Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #16  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I made a food plan first thing this morning. I started off the day with a ten mile hike with a couple of good climbs. By the time I drive there, hike and come home, it's five hours. Then there is Otis to walk so I've got lots of steps in today. One of the gals I was going to do the High Sierra Trail with last year still wants to do it this year, so it is back on the docket. We also realize we will be unlikely to get a spot on the guided Tahoe Rim Trail hike, so we will try for it but do a section hike ourselves if we don't get on that one. I think we are all chomping at the bit since there has been so much time at home the last year. My journal in the morning plan is working well. I'm actually feeling motivated, losing weight, and getting my to do list completed . . . . so far.

GardenerJoy I am sorry to hear about your dh's biopsy results. My husband is ten years out from surgery which he choose since he was pretty young and just wanted it out. I know I've said it before, but he has done very well. I know it is so common and so treatable/curable. It will be good to have a plan.
Maryann That would be tough having new classes of students so frequently.
Curlyjax Yes it's a good thing you've been doing some weight training. An even better thing will be to have the fellow come do it for you.
Bill Glad to hear you didn't have any negative reaction to the jab. You are certainly getting your workout with the snow shoveling.

I'm glad to report that Otis has been just fine. Fingers crossed that it was a freak thing that won't happen again. Dh mentioned that we added something to his water recently that is supposed to help keep plaque from forming on his teeth. We will stop that and I'll take the bottle in for the vet to see in case it is a problem.

It was 82 here yesterday and is 81 now. It is supposed to cool down to the 70's beginning tomorrow. I sure don't want those warm temps this early.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:51 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Free American Blacks settle Liberia, West Africa (1822)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Toward the end of the day she was still jumping about having not been outside in the snow covered land. DW suggested that she run in the circle connecting the rooms on our first floor. She did it ten times! All of that was energy just bursting to get out. Her big thing of the day was conducting a scientific experiment. Diluted blueberry juice was mixed with ten common household liquids. She saw the color change in proportion to their acidity - with a "control" sample from rainwater that DW had carefully collected from melted snow in her rain gauge. That little mind knows the basics of a genuine scientific experiment. Awesome.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Rushed through dinner to make my 7pm Zoom meeting; DW had a separate 7pm Zoom presentation that I'd wanted to attend. Overbooked in Zoomland is the new reality.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for the reality of your DH's biopsy results. Kudos for your sane response recognizing that early diagnosis leads to high recovery rate. Yep, eating won't help.

maryann - A day of legumes sounds healthy. Love your choices to show your classes.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat to hear that High Sierra Trail is back on the docket. Interesting that there's so much competition for a time slot on the trails.

curlyjax - Getting snow off the roof with a roof rake is some serious work; Congrats for doing that.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily

I reached the same conclusion in working with dieters. To be successful, dieters need to motivate themselves continuously. They do so by regularly reminding themselves of the reason that weight loss is so important to them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 52.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches,

I have been feeling rather manic the last 24 hours and realized I messed up on my medication. Then I over medicated and now I am dopey. Sheesh. So much for thinking I can do without the stuff right now.

I have to say the spilt pea soup I made was mighty taste. The ham is "done and dusted" with many jars of soups in the freezer and the last bit of pasta salad eaten for lunch today. My back tells me I need to get out and exercise today. i will do it after school.

gardenerjoy: We have our appt for another biopsy on Feb. 25 If that proves the cancer is the slow growing kind it might be the "watch and monitor" plan of action. Still it is worrisome if I let myself think too much about it. It could possibly be why I am be so manic today.
Karen: I envy the freedom to devote the day to so many steps. I am pretty tired when I get home. Lots of people in Tahoe. be Prepared. Our little cabin has skyrocketed in value because people are relocating permanently.
BBE: Three cheers for a budding scientific mind. Me thinks the little one had little choice on becoming a scientist.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone- quick wave. Exercise was more shoveling. I'm dithering about whether I need to get the snow off the roof or whether it will wash away with the predicted rain. I've never been good at science stuff and reading up on the prevention of ice dams by insulating or not insulating the attic etc is confusing. I will put that down as something to think about more this spring and take it one day at a time. At least I do have the name of someone who can help. A piece of me wants to leave the snow there to see what happens, as this is the first time it has really snowed since I put on a new roof a few years ago.
I did fairly well with eating other than eating too much prepared chicken -found in the freezer and quite caloric- but I'm doing well with not going to the grocery store again until Saturday.
Gardenerjoy-sorry to hear about your husband but very encouraging that it can be treated and possibly cured.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

Today's big chore is getting DH registered for Medicare. He turns 65 on March 31. I'm anxious that we not mess anything up since he clearly needs good medical insurance every single day, right now.

Exercise +35, 160/1400 minutes for February
Old 02-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #21  

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan and weight is inching down. It is amazing how slowly it inches down and how quickly it goes up when I'm not doing all the right things. I must just accept this. I ended up not hiking today but have taken Otis for a walk and will do some housework. I didn't sleep well last night so I'll probably need a rest at some point too.

GardenerJoy My dh is still working, so he needs to sign up for Medicare, but I'm not sure exactly what. He is going to work with someone to be sure he does whatever is needed since he will still be covered by his employers insurance.
Curlyjax Making decisions about dealing with a house sounds so stressful. I hope the snow melts without any problems to the roof.
Maryann I can see why people want to be in Tahoe. So beautiful summer and winter. If we do a section hike we'll have to see what area would be less crowded than others.
Bill Your dgd is a smart little cookie for sure. I wouldn't have known that the acidity of a liquid would have changed the color with the blueberry juice.

Well, I'm going to get with it on the vacuuming. I think I like it even less than cleaning the bathrooms. Have a good day all of you!
Old 02-05-2021, 04:53 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - National Wear Red Day (American Heart Association)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the second serving of the Moroccan dish made with chicken thighs. Really tasty. We'll have it again when we can find ras el hanout - the alternative spice in the recipe to replace cumin and sweet paprika.

Excitement was buying the sled shovel that I've wanted for a month ever since my DS demonstrated how powerful it is for removing a large area of snow. Turned out to be a slight challenge to fit it into my small eclectic LEAF but it contorted into the front seat just fine after a pause to think. This will distract me from still needing to replace the tire on the snow blower.

Applied Mark Twain's "If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And If it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first." I faced producing the minutes from the previous night's Zoom meeting and producing two paragraphs of additional text. I'm capable of putting off this kind of task until I suffer the burden. So, I jumped in and did the biggest one first, then the second. Made for a happy day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I despised registering for Medicare because I thought it was only for old people. Then I discovered that it's the only medical insurance for folks over 65 and felt less resistance.

maryann - Thanks for "done and dusted" - although I immediately knew what it meant, it's a new phrase for me. Congrats for getting so much food prepared. Kudos for juggling your meds to find the right dosage.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, the old body does seem to move more slowly down than up. Ouch for the missed sleep - but Yay for the afternoon nap.

curlyjax - Good luck with your science experiment with the snow on your roof. My vote is for attic insulation; I just love seeing when the snow fails to melt on my insulated roof.

Readers -
Quote:

If you're like Emily, a dieter I counseled, you're thinking, Why do I have to remind myself why I want to lose weight? I'll always remember. Emily didn't realize that it's really had to focus on those reasons when it's 4 p.m. and you see those homemade chocolate chip cookies on the breakroom table or it's 9 p.m. and you're dying for the ice cream that's in the freezer.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 52.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #23  

I practiced "hunger is not an emergency" since I wasn't hungry when I woke up, and then I ignored my hunger feelings until about 2. I probably ended up eating the same amount of calories at the end of the day but it still felt good to realize I could do that. I'm thinking that while I'm home AND the kids aren't here I could do a modified 5:2 fast but it will require some planning.
I'm still not sleeping well due to having warm flashes, ugh. I'll try putting the heat down even more tonight. Might as well tuck away the flannel sheets, I can't imagine using those for quite some time!
I need to get back to exercising again and plan for that in my day. I really don't like getting sweaty in the winter which is a silly reason not to exercise.
Medicare: Gardenerjoy and Karen, every state should have a SHINE counselor connected to a senior center, who is trained in Medicare stuff and can help you guys figure out what makes sense for you. It's free and they have no stake in the claim ie won't steer you toward anything.
Bill-I think my attic does have insulation but i'm not sure. I'm hoping the rain pushes it off before the next rounds of snow. Yay for eating the frog first, very good advice.
Maryann-yay for meds, i would be lost without my antidepressant, which seems to help with anxiety as well. Great job making all those meals.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #24  

Phone checkin. I hit the snooze bar four times.

Credit for treadmill yesterday to keep step count up. I am surviving on shaky food habits. I have no plan and am beginning to eat dinner with DH but still eat my usual dinner at 4:00 while justifying it with a small lunch. This won’t work. All meals need to be small and there can only be three. Finding a new plan is the focus tor the weekend.

Frugal victory: an item I listed on Poshmark was designer something but I had cut out the tags and it had a few tears. I put it up for 20 and one gal kept bidding 7. That was irritating. I looked at it again and realized the buttons were printed Dolce & Gabbana. I reposted it for $50 and sold it in a day. Fun. DH doesn’t really get it because he deals in 10s of 1000s with the farm. But shopping is my hunting plus it is important to have clothes that fit. I almost exclusively consignment shop.But I am not buying anything this month. I’ll keep it money on account for summer. I just did a lesson tor the kids in life of a tshirt including the environmental cost of cheap clothing and the human rights issues with China and cotton. I am practicing what I preach. Plus they liked seeing pictures of my Poshmark account .

wave

Last edited by maryann; 02-06-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #25  
Green Tomatoes

I have a long list today, which I want to accept as a list of "options" rather than a list of "must-dos" because I won't get them all done. And, eating will not help me get them done. Multiple stretch and dance breaks (especially with cross-body moves) may help me get through more of them. So, I'll focus on that.

Exercise +50, 210/1400 minutes for February
Old 02-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #26  

Good evening coaches,

I had a fairly busy day and almost forgot to post. Food has been on plan. I did a 10 mile hike this morning from one trailhead to another and then back. It was a couple of good climbs but was great. I was listening to a book which I so enjoy when I'm out hiking alone. I didn't quite get my to do list completed since the hike took so long, but I am still getting more done than I was before I was writing the to do lists. Tomorrow I'm meeting with my young friends from PNP in the morning. I haven't seen them in a month or so and I'm looking forward to it. Our weather is just beautiful. The gold tournament is going on here right now and is on tv, so I'm glad it looks so pretty. It is usually very well attended and dh goes at least one day every year, but they have really limited attendance for safety this year which of course is a good thing.

GardnerJoy I guess I'll look at my list as options today also.
Maryann I'll have to look to see what Poshmark is, I don't really even know.
Curlyjax Thank you for the Medicare info. Dh has someone who is helping him. I kind of decided to leave it to him. Usually I would take care of that kind of stuff, but sometimes I think he needs to do it. It is amazing when we decide hunger isn't an emergency. The thing I am most amazed about is how hungry I can feel and then it can just pass.
Bill Those sled shovels look pretty cool, but I bet it can be pretty heavy when it is full of snow.

Last night we had a Zoom of the Arizona Speaker's Series and Annie Griffiths the photographer spoke and showed her beautiful photographs from all over the world. The next speaker is Anderson Cooper. I've enjoyed it and I think I may have enjoyed it even more because I didn't need to dress up and travel to downtown Phoenix in the evening.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:25 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Queen Elizabeth II succeeds King George VI to the British throne (1952)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner had been planned to be a restaurant take-out after reading a newspaper article about how badly the restaurants are hurting. We chose a nearby Mexican place that's been serving the neighborhood for years. Fought through a badly designed website - challenging enough that if I wasn't on a mission, I'd have just gone someplace else. After I'd finally defeated its clumsy design, I had to call then to ask when the order would be ready for pickup; nowhere did they give an estimate. Pickup was smooth; in the cold, we drove although it's only a handful of city blocks away. Their food met expectations although I missed being served a bottomless basked of warm chips and salsa. CREDIT moi for an on plan day with no daytime snacks.

I played doctor with DW. The adult version isn't as much fun as the kids' version, LOL. I took a cell phone picture of her eye that she sent to her doctor: "You're doing fine, stay with the current plan." Sending in a picture is a massive time savor for both us and the doctor's office. I hope this part of the pandemic isolation continues into the future. And it really helped DW. I took four pictures until I got the one that satisfied her. She used the phone's normal features to blow up the picture until she saw every detail in her eye that she wanted. An expanded photo shows much more than one can see with any mirror.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Smart to consider the "to do" list as "options" so that you don't have to squeeze it down in advance. I'm prone to having one item equivalent to "Resolve world hunger" on my list which means that, when I can't do it, not doing all the others is justified.

maryann - Fun story of selling your item on Poshmark. Kudos for looking for a new plan. (You have a phone typo in "new plan" that you might want to fix.)

Karen (karenrn) - Love the image of you hiking away for ten miles with a good book in your ears. Yep, the sled shovel is very heavy when full - is made to tilt out the snow without ever being lifted.

curlyjax - Kudos for doing "hunger is not an emergency". That remains my favorite Beck insight.

Readers -
Quote:

Emily had lots of sabotaging thoughts that pushed the reasons she wanted to lose weight out of her mind in the face of immediate temptations. Do any of the following thoughts sound familiar?
  • It's okay if I eat this.
  • It wont' really matter.
  • I'll make up for it later.
  • I've been so good all day.
  • Everyone else is eating it.
  • It's too hard to resist.
  • I'll just have this little bit.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 53.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #28  

I practiced "hunger is not an emergency" since I wasn't hungry when I woke up, and then I ignored my hunger feelings until about 2. I probably ended up eating the same amount of calories at the end of the day but it still felt good to realize I could do that. I'm thinking that while I'm home AND the kids aren't here I could do a modified 5:2 fast but it will require some planning.
I'm still not sleeping well due to having warm flashes, ugh. I'll try putting the heat down even more tonight. Might as well tuck away the flannel sheets, I can't imagine using those for quite some time!
I need to get back to exercising again and plan for that in my day. I really don't like getting sweaty in the winter which is a silly reason not to exercise.
Medicare: Gardenerjoy and Karen, every state should have a SHINE counselor connected to a senior center, who is trained in Medicare stuff and can help you guys figure out what makes sense for you. It's free and they have no stake in the claim ie won't steer you toward anything.
Bill-I think my attic does have insulation but i'm not sure. I'm hoping the rain pushes it off before the next rounds of snow. Yay for eating the frog first, very good advice.
Maryann-yay for meds, i would be lost without my antidepressant, which seems to help with anxiety as well. Great job making all those meals.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

We have snow in the forecast tonight followed by a good two weeks of very cold weather. It's been a mild winter, so far, so I guess I can't complain, but I would have been just as happy if we'd avoided some of the sharper aspects, especially given what else I have going on. I'll aim to get a walk in at 32 degrees because I don't know how much lower I'm willing to dress for this year.

Exercise +45, 255/1400 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: I heard from another source, first, that today is the anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's coronation. I put the BBC Sounds app on my phone, thinking that I would listen to all kinds of things, but mostly, I've been listening to the Shipping Forecast in the evening. It's broadcast just before BBC Radio 4 shuts down for the night and, for lots of British folks, it signals that they are up too late and it's time to get to bed. The calming voice and the fact that it makes no actual sense, unless you happen to be on a ship, only adds to the soporific effect. So, I've been listening to it as I get ready for bed (at a much more reasonable hour in my time zone). After the Shipping Forecast, they play God Save the Queen and the announcer mentioned last night that today was that anniversary.

Waving to curlyjax who seems to be celebrating Groundhog's Day again.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #30  

Good Morning, Coaches.

BBE; Thanks for catching and mentioning my typo. Ironically, I have been talking and thinking about the Jewish religion a lot lately. One, I finished Unorthodox which I HIGHLY recommend. It is on Netflix with four episodes. Secondly, I created a lesson plan in my World Geo class about the boycott of Chinese cotton because of the genocide occurring against the Muslims in the Xinjiang region. I taught the students the term "genocide" referencing the Jewish concentration camps. So yes, we need a new plan for enforcing human rights.
Karen: i would love to have an in person group to chat with about food issues. I know I will have it when OA meetings start up again. i will then appreciate them more. Now that DS is off, I will have more free time to do the required travel. It is maybe a forty minute drive.
Gardenerjoy: Having heard about your list now for years, I would love to see a picture of it at the end of the day I know you have a structure you follow. My lists on in my notes of my Iphone. Each item is deleted when accomplished but I never have the satisfaction of a cross out.

So here I am knock knock knocking on the next decade's door. DRAT!!!!!!!!! I have a COMPLETE food plan finished. Lunch is a smoothie with broccoli, cherries, bananas, flaxseed and avocado. It demonstrates the seriousness of my new assault. Dinner is sweet potatoes and cottage cheese. We are heading up to Tahoe to bring wood to a neighbor but I WILL NOT VEER FROM THE PLAN. I will exercise down in the valley in case we arrive too late up at the lake.
Closed Thread