3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/322562-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-march-2021-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 03-01-2021 05:56 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life

and the first book

The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes 03-01-2021 05:57 AM

Monday - Yellowstone becomes the world's 1st national park (1872, Wyoming)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent another frustrating several hours working with a neighbor trying to get the tire on our community snow thrower repaired. Failed. We're so close; just can't get the tubed tire to accept air from the compressor. Somehow we've twisted thing about inside. We stopped for the day before we both grew so frustrated that we'd just toss the thing. After all, with the arrival of March, it must be Spring.

Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS, and DIL along a two-mile path around the local reservoir. Great to catch up on those two. They're so bursting to get away - as in anywhere away - that they're planning a camper van trip to the Massachusetts Berkshires in May. They hope for vaccinations before then, but are prepared to travel distanced in their van even if they don't.

I'm even getting into this breaking out notion. Talked to my brother who wants to travel to Boston with his wife, both double vaccinated, this summer. We welcomed them; we'll both be double vaccinated by then and, according to the good Dr. Fauci, can socialize unmasked in our house together. Haven't had a house guest in over a year. DW wonders if we'll know how to act in a restaurant. I feel like we'll be leaving the pit we've been in.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the discussion about the different kinds of support we need at different points along our path, particularly that there's a point when we need the grieve and complain place and a point when we're past that.

maryann - Had to google Dansko Paisleys to understand. I really expected shoes covered in the neat 1950's tear drop pattern like the clogs in their store linked. They do sound comfortable. Catalina Island has long been on my bucket list even though I've learned more about swallows than Bing Crosby sang about.

Karen (karenrn) - Droll for your split pea with ham soup - especially good in our cold winter here. Yay for naps.

curlyjax - Yay for getting "just enough" scallops. We love cod fish around here - but the choice of coating is critical. Maybe you'll find another way that you like better.

Penny. - LOL, with a wince, at "My vaccine got its first real stretch." Am thinking of that issue as we approach our second jab. Now we'll have to decide when to test the thing, like riding the Boston subway.

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily

reality check

If you are thinking: I don't feel like doing this task.
Face reality: If you want to lose weight permanently, you will have to learn to do things you don't necessarily feel like doing at the moment. But the payoff is so great!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 56.

curlyjax 03-01-2021 08:22 AM

I went for a good walk with my two friends, and may have volunteered to help with an online church fundraiser, ack. I’ve taken some time off from volunteering there, but since one of my friends is organizing it i’ll feel guilty if I don’t help:)
I made the lentil soup and made a small portion of cauliflower soup too, with frozen riced cauliflower. Both are no points except for the olive oil so yay. I keep blowing thru my points but am eating healthy foods and decent portions so I’m not going to worry about it for now. Dinner tonight and tomorrow will be turkey meatloaf and some roasted veggies. I have lots of pots and pans to wash today as I decided to do a marathon watching of Inspector Lewis before my free subscription runs out, and it was worth it.
Maryann: thanks for the mention of Dansko shoes, I’ll look into those.
Karen: I love naps! When I’m alone in the house and can take one on the sofa, its just the best weekend thing.
Penny-I envy you for trying out your vaccine! A birthday party sounds wonderful.
Bill-hopefully you can forget about the snow blower until next year. Great to have visitors to look forward to.
Gardenerjoy-I found the FB support groups very helpful for questions. My situation was different since we knew DH was terminal so there was a lot of sadness there, but still helpful.

maryann 03-01-2021 09:57 AM

Good morning coaches. Phone check in Running late. Food OP yesterday. There was too much but I did get my steps in and starting the day fresh. Have a wonderful morning.

karenrn 03-01-2021 10:51 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and plan is made for today. Dh is happy to finish the ice cream without me and I am happy to have had some the other day, so that works out fine. I decided not to hike today cause I need to get some things done to be ready to head to Tucson Wednesday and I'll be hiking most of the day tomorrow.

I went back to bed for an hour this morning cause I woke up at 2:30 and that was simply too early. I have a hair appointment at 1, so there won't be a nap today. Better get moving. Have a great day!

Penny. 03-01-2021 01:05 PM

Quick check in. Yesterday was overbudget with calories but I did get in a good workout.

yes to full success today!

gardenerjoy 03-01-2021 04:42 PM

A late and quick check-in. I didn't eat over yesterday's fatigue and I got a lot of sleep last night, so I'm doing better today.

Exercise +25, 1150/1400 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes 03-02-2021 04:56 AM

Tuesday - "The Sound of Music" starring Julie Andrews is released (1965, NYC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - DW and I both got our second jab of COVID vaccination. From leaving our front door to re-entering was exactly 70 minutes. And that included their mandatory fifteen minute wait to see if we would feel faint. Was told that any reaction would likely occur in about twelve hours. So far, neither of us has reaction. DW has a slight muscle soreness where the shot went in. Feel like we won the lottery here.

In the afternoon, I managed to get two errands done in one trip. CREDIT moi for the joy of beating the system, LOL. The simple task of picking up a prescription at CVS was complicated by their automated system telling me that I couldn't get vaccinated there and that the pharmacist didn't have time to tell each patron that over and over. They don't have any. Don't ask. Felt a tad unfriendly, but I can imagine their problem.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Life just goes on.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for catching up on your sleep to get your mind in the groove.

maryann - Kudos for getting in your planned steps.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you feel safe to do hair appointments. Yep, 2:30 am is a tad early.

curlyjax - I do like lentil soup. Always LOL at WW's no points foods; I'd spend my days trying to beat the system.

Penny. - Go for it, "yes to full success today!"

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

I want you to get in the habit of weighing yourself each morning for the rest of your life. You can do serious damage to your diet if you know you won't have to face the music the next morning. You can also become seriously demoralized if you have followed your diet faithfully all week but the one day you weight yourself the number on the scale goes up, perhaps due to water retention. You might conclude the diet isn't working when, in reality, it's just a normal, temporary gain. Weighing yourself daily will help you avoid these pitfalls.

karenrn 03-02-2021 07:10 AM

Good morning coaches,

I'd better post now cause I doubt I'll get to it later. Heading out in an hour to meet my friend to hike 15 miles in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. It's been an annual thing and this is my 4th time. We park a car on each end. It's up and down and connecting lots of different trails. It's with my backpacking buddy so we are in training mode together. Food was on plan yesterday and weight is inching down. I'll be leaving about 6 a.m. tomorrow to head to Tucson, but I will likely post from there.

Bill Glad you and dw got your second jab. Today they are opening out appointments at some locations for those 55 and older. I think dh may way another 10 days to get an appointment that is very nearby. He has to be 65 to sign up for the nearby jab.
GardenerJoy I'm glad you got rested up. Take care and I hope you continue to feel better. Emotional stress is exhausting.
Penny I hope you had full success yesterday.
Curlyjax It sounds like you're making some very healthy meals. Good job for that.
Maryann Waving to you!

Okay, time to fill the Camelback, pack the backpack and get some breakfast.

Oh, one other thing. My hair is so short. Holy moly. It's actually cute, but why do they have to get so carried away. Thank goodness hair grows.

curlyjax 03-02-2021 08:30 AM

Good day yesterday. Baked my turkey meatloaf- and threw a little spinach in there too this time-and roasted two trays of vegetables that I will eat over the next two days. I realized I ate a whole medium sized zuchini, goodness. I'm doing great with planned dinners but need to figure out a better plan for lunch that's filling; I feel like i'm hungry quite a bit even though i'm eating often.Some of the WW guidelines seem arbitrary: fruit is no points but if you put it in a smoothie it suddenly has points. It still feels you up if there's yogurt in there, its not like you're juicing it. I take it all with a grain of salt and watch my portions of fruit anyhow.
I got my weights done and had a nice conversation with DD. I listened sympathetically to her roommate woes until she started complaining about what a slob one was in the kitchen. I burst out laughing-"Mom! It's not like being at home"- apparently its okay to not clean up at home but not out in the "real world". Sheesh.
Karen- I know, I told my hairdresser last time I didn't want it so short, but she must have forgot as she chatted away. Next time I will firmly say just a trim, and see if that works. Have a great hike
Bill-that's great you both feel good and it was quick. There are signs up at my local drugstores: No covid shots here! I'm sure they are quite tired of being asked.

maryann 03-02-2021 09:31 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Speaking of haircuts, Karen, I have mine today. I haven't regretted going short a couple of years ago. My hair is curly though so it is easy upkeep. I always remember some Glamour magazine article about older women not hanging on to long hair. I really think it depends on the hair. I was freaking out because I was losing so much of it. Ah! Aging with dignity. Enjoy your hike.
curleyjax: The smoothie rule in WW didn't work for me because I have a Vitamix which includes the fiber. But I am also like BBE and try to work the freed food system. Good for you for being willing to watch your servings.

Lots of "to -do" boxes checked yesterday despite having work as well. I made reservations for the Hi Point Montera Light House https://www.hiusa.org/find-hostels/c...brillo-highway for SIL and me. We decided tours and hikes around Highway 1 lighthouses instead of Catalina. We will hit Point Reyes and Muir Woods. Knowing that is coming up I am taking a sick day on Thursday to see my new podiatrist. I don't want to live with my foot like this anymore. So credit for making all kinds of exercise happen - planned and unplanned. I also ate several servings of plant based whole foods, added a little vinegar and weighed in.

Final Frugal February report: I did an amazing job cutting spending. I spent a third of what I spent the previous month. I will continue it into March ( not so drastic) and began by going through textbooks yesterday. I went into boxes in the garage. It is a graveyard of passed curriculum I have taught. I needed a book I used 30 years ago, Creative Growth Games. I put the isbn number of about twenty other books I had to dig under into SellYourBooks.com. They bought 5 for $15.00 total plus they paid shipping. Now I have another 15 books I can donate. It is not about the money but about getting things to places where they are useful and of course freeing up the space in my house.

Have a great day.

gardenerjoy 03-02-2021 12:03 PM

Today has already included the grand adventure of getting DH's new Medicare plan listed as his insurance in our medical provider's system. We'll test it out this afternoon when he gets his PSA checked a final time before we make our decision.

If it all goes well, tomorrow's adventure will be getting him off of my insurance. That will represent a considerable savings. Plus his new plan is better in many ways.

Exercise +45, 45/1400 minutes for March

Penny. 03-02-2021 01:41 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was slightly overbudget and a good exercise session was had. Today is weights day!

I made pea soup and it came out not thick as a brick for once. Today I need to make some vegetables and maybe a bean soup. Bread needs made.

Bill, congrats on getting the vaccine!

Joy, fingers crossed for an optimal PSA.

BillBlueEyes 03-03-2021 05:15 AM

Wednesday - Care Giver Appreciation Day (since 2020)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was salmon with tomatoes and potatoes baked in the microwave. It's a recipe from years ago that DW has recently resurrected when it's too cold to even step outside to the grill. Evening snack was my planned Cosmic Crisp Apple.

Trip to the supermarket was boring - just the way it should be. Thought there'd be a crowd trying to get inside out of the 14 degree F, cold but there wasn't. Maybe excitement from a trip to the supermarket is over. Isn't that a happy thought.

Still have no response to my second COVID vaccine jab. I like that. I have to admit that I was worried - concerned that I'd even have to give up a day with the DGD or miss a class as I lay, suffering, unable to move, gasping for breath, wishing for relief. (Did I even mention that I'm male?)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Congrats for working the paperwork of the medical insurance system. The challenge for me signing up for Medicare was that I confused it with Medicaid - the assistance plan. Now I believe that everyone over 65 HAS to be on Medicare with a supplemental insurance of their choice if they so desire.

maryann - Point Reyes and Muir Woods are just the best. So jealous of you getting to walk them. Yay for getting books back into circulation.

Karen (karenrn) - Certainly understand your DH's desire for a local appointment for his jab. We have a local story of folks driving an older woman two hours for a jab but she died on the trip there. They had to search for a hospital in an unfamiliar territory. There's no information that the drive contributed to her death - or didn't - but it has locals wagging their fingers at the system.

curlyjax - Two trays of roasted veggies sounds like a good accompaniment to any meal.

Penny. - LOL at the thought of pea soup "thick as a brick." Sliced thin and served on toast.

Readers -
Quote:

Research shows that daily weigh-ins are important. A university of Minnesota study of more than 3,000 dieters determined that only the dieters who weighted themselves daily were able to lose weight and keep it off over a year's time.

curlyjax 03-03-2021 08:17 AM

I think I need some more low cal protein to fill me up, I'm feeling hungry yet I'm eating a lot. Probably too many starches although they've all been better choices than I used to make, ie a big baked potato covered with lower calorie cheese sauce, instead of a microwave mug cake. tonight I'm going to have a broccoli-chicken mixture with mozzarella cheese that I froze; I'll see how well it did. I did do 30 minutes of aerobics yesterday so credit for that.
I'm spending too much time just enjoying the quiet and getting used to living alone, I need to get going on stuff like getting rid of an old car and the taxes.And force myself outside for a walk at least: I'm turning into a hermit that doesn't leave the house during the week.

maryann 03-03-2021 09:44 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was healthy food but too much. So maintenance again. I am not walking because I have the foot apt. tomorrow and I don't want to exacerbate a condition. The new shoes came and I am optimistic they will help.

I am drowning in a sea of correcting. It is an apt metaphor because it does come in waves. I have MacGyvered a standing desk with cardboard boxes. I will alternate with desks because my back can't take so much sitting. Looks like the kids will be coming back the third week of March. I think that is good. I am a little dubious of what it will be like to teach kids who have basically grown feral for a year :)

curleyjax: Legumes were my ticket in WW for filling. Edamame especially did the trick. But I have never really been successful so take my advice with a grain of salt.
BBE: No jab effects is a good thing.
gardenerjoy: It is a great satisfaction to check the box on a big thing like insurance.
Penny: Yeah for a reasonable food budget and exercise.

gardenerjoy 03-03-2021 09:45 AM

DH's new insurance card was accepted by the medical system when he went in for his PSA yesterday. We're very interested in this number because the radiologist suggested that it might be useful for decision-making. If it's much higher than previous, that could mean that the cancer has spread a little outside the prostate -- radiation would kill any cancer cells in the prostate and near it. If it's about the same, that could mean that the cancer is contained within the prostate -- so there's a good chance that surgical removal of the prostate would take care of it for good.

One of today's goals is to get him off my insurance. Since he's six years older than me, that's going to be a big drop in the premium payments.

Exercise +45, 90/1400 minutes for March

Penny: Thanks for your suggestion to turn off notifications from the prostate cancer partner support group. I did that this morning. Another friend warned that the problem with the internet is that you're likely to see only the most extreme cases. I think that's doubly true for this support group because the people who need the most support are the ones who will tell their stories. At this stage, I don't need to see the worst possible outcomes.

Penny. 03-03-2021 10:47 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. I had no bread for my usual breakfast so replaced it with oatmeal- still topped with avocado, salsa, and sauerkraut, and was surprised I didn't even think about food again until afternoon. I'm usually thinking about food again by 10am.

Making oatmeal feels like too much work in the morning but I had to try it again today, even with bread made.

Bill, yay for no adverse symptoms. I sure napped and felt zapped of energy after but not too bad.

Joy, I'm glad you got your FB settings fixed. Those little things help with anxiety so much for myself.

karenrn 03-03-2021 02:23 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

Food as on a generous plan yesterday due to our 15.4 mile hike with 3500+ feet elevation gain. Actually I'm at the lowest weight that I've been since August 20th. I'm elated and my plan is to stick with a good plan during this time I'm in Tucson. I arrived here just after 8 this morning. I took my friend to the surgicenter at 10 and then came back to try to get on the guided Tahoe Rim Trail thru hike . . . no luck. We will either have to look at a guided section hike or just do something ourselves. I will be working hard to stay sane during my time here. I am feeling very used and have promised myself I will go home on Sunday and without my friend. She is going to have to hire a little help. I've gone to the grocery store cause there wasn't much food in the house and now it's time to put the sheets on her bed. Oh, that is after I fold the clothes that are on her bed. Whine, whine. Pray for me if you are a prayer . . . no pray for my friend so that she doesn't notice my bad attitude.

Penny Now that sounds like an odd concoction for breakfast, but if it was satisfying and you liked it then great!
GardenerJoy That's great news that you can take dh off your insurance and save money. Fingers crossed for a good PSA number.
Maryann That is great that the students will be back in the classroom. Will summer vacation remain the same?
Curlyjax I think it's wonderful that you're enjoying your peaceful surroundings. I often find I'm not hungry, but a little bored, procrastinating or? Are you really feeling hungry? Maybe it will just take a little time to adjust.
Bill I thought sure I would feel poorly after jab#2 also, but nada. Dh did end up making an appointment at the 24/7 stadium on the other side of town all on his own. He made the appointment yesterday at noon when they were first being scheduled and goes for #1 tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. I was so proud of him.

BillBlueEyes 03-04-2021 05:13 AM

Thursday - FDR, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" (1933, Inauguration speech)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. We had reservations to the zoo. (I find is so odd to make reservations at a zoo - the ultimate walk into place in my life.) She covered the whole place in one hour and twenty minutes. She's been there before so she can lead the way; all the animals are familiar to her. And, when she's done looking at something, she's DONE. PERIOD. NO GOING BACK. Have to be in the grandparent mode to travel with her.

Eating was on plan with limited daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Unplanned snack in the car was a handful of animal crackers that the DGD rejected because they weren't her favorite. I guess that I'm pleased that she feels that she doesn't need to eat something just because it's offered. Then I set the opposite example of what I'd like her to be like by accepting them when passed up to the front seat a few at at time where I'm driving. I'm not that picky about animal crackers. Dinner was a frozen Trader Joe's entree, Chicken Alfredo Fettuccine. It was remarkable good for a meal from a bag; we'll have it again.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for the milestone that the new insurance card was accepted. Here's hoping for good numbers from his test.

maryann - Neat that you "MacGyvered a standing desk." Do you think that it's good news that the kids are coming back?

Karen (karenrn) - Hope you continue to survive in a challenging situation.

curlyjax - LOL at, "I'm turning into a hermit that doesn't leave the house during the week." This COVID isolation is doing this to all of us.

Penny. - Oatmeal topped with sauerkraut is a new one for me. Hoping that the culinary police don't drop by for an inspection.

Readers -
Quote:

Dieters who weighed less frequently or not at all tended to gain weight. And a Brown University study of 314 dieters determined that people who weighed daily were better able to follow their diets, felt less depressed, and were less likely to binge-eat.

curlyjax 03-04-2021 08:28 AM

Eating was OP yesterday. I zipped out to the store to buy some PB2 that is mentioned on WW. It is powdered peanut butter that reduces a lot of the fat and calories. I tried it mixed with some other stuff and it wasn't bad. I also bought berries on sale as I haven't had any in awhile.I didn't get to my outside walk, but did some stationary biking as I talked to a client; more for hip exercise than anything else. I finally booked an appt for a routine checkup with a dermatologist which I've been meaning to do for eons, and I started looking into the process of donating a car; Step one; "have the title in hand before you call" instructed one website. Good reminder, I need to find it:)
Today I do have a friend coming for a lunchtime walk which will be great.
Karen- It feels like real hunger, although maybe its thirst. I should look at the calories of what i'm eating too. Good job setting boundaries with your friend; she can certainly hire help.
Penny- that is an interesting combo! Funny, I'm always hungry after oatmeal but my soda bread fills me up.
Ack its late, need to get going.

gardenerjoy 03-04-2021 10:54 AM

Oddly, for me, I think I'm having trouble with sleeping too much. We've been getting to bed before 10. My brain decided that now that it's "spring" I shouldn't get up until sunrise which is just before 7. But that's a long time to be in bed. I woke up with lower back pain, today, a normal symptom of being in bed too long. I noticed on my calendar that after we "spring forward" on the 14th, sunrise won't be until 7:30. So, I need to remember that it's still winter and that I like getting up before sunrise in the winter.

DH's PSA numbers were up a little. We're going to ask the doctors, but our guess is that it's far short of "skyrocketing" which makes surgery still seem like the best thing to try first. The upside of my little foray into too much information a few days ago was that we got motivated to talk more and to look at the material we've been given. We're now pretty confident that we know what questions that we want to ask of the doctors and that the answers will lead us to a decision that we can be at peace with.

Exercise +55, 145/1400 minutes for March

Penny. 03-04-2021 12:19 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. It's only two days in a row and I already have a challenge tonight. I'm staying at a lodge with dinner reservations and will most likely order a drink or two.

Karen, good luck in Tuscon.

Have a great day, everyone!

karenrn 03-04-2021 12:45 PM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. I haven't made a plan yet today, but I will and I know what I'm going to eat already and have had my Cheerios for breakfast with almond milk. I brought my breakfast and lunch food and have been to the store twice already and will soon be going again. My friend did fine in surgery and I don't think she really told me this, but I'm pretty sure it was a partial knee replacement. I am not totally sure how those work, but I dropped her off at 10 and picked her up at 2:30. She walked into the condo with the walker and it is is a little walk, more than from the driveway into a house. I know it is painful but they did a block which is probably wearing off and she is able to tolerate it. I am just not used to waiting on anybody. It doesn't come natural to me even though I'm a nurse. However, the main thing is she is doing better than expected and I won't feel uncomfortable leaving her here and going home on Sunday mid morning.

Penny Enjoy the drinks and the fun time.
GardenerJoy I'm glad dh's numbers didn't skyrocket. Maybe a little extra sleep isn't so bad just now with the extra stress.
Curlyjax I think it's always good to experiment with new foods. If even some of them work, that's a good thing.
Bill Kids are funny and yes it's good when they want to have their way that we love them enough not to care. The chicken alfredo fettuccine sounds good. I may just go to TJ's and buy some.
Waving to Maryann!

Well I think I'll head out to the store once again. I need some water and we don't drink the tap water here unless it's been filtered.

Don't quit thinking of me yet, I have 3 days to go.

BillBlueEyes 03-05-2021 06:22 AM

Friday - Crispus Attucks Day (First American to die at Boston Massacre of 1770)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was my much-too-busy day of the week with two Zoom classes, an errand, two evening Zoom lectures, and sheets to put on the bed before I could sleep. The two classes continue for ten more weeks; the evening Zoom lectures are somewhat random.

The lecture by Ashley Hammond, newly named Curator at the American Museum of Natural History, titled The Last Common Ancestor, thrilled me to know that there are still paleontologists doing field work in Kenya looking for our ancestors. Alas, even that work is on pause waiting for travel to be safe in COVID times. I now know more about the pelvic bone than I'd ever imagined. Walking comfortably requires a different shape than is useful for swinging in the trees. Of all the jobs I'm not qualified to perform, examining fossil bones is high on the list.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with dinner at my computer Zooming while DW was on hers. Wasn't quite like our normal dinner together catching up on the day and swapping interpretations of the day's news. Dinner was omelettes, sweet potato, and fresh spinach. Good food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for numbers that are far short of "skyrocketing". Continued supportive thoughts as you plow through all the reading to understand your options.

Karen (karenrn) - Good news that your friend is doing better than expected.

curlyjax - LOL at "have the title in hand before you call" could be followed by, "You can't donate it if you don't own it, stupid." Berries on sale is always a fun feeling.

Penny. - Sounds like a fun evening. Hope you can both enjoy and be sane.

Readers -
Quote:

A separate study of 209 maintainers fond that those who weighted daily were 82 percent less likely to regain their weight compared with those who weighted only weekly.

curlyjax 03-05-2021 08:14 AM

So great to have a good nights sleep finally.I was so tired yesterday I finally managed to get to bed and turn off the light at 10 which is early for me. I did go for a 45 minute lunchtime walk with a friend which probably helped wear me out.
I ate too many points but today is a new day. DD is coming home for a quick weekend so I may zip over to the grocery store tonight and get a few things for her. She wants me to make muffins but I don't want to have a bunch in the house and I don't have enough control to stay out of them freshly baked from the oven, so I may buy some. My first big challenge! I also need to pick up the house some. I guess its not just the kids making a mess!
Bill- those classes look really interesting. Is it me, or are profs much younger than they used to be:)
Karen- glad your friend is doing better. Waiting on people is exhausting indeed, i'm glad you can leave as planned.
Penny- good luck at the lodge, sounds fun.
Gardenerjoy-good luck with the decisions; glad you have more info to help sort it out.

karenrn 03-05-2021 09:21 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was not quite on plan yesterday. My friend ended up not feeling so well by the afternoon so planned dinner was not appealing. I ended up having a sandwich on thin sliced bread and also a couple of small crisp ginger snaps in the evening. We started watching The Black Church kind of late and hopefully will continue watching it earlier today. We were both enjoying it. My friend sleeps with her back and head very elevated and this morning her leg is quite swollen. At about 5:30 we got her rearranged with pillows under her leg and her leg packed in ice packs. I hope she can get a few more ours of sleep. It's a balance to keep the leg elevated at times, but then flat so that the knee is not bent. I'm hoping she can get turned back around in the next 48 hours.

I did get out for probably a 3 mile hike yesterday in Ventana Canyon which is just a couple of miles away. Today I may try to go for a bit of a walk at Sabino Canyon which is also nearby. My food plan is made for the day and I'll have my cheerios soon.

Curlyjax What about just sending dd over to Starbucks or someplace to get a muffin? No need to sabotage yourself.
Bill That sounds like a busy day. Lots of zooming. Boy I wish I had bought that stock.

Waving to the others. I may pop back in later.

maryann 03-05-2021 09:23 AM

Good Morning, Coaches. A marathon Drs. Day yesterday . Up for an early blood test for me than the new podiatrist. I am already mad at myself for sticking to the old one so long. This guy took one look at my foot and celared it is my high high arches again. I declared it was the outside of my foot. Nope. I was walking funny. So I am back to battling the plantars fasciae. It has now become chronic with age. Even the new orthotics the old Doc gave me won't work. So i am now on a course of steroids (Really? For my Feet?) and twice a day Alleve. He modified the new orthotics. I must also ice everyday. Then off to DH's appt. He did not qualify for "watch and wait." He is a great candidate for surgery with a low risk number. So in three months he will go back and set a date. This is good for him because he wants to plan it during slow season. We will face possible surgery complications later. One day at a time.

Knowing that I am now on steroids and anti inflammatories has given me new motivation in increasing good fat and protein in my diet and lowering carbohydrates. I am already on weight gaining medication. This will be a miracle if I maintain. For this 12 day course, I will cut out wheat. I will bike today to get off my feet and do stretches and planks at home.

gardenerjoy: I sleep a lot. It seems like a waster of time but that is how I function.
Karen: I had to learn by doing things I don't want to but because they are kind are often the best kind of service. I learn a lot about myself and then get to go home and appreciate my life.
curleyjax: LOL about a new realization that the kids aren't the only messy ones.
BBE: You sound like you have a regular college schedule.
Penny. Enjoy the night of food temptation. As Beck says. It is not even a whole night, just a few hours of a day.

gardenerjoy 03-05-2021 11:16 AM

I watched the sun rise while making my second cup of tea. I feel better today. But, I accept karenrn's suggestion that I might need more sleep, right now. Sleep is something that I want to keep assessing and not rely on assumptions from previous experience.

Exercise +45, 190/1400 minutes for March

Penny. 03-05-2021 03:06 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was over budget but my workout was very good.

I enjoyed my night out. After dinner and the soaking pool (think giant hot tub...not sure why they don't just call it that), with my friend, we parted ways because she had to check out early for an appointment.

This morning, before checking out, I got a knock on the door with room service and turned them away because I hadn't ordered anything. I was laughing at whomever ordered booze so early in the morning when they knocked again. Apparently my friend ordered me breakfast on her way out: a fruit cup, iced coffee and a mimosa. So, I was the one drinking booze at 9am. Haha!

Karen, nurses are the worst caretakers, aren't we? Ha! I mean I can do it but it's going to be all business.

BillBlueEyes 03-06-2021 06:00 AM

Saturday - Sculptor, painter and architect Michelangelo born (1475, Caprese, Italy)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was a trip to Costco. Hadn't been there in a while. Did my errand and then walked the whole store. Three sample stations were active. But they weren't giving out samples. Had signs, "For display purposes only" with a smocked attendant standing there looking bored. Despite the signs, I went through the debate whether or not to take each sample. I decided against two, CREDIT moi, then decided to take the third. Duh! Finally read the sign to realize that they weren't giving out samples. My brain just wouldn't accept it, LOL. I did pick up a frozen pot roast dinner and a frozen Chicken Tikka Masala dinner. Evening Zoom events are eating away at the time DW would like to spend making dinner. Some backup frozen entrees might become a new normal for us.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. We gathered dinner each at our separate computers for an evening Zoom lecture. We waited. And waited. For whatever reason, it never happened. Nor did an embarrassed Director of Programs appear to apologize that a flight had been cancelled and the speaker was in Abu Dhabi. The odd silver lining is that we both did other stuff on our computers while waiting and we didn't waste time traveling back and forth.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - What an early riser! It's on my Bucket List to own a home on the ocean where I watch sunrise while my butler brings my coffee. And croissant.

maryann - Ouch for the challenge of finding the right podiatrist. Congrats to you and your DH for being so clear about choosing the right path for him.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you're taking care of yourself with walks in the nearby canyons. You're being a good friend.

curlyjax - Kudos for "but today is a new day" - Beck thinking, that. Yep, I'm listening to lectures from esteemed professors who are younger than my own kids.

Penny. - Sounds like a gloriously successful adventure. LOL at turning away the breakfast.

Readers -
Quote:

tip:
If you suspect that a medication is causing you to gain weight or that you suffer from a thyroid abnormality or other medial problem that might block weight loss, discuss the situation with your health-care provider. Although many dieters I have worked with initially suspected a medical problem was keeping them from losing weight, invariably they were eating hundreds and hundreds more calories each day then they realized.

curlyjax 03-06-2021 08:40 AM

Weight in day. I’m down 8 ounces, I’ll take it. A grand total of 4 pounds in 2 weeks which is a great average. I think I’m going to be on the slooooow train to weight loss,I have a feeling it may trickle down to one pound a week, but as long as it keeps going down I’ll be happy. At 174 it’s the lowest its been since the summer, so that is awesome. I had a craving for beef for a few days, so I bought ¼ pound ground beef only and made myself a wonderful burger, and enjoyed every minute of it. I also bought muffins for DD, stuck them in a bag and did not get into them. I did enjoy some banana pb2 cocoa powder “brownie” for dessert which is much less caloric, although I should probably stop doing that so much.
I did my weights yesterday. I was going to go for a walk with a friend today who lives a distance away but we both wimped out; it’s still winter and cold, we’ll do it in a few weeks. I’m hoping to do coffee outside in our cars for like 20 minutes with a closer by friend instead. I really miss meeting for lunch but none of us want to do that yet.
Bill-ah, the old days when you could sample your way thru the store. Yay for frozen entrees to make life easier.
Karen-I’ve heard knee replacements are very painful, more than hips. Glad you’re finding some hikes to keep you going.
Penny- I haven’t had a mimosa in eons, I hope you enjoyed it!
Maryann- glad you could find a new podiatrist that will actually help. Good to have a plan for DH; I found the not knowing bit was really hard.
Gardenerjoy- sleep is very healing for sure.

gardenerjoy 03-06-2021 09:30 AM

I may have lucked into a COVID shot. Part of this story may be useful to others who aren't yet eligible but would be interested in taking a shot that would otherwise go to waste.

Walmart has established a "no waste protocol." From the customer perspective, as far as I've been able to tell, this means calling the pharmacy at one or more Walmarts and ask to be put on their "no waste protocol" waiting list. The process probably varies from there, but the one I read about was that you'd be notified of an available shot, given 15 minutes to respond to the notification and two hours to get into the store to take the shot.

I assumed that the St. Louis County Walmarts were being flooded with calls as soon as the word got out, so I started thinking about which Walmart within two hours that I'd be happy to go to on short notice. I called the one in Pike County, where I grew up. It's about an hour and a half from my house, traveling very familiar roads.

This is where the luck came in. That Walmart opened its appointments at about 6am yesterday. A whole bunch of people in the St. Louis area signed up. At about 12:30pm yesterday, a lot of the St. Louis Walmarts opened appointments. People who had Pike County appointments were able to grab closer appointments, so they called and canceled their Pike County appointment.

That left the Pike County pharmacist in a lurch. She no longer had enough appointments to run the planned clinic on Wednesday. So she was using her very short "no waste protocol" list to fill appointments. Without them, she would have to cancel it all together. I made it very clear that I wasn't eligible and didn't want to take a shot from someone who is. She made it very clear that I was doing a favor for all of her eligible patients by making sure that there were enough committed appointments for her to run the clinic.

So, I have an appointment at 11am on Wednesday. I'm trying not to hold too tightly to the idea in case she bumps me for someone who needs it more.

I would be really happy to get it. It's the Johnson & Johnson shot so just one dose. Perfect for my current situation. I'll have a reasonable amount of protection as we go into a more intense time for DH's medical needs. And we won't have to plan those needs around my second shot. And, we'll reduce the likelihood that I get COVID while spending all this time in medical settings, just when he needs me to be healthy and functional to help him with his medical needs.

Exercise +35, 225/1400 minutes for March

karenrn 03-06-2021 10:29 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but my only exercise was to walk to the mailbox. Suz was not feeling well yesterday with intermittent nausea and more, so I didn't feel good about leaving. The good news is that her leg looks good. After being a bit swollen yesterday a.m. it is not today. The bad news is the nausea has continued with emesis. I called the doctor this morning and the antibiotic is being discontinued. I hope that was the culprit. Anyway I didi some nursing things and we're hoping they will help. We considered a trip to the ER for fluids and an IV antiemetic, but we are hoping that won't be necessary. Anyway, over the course of these few days I have gotten a better attitude and I am actually glad I can be here to help. My nursing skills are being used and I know she feels safe with me here. I won't go home until the nausea is gone and she is able to take food and fluids well. At this point I think Monday would be the earliest. I hope not longer, but we'll see.

GardenerJoy I'm so glad you found a plan to get your vaccine. You are right, the one dose J&J will be perfect so you don't have to worry about getting a second jab.
Curlyjax You are right, down is down. These days I just say to myself, "And how much would that be in a year?" and also, "Is this something that is sustainable, that I can do for the rest of my life." We have all been on different food plans or diets where the weight came off quickly and came back just as quickly.
Bill I do pick up a prepared food item occasionally. Sometimes it is just nice to have something quick and easy. Some of them turn out to be pretty good and some not, but they are quick and easy.
Penny I've turned my attitude around since my patient is feeling so lousy. I can't help but feel sorry for her and to realize I am right where I need to be right now. The good news is that she is a nurse too and tries to do as much as possible for herself.
Maryann I hope the steroids help the foot pain right away. Heck, I've known a number of people who have had steroid injections for plantar fasciitis. Dh swears by soaking it in ice water in one of those pink wash basins from the hospital. He hasn't had problems for some time now that he never goes barefoot.

Well for any of you prayers, send one up for Suz that the GI issues resolve. Have a good weekend.

maryann 03-06-2021 11:00 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Lots of "to do" boxes checked yesterday:
1. Caught up on lots of correcting
2. Iced my feet.
3. Ignored bread and the scale didn't pop up hardly at all from the meds.
4. Food shopped with now plenty of fresh fruit in the house.
5. Sold two more pairs of sandals on Poshmark. I will have earned enough (total for two months) to pay for the outrageously priced Danskos. They are completely worth it if they make my feet work.
6. Taught students about three non violent movements: Little Rock Nine, Trumboand the blacklist, and the Selma march. DS pleaded with me to teach about censorship and what is happening to Dr. Suess. I put it on the lesson plan for Monday.
7. Set up a small checking account with my bank through a online phone appt. to link to my Paypal and Venmo.

Phew. I am exhausted just thinking about it all. :)

Today I am going to gloriously putter. Backyard needs tending. I am going to bike for an hour to start reaching my step goal for the month. It is officially Spring-like here. I will switch out the wardrobe to cull the winter clothes that didn't sell on Poshmark. I donate them to a few of the farm families that work for us.I have to reorganize bureaus so sweaters have room in the cedar drawers. Then I'll bring out my spring summer clothes and list the clothes that I no longer need. This place is really getting into shape.

BBE: We are certainly being helped out with no samples at Costco although I really!!!!!!! miss salad bars.
Penny: There is nothing like getting away even for a day.
Karen: It is true about attitude adjustments. One of the reasons you probably retired was to be able to use your skills in a way not regimented in a "12 hour shift" way. Now you can use all your incredible knowledge to help just one friend.
gardenerjoy: I am working on DH's shot. Looks like we are playing the cancer card and will get help soon.
curleyjax: Karen taught me to put PB in the greek yoghurt. I use a little swerve with it and chocolate balsamic vinegar. The vinegar helps boost your metabolism - per Dr. Greger.

Penny. 03-06-2021 02:19 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday ended in an oven baked fries binge. Ugh. Then I did a spin class video at 11pm because the coffee (gift) from breakfast still had me wired. That is why I do decaf.

New day.

Joy, congrats on getting a vaccine appointment!

Curly, it's always good to see a loss on the scale. Good job!

Karen, I'm glad you are feeling better about things. Nausea is the worst!

Maryann, I thought the Dr Seuss thing was not censorship but the actual owners deciding to stop printing a few? Good job on being so productive.

Bill, convenience foods are treat. So funny that Costco had a fake sample station. Weird.

BillBlueEyes 03-07-2021 06:10 AM

Sunday - Captain James Cook 1st sights Oregon coast at Yaquina Bay (1778)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Read, sitting in my comfortable recliner, the first chapter of Absalom Absalom! for my class. Just amazing how much more I understand of Faulkner's writing when reading his book for the second time. Feel like I'm cheating when it's clear who he's referring to rather than trying to guess as one does in first reading. Much fun.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was French lentils. French lentils (aka Lentilles du Puy) differ from Red Lentils and from Green Lentils by keeping their shape after cooking. Great for salads; not so great for dahl or soup. DW was clearing out the pantry; these were left over from an attempt to mimic a lentil salad dish a friend had brought to a potluck. That dish turned out to be more work than DW wanted. So, they sat in our pantry destined to be tossed by our annoyed kids when we passed away. Instead of burdening the kids, she "made them go away" by serving them in a delightful recipe with lots of celery, carrots, and onions. They were, however, individually chewy until the bitter end. Don't think we'll be doing French Lentils again. Glad they're gone.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - That's some convoluted story of finding a COVID vaccination; Congrats for sticking to the search until you found one. Neat to get the one-dose variety.

maryann - Love the phrase, "gloriously putter." Congrats for setting up the small checking account for your Venmo account. I need to do that and keep putting it off. I recommend that you do your normal careful checking of your sources before telling the kids about Dr. Seuss. I'm in the camp of those who feel that a business in a capitalist economy has the right to choose what books to print and don't call that 'censorship'.

Karen (karenrn) - Glad to feel that your friend is healing and that she needs your nursing skills. LOL that your hike for the day was to the mailbox.

curlyjax - Kudos for satisfying your beef craving with an appropriately sized serving. Instead of making a whole meatloaf and then overeating your way through it as I might have been tempted to do.

Penny. - Thanks for the reminder that oven baked French fries can still be a problem. Ouch for feeling morning caffeine at 11pm.

Readers -
Quote:

It is a biological impossibility for your weight
to go down every day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 57.

curlyjax 03-07-2021 09:26 AM

I did meet my widow friend for coffee and we had a nice time complaining and laughing.It was cold out but bearable sitting in our cars in the sun although I had to shift positions a few times and ended up with my head poked out the window like a dog, lol. I am SO grateful she's in my life with similar experiences.Later I went to browse in a bookstore for a bit- I do miss the ability to sit in a chair and read for awhile but at least we can go in- and ended up using a gift card to buy a book on investing for millennials. I'm obviously not one, but it seemed very basic, and when i'm done maybe the kids would use it at some point. One can only hope:)
Today I'm going to zip up to see DS; there's a bunch of forms he needs to sign and its the easiest way to do it. Hopefully we'll take a quick walk around the campus too.
I ended up eating one of the muffins I bought for DD and blew thru all my points but the week ends today and I start over with new weekly points tomorrow. I bought a bunch of healthy foods that can be combined in different ways and will use some of my frozen stuff this week too.
Gardenerjoy- great job getting a vaccine scheduled. I'm sure they are glad not to waste any.
Bill-I've had those lentils in salads, didn't realize they were the French ones. I'm a fan of the red ones that cook quickly.
Penny- wow, that's lasting caffeine! Good for you for doing a workout so late.
Karen-sorry your friend isn't feeling well. Those meds can do a number on you. I remember a bunch of meds after my hip operation, and one was for nausea that could occur from the other meds.
Maryann-yay for a productive day. I may need to check out some better shoes too, the bottom of my heels are killing me these days, and the side of my foot as well.

karenrn 03-07-2021 09:39 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was a bit off plan yesterday. I had some of the cookies that I bought for Suz. They are 6 for 130 calories because they are thin little crisp things, but I had a dozen. It was a very frustrating day. I think part of the problem is too many pain meds. I didn't realize she was taking so much for chronic pain and then she increased them. That will put the braked on any GI tract. My good attitude is waning. I miss my husband, pup and my own home. Her place is very cluttered which is something that drives me nuts. Good news is that when we were up at 3:30 a.m. she had not been vomiting and I think things are turning around. I went back to sleep for a bit and I was glad for that. I will make a food plan today and do my best to stick to it.

I'm being one of those who only talks about themselves today. I hope for personals tomorrow. Maryann I had completely forgotten about the PB2 in Greek yogurt. It was like a dessert to me so maybe I had to stop.

gardenerjoy 03-07-2021 10:28 AM

We got our first Home Chef delivery yesterday. I ordered three meals for the first week. We made the fish dish last night, knowing that freshness is a priority for fish to taste good. That also happened to be the most difficult of the meals we ordered, classified as "Expert."

We made Mahi-Mahi and Caper Aioli with crispy artichokes and fingerling potatoes.

It was everything I hoped for.

We didn't find it too challenging, but did use some methods that we don't normally because we haven't had that much success with them. With the detailed instructions, we managed nicely. So, we learned something that we can now apply to other dishes.

It did taste like a good restaurant meal, a relief after a year of home-cooking interspersed with a little take-out.

I was pleased with myself for paying attention to portions. I didn't even cook half of the potatoes. We'll roast them the same way to have with another dish. I also ate only about half of my portion of fish. We'll remake the rest of the fish and the leftover aioli into fish salad for sandwiches. That's actually an advantage over restaurant meals which don't provide as many options for leftovers (I'll take half of my french fries cooked and half raw so that I can roast them at home).

Exercise +35, 260/1400 minutes for March