Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #16  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I had an off plan snack yesterday afternoon and weight is up a smidge. This morning I met with my PNP gals. I wanted to hike but I haven't seen them in a number of weeks, and I was glad to see them again. Even though I am not exactly following that plan I am using some of the concepts and just doing what seems to be the most helpful at the time. Not much planned for today. We did just finish giving Otis a bath. His grooming appointment got pushed out a little further because I didn't realize we didn't have one set up. The former receptionist used to call me and set them up six months at a time.

Penny Nice that some of the plants held over well. I remember seeing artichoke plants in peoples gardens in the parking strip in Tacoma.
GardenerJoy I think most of us can relate to getting overly busy and then not posting and then . . .
Maryann So glad it's the weekend and you had a better day in class. I also need to change my ticker. It hasn't been right for a couple of years I think.
Curlyjax Housework is a lot of exercise.
Bill The car seats are something else these days. I think my right arm swung out in front of Justin if we were stopping quickly was about all the safety we had. My husband still makes fun of me when I do it to him when I'm driving.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:30 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Easter Sunday - Susanna Madora Salter 1st US woman mayor (1887, Argonia, KS)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. DW declared it to be pizza night. When I picked it up, the shop was busy, busy but only one other customer was standing inside. My guess is that pizza delivery is happening big time. DW's half was mushrooms; my half was mushrooms, onions, and sausage. Good enough. I'm looking for more pizazz in the meat portion. Perhaps next time I'll skip the meat portion and order a double of their veggie version. For all the calories and the rarity of our ordering it, pizza should make me very, very happy.

From the very bowels of the basement, I brought up two rolls of vinyl flooring left over from eons ago. Left over and carefully stored for the day that a small patch would be needed and I'd be ready. Alas, vinyl flooring standing in the basement for years is rock hard, unusable. So, two more items in my life gone. About a zillion left. So much stuff to make decisions about.

Worked on finishing the taxes. Even when there's no judgement involved, it's a pain to dig into the nits. The butler should be doing this. (After he finishes washing the windows, LOL.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Sometimes I go to bed very happy that I've been over-busy all day. Back when I was working, my fear was that I'd be bored when I retired. Might happen - but hasn't yet.

maryann - Thanks for the notion of "i + 1." Seems like a sound way to reach into what a kid already knows. Kudos for making your step goal for the month. Love the image of all you kids in a convertible 1972 beetle.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat to meet up with in-the-flesh friends. Poor Otis being forced into the bath.

curlyjax - Yay for staying in bed late. I share your curiosity about where all the used car seats go. The instructions for this one say to discard it seven years after its manufacturing date. Huh? When we'd have a yard sale when the kids were small, a used car seat would be the first item sold - young couples looking for a bargain.

Penny. - Yay for Swiss chard and artichoke plants that survive winter ready to produce again. Swiss chard might be the most hearty plant in modern veggie gardens.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite

It helps you in several other ways, too. . . .

You will feel more visually satisfied. Satisfaction is not only physiological, but also it's visual and psychological. If you eat half of your food while you are preparing dinner, for example, then you will have only half left to put on the table. You just won't feel as satisfied - even though you would be eating exactly the same total amount of food - as you would if you had spread out the entire meal in front of you.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 62.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Happy Easter! A beautiful sunny morning here. I had a lovely day yesterday. A friend had a firepit which I invited manfriend to, then he and I went to dinner as planned, and he came back to my house to help me with a few things. I’m so glad we’re still good friends.
I did get DD a basket-some traditions are hard to get rid of-and we’re going to have a mellow Easter here without a big meal. Although I’m indulging in the chocolate and I’m not weighing myself today.
Bill- oh geez I forgot about the taxes! I need to finish that pronto, thanks for reminding me. Although there is an extension this year thank goodness.
Karen- yay for seeing the PNP gals, they sound like a fun bunch.
Maryann- glad you’re feeling better. I am at 174 only i’m 4 inches shorter than you, so I feel your pain. I should update my stats too.
Penny-fun to be gardening already.
Gardenerjoy- interesting about the Pony Express!
Old 04-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

Happy Easter, if you're celebrating! We got roped into a last minute plan of a family Zoom call at noon. Fortunately, it fits well into our general lack of plans for today.

I picked a Home Chef meal that seemed appropriately festive -- roast chicken breasts with fig glaze and brussels sprouts. The method is one we've used a couple of times previously with Home Chef. Roast the vegetables to about half-done while searing the meat. Then, put the meat in the same baking pan as the roast vegetables and finish both off together in the oven. While that finishes up, there's plenty of time to make a sauce. The only problem, for us, is that it's way too much meat and lacking in starch. We'll probably save half the meat for sandwiches and add some rice or potatoes.

Exercise +35, 105/1400 minutes for April
Old 04-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Happy Easter!

Yesterday was a great putter day. Laundry is done and I need to get some ironing and packing for tomorrow's trip. I picked up six pies for a family brunch at the ranch. I do not have to eat any of the pies and that feels like freedom.

After some thought and research I am recommitting to Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen app. It worked beautifully for me this summer but I got lost when school hit and my schedule became more rigid. What works for me is that I do not calorie count or restrict portions. I just have to add the healthy choices and habits that make me naturally avoid overeating. The difficult part is the timing of the tweaks. For instance, I am committing to the preloading of water. According to research, two cups of water on an empty stomach before each meal resulted in a five pound weight loss over three months. That is a big deal. That is not a result of a full stomach but a result of noradrenaline surging in your body. It is the same effect brought on by the now illegal Ephedra. So timing will be tough for my three meals. Dinner is easy except I have to let my stomach be empty ( a good thing). Breakfast I have to get up, drink the water, get ready for work and then have my coffee. Lunch is trickier and I will have to fool around with it. I am putting it under the category of Beck's arrange my environment. I will continue with black cumin, vinegar, and legumes. For my trip I bought dried chickpeas and will try to eat vegetarian when we go out to dinner. I have cooked the Dr's BROL grain bowls and prepackaged with dried fruit, pecans, and an orange balsamic for my breakfast. I am super pleased that my instapot cooked the groats so quickly. I actually added sorghum my husband grew over a couple of years. Grain lasts an incredibly long time when it is not processed.

I weighed today and readjusted my stats to 171. It makes me feel better that I show at least a two pound loss after 11 years here.

BBE: Did the Easter Bunny come to DGD?
Karen: I wish I had an active weightloss group like your PNP gals. It is so helpful to have in-person conversations.
curleyjax: I should have mailed DS a basket. My mom did. We called him today and I sure miss him.
gardenerjoy: Glad you checked in.
Penny: The thought of gardening terrifies me and here I am a farmer's wife. I love the fresh stuff he brings home, though.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #21  

Good morning coaches,

Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate. I am sure not doing anything Eastery this year. My friend and I did an early hike and no big plans for the rest of the day. Yesterday was on plan and weight is a tiny bit less. I'm working on being diligent and getting back under 150. I was under for a long time, but have been over since August. We are having a light dinner tonight. Dh will be out of town for 4 days and I am planning to go very easy on cooking. My Tucson friend will be here for a couple of days, but she doesn't need heavy meals either.

Maryann I need to look at Dr. Greger again and choose a couple of things to follow, especially the vinegar.
Have so much fun on your trip.
GardenerJoy Your dinner sounds delicious.
Curlyjax I'm glad you had such a nice day yesterday.
Bill I need a butler too so that anything that should be gone would be gone without me needing to make any decisions.
Waving to Penny!
Old 04-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #22  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Two fasting days completed successfully.

A friend asked a group of us if anyone was up for an impromptu dinner out last night and I was glad no one could go. I don't know how to deal with the situation. I could just plan on going out and having decaf or a sparkling water only, but I don't trust myself.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 04-05-2021, 05:20 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Anne Sullivan teaches "water" to Helen Keller (1887, Alabama)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk turned out to be a visit sitting in the sun on our patio. It felt good to entertain our DS for a chat just as if it were normal times. We sat outside, but all wearing jackets; it's still a bit chilly.

It felt a tad sad that we had no Easter family dinner with the kids - a tradition of long standing. I always make Easter baskets of fruits and vegetables and other silly stuff. One item of candy each. Not the 100% candy Easter baskets of my youth. I have no idea why I'm alive given what I ate as a kid. Feels good to make it through the holiday without a single piece of Easter candy. Not even a jellybean. Makes on plan eating for the day even sweeter, CREDIT moi.

Excitement is stuff sitting on the curb for the trash truck to haul away. It includes a folding table that is long past its prime, long past its use with dignity. I'd picked it up off the curb myself a year ago and used it for DW's plant sale in our driveway. It needs a stick to hold up the sagging middle. It's served its use and deserves to move on. No one passing by yesterday responded to the "FREE" sign on it; that's pretty telling.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love the notion of fig glaze. Too much meat is a problem with such a nice solution with sandwiches.

maryann - Kudos for making a decision with Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen app. Have a joyful trip. [Didn't hear if the DGD got an Easter Basket; we'll hear all about it on Wednesday.]

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for a four day stretch without your DH. Yay for planning light cooking then.

curlyjax - Congrats for making an Easter basket for your DD - some things kids never grow out of.

Penny. - Kudos for two fasting days completed successfully. That's a dilemma to want to meet with friends when you can't eat. Glad that you dodged that bullet.

Readers -
Quote:

You will have a calmer mindset. University of New Mexico research on 25 people who took a course in mindful eating determined that they naturally reduced binge-eating episodes and anxiety during eating.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

Our Easter went fine with a bare minimum of festivity, just enough to remind us that it's spring. The weather cooperated for a nice walk.

Exercise +40, 145/1400 minutes for April
Old 04-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Super Credit for a sane Easter safe from red light foods. I pre loaded with cold water 1/2 hour before eating. Very filling.I stopped eating before 6:00 pm. I filled out the check boxes on my app. Saturday I had 20 of 24. Yesterday I had 13/24. The difference is not building my meals around legumes and veggies. That is fine though considering it was a holiday. The family brunch was with the side of the the family that is nearly 100 percent morbidly obese. My grand niece and nephew who are 4 and 5 are really over weight and it is painful for me to see. I was that little girl. The amount of candy, pies, cookies, homemade ice cream at the house was unbelievable. Even the See's candy was unappealing. I have really suffered for so many years addicted to it all. What a gift to not have to dive back into it.

This morning I have my grain bowls cooking and will pack into individual servings for my trip. I have packed fruits and protein drinks. I want to stop at the store for hummus and water. The places we are staying are not hotels and therefore have no regular amenities. The airbnb is an RV and the lighthouse is rustic. I have stocked up on instant coffee. That is what gets my morning going. I am getting excited about hitting the road.

Penny: I have been in situations with friends eating and I didn't. For some reason it made everyone uncomfortable. The same situation has happened because I haven't drank alcohol for over thirty years. In the end, I have had to be willing to be uncomfortable and vulnerable. I don't like it. My longstanding friends have just rolled with my choices over the years.
BBE: Credit for not sneaking any of the stuff back into the house before garbage pick up. DH does that to me sometimes.
Karen: I do love when I can skip regular meals while DH is gone.

Wave to all.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #26  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning.

Yesterday was on plan and I started a new exercise program "hardcore on the floor". It's a calendar of classes chosen from the Peloton app and it's getting me to try classes I would never choose on my own.

Yesterday I did a core strength class, two yoga classes, and cycling. It all added up to one hour total. and then I went outside to sit in the hot tub. Wonderful day!

Bill, it feels so good to clear the clutter!

Maryann, I guess we are kind of eating the same with the whole food plant based, though I'm not getting enough vegetables for that list. I finally accepted my mango habanero salsa I've been using for breakfast is not okay because of the sugar. I thought of you when I placed it back on the shelf and reached for the healthier one. Thanks for the notes about social dining. It helps.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #27  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is 150.2. I wonder what day I will go under 150. This morning we left the house at 4:40 to take dh to the airport and then I headed for the trailhead which doesn't open until 5:45. I had packed a breakfast that I used to eat often, plain yogurt mixed with applesauce and then stir in Cheerios (which I did right before eating). I ate it in the parking lot of a grocery store near the trailhead. I hiked Bell Pass which is 7 1/2 miles and lots of incline. I'm feeling terrific today and the morning hike always helps. I took Otis for a walk as soon as I got home because it's expected to be in the lower 90's today. I don't really have any plans for the rest of the day, but I'm okay with that. I woke up about 2:30 and I'm pretty sure I'll need a nap. Today is really my only day alone because Suzanne from Tucson is coming tomorrow and a friend of dh's is driving down from WA for a couple of weeks and will likely be with us for some of that time. Now that people are vaccinated I'm happy to see them again. I will say I realize it was a bit overwhelming having as much company as we used to, so I hope there is a bit more moderation in the years to come.

Penny I've heard good things about the Peloton ap. Are you enjoying it?
Maryann There are so many really overweight people these days. Even at the pet store Saturday I saw so many. I wish there was something that could get people turned around. I can't even imagine what our countries health care costs will be in the future. In the meantime, I guess I'll just try to keep myself in line.
GardenerJoy I'm glad you had a nice Easter.
Bill It sure is easier not to eat Easter candy when it just isn't around. Good job getting the trash to the curb.
Waving to Curlyjax.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:14 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - 1st modern Olympic Games opens (1896, Athens, Greece)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was dahl. Just dahl without baguette or naan. Really good stuff. And, in honor of the Nutrition Action Newsletter ranking of veggies, DW made their number one on that list, Mustard Greens - best she's ever made. Turns out that the secret is to cook them for a full hour. That takes off that mustard-taste edge and the bite-back texture. Have no idea whether any nutrition remains, LOL. Evening snack included fresh pineapple.

Made progress reading Homo Deus for my class today. It's painful looking at mankind from 50,000 feet. We're not a rational bunch despite a heavily vested stake believing that we are. Learning to write was a major step toward who we are. Thank You Samaritans of 5500 years ago. Who, about the same time, invented money. This pair of ideas allowed enormous social organizations - like city states. For better or for worse, we needed both to create the world that evolved toward Facebook, Google, and Amazon. Thank You, I guess.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for enough warmth for an Easter walk.

maryann - Kudos for using the strategy of pre-loading with water before a large meal. Shuddering at the amount of candy you faced.

Karen (karenrn) - Yogurt, applesauce, and Cheerios sounds like a well balanced breakfast. Glad that Otis got his walk before the high temperatures arrived.

Penny. - Congrats for trying new exercise classes. You deserve to be rewarded with your newly-cleaned hot tub.

Readers -
Quote:

You will keep yourself more accountable. Eating everything slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite, helps ensure that you are aware of everything you eat. People can consume hundreds (or even thousands) of calories while standing in front of the refrigerator or kitchen cabinet. Many dieters have the sabotaging thought, Calories don't count if I eat standing up. But this, of course, is simply not true. All calories count. Your body processes calories in the same way whether you eat them while standing or sitting, whether you are fully aware of what you are eating or not, and whether you fully enjoy them or not. So since your body is going to know you ate it, you might as well enjoy it, too!

Old 04-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I ran out of time to post yesterday. I did get my weights done and made my turkey-rotini-vegetable casserole yesterday that will last me for a few days. I didn't have a plan for food but the Easter candy is gone so I only had nutritious things around. Today i'm going into my agency for training so I may treat myself to panera for dinner on the way home. I made a little headway in putting stuff on my new shelves in the tv room; step one in cleaning up. I've started telling my clients I have a new job and they've expressed they'll miss me which is always nice to hear. My lunch is all packed and my work stuff is too so I shouldn't be late today!
Maryann- have a great trip! you sound very prepared.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #30  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. I'm hiking with a friend I seldom see and then walking Otis. After that I know I need a few groceries and Suzanne from Tucson will be here at some time today. I bought a new bathing suit yesterday, but it's too small. I'll keep it cause I think it will fit later and it was not expensive. I do need to find another one though. I want a bandeau style so I don't get strap lines but have only found really inexpensive ones and quite expensive online. I have several that need to go in the garbage because they are so worn out. Having a pool I like to have several and I haven't purchased one for a couple of years.

I better get moving, personals later or tomorrow.
Closed Thread