Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 10:36 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Food was OP. I ate everything sitting except one roasted brussel sprout. I had popped it into my mouth subconsciously. Good enough. Exercise was one hour of outside yard work. I have a four day weekend coming up. I have some to dos so it should be a busy week. A busy week does not require more food for energy. It just requires more focus.

Gardenerjoy: Thank you for the post. Drs have not ordered DH a bone scan or a CT ( Is that an MRI?) DH can't go into an MRI chamber (claustrphobia) maybe that is why. They are going to do an ultrasound and a second biopsy. I am anxious as well about things that are usually easy. Interactions with DH seem more poignant which also carries an emotional load. I'll be happy to confirm a solid plan of action.
Karen: I am so impressed with your list of hiking companions. That is a big to do for me when I retire. I need to gather more people around me to hike. My friends are too far and not at all into backpacking. I don't know if I remember how to make new friends.

Wave to curleyjax and BBE.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:11 AM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - German poet/playwright Bertolt Brecht born (1898, Augsburg, Germany)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Normal trip to the supermarket with everyone masked and socially distanced. Not quite panic buying for the predicted snow. Store was full, but not yet to the point of making customers wait outside.

Exercise was shoveling the three inches of fluffy snow, CREDIT moi. It only took an hour just after dinner. Even so, my body knows that I did an hour of shoveling - shoveling/pushing with my sleigh shovel.

Dinner was seasoned cod fish with a newly named Chinese-looking vegetable. Can't remember what it was. Looked like broccoli with leaves and lots of stalk. Dessert was one of the small brownies from our friend just like yesterday. Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Such a good reminder that many functions in life have to continue even when there's a grave concern hanging. Kudos for keeping on.

maryann - Kudos for a life-style so healthy that popped food is "one roasted Brussels sprout". So much better than my old popped "one handful of cashews," LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Super that you'll have your very own step up box for training. Congrats for even thinking of putting on a backpack while working out.

curlyjax - So neat that you're getting your second shot. I know the experience of having to finish up a dish that isn't quite right.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily

Emily added many more advantages to her list as time went on. Here are just a few:. . .
  • I'm not nervous about losing control of my eating on vacations.
  • I hardly ever have cravings, and when I do, I know how to handle them.
  • I'm proud of myself every day.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 53.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Due to the snow, the clinic site was stopping in the afternoon, so there were a lot of folks in line. I had to wait about 80 minutes outside and it was cold. But I finally got the vaccine so that’s done. Today my arm is sore and I feel a bit draggy so i’m taking a sick day. Fortunately there isn’t a lot of snow to deal with. I didn’t do too great with the food yesterday but ah well.
Karen- had to laugh about locking sweets in the car- that’s me too. That step thing sounds like a great idea.
Bill-yay for a normal trip to the store. I am so over waiting outside for groceries.
Maryann-yay for a four day weekend. I’m psyched to have Monday off too.
Gardenerjoy- glad everything went well. That’s a great idea for the broccoli.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #49  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Food was OP with a few extra bites but all sitting down. Credit. I had my counseling appt. (Not to be confused with my shrink appt.) I have gone back once a month to help organize myself around DH illness and DS being gone. I cried the whole session. I have a lot of free floating anxiety apparently. Yesterday during my last class I was similarly overwrought. That class is particularly troubled. There are 27 kids in it - seven who don't show up. Only nine total have a GPA higher than 1.9 . I didn't realize this until I "let them have it " about the lack of participation during discussions. I can barely get them to use the chat rooms to answer any questions. Then I did some records research. So now I know. There are four or five who are bright as pennies and stayed after class to commiserate. I have to figure out some new approach.

I had a dream where I was back to a high school/college reunion and I couldn't find the room it was being held in. I kept going into musical performances. I was slim and in high heels which I could walk in (not real life.) I couldn't find DH but I found my only friend from high school who passed away years ago. I am definitely searching for something right now. Maybe everybody is. Today is a good day for a gratitude list. I'll make it after I hop off the post.

Wave to all.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

My anxiety was somewhat eased by doing a big stock-up grocery run. The mid-afternoon again proved to be a good time to shop with fewer people in the aisles. But it did kind of zap all the energy that I hoped would go into other things yesterday.

Our snow forecast disappeared until Monday, but today's high of 19 degrees is the warmest that we'll see for a week.

No meetings or outings today, but tomorrow's doctor's appointment is at 8:45am with the expectation that we'll check in at 8:30. So, we'll want to be fully prepared for that. I've already set tomorrow's alarm for 5:30am so that we have plenty of time to be thoroughly awake before we go.

Three 'buts' in this post. I think I'll take a cue from maryann and make a gratitude list today.

Exercise +40, 395/1400 minutes for February

maryann: MRI and CT are two different things -- but we never did get clear on the difference. I wasn't present for either the MRI that he did months ago or the CT from Monday. The bone scan machine was very open, although the command to "lie still" for 25 minutes would require me to do breathing exercises to not get anxious about it.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #51  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I ended up not having a good eating day after getting a text from my Tucson friend to say her surgery is 3/3 and she is back in Ohio visiting her sister. She had told me the surgery was 3/1. I have a real difficult time because she does not stay in communication well, but then has pretty high (according to me) expectations of me. It feels like a very one sided relationship to me. On 3/3 at precisely 10 a.m. PST I can submit my request to be on the Tahoe Rim Trail hike. I did look at my phone and I can do it on my phone, but I usually don't and I was figuring she would be home from the hospital by then. Anyway she thinks she will need help for a week but I am going to let her know I am available to 3 days total. My son wants to come visit in March and I think I'll specifically ask him to arrive at the 3 day mark so I have a reason why that is the day. I feel selfish feeling this way, but the other part of me says I just need to set my boundaries. And of course the off plan eating did not help the situation as usual.

I took Otis to the vet yesterday and I was able to go in with him. We love our vet. He is a one man shop and it is obvious he just loves the animals. Otis had a blood draw and he will have his teeth cleaned in the next month or so.

This morning I got out for a moderate hike with a friend I like very much and then have had the day to putter around at home and of course watch the Impeachment proceedings between things. Tomorrow will be a real day off from hiking since Friday will be 12 miles out in the Superstitions.

GardenerJoy Oh boy are you ever getting the cold weather. It is very mild here right now, or I guess you could say warm. I hope the doctor's appointment tomorrow goes well.

Maryann I just can't imagine how difficult it would be to teach the students that are having that much difficulty. Your note yesterday about all my hiking friends . . . you're right I have got quite a few now. They don't all like to do the same kind of hikes, but at least there is variety. I think I have mentioned that I selectively choose active friends now as much as possible. Also I am so out of balance that hiking is what I do more than anything else lately.

Curlyjax That was your second vaccine, wasn't it? I'm so glad for you. I can't wait to get my second, then I might even go to the movies again (with mask of course).

Bill Our cousin who lives in Watertown had a photo of her yard on FB and it was so much snow, but then she pointed out that it was from 2013. I'm glad your shovel is working so well for you. It is certainly worth having this year.

Well, my spoiled Otis wants to go outside, cause that's what we do at this time. He's sitting in the office with me letting me know.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #52  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - First British public female toilet opens (1852, Bedford Street, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chasing the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Took her to the Boston Museum of Science where she ranged from the basement to the second floor searching for the exhibits that she likes. Spend a long time in their new exhibit, Arctic Adventure: Exploring with Technology. She thought she was controlling a drone running a pattern with its camera over the Arctic Tundra, spotting Arctic Foxes and other animals. Got really concerned when a storm would come up and she had to quickly get her drone back to the base. All presented on a wall-sized screen. A lot of technology presented - all WAY over her head - that appealed to me. I listened to actual undersea recordings to attempt to hear the sound of a Beluga Whale within the ocean noises. Well presented to show that science isn't exact. "You have spotted a possible Beluga Whale," it announced instead of the more grade school like, "You found it." Terrific exhibit. Minuscule crowd since the weekday buses of school kids weren't there. I do fret about their survival without paying customers.

The cafeteria service at the museum was closed; not expecting that, I'd not brought my lunch so that we'd have one purchased meal to justify using the sunny cafeteria space overlooking the Charles River. DW graciously gave me half of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich; the DGD let me have the uneaten crusts from her PBJ. And I ate the apple slices that she rejected on the drive home. Thanks to Beck's "Hunger is Not an Emergency" for making me realize that a full meal isn't required.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - A grocery run is a healthy form of buying therapy - so much better than a trip to high fashion stores. Hard to believe that any human can "lie still" for 25 minutes without falling asleep.

maryann - Continue to wish you well facing the challenges of teaching during COVID - with the added challenges of kids with their own problems.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the difficulty of being a good friend with someone with a poor notion of boundaries. Kudos for figuring out what's right for you.

curlyjax - Congrats for being fully vaccinated. There's an article in today's paper that suggests that masks and social distancing are still useful.

Readers -
Quote:

After you make your list, get out the business-sized cards that you bought and write or type one advantage on each card. Now you have an Advantages Deck.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 53.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #53  
Green Tomatoes

We're up early to be awake and aware during the doctor's appointment. I have a pen and a small notebook devoted to notes about DH's medical care. I don't have a list of questions. I wonder if I should. Hmm. I'll see if DH wants to think about things in that way.

Exercise +30, 425/1400 minutes for February
Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #54  

I spent yesterday in bed, feeling like I had a mild case of the flu. I feel better this morning but not back to normal yet. I'll get up and see how I feel, but right now I don't feel like talking. DD may come home tomorrow -in which case I would have to shovel some heavy built up snow in front of my car so we can fit hers in too- and my car's tire pressure were registering low, so i'll have to deal with all that before i go anywhere on saturday. There is a lot of snow yet on the driveway so that will be a challenge. And the other cars have snow from the past storms built up on them which i need to deal with, and let their engines run a little. I'm grateful my kids have cars but this is all causing me anxiety (I don't have a garage) and i'm certainly not up to shoveling today. I wish it would STOP snowing but we're due for some more. ok, enough grumbling. I'm realizing I'm feeling helpless since I don't feel well.
My injection site is still warm and sore and a little puffy, I should probably ice it. I'm realizing I haven't been sick for a long time, and i'm SO grateful I didn't get covid.
Karen-you are not selfish at all, you are volunteering to help her, and good for you for setting boundaries. It does sound one-sided. Sometimes folks need a little push back to help them realize that.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #55  

Good morning coaches,

Food was pretty good yesterday, but I did have a drink for a multitude or reasons. Calories were low and the drink was low calorie so I'm not going to beat myself up about it. Today is a day off of hiking and it feels strange to be taking my time quite so much this morning, but there is no reason to be in a rush about anything. Food is planned. Lunch is out with a couple of friends. They are not the most careful, so I choose the restaurant with dining on the patio. Not only that the food is excellent and I'll have the sashimi ahi salad which I love. It's possible dinner will be out too and if not it will be leftovers, so that's easy. I've got to get to the store to buy some bread, which we often don't have in the house. I'll need a PB&J to take on my long hike tomorrow. I just received confirmation that the hike is on for Monday too and it is another hard one. Hopefully these will be helping me get stronger.

Curlyjax I had better reschedule my hair appointment which is on the same day as my second shot. I sure don't want to go to the hairdresser feeling poorly. I hope you're feeling much better very soon.
GardenerJoy I hope all goes well at the doctor's appointment today.
Bill It's so nice that you can be at the museum with so few people. I'm glad the gals shared their sandwiches. It is amazing to realize again and again that hunger is not an emergency. I was awake in the night and felt so hungry for a bit and then remembered it does pass, and of course it did.
Maryann I'm glad you have a four day weekend coming up.

Well, I guess I'll get up and get going. I'm thinking of getting started on the tax prep today.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #56  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yeah for weight inching back down. I am a pound above ticker - nearish the midway mark of the decade. I ate some food while standing just before I went to bed. Drat!! that is not usual. DH was at the ranch so maybe he is a boundary of some sort. In any case, all is well that ends well. As Karen says, I am not going to beat myself up about it. I was going to head to Tahoe today at noon taking a half day but that is when the snow is going to hit. I will head up tomorrow. Lunch is a roasted tomato polenta bake with Mexican seasoning and refried beans. Leftovers. I will work feverishly to get tons of correcting done so there is none for the weekend.

Karen: I echo the others about friends who take advantage. Sometimes it is not even what they ask but how they ask. Also I have to practice just saying no and not having a reason. No is no. True that it has burned a few bridges for me but those are the people that I really can't trust to be friends anyway.
Curleyjax: Thanks for sharing your experience. I am going to have Mom stay at my house after her second shot.
BBE: I am excited to think about getting back to Museums.
gardenerjoy: You and your DH are in my thoughts.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:10 AM   #57  

Good morning coaches,

I'm just going to post early cause I'll be gone most of the day. Food was on plan yesterday. I had the ahi salad for lunch and asked that the dressing be light and it was really light, but enough to taste. The salad is really low cal, but has a few edamame and a few of those crunchy wasabi peas in it for crunch and it is delicious. It was nice to be out and distanced on the patio.

Today I'm heading to the Superstitions to do a 12 mile hike that we call Ring Around the Needle (Weaver's Needle). It's a big rock formation in the Superstitions and looks so different from the different angles around it. There are just 3 of us going and I don't think I have met the 3rd gal, but it will be fun. Food is planned and dinner will be easy veggie burgers since I'll be gone more of the day and tired when I get home. I hope you all have a great Friday.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:33 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Spring Festival - Chinese New Year - Year of the Ox (~3,800 ya)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A tire on my LEAF had become low. I'd put off stopping by a gas station to refill it and check all the others. My electric LEAF, as you might expect, doesn't like gas stations. It reminds him of the old day of subjugation. Remembered that I had my DS's air compressor. Carried it out to the car; filled it right up; topped off all the others. All done! CREDIT moi for taking care of it instead of waiting until I was stranded on the roadside.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the third dip into the pots of burger, beans, and rice that DW had made several days ago. After dinner snack was my Cosmic Crisp Apple preceded by one more micro-brownie. They are really one bite brownies - about half the volume of Trader Joe's two-bite brownies.

Folks you see wearing red today might be celebrating the Chinese New Year. Expect lots of public red decorations and, in the right parts of town, lots of fireworks. Back in the day when one left home, we'd go to "Chinatown" in Boston and watch the celebrations. Kids under a long dragon costume is always my favorite.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your role as the taker of notes is just the best. Hope all went well.

maryann - Smart to avoid Tahoe when it's snowing - you get real snow up there. Great plan to get your correcting work done to have a free weekend.

Karen (karenrn) - Ahi Sashimi salad on the patio sounds wonderful. Kudos for continuing to take care even when your friends are less careful.

curlyjax - Ouch for facing old snow; old snow is just the worst. Are there any teenagers in your neighborhood in need of a few bucks? Wish I lived closer and I'd drop by with my air compressor and zap your tire right back to its desired pressure.

Readers -
Quote:
Emily"s Advantages List
Start thinking about all of the reasons you want to lose weight. Most dieters can easily come up with 15 to 20 reasons. Here are the reasons one dieter, Emily, put on her initial list: . . .
  • I'll look better.
  • I'll feel better about myself.
  • I'll have more self-confidence.
  • I'll be healthier.
  • I'll have more energy.
  • I won't have to worry about diabetes.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 54.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #59  

I ended up taking another sick day yesterday so I could totally relax, and I feel tons better today. The idea of dealing with the tire in the snow still doesn't thrill me, but it doesn't fill me with despair either so I'm definitely feeling better! I pretty much ate when I was hungry of whatever was around- and managed to make myself some dessert- but its back on track today. I watched a really interesting documentary called "Three Identical Strangers" on Hulu plus some old movies. It was really great to have a day when I just forget about the world.
Karen- hope you're having a great time hiking! you're lucky to have outdoor dining, we have quite a ways to go on that.
Maryann- good to plan ahead for your mom. I have read that older folks might have less side effects as their immune systems weakens as you get older, and its the immune system working that creates the side effects. Or something like that.
Gardenerjoy- thinking of you guys.
Bill- I would take you up on that if you lived close by! I need to buy a good air compressor clearly since this keeps happening to my fleet of cars I keep thinking our snow will melt before the next storm but no such luck. It would be so fun to see Chinese New Year, i've never been.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

The visit to the doctor's office went well.

We're looking at two options: surgery or radiation + hormone therapy. There are other treatments, but they're generally reserved for milder cases.

Surgery is only 40-50% of the time a cure by itself. That was a shock to me. I thought it was going to be much higher. The side effects are immediate and long-term – incontinence for 6-12 months and erectile disfunction for 12 months to forever. Fortunately, one of my young activism friends has a master's degree in public health, specializing in sex education -- which is not our generation's sex ed! She's been very helpful in helping us old folks learn about the many ways that we humans experience pleasure and sustain relationships. Her main recipe is equal parts creativity and humor. So, we were able to go into the doctor's appointment with much less anxiety about that issue.

After surgery, monitoring is with the PSA. It should be zero without a prostate. If it’s not, then they’ll do the radiation + hormone therapy, but they’ll be able to use a lower dose of radiation, reducing the long-term side effects of that treatment.

Radiation + hormone therapy is six weeks of daily radiation treatment and six months of testosterone-reduction treatment. This is actually somewhat more likely to be a cure – 50-60%. The problem is that surgery is no longer an option after radiation – it changes the texture of the prostate making it difficult and dangerous to remove. So, if the cancer does return, the treatment is more of the same. Generally, no incontinence and ED for 6-12 months from the hormone therapy. Other side effects are not immediate but can be severe, long-term, especially cancer of other areas caused by the radiation.

In general, the recommendation for healthy men under 70 is surgery because that leads to a longer life-expectancy. Men over 70 are likely to die of something else, so the recommendation is radiation and hormone therapy because of the fewer short-term side effects and less worry over the longer-term ones.

Although the doctor pointed out that there can be other factors. Some people are strongly against surgery. Other people’s reaction to the word “cancer” is “get it out of me.” Both of those responses in patients are taken with respect since respecting how people feel also impacts how well the treatment goes.

DH turns 65 in March, so he’ll probably go for the surgery. But we’re going to talk to the radiologist, mostly as a way of getting a second opinion.

Surgery can't happen for 8-10 weeks after the biopsy, in order to give time for everything to heal after that procedure, so we have some time to decide. If we go for surgery, that will be in early to mid April. That's good for a couple of reasons -- the weather will be better and DH's transition to Medicare will be complete. The doctor gave us a folder full of pamphlets and two books! So, we've got a lot of material to consider.

That was long! Thanks for letting me process all of that here.

Exercise +35, 460/1400 minutes for February
Closed Thread