Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 07:00 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did not get to the fall clothes switchout or my walk, i started feeling nauseous/dizzy, so I just sat in my car and read, at the nearby state park. And took a little nap. Maybe I will make going there on sundays my new ritual. I was craving sweets and gave in with a microwave brownie. But I feel much less bloated today so am happy about that.
I talked with a few family members and then a friend who is excited/terrified about talking with a potential date on the phone, which was very fun. And had a nice time with DD so it was a good weekend all in all.
It is only 30 this morning, brr!! I broke down and put the heat on.
Bill- that birthday sounds just lovely, can't believe DGD is 5! Cupcakes are indeed a smart idea. Wow, I remember those viewmasters, great to know they are still in existence.
Serendipitous: Welcome. Make the cards like "no choice", they are a big help.
Maryann-yay for finishing the yardwork, it always feels great to finish something like that.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #122  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I delivered almost all the rest of the voter registration packets I was assigned. That didn't improve my variety of exercise, but it gave me a lot of minutes of walking and it wasn't the same walk that I do every day. I have four left. They're close to my house, but don't have good places to park, so I'll just walk from home -- another new route. It's not an area that I usually walk since there's no good place to do that, either.

Exercise +85, 1075/1400 minutes for September

Welcome, serendipitous!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 268/268/160

Height: 5'8'

Default How I found this forum

How did you discover our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?[/QUOTE]

From the success story there was a book review and I think it was through there.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am on day 2 and thinking about my 2 diet options. I did really well with Keto but then my town was decimated by Hurricane Michael and I have had 2 years of trying and retrying to get back on that plan. In the meantime I gained 60 of the 100 lbs I had lost back. I think I am going to use Keto as my backup plan for now because I have found I can't stick to it for more than a week. The first time I did it I was able to stick with it for more than a year. I want to get back there but I know I have too many mental road blocks for now. Right now I am just trying to do small meals through out the day and work on getting my mental game down.
I am very excited to have a group to share with.

Last edited by serendipitous; 09-21-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #124  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with a three hour hike. Weight is holding.

Welcome Serendipitous!

Bill, happy birthday to DGD!

Old 09-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #125  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Three days of eating on plan and three days of exercise in a row so that feels good. I actually feel great today and it's my 67th birthday. The number is hard to say out loud, but I probably feel better than many 50 year olds so I won't complain. This morning I hiked the Gateway Loop by myself and enjoyed it. I would have done the longer more strenuous Bell Pass, but it's still feeling pretty warm. I came home and walked Otis and just about had a heart attack. We started down the street and all was well until he saw a garbage truck on the street a bit in front of us. He stopped in his tracks as usual. I carried him for a couple of houses and then set him down as we rounded the corner (not on the garbage truck street). He escaped his harness (obviously too loose) and ran like a bat out of **** towards home. Boy is he fast. I couldn't even begin to keep up. I yelled to some neighbor ladies to try to stop him and he was so frightened that he ran into the ladies garage. Thank goodness. Well that was the end of that walk, but the harness is tightened up for the next one. Only one car came down the street as he was running and I was partway out in the street with arms extended protecting the whole side of the street. I'm sure they thought I was nuts. This afternoon I'm going to the movies with a friend. It's a very nice theater and tickets are purchased per seat with distancing. Everyone must wear a mask. I just hope they don't serve any food or drink to give people an excuse to take their mask off. We'll see how it goes. If people keep their masks on I will feel safe. If they don't, I won't be going back anytime soon.

Penny I'm glad to see your air is clear again and you could go on a three hour hike.
Serendipitous Welcome!
GardenerJoy Sounds like a varied walk with the distribution of voter registration packets would be a pleasant change to the exercise line-up.
Curlyjax I'm glad you're feeling less bloated and that you had a good weekend with dd.
Bill What date is dgd's birthday? Is it the same as mine? I think I would have remembered that.
Maryann Is your commute to the school very long? I would think it would be a nice change to get out of the house and to have internet without problems.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Autumnal Equinox

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the library to pick up Isadora Moon Goes to the Ballet by Harriet Muncaster. I fell in love with the book. DW tactfully suggests that our DGD might not think a girl with a vampire for a father and a fairy for a mom is as cool as I do. Am hoping the ballet link will grab her. I have to accept that British humour doesn't always grab Americans - even 5 year-old ones.

My class on the Solar System covered the long journey in time figuring out just who circled whom. Earth centered; Sun centered; combination. And the extraordinary experiment to determine that the earth was about 39,375 km in circumference - just shy of the actual 40,076 km. The great trick Eratosthenes used in 194 BCE is that the sun reached the bottom of a deep well on June 21st at Noon in Syene (modern Aswān) because it lies at 23.5 degrees N Latitude - the same angle as the tilt of the earth. North in Alexandria, the sun made an angle of 7.2 degrees with a vertical stick. Simple arithmetic from there. So humbling to be reminded that it wasn't so long ago that we were still trying to convince ourselves that the earth was round.

Eating was on plan with no snacks, CREDIT moi. Due to a counting problem, I had no apple for evening snack. My job is to count the apples in the fridge; subtract from 8; buy that number at the supermarket. Apparently, last week I failed at the subtraction step.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks you, again, for working voter registration. It's powerful to me to be reminded how much I value democracy.

Karen (karenrn) - Happy 67th birthday - same day as my DGD's. Torn between feeling sorry for Otis and LMAO. Poor thing. Good to hear that he can still run so fast. One of the prejudices of age is that if you heroically rescued someone out on the trail, instead of the headline "Agile Hiker Saves Man," the newspapers would write "Grandmother was able to Save Man." If not, "Elderly Grandmother ..." You dissolve into their stereotype.

curlyjax - Super that you had a good time with your DD before she had to head back to college. Glad that you're feeling a bit better.

Penny. - Three hours is one good long hike.

serendipitous - Kudos for recognizing the key Beck strategy, "getting my mental game down" - she should copy your phrase in her next book. Neat that you already know that Keto can be your backup diet plan. Shudder at the memory of how much damage Hurricane Michael did two years ago.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

Successful dieters have a trusted friend, family member, or fellow dieter to help them with the challenges of dieting. If you are like many dieters, you are probably thinking, No way am I telling anyone I'm on a diet. I understand your concern. So many of the dieters I have counseled were initially so ashamed of their weight that they thought, What if I fail again? I don't want anyone to know.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 35.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #127  

I was craving sugar at work yesterday; got into the gum and mints, and drove by a fabulous muffin place on the way home, but fortunately it was closed. I was so tired I didn't want to stop anywhere else so went home and took a brief nap. Maybe I was craving sweets because I was tired, but felt better after. I did my weights and about 15 minutes on the treadmill. I made pesto which was bitter, and discovered via google that if you use the basil after it has flowered, it will be bitter. Good to know.
DS made the spaghetti and salad which was awesome, I like eating salad but not making it, and this way we get it twice a week for dinner when he makes his frozen chicken thing.
I haven't got him to do the dishes yet but the cooking is a big help.
Then I watched Britney runs a marathon for the millionth time as I rolled coins. How exciting my life is I'm trying to do something productive after work most days, we'll see how that goes.
Penny- yay for a 3 hour hike and weather that is good enough to do so.
Serendipitous-I could see how a hurricane could derail things for sure!
-Gardenerjoy- nice to have some new routes to walk.
Karen- happy birthday! I'm sure you are in much better shape than many 50 year olds indeed! That Otis is too funny, glad he was okay.
Bill-I bet DGD will think the book is awesome, who wouldn't enjoy magic parents. The Count on Sesame Street was a vampire but I don't think little kids knew what that meant, so it wasn't scary.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Karen: I am only five minutes from work, so it makes total sense to go to school. I have had a few good days there so I think it was a good decision.
Serendipitous: I know the insanity of trying to get back to a food plan that was once successful. I can follow it into the gates of ****. That is why I like Beck. It is about the behavior. I think you are inspiring me to go back through the book. I will ask your forgiveness now for misspelling or abbreviating your name. That has always been a tough one for me.

I had a good day at school yesterday. I was able to work hard and plan up through a week and a half which really felt good. I also had a certain level of acceptance with the circumstances and yet remained enthusiastic with the kids. I tried a virtual four corners game. Usually I label the four corners in my room. Then a blindfolded counter reaches ten and calls out either 1,2,3, or 4. If a kid is in that corner he is out. It is an elimination game. I did it with kids holding up 1,2,3, or 4 fingers to the screen. It worked. (I had to remind them to be careful of the fingers they were using. ) Credit for healthy food of nice portion sizes and going directly to the gym after school.

Louis Penny's new book came out so I have my evenings set for a few days.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #129  
Green Tomatoes

I survived my walk on a narrow windy road without incident. It's a pretty road that I get to drive on often, but not well-designed to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians.

Today's adventure is a visit to the Missouri Botanical Garden. I have the required reservation and will wear the required mask and follow the instructions that have all the paths going one way. It will be a short trip because I don't want to eat there or, even, use the restroom. But I'll enjoy seeing dahlias, mums, and the first turning leaves. That seemed the perfect thing to do on the autumnal equinox.

Exercise +70, 1140/1400 minutes for September

karenrn: Happy Birthday!

BillBlueEyes: Isadora Moon looks fun -- I requested all the ones that my library has. Which means, I learned a couple of weeks ago, that I'll be offered a "child's activity kit" when I pick them up. That only happens when I happen to have a kid's book in my selection. The library is producing new activity kits every week for families looking for more ways to keep their children busy and engaged.
I'm enjoying the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. At my library, the first book title is Midnight Riot, but the British publisher called it Rivers of London. They're police procedural novels but with river gods & goddesses, ghosts, and other supernatural creatures.

curlyjax: When I grew basil, I pinched the buds off so that it wouldn't flower and I could make pesto longer. I used to make a big batch in early August, cutting back about 2/3 of the plant. Then, another big batch when the first frost was predicted (usually October).
Old 09-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #130  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Happy birthday, Karen!

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down a notch. Still bloated in the yucky decade.

I'm off to take my daughter on the bike ride she requested.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #131  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was mostly on plan yesterday but I did have an additional cocktail before dinner. Weight is the same, but I feel good about eating what is not on my plan and not making a sweet treat. The movie yesterday was great. My friend and I were the only two in the theater. It's a very nice theater with leather recliner type seats. They had two seats open and the next two not available. Then in the row in from of us it would be opposite seats available, so quite a lot of distance in between. Since it was only the two of us in the theater I don't know if people would have had their masks off for popcorn. We did leave our masks on since that is the rule. The movie, The Broken Heart Gallery, was a romantic comedy and I enjoyed it but I'm easily entertained.
I got lots of cards, phone calls and even some flowers yesterday, so it was a very nice day.

Penny Enjoy the bike ride.
GardenerJoy The botanical garden sounds really nice. I especially love dahlias because my grandmother used to grow them. I did too, but I remember hers because some of them were so big.
Maryann Yes, it sounds like your decision to teach from your classroom was a very good decision. Do you see a few other teachers there also?
Curlyjax Your life sounds at least as exciting as most everyone else I know right now.
Bill Gee, Bill, I have plenty of apples. I bought a new variety at Costco recently and it's really good. I'll have to see if they have a label so I know the name. I had to look up LMAO . . . yes, I think I would have laughed too if I only knew he wouldn't get his by a car.

In my many phone calls yesterday I realized how much happier some seem to be than others in this COVID situation. I wish I had a hobby I really enjoyed that I did at home, like sewing, genealogy or whatever. Nothing really interests me enough to spend hours on end doing it. Luckily it will soon be cool enough to spend more time on the trails. I did put my name in with the county to help in any way with elections. I'll see if I hear back. I hope so. Okay that's it for now. Have a good day and waving to the rest of you.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:47 AM   #132  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - lst Roman emperor Caesar Augustus born (63 BCE, Rome)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Successful trip to the supermarket. I'm so old that a trip to the supermarket was just a chore - not a conquest to be overcome. Everyone was in masks; the lettuce was fresh; milk was dated comfortably into the future; I remembered applesauce. In the small, life is working.

Walk, CREDIT moi, discovered more houses up close that I've driven by for years without noticing. One mother out riding bicycles with a ten-year-old. An older Tesla that I'd not seen before. An underground garage next to a set of yellow-brick apartments.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. A Gala Apple for evening snack because I had remembered to buy 8. Dinner of grilled salmon eaten at the kitchen table because it's chilly outside. DW made a variation of the Kale salad that we both like that didn't use the Mandarin Oranges from a can. If she adds a special dressing but don't add the oranges, then she can make smaller batches since one small can goes with a LARGE size salad. It was still good.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a visit to your much loved Missouri Botanical Garden. Neat that you're going to get the Isadora Moon books. Think your DGN might like them?

maryann - Yay for acceptance with enthusiasm. Pretty good for the circumstances.

Karen (karenrn) - Having a private movie theatre is just the best. Don't think that The Broken Heart Gallery is for me - but an interesting premise. Interesting that different ones of us are facing the current situation with different levels of happiness.

curlyjax - Ouch for bitter pesto - never encountered that. Bravo to your DS for making dinner. Thanks for the reminder that the Count on Sesame Street was a vampire; I'd forgotten that.

Penny. - Love that your DD keeps asking for bike rides. Maybe an athlete in the making.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

The irony is that by not lining up support, you are making dieting even harder.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 35.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #133  

Food not so good yesterday, onwards. I was feeling mildly nauseous again so bought some aspirin and chocolate-sugar does help nausea for me. And had too much cereal last night, i'm using it as a dessert which is a bad idea. Talked to my dad about possibly visiting in a few weeks as I haven't seen him in a year, and to pick up his car as he's getting rid of it. I guess I would have to drive a rental down there, which complicates things but is doable-note to self, make sure you reserve car well in advance. The car is newer than the one DS is using so I would like to get it for him. It's a five hour drive, ugh but my dad is getting older -he's 89!_and who knows how many more opportunities I will have to see him.
Maryann- yay for creativity. I love Louise Penny.
Gardenerjoy- thanks for the tip about Basil, so much to learn about gardening!
Penny- yay for bike ride and the weather decent enough for it.
Karen- the movie experience sounds very nice, and the movie looks cute. I don't really have any indoor hobbies either, i'm realizing.
Bill-so fun to appreciate new things on your walk.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Ordered my new car from Ford this morning at 5:30 am. We order from the fleet dealer. Atlas blue Edge. I feel very lucky to have the luxury of a new car. My old one was 8 years old and I loved it.

Food was spontaneous in the afternoon which was never good. Cereal along with bread is now in the red light list. Six formal months without dessert now and I feel good about it.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

I was too early for mums. They were just beginning to set up the display in the Japanese Garden. I was either too late for dahlias, or the ones I remembered previously were part of annual displays. There was a little fall color, especially in the dogwoods. Mostly I just enjoyed walking around a place I love and haven't seen in many months. Plus, the weather feels like autumn!

I have a written plan for today because my eating has become too loosey-goosey to get the results that I want.

Exercise +80, 1210/1400 minutes for September
Closed Thread