Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #136  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still coming down slowly.

My bike ride only lasted about a mile before my daughter crashed onto her face. We hobbled back to the car and I have her chin patched up. I drove her to the ER but when we got there the chin looked not so bad. We went home and I bandaged it. But later I realized it probably only looked better because swelling set in, and it is deeper than it looked. Ugh. Now wondering if I should still take her in a day later. I'll decide after I look at it again this morning.

Curly, have you seen the doctor? It does sound like you could have a gallblader issue or something.

Maryann, congratulations on the new car!

Joy, the garden walk sounds divine!

Bill, it is kinda nice to zoom in to life's daily minutiae and note that things are working well. The big picture is exhausting.

Karen, I'm surprised the movie theater is open, but I guess that is encouraging. Yay for having it to yourselves!
Old 09-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #137  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I was mostly on plan yesterday except I did have two drinks instead of the one planned. I didn't have a fudgescicle though so the calories were probably the same. I did the moderate hike this morning with my slower friend and this morning she didn't feel good so she was even a little slower. I guess coffee and no food didn't sit well, but she'll know that for the future. I seem to do fine with just coffee before I do that hike thank goodness. I've got a new water softener being installed now which I am not excited about. Seems like a lot of money, but I guess ours wasn't working well. I hope I can tell the difference. I don't really care that much, but I don't want a build up of stuff in the pipes.

Penny I don't know how encouraging it is that our theaters are open. I think it's more about our leadership, but as long as I can go with few people and all masked I feel safe. I do love the movies.
GardenerJoy Sorry about the too late and too early at the garden, but it sounds like it was great anyway.
Maryann New cars are nice for sure. I'm trying to drive mine until the wheels fall off, and so far it hasn't needed much, but one of these days I'll be looking.
Curlyjax A visit with your Dad and a newer car for ds sounds like a good deal. Luckily I don't mind driving, but then again I don't have to fit it into a short time period. I'm thinking about driving over to CA to see my cousin in a month or so since I didn't see her in the summer.
Bill It sounds like all is well in your world. I was hoping to tell you what variety of apple I bought, but it must have been on the plastic container and the apples don't have stickers. I really like them and they aren't Honeycrisp or Gala.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:59 AM   #138  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Author F. Scott Fitzgerald born (1896, St. Paul, Minn)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Best moment for me were the minutes she sat mesmerized while I read Isadora Moon Goes to the Ballet. We made it through four chapters - a long bit in one book for her. Then the call of playing with grandmom became greater so we'll continue next week. Our adventure was a park/recreational area where we'd never taken her before. Found a well-maintained playground with climbing structures just right for her age. We ate our lunch on a bench on the edge of the Charles River as sculls rowed past. Sculling is popular on the Charles, continuing late into the fall until even an active athlete might freeze. She fed Mallard Ducks and Canada Geese some Cheerios brought with us just for that purpose. Was fun watching the more maneuverable Mallards ducking the pecking geese to get their share. We considered amusing the DGD more important than the health impact of a few Cheerios in the diet of the water fowl.

Amazing feat: she completed a 100-piece jigsaw puzzle almost completely by herself. She's just good at jigsaw puzzles, as in really good. She already knew to find the corners, then to complete the edge, then to work on one figure/feature at a time. The good news is that there is another picture on the back side (with different color background) so she can do that next week. Will work on how to convert jigsaw puzzle skill into a college scholarship, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, where the plan included the DGD's ignored Gala Apple on the drive home after dropping her off. And one Animal Cracker from the stack being fed to the kiddo. I still love those little guys - presumably for the memories since the taste is a tad bland. Our garden's Cherry Tomatoes continue to arrive in abundance and they are still firm and sweet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, "too loosey-goosey" is a problem. Nice that your visit to the Missouri Botanical Garden allowed all the warm memories that you really like the place. Autumn seems to arrive on its own time schedule.

maryann - Your Ford Atlas blue Edge looks sharp. Congrats for six months without dessert.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the reality of the cost of a water softener. I'm with your friend; I'd have trouble hiking with just coffee and no breakfast.

curlyjax - Interesting plan to visit your dad and to return with a better car for your DS. A five-hour drive deserves one or two stops to stretch the legs.

Penny. - Hope your DD's chin is under control. I hate it when a kid under my care is hurting. Yay for coming down slowly.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

Few dieters - especially chronic dieters - can achieve lasting weight loss without the help, encouragement, and accountability that only another person can provide.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 35.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-24-2020 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I talked to my pcp's office and they agreed my symptoms might well be the same excessive stomach acid I had 6 years ago, which I cured by taking omeprazole. So i'm starting a 14 day trial and we'll see what happens. I went off the rails eating chocolate at the end of the day, but at least I resisted its siren call earlier.
I was tired when I got home but forced myself to do my weights and a little stationary biking, and I cleaned up the kitchen dishes and prepped lunch. So I should be good to go this am.
I hope I can find something social to do this weekend, just a walk with a friend would be good.
Maryann-yay for a new car; love the color. So wild to be able to order one online.
Gardenerjoy- nice to visit a beautiful familiar place.
Penny- poor DD! Hope she's feeling better now. I don't think its gallstones, the nausea was more of a slight dizziness thing which I'm thinking is due to hormones, I do get dizzy once in a while.
Karen-So interesting to see regional differences, I've never had to use a water softener. Or maybe its pipes issues. I think my grandma's house had a well, and the taste was awful.
Bill- so glad DGD enjoyed the book. You may be able to eat outside this weekend, the weather is supposed to be very nice.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Curleyjax: I’m glad there might be a solution to the pain. I actually ordered the car from the fleet dealer . DH uses him for farm trucks. Nothing like a pro walking you through something.

Penny: That is a bummer about yr daughtert. I hope she is ok. It is worrisome. My weight drifted down a bit today As well. One day OP makes a big difference.

JUST FOR TODAY I am going to not have flour. I have bean soup and brown rice, the sweetest fruit in the world, nuts and Greek yoghurt. That sounds like plenty.

My goal is to get unstuck on the scale. I understand my body is programmed to maintain weight. But there is a solution .
Old 09-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #141  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my food plan yesterday -- CREDIT!

I was helped by a lovely distraction. The movie Enola Holmes, about the younger sister of Sherlock, was released on Netflix yesterday and I was completely charmed from the beginning shot where she rides a bicycle in Victorian dress, including bloomers. I have a long-time fascination with 19th century women cyclists. As much as I value my right to vote, my every day life is more impacted by changed societal conventions in clothing designed for women to move.

Exercise +45, 1255/1400 minutes for September

Penny: I did a face plant over the handlebars of my bike once. DH took me to the emergency room because I lost consciousness for a few seconds. They gave me a tetanus shot and a few stitches, that probably weren't entirely necessary, but it meant I didn't have to fuss with butterfly bandages to hold it together. I can still feel the little scar on my chin. I suggest getting her back on the bike as quickly as possible because that was the beginning of the end of my biking days and, watching Enola Holmes, I kind of wish it weren't.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #142  

Good morning coaches,

I thought food was on plan yesterday until I really looked at the plan and saw that I didn't have any little potatoes with dinner which was supposed to be just a veggie burger on a sandwich thin and spinach salad. I am maintaining but not losing. Obviously my portions continue to be too generous. Today I don't feel hungry and I've been awake since before 4 a.m. I hiked a shorter but strenuous hike and then walked Otis. I am on my second cup of black coffee and will wait to eat breakfast when I feel hungry.

GardenerJoy I love the costumes in movies too, although not just the ones specific to bicycling.
Maryann I would like to get unstuck on the scale with you.
Curlyjax I hope the medication works for you. Yes, we didn't need a water softener in Washington, but apparently there are a lot of minerals in the water here. We have a separate filter for the water we drink, but even the water in the shower leaves spots and feels funny.
Bill I'm glad dgd enjoyed the book so much. I love animal crackers. I used the love the cookies my grandma used to buy even more, the ones with pink and white frosting on them with sprinkles. Nothing but sugar.
Penny I hope dd's chin is better. Let us know.

Waving to those who haven't posted but may be reading this!
Old 09-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #143  

Hey everyone,

Yesterday and today have been on plan and my weight is at the low end of the yucky decade. It sure would be nice to get to goal and then bounce between great and good instead of good and not good.

The thee day work weekend starts tomorrow.

Oh, and I did not take my daughter in for stitches. The steri-strips hardened into place and the bleeding was gone so I'm leaving it as is.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 268/268/160

Height: 5'8'

Default Still here

Haven't gotten to spend much time on my computer, my son is been able to work from home but has to use my room as his office because he has a baby that needs access to his room during the day. I have not had a break from work because I work in a residential facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities. We have had our share of covid there. Lost 2 residents to it. I have been extremely blessed that I have not gotten it or if I did I had no symptoms. We are now testing every other week. (staff only - unless one of the houses with the residents has a case. I also lost 3 family members within 3 weeks to Covid. My cousin and her parents. Their son had it bad as well but he is slowly coming off the oxygen at home. My sister, niece and Mother (who all live in a house together) got it as well (my sister is a nurse in a nursing home) they all had symptoms, but nothing so bad that they needed to go to the hospital.
I have been sticking with my eating plan and going through the book. When I get back from my trip this week-end I have some people at work who are interested in doing Zoom support meeting with the book. I am so excited to start that.
My boyfriend has been yearning to go the the JFK museum in Dallas, and they finally opened back up. So we are going to rent a car and drive 12 hours each way to go see that and some other sites in Dallas. I am trying to figure out how I am going to stick with my plan while on the road and eating out every meal. I believe in my abilities to stick with it.
I'll let you know how it goes when we get back.
My reading for the day was slowing down my eating. That is a tough one for me. I am a fast eater and often a mindless eater. btw down 7 lbs so far!
Take care all
Old 09-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #145  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Author William Faulkner born (1897, New Albany, Miss)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The best part in my class on The Brain was tracing back to the first cell with sensory capabilities on one end and contractile capabilities on the other - in its pre-neuron state. First time for me to get the notion of the developmental history of a neuron. Hard to get past the joy of using my neurons to study the developmental history of my neurons. Seems convoluted.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Evening snack of a Gala Apple resumed. Ate dinner at my computer watching a Zoom'ed lecture about the history of burial rights. We've been doing this for over 120 thousand years - but not for 200 thousand. Somewhere along the line it developed. Took us a while to become human.

Excitement was a trip to Target brick-and-mortar store to buy the Uno card game for DW to play with the DGD. A friend is playing it with her DGS quite successfully. We played that as kids. I also tried to buy a flannel shirt in the smaller size that I've reduced to. Failed. They just didn't feel good to me. Came home to fondle my current favorite flannel shirt from LL Bean. It weighs about twice as much and the collar is bigger. Might have to just order one from LL Bean - at about twice the price. I'm trying to come to grips with the notion that I don't need many clothes for my current lifestyle but do well with a few that I really like. For the moment I'll make do with a couple that I closet-shopped from long ago. I think they look tired and should be replaced. DW thought the one I tried on looked "sharp." I continue to wish to make it to heaven whose key feature is that I don't have to shop for clothes. Harps and prie-dieus aren't so appealing, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your movie, Enola Holmes, does look interesting. Thanks for the reminder that society has only recently allowed women to wear clothes of their choice. Gardening in a dress and bloomers would have been a bummer.

maryann - Love when you mention "the sweetest fruit in the world" - you do have that out your way.

Karen (karenrn) - Getting portions right is a challenge. I do admire that you can do so much before eating breakfast.

curlyjax - Would be nice if your issue was as resolvable as stomach acid. Kudos for doing your exercise even when tired.

Penny. - Yay for steri-strips doing their job. Happy work weekend.

serendipitous - Meals on the road are a challenge; Kudos for planning in advance to face that. Hope the JFK Museum meets your expectations.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

A University of North Carolina study of 192 dieters determined that dieters who regularly e-mailed a weight-loss counselor lost twice as much weight during a three-month period as dieters who had no e-mail support.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 35.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I successfully fought emotionally eating sugar at work. On thursdays I am near a great chocolate shop, but I told myself I could have it any other time, it will still be there (hopefully!) and I didn't go there or anywhere else. The boredom and sameness of conversations at work is getting to me, but I talked my self thru it, reminding myself I'm lucky I have a job, health insurance, etc. Yay for using that resistance muscle. It's going to be a looong year- I'm assuming life will be better next summer- and I constantly need to tell myself to focus on my health during this time, and I will be so glad I did.
I did set up a walk with a friend right after work so that's a good way to start the weekend.
In other news- apparently they are using dogs to sniff out the virus in Finland. What an awesome idea!!
Penny- glad DD is doing better. Good luck on your work weekend.
Gardenerjoy-that movie does look interesting, and yes, being able to wear pants or shorts- and no corsets- is so freeing!
Serendipitous: so sorry about all those losses, goodness. Good luck on that long road trip.
Bill- I'm not that impressed with Target clothes either.Very interesting subject of burial rights.
Maryann-those foods sound healthy and very satisfying.
Karen- I find portion control very challenging too. Yay for not feeling hungry in the am anyhow.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

successfully avoided red light foods and exercised on treadmill. Yeah!

DH bought me flowers for the second time in 21 years. Proof of his emotional hurricane since DS went to college. He said he was grateful I put up with him. I told I was lucky to have him.

The good thing about a work week is the feeling Friday brings.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #148  
Green Tomatoes

Today's adventure is the bank and two grocery stores. There's an international market across from the bank where I get a few items. I stocked up in March and haven't been back since, but now it's time. The bank can be done drive-through, unless I decide it's time to drop DH's documents from when he got his license back into the safe deposit box. At least, that would be a quick trip in and out.

Exercise +45, 1300/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #149  

Good morning coaches,

I hiked Bell Pass this morning for the first time in probably two months after hiking Sunrise yesterday (which let me know I could do it). I didn't eat before but I did take a bar which I ate some of before I got to the top. I was almost thinking of turning around, but decided if I had a few bites of the bar I could get there. Of course I'm glad I did. Food was on plan yesterday and I will continue to reducing the size of portions as I also increase exercise.

Maryann My husband is about the same with flowers. I'm sure with ds gone you are appreciated even more than ever. I know dh sometimes drives me nuts, but I don't know what I'd do without him. I would imagine he feels the same.
Curlyjax I'm thinking along similar lines. This may not be a very exciting year, but at least I can work on my weight loss, health and fitness. Of course there are other things I can work on too and I'll be figuring out which of those are most important.
Bill Your class on the brain sounds so interesting. My take on heaven is that it will be really sweet if I can eat what I want and not need to worry about health or calories. I'd be eating many things with brown sugar in them.
Serendipitous Wow I am so sorry about how much loss you have had due to Covid. Congratulations on your weight loss, that is great.
Penny How has work been lately? Have you been super busy or not too bad? Glad dd's steri-strips are in place and hopefully her chin is healing well.

Well dh is home for lunch. We just had the gasket replaced on the fridge so I need to stop him from opening the door on the right hand side. Take care and Happy Friday!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #150  

Good afternoon!

Yesterday finished on plan, as reported, and today is going to be on plan if I don't eat anymore. Weight is holding.

Serendipity, that is a lot of covid loss! I am so sorry. it kicks me in the pants to keep vigilant about social diatancing. I got a little relaxed about dinners out with people.

Karen, good job on the hikes. I loved my long hike so much, I'm hoping to go again next week if the rain takes a break. Work has been fine and the PPE is so much more tolerable in the cooler weather.

Bill, the 5yo dgd sounds like a smart little cookie.

Curly, kudos for avoiding the chocolate shop!

Maryann, that was nice of your dh to get you flowers.

Joy, that bike crash sounds horrible! I'm hoping my daughter will get back on, time will tell.
Closed Thread