi, to the drug store to buy large bandages to cover my stitches. We realize that our failure to duplicate the neat binding of my entire elbow using modern self-sticking tape over a huge pad isn't just our failing, it isn't necessary. I only need a Band-aid to keep out whatever. There were about an acre of choices. Overwhelmed. First choice: Barney in purple. Winner: Found one with the word 'stretch' in its title in a dull tan color in a size large enough to cover an elbow. How boring. My DGD will not approve, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a combination of leftover cold salads eaten in the kitchen to avoid the cold, rainy outside. Evening snack was leftover fruit salad. Heroically, I'm ignoring the dark chocolate covered almonds and small biscotti sitting on the kitchen counter. Our two house guests are spending two nights at a relative's beach house; we'll see than again on Wednesday evening for their last three nights.

onebyone - Yep, just keep on keeping on. Hope the car is just a simple reattachment. I do love getting my mileage worth for a car.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good news that your DH just keeps going forward with his PT.

maryann - Super that you and your DH got to celebrate your DS's birthday in Michigan. That crab gnocchi in truffle sauce does make me drool.

Karen (karenrn) - DW is also a believer in Permethrin. She sent a stack of clothes to a place that did them for her. Thanks for the tube sock suggestion - that was just what I needed to hold down our feeble bandaging job. I might still do that over my band-aid if I go into a dirty environment.

Penny. - Ouch for the joys and sorrows of the dating life. LOL at "almost" want to host something.

Readers -
Quote:

After several more classes, Andi was finally able to fully accept the necessity of exercise - not necessarily because it would help her lose a significant amount of weight any time soon, but because it was essential for her well-being, both physically and psychologically. She was finally able to put exercise in her NO CHOICE category.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:01 AM   #90  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down.

I spent most of the day laying in bed, and getting sick of it. My back is still in bad shape. My teen sons did the grocery shopping for me and today I need to orchestrate getting a potato salad, mac n cheese, bread, and bean soup made. One or none will probably get done in actuality.

Maryann, how is flying these days? Is it nerve wracking to be on the plane? Do people take off masks willy nilly to drink and eat?

Bill, you're right. Stitches are super easy to clip and pull out. Extra cringe going into the doctor's office for it, knowing it's a $$$ charge. It would be nice if we could have healthcare without lamenting the cost of using it.

Onebyone, the scale is stubborn with the losses. Good job staying on plan anyway. I know how difficult it is.
Closed Thread