Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today, I'm reminding myself that lack of energy is due to high pollen counts of ragweed and not any of the catastrophic fears that my brain likes to throw up as possibilities (depression? cancer? an indication that I'm lazy and worthless?) I'm also reminding myself that food doesn't solve any of those problems, real or fake. And, I've made a plan for the day that accommodates my current energy level with activities that are satisfying and work toward my goals.

Exercise +40, 585/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #62  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I got home yesterday about noon after an uneventful flight that was less than 2 1/2 hours. It was getting smoky where I was and it is much less smoky here. It kind of looks like high clouds that apparently have come from southern California, doesn't smell smoky and it has kept the temp down to 86 so far today. I got on the scale this morning and it wasn't good. The scale at my brothers house obviously is lower than mine. So I got up this morning and hiked the Gateway Loop, walked Otis, and made a food plan. I'm glad to be home and back in the driver's seat of what food is available. I always feel a little more hungry after I've been eating too much, but I do remember that hunger isn't an emergency and I'll live.

GardenerJoy I don't feel very energetic either, so I'm just doing the basics and hope I will perk up soon.
Maryann I'm glad you had a good teaching day. My thoughts are with you with the fire conditions.
Curlyjax I'm sure I've said this before, but my husband swears by soaking his foot in a bucket of ice water when his plantar fasciitis acts up. He also never goes barefoot and doesn't wear flip flops. He wears Birkenstocks at home. His brother and a few other friends have tried it and it works for them too.
Bill Won't it be nice when we can check out what is drawing a crowd of people again.
Penny I'm sure it's quite smoky where you are and I hope you are doing okay.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 146 / 137 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Good evening coaches,

Yesterday no time for reading or exercise (it was either exercising or walking the dog - and the dog has priority).

Today I arrived early at work, and used that free time to read the the pink book. Ironically it was day 8 - create time and energy. I already use time blocking most days, but I filled in the priority chart and put a daily reminder to look at it while I'm scheduling the following day.

curlyjax is sugarfree gum an acceptable substitution? A few years ago I went to the US, and I remember being fascinated by all the chewing gum flavors. My favorite was the Trident Pineapple (sugar-free!), which to my disappointment was never sold here.
maryann, which grades do you teach? Have schools reopened over there, or is everything still online? Unfortunately I don't have much advice, but I'm curious.
gardenerjoy I had no idea what ragweed was, apparently we don't have it here. Still, I'd say +40 minutes of exercise with low energy levels is very positive.

The US west coast wildfires were also on the news here. I hope all of you who live there are doing okay.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Four teens discover 17,000 year old Lascaux Cave Paintings (1940, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at a Staples store where I'd bought my printer to return some expended ink-jet cartridges for which they give a good-guy environmental credit. I asked how many credits on my account. Learned that I had more than $20. Asked why they hadn't been applied to my printer purchase. "You have to ask the clerk to look up your account and they ask them to apply the credit." Turns out that the credits have been expiring, dropping off the charts, for lack of jumping through the asking hoops just right. "Why not just do it automatically?" "Some folks like to save them up for something big like a printer - not to use them on a stick of gum," he unhelpfully said failing to see that he used the example of a printer purchase just like the one that I'd just made. Feel like I've been sleazed all these years. My fault, of course, for not tracking this. But tracking a points system isn't high on my priority.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner of white bean soup makes me vegetarian for the day - my heart thanks me. Got stuck at dinner with DW discussing how to visualize the vastness of space since that's what I'll have to do for my first class of my course this fall on the solar system. She'd once calculated that a Sun the size of a one-foot diameter basketball sitting at the corner of our street would make Planet Earth sitting in front of our house about 93 feet away. The sun's diameter is one million miles and distance to the Earth is 93 million miles. Lots of emptiness in space. (With apologies to Dark Matter since "Out of sight, out of mind.")

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for recognizing all the GIANT negatives that the mind can conjure and for then remembering that you have goals.

maryann - Congrats for being able to touch the minds of your students. Hard to envision textbook PE classes - glad I'm not teaching that.

Karen (karenrn) - Welcome home! I envision the face of Otis when your arrived. Kudos for "I do remember that hunger isn't an emergency" in the midst of all this.

curlyjax - Kudos for using your treadmill when pain in the feet made walking uncomfortable. Enjoy your massage.

tokidoki - LOL at "and the dog has priority" - Yes, dogs are not to be ignored. What kind of dog?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 2 Set a Modest Weight-Loss Goal

I also want you to celebrate every time you reach a 5-pound milestone. Buy a new article of clothing or accessory. Get a new computer game, CD, or DVD. Treat yourself to a manicure, pedicure, or massage. Get tickets to an entertainment or sporting event. Buy a charm bracelet and get a new charm to commemorate each milestone. You can set whatever reward you want - as long as doesn't involve food. Take a moment now to think how you will reward each 5-pound milestone. Write down a few ideas in your Diet Notebook under the heading "Rewards for Losing 5 Pounds."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 33.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Time to re examine my food plan, clearly i'm eating too much. I like to do salad with a protein during the week to get my greens in, but i've been relying on storebought chicken salad and I think that is ratcheting up the calories. I don't want to do a ton of food prep on sunday, but I guess i need to make my own chicken for that, or get some rotisserie. I'm definitely feeling hungrier more often so I thought it was going in the right direction but i clearly need to examine things again. This is going to take forever, but at least i'm committed to following up on it now. I really need to stay the course this time, I can't fit into most of my pants which is a problem as the warm weather is leaving.
Maryann- glad you had a good teaching experience with some kids. Its going to be a very different year in education all around.
Gardenerjoy-good reminder about the ragweed sapping energy.
Karen- thanks for the ice bucket tip! I do go barefoot a lot, and have done more this summer since i've been home, that is probably the cause. I've started putting arch supports in my sandals at least. Glad you are safely back home.
Tokidoki-the sugar free gum makes me a little queasy, I don't like the aftertaste, so I try to avoid it. Walking the dog counts as exercise in my book
Bill-great that you can still take classes although I know its not the same thing as being there in person.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

DH's mom fell on Thursday night. SiL and the handyman had to come over and get her up. I'm not sure that she got out of her chair yesterday until SiL went over and made her get up. This feels like a situation that could deteriorate very quickly. If she can't or won't get up, then she's going to dehydrate.

The family dynamics are weird, too.

SiL lives within walking distance, but hasn't been engaged in MiL's care at all because she's caring for her husband who has MS and is isolating with him. MiL is not all that isolated because she interacts with a twice-a-week housekeeper and a once-a-week handy/yard man and a once-every-few-weeks nail and hair salon. And more.

I'm willing to do some care, but DH doesn't really want to lose my presence at home and is concerned about bursting our isolation bubble.

I keep thinking, "If this were my mother...." But, it isn't. And, my role is to be willing to be helpful and to not dictate what happens.

Reminding myself that food fixes none of this. Also, this would be a good Saturday night to skip my weekly drink in case I need to drive in the evening.

Edited to add: DH called his mom and she's been up a couple of times this morning, so we may have been through the worst already.

Exercise +35, 615/1400 minutes for September

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-12-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

TokiDoki: I teach High School US History and World Geography. Where are you from?
BBE: That makes me so cranky with Staples. I have been doing the same thing. It makes me never want to go back. But then I will because I am even more cranky with Amazon and its possible attempt to take over the election process ( among a million other reasons.)
gardenerjoy: In laws are very tricky. I 100% agree that my role in DH's family is support. Still, it is tough to not defend DH when I feel there has been a slight.
Karen: Will your MIL come to visit for awhile?
Curleyjax: I agree with Karen's advice. I have had plantars fasciitis for years. I have house shoes and stretch. We have a cold plunge at the club I am going to try.
Penny: You and I seem to be in the same up/down mini see saw of weight. Blick! I am ready to challenge this last ten pounds.

I am super glad for Saturday. I am going to take today off from school. DH and I are going to test drive a car. The Ford place is lending us a car to drive up to Tahoe because we need to see if it fits in the garage up in the cabin's garage. I am heading to the store for a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies. This is long over due. It is amazing how long I can put off going to the store now that my son is gone to college.My weight has drifted back down to two pounds above ticker.I have decided that bread is solidly on the red light foods along side nut butters and sugary desserts. I will still allow myself the low carb tortilla and occasional pasta. I don't seem to go crazy with either of those.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #68  

Good morning coaches,

Food choices were good yesterday, but portions were too large so weight stayed the same. On top of that the food was a bit salty. I did get out and hike the Gateway Loop this morning with my friend. We had so much visiting to do that the 90 minutes went very quickly. I didn't want to discuss the mil situation the first day I got home, but we did discuss it yesterday. We are both open to her coming to stay with us for awhile or however long, but first he needs to speak with his brother about his using her money. I don't envy him that conversation. I feel so fortunate that my brothers would never have done that. I've made my food plan for today and it includes a sheet pan shrimp boil that my friend and I made in WA. It was really good.

Maryann Enjoy your day off. What kind of Ford are you trying out?
GardenerJoy I'm glad mil is doing a little better. These are not easy years when they get old. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop with my mil.
Curlyjax My pants are snug too. This last 6 weeks I have not been near as diligent as I need to be. I don't think the travel helped cause I just let too much go in my mouth.
Bill I would have been so annoyed at Staples.
Tokidoki You sound very organized. I admire that. I also concur that dog walking counts as exercise. My Otis isn't the best walker, so it doesn't count for much at my house though.

Well time to get cleaned up and get out to purchase some birthday cards. Seems like I buy more sympathy cards than birthday cards, so today is a nice treat.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #69  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good afternoon!

Yesterday went off the rails, the day prior went off the rails. I am noticing extra weight on me, not just in numbers. The stress of everything is getting to me.

The air quality is so bad. I will have to force myself to do some type of indoor exercise, which I hate.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - National Grandparent's Day (since 1978, by President Jimmy Carter)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Still my beating heart: Excitement was a trip to a nearby AAA office with an appointment, in lieu of a Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) office, to renew DW's driver's license into a REAL-Id license. One RMV website said it couldn't be done; one had to renew now, and in a year they'd upgrade to REAL-id. This AAA office said that they could do it in one step. Rather unusually, DW asked me to accompany her. I did - an easy 8 mile drive. She had all her papers ready. The guard at the door checked all her paperwork. In his best Ukrainian-accented English he rejected her Social Security proof. She'd brought with her the original card issued to her when she was a teen - as had been listed as acceptable on the mailing from the Mass RMV. They'd just changed the rules; one now had to bring a document, like an IRS 1099 income form with the 9-digit SS number printed on it.

So, we drove the 8 miles home; got a 1099; drove back; did the deed. She has a 'temporary license' that's usable until the REAL-id arrives in ten days. Oddly, the first 1099 I pulled out of our last year's tax return file had XXX-XX as the first five digits of her SS number - for privacy I'd guess. That one was useless. We came close to failing to have a proof on hand. Would think that an unemployed person without income noted on 1099 forms, might be challenged to meet the requirements.

All the other proofs she'd carefully gathered were correct and immediately accepted.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was watermelon; don't know how long this will last. Dinner was Beef and Broccoli from a frozen package from Trader Joe's - from a handful of options that I'd picked up last week to try. Would give it a "B" - good enough for a meal but not stellar. The beef was coated with a bread crumb crust which wasn't necessary. We'll get about half the number of meals that the package declared.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for "my role is to be willing to be helpful and to not dictate what happens" under difficult circumstances. Wish your MIL well in getting to a stable place.

maryann - I can only imagine the change in buying food you face with your DH gone. How's he doing "out East" in Michigan?

Karen (karenrn) - Wish you well working out the MIL situation. Don't understand "sheet pan shrimp boil?" I've been to a shrimp boil; there was a honking big pot.

curlyjax - Fitting into pants is just the best motivator.

Penny. - Wishing you well with all the fires. Hope our newspapers are exaggerating the scene up there. Kudos for acknowledging the stress - a necessary step toward a solution.

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 3 Make Time for Dieting

Dieting requires a commitment. To lose weight successfully, dieting should be your top priority for a long time, and maintaining your new habits will always be high on your list if you want to keep off the excess weight for life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 34.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday was a great productive day. Started off with a massage, then got rid of lots of outside and inside trash with a few trips to the dump. DS helped me; it is such a help to have a strong 18 year old who willingly does brunt work- he sees it as good exercise. Got groceries done, took a nap- I love naps!-made a healthy salmon-asperagus-sweet potatoes-corn dinner, then went over to my widow friends house for a fire and too many smores. She was feeling a bit glum so we both complained and laughed, we always have a fun time being a bit inappropriate, but hey we're by ourselves.
Today I have a scheduled phone chat with my brother, then am meeting some other ladies for a walk. Hopefully they will all wear masks, I don't know them too well. Then a healthy dinner of beans with carrots-onions-tomatoes-pepper and rice, with hot sausage on the side for DS. And hopefully get my bills done somewhere in there.
I am so grateful for our cooler weather which gives me energy. I really feel for everyone affected by those fires, its so horrible and scary.
Bill- good to know about AAA. I have to renew my license in a few months and i'll do it that way. They closed down the closest DMV to me for now so AAA is much more convenient.
My son is a big fan of the Mandarin chicken from TJs; its not healthy but he's willing to drive there to get it and prepare it, so i'm fine with that once a week!
Gardenerjoy- ouch for family dynamics. Glad MIL is doing better.
Maryann- Nice that the dealership will lend you that car to try out sizing. My grocery bill is still high with my son being here, I know what you mean about how much they eat!
Penny- yikes, that sounds awful, I'm sure you are super stressed. How about dancing to music? And your kids can laugh at you
Karen-i'm curious about that shrimp boil pan too! Good luck with the MIL situation.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #72  

Good morning coaches,

Food was not perfect yesterday, but getting closer and weight was down 1/2 a pound. Food plan is made for today and I listened to online church this morning. I got out of the habit, but the minister is very good and always has a good message. The music is great too. They are meeting again in person and have 4 services so that it is easier to distance. I'll stick to at home for now. Today's plan is just to do some new goal setting, planning and that sort of thing. Dh called his brother yesterday and his Mom was always right there, so they didn't have a serious discussion. Later in the day he called his Mom who said she is happy and has visited with a lot of neighbors so she is happy to be there. Dh insists he already let his brother know that he knows Mom's funds are being used for his bills and it is not okay. I guess at this point my job is just to accept the situation. Dh did tell his Mom that if db presents any of his bills she is not to pay them and to call dh.

We had the Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil for dinner and dh thought it was excellent. At the bottom of the page I printed it says https://damndelicious.net/2017/02/13...n-shrimp-boil/ I also found the same recipe under Tasty.co. I used chicken andouille sausage just because that's what was available at Costco. We had spinach salad with strawberries and blueberries and a slice of rosemary bread on the side.

Curlyjax Your day sounds like it was great. Your dinner sounded delicious also.
Bill I'm glad dw got her driver's license. It seems so many things are more difficult these days.
Penny Yep, it sounds like you have a plate full. The fires alone would be enough. I can't believe the photos and the horrible air quality.

Well onward to get my planning done.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

A bit more drama with MiL late yesterday. Using the internet, she convinced herself that her problems were due to a recent increase in thyroid medicine. She called the local medical hotline and they pointed out that the same list of symptoms could also indicate that she had a stroke and, therefore, she should go to the emergency room. She was not doing that. A round-robin of family calls later, and we agreed with her assessment. She's had mini-strokes before. She knows what they feel like and she says that's not what happened. Plus, there's some suspicion that the hotline tells pretty much everyone to go to the emergency room, so they don't get sued if something goes wrong.

I went out again this morning to deliver more voter registration packets. I'm more than half-way through the box I was given. I think, tomorrow, I'll go to a large block of condos. The denser population should help me get through these more quickly.

Exercise +20, 635/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 146 / 137 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Hello coaches,

Yesterday spent most of the day preparing a presentation for work. Positive: eating was on plan.

Working the night shift today, and since nothing is happening I just finished reading day 9 of the pink book (picking an exercise program). For now the plan is bodyweight exercises 2x/week and interval training 1x/week. I tried not to be too ambitious, I'll see how it goes. Additionally I walk everyday, because my four-legged friend depends on me for his exercise.

billblueeyes the dog in question is a Border Collie, I knew they were a high energy breed when I got him, but I don't think I fully realized what that meant
curlyjax sounds like a great day yesterday! I was in a similar pants-not-fitting situation, and even though they are a great motivator I opted to buy a pair that fits well right now. Everyday I wear them I am so glad I bought them!
gardenerjoy I hope your mother in law has nothing serious.
maryann sounds like the food plans are going in the right direction
penny even if both days went off the rails don't forget to give yourself credit for any positive actions! I hope the air clears up soon
karen I love planning days! I hope it went well

Work appeared while I was writing the post. I'll be back tomorrow!
Old 09-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - American colonies adopt the Gregorian Calendar: no Sept 3 - Sept 13 (1752)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was DW's big driveway sale of native plants. She sold over 200 plants that she'd grown from seeds or spores. Each was potted in a quart or pint pot labeled with common name, Latin name, and growing instructions. Realized more than $1100 for her garden club. The Garden Club members arrived early carrying boxes and their shopping lists copied from her announcement. One arrived with a check for $100 with the excess as a donation since she only wanted $35 worth of plants. The most amazing thing I'd ever seen: every single plant was sold. In the last five minutes, two plants remained and the penultimate customer arrived; she wanted exactly those two. The last customers, two young women looking like they were ready to start their first garden, were surprised to learn that there were absolutely no plants left; experienced gardeners had known to arrive early. DW is both thrilled and exhausted. My job was to tally purchases and collect money. And then to geek up a neat spreadsheet showing sales throughout the day.

Eating was planned unusual, CREDIT moi. Lunch came from a spread DW had made for helpers: included a measured serving of trail mix, kale salad, grapes, and a baguette. Close enough. Dinner was pizza; "Anything that I don't have to make."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that you continue to deliver voter registration packets. Hope that makes a difference. Wish you well with your MIL's situation.

maryann and Penny. - Waving, with hopes that you're surviving some awful stuff.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats to your DH for having the difficult conversations. And Congrats to you for leaving that up to him. That Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil has me drooling.

curlyjax - Kudos for sharing your life with an 18-year-old DS willing to haul stuff to the dump. Well raised boy, that. I'll try Mandarin chicken from TJs - we're less worried about nutrition in our store of emergency meals.

tokidoki - Congrats for choosing a right-sized exercise plan. Yay for living with a Border Collie. Know about the need to run. For 15 years our Australian Shepherd needed to run and to herd - even if we didn't want to be herded, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:

task 3 Make Time for Dieting

Many of the tasks I suggest you complete throughout this program don't take a great deal of time to do, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you will somehow be able to just find the time. You will have to plan precisely when you are going to do each task. Otherwise, you will find yourself making excuses, such as I don't have time or I'm too rushed. Making excuses is a slippery slope that leads to failure.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 34.
Closed Thread