Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches. Phone check in from the ranch.

Shot done and arm is sore but not too bad. No wheat day two but sushi so I have the weekend for the sodium to slip away. Exercise was wandering a Main Street at a nearby town and going into an antique shop of an acquaintance who is retiring. I didn’t need anything but I bought a Madame Alexandria doll for a friend just to support her. Sold two more clothing items on Poshmark. Taking Mom to get the second shot in an hour. My goal today is to allow myself to be hungry.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #107  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with an hour of cycling. I hope I continue to like this exercise.

Bill, interesting book. I might add it to the list. The old Frankenstein book is waiting for me on my kindle but one of my kids has borrowed it and isn't keen on sharing it back and forth. I've ordered another Kindle, which will be the fourth one. Surely that number will guarantee me one to use at all times.

Curly, have a great time with manfriend. We are all so nervous about socializing now.

Maryann, are they having you report your symptoms to the cdc? I had to create an account at vsafe.cdc and it texts me routinely for a symptoms check. I'm still getting weekly check-ins many weeks out.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #108  

HELLO, I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN LOSING WEIGHT, I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS DIET AND I HAVE FOLLOWED THE STEPS THAT THIS BOOK SHOWS ME The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss: jimmy0bb-20
Old 02-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - French-born American author Anais Nin born (1903, Neuilly-sur-Seine, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had to, again, shovel since it snew about two more inches. [Yes it is; look it up!] CREDIT moi for the exercise. This is the time of month that I start telling myself that February is on the way out and then, despite a lifetime of counter examples, believe that Spring will arrive with March. I need the hope as much as does DW who gets to plow through her seed catalogs to help her ignore the reality just outside the window.

Watched The Black Church again on PBS. I link the trailer this time. Can't stop raving about it. It's worth making an effort to see. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is an inspirational historian with the gift of drawing out the folks he interviews. The second hour of the first half (four hours total) has an upbeat interview with Opera; a snap of the next sequence shows that it starts with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.. Gates has a book by the same name that I just ordered from the library to review what I've missed - but it can't have the singing that makes the show so special.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was omelets and a green vegetable that we've never had before - Chinese something.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for choosing to marry a gentleman with an interest in cleaning floors - a keeper to be sure. Just completed the chapter in Sapiens about male/female hierarchy. Harari lists all the 'natural' reasons given by different societies over the ages - "myths" in his terminology. Meh! Wimpy reasons all. He rejects male strength and female childbearing. But seems to feel that male aggression allows males to dominate - particularly being leaders of the military and thus of society. He's skeptical even of that; suggests it's an unanswered question.

maryann - Congrats for selling two more items on Poshmark. A day with Sushi is a good day.

curlyjax - Ouch for a delayed reaction to your COVID vaccination. Seems to vary greatly among the folks I've heard from. I've lost track; is your DD still at home?

Penny. - Congrats for another hour of cycling. Yep, hope it continues. Ouch for the reality of 'sharing' with teenage kids who universally seem to adopt the notion "what's yours is mine."

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily

When to Read Your Advantages Deck

As you face the challenge of learning more Stage 1 Success Skills and begin changing what you eat in Stage 2, you will find that reading your Response Cards and Advantages Deck once in the morning is probably not enough. You will need to pull them out during the day and in the evenings to motivate yourself to do tasks you may not feel like doing. Carry duplicate sets of your Response Cards and Advantages Deck around with you - in your pocket or purse - so you always have those key motivational tools at hand.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 55.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Cruddy day yesterday.I did get my haircut, and did some shoveling for exercise which was actually kind of nice to do since it was easy and not super cold out. I did see manfriend who let me know he just wants to be friends so I came home and sobbed about that. I feel like this is another loss in a year of many. I've been feeling down about my job for awhile, still feeling a little off, and just cruddy in general. I really miss having one person who knows what's going on with you, the little things in your day, checks in frequently etc-and he did that for me in the beginning, which granted was two years ago-but this just makes me feel the lack of it again somehow.
Anyhow- onwards. I need to rally.I will plan this weeks menu and grocery shop at least, and get some healthy food in the house.
Bill- I will definitely check that program out, I hope it stays on pbs.org for awhile. yes, DD is still here and probably going to be for awhile, or off and on.
Penny- you definitely deserve your own kindle!
Old 02-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #111  
Green Tomatoes

I took my first walk in two weeks yesterday. We're at the stage of winter where 39 degrees feels warm.

Yesterday's other excitement was setting up an account with Home Chef, one of those meal kit delivery services. When it starts, on March 5, I'll get a delivery at my door of ingredients and recipes for three suppers. I'm looking forward to mahi-mahi with caper aioli served with crispy artichokes and fingerling potatoes, garlic sesame chicken tacos, and teriyaki chicken with smoked almonds. To me, those sound like restaurant meals, not home-cooked food. So, I'm pretty excited about it.

We've been talking about it for months, but I finally took the leap because I anticipate that there will be a week to a month when DH won't be pulling his weight in the kitchen. We normally cook together, so I wanted this bit of extra help.

Exercise +50, 825/1400 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: I started the audiobook of Sapiens, yesterday. It has a British narrator with the perfect voice for a documentary feature.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 02-21-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #112  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Spring seems to be here in California. The Almond orchards are blooming all around me. This is can be problematic because we are desperate for rain and now if the rain comes it will take the blooms. 70 degrees forecasted this week. I will take a beautiful walk through them today. It reminds me that everything is both gift and challenge - even spring. I have many "gifts" in my life right now. DS has been kicked out of the dorms for allegedly breaking Covid protocol. It has been upsetting. This boy has never had a discipline issue in his life. It is a long story filled with a "Mama bear syndrome" that I have controlled. Credit for letting DS take care of it. No one will be helped if I step into the arena and DH will be point guard if necessary. But DH has his first cancer procedure this week. We are all full up on drama here.

I have now touched the 170 pound mark. I have been wheat free for four days. It is one day at a time and for this moment and this day I can take a walk and continue to abstain from red light foods, add veggies, and exercise.

Credit for selling more on the internet and going to a jewelry store to sell a few odds and ends I never wear and take advantage of the gold price. I did do a trade for a pair of hoops that I have been eyeing. No out of pocket, though, in honor of Frugal February,

curleyjax: I am so sorry it is tough right now. It is hard not having that one centering person. I was single for a very long time and despite all my friends, I know I still longed for that person.
Penny: Great day of under budget and exercise.

Wave to all
Old 02-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #113  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with food and exercise. I might take a day off of exercise today but unsure. Tomorrow is strength training day.

Curly, so sorry about manfriend. I hope it at least opens you up to meeting a new manfriend who will be perfect for you.

Bill, I just snew it had to be a real word. lol
Old 02-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #114  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm having a lazy weekend. I did go to coffee with one of my young PNP friends yesterday morning and then a few phone calls, one of which I considered a good deed. I hope it helps me remember to never spend so long talking only about myself. Today is another lazy day. I watched the Sunday morning tv programs which I often miss cause I'm hiking. We need a new printer and I may go out and take a look today or it may wait. I had an extra snack yesterday and I am not feeling very motivated today.

Waving to all of you and hopefully I'll feel more chatty tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Russia & Britain establish Alaska-Canada boundary (1825)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Our weekly walk lost out to the cold. Ouch! But had a fun visit with masks, spaced apart at our kitchen table with our DS and DIL. Served them Sumo Oranges - just one more way California sends unspeakable good foods to the East Coast. Watched DS gobble them up until the bowl was empty. If one needs a snack, an orange is a great way to get it.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. The few Sumo Orange sections in the afternoon were better for me than the plate of cookies or cheese and crackers that we normally set out for guests. Methinks you can get away with stuff with family that you wouldn't do with outsiders.

Dinner included parts of a rotisserie chicken along with fresh spinach and a baked sweet potato. The rest of the chicken was stripped and put into two baggies of seven ounces each for chicken soup. I hated chicken soup all my life until the first bowl that I had that DW made; it contained LOTS of chicken. Apparently, in my childhood, chicken soup meant chicken-seasoned vegetable soup.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that you're going to try one of those meal kit affairs. Can't wait to hear the results. I've got a friend who says it's the best thing ever. Other friends haven't been so impressed. Love the thought of hearing Sapiens read in a British accent; I have to just imagine from the colourful British spelling.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder of the tensions a farmer faces with the daily weather. Ouch for the travails of your DS at his dorm; this growing up business does have its bumps in the road. Wish your DH well as he begins his procedures.

Karen (karenrn) - Good luck in your quest for a new printer - some good choices out there. I still miss having access to full-sized office printers at work. Yep, I worry that the part of the brain that notices that we're talking too much or too much about ourselves is one of the first parts to fade.

curlyjax - Yay for a haircut to lift one's spirits. Sorry about the course of the manfriend thing; this pairing up business is a challenge even without COVID.

Penny. - An onplan day is always a good day. Thanks for the "snew" pun - just what I needed.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily

When to Read Your Advantages Deck
tip:
Some dieters find it helpful to list advantages on their computer wallpaper or screen saver; to keep a paper list in their wallet, or their refrigerator, or in their desk drawer; or to note them in their appointment book or PDA.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 55.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the empathy everyone, I feel a lot better today, mentally and physically. I gave myself a day off other than getting groceries, and bought some prepared dinner too. DD went back to her apt for a week hopefully. I feel bad for her with all the girl drama but its so nice to have the quiet again here.
Plan for today is a 15 minute walk outside and get some weights done. Dinner will be chicken and acorn squash somehow, and I want to get back to eating some yogurt daily so I will fit that in.
Gardenerjoy- I know someone who uses a meal kit and loves it (okay, its manfriend!) It seems handy to have it all in one box preportioned out and ready to go.
Maryann- I'm so sorry about DS. The covid stuff in college is so hard. Good for you for letting him deal with it. Does this mean he's coming home for the rest of the term? Great job on the wheat free for 4 days!
Penny-yay for onplan day. A day off exercise can be good for the body to recuperate, or so I've heard.
Karen- yes, sometimes I've had to steel myself to call certain people. Good for you for doing that good deed!
Bill-nice that you could still have a visit with DS and DIL. I can see how chicken seasoned soup wouldn't cut it.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #117  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I woke way too early. A teacher's dream again when I couldn't get back to class on time after lunch and I couldn't call the secretary to let her know I wouldn't be there. This is a universal dream. All the teacher's I now have them. Disconcerting. So I just got up and finished a few projects around the house. I will meet with the retirement counselor today who already sent me my numbers. I have 29.979 years of service credit just missing the 30 year bonus by whatever (BBE can figure it out) The difference in $500 a month in retirement. So I guess I will be working another year. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't think any of my current "opportunities for growth" would be alleviated by retirement. i enjoy what I do and have a sense of fulfillment. Retiring wouldn't stop me from worrying about DH or DS. In fact, it would just give me more time to do so.

Penny: I get credit for an exercise session, as well. No I don't have to report on my symptoms of the Pfizer luckily. Maybe they just ask you because you are in the healthcare profession. I have had a headache for a couple of days but that is most likely related to some stress.
Karen: I love a lazy Sunday.
BBE: Started The Island of Sea Women audiobook while cracking pecans. I thought of your Sapien author's premise that agriculture was not needed for civilization. Maybe he should read how hard it was for the Korean "colonies" of Japan in the 1930s to just feed themselves by gathering enough food diving. Their rudimentary root gardens were the only thing that saved them from starvation. I went into the kitchen with a new sense of gratitude.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #118  
Green Tomatoes

Today, I decided to improve my mask situation. A recent story on NPR suggested masks with filters + nose wires + tied around the head. My current masks have filters, ear loops, and elastic edges that help with the fit, but not as good as a nose wire. I found a black woman-owned Etsy shop selling masks with beautiful fabrics and a beautifully engineered toggle-system for going around the head (I know I would fail at keeping knots tied -- I double-knot my shoes for that reason).

Here's the link to the shop -- scroll down to the bottom, past the reviews, to see a video of how her toggle system works.

Exercise +55, 880/1400 minutes for February
Old 02-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #119  

Good morning!

Yesterday ended in a pig out. I started out with a tiny post-work weekend extra snack of a cocktail, and small servings of nuts and olives. Then, I had two bowls of pasta made for the kids, and a second cocktail. Later I wanted something sweet so made sourdough toast with butter and honey. Doh!

New day, and back at it.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #120  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I got out for a great hike this morning and then came home and walked Otis, so I'm feeling good. I just made my food plan, but I did have it in my head and I frequently eat the same thing for breakfast. I also got myself to stop at the grocery store so I don't really have the need to go out again today. I'm going to do a steep hike of some sort tomorrow and then have Wednesday off to have fresh legs for Flatiron on Thursday. I'm going to the theater to see Nomadland on Wednesday. I'll go in the early afternoon and of course it is distanced and with masks. I love Frances McDormand and really want to see it. I do feel safer with numbers down significantly and me with one jab so far.

I had an incoming good deed call yesterday which I took and all I've got to say is I'm sure glad dh has been in such a good mood and sweet. I'm feeling like kind of a cold witch. When I think about it some of the problem is that it seems peoples personality traits have become more accentuated as they get older and maybe with the pandemic too. I just pray I am not that annoying or eccentric. I want people to feel better when they get off the phone with me, not worse. I better keep that in mind.

Penny Oh I've had that kind of eating day and a cocktail can sure be the start of it. I had a few extra snacks over the weekend myself.

GardenerJoy The masks look great and they are reasonable too. I have so many right now, but do let us know how you like them.

Maryann I have a similar dream, but for nurses. I am back working in the ICU and it is the end of night shift and I haven't given any meds or charted a thing. I am always so grateful when I wake up. I love being retired but I definitely had lots to do and plans made and even with all that it is a bit boring at times because I am not much of a joiner. I am sorry about the issue with ds. I know he is such a responsible young man and will figure things out.

Curlyjax I'm glad you're in a better space and also have an empty nest again for a bit. Hopefully dd can go back and forth a bit so she can handle the situation and you can too.

Bill Nice to get a good visit even without the walk. I'm loving the oranges we've been getting too. Do you have a laser printer? If so what kind and are you happy with it?

Well I hope you all have a good start to the week. I guess I'll get on with my day.

Closed Thread