Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We have a big day today -- drain service at 11am and DH's first post-op PT at 4pm. Plus, our usual family Zoom call on Thursdays (if we have the energy for it) at 6:30pm. That's a lot for two introverts who are way out of practice at extroverting.

Here's my reminder that overeating doesn't improve my social skills or reduce my anxiety.

Exercise +45, 450/1400 minutes for June
Old 06-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #62  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday's food was on plan and weight is holding. I intended to do a longer hike with my backpack this morning, but I forgot my half sandwich that I eat on the way so I did 4 1/2 miles with a 25 pound pack instead. The shorter hike is no problem, but the other one is quite a bit more strenuous. I woke up at 2 a.m. and wasn't able to get back to sleep. Two friends that I spoke with yesterday were both really upset and I couldn't get them off my mind. I'll check on both of them today. The only other thing I have going is a visit to the periodontist for a yearly exam of my implant. They do it for free each year and after a few years it is guaranteed for life.

I didn't get to the movie yesterday and I'm afraid I would fall asleep today, but I'll get there soon.

GardenerJoy I'm thinking I may be needing the drain service before long too. Good luck with your busier day.

Curlyjax I had to download the Urban Dictionary to figure out what a PITA is . . . but now I know. Sorry about having to deal with that on top of the new job. I love the movies and I can't wait to see In the Heights. It's long and lots of music.

Bill You are so diligent with your eating without snacks. Like a machine. Yes I'm not sure how much of a defensive posture I will be able to take. I'm afraid I'll be stressed on seeing the amount I could have made as much as worrying about possible losses, or at least almost as stressed.

Onebyone You're doing so well. I missed the eclipse this morning. I was out hiking at sunrise, but the sun came up behind the hills and I didn't see it for quite a while.

Maryann I'm glad you had such good luck at REI. When I was first getting outfitted for so many things I sure got a good dividend from REI for the next year. You will too. I heard something about a fire over your way. I hope it doesn't interfere with your hiking.

Penny Homemade pizza sounds just nummy.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:09 AM   #63  
persist

S/C/G: 150goal/5.4/32lb 1st step

Height: 5' 6"

Default stay the course

Coaches

I just erased a big long detailed story of my friend who I have been emotionally supporting a lot this week as she sells her house then hears from everyone she talks to that she was crazy to sell her house so she tries to.nix the deal.and gets threatened by the buyer's lawyer and so she will move in with the woman she just met 3 days ago because she can't really afford much. The house sale was forced due to job loss related to an injury to her backg after a car hit her in a parking lot 3 years ago. She got up and walked away and only later discovered she was severely injured.

anyway... emotionally heavy. She couldn't afford the house and was adamant she couldn't have roommates. She said to me many times that she couldn't live with anyone. .

Now she will be a roommate.

I just support her. She will be ok. But she is in for massive sadness of which she has had a lot in her life.

I did watch with big eyes as she perfectly brought this situation to this extreme point. She decided that she was a certain kind of person and would not allow another thought to enter. I thought wow I decided I can't lose weight. I decided I can't stick to a food or I need cheese or whatever it is in order to keep.me where I am which is harmful to me as well. It is amazing to me what our beliefs about ourselves will create in the world.out there beyond ourselves. Lately I have been telling myself I am.not an artist. Artists make art and I have been in a dead srop with small.fits and starts here and there but nohing sustained. I *only* work with clay.now as if that is less than. So today I told myself I am an artist and I am still an artist even if I don't make.anything all year. There's more.to it than the products I make.

Credit moi for not eating over any of this as I shake my fist at the state of the world from here.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-11-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:06 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Oceanographer Jacques-Yves Cousteau born (Saint-Andrι-de-Cubzac, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled chicken on the patio - wearing long-sleeved shirts and windbreakers against the falling temperatures. Going from too hot to eat outside to needing extra clothing isn't that unusual for June, but calls for commenting as if it were. Need Rosemary for a neat white bean, onion, and tomato salad that I'm making for a family get together on Sunday. It has always cost waaaaay too much in a small clam shell; now, it's still waaaay too much in a clam shell half that size. Have they no shame?

Exercise was making beds for house guests arriving this evening. So amazing what we forget. We can't find the collapsible wooden towel rack that we've had for years and made available for guests. Looked everywhere. Did it die of old age? It was awkwardly too big, but we made do since it was the one we had (I had long ago picked it up at a yard sale for almost nothing). Two brains no longer remember. Ordered from Amazon the only one marked for delivery by Saturday. For the first night, they'll have to hold the towels in their hands, LOL. Made an extra trip to the supermarket to have Southern Sweet Tea on hand; some things are just assumed to exist, like toilet paper, when you go to visit. Remembered which towels we put out for guests.

onebyone - You are an artist. You ARE an artist. You are an ARTIST. YOU ARE AN ARTIST. Alas, all artists experience doubt from time to time. (Apparently, Picasso and Salvador Dali were exceptions to that.) It is interesting how you see your friend's choices as being locked into her view of herself.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope your drain service went well. I share your concern that I need to try to remember how to socialize with our upcoming house guests. My version of breakfast is cereal, fruit, and newspapers. If DW and I overlap, we both do that - occasionally sharing a comment about the news. Last house guests we had wanted to TALK while eating breakfast. I felt violated, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for a forgotten half-sandwich. It's neat that you know yourself so well that you know that it's necessary.

curlyjax - Super Kudos for ignoring all the FREE ice cream at those socials.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 5 Get Moving

what to do . . .

5. Get as much spontaneous exercise as you can. Walk into the bank rather than using the drive through. Park as far from the entrance of a building as you can. Take a flight of stairs rather than an escalator or elevator. Do a power walk around your building, inside or out, at lunch. Do a circuit of the mall or supermarket before you start shopping. Every little bit helps.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 70.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Last night I pretty much had ice cream for dinner, along with some meatloaf. I had met with one of my supervisors and sobbed a bit about the interactions with the other agency, partly because I woke up very tired. Then I was told I had acted disrespectfully toward an elder, which I don't agree with. She is very supportive as is my agency, it just hurt my pride. Anyhow-I've learned a few lessons about how to be in front of certain staff, and I will act accordingly. I have come home exhausted every day this week from the mental energy. I know things will get better, and I know the elders like me already, which is the main thing. Last night I sobbed again missing my husband so much.
Thanks for letting me vent. At least I'm not bored at work!
Onebyone- so sorry about your friend, that sounds so difficult. Great thought about the beliefs about ourselves. I echo Bill- you are most definitely an artist!
Old 06-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #66  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday included my first hike since early winter and it was difficult but good. The traffic was minimal and nearly no masks, which felt good, like progress instead of anxiety that people are blasting their covid breath on us.

Food was good until late evening when suddenly the post-hike hunger hit me and homemade pizza was eaten again.

Onebyone, I love your perspective on your friend's experience and it is inspiring me to get off this hamster wheel of sabotaging my weightloss.

Karen, I was wondering how much weight you put in your pack. 25 pounds is great! How much weight do you typically have to carry for a backpacking trip?

Curly, that sounds like a very difficult day you had. I hope today is much nicer, and then the weekend is relaxing.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

The drains are running!

DH's PT went well -- a little more invasive than anticipated and a whole new "workout" assigned. So, a bit overwhelming, too. He's doing well though and, in fact, his biggest error may be in overdoing it. The pelvic floor is designed to contract and relax. Too many Kegels and you can develop a tension that doesn't allow relaxation and that will cause other problems down the road.

Today will include incorporating the PT's advice and workouts into our day.

Exercise +60, 510/1400 minutes for June

Penny: Thanks for the description of your friend who gets anxiety from allergies. My more usual symptom is the opposite -- malaise. So, it's nice to know that I'm not crazy to think this is just a new expression for my allergies.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back from hiking in Tahoe. The fire Karen heard about was actually in the state park I was hiking in. By the time I was on my return trip to the car, rangers had closed my trail.Thankfully a ranger gave me a ride back to my car and the fire was easily contained. It was in the most beautiful part of North Lake Tahoe and would be a tragic loss. So that was my excitement. I hiked the next morning at the 7,200 foot summit with no elevation issues. I hope I am starting to work out my foot issues. The last trail I was doing some bushwhacking and scrambling. I stepped incorrectly on the bad foot and heard a big crack. ouch. I thought it was broken. But I took a megadose Naproxen. This morning it feels good.

Penny: The post hike hunger is definitely real. Our brains release chemicals to make us not lose weight. Damn evolution. I try to double up on water and the tablespoon of balsamic vinegar ( cranberry pear) that I have in my tea in the evening helps me. I have a T in the morning and a T in the evening.
Karen: It is very hard to wrap my mind around changing Risk Level when my retirement could last longer than I worked.s I am high risk until 80? I am lucky to have a pension ( but no social security). I also think of how people around the world who face old age and realize there is only so much security to be had in this world.
BBE; Funny about getting ready for guests. I am not easily a hostess although I love having friends around me. If I ever come over, I am happy to hang the towel on the back of the door.
onebyone: What an insightful story. DH always says disasters of our own making are never one decision but a series of bad decisions in the face of circumstances beyond our control.
gardenerjoy:I imagine you DH is glad to have something in his control like exercises to do.
Curleyjax: I thought PITA had to do with animals Good thing for urban dictionary
Old 06-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #69  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and weight is back down. This morning I hiked Bell pass without my pack. I couldn't pass up getting out in the cool temp (75 at 5 am), but didn't feel like carrying a pack. I have carried it twice this week. I'm going to try to keep hiking daily until the temps are just unbearable. Beginning next Wednesday our low is 88 for 4 days per the weather ap.

I made grain/vegetable bowls for dinner last night. They had farrow, sweet potato cubes, broccoli florets, a little avocado and red onion. The dressing was greek yogurt, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt and pepper. I thought it was delicious and very filling. In fact I'll be eating half of mine for lunch today. I used the air fryer to roast the sweet potato, broccoli and the farrow after it had been cooked. We had a chicken tenderloin or two on the side.

I woke up way too early, but I will not take a nap. Instead I'm going to see In the Heights because I think it will keep me awake and it is showing at a good time. I met a friend at a large International Market just now. It's about 25 minutes away and there was so much there. I went down all the aisles, but they had so many sauces and spices I think having a list of what I need for recipes would be better than just picking things up. As it was I purchased a few snack items for hiking/backpacking.

Maryann I'm glad the ranger's were there to get you back to your car. The fires are just a shame. We have a huge one here that is out beyond the Superstitions.

GardenerJoy Yay for drains that are running well. Mine are running but I think they are getting a bit smelly.

Penny Of course the pack weight varies depending upon the trip length. Probably a little more than 30 pounds, but quite a bit of that is food and water. With more days it is higher, and when I have to carry the bear can (which will be both trips this year) that adds about two pounds even though I have the Bearikade which is the lightest weight can.

Curlyjax It sounds to me like a weekend is just what you need. I'm glad it's Friday.

Bill I hope you have a great time with your houseguests. I think one of the things I dislike the most is getting food in the house and then having it still in the house when they leave.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:47 AM   #70  
persist

S/C/G: 150goal/5.4/32lb 1st step

Height: 5' 6"

Default fast one

Hi Coaches
I did some self sabotgae today when I saw the scale had the same.number. I will now acknowledge that seeing the same number on the scale 3 or 4 days in a row makes me a.bit crazy so my foodplan now acknowledges this. I will look for ways to this happening in the future and know its the way I am.and I don't have to react to it but just et it pass on by. Today I veered dangerously close to going offplan. I had more carbs and more meals than planned but I ended the day right.
Here's to continuing to move forward and tweaking things as you go.

have a good night.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Famous diarist Anne Frank born (1929, Frankfurt, Germany)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The house guests arrived. Was great to see them and welcome them to the Boston area. It was late; we did a quick tour of the house and their room; were taking their suitcases up the stairs to go to bed. Then my brother, walking up the stairs in front of me, fell backward carrying two suitcases. Hitting me stopped him, but I ricocheted down the rest of the stairs on my head and back. Ouch. Not a good thing. DW insisted that the little scratch on the elbow was worth a visit to the ER, "I can see the bone. And you're bleeding from the bump on your head." So, off we went.

My impression of the hospital is both extremes: amazing how efficiently they pull off the impossible; and should be shut down and rebuilt from scratch. They quickly had me evaluated by a "PA Student" - a Physician's Assistant Student. My elbow was temporarily bandaged so that I'd quit bleeding all over my clothes. A young woman made a compromise with me: if I'd give up my insistence that I could walk, she'd give up her insistence that I had to be moved in the wheeled bed. She gathered up an enormous wheelchair and pushed me down the corridors for a CAT Scan. No problems in the head. The doctor put three stitches in the elbow jointly with the PA Student. He gave detailed and patient instruction. I got better details of what was happening listening to the instructions. Unfortunately, couldn't see because, for their benefit, I was laying on my side with my elbow sticking up over my back over a basin that caught the water being used to flush the wound, "No detergents or solvents, just mechanical motion to clean it out." He did the first stitch to pull the 'V' together, she did a stitch on each of the two sides. "Knots away from the wound so as not to become part of the scab. Nope, no dissoluble stitching here - not persistent enough for the forces you'll be putting on this." Given THREE (3.0) Extra-strength Tylenol's - just a whole bunch.

Lots of drama but I'm fine. To make sure that I left with a positive feeling, parking as an emergency patient was FREE.

onebyone - Good work psyching out how the scale affects you.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Working drains is such a nice state of affairs.

maryann - Good luck tending to those feet.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, all the extra snacks that I'm buying for them might face me when they're gone. And no group I'm in is meeting in person. Hard to say on Zoom, "Anybody want this extra cake?"

curlyjax - Congrats for the perspective, "At least I'm not bored at work!"

Penny. - Congrats for doing enough exercise that post hiking hunger struck.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 5 Get Moving

tip: Be careful - don't fool yourself. Some dieters believe they are getting quite a lot of exercise when they shop at a mall or go to a fair because they get tired. Being tired doesn't always mean that you got good exercise. And a 20-minute walk with your dog, who stops at every bush, doesn't give you the same workout as walking fast the whole time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 70.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Much better day.I didn't have to interact with staff much at all but had some good interactions with the elders. I am trying to view interactions with the director as: she feels responsible for everything and is trying to assist me, rather than she's being a control freak. I actually came home with some energy instead of feeling exhausted and heading straight to bed. I took a walk, and I practiced getting my kayak on and off the car myself. A step stool may be helpful at some point too.
Today I'm meeting a friend to go look at an outside art show, and need to do some stuff before that.
Bill-glad you're okay, goodness! hitting your head can really do you in.Interesting to hear about your hospital experience.I still remember after my c-section hearing the medical team counting the instruments- to make sure they hadn't left anything inside me I guess!
Onebyone-I know what you mean about the scale. Sometimes I do better weighing once a week because of that.
Penny- I love the feeling of progress instead of anxiety too.
Gardenerjoy- good luck with DH's PT. It can indeed be difficult to not overdo it.
Maryann-glad you're okay with the fires. It's so awful to have those raging in our forests.
Karen-wow, that meal sounds great. I may just have to get an air fryer, I keep hearing how great they are.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

I canceled plans for today in order to accommodate, in a relaxed way, DH's new routine. It went well yesterday. Some exercises were too easy, but because of weird scheduling we see the PT again on Monday for his "weekly" appointment. She deliberately assigned easy exercises to counteract some ways that he was overdoing it. And, knowing that he'd be back in a few days to tell her which ones aren't doing anything.

I think I needed a more relaxing and reflective day today, anyway. CREDIT for taking time for myself when my mind and body both wanted it.

Exercise +40, 550/1400 minutes for June

BillBlueEyes: That was a more dramatic story than I expected from house guests. I'm glad you're fine.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #74  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was good and weight is back down. I jumped right back into leg day after my hike the day before and I am so sore! I need to hike regularly again because it is so effective.

Bill, yikes! I'm glad you are okay. I bet your brother felt really bad about the ordeal.

Onebyone, good job ending the day good after some extras.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #75  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is down a smidge. I'm not really making a plan, but instead logging every bite and keeping within my calories. I am using some exercise calories but half of less. Yesterday dh brought home a piece of cake from his going away celebration. I ate the piece of cake before I ate dinner and then cut down on dinner. It seemed to work and I thoroughly enjoyed the sweet treat.

I love 'In the Heights'. I love musicals though.

This morning I did a shorter hike so that I could get home and cleaned up in time to drive 30 minutes to meet my PNP friends who I haven't seen in awhile. They are all 10 or 20 years younger than I am and I want to remain friends with them, so I need to make an effort to get together some times.

Bill I'm so glad you are okay and also glad dw insisted you go get checked out. I hope you aren't too sore from your fall.

Curlyjax I'm so glad you had a better day. I'm not convinced I love the air fryer. I guess the good thing for me here in AZ is that it doesn't heat up the kitchen. The meal I made last could have easily been done in the over if not for that. I think my favorite thing so far was the sweet potato fries.

Onebyone I hear you about the scale. I try to think of it as just data, but it can be disappointing when it isn't doing what I want. I just try to remember to think of the trend. I like the Happy Scale ap on my phone as a reminder of where it has been.

Waving to everyone else. I haven't been home to do anything yet today so need to get moving.
Closed Thread