3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution March 2021 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/322562-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-march-2021-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

curlyjax 03-14-2021 10:34 AM

I managed to sleep in today which was great, I really needed it. I had a nice visit with my friend although we didn't end up walking since it was windy and cold. I blew thru the rest of my points for the week but I get to start over Monday. I need to make my food plan for the week and get some groceries in, do bills and do some mental prep. A job opportunity suddenly came up in my agency which I have a good shot at so I need to dig out my notes on interview questions. It wouldn't necessarily be more money, but much closer to my house and would keep me super busy which I would love. I'll give more details if I get it!
Gardenerjoy- yes, friday afternoon is indeed a busy grocery time. Saturday morning is too, but I like to go then to get my food set for the weekend.
Karen-Glad your friend is feeling better- I can't believe she's driving already!
Penny- good luck with the fasting, I do hear good benefits from it. I hope someone else is dealing with dinner for your family, that would help.
Bill-I never heard that about the living room clock, that is interesting! I had a reaction to the second vaccine but not the first. I'm sure its doing its job!

maryann 03-14-2021 12:16 PM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday's 90th bday was a success. I am very happy with it. My family of origin is ripe with landmines. It seemed that most of us were mature enough to step over touchy subjects in honor of my father. That made all the difference. My father rarely avoids anything so it was about being non reactive. Three cheers for maturity. I need to credit myself for asking for what I need from my Dad which has never been the case. His usual pattern is to dwell on my older two brothers ( who never come to events by the way) bringing up their "misfortunes" at every moments. Both have severe mental health issues ( bipolar, rage, etc. . .) I privately asked Dad to not to bring them up just for the day because it made me so sad that I felt powerless to help and it would stop me from fully enjoying the day. (This was just a partial truth of a deeper problem but I felt it was the diplomatic approach. For the first time EVER, Dad didn't bring them up. I felt "heard" by Dad which is huge progress in our relationship. I am grateful that I have hung in on some of these relationship to actually get some closure - even this late in the process. I realize 90 is a tough time to start growing but Dad is trying.

Super credit for me as a result of asking for what I need I did not go off plan. I told myself to stay away from wheat and ,of course, desserts. I did it. We will go see another brother's new house and then I'll beat a diplomatic retreat back home with Mom.

curleyjax: Credit for the losing streak. It feels so good.
penny: The fasting just doesn't work for me. I wish it did. it just takes one day of OP to feel better again.
gardernerjoy: I am think about you and DH as you continue to walk this path.
BBE: I have spent the "new release" money on Prime for Mulan. Loved it. I watch it ten times in tenvdays to get my money's worth.
Karen: Is the replacement Suz the same as Hiking Suzanne?

Penny. 03-14-2021 12:57 PM

Good morning!

I had a taste of success with two fasting days, and surprisingly no heartburn. Food shopping, prep, and exercise were done too. The fridge is so ridiculously packed with prepped foods right now. Ha!

Bill, I guess there is an even better reason to have a clock in the living room than I thought. I wouldn't want my guests to stay too long. Haha! It's a small one on the mantel, so hopefully not too threatening.

Curly, the new job opportunity sounds exciting!

Maryann, I'm glad the family party went well. Major credit for not eating over it!

karenrn 03-14-2021 01:53 PM

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was perfectly on plan and I have a plan for today. I hiked a good one this morning, not so long, but plenty of incline and I'm home and cleaned up. I will have to say I am very glad we don't have daylight savings time to deal with. I do have to remember that my WA friends are now the same time as me now, which is easier. Dh is golfing today and it's a beautiful day after two cloudy, rainy and cold ones.

Penny I'm glad you had success with the fasting days. Hopefully that was just what you needed.
Maryann Good job navigating the family celebration and asking for what you needed and getting it! I have so many friends with the same name. The two Suzanne's are different people. I haven't seen too much of Hiking Suzanne because she is so busy at her country club and also her daughter and family moved to town from Seattle. We do keep in touch though. I met her here 8 years ago or so. I have known Tucson Suzanne about 25 years when we were nurses in Washington. She and her husband moved down here a bit before we did. She is widowed 2 years now, moved south from Phoenix about six years ago and has issues with arthritis, depression and not so good decision making at times. We don't have so much in common but with her depression she doesn't keep up with friends so she doesn't keep many.
Curlyjax It is really nice with WW that the new week starts you off fresh again. Good luck on the new job if you decide you want it.
Bill I do remember changing all the clocks. Dh used to do most of it. It sure is easy not having to worry about it. Good job strategizing to make the change easier.
Waving to GardenerJoy.

Holy moly I was hearing on the news about the weight gain during covid and they said something about 42 pounds. Wouldn't that be tough? Thank you all for helping me be mindful and even when I did gain I stopped it.

gardenerjoy 03-14-2021 04:29 PM

I woke before the alarm this morning. That means I was successful at creeping up to the time change instead of spring forward with it in one night. That works much better for me!
Exercise +65, 675/1400 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: My friends who are public health professionals assure all of us that the vaccine is effective whether we have a reaction or not. Of course, I suppose they would make that assurance, even if they weren't 100% sure it was true.

maryann: Congrats on the success of the party and the interaction with your dad. That's great!

BillBlueEyes 03-15-2021 06:19 AM

Monday - RIP Julius Caesar "Beware the Ides of March" (44 BC, Rome by Marcus Brutus)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A marvelous accomplishment. DW had twice asked me to fix the igniter of the small Weber propane grill that sits on the deck just outside the kitchen door. She uses it often. Has been lighting it with matches - not a crisis. Off I go to do my google research to figure out which model we own and then which igniter it takes and then where to order it. There are many, many igniters. Many, many Weber igniters. Many, many models that all look just like mine. After much rooting around I discovered that ours has an electronic igniter that uses a AAA battery that is reached by simply twisting the igniter button. I was so excited that I put on my coat and . . . voila! removed the battery to bring inside where it was light and warm. Can't believe how simple it looks to be. We'll spend a few minutes sanding down the contacts before reinserting the button with a new AAA battery. Low temperatures are predicted in the Fahrenheit teens for the next few days. Not a problem; we'll wait. CREDIT moi for doing what was required even though the actual work turns out to be trivial.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. I missed our Sunday walk because I had to attend a Zoom meeting where it'd be noticed that I wasn't there since I had a two-minute speaking part. Since it represented volunteer work, we were appropriately appreciated. Some organizations are quite good at acknowledging that folks are working for free. Possibly the evolutionary way that some organizations survive when others don't.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the tip last week to prepare for the change in time; I think the steps we took helped. LOL at "I suppose they would make that assurance, even if they weren't 100% sure it was true." Are you experiencing realism in your retirement years?

maryann - Congrats to you and all your family for choosing to step over touchy subjects in honor of your father's 90th birthday. "Three cheers for maturity." Indeed!

Karen (karenrn) - I, too, read that the average weight gain for the COVID lock down year is 29 pounds - with many folks doing 50. Suspect that gyms will have a surge in new memberships similar to New Years.

curlyjax - Exciting that you spotted a job opportunity. Kudos for being alert to your needs/desires.

Penny. - Kudos for success for two fasting days. Love the image of a fridge packed with prepared foods.

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

Getting on the Scale

They don't view their weight as an indication that they are weak, inadequate, or out of control. They don't see weight losses as reasons to loosen up or celebrate with food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 58.

curlyjax 03-15-2021 08:38 AM

I got the groceries done and did some meal prep for the week. tonight I will use my Foreman grill to grill some chicken i've been marinating, and will throw on zuchini and maybe some peppers too. Since the kids aren't home I've been blasting podcasts from my laptop while I cook or clean up, which definitely makes the job more enjoyable.
I had a nice weekend with DD and kept my patience at the end when she was being a real pain. Later she called me and acknowledged this which was awesome.
I haven't been getting any exercise in recently, its so windy and cold out I have no desire to go outside. I will do my weights tonight and fit something aerobic in too.
Maryann-great job communicating with you job, and avoiding sweets etc at the party.
Karen- too funny about all your Suzannes! It must be perfect temps out in Arizona now.
Gardenerjoy-good feeling to be in synch with the time change.
Penny- great job on the fast.Feels good to have that prepped food in there, so much easier.
Bill- I hear you about putting things off; glad it was an easy fix and you are ready to go when the nice temps return.

karenrn 03-15-2021 08:57 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. I haven't really planned for the day today, but I'll get going on that soon. I think I might go hike Bell Pass with a little weight in the backpack, but not too much. I have 2 1/2 hours left in an audiobook, which will almost fill the time for my hike. I watched a bit of the Grammy's last evening. At first I thought it was fun to see who some of the new artists are and then I thought "holy moly I am old". Oh well, I like plenty of music, just not all.

Curlyjax Good job on being patient with dd. I'm sure it was great to have her acknowledge her behavior.
Bill That's great that the BBQ ignitor is not such a big job. I'm sure dw will be happy about it working.
GardenerJoy Your strategies for adjusting to daylight savings time must have been just the ticket.

Waving to Maryann and Penny.

maryann 03-15-2021 09:43 AM

Phone check-in. On my bags are still packed from Pismo.

The evening became snacky as I reached home and was overly tired and emotional. The scale is two pounds up from ticker. I have a packed lunch and snack. I have to go grocery shopping this afternoon. First on the to do this morning,though, is I left all my coffee at my fathers so Ill be stopping at Starbucks.

I recommitted to steps for the week since I am through with my steroids.

wave to all.

gardenerjoy 03-15-2021 11:21 AM

Today's big adventure is one or more phone calls to schedule DH"s surgery and related appointments. Here's my reminder that food won't help get that done. Or help with any emotional aftermath. What will help: journaling, walking, and good distracting projects like researching what people wore in the 1940s so that I can dress my characters.

Exercise +40, 715/1400 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: You'll love to learn that the Missouri Botanical Garden thrives on the work of volunteers. And, appreciates them. When I traveled to France, with other Garden members, I learned something about volunteerism. We were talking about how great volunteers can be for a garden when the director told us that in France they don't have such a culture of volunteerism -- they believe that if a job needs to be done, then someone should be paid to do that job. Which is a perspective I can admire, while still finding very foreign.

Penny. 03-15-2021 02:23 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. That's three days and I'm feeling in control for now. Whew!

BillBlueEyes 03-16-2021 06:09 AM

Tuesday - Robert H. Goddard launches 1st liquid-fueled rocket (1926, Auburn, Mass)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The winds were mighty. After being emptied by the trash guys, our empty plastic trash barrel was blown from the curb to the back of our driveway. The lid - gone. I searched everywhere. No green trash barrel lid in sight. Asked DW to look about, which she did before walking away to run an errand. No joy. When she returned, she spotted it under the orange SUV across the street. Much happiness. The barrel itself is a tad frazzled - with a hole in the bottom that suits us just fine because it drains out any water that manages to get in. But a new one is a pain to go buy and squeeze into the car to bring home. Most stuff that leaves our house goes into the recycle bin or into our own compost bin. Trash fits into one small plastic bag each week that gets put into the trash can because our town doesn't allow naked plastic bags to be left on the curb. Perhaps it's because of the stifling past year that we celebrate such a small victory.

We're both crossed our two-weeks-after-second-jab point so we're as vaccinated as we'll get. Felt a bit smug as I waited in line at the CVS pharmacy for a prescription. They had a table at the front of the store offering the vaccine. That was new. I didn't stop to find out if appointments were for real-soon-now or weeks into the future. Was good to see that Massachusetts has reached that stage.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. DW scheduled take away fried fish for one night this week. Now I have to decide where to order. Google says that if I lived in Louisiana, I'd have my choice of Knights of Columbus parish fish fries to choose from. Unfortunately, the local Knights don't fry fish. We do have restaurants - all of which are hurting for a little business so I can just choose one nearby that has enough volume of business to suggest that its fish will be fresh. An adventure.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for moving forward responsibly with your DH. Neat that the Missouri Botanical Garden thrives on the work of volunteers. I was delighted to stumble on it on the map when we were looking for Ferguson for the zoning session of my class. Such a big place. Strange about the difference with France - didn't know that.

maryann - Welcome home. Was nice of you to donate coffee to your father - hope he'll use it.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at "holy moly I am old". Felt that way when I looked at pictures of the kids on Spring Break in Florida. The next generation hasn't been blessed with any more wisdom than was mine.

curlyjax - Neat that you're using your Foreman Grill. I'd read that it holds the record for the most purchased item that fell into disuse.

Penny. - Yay for Penny in control!

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

Getting on the Scale

And they don't use weight gains or smaller-than-expected weight losses as reason to fall off their diets altogether because they are confident that they know what to do to get the number on the scale moving back down again.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 58.

curlyjax 03-16-2021 08:24 AM

I was OP yesterday and didn't go over my points.One person suggested keeping on eye on the calories as well which isn't a bad idea; one could be eating too little or too much. I did my weights, i do need to get my cardio going again. I seem to be feeling a bit sad/lonely in the evenings, so I let myself watch tv instead of berating myself for not getting anything done. I watched a 2013 movie called Enough Said on netflix which I did enjoy; a romcom with middleaged actors, yay. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini- I didn't watch the sopranos but apparently this is quite a role shift for him.
Karen- I have no idea of the new music folks. If its past the 80s I'm a bit clueless honestly.
Gardenerjoy- really interesting about the French not having volunteers.
Maryann-It's easy to be snacky when you're tired and emotional, I definitely fall into the habit of overeating then.
Penny- yay for 3 days OP, you are back on track!
Bill-the wind is something all right. Yay for the recovered trash can cover. I'm really running out of topics to talk about too.

karenrn 03-16-2021 09:10 AM

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan and weight is slowly heading down. This morning I'm hiking with a couple of friends and then I think we're going for an early lunch. I'm not sure where we'll go, but I'll keep it sane. Lot's of confusion with my niece's and sister in laws visit. They finally decided to change airlines but will still be coming, just a little time change. I did hike with about 18 pounds in my backpack yesterday. I hiked about five miles and finished the book I was listening to which was very enjoyable.

I'd better get going, so personals later or tomorrow.

maryann 03-16-2021 10:02 AM

Credit for beginning to walk again. Treadmill with an incline. My foot is sore but not as bad as before. Food was again snacky in the evening. Tonight I will finish by 4:00 and not eat dinner with DH. I sit with him and drink tea instead.

It is mid term week. Crazy that we are down to the last quarter of the year. The word is out Ill see the kids in person next Tuesday. My room is set up.

Running late.
Wave to all