3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/322562-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-march-2021-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

curlyjax 03-24-2021 08:25 AM

It was nice to go into the agency and see other folks, although it is tough to wear a mask so much. I really feel for grocery store workers, etc. I felt a little overwhelmed with some of the training but I know it will make more sense as I go along.
Today I am seeing a few clients in person. It occurs to me that I have about a month left to work at home, so I need to move along with any house projects etc that are easier to get done when i'm home and don't have to take time off for, like maybe getting the windows cleaned properly. I do better when I have a little bit of a deadline so its time to get cracking.
I did get a 20 minute walk in yesterday. I kind of lost track of my eating but hopefully i'm not too off track.
Karen- yay for weight down a bit, and continuing trend downwards.
Maryann-yes, the footwork is a slog. I feel better that I am finally working on it even if in fits and spurts.
Gardenerjoy-thanks for the photo, so beautiful!
Penny-oh my gosh, I remember those things! and the potholder kits, I loved doing those!
Bill-yay for bookstores and good boring. It's such a lovely week weather wise here.

karenrn 03-24-2021 08:57 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. I decided on my way to Tucson that I wasn't going to stay overnight. I called my friend to let her know I would be there until later afternoon but would then head home. It was a good bit of driving, but I was so glad to come home. I did laundry and housework for her, but not as much as I would have ended up doing if I had stayed overnight. Also I didn't end up doing grocery shopping. She needs to learn how to order groceries on line and she needs a housekeeper. I encouraged both. Today I'll get the laundry done here, get the beds all changed, grocery shop and walk Otis. I have a long hike tomorrow.

Curlyjax I remember the feeling with being a bit overwhelmed with the training with most new jobs. I'm sure a deadline to get some things done around the house will be helpful. I know I do better with a deadline.

Bill I love browsing around a bookstore too. I bet it's fun looking for books for dgd.

Penny The latch hook rug sounds fun and you can't really eat while you're doing that, which is always a bonus.

GardenerJoy I love the photo of the daffodil. I'm going to buy some for myself today. They are such a cheerful flower.

Maryann I hope the first day back with the students in class was great. I look forward to hearing about it.

I need to look through some recipes and find something to cook for dinner. I feel like I've been taking the easy way out and I know we need to focus on more veggies. That will be a priority in my recipe search.

You all have a great day. As much as I enjoyed the company, especially after so long without, I am going to enjoy my day home alone.

maryann 03-24-2021 09:38 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

It was great to see the kids on campus yesterday. I had about 8 per class. Credit for being able to give myself some grace and fumble around with the tech - like forgetting to log into the Googlemeet of one classroom. It was so natural to talk to the kids right in front of me I just started. The lesson for the day wasn't brilliant. There were so many things I wish I could have done but at least I am in the game. There is an A group and a B group with Wednesday to clean in between. So today I will focus on a planning more interactive lessons. The best part were four of the kids that failed last quarter were in the room. I know I have a good chance of helping them pass for this quarter.

Food was fine. DH and I went to the gym, did the bicycle, and hit the jacuzzi. That is the first time he has been back since October. It felt good to be exercising together. I wll lhave to really focus on adding steps everyday to meet my 5,000 steps a month average in my phone.

Karen: Credit for taking care of yourself and heading back home. There is nothing like sleeping in your own bed.
BBE: I think the idea of supporting local is so important. I can't do it with restaurants because I can't keep my weight in check but the exercise club and local book stores, yes.
gardenerjoy: nice pics.
Penny: Nothing like a little thrifting.
curleyjax: If nothing else, getting back to the workplace gets me away from easy snacking.

gardenerjoy 03-24-2021 10:36 AM

Yesterday included some frustrations like trying to find a new dentist to take DH's new insurance. I accomplished that, but we really hoped for an appointment before his surgery. Instead, I snagged one for July 1st.

I remember when an argument against the Canadian system of health care was that you had to wait a long time to get an appointment. That argument no longer floats for me since that seems to be the routine in our region these days.

I ran into a similar issue when attempting to schedule PT that DH requires before surgery. The first place I called was taking appointments for June which is not before his April 21 surgery date. Fortunately, they helped me get in at a second place -- and apparently we'll be seeing the therapist at the moment she was supposed to be grabbing lunch.

Today's big adventure is shopping for groceries. I hope it's boring. Although, I'm also reminding myself to enjoy the colors and textures and smells.

Exercise +35, 1165/1400 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: Boston showed up in my news feeds yesterday because a black woman as acting mayor is something to celebrate!

Penny. 03-24-2021 11:39 AM

Good morning,

Yesterday was good enough, food and exercise.

I hadn't taken my minivan in for an oil change for over a year so, after new tires, I went for the oil change. Surprise, surprise, they told me I still had another 1500-5000 miles to go before an oil change was due. I was not expecting that! It was stressing me out for nothing.

Maryann, I'm glad the classroom teaching went well.

BillBlueEyes 03-25-2021 05:44 AM

Thursday - Pecan Day - commemorating George Washington's tree (1775, Mount Vernon)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She was excited to see two new "chapter books" waiting for me to read to her. Did the "eeny meeny miny moe" thing to choose which one. (Always a bit amazed at what parts of the culture are passed along.) She's a snuggler during reading; I'm so glad that full vaccinated means that that is OK. Took her to the playground with a gigantic nylon rope climbing structure - a magnificent thing. It's in a park that is used by the school next door. Not a single other person there! Sobering to remember that all these kids are home on Zoom and not climbing during their brief recess period. At one point in our kitchen, I was a frozen stature; DW and the DGD put money in the bucket at my feet to get me to select a new frozen position. This continued until I was tired of the game. When she likes a game, it can go on forever.

Big news: Krispy Kreme is giving a free glazed donut to anyone who comes by showing a COVID-19 vaccination card. You can get one each day for the rest of the year. I was immediately drawn to the FREE. Me, who has just such a card. Unfortunately (fortunately?), the nearest Krispy Kreme is over an hour's drive from here. There are donut shops everywhere, especially Dunkin', but not KK. The Internet backlash is ferocious. Sane folks have pointed out that 300 190-calorie donuts would cause a fifteen pound weight gain. Sobering reminder that a few hundred calories a day can trigger substantial weight change - gain or loss. Thank you KK for that reminder since I'm still tempted by that many calories worth of nuts in passing without consideration of gain.

Dinner was the second trip with the Costco Pot Roast. It was still tasty. Served late after being slammed behind a late afternoon Zoom presentation that she had to attend so she apologized that the only green veggie was leftover kale. Kale also survives reheating. Meal was fine. Made eating on plan for the day with no daytime snacks (including FREE Krispy Kreme donuts), CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for the pain of scheduling medical appointments when time matters - exacerbated by COVID. Yes, Boston has 55-year-old Kim Janey for mayor - first Black and first Female all at once. The detail is that she was "pelted with rocks" when she was 11 years old getting bused into Boston.

maryann - Yay for kids seeing you face-to-face to get motivated. Someday you'll be teaching the history of the COVID year to kids for whom it's just dumb old history.

Karen (karenrn) - You're a true friend for driving all the way to Tuscon to support your friend. It's hard to get someone to hire help that they need but don't want to admit that they need.

curlyjax - Neat to have a deadline to help get to projects like window cleaning.

Penny. - Congrats for discovering that you're already taking good care of your mini-van. Don't often get good news of that sort. "Good enough" is a winning day.

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite

Study after study bears out the importance of these habits: . . .
  • A University of Toronto study found that students consumed more pasta if they nibbled while standing rather than while sitting at a table.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 61.

curlyjax 03-25-2021 08:03 AM

Very satisfying work day yesterday. But I was near a great muffin shop and stopped in for a peanut butter/chocolate frosted brownie which was wayyyy over my points, probably for the week. I was exhausted later in the day, and wondered if in part I was coming down from a sugar high. That is out of my system and back on track today.
My doc's office called and wants me to come for a med review. I had called to get my anti depressant renewed which I guess triggered this. It's the only thing I take, and they also scheduled me for a physical in the summer, so I don't know why the two can't be combined. There's probably some new rule that the docs have to do this every so often. It just seems odd and a waste of time shlepping into the office, because I certainly still need it.
Karen- good for you for setting boundaries. I remember when I had my babies, the advice was you need food and clean laundry, but the rest can wait. The cleaning continues to wait:) Delivery of groceries is such a wonderful thing, I used it once or twice after my hip surgery.
Maryann- great that you're back in the classroom!
Gardenerjoy-it does take forever for non emergency visits. Interesting that DH is having PT prior to surgery.
Penny- I tend to rely on my mechanics to tell me when things are due too. My car hasn't been driven as much this year so it should take longer between visits hopefully.
Bill-what fun to snuggle with DGD. I never understood the excitement about Krispy Kreme, but then I am not a huge donut person.

maryann 03-25-2021 09:56 AM

Weight was mysteriously at ticker this morning. This is the first time since November. Wow! I would have thought I change my ticker to reflect my actual weight more often. I guess I feel like I am always "just about there." I think about how I have dropped down to the number. I added more veggies yesterday - a lunch of nothing but Brussels sprouts, three more fruits during the day, the extra exercise. These are all small steps. I will continue them. I am also very busy at work. That counts as well. This weekend I will go back up to Truckee to collect my skies and finish the season. That is always helpful to get my step count up.

Last night I was a little down. People were not doing what I wanted them to do. I have a few VERY lost kids whose parents keep saying "I had no idea!" It is true that people are often doing the best they can but I worry. A few of my best friends are in my consideration not living in any sort of reality - one in terms of her financial situation and the other in terms of sobriety. Also DH is not pressing to get results of test swe need to make decisions. This morning I remember if three people are irritating me, it is probably me with the problem. So I will work on that with my meditation and prayer. Everyone has their own path. The two things I do know are: 1. There is a high power. 2 I am not it.

So I will get into action and actually help someone. I am chairing an AA meeting tonight. I will try to make my class worthwhile. I think I have figure out how to play Pictionary with kids in person and kids online concurrently. I know it doesn't sound academically rigorous but I hope it is engaging and teambuilding. Then we look at India's comparative advantage in the work place.

All of this makes me very hungry but food is never the solution.

Wave to all.

gardenerjoy 03-25-2021 10:39 AM

Grocery-shopping was suitably boring.

My eating got sloppy yesterday, though. Mostly an attempt to self-medicate spring allergies. Food helps -- but only in the same way that any other distraction helps. I have a lot more healthy ways to distract myself. So, I have a written food plan to follow and a resolve to engage with fun and interesting things in my life that don't have calories.

Exercise +20, 1185/1400 minutes for March

karenrn 03-25-2021 08:41 PM

Good evening coaches,

I had some off plan snacks yesterday afternoon for no good reason. I really cut down on dinner, since I wasn't really hungry. Today I met my backpacking buddy for a 10 mile hike. We had planned a longer one, but it was expected to get windy with possible blowing dust by 11, so we wanted to be finished by then. She has plans for several overnights to Sedona and the Grand Canyon and asked if I'd like to go, so I have lots of hikes on the calendar for the next couple of months. Food was on plan today and under calories, so good for that.

I'll do personals tomorrow.

BillBlueEyes 03-26-2021 05:34 AM

Friday - Dr. Jonas Salk announces vaccine to prevent polio (1953)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Left the house without any jacket whatsoever. OK, it's not Spring, but I'll take the little nibbles of it. Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi.

Leisure time after dinner was interrupted by a phone call; DW had forgotten that she was expected in a Zoom meeting. Had to race about. We're more busy with Zoom than we were in real life. I recall noting that we had to choose only one event for an evening regardless of how important all three of them were. Now, we can squeeze in two events and more frequently choose separate ones.

I received a nice email reply from a friend recovering from a stroke - signed by his wife who typed it. A reminder not to take our health for granted.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It's fun to welcome Spring - but not with allergies. I just bought another stack of boxes of tissues for our dueling sniffling.

maryann - Yay for "mysteriously at ticker" - however it got there. Thanks for, "1. There is a high power. 2 I am not it." I need to be reminded of that at times.

Karen (karenrn) - Cutting down on dinner is a good recovery - Kudos. Love the thought of a Grand Canyon hike.

curlyjax - Ouch for the existence of great muffin shops. Hard to believe that any muffin has ever been incorporated into an eating plan.

Readers -
Quote:

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite

Study after study bears out the importance of these habits: . . .
  • Research on thousands of Japanese office workers showed that fast eaters ate more calories than slow eaters, tended to gain more weight, and were more likely to have insulin resistance (a precursor to diabetes).
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 61.

curlyjax 03-26-2021 08:17 AM

I have lost all my motivation for WW, I need to get back on track now. I ate so much yesterday. I'm also getting lost in laziness. I had a good night sleep so no excuse, up and at em! I have no plans yet for the weekend other than bringing one of the cars in for an oil change. And I may try working on coloring my hair at home. You're supposed to test a strand of hair then wait, so its a process. Maybe I'll find a new place to walk, just to have something different to look at.
More tomorrow!

maryann 03-26-2021 08:58 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday’s classes were comical in their presentation. Nothing worked, boring as sin. I was so distracted by all the ducks I have to keep in order I couldn’t even remember the answers to my own questions. Felt like crying.

SO now I am up an hour earlier to try and make a better plan. I have a student meeting before school so I needed to adjust. Good grief. Even attendance is complicated. Multiple boxes whether the student is on campus, distant, suppose to be on campus, just emailed in, etc. . . All had to be adjusted.

This actually may do me in.

I second that a trip to the Grand Canyon would be fabulous. I also second that motivation for eating right is elusive.

wave.

Penny. 03-26-2021 10:27 AM

Good morning!

My eating is not good and another work weekend is upon me -I signed up for two in a row this month. Fasting days are here again and I'll do it. At least I am doing that.

I am feeling the need to break from the social media and forums again for a while. Hopefully I can get my act together without the distractions.

karenrn 03-26-2021 01:13 PM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is a tiny bit lower and we're talking tenths of pounds. I woke up super early today and actually fell back asleep for an hour or so after dh left for work. I had to get moving to really wake up, so I just walked Otis. I don't really have much in the way of a plan for the day, although I have a couple of errands.

Maryann In person and online school at the same time sounds pretty confusing and what a lot of extra work. I hope it gets better for you soon. Just in case you have any suggestions . . My friend and I will do a section hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail in later July. She is doing a section on the east side in June, so we are thinking the west side. She will be coming from Quincy CA and we will leave a car at each end. We were thinking Tahoe City to Mt. Rose area, but I know water will be a problem there. Part of the reason for that section is just logistics. Do you have any ideas? I do have the book and I also may call the Tahoe Rim Trail Association for suggestions and of course the FB site.
Curlyjax It doesn't seem to matter what program we choose it seems there is always a honeymoon period and then it passes. I seem to be using the basics from many different things right now and just working on habits to keep me in line most of the time. I still feel at least for me the main thing is to never give up.
Bill It is the truth that we should never take our good health for granted. I just heard from a long term friend who told me her husband had a stroke earlier this month and then worse yet was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (which was likely the cause of the clots). They recently moved from Seattle area to Cour d'Alene where they know few people. Again, this getting old is not for sissies.
GardenerJoy I hope you're finding a non caloric and fun distraction for yourself.
Waving to Penny . . . don't work too hard this weekend.