Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:10 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:12 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - World Vegetarian Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Another trip to the Boston Museum of Science where we watched a 35 minute movie about the moons of the planets of our Solar System. It was projected overhead on the dome of the planetarium. Kinda neat - like an over the head 3D movie theater. Got reminded that the rings of Saturn were likely once a moon that slowly orbited too close until gravity pulled it apart into the rocks that we now see. Moon by moon we marched through the planets.

Eating lunch at the Museum was terrible. To use the cafeteria tables, one had to buy a lunch. I volunteered. Then little bit wanted something different than what her mom had packed. I compromised by ordering chicken tenders with fries. They only had fried onion rings. OK. After one bite, the DGD declared that she didn't like fried onion rings. And that she not only liked chicken tenders but she ate them faster than I could fight for my share. My lunch turned out to be bad fried onion rings - like microwaved pre-frozen stuff. So I got all the calories, all the fat, all the salt, and little of the pleasure. I suppose I could have called upon some Beck Strategies to do better. I had ample money in my pocket; other food was for sale; I'd be at home in two hours where other food was abundant. And, since I'm not in danger of starvation, I could have skipped lunch entirely - dinner was coming in six hours. Will work on this next time.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad to hear about "Fire Shut Up in My Bones." Congrats for living in the cultural center of the country. If we still left the house, I'd consider driving down to New York to see it. Seems like another era that I even think about a casual trip to New York.

maryann - Ouch for the labor issue; I suspect there's more of that going on than makes our newspapers out here. Good luck figuring out the low variety issue.

Karen (karenrn) - Lunch at the country club with only one other table of diners seems rather elegant. Hard to figure out how they make money like that. Congrats, I suppose, for lasting through the entire "****show" last night.

curlyjax - Thanks for the reminder, "Sometimes people only want to be listened to." Think that's true outside of professional roles more often than I recognize.

Penny. - Neat that you bought a Discman for the trail. Did you have to explain to your kids what it was, LOL?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

You may even be able to find a Diet Buddy online, although I recommend that you persist in finding one with whom you can have voice-to-voice contact. Online communities are wonderful at supporting dieters, helping them solve problems, and getting them to realize that they are not alone in their struggles. But dieters can too easily fail to post on any given day, and they can post messages without reporting their change in weight and the skills they did - or didn't - do, depriving themselves of the key benefit of a Diet Buddy accountability.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 35.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I stayed OP yesterday except for ordering a DD mocha latte which supposedly had 170 calories. Work was satisfying in that I helped someone get thru to verizon cell phone service, which is difficult if you can’t remember your pin- they won’t tell you anything without it, and i couldn’t get an account made online for her, the info didn’t add up. Persistence and finally reaching a nice human being who didn’t make us jump thru hoops. It’s very hard these days if you don’t have email, a laptop, and are a bit forgetful Anyhow we fixed it and she was very grateful.
Also I had a nice phone call with DD, and manfriend actually called me-we hadn’t chatted in about two weeks and I had decided to wait and see if he would call me, I’m trying to wean myself off him a bit. So all in all a satisfying day.
Bill- oh those chicken tenders and fried accompaniments. Many a dreadful meal of these do I remember with my kiddos!
Karen- that birthday lunch sounds lovely. I love little desserts, you get a variety of small tastes.
Gardenerjoy- really interesting opera!
Penny- wow, amazed they still sell those! I was not happy to learn new cars don’t have the CD players anymore, they are so easy to use on a long trip.
Maryann- sorry about the farm stress, those are big issues indeed.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Still engaged in sloppy eating as plans slipped and slid in unexpected ways. A written food plan helps at those times, so I'll try that today. Since I know that supper will be early, I'm writing "apple" down as an evening snack.

Exercise +30, 1540/1400 minutes for September
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with my long hike and weight is up. I am pretty sore and got a couple blisters on my feet.

My usual brand of hiking shoe seems to be not a good fit since I've lost weight. I went down in size, but the width is still too big and allowing some slide.

Have a great day, everyone!
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday including no drinks. This morning I hiked with a friend and it's so much nicer to hike when it's 71 instead of 91 when the sun is coming up. I came home and walked Otis and had a smoothie for breakfast. I'm off to get my car emissions checked so I can get my new tabs. We have to do this every other year. I set some 60 day goals and took measurements this morning so I can see if I make some progress with that as well as weight. More tomorrow.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:52 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday- Political & spiritual leader Mohandas K. Gandhi born (1869, Porbandar, India)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At the peak of fetal development, the brain creates 200,000 neurons per minute! That grabs me more than that the brain has about 68 billion neurons. Takes a lot of work to create 68 billion neurons. Big takeaway: the brain develops under direction of our DNA, but not neuron by neuron. There are more neurons than our DNA could direct at that level. So, we're each unique in the low level of wiring in the brain. Kinda boggles my little mind. My unique little mind, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was cold salmon, cold potato salad, and cold kale salad. Pretending to be summer, I suppose. Cosmic Crisp apple for evening snack.

Excitement was the arrival of the HDMI to HDMI cable to link up my second monitor. Set it up easy-peasy which delights me because I was sure that my computer skills were decaying as the neurons are dying. Watched two Zoom presentations in the evening using the second monitor. On my first monitor, I did email, monitored 3FC posts, and other tasks. Great fun. The second monitor is 23" so I'm enjoying the size increase over my laptop's 17".

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad you're also in the evening apple club. We can crunch together.

Karen (karenrn) - Our auto inspection stickers are only good for one year. Would prefer two years like you guys get. Kudos for "on plan with no drinks."

curlyjax - Yay for a good phone chat with your DD. And manfriend. And helpful to a client at work. What a great day.

Penny. - I hate it when my feet lose weight. Or gain weight. Shoes are supposed to last until the leather soles wear out too much to be resoled again. (I haven't worn dress shoes since COVID hit, LOL.)

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

At the very least, you need to communicate with your Diet Buddy daily - either through phone calls (you can leave voice-mail messages), faxes, or e-mails - to report your change in weight (you don't need to reveal your actual weight), as well as how well you completed each task in the program.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 36.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave as I might actually get to work on time today, ha! Food was OP except for a shared brownie at Panera's. I met a friend I haven't seen for at least a year, and it was awesome. She's a hugger so she's having a very hard time with SD but we did pretty well. She's a PT so she dx me with high arches and tendency to pronate- my shoes get more worn on the outsides, I think I have that right- so i'll keep that in mind when I buy shoes. She thinks I have a heel spur rather than plantar fasciitis. We talked about menopause, kids, the works. Hope to do it more frequently.
My weight is up today not suprisingly but I woke up hungry so that is good.
Happy Friday!
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/268/160

Height: 5'8'

Hi all. Dallas was as I feared... off plan. My weight is up - no surprise and it is hard to get back on plan. I go back to work tomorrow so that will help. I am going over to my sister's house today to pick up some beans that she is canning for me. I called and asked her since she is out of work and taking up canning if she can make me some soups so I can give the money to her instead of Progresso.
I did have a great time in Dallas. My BF did all the driving, I wasn't feeling good on the 1st day so I slept most of the drive there. We went to see the JFK museum and took a couple of trolley tours; rode the DART and then walked around a bit. My favorite thing I saw was Thanksgiving Square. We then hit the road again and to stay the night in Biloxi, MS. Gambled a little bit (only $40) We left with $58 so I guess we aren't high rollers, but we didn't give them our money.
I work every other weekend so this is my weekend to work and next weekend he wants to go to Memphis. He loves to hit the road and see American history. I love to go to new places and spend time with him, but I'm just as happy to stay home and watch my grandson be the cutest thing.
Today I will try to do better.
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/161/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

Yesterday was my 33rd Sobriety Birthday. It was also the first day of my favorite month. I have decided this is going to be a great month. Karen has set 60 day goals. I am going to seta 30 day goal of getting to ticker. it is only 3 pounds away. that is doable. I will also do weights/ stretching 8 times this month. Simple enough.

BBE: You crack me up about eating the onion rings. DH is exactly the same. It is the rare time he will leave food on his plate no matter how many times I say "Wasted on your body or wasted on the plate." Those starving people in China do NOT eat onion rings.

Interesting in class yesterday . We studied the The Gender Pay Gap - from the Explained series ( I highly recommend it. Netflix series but can be found on Youtube. )At least 40% of my students answered that women are better at taking care of children and should stay home with them. I offered through questions the idea of the benefits to all of freeing all genders from stigma. I wonder how much sinks in sometimes,

Wave to all.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #11  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food was on plan and again no drinks. This morning I hiked Bell Pass by myself and listened to part of a podcast and then part of a book titled Project 333. It's about wearing only 33 items of clothing for 3 months. There are a number of things that don't count in the 33 such as sleepwear, loungewear and exercise clothing. It's interesting and just my kind of read.
I had an urge this morning to have something off plan and then got busy and forgot about it. It amazes me how if I just sit with it and change the focus I can stay on plan and feel really good about that. My goal for the 60 days is to lose 12 pounds. I would never consider losing that much in 60 days except that half of it is a really recent gain. I think I'm already down a pound or two. Whether I meet the goal or not, the direction will be down.

Maryann Congratulations on your 33 years of sobriety. You must have made that decision quite young. A gal I hike with a lot right now has her 22 year anniversary tomorrow.
Serendipitous Sounds like you had a nice trip. I find it difficult to watch what I'm eating on the road too.
Curlyjax I'm fairly certain you supinate. The way I remember is to use my hand as if to scoop up some water. The baby finger part of the hand goes down first (which is where the wear is on the shoe). When the hand turns over it's kind of like a soup ladle. So fun to have a nice visit with a friend. I just had a long FaceTime chat with my good friend who lives in Vancouver BC. Who knows when we will be able to see one another again. She used to have a condo here and we hiked tons.
Bill I don't think you're losing many neurons at all. How nice to have two monitors. It seems so many people who are working at home now have quite the set up, but look at you having quite the set up even without working at home.

Otis wouldn't walk this morning. There is construction going on a block away and too noisy. Since I had just hiked for almost 3 hours I just gave in to the little spoiled one. Tomorrow is his 4th birthday. He has been a delight.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday-The Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes named Kingdom of Yugoslavia (1929)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made it to the library to pick up two more Isadora Moon books for the (5 yo) DGD. She has enjoyed the two reading sessions with the first book. Hope her interest lasts. This picking up books from a table outside has worked so far since the COVID-19 partial closings of the libraries. Worked because it's been warm enough with almost no rain for six months. Don't know how they're going to handle cold, rain, sleet, and snow that's to be expected. Never thought of librarian as a physically dangerous job, LOL.

My Land's End flannel shirts arrived via USPS. Feels super to wear a shirt that's both new and fits. DW says that it looks sharp - but she's a biased observer. She most likely means, "You look happy." I tend to forget that clothes look tired after repeated washings - even if there are no holes in them. My frugal little brain also enjoys knowing that all three on sale with FREE shipping cost the same as a single one with shipping. I'd probably wear a sheet if I got a good enough sale on it.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled pork chops and deeply sauteed Brussels Sprouts. The Brussels Sprouts have a light touch of maple syrup (genuine Vermont) and butter. When slightly blackened, they're just the best veggie ever. A Cosmic Crisp Apple was evening snack.

maryann - Congrats on those 33 years - may you continue. LOL at "Those starving people in China do NOT eat onion rings." Delights me to learn how many of us were hit with the starving people in China line as kids.

Karen (karenrn) - Happy Birthday, Otis. Hard to believe that you're four already. Many little boys your age love, love, love garbage trucks. You can learn to do this also. There are starving children in China who would love to have garbage trucks.

curlyjax - Yep, waking up hungry is a good sign. Neat that you had a good visit with your friend.

serendipitous - Neat that your visit to the JFK Museum in Dallas met your expectations. Terrific that your sister is canning beans - I read that canning supplies are hard to find in some places since lots of folks have started canning again.

Readers -
Quote:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

Report all of this information first. If you didn't practice a Success Skill (or didn't do it completely), tell your Diet Buddy your plan for how you will do it the next day - and consistently every day after that.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 36.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/161/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I love Saturdays. I think one of the bonuses to a full time job is the incredible feeling of a free Saturday morning. I am still up early just to putter. Then I will throw myself into some much needed yard work.

Yesterday I had a great kid hop on my intervention meet and share about home life for 25 minutes. Thankfully there was no one else on. This kid is very articulate and is dealing with very real issues - first and foremost the fight he had just had with his brother who is a year younger. He showed me the bruises and the hole in the wall. He has taken the parent role since his parents have split. He talked about his mom's infidelity and how he had to work to give her money (he is 16) but now he lives with his Dad. On and on. The kid needed to talk. I tried to first discern if he was in an unsafe situation. ( I am a mandated CPS reporter.) That did not seem to be the case. Then I tried to help him to see that he was not the parent. Finally I asked him to practice three things that made hime feel calm and good about himself. Finally that got the kid like smile : soccer, talking to his girlfriend, and playing xbox. I said do a those this weekend and I'd help him finish a project on Monday. Such an intimate conversation is very rare in all my years but I am in his home five days a week with school. The boundaries between school and home have changed. Plus everyone here needs to get outside and give each other space but the horrible smoke is back. I am glad I was there but I don't know if I helped.

So today I am going to take my own advice I gave to the boy. What makes me happy? I am going to finish a mindless romance. I am going to putter in my closet. Karen: I love Project 333. It makes so much sense. Finally, I will play the piano for awhile.

Weight is down a smidge and yoga is scheduled.

BBE: You might have to do Project 333 to work up to 33 pieces of clothing in rotation. Your new 3 shirts will help.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't meant to go AWOL yesterday. A lot of other things didn't go the way I meant them to yesterday, either. I'm planning less for today since I seem to want some grace and recovery time.

I've experienced a distinctly lower energy level for the last few days. The easiest explanation is the ragweed pollen count, so I'm going to go with that rather than fret about all the other possibilities.

Exercise +20, 50/1400 minutes for October
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #15  

Good morning coaches,

I did plan drinks yesterday and had 3 instead of 2 and also ate dinner past satisfied. I know I am more mindful of being satisfied when I haven't had a drink first. I took half of a sleep aid last night because I haven't been sleeping well at all. Sometimes I just take one to try to get myself back on track. I slept like a log. We both walked Otis this morning since it's his birthday, as if he isn't horrendously spoiled every day of the year. I've been to the grocery store and heading to Costco soon. At noon I'm doing some volunteer texting with Women's March Action. It is just my 2nd time so we'll see how it goes. Then this afternoon a friend is coming over and we're going out to dinner (for the first time) and will be outside on a patio. I hope it isn't too hot. It's supposed to be about 102, but in the shade with fans it should be alright. My food plan is made and being busy will help me stay on it.

GardenerJoy Take care of yourself and I hope your usual energy level returns soon.
Maryann I love the concept of the Project 333 but I feel like I would like to be at a lower and stable weight before I get rid of things. When will I decide what a realistic maintainable weight is? That is the question.
Bill I'm glad you're happy with the new shirts. Those brussel sprounts sound nummy.

Well, off I go to Costco. Hopefully it will be open but not too crowded. Actually they do a pretty good job of limiting shoppers. Have a great Saturday all of you!