3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/322845-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-april-2021-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 04-01-2021 06:10 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes 04-01-2021 06:11 AM

Thursday - April Fool's Day (since the Roman Empire)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chasing the (5.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Visited the Boston Museum of Science where she played for a long time with an engineering exhibit where a ball rolled down a path that could be altered by changing the giant switches. Rather fun. She worked out every single possible combination of paths. Had to admire the persistence. Also saw the iMAX movie Superpower Dogs. Was concerned that a 50 minute movie would be too long for her. Her attention never faltered. There was always a dog on the screen; always something happening. I loved it; recommend it. I didn't know about dogs that rescue folks in the water. The segment on two Bloodhounds in Kenya sniffing after bad guys trying to poach elephants was the best description of dog's smell that I've encountered. It was extra special that because of the limited attendance, we got the best seats in the house. That matters in the iMAX theater where one is trying to see the whole sphere over their head.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Driving home after dropping off the DGD, I had my planned apple - finishing up the apple that she didn't eat. Glad that it's an apple and not a cupcake or something sugar laden since I'm locked into this finish-the-kids-food behavior that's a killer for many a young mother.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love the notion that your MIL gets to ask for a fish sandwich from Dairy Queen. We each have what we miss from our isolation. Kudos for making a plan around trying to find actual food at Dairy Queen.

curlyjax - Yep, "All Easter candy is evil too." Don't know why we need seasonal candy.

Penny. - Congrats for making your hot tub functional again. Don't understand the notion of pillows for a hot tub. What am I missing?

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite

It helps you in several other ways, too. . . .

You won't feel as deprived. Once you start limiting your food, you will want to get the most satisfaction from everything that you eat. You will feel so much more satisfied if it takes you longer to finish what is on your plate.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 62.

curlyjax 04-01-2021 07:49 AM

Thanks to the magic of the internet, I was able to listen/watch a webinar yesterday while making stuffed peppers; stuffed with quinoa, ground turkey, veggies, and a little ricotta/cheese mix. Very tasty. The tow truck came and took away the old car, so that is finally done. And I dyed my hair with henna! It turned out great- a bit darker brown than I wanted, but with auburn tints where the grey is. I think the color is supposed to settle down in a few days. Hopefully it will last a month as it is quite messy and a bit time consuming, but its all natural with no perfume smell- and cheap.
Gardenerjoy- I imagine it is indeed difficult to find something worthy to eat at DQ. good job making a choice and moving on.
Penny-that job does sound tedious. Yay for a functioning hot tub soon!
Bill-that movie looks wonderful. It's truly amazing what animals can do.

karenrn 04-01-2021 08:56 AM

Good morning coaches,

I was gone all day yesterday for hiking a bit north. Luckily a friend drove her 4 WD higher clearance vehicle. Mine would have done it, but at the end it was a dirt road and it was a pretty rocky road and 17 miles on that. We hiked Pine Mountain, 10 miles round-trip, 5100 ft to about 6800 ft. Nice and cool and a beautiful day. It was really nice to have a change of scene. Between the long drive and then an accident on the freeway on the way home we were gone almost 12 hours. I left my car in the shop where it got new shocks in the rear. I knew I needed them, but that was all it needed. The friends I was with yesterday both have older cars with far more miles on them than I do for precisely the same reason, we take them out hiking and don't want to take a new car there. I think I'll stick with driving it until the wheels fall off, for now. Calories were a little higher yesterday due to the long hike, but weight is back down. I am planning to have a lower calorie day today with lots of vegetables. No hiking today, but a good walk for Otis and some grocery shopping.

Curlyjax The stuffed peppers sounds delicious. I love peppers. Fun to have a new hair color and I'm glad you like it. I wasn't a stock broker, but the operations manager (I worked my way up) and learned quite a bit about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc. I'm certainly no expert, but it has helped to be a bit familiar. I worked in that business for 10 years or so.
Bill That movie looks really good. I looked on an ap on my phone and it isn't available anywhere near me. I may go to the movies today. I want to see both Minari and The Father.
Penny So is the Covid testing job a side gig or something extra for your regular job?
GardenerJoy I can just imagine how delighted your mil must be to see you and your husband. I hope you tell us about it.

You all have a great day!

Penny. 04-01-2021 12:50 PM

Good morning,

Yesterday was on plan. Nothing much else to report.

Bill, hot tub pillows are foam pieces that suction cup to a few seats. We bought it 10+ years old and the pillows were already garbage so it's only taken me 15 years to buy new ones. The imax movie sounds fun.

Karen, the covid testing is an extra gig with my regular job. Sounds like you had a fun day yesterday.

BillBlueEyes 04-02-2021 05:40 AM

Friday - Children's Author Hans Christian Andersen born (1805, Odense, Denmark)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the second serving of the Russian Easter Pie. So very good; was worth the calories of the cream cheese. The added veggie was Brussels Sprouts sauteed with a touch of Vermont Maple Syrup. Since we don't seem to do pancakes anymore, the jar of maple syrup is only used for Brussels Sprouts, "I've got about 24 years left," DW wryly noted. Cosmic Crisp Apple for evening snack.

Two Zoom classes met; so much fun. The retired folks in the classes are so interested in the courses. When reading Absalom, Absalom! by Faulkner, we debated unreliable narrator. In the midst of yelling about who was telling the 'truth' one guy had to remind us that there is no 'truth' in fiction - it's only a story. So then we yelled about who was telling the true story. Alas, Faulkner seems to have no intention of you discovering this easily - if ever. Have decided that college is wasted on the young. Folks should work their whole lives and then revel in the joy of college courses.

Made a hilarious mistake: with much effort, got the library book P Is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever. Great fun! But way over the head of my (5.5 yo) DGD who is just learning the sounds of letters when they start words. In one book I could probably set back her reading by at least two years. Alas, it's a fun book for me. I'll read it at night when no one is looking.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, "driving it until the wheels fall off" - let them steal the shiny BMW parked in the next slot. Enjoy your "lots of vegetables" day.

curlyjax - What a terrific idea: listening to a webinar while cooking. Drooling over the stuffed peppers.

Penny. - Thanks for the clarification of pillows in a hot tub. My mind was slightly twisted since I'd just been shown an air fryer by my SIL - that fries without oil. Thought maybe you had something similar for your hot tub.

Readers -
Quote:

You will feel full sooner. Research shows there is a lag in time from when you have consumed enough food to trigger fullness and when you actually feel a sensation of fullness. The more slowly you eat, the more time you have for the fullness signal from your stomach to reach your brain.

curlyjax 04-02-2021 08:48 AM

My mind seems to think its Saturday because its really late and I still haven't taken a shower. The joys of working at home; I could do it later.
My sleep was broken by the sounds of frolicking mice. Time to bring in the exterminator;yet another sign of spring. Yesterday I contacted someone to give me an estimate for cleaning the windows, since I haven't done it, in forever. It's one of those tasks that is worth it to contract out.
Yesterday was very grey and blegh. I'm not feeling sad but not motivated to do anything either. I did make my healthy soda bread which fills me up, and I do have lots of healthy leftovers.
Karen: Good idea to keep the car for driving on rough roads. I flinch everytime I hit a pothole in my newer car. Lots of veggies sounds good.
Bill-College is definitely wasted on the young. I look forward to doing courses when i'm retired. That book looks great fun.
Penny- ah yes, i have lots of "its only taken 15 years" for me to get around to doing something. Like cleaning the windows.

maryann 04-02-2021 09:49 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have had a challenging week. The live-streaming teaching has become overwhelming to me and I had a severe mood swing that set off lots of whistles - none of them pleasant. The result were some medical appts and I have agreed to start an antidepressant. This is something I have completely refused before. DH diagnosis and DS off to college are also factors and I have just tried to chug on. So I am not sure what is ahead for me. I might take a leave of absence. I have one more before spring break. I have a trip to the lighthouse planned. Getting away may be nice.

Weight for some reason has jumped five pounds up. Crazy. I will not panic until I am down at this elevation for a day or two. In the midst of the small crisis I fled to Truckee. So first things first. I will stay low carb for the day. I will eat lots of veggies ad drink lots of water.

Wave.

Penny. 04-02-2021 11:31 AM

Good morning,

Yesterday was on plan, which makes it a full week this time. Woohoo. Two fast days are upon me again.

Bill, lol at the magic of an air fryer. My kitchen decided to stay old school and not make room for an air fryer or an Instant Pot.

Curly, sorry about the mice. That seems a lot more complicated than the ants.

Maryann, I hope the antidepressant is helpful. You have been dealing with a lot.

karenrn 04-02-2021 01:26 PM

Good morning coaches,

Our internet is up again after 18 hours or so. Since we use streaming for television, we didn't have that either. Different, but kind of nice for a change. We just played the music that we usually play for Otis when we're gone. Food was on plan yesterday, even after talking to my friend whose husband was diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic cancer. We had a conversation and I mostly just listened. I don't think he has much time at all, but I don't think she gets that yet. I got up to hike this morning, but then there was lightening and I turned around and came home. Probably should have gone and sat at the trailhead for a short bit. I think it passed quickly. Kind of a weird 24 hours, but nothing that eating will help.

Penny Yahoo for a week on plan. It feels so good to be in control.
Maryann You have had such a full plate for quite a while now. I hope the antidepressant is helpful and kicks in quickly.
Curlyjax Frolicking mice, yuck. Hopefully the exterminator can fix that soon.
Bill More than thinking someone would steal my car is the thought of scratches and dents that are so upsetting when the car is new. I do think I can feel the difference with the new shocks. I guess that tells me how badly they needed to be replaced.
Waving to GardenerJoy.

Now I get to do all the things I usually do on the computer first thing in the morning. I do have to say this internet stuff is a bit overwhelming at times. First we thought it was just us, then learned it was the whole area, then they said it was resolved (but we weren't). Resetting the modem, router, whatever. Anyway, such a minor problem, but annoying.

BillBlueEyes 04-03-2021 06:47 AM

Saturday - The Pony Express: Between St. Joseph, Mo. and Sacramento, Calif. (1860)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The new car seat for the (5.5 yo) DGD arrived. She's grown too tall for the current one. Her mother sent us a polite email telling us exactly which model they had installed in each of their cars. It's a 'Transition' seat - designed to provide more features than a Lamborghini at a price for the swells of the world to pay. The role of the grandparent is to nod, say "Yes", and buy the car seat that the DGD will expect. She'll start out in the five-attachment-point race driver seat belt mode; then update to the tall back car seat belt only mode; then, finally, to a booster seat alone. As financial issues go, this one is small but I do cringe at the amount of money the kid-industry rakes in each year. Eating dirt boosts the immune system. Humbug!

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled shrimp - unbelievably good. DW had purchased a two-pound package of frozen shrimp a while back; this is the last meal from that. If we lived on the Gulf Coast we'd have fresh shrimp at least once a week - when our shrimp-fishing boat caught too many to sell at the market. Along with some crabs and oysters. I do envy those of you who live by the sea.

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts for all the stuff you're juggling right now. You can distract yourself by thinking of all the horses it would take for you to send a letter to Joy (gardenerjoy) by Pony Express.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for 18 hours without the Internet. Perhaps better, Yay for 18 hours without the Internet. I wish your friend and her Stage IV DH well.

curlyjax - Smart to realize that you can't do everything so contracting windows is a good delegation. LOL at no shower yet; my fear of working at home would have been drifting into the 24/7 pajamas mode.

Penny. - Kudos for a full week. Yep, Instant Pot is another appliance that DW has assured me is not to be purchased for our kitchen.

Readers -
Quote:

You will enjoy your food more. When people eat too quickly, they barely taste what they are eating. I wonder if you do that sometimes when you're eating something you think you're not supposed to have. Do you eat it quickly? If so, does a small piece seem satisfying - or do you keep going? When you start changing what you eat in Stage 2, it will be important for you to get as much enjoyment from each bite as you can.

curlyjax 04-03-2021 09:29 AM

Still in bed now at 9:00 but it really is Saturday today.I got my weights done yesterday. I'm aiming to do twice a week, I think that's good enough without stressing my body too much. Further exercise was washing the kitchen floor and vacuuming which I've been meaning to do forever. I'm going to brave the grocery store this morning and hope there's some food left:) I have some tentative social plans today which is good since i'm not doing anything for Easter. Food was not on plan yesterday. Too much Easter candy around. Although it does clear your system out!
Bill- i've been the DD/DIL earnestly telling the grandparents what they needed to buy/set up, ha! Although to be fair my MIL had an old crib that baby's head could get stuck in; some changes are definitely for the good. I wonder what's happening to all the used carseats floating around since you're not supposed to buy a used one in case it was in an accident.
Karen- good attitude for losing the internet. I feel so disconnected now without it, how did we ever live that way? Sorry about your friend, that's a hard diagnoses.
Penny-I don't have either of those things either, not worth it for just me and then the varied foods when the kids are home. I've had mice problems for eons. Twice a year refreshing bait and sealing up stuff on the outside seems to do it for awhile.
Maryann- sorry you're having such a hard time. I'm a huge fan of antidepressants. I didn't want to go on one either, but it helped so much after DH' diagnoses and thru everything. Mine takes the edge of anxiety as well.
Time to get up and at em!

maryann 04-03-2021 11:14 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

How wonderful it is Saturday and I am sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee! Thxs for all the supportive thoughts. Friday went much better in the classroom. I was focusing on the most basic teaching principle which is "i + 1." "i" stands for something you have mastered (independent) and the "+1" is one new thing.

Weight is in the next decade which is very uncomfortable. I know that antidepressants often cause weight gain so I need to put some time and attention into a plan. This is important to me. I did meet my step goal for the month which is the third month in a row. I weighed in today where I started posting 11 years ago so I am changing my stats and getting real. I am so grateful that I am off sugar for a year. Easter candy is not even an option.

Monday I leave for vacation in Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. I am really looking forward to it.

Penny: That is great you have a week. That is a direct reflection of your hard work.
BBE: I have five brothers and sisters and we drove to church in a convertible 1972 beetle. Two of the kids were in the boot - no air bags and short on seat belts. Funny isn't it?
curleyjax: I love it when I combine exercise with accomplishments like a clean floor.
Karen: Sorry to hear about your friend. It was good of you to lend an ear.

gardenerjoy 04-03-2021 11:16 AM

Oops! I didn't mean to disappear for a couple of days. That's almost always a sign that my life has gone a little out of control in some way or other. Fortunately, these days, that's rarely involving food, but if it goes on too long, that will inevitably be the major problem. So, nipping it in the bud by getting back here.

Yesterday's problem was a lack of energy which I mostly blame on allergens. I feel a bit better today, so I'm hoping some of the tree pollen that gives me the most trouble is on the wane.

Exercise +35, 70/1400 minutes for April

BillBlueEyes: The Pony Express looms large in history for Missouri children. I remember being very disappointed to learn as an adult that it only lasted for about a year and a half.

Penny. 04-03-2021 11:33 AM

Good morning,

Yesterday was on plan.

I've cleaned up my little gardens and pots and am very pleased with the swiss chard and artichoke plants from last year. They both stuck around and look beautiful. I am thinking of planting more artichoke plants in another section of yard as a filler plant since they are so bushy and hardy. I just fear the soil won't be as good as what I've created in the garden box.

I haven't cracked the code on growing tomatoes but I'll still plant them. and zucchini, because I need to feel successful. haha!

Have a great day!