Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:59 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life

and the first book

The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:00 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Dio De los Muertos ends Daylight Savings Time (it's earlier than you think)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Survived Halloween better than ever. Used the simple trick of having no edible candy for handouts. DW bought some plastic toys, gaudy pencils, and Tootsie Pops. I defeated perfection by driving over to the home of my DS to see his amazing pipe slide that allowed them to put candy in a tube that slid down to the kids on the sidewalk. I took two candies that I took home and gobbled - my first candy in months. It wasn't Sees; it was common manufactured candy. They had dozens of Trick-or-Treaters in their neighborhood; we had less than 10.

Exercise was cleaning the remaining snow from my car. Wasn't much, but it had frozen. Apparently, I'd forgotten that the trick is to remove all snow immediately. My hope that warm weather would complete the job was dashed once more.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It's an amazing full moon. Love the thought of seeing it from your deck.

maryann - LOL at putting mushrooms in a paper bag and THEN forgetting them. Kudos for continuing to work on your time management.

Karen (karenrn) - I agree; a protein bar is a good boost for 2.5 hours of hiking.

curlyjax - Yep, a little time to putter is required in life. Glad that we didn't see that 18 degrees F out here.

tokidoki - Congrats for posting links. We do like your maitake mushrooms - we use the name "hen-of-the-woods" and can only get it at Farmer's Markets when someone has gone out and gathered them from the wilds. They're amazing when sauteed with tons of butter.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 6 Make a memory Box

Keep some blank cards in the box so they will be at hand when positive experiences occur. Or, if you prefer, keep a Memory List at the back of your Diet Notebook.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 38.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-01-2020 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I thought I would escape the evil Halloween candy by not buying any. But then DS went over to a friend's house and brought a bunch of candy which I got into. And dinner was some frozen junk since it got too late to make the planned salmon etc. I had been showing DS how to measure tire pressure and we were trying to inflate them with a bike air pump but that backfired and ended up making one of his tires really low. So today I’m going to go buy an automatic inflater.
And then I was trying to set up my new cell phone which seems to need wifi access to set up some things- which I don’t remember needing before, but it's been awhile- and it just wasn’t communicating with my home wifi. Arghhhh, I hate this stuff. I’m hoping manfriend will let me come over and use his; he’s good at figuring out this stuff.
But- the grocery shopping is done, I do have a nice healthy salmon dinner planned for tonight, we have heat and light and the wifi is working for everything else, thank goodness! And an extra hour, even if that does mean it’s going to get dark earlier, boo.
With the snow and cold I feel like we have skipped november and gone right into december!
Bill- that pipe slide sounds awesome! Yes, I informed DS he needed to clean his car off friday as it was going to be freezing temps overnight.
Tokidoki-I’ve never heard of quince, it looks very good! Yay for a great day.
Karen- maintenance sounds good for sure. Funny, DH liked to putter at home on the weekend but it would drive him crazy not to leave the house at some point. DS will go off late January.
Maryann- I continue to be so impressed at your no sugar track record! I can’t seem to go more than a few days. DS is good company, I know I will miss him when he goes off to school.
Gardenerjoy- you get to avoid the candy trap too! Hope your ankle is feeling better.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

I overshot my exercise goal with my longest walk since I hurt my ankle -- yay! It's still achy when I lay on it in certain ways in bed or bend it in certain ways at other times. But, at least, it's mostly functional.

We got into the Halloween spirit with "The House of the Devil," a horror film by a director that DH has recently become a fan of. We learned, again, that horror really isn't our genre. I'm going to re-watch "Coco" today for The Day of the Dead -- Disney is much more my speed.

I got up early enough to see the full moon a second time, before it set. It was perfectly framed in the long skinny window of our stairwell.

My first activity this morning was to write 1000 words and my first scene for NaNoWriMo. The perfect way to begin November.

Exercise +60, 1420/1400 minutes for October
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for yesterday and keeping to all by plans. I have one day in a row. Today is the same with an accurate food plan, step work, walk, and gym.

Boy was Halloween different without candy. it wasn't Halloween at all. I did have some 90% dark chocolate with a specialty coffee and coconut. It did not start a food craving so it is on the yellow light list. It was also not Sees candy which will always be on the red light list. We watched old Halloween video of DS at three and four years old. I told DH that we are not going to spend every holiday thinking of the past. We are going to continue to make new memories. He did not seem to believe that but I am determined.

Funny the talk about quinces. We have a quince tree down at the ranch but I don't harvest them because they take so much sugar to make edible.

TokiDoki: The 7 pounds lower is from my current weight so not skinny. I have always been very curvy. That is not going to change. Good thing there are no complaints from DH. I have been as low as 150 but, at 56 years old, many friends and a few strangers say my face looks too thin. At two points in my life I was over 200 pounds. In the end it is better for me to use clothing sizes to judge if I am at goal. I am a solid size ten right now. When my size 8s become comfortable I am at maintenance.

Wave to all.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 146 / 140 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Today was not as good as the last two days, since instead of eating my planned afternoon snack I ate some sugary cereal (at least I portioned it!). If I lived by myself I definitely would ban cereal from inside the house...

BillBlueEyes thank you for the mushroom suggestion, next time I might try to sautee them (they were available at Aldi, probably my favorite supermarket ever for fresh produce)
curlyjax if you ever see quince for sale I recommend you try it! Random etymology fact: "The term "marmalade", originally meaning a quince jam, derives from marmelo, the Portuguese word for this fruit."
gardenerjoy congratulations on hitting (and surpassing!) the October exercise goal
maryann credit for keeping to all your plans, it's so good when it happens. I use around a tablespoon of sugar per quince to make them edible, plus the sweetness from the port wine. It's not for eating everyday, for sure, but I don't think it's too bad (and I usually eat half of a fruit at a time, since they're so large)

Tomorrow I'm working a 12h shift during the day, so most likely I will not post here. I wish you all a great week ahead.
tokidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Yesterday's food was on plan and I got up and hiked Bell Pass this morning. It's a little under 3 hours and lots of elevation gain. I was looking forward to it so I could listen to my book, American Dirt. I'm over two thirds finished with the book and I'm really liking it. I love to have a book I want to listen to so much that I get out for a long hike. Not that I can't listen at home, but I don't on the weekends when dh is home. We didn't go on a ride yesterday. I decided I would rather go after the election. If politics came up I didn't want to be stuck in the car pissed off at each other. As it was we had a good day and I had a nap.

TokiDoki We are going to have two Aldi's stores opening in our area sometime soon. They aren't so close that I would go there for regular shopping, but it would be fun to go look. The Phoenix area where I live is really big and spread out.
Maryann I didn't buy any candy and we turned our front lights out and closed the shades, but two trick or treaters came to the door anyway. I was glad we had the Ring doorbell so we could see when they left. I felt bad, but not bad enough to answer the door. It's so much easier not having the candy in the house. When I have See's it's usually right in the shop and I get two pieces. That works for me.
GardenerJoy You are always so good about meeting your exercise goal and this month even more with a bad ankle. Good job! The much more difficult part for me would be the writing you do. I was so glad to finish graduate school and never really have to write again.
Curlyjax I'm not crazy about having to figure out technology either. If I can't find out how to do it on YouTube it's over. I hope you get your phone figured out.
Bill I've seen some of those candy chutes on the news. What fun and what a great idea. The one I saw looked like it was made with PVC pipe and then decorated. I guess you'd kind of have to have a porch to do that. We just have one little step.

Well I hope you're all having a great day. I have a feeling we'll be "watching" the Seahawks football game this afternoon. I think I'll wear my headphones and listen to my book at the same time.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #8  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default November

Coaches

Hi!

I went off track Sept 22nd right after my last good Dr visit. Only this past week have I begun to get myself and my food back on plan. During that offroad session, I managed to regain 7 to 10lbs. My scale is seriously wackadoodle right now, even after changing its batteries. I get a range of weights, usually a span of 3 to 5 lbs. The span is trending down this week as I once more close the kitchen before 7 or earlier and hold off eating until noon if possible. I'm trying to limit my carbs and having a bit of success, but its spotty. I've tripped up a few times in this last week. What is most creditworthy is the urge to try again and the concrete steps taken. *credit*

I am grateful to be back here where you guys are. I dreamt the other night that Billblueeyes picked me up on a sidestreet and drove me to a bus station so I could get home. I took that as a metaphor to come back here! Thanks for the lift BBE.
to all.
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday-Haile Selassie I crowned 225th Emperor of Ethiopian Solmonic Dynasty (1930)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Our desire to take a walk was rained out so visited the New England Aquarium with DW, DS, and his SO. Much fun to go without the DGD who controls the pace when she's there. They did a good job of crowd control; folks all wore masks. Having a fat membership paid off since adult admission is $32 each. DS hadn't been since we took him as a child, but remembered everything. Since Myrtle the Turtle is 90 years old, she's the same Green Sea Turtle he visited back then. We spent an inordinate time watching the staff feed small fish, one by one, to the 70 penguins (African and Southern Rockhopper). Alas, it made me decide that I'll have sardines for lunch today. DW has refused to feed them to me - an act that I insisted would make us closer as a couple. A bonding experience. A mature love.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. For three days I've made a corned beef sandwich from canned corned beef, whole wheat bread, and mayonnaise. Finally got around to counting up the calories. Good grief! More calories than I have for dinner. Gotta categorize that as a rare treat.

Since neither of us were enjoying raw mushrooms in out salad, DW sauteed the rest of the pint. So yummy added to the sauteed spinach. Saved half for a later meal. Sauteed is the way to go for mushrooms. However, the volume of butter means they're aren't calorie friendly. I asked DW why I never see them listed as an optional vegetable at restaurants. She snottily pointed out that they aren't vegetables - they're fungi. Good point. I've never seen a restaurant menu with a column marked 'Fungi of the day.'

onebyone - Kudos for getting back on track. Congrats for a bit of success with a food plan that limits carbs. LOL at appearing in your dream - glad to assist. If memory serves me right, Wednesday is your birthday. Happy Happy Birthday with 39 more to follow (in case I forget since I'll be up to my ears watching election returns).

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for your first 1000 words into NaNoWriMo. I, too, got another look at the Hunter's Moon this morning since the sky is clear.

maryann - Yep, Halloween without a kid in residence is just not the same. Wonder if we'll wheel ourselves from bed to bed doing trick or treating once the kids have locked us up in the old folks' home. Watching kids grow is such a part of living.

Karen (karenrn) - I join you in not wanting to discuss politics these days. You make me want to try audio books some day. Yes, we tend to have elevated porches because we tend to have basements for furnaces to keep us warm all winter.

curlyjax - Ouch that the joy of a live-at-home DS includes him arriving home with candy. Congrats for teaching him how to inflate his own tires. I've done mine with a bicycle pump many times; I now gladly put a dollar in the machine at the gas station. I'm so old that I remember when gas station attendants did that as a service. (Remembering that those of us who drive electric vehicles don't patronize gas stations - Duh!)

tokidoki - Ouch that some (portioned) sugary cereal made its way into your life. An Aldi's just opened about three miles from home; you've made me inclined to go try it.

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 6 Make a memory Box

As you progress through Stage 1 and beyond, be on the lookout for these positive experiences: . . .
  • When you get a compliment that is important to you
  • When you feel really good about mastering a skill (for example, once you make yourself eat everything sitting down for several days in a row)
  • When you are so glad you resisted eating unplanned food
Old 11-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #10  

The tire inflator thing I bought did great for one tire....then stopped working. Big sigh. Luckily DS doesn't need to go anywhere for a few days, we'll have to go to a gas station sometime this week. This is on the old car, I still need to jump thru the hoops to get my dad's car insured etc, then DS can drive that one, and i'l probably donate the old one. My car insurance is an insane amount of money, which is partially due to DS being a young male.
I did finally figure out the phone and our wifi password which is apparently on the modem or router. I informed DS, and wrote it down. I use lots of scraps of paper for this type of thing and its another goal of mine to get all that organized.
I ended up eating candy again, but at least the dinner was healthy and light. Onwards today.
Onebyone- welcome back and happy birthday. It's my DD, aunt and my own birthday month too (mine is a little too close to thanksgiving, what were my parents thinking) Yes, the urge to try and concrete steps is huge. I'm in the same boat and am starting again too.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

This work week will only be three days. I have oral surgery scheduled for Thursday. I am not looking forward to it. I have the skin doctor check today. So it is a week of stops and starts. I am corrected up but not planned up so I will have to make a big push today and tomorrow.

I reset my ticker for the beginning of the month. It reflects today's weigh in. I stopped eating early yesterday. Credit. I went to the gym for walk and weights. Credit. This morning, I got up and added some tweaks to my breakfasts ( nuts, vinegar, whole oats.) I want to be at the lower end of this weight decade before the holidays hit.

Wave to all.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #12  
Green Tomatoes

I'm two scenes and 2000 words into NaNoWriMo -- yay!

My brother came by and picked up a charcoal grill we're giving away. We left it in the driveway and all I did was watch out the window. That left me sadder than I expected. We're talking every week on the phone and we weren't in the habit of getting together more than about four times a year. Unluckily, one of those times is March because of our partners' birthdays. That didn't happen, so I haven't been physically with him since Christmastime and I have no idea when we'll get to do that again. He has health problems that make him even more cautious than me.

Credit to me for not eating over it.

Exercise +50, 50/1400 minutes for November

tokidoki: Thanks for the etymology of 'marmalade' -- I loved learning that!

onebyone: Glad to have you back here. What a great dream!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - U. S. General Election Day (since 1776)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner included fresh green beans to which DW added the remainder of the sauteed mushrooms. Sauteed mushrooms improve any dish. Then, to further benefit from the dozen vitamins and minerals they contain, added pickled mushrooms to the green salad. Absolutely yummy. Except, DW doesn't like anything pickled in her salad. She picked them out. She also doesn't like capers in her salad for the same reason. So, I'll add pickled mushrooms to my salad only. Will live longer just to show her who's right.

Excitement was the arrival of yet-another package of face masks - KN95 made in Korea. These fit my face more comfortably than others that we have. I wore one out and about doing errands for an hour; my glasses didn't fog and I was comfortable. Striving to find the perfect fit, highest protection face mask possible since I believe we'll be doing this for at least another year. If not for much longer.

Feels strange to me not to racing out to vote as soon as the polls open. Don't have to since I cast an early vote last week. For those going out today, I wish you a safe journey.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for being so rigorous with your NaNoWriMo. Ouch for the pain of watching your brother out of the window.

maryann - Congrats for setting yourself a goal for before the holidays hit. The Thanksgiving through New Year's stretch is a challenging one for me.

curlyjax - Ouch for the cost of auto insurance for young men. I share your ability to save key information on little scraps of paper.

Readers -
Quote:

task 6 Make a memory Box

As you progress through Stage 1 and beyond, be on the lookout for these positive experiences: . . .
  • When you suddenly notice that you are rarely experiencing cravings
  • When you feel proud of yourself for getting right back on track after making a mistake
  • When you realize you are not worried that others are judging you because of your weight

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-03-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #14  

Somehow I thought election day was tomorrow instead of today- I think of it as Nov. 4th. DS kindly informed me its the first Tuesday in November- and so the student becomes the master! So I have to have my biopsy done the day after election day which doesn't thrill me- but the chances of election aftermath violence happening in this area is small, its not a big city. I am worried about it in general-DD was thinking of going shopping in Boston this weekend for her birthday, and we both agreed that was not a good idea.
I only had 2 halloween chocs and they are finally gone, but I did overdo it with some cereal for dessert. I made a lovely roast which I haven't done for eons; DH was the one who cooked steak etc. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and it was a 2 pound roast, just right with some leftovers that I will put in my salads.
Bill- can you share what brand/where you got the masks from? I have troubles with the glasses fog thing too; sometimes I leave my glasses in the car when I grocery shop or end up wearing them on my head instead of my face.
Maryann-is the skin doctor a regular checkup? I need to get into that habit. I'm not sure dermotologists around here are seeing people in person yet, or at least for non emergencies.
Gardenerjoy- my brother is very overweight and has some asthma, so i'm definitely not seeing him for quite some time either. Usually we get together at my dad's place, but I don't know when in the forseeable future that will happen. It is hard.
Karen- great idea to "watch" a football game while listening to a book. I would definitely need to be doing something else too!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #15  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default Happy Election Day to my American Friends!

Hello everyone

Of course I too am on pins and needles about your election. I wish for you calm and peace and well, mostly a calming effect. I hold my breath with you all.

I am also holding my breath for my lovely old kitty, now sitting in a cage of some sort at our vets. He's having an ultrasound today. He has been super stuffed up and sniffly but yesterday's exam revealed a mass in his abdomen. My poor Caesar cat. I love that cat. So today all will be revealed. Honestly, I expect to be providing hospice care. He's between 16 and 18 and had a few years of hard living before he came into the family and the good life.

Foodwise I'm not consistent. I continue to try but I don't have the pattern down that I had before. I am deeply distracted and emotionally wrung out by the potter's onli e sale I've been organizing plus getting commissions looked after. My one show this whole year is happening on the 15th as well so thats additional energy burned right there getting organized for it.

I am complaining. I will stop. I recognize how fortunate I am. Truly. DH is on holiday. I turn another year older tomorrow. And we are going to see this for my birthday:

https://pumpkinsafterdark.com/

Life is good.

Be well everyone.
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote