Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday had many box checkers. I made the smoothie with ginger, flaxseed, greens, berries and powdered almond butter. I did not eat dinner with DH. Instead I saved the new legume recipe for lunch today. I find if I stop eating around 5:00, weight is better. I preloaded water and went on my walk in my work clothes so I wouldn't miss it. Weight is at ticker which is nice since it is 5 pounds less than two weeks ago. I probably need to hang at this weight to stabilize.

Karen and curleyjax: I have decided on an inflatable kayak. My back won't appreciate the motion of lifting a hardshell. I have had problems with that before. As to the particular brand I need more info. It is a process.
Penny: A day at the beach is one of my favorite things in the world.
BBE: Horrifying about that fire. I am dreading the California summer fires which will be a threat again this year.
gardenerjoy: thinking of you.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The PT appointment went well, but with several surprises. I didn't really want more surprises at this stage. DH liked the therapist. That's a good thing because one of the surprises was half a dozen post-op appointments with her. I didn't like that was a surprise, but I'm very happy that it's happening. I'm glad that we're not on our own for making sure that he does all the things that will give him the best chance at full recovery.

I thought today was going to be low key with a tinge of anxiety ahead of tomorrow's surgery for DH. But, I've been moving at a pretty good pace, so far, and need to continue with that If we're going to have all the procedures and preparations complete by bedtime. On the plus side, my anxiety is lower when I have things to do.

Exercise +45, 825/1400 minutes for April
Old 04-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #108  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget but good. all my exercise in and weight is without change.

Karen, good job on hitting the 140s and building up the backpacking stamina. I booked a cheap hotel at Seaside for our beach trip. It has everything we want and ocean view but I have stayed a few times and the walls are so thin. I could hear a guy throwing up last time.

Bill, I'm surprised that Sauvie Island link didn't highlight the nude beach. I don't go to that one anymore but it is quite popular. Lots of eagles nests and I saw three baby eaglets peeking out of the nest by the beach I went too. So cool! I too am irritated by smaller packaging to increase prices.

Curly, yay for meal prepping! good job getting your tax paperwork in order.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:36 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - American naturalist and conservationist John Muir born (1838, Scotland)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the supermarket was, once again, boring. Excitement was picking up blueberries from Florida. This means that soon there will be MORE blueberries from Florida and then from New Jersey and then the prices drop so that I will eat way too many for breakfast. And tell myself that blueberries are a super food so that it's not necessary to count their calories. It was warm enough to leave home without a coat. Seems to take a while for Spring to creep up to Massachusetts.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled scallops - a treat for us. Whole Foods had some on sale that caught DW's eye. Then she discovered that they were 'previously frozen'; she picked up the not-on-sale never frozen ones sitting right next to them. So we had pricey scallops that were worth the cost. With grilled asparagus and leftover mashed squash/sweet potato combo of some sort.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for moving forward despite the surprises.

maryann - So smart to get a kayak that is easiest enough to load that you're more likely to use it.

curlyjax - Congrats for the little steps like bills paid. Turkey meatloaf for the week sounds good to me.

Penny. - Love the thought of three eaglets peeking out of their nest. We're beginning to see more Bald Eagles around here - making a comeback. Thanks for the info about the nude beach on Sauvie Island. We've been to many nude beaches in our younger bodies - including one in Yugoslavia - but not in our gray haired bodies. I wouldn't feel self-conscious, but I would feel like I was spoiling the scenery a bit.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite

It may take some time before you fully master this skill, but keep working at it every day and you will get better and better.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 65.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #110  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food was on plan until after dinner when I scarfed down the leftover dates that didn't go into the granola and had a bit of granola too. This was after a planned 2 beers, but also probably as a result of having 2 beers. I was gone most of the day hiking the Groom Creek Trail Loop in Prescott with 2 friends. It's a two hour drive each way and then it's about 10 miles and a moderate climb at elevation to start with. It was fabulous and we all feel so grateful to have the good health to hike along with the time and the active friends.
I got on the scale when I returned from the hike and the number was a little higher than I hoped. I think I had a little bit of a F it thought. Darn, I know my weight would have been down this morning if I hadn't gone a bit overboard. I guess now is the time to say Oh Well and get right back on the plan. I do know the biggest thing for me is to get right back on plan as quickly as possible.

Bill Your mention of John Muir makes me think of that hike. The scallops sound delicious. I used to get them for myself once in a while, dh is not a fan.

Penny I haven't been to Seaside in such a long time. I know it is closed now, but Tom and Larry's used to have the best candy.

GardenerJoy I'm saying a prayer and sending good thoughts that dh's surgery goes smoothly.

Maryann Five pounds down in two weeks is great. I think the smoothies are sounding good. I think I'll try one for lunch today.

Curlyjax You've been really productive. I'm sure that feels great and I'm glad your knee is better.

Today is a rest day from hiking. I don't really need it, but it's supposed to be very windy and the housework needs to be done. My workout today will be cleaning all the floors, bathrooms and dusting, along with getting the laundry caught up. I will get Otis out for a longer walk too. Have a great day everybody.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #111  
Green Tomatoes

The snow is nearly all melted. It was kind of bizarre. There are enough leaves on the trees that the snow didn't reach the ground beneath them. So there were big green grass circles surrounded by white. Hopefully it didn't do any damage to the trees.

I typed up today's to-do list and schedule last night, including when DH should take his pre-op shower and when I should warm up the car. It was all feeling kind of overwhelming. This morning, that feels like a gift from my past self. I can just run right down the list without being overwhelmed by it or constantly having thoughts of things to do and not being sure that I'll remember.

I'm going to pack enough food for lunch and supper. The hospital cafeteria is not a temptation in a pandemic.

Checking 3FC off my list!

Exercise +45, 870/1400 minutes for April
Old 04-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday's training was good, less intense than last week. It's interesting to see how everyone approaches the same task. I used my resistance muscles and did not get anything from the vending machine or from Dunkin donuts, other than a coffee with a little mocha syrup in it. I was starving again at dinner time and grateful to have my premade food plus a microwaved russet potato. The potato was soo good and definitely better for me than a microwave brownie.
I woke up in the middle of a dream, where no one was wearing a mask anymore, which was so wonderful. My DH was there too, he pops up once in a while.
Maryann- sounds like a good choice. A friend of mine has a kayak in pieces that you put together, so you can stow it in the car. I've thought of that kind too.
Bill-now I'm giggling about your nudie beach comment. I'm looking forward to the surge of local berries as well.
Karen- sounds like a nice day. Getting back on track is always the best choice for sure.
Gardenerjoy-its definitely helpful to have professionals like PTs to help keep things on track. Good luck today.
Penny-baby eaglets, how delightful! Ugh, those walls are too thin for sure.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #113  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Penny: I actually have passed through Seaside in Oregon! My girlfriend is thinking of retiring in Astoria and we made a tour through the state.
Karen: It is so great to have activie friends. I need more.
BBE: our strawberry farm is open. We rent ground to the Mong family that runs it. No blueberries though but here come the cherries in May.
Gardenerjoy: thinking of you.
curleyjax: It is a dream to think of the day there are no masks.

I have had kind of a turn around attitude at school or maybe it is the antidepressant kicking in. I have seen the students that have started coming to school even just two days a week start passing. That feels good. that actually rigor and content is still 25% of normal but maybe the lessons learned on integrating technology, perseverance and the idea that computers can't replace good teachers are silver linings.

Food is OP. I am almost never hungry with the water and the fiber. I have nearly given up flour completely which is awesome.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:33 PM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

Just a quick update. DH's surgery went well. There was no visible cancer outside of the prostate -- but we'll have to wait for pathology (about a week) and future PSA tests to determine all that.

I won't check in, here, in the morning because I want to be at the hospital by 7am to hopefully catch the early round of doctors.

I ate my packed food today. Now that I know they enforce the 7am-7pm visiting hours (COVID rules), I'll pack lunch and snacks for tomorrow and plan on eating supper when I get home.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Earth Day (since 1970, by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. DW invented that we were going 'on a hunt' for birds. She got into it. At Mount Auburn Cemetery, the warblers are just arriving. The DGD identified a Great Blue Heron by herself without being prompted; I was impressed. Not because it's a difficult bird to identify, but one has to care enough to remember its name. She spotted a pair of Blue Jays, "They're a boy and a girl because they're together." Spot on. She demanded that we find "our secret bench." Yes, we've called it that; it's slightly hidden. She believes that no one else knows about it. We sat there and spotted a pair of Mallard Ducks in the largish Vernal Pond. She'd lasted a full hour before the BIG event. A neat guy with a spotting scope asked us if we'd seen the Screech Owl in the nearby tree. "Wanta look through my scope?" he asked the DGD. Well, she spent more than 30 minutes examining the Eastern Screech Owl through his scope. "I could watch him all day." It was a neat owl and the scope made it super close. "Can we come back here next Wednesday?" I was impressed.

Our afternoon adventure to a playground got rained out. So we played Splat - a board game where one makes their moving pieces with playdough and the opponents periodically mush them in place while saying "Splat." Laughed and laughed. It was a favorite of our kids a few decades ago. Getting splatted is balanced by getting to make another piece - even sillier than the last.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the second dip into the pot of homemade chili, with sauteed Kale, green salad, and baguette. Lovely end of a long day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Nice visual of trees leafed out sufficiently to block the snow from reaching the ground. So glad that your DH's surgery went well. Continue to send supportive thoughts.

maryann - Yay for the joy of students getting back into their game. Love the notion of integrating technology, perseverance, and good teachers.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for the very Beck-like, "time to say Oh Well and get right back on the plan."

curlyjax - Kudos for "used my resistance muscles." Yay for a microwaved Russet Potato instead of a brownie.

Readers -
Quote:

In the meantime, remember not to berate yourself - it's not a personal failing.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #116  

I finally got back to doing my weights and my knee tolerated it thus far. I will try to get a walk in today although its going to be a bit brisk out. I made it thru the day without sugar until the evening when I had some peanut butter and jam mixed together -wow is that good. I also made some steel oats to use as an alternate breakfast. I will have to pair it with yogurt or something as it doesn't keep me full for long, but its one of those things that seems to be so good for you.
My dad had some kind of minor surgery the other day to help with his heart/heartbeat, and sounds much perkier. He is 90 and in good shape other than memory issues. I will go see him in about a month I think.
Bill- what a lovely day. DGD is a lucky girl to have love and knowledge of nature so early.
Maryann-great that you're feeling better about school. Ooh, a strawberry field, how wonderful.
Gardenerjoy-so glad DH's surgery went well.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #117  

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP except I didn't drink my smoothie which will be a priority today. It has many of my "musts" and when I go without I I feel my plan gets a set back. I am down another pound this morning. I think that the preloading water is really helping in a number of ways. It has to be drunk on an empty stomach which I define as two hours after eating. That has curtailed my snacking. It has to be a half hour before my meal so I don't snack standing while doing meal prep which is huge for me. It strengthens my resistance muscle. Greger insists the additional weight off is not from a fuller stomach - research has controlled for that but I do feel fuller, as well. All in all, it is a plus.

gardenerjoy: Healing thoughts for DH.

Wave to everybody else.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:16 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Apollo 16 astronauts explore Moon surface (1972)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a Trader Joe's Frozen bag of veggies and shrimp sauteed in our wok. It's a good meal. DW added broccoli to make more veggies. Lunch was a peanut butter, pecan, and banana sandwich on toasted whole wheat bread. I do like that sandwich. Evening snack was a California Suma Orange and a Cosmic Crisp Apple.

Busy day with two online Zoom classes. We continue to be mesmerized by the story in Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!. Greek tragedy with a Southern accent. The leader was challenged when he ascribed a section to be the thoughts of protagonist. "Nope, it was the architect," responded one student. After reviewing the text, he was declared right. That's fun when a class is led by a peer and there isn't a presumed order of who's right.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Waving toward the hospital where you're waiting for the early round of doctors. Hope your DH continues to heal.

maryann - Congrats for developing your water loading to reduce desire for snacking. Good strategy, that.

curlyjax - It's good that you can describe surgery for your 90 year-old dad as minor. Congrats for getting in a walk in some decidedly brisk weather.

Readers -
Quote:

And I promise you that it will get easier!

Old 04-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #119  

I did not get my walk in, it was way too brisk, felt like winter. I did get out of the house to visit a client, which helped my mindset immensely. I've been grateful to work at home but I'm ready to go back to work now that I have my shots, its much better for me mentally. Demerit for visiting the chocolate shop near the client, I haven't been there in eons.Moving on. Today's excitement is seeing a dermatologist for a basic skin check, which I've never done, so that will be interesting.
Bill- i'll look for that frozen mix, it does sound good and easy. Peer lead discussion group is fun indeed.
Maryann- do you put anything in the water? It can be challenging to chug a lot of plain water for me. I've done lemon before, but then I was squeamish about it after the pandemic started.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #120  

Curleyjax: Dr. Greger says it can be as little as 1 cup of cold or room temp water but it can't have anything in it. The research shows adding anything else reduces the metobolic effectiveness. I don't think you have to chug it. I do but that is just easier for me.
BBE: Shudders to think a teacher gets a wrong answer. That happened about a thousand times yesterday.

Weight down again a little and my pants are feeling great. Excited that it is Friday. Credit for requiring myself to eat my smoothie before my dark chocolate. Credit for closing the kitchen at 4:00. That really does work the best for me unless it is a special occasion.

Wave to all.
Closed Thread