Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 146 / 137 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Yesterday was an interminable day. Woke up at 6AM, went to work, continued for the night shift, and worked non-stop until 5:40AM when I was finally able to sleep for almost 2h before the end of the shift at 8AM. At least I had brought lunch *and* dinner to work, so eating was on plan.

This morning when I got home I was dead to the world until lunch time. After, as planned, I did the self-assessment for the bodyweight workout plan I chose, to see where I should start in the progressions. Could not make time for the pink book today, so this is a quick post to make sure I keep on track - I have already scheduled time for reading day 10 tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #92  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Short

Coaches

credit for:
on plan day today
drinking all my water
doing my 1st workout from that website (very gentle, still broke a sweat)
arranging emailing following up and tracking many thi gs for the potter's guild sale
weight 276

Must sleep
Old 09-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #93  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - US Constitution signed by delegates at the Philadelphia Convention (1787)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. We took her to a new wildlife area; she watched two Canada Geese from close up for a long time. Noted every action: what they ate; how they moved; how they approached each other. A true nature observer. Was really excited to see two Great Blue Herons. They were about as big as her. Three different nursery-school groups were walking by - each tightly holding onto a loop in the rope held be a teacher at each end. And each kid in its group's brightly visible vest with the school's name and phone number. Teachers taking no chances.

Found a new playground with a tubular iron climbing structure resembling a whale. Called the whale. However, the tail fin was vertical like a shark, not horizontal like a whale. Seems unnecessary to feed wrong info about nature to kids just because they're little.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the only daytime snack being the DGD's uneaten apple on the drive home - a panned snack. It feeds my "I deserve this" feeling at that time of the day. Dinner was the leftover pizza. The same two slices were more filling this time. It could be that the reheating melts more cheese producing more visible flowing grease. It felt greaser to be sure.

onebyone - Congrats for starting your new exercise plan and for staying on top of your guild sale.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good luck at clearing brain space. I long for the day when I don't go frequently to the news to see what awful thing has happened. Thanks for the link for describing books in a way that would allow a librarian to make choices; think I'll use that for the one library that might be doing that around here.

maryann - Ouch for having to exercise at the gym to avoid the smoky air. Glad that your kitchen didn't have the food that you were prowling for.

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like a strenuous hike with the heat and direct sun. Poor Otis needing to get relaxed to accept the groomer.

Penny. - Waving again. Hope you are surviving up there.

VertOlive - Super Kudos for making a job decision instead of holding out for some possibly attainable optimum choice. And Kudos for surviving your life tsunami - that's a lot in one gulp. Wish your DH well with his illness and wish you well in your COVID recovery. And, irrelevantly, Congrats to your puppy Percy for gaining weight; I never get to type that on this forum, LOL.

tokidoki - That was one long day for not being at war or fighting a hurricane. Neat to be approaching your exercise plan with awareness.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 3 Make Time for Dieting

If your life is relatively calm and you are already good at following a schedule, it may not be difficult to set aside the time you need for yourself. If your schedule is already very full, however, you will have to decide which tasks and activities you will postpone, delegate, cut back on, or do less well - at least for the time being.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 34.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Tuesday night I had another bloated episode which was painful but not as bad as the two others, but I still felt tired yesterday and decided to take a sick day. I spent the day switching back and forth between googling ovarian cancer symptoms and sobbing, and youtube videos on packing light for travel and travel shoes. I feel better today but do have an appt with my gyn in a few weeks for a regular check up. I figure that will give me a few more weeks of tracking what my body is doing anyhow.There's a lot of info about menopause but not so much about perimenopause, which could well be causing the bloating. I know I do not have the brca gene fortunately, but could i find that paperwork on it? of course not.
Anyhow- I'm so grateful to have a job where I can have a sick day, and be able to lie in bed and worry all day And have excellent healthcare hospitals, and an ability to advocate for myself. Onwards with the day.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #95  
Green Tomatoes

I always forget that when I quit consuming easy media, I have a more exhausting day. I end up doing things that require a little more energy, like reading, or a lot more energy, like creating. Today, I'll try to incorporate more relaxing moments for breathing.

Today's adventure is a trip to Whole Foods. The list is enough to mean that I won't have to go back for a month, but that would mean I'm able to get everything on it, which has been an issue the last couple of times.

Exercise +45, 880/1400 minutes for September

VertOlive: Glad you're back! That was a lot to deal with at one time.

curlyjax: Glad you're feeling better. I hope you figure out a solution for the bloating episodes -- a check with a doctor seems like a good next step. The more information you can give her from tracking, the better she'll be able to help.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Thinking of everyone as they navigate trials large and small.

credit for the first workout in weeks. Credit for OP until 6:00. Today’s focus will be making it all the way to bed OP.

Woke up late since I finished grades late last night. Just didn’t have 5:00 am in me.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #97  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning! I'm checking in even though I have to force myself to stay the course.

I have continued to be stuck inside due to the smoke and have been doing what I seem to do when depressed: read nonstop. I've read Free Food for millionaires, Jane Eyer, Ask a Queer Chick, and have started a Charlotte Bront๋ book that has been waiting on my bookshelves for years: Villette.

Weight is holding in the no no decade.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #98  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Just a quick check in today. I did have a few off plan chips yesterday but rationalized that I had worked them off. I got up and hiked the Gateway Loop this morning as soon as the gate opened. It was about 80, but I wasn't in the sun which makes such a difference. Otis only got a short walk because there was a garbage truck at the park . . . oh well, some days are better than others. I've made my food plan for the day and I'll so some housework shortly that I didn't do yesterday. Poor dh is really distressed, angry, hurt about his family situation. I know time will help. I'm glad his brother doesn't live any close or I fear there could be physical violence (kind of kidding). Anyway, I'm a good listener and I think that's important.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 146 / 137 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Again, only time for a short post today, I must go to sleep early. It takes me ages to write in English when I'm tired...
Completed pink book day 10 - "Set Achievable Goals" - as planned. Set two mini-goals for now: 146 >> 140 >> 135.

billblueeyes fortunately neither at war nor fighting natural disasters of any kind
Old 09-18-2020, 12:05 AM   #100  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default The highlights

Coaches

OP 100%
Did day 2 workout cardio boxing ( I dont know who this exercise guy is but he totally lost it during one part of the boxing video. He sped up the jabs and the hooks and the uppercuts until he couldn't actually say the words and his arms were flailing like a kid in a cartoon!)
made progress on new version of cat urn
Made progress on my group of 13 halloween themed mugs to go on sale online
Weight down a bit to 275.7. Finally broke 276 again.

Night!

Old 09-18-2020, 05:37 AM   #101  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - New Hampshire becomes a county in Massachusetts Bay Colony (1679)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - First class this fall about the brain. Each time I go through this I discover more that I don't know. Complicated organ it is. Newest for me is to discover that the ventricles (spaces) that hold cerebral-spinal fluid increase in size as we age. That compensates for the gray matter that we're losing. So my brain is filling with fluid to replace my memory. Not much of a compensation; would rather have the agile mind of a twenty-year-old. Reminds me; my DW played the card game Memory with the (4.5 yo) DGD where one tries to remember where cards are to make a matching pair. DW lost every single time. Bigly, LOL.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. We continue to eat dinner inside; DW doesn't want to wear a coat to eat on the patio. She noted at 7 pm that it was already dark outside. The changes of the seasons thrill me every year as if I'd never seen it before.

Excitement was a trip to the library to return a book and to pick up one that was being held. Normally that would just be an errand, but it was an adventure during these times. Alas, I chose the only day of the week that the library was closed. Apparently, I'd never tried to go to that branch on a Thursday before; I know the closed days for the other branches. Now I have an adventure for today. Small is my current world.

We did watch a one hour Zoom presentation of the new dinosaur exhibit in the National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. - coming back to the public after several years closed for renovation. But, remains closed due to COVID-19. I'm all primed to drive to Washington to see it. Love my dinosaurs - even the old dinosaur exhibit.

onebyone - LOL at your exercise guy losing it during his workout. Congrats on breaking a mini-barrier on your scale reading.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good reminder that fixating on Facebook is "easy media" that's takes less energy than living life.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder that online teaching still requires huge amounts of grading students' work.

Karen (karenrn) - Sending supportive thoughts to your DH who has to deal with the reality of his family situation for which, I gather, there will be no easy unraveling. Always laugh at Otis avoiding garbage trucks.

curlyjax - Hope you get to feeling better. Feeling sick is such an easy time to feel sad, also.

Penny. - Glad you're surviving - even if it's inside. Reading is such a good way to spend life's hours.

tokidoki - Kudos for marching forward reading Beck's Pink Book "as planned." Neat to select mini-goals.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 3 Make Time for Dieting

I tell the dieters I counsel that it's impossible to add more water to an already full glass. If your glass is full, you have to spill some out before you can pour more in. You'll have to actively work to find the time you will need.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 34.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Wow, its definitely fall. I'm with you Bill, I'm in awe of the changing seasons. The nice thing about my commute is that I can see a lot of trees beautiful leaves as they change. This weekend I have to find my cold weather stuff and do the changeout so I can find enough to wear.
Feeling better but still monitoring my body like crazy. I'm watching travel shows to keep my mind on the future. It's amazing how many young women are trekking around the world solo (I mean in the past, not right now) and its great to see how excited they are to promote it for other women.
Thinking of you folks in difficult situations and wave to all.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #103  
Green Tomatoes

The Whole Foods trip went reasonably well. There's a surplus of boneless, skinless chicken breast -- unfortunately, that's not the cut we like. But I was able to find enough thighs to get us through a couple of weeks. Still no tempeh, but they had the flavor of hempeh that worked in my recipe, so I bought enough of that to get through two weeks, too.

Our annual potluck and book selection meeting for our book club was last night. We skipped the potluck but managed to successfully propose 40+ books and choose 9 of them to read in the next year. We ran out of time before we assigned discussion facilitators and dates. I woke up early fretting about that, so I sent emails out before 5:30am to people I thought would lead discussions for particular books. I'm hoping that they'll see that I sent them so early and feel sorry for me and get back to me quickly!

DH has an adventure today. He used to meet a friend for lunch every Friday. Now, they haven't seen each other in six months! Today, they're going to meet at a park for a socially-distanced picnic.

Exercise +35, 915/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #104  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I had an off plan sweet treat yesterday and weight is up a bit. I can't seem to string enough days in a row together to stay on a weight loss plan. I weight exactly the same today as I did a week ago, but that is not a weight I want. Today my thought is I need to make a very realistic plan, even if it doesn't contribute to weight loss, so that I can practice eating what is on the plan. We'll see how that goes. Exercise today was just walking Otis and I plan to do some more housework and clean off the patio. It soon will be cool enough that we'll be spending more time out there. I'm actually going to head to REI this morning to buy some new hiking shorts in one size larger. I have many pair, but they are a little too snug and it is horrible hiking in shorts that are too snug and also horrible in hiking in the stretchy things I wear at the gym, but not on the hiking trail. I'm just going to buy one pair.

GardenerJoy I hope your husband enjoys his visit. I think there are definitely things that we can do and be safe. They do take more thought to be sure, but I know it helps my mental health to see people in person even if we are outdoors and distanced.
Curlyjax I am also amazed by the young women who do so many things solo. I'm always impressed with those out backpacking alone.
Bill Yes the brain is certainly amazing. One of the things I think is amazing is how much energy (calories) it uses to think. No wonder we get tired learning new things.
Onebyone Your cardio boxing sounds both fun and funny.
Tokidoki I don't know where you live in Portugal, but my cousin Dan Collins and his wife Beatrice live near Sintra. He is from the San Francisco Bay area and they have lived in Hawaii and San Diego before moving to Portugal five years ago or so to be near Beatrice's family. I know it's ridiculous to mention this, but it is such a small world that I thought I would.

Well, I just went out and shopped and had forgotten that I didn't send this . . . oh well, here it is now.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #105  
Hotspur!

S/C/G: 140/140/120

Height: 5’0"

Still hanging in. I'm trying a diet to help pre-diabetics but finding that the food is so satisfying that I'm eating far too few calories! Not sure what to do about this yet. I'm on track for calories but have only eaten 600 of them as of 8:30 pm....

I did figure out which of our scales was inaccurate and now will trust at least one of them. STILL struggling with the password issue!

Running around too much today led me to not check my Beck notebook and to not do my little exercise routine. I'm announcing that here for accountability that I will get back in the groove as of NOW.

All the best to everyone, thanks for being here.
Closed Thread