Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #76  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today's excitement is three Zoom meetings scheduled all at once! Obviously, I had to make a choice since I can't attend multiple meetings at the same time, even when they're virtual. I suppose it could be managed, technically, but all three meetings deserve my whole brain and it can't be split in that way. I chose the most action-oriented one.

Exercise +55, 640/1400 minutes for October

BillBlueEyes: Yes. That's the exact annoyance about moon awareness that I'm trying to solve in my brain. It's especially annoying to know that my grandmothers and previous generations would have had that knowledge instinctively. If I want it, it's going to take a concerted effort of many months.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #77  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was off plan yesterday with an afternoon snack that I really didn't need. I didn't get on the scale for fear of what it would say, but I'll get back on tomorrow or Saturday. I slept really well with is rarer than it used to be. My friend and I hiked Tom's Thumb this morning and it is a fabulous hike. Huge boulders and slabs of granite, so it isn't the usual looking desert hike. Also lots of elevation gain which I used to hate, but now I love. I know it helps me get stronger. My sil called yesterday. I had the dates of their visit mixed up and they'll be here Saturday. The next day I'll take them up to her daughters and we'll hike up there, or we'll go later in the day on Sunday and I'll stay over. I haven't decided for sure yet. It will be great to see them and I'm sure we'll be seeing them even more soon because my brother will be retiring by the end of the year for sure.

GardenerJoy Oh my goodness you are a busy Zoomer. I'm glad you only had to choose one meeting.
Maryann Boy do I need that empty feeling. I remember the days when I actually kind of liked that feeling. I'm going to have to learn to enjoy it again.
Curlyjax I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. A lot of people have met on Match.com, heck it's better than waiting for Prince Charming to come to the door.
Bill A lot of people seem to be doing rock painting these days. I have a couple of friends who do very intricate designs on theirs. It actually looks quite fun.

For those of you watching the moon, it was just beautiful here very early this morning when we got to the trailhead. We could see the whole moon but with just the crescent lit up.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Charlotte Brontλ publishes "Jane Eyre" (1847)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had to laugh at a friend who is concerned about her almost 6-yo DGS being behind because he can't write a complete sentence. Duh! Turns out that the woman's DD had toilet trained herself before anyone noticed and taught herself to read at the age of three. New notion to me that the mother of a remarkably advanced child would carry that as expectations for her grandkid.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was a Cosmic Crisp Apple. Dinner of Whole Foods Clam Chowder was consumed while watching a Zoom lecture about Aztec excavations in downtown Mexico City, similar to that described here. Added to my Bucket List for the day that travel becomes possible again. I'm so old that I remember back when the worst fear of travel to Mexico was GI issues - not COVID demise.

Today's challenge is to tackle the leaking kitchen faucet. I have to take it apart to find what part needs replacing, then get to a plumbing supply store to buy the rebuild kit ($). Or, get to a kitchen supply store to buy a replacement faucet ($$). DW is not happy at the thought that we could be without running water in the kitchen for a day or so. My greatest fear is having to call a plumber to come fix the mess that I make ($$$$).

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at three Zoom meetings all at once. Think I'll start a company making a multi-Zoom app where on can appear to participate in multiple Zoom meetings. I'll get rich instantly.

maryann - Kudos for accepting feeling hungry.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you now love elevation gain while hiking - your legs must be getting stronger.

curlyjax - Yay for a good medical appointment, especially having the same practitioner for all these years. Congrats for "hope springs eternal" - a good sign that you're still alive.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

Even if you're also seeking the help of a diet professional, I'd like you to have your own Personal Diet Buddy whom you can call or e-mail every day, even on the spur of the moment when you need help - now and int the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 37.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I spent part of the evening reading why online dating sucks and how often it makes you feel depressed- which was actually helpful. Some people on there are definitely playing games, some just want to admired, some aren't real etc. Anyhow, once more I realized if I really want to be a contender I have got to lose a chunk of weight which is fine, I tend to be in denial. And I don't photograph well, so I need to get some good photos done at some point. I get sucked in by seeing someone who seems real and decent but nothing happens.
Thanks for letting me vent. Mostly I'm fine but sometimes I get lonely for a nice man who is attracted to me.
Foodwise not good yesterday. Onwards.
Karen- have a great time with your SIL. That is awesome that you will be able to see her and your brother more soon!
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 173/161/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I can't believe that is Friday again. Credit last night for keeping to a schedule that was tight in order to fit in exercise. I shopped for food in less than 30 mins practically running through the store so I could get to my book club meeting with my college buddies. We have given up on the book portion because 4 of us are teaching and there is too much going on,. Food was OP. Slightly hungry again. Credit.

curleyjax: I never met anyone on Match and I was single for a long time. Match felt very non organic. Obviously I didn't do the bar scene either because I don't drink. I was open to blind dates, chatting me up and outdoor excursion trips like sierra club offers. It was a hard scene for people who were the perfect weight . I really think it is less about weight than being yourself and being open to possibilities. DH was a blind date that I didn't connect with so I set him free. A year later he called me and I thought anyone who calls twice gets a second look.

Wave to all
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #81  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I'll just admit that this isn't my best food week for some reason. I didn't hike today, just took Otis for a walk and did some housework and more stuff outside to be ready for company. I purchased new cushions for some of the outdoor furniture and then never put it out because it was too hot anyway. So yesterday I scrubbed down everything out there and now it is ready to go.

Maryann Sierra Club outdoor excursions sound like a great way to meet people. Especially if they are local excursions.
Curlyjax This is a difficult time to be trying to meet new people for sure. Some of the gatherings that would have been great ways to meet people just aren't happening.
Bill My friend and I were in Mexico City 6 or 7 years ago and loved the Templo Mayor and museum there. We also went to a symphony at the Palacio de Bellas Artes. What a beautiful place. Actually I just loved Mexico City. I'd love to go there again. We were only there a couple of days, but made the most of them . . also saw the Frida Kahlo museum. Boy do I have some stories, but I would embarrass myself. I think I was posting here at the time. We went to learn Spanish for a month and didn't learn much of anything.
GardenerJoy After all that computer time yesterday you might just be taking a break!

I'll be watching The Way I See It tonight on MSNBC. It's described as an inside look at the Obama presidency through Pete Souza's lens. I have it taped too. I believe they said no commercials. It's 10 pm ET, so quite late for you but great for me.

Have a great weekend. I may not post again until Monday.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:49 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Thomas Edison patents the Optical Phonograph - movie (1888)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was pork chops with apple sauce - always a favorite around here. Evening snack was my beloved Cosmic Crisp Apple.

Spent the entire day futzing with the kitchen faucet. It is too corroded from our water to be fixed with a kit. I ordered the exact same Kohler faucet to replace it - can't get it locally from the places whose websites I know about. It comes in five different finishes and several configurations. Took me a while to convince myself that I had the right one. The good news is that I put the current faucet back together in a way that is barely leaking. We won't be hurting for the week we have to wait for the replacement to arrive. I call it a victory for what I was able to do. I'm not as agile crawling under the sink as I used to be. Nor as strong extending my arm out to twist a stuck valve. Plumbing is for young men.

Talked to a husband-wife pair of out-of-town relatives who have been tested positive for COVID-19. They have a mild case and can easily isolate. They are taking nothing stronger than what they'd take for the flu. They expect to be non-contagious in ten days. Surprises me how different the different tales are.

maryann - Thought of you because today's the anniversary of the 1967 opening of "Hair" on Broadway. Remembering that I took my sister who had lived a narrow life. She was shocked, "That's the first time I've seen an adult man other than my husband." Yay for zipping through the food shopping in 30 minutes.

Karen (karenrn) - Love hearing your memories of Mexico City. What a month you had. Yay for getting your outdoor furniture ready for company.

curlyjax - Ouch for having to re-experience all the feeling of middle school to enter the dating market. Having a good photograph sounds like a good idea. A gray-haired relative just married after losing his wife; married a lady in their church - neither are svelte. My guess is that meetings in real life are more realistic than online meetings. I wish you well tacking this.

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 5 Get Organized

The state of your kitchen and dining room can influence how you follow the Beck Diet for Life Program. If these rooms are cluttered and messy, it can make you feel out of control, which can affect your confidence in staying in control of your eating.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #83  

Happy Saturday!

Food plan worked great until I got home and tried to solve mental fatigue with grazing. Thankfully I have a very food safe environment and everything was healthy. I did not get into red light foods such as bread or nut butters. I don't keep processed sugar in the house. Credit. DH and I continue to have "discussions" on communication. There remains a great deal of adjustment to having an empty nest. Of course it hasn't even been two months. I need to be more patient I think when DH goes down the negative rabbit hole.

So for today, I am going to take a walk and listen to my Spanish lesson. I have laundry and yard work. I am going to work on my OA tenth steps which have taken the back burner since school began. I am super grateful I have been able to avoid school on the weekends by pushing hard during the week.

Karen: I have an irrational fear of Mexico which is a bummer because I want to go to a more advanced language institute. ( I am at the intermediate level.) I have a fear of going to a country where I don't trust a blood transfusion. (I know. I know.) It looks like it will have to be Spain or Costa Rica?
BBE: I am impressed with the faucet. There is nothing systematic about my brain. I am a big picture gal. Good thing I teach History. DS interviewed for and was offered an internship with a company in Ann Arbor that detects radiation ( or something like that.) He informed DH that his talents would be better served at the company rather than pipe moving in the summer on the farm.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't really mean to take a day off, but as karenrn guessed, I really needed a break. I spent most of yesterday shopping, cooking, and playing with paint and paper.

Today has been oddly social for someone who has been so careful about isolation. Our masked and distanced vigil, followed by a 20-minute conversation about books with a few people who hung around at the end, followed by returning a borrowed book to someone who lives a 10-minute walk away. She must have been watching out her window, because she opened the door when I got there so we could have conversation with me standing back six feet and wearing my mask.

For those who miss book conversation, here are the titles that came up today:Exercise +45, 715/1400 minutes for October
Old 10-18-2020, 05:11 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Women are considered "Persons" under Canadian law (1929)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was keeping my agreement to head to an electronics store to get a TV for DW for her birthday. She figures that once winter drives her out of her garden and all our normal out of the house activities cancelled due to COVID-19, she might want to catch up on old movies. I only agreed to look to get educated. Alas, we came home with a new TV and a soundbar. The prices are so low - I couldn't believe it. However, the quality of the 75" sets is outstanding. That quality isn't built into the smaller sets such as the 36" that we bought. Spent part of the afternoon setting it up. Not there yet. Plugging in a new TV requires a discussion about all one's hopes and dreams of sources of entertainment. It scanned the ether to see how many digital TV stations I was receiving. (None.) It needed to know my zip code. Felt violated; I wanted a TV not Big Brother.

Exercise, CREDIT moi, was exploring a park where we might take the DGD to climb small hills and boulders left by the last glacier. Was a neat place. Folks were out in the chilly day hiking the trails and even sitting on a blanket in their jackets having a picnic. We'll do anything to pretend that it's still summer.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a frozen lasagna from Whole Foods - good enough. DW assures me that her days of making a lasagna from scratch are over - just too much work. Besides, a lasagna should be large to feed an entire table. Eating for two changes the dynamics.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the list of books to consider. Neat that your friend was ready at the door with her mask to have a conversation.

maryann - Ouch for having the DS spread his wings. Congrats for having the DS spread his wings. This parenting thing is tough. Listening to a Spanish lesson while walking sound like a good pairing.

Readers -
Quote:

task 5 Get Organized

Following the program will be easier if you can readily find the dishes and utensils you need. As you rearrange them, look through your cabinets. What can you get rid of? Appliances, pots and pans, or dishes you never use? Food that is out of date?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

DD was due to drive home Friday night. I went to bed, woke up at 3 am and freaked out because she wasn't here (very rainy night, thinking about car accidents etc).Finally got back to sleep two hours later and in the morning she texted me back saying she was coming in the morning. Sheesh! I sternly informed her she needs to text me if she isn't coming when she said she was.
I had a long lovely massage yesterday, did my early voting (where they asked additional covid questions outside like losing taste or smell, which I haven't encountered before) and met a friend for a long walk. We think it was about 3 miles, with many stops and starts as her dog accompanied us who is a bit nervous. She has had some success with the dating app Hinge- at least she's been able to talk to a few people!-so I may try that one.
Food was okay until after dinner when I was hungry, i didn't eat enough during the day, and once more snacked too much. I will get back on track.
Its 30 degrees outside- I broke down and turned the heat on. Happy Sunday all!
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #87  
Green Tomatoes

Our red flag warning is gone from the weather forecast and we're expecting rain this afternoon and maybe more over the next couple of days. Yay! I'm planning a morning walk so we can be cozy and warm inside during the rainy part of the day.

Exercise +60, 775/1400 minutes for October
Old 10-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #88  

Good morning, Coaches.
Yesterday was a nice mix of productive and rest. I finished tres Spanish lessons using the tricky subjunctive and comparison (When you were young, were as small as me?" Yikes. ) I was trying to learn by osmosis rather than practice as I used the very satisfying power tools to work in the yard for two hours. I need to do at least another six but I have made a goal to work after school the first couple of days after school. it shouldn't be too hot and it will get me moving after a day of sitting.

Food was too much and I still am standing while I eat too often. I want to focus on adding the food I know keeps me healthy rather than trying to eat less which always forces me in the opposite direction. I will work on my OA steps after I post here. Credit for soaking beans yesterday and cooking groats this morning so I will have a week of grain based meals. (Greger's research shows the de-flouring a diet is very productive.) Also, I will not turn on Netflixs until I am in the gym walking. I have been successful watching the first part of a show at the gym and then the second at home.

My buddy set me up with a list of podcasts I am excited to listen to during walks.

gardenerjoy: I think I'll try the Fierce book you put on the list. Thanks for recs. I always am interested in new finds.
curleyjax: I would have been frantic if DS didn't show up. It si a completely reasonable boundary to set.
BBE: Do you get internet channels on your tv or simply cable? Could you list the brand you bought? We need a replacement 35' for my bedroom that can get the internet. We have been too overwhelmed to start the search ourselves.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Streptomycin, antibiotic remedy for tuberculosis, isolated (1943, Rutgers U)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS and his SO in the sunny afternoon - all properly masked and socially distanced. More folks were out than I've seen in a while: artists painting the scenery, kids in strollers, family groups, a young man in shorts and t-shirt ignoring the chilly temperature. As if a last gasp at Fall was being celebrated.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner included a small slice of a small birthday cake that our DS and his SO had made for DW's recent birthday. Loved that it was small. DW cut it into quarters so that, twice, we'll each have a piece with dinner. Dinner was red lentils - uber healthy - unfortunately paired with a yummy garlic nan bread that was also yummy and composed mainly of calories.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay, indeed, for some rain. Getting cozy begins to sound good.

maryann - Congrats for plowing through three Spanish lessons. It just boggles my mind that young kids can do sentences such as "When you were young, were as small as me?" Without knowing the words subjunctive and comparison, LOL. We bought an LG 31" TV. It gets Internet where we'll have access to our Amazon Prime account and, hopefully, YouTube videos. Haven't set that up yet - I'll let you know. Cost only $179. A Sony of the same size cost $299. We can show 4k but not 8k. For about $800 we could have replaced a wall of our house with a monster set. Then we'd have had to buy a sound system with sub-bass woofer on the floor. Etc. - "home theater" has no bounds.

curlyjax - Ouch for the pain of kids who have no idea that adults worry about them. BTDT. Congrats on voting early - I'm going to try tomorrow.

Readers -
Quote:

task 5 Get Organized

Also look in your refrigerator and cabinets for foods that you might find overly tempting.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #90  

Happy Monday!

Credit for gym visit which included both walking on the treadmill with a grade and light weights. I am sore this morning from the weights which shows how out of practice I am with them. Food was not stellar. Only 14 tweaks instead of the 20 or so I did last week. Still, better than getting takeout like I was thinking of doing. Today I have planned simple, defloured meals included a chickpea stew with the chickpeas I soaked yesterday. I have packed my groats/beluga legumes into five small Tupperwares to take to school. Credit for prep.

This week I planned to spend an hour or so a day outside in the yard after school, listening to Spanish and working off the effects of too much sitting.

BBE: Thanks for the t.v. tip. I wrote it down. Youtube is just an app you download on the smart tv. It works great. I watched a mass service yesterday. Also, I can send you a you tube link of DS playing Gershwin Concerto in D with the orchestra when it is all set up

Wave to all.