Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 05:17 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Inoculation of children with Salk polio vaccine begins (1954,Pittsburgh)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a fresh pot of chili made with hamburger, Bob's Red Mill 13 Bean Soup dried bean mix, and sauteed green pepper. DW made a big batch; we'll be back. We've tried all the bean-mixes available at our stores and always keep coming back to this one. Feels odd to have a favorite dried bean mix, LOL. Had to finish dinner and get up to my office for a 7:00 p.m. Zoom meeting that went well - well except that one potential attendee emailed from the hospital that he couldn't attend since his doctor declared that he'd had a mini-stoke. Shudder! I've always believed the word 'stroke' meant serious stuff. He was able to write his own email even though he asked for no visitors or correspondence. Keeping my fingers crossed for his health.

Journey out into the world encountered steady rain in the afternoon. So glad that it wasn't snow. All folks near me were masked and socially distanced. Read more of Sapiens for my class this afternoon. It is fun to view all of humanity and all of history from a high perspective. It's in the details where humans get messy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Those masks that you linked to look neat. That may be the path I need to up my game. Fauci suggests that we may have another year of wearing masks - maybe even more to protect ourselves against the adamant non-believers.

maryann - Can you just sign up for only those missing 7 days and 16 hours to meet your commitment, LOL? I'm with you on the argument that agriculture is needed for civilization. I'm not that fond of running about wrapped in a poorly fitted deer fur trying to bop a rabbit for dinner.

Karen (karenrn) - Nomadland was recommended to me last night, also. Gotta add it to my list. I have the Brother black-and-white laser printer, HL-L2395DW. It's inexpensive, can scan pages, and serves us well. And DW can print on it from her office. We're pleased with it.

curlyjax - Your dinner that included acorn squash reminds me how much I love the root veggies of the winter season.

Penny. - Kudos for "New day, and back at it."

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily

How to Get Yourself to Read the Advantages Deck

Even though it takes so little time, some dieters resist reading their Response Cards and Advantages Deck. For example, John had sabotaging thoughts. It's not worth the trouble to read them . . . I'm motivated to diet now . . . I'll start reading them later if my motivation goes down.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 55.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #122  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I had an off plan snack yesterday, so my goal today is no off plan snacks. I didn't need it, I just woke up from a nap and I think it was one of those "what do I do now?" things. I haven't made my food plan yet, still thinking about what we'll have for dinner. I'm hiking Pinnacle Peak this morning which is lots of good climbing. I'm hiking with one of my good friends from MN. We did the Tour du Mont Blanc together in 2013 with a couple other friends.

I did end up buying a printer yesterday. After going back and forth we ended up getting a HP inkjet at the local office supply store. The prices were the same as Amazon and a nice guy helped me at the store. Dh got it all hooked up and it prints great. I can take the old one to the office supply store and for a small fee they will get rid of it.

Bill I'll have to take a look at the soup mix. I bet it would be good with one of the pieces of ham that I have in the freezer.

I'm going to get going and get my food plan done. It's an early start today.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Good day yesterday- I did take a 20 minute walk outside and stayed OP for food. I will do the weights today, I ended up using the time to cook dinner instead. After talking with a friend of mine, I decided to join WW (again!) and I do feel more motivated. I don't like tracking food with the points system but I signed up for 6 months and will give it a good shot. Most of the stuff is on the WW app and there's a lot of motivating videos from coaches and real people comments, so that's all helpful. I like how the emphasis is on health and healthy eating, and not just losing weight.
Karen- that movie looks great and definitely a good choice for the big screen.
Maryann- I would kill to retire early 500 extra a month is a lot, that is worth putting the time in.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Phew! The scale read 169.8. What a psychological lift I am not in the 70s. Good. What did I do differently? I made my groat, lentil, barley mix for lunches creating a de-floured diet. I did no t eat dinner with DH. I had lots of fruit including two of the fab oranges I have in my classroom. I added 2 T of vinegar over the course of the day. Even though I had two off plan snacks things feel better. I know from experience I need to get out of the "perfect day" I planned mindset and focus on adding in as many healthy tweaks as I can. This always reduces my total food intake for the day. I have the same plan for today.

DS was indeed kicked out of the dorms. But he called me today and sounded very happy to have found a very nice sublet in a great part of town with a friend to help move him. He sounds relieved to get out of such a restrictive environment. Part of me is mourning that he will never have a freshman dorm experience like DH or I had. I must say Oh Well and move on. My hope is he will gather a tribe around him. It is very hard to let loved ones have their own path.I must remember that I spent most of my childhood and all of my teens clinically depressed and manic ( hindsight now as I work with the shrink.) Yet I have my dream life now with a rich set of friends, family and experiences I wouldn't trade. It certainly was a broken road. DS has to have his broken road as well. Still all parents would take their kids struggles in a heartbeat.

Today I don't have to eat over any of this. I will tease the students (yesterday I sang them "Let it Go" in honor of the frozen computers some of them had.) I will not solve global warming but I will do two nice things for people and not let them know it was me. I will bike and not hike to give my foot a rest that is getting stronger.

The meeting with the retirement counselor reaffirmed that I wlll need to work another full year at least. If I go another two years it will be 1100 more a month. That is an incredible jump. For today I am content to head out the door with a packed lunch.

Wave to all. I am one of Karen's goodwill calls and only talking about myself
Old 02-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #125  
Green Tomatoes

I did yoga for the first time in weeks, yesterday. I'm not sure why that didn't end up being my exercise of choice when it was too cold and snowy to walk, but it didn't. It felt so good in my body. I'm writing this out so that maybe I start to remember it when I feel like I don't have the energy for it. It's always worth it.

Today will definitely include a walk. We're getting a high of 60 degrees today. Compared to our recent deep freeze, everyone is acting like this is summer!

Exercise +50, 930/1400 minutes for February
Old 02-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #126  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with food and exercise. I got my strength training in and cycling. Today will just be cycling. I would like to get back to hiking, which got paused with the snow days.

I added some heavier weights to my equipment and my bedroom looks like a gym is trying to take over.

Maryann, I looked back on your posts to figure out what was going on with your dh. So sorry you guys are going through it. That was wild both you and Joy posted about your DHs similar news back to back. Oh, and I saw your description of the covid vaccine event as the end of the movie Cocoon and laughed. You are so funny!

Curly, good luck with WW. Whatever gets us going, right?

Karen, your good deed phone call label makes me laugh. I know just what you speak of and recently had to distance myself from a new friend. She seemed fun and entertaining at first but then became an absolute drain. She wanted the good deed phone call and texting seversl times/all day. Nope. Have a great hike!

Bill, that 13 bean soup was my staple but I'm on a minestrone kick right now. I hope everything turns out okay with your friend in the hospital. My mom also had a TIA and she came out of it symptom free.

Joy, I need to revisit yoga. I keep trying but it never sticks.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #127  

Good afternoon coaches,

I'm just checking in quickly to let you know I got past the snacking time without a snack and I'm feeling quite proud about it. I ended up getting out of the house to pick up the income taxes, net to us after CPA payment $50. Yahoo.
I'm going to do my plank and arm and shoulder exercises in a few minutes and feel good about the day.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Arizona was organized as a territory (1863)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the supermarket was dull. Yay for dull! Later, I made the trip to Trader Joe's for bags of coffee. Bundles of Daffodils from Ireland were stacked at the front door - 10 in a bundle for $1.79. "Have a touch of Irish Spring," the label read. I grabbed two bundles for DW. Then realized that three would be the right number. Then remembered that yellow was my DD's favorite color and we'd be driving to her house this morning to pick up the DGD. Naturally, I picked up three bundles for her. I'm a sucker for Daffodils when they first appear. Spring is coming!

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was scallops grilled on the patio. DW said that the fish-monger at Whole Foods had carefully picked out twelve the same size when she asked for a dozen to be grilled. I do love personalized service. The scallops were flavorful, firm, and fresh. Fine dining, that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - 60 degrees F - good grief! Your arctic blast temperatures have even been in our papers out here. Congrats for dipping back into yoga.

maryann - Ouch for the reality that you might work one or two more years. Yay that you have a job that you love that matters in the world.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for getting a new printer - hooked up already. And SUPER Congrats for getting rid of the old one at the same time.

curlyjax - Kudos for choosing WW again. Whatever works for you. If eating was merely logical, none of us would have problems.

Penny. - Just perfect when your room looks like a gym with a cot in the corner.

Readers -
Quote:

I asked John if he thought it was a good idea for people to wait to learn to drive on the highway until the first time they needed to travel or if it was worth practicing merging and changing lanes beforehand. He understood the point. It's important to prepare yourself in advance for difficult times.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I spoke with my supervisor yesterday; it sounds like I will be working from home for another month at least. I also gently hinted that I could take on a project since one of my workdays is pretty slow. I would rather be busy during the workday and feel a bit guilty for not having every hour filled up, but its really out of my control with the current situation. I felt good after talking with her and knowing what my next month will look like anyhow.
I've been taking it easy in the evenings watching too much tv, so I need to get back to doing something productive, like getting back to my taxes, now that I'm finally feeling better, and enjoy the gift of extra time without having to commute.
I did start up with my weights again, did about 10 minutes of stationary biking, and tracked my food, so i'm feeling good. Dinner tonight and tomorrow is turkey meatloaf from the freezer with baked veggies, yum. And its going to be a beautiful 44ish degrees out so I'm getting out for a walk today.
Maryann- DS sounds very resourceful, its great that he found a nice place to live. I feel like the freshmen don't know what they're missing at least, but it is a tough situation. I think my DS is happy to be out of the house and enjoying his independence that way.
KAren- great job not snacking! that's a tough one. Glad you're having a good day.
Gardenerjoy-wow, 60 degrees is something! I'm happy with the 40s for now .
Penny- lol about the gym taking over the bedroom. you're using your equipment, which is more than a lot of folks do.
Bill- I love daffodills, and cheap flowers are awesome. Scallops are so good, I could have easily had all 12 myself!
Old 02-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP and tracked. Today will be the same food but will include the last of the split pea soup and a green smoothie. I have to use up the spring mix which is wilted even though it says it has two more days to expire. GRRRRRRR! I tell myself everything to get small bags. So into the freezer it went. Frugal Feb says no veggie wasted. I weighed the amount of pecans in my breakfast and weighed myself twice. I walked for 40 mins on the treadmill while finishing up another couple of episodes of Star Trek Discovery.

Tomorrow is DH biopsy and ultrasound which will guide us on his treatment plan. I am nervous but grateful for access to good health care. Today i will write the lesson plans. I also have to go to the store because i drank the last of coffee. As a part of FF I gave up Nespresso pods and started Mount Hagen instant coffee sticks and I really like them. (Now don't turn your noses up at me, coffee snobs.) They are easy and I don't have to clean up a pot. They have a big following on the internet as a reasonably priced instant brand - much better tand cheaper than Starbuck's Via

curleyjax: I agree that busy is better than guilty. I also talk to my VP to get some schedule accommodations for next year. It is wonderful to be able to ask for what you need.
Penny: The best thing about a room gym is you get to close the door!
gardenerjoy and Karen: Thanks for the reminders that strength and stretching work at home is just as important as cardio.
BBE: The three bean soup will go on my list but I have bags of coop beans to get through first.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #131  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. Today I need to do strength training in addition to cycling. I'm heading out into the cold to do covid tests and borrowed an audiobook to listen to. The regular book wasn't kindle supported. Waah!

Have a great day!
Old 02-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's biggest excitement was snagging an appointment for DH's COVID vaccine for this afternoon. We don't even have to drive two hours into the country to get it -- just to the same hospital complex where his urologist works.

That was after the second-biggest excitement of the day -- finishing the tax preparation for the accountant. We thought we were just going to get started on it, but we ended up feeling determined and we completed the task and sent the whole e-packet. That's a good three weeks earlier than last year. We both wanted it well out of the way before he embarks on cancer treatment.

Credit for not eating from excitement. That's happened in the past, but I avoided that particular pitfall yesterday.

Exercise +30, 960/1400 minutes for February
Old 02-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #133  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food remained on plan and no drinks (as none were planned). I realize I just need to distract myself for a very short time and I completely forget about having a snack. Now if I can just remember to follow through on that. I drove over to pick up our taxes yesterday afternoon. Taxes were a wash which is what I always hope for. I've had a nice lazy morning with no hiking and it's been great. I did get Otis out for a walk and did my plank, arms and shoulder exercises. It will soon be lunch time and then the movie.

GardenerJoy I'm so glad your dh will be getting his vaccine. It also sounds like the Johnson and Johnson vaccine will be out soon. I did hear on the news that a woman who was not anxious to get the vaccine decided to when it was made convenient for her. I hope more of that goes on as it becomes available in nearby pharmacies, etc.

Penny May you have a streak of on plan days. Heck, may we all!

Maryann Where do you get those coffee sticks? I take Starbucks Via with me when I backpack, but I'm not really a Starbucks fan, they are just convenient. I hope dh's appointment goes well tomorrow.

Curlyjax I'm glad you know what the plan is for the next month with work. I like to know what the plan is myself. I can adjust to what is needed, but I would rather have time to adjust. One of my best friends just rejoined WW. She said when she looks back she seems to do best on that plan. She even attends the meetings which have very limited people and distanced. For me I figure whatever works and that changes from time to time.

Bill I bet the daffodils are just beautiful. Lucky dw and dd. Since I can't get my dh to go to the store, I guess I should buy some for myself. I would like to see what this area looked like in 1863 when it was first organized as a territory. I bet it wasn't as hot.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:08 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Oregon is 1st state to tax gasoline: 1 cent per gallon (1919)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. The book she selected was about "William" a blue-glazed ceramic hippopotamus from ancient Egypt. She loves the book because we have a replica of William that she's allowed to play with, "I'm being gentle," and has a tiny replica that we bought her. The excursion was to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. She was allowed to lead the way to explore the entire place to discover which exhibits she liked best. It's amazing how fast that kid can travel past American painters then stop for the Cezanne's. Then pose in front of the stacks of silver - likely Revere, but I didn't have time to look. She'd ask about the story of the dramatic paintings. When we got home, she went through the entire set of photos on DW's cell phone and told the stories to her mom. She made it clear that the painting that showed a chariot running over a man representing death wasn't to her liking. She adored a Cezanne of mostly pinks which she stood in front of in her pink t-shirt and pink tights.

The Museum had just reopened after ordered closed by the governor for several months. They were manic with hand cleaning. The main restaurant, all but one coffee shop, and the Museum Shop remained closed - all the places that make them money. Admission was by reservation only. I shudder to think of how little money is coming in. It's a big place - just the heating bill must be a fortune. We did get to make a sizeable contribution to get out of the parking garage.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch included an unplanned half of a pear that she didn't want from her lunch box. Superb! Naturally, I felt guilty eating fruit from a kid but justify that it was going to waste.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for snagging a vaccine appointment for your DH. I can't wait until the whole herd can just wander in.

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts for your DH's trip to the doctor today. I'd not heard of Mount Hagen instant coffee sticks. Looks pretty convenient.

Karen (karenrn) - Super Kudos for using the Beck strategy of distracting yourself to avoid an unplanned snack. Am jealous that you have your taxes done. Our DD absolutely loved the daffodils - couldn't believe they existed so early. Everyone has that same reaction since they won't be springing up around here for a couple of months. Fun to think that Arizona was once less hot.

curlyjax - Glad that you planned to get outside in yesterday's warm weather. Kudos for starting with your weights again.

Penny. - Hope that by now you're being furnished serious protective gear for doing your COVID testing. I do like the convenience of drive up testing.

Readers -
Quote:

What John also didn't realize is that reading his Response Cards and Advantages Deck - especially when he didn't feel like it - would build his self-discipline.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #135  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan and I'm feeling good this morning. My plan is made and it contains 2 protein bars for snacks if needed. Heading out to hike Flatiron in a little over an hour. It's about five hours of strenuous hiking and I always get a little nervous before doing it. I hiked it last 12/30 and it was just fine. I'm going with 3 other gals, one of whom has not hiked it before. She is plenty strong enough.

Tomorrow by this time I will have gotten my 2nd jab. I haven't made any plans for a couple of days afterwards just in case I don't feel so great.

Personals tomorrow . . . hopefully.
Closed Thread