Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 05:26 AM   #46  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome tokidoki

tokidoki

And, in honor of your first post,

Neat that you've started with the Pink Book - my favorite for starting.

How did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 AM   #47  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Grace Hopper logs 1st computer "bug" - a moth in a relay (1945, Harvard)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Grilled salmon on the patio for dinner with corn-on-the-cob and green salad. A watermelon was served for dessert - still OK even though declining from their peak. Then, so unnecessarily, the last sliver of the remaining plum torte. If I didn't eat my sliver, it'd vanish. We gave half of what we had to DS and his SO in exchange for borrowing several tables for Sunday's plant sale. If the whole torte had lived at our house, I'd have eaten my half. Stuff that good has to be kept away.

Posted DW's grilled salmon recipe at
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Grilled Salmon Fillets
(Click on that little arrow to get there.) Fun to read that old thread; several current posters contributed; some old names to remember fondly. Would be great if folks were moved to add current contributions.

onebyone - Congrats for finding a new way to use your talent for business. Ouch for the underestimate of time. BTDT.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Always appreciate the reminder, "reminding myself that food won't help." Answered your grilled salmon question by posting DW's recipe (see above). She thinks the order of cooking both sides is why she doesn't see the white stuff problem.

maryann - Yes, do avoid the "Armageddon mode" thinking - a bit easy to fall into these days. That air sounds awful.

curlyjax - Yay for thinking of letting old furniture go in order to move forward in life. Bet your body is grateful for those 10 hours of sleep.

tokidoki - Neat that you consider your time availability seriously. You're most welcome to join us. Glad that you're here.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 1 Gather Your Supplies
You will use a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following: . . .
  • Smaller plates and bowls (optional). You will be more visually satisfied if your portions seem larger. If you get 1/2- and 1-cup bowls, you won't need to use measuring cups as often and you can eat directly from them, which will reduce cleanup time.
  • Smaller forks and spoons (optional). These utensils will help you take smaller bites so your food will last longer. For the same reason, some dieters enjoy using chopsticks, regardless of which type of food they are eating.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 33.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave. Had one of those nice dreams where I didn't want to wake up, the dream was too interesting, and my mom was there. thank goodness for coffee and you folks to slowly re-enter the world again.
I need to overnight a calculator to DD (sigh, this is the second thing i've sent her) so I need to get going. It's going to make me late but its better than driving there in person on the weekend. I did fairly well staying OP yesterday and woke up hungry today so that's a good sign. I'm still not getting much exercise in after work but I did a little cycling anyhow.
Bill- thanks for that link to the old recipes, some look good indeed. Maybe one of these days i'll add one in!
Welcome tokidoki.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 146 / 137 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Thank you all for your welcome

I just realized my first post might have made it sound as if this forum is a second choice, which was not the idea at all!

BillBlueEyes congratulations on the no daytime snacks, that's hard. For me this thread is on page 2 when I search for "beck diet solution group" (and a lot of results before are irrelevant), so quite easy to find. I vaguely remember lurking in some topics a few years ago, and thinking this forum seemed a bit more... mature, I guess, than other corners of the internet. I wonder what the average age is in here? Not that it's necessary for people to be older in order to be civilized.

I actually started with the pink book because of the recommendations in the Dr. Beck's website (cannot post URL's yet). I have a (borderline obsessive...) tendency to be a rule-follower, and after seeing this I just *had* to start with the pink book.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #50  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I didn't even make a food plan yesterday. I think I've given up on plans until I get home tomorrow. We ended up having nachos for dinner, and I'm sure I had more than I should have. We were going to have that for an appetizer and then have steaks for dinner, so at least we decided we didn't need the steaks. That will be dinner tonight. My sil and I drove up to near Mt. St. Helens to hike Coldwater Lake as planned. It was smokey as we headed up that way, but the winds kept the smoke away from where we hiked. Eventually there were a number of trees over the trail. After climbing under one and over others we decided to turn around. I try to be more careful that I used to be and I hate the thought of an injury miles from the trailhead. Back at their house it is smokier, but I'm sure nothing like what Maryann has. It is just awful so many places. We need some rain. Tomorrow morning at this time I will be arriving the Portland Airport. I have my N95 mask ready for the flight and hoping similar to my flight here. I'm ready to be back home with regular planning and my own shopping and cooking even though I have enjoyed the cooler temps. Take care all and welcome to tokidoki.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #51  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's meeting went well, but my eating wasn't as ordered as I want it to be. I've got into a 5x a day eating pattern. Which doesn't work as well for me as three meals plus an afternoon snack. So, I'll be working my way back to that.

Exercise +50, 465/1400 minutes for September

Welcome, tokidoki! This forum is my choice as an introvert, too. It works well for me!

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the grilled salmon recipe. Sounds fantastic!
Old 09-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #52  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Tokidoki, welcome! I also hate talking about my weightloss journey with people irl. I don't even enjoy people saying it looks like I lost weight.

Bill, good job getting rid of some of the torte. I agree, out of site, out of mind.

Maryann, that air sounds so bad. We have that a couple hours away. The sky looks so apocalyptic.

Curly, ooh I love a good dream like that! Funny that your daughter is keeping you busy still, but hopefully she'll be settled soon.

Karen, I've been wanting to hike so bad but the wind and the smoke has me waiting. I'm glad you're having a good time visiting people.

Joy, I do love it when you remind us that difficult situations are not a reason to eat. I'm trying to recognize it, deep breathe, and allow myself to feel the discomfort.

Onebyone, that sounds so stressful! I hope it works out. The cake cookie jar is a brilliant idea anyway.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Yugoslavia dominates Denmark for men's football gold (1960, Rome Olympics)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Major topic of conversation was her birthday party in two weeks. Alas, due to the COVID, the party won't be exactly that - but a series of drop-by and drop-off micro-events held over a weekend. Our DD still doesn't know exactly what the DGD's next year will be like, or where. Everything and every institution is still floating. The DGD climbed a tree just far enough to be over our heads and played 'house' for almost an hour. Almost an eternity to those of us servicing the game from the forest floor. Best part was to create a wind chime out of sticks and some gnarly twine from the ground. It looked like a wind chime.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Afternoon snack was the uneaten, darkening, bag of apple slices rejected by the DGD. But I planned to eat that on the drive home. Dinner on the patio was the third serving - and last - of the pot of chili from earlier along with a large green salad. On Wednesday's, there is no separate vegetable since DW is exhausted. Dawdling wasn't possible since she had to make it to a 7:00 pm Zoom meeting of her garden club. Had to be there to support the announcement of her driveway plant sale on Sunday.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hard to get meals and snacks in order when all else is up in the air.

Karen (karenrn) - Your Coldwater Lake looks lovely, as do all the sites up there in Washington state. Have a good flight home - to see Otis.

curlyjax - Ouch for having to ship a calculator to your adult, college DD. Reminds me when we were unpacking our Freshman DS in his new dorm in front of all his new dorm-mates, "Mom, you forgot my calculator!" said with the same expectation and entitlement as a 4-year-old. We laughed, and cried, all the drive home wondering if he'd notice that he was now in charge of his life. (Spoiler: Yes, he's a functioning adult, now.)

Penny. - Shuddering at your, "The sky looks so apocalyptic." Hope everyone is getting enough fresh air to survive.

tokidoki - A tendency to follow directions will be a big help in mastering Beck's strategies. I'd say that the average age around here is 'over-30'. Methodically following strategies on a healthy, normal, diet doesn't appeal to the younger set as much as eating only grapefruit for a month.

Readers -
Quote:

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 2 Set a Modest Weight-Loss Goal
Perhaps you already have a specific number you want to hit on the scale. Or maybe you are aiming to fit into a specific clothing size. But you don't yet know whether your particular goal is realistic, and you many get discouraged by how long term that goal is. You will be better able to motivate yourself if you set a series of short-term goals instead.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #54  

Yesterday was OP except for one coffee drink that was supposedly 80 calories and more sugar than I needed. I took a walk after work and did my weights too, and I wasn't as out of breath as I thought I would be on the walk. I do want to increase my cardio endurance as well, so I get back to doing things like dancing (when the pandemic permits) and be able to go on some kind of a trip in a few years. To give myself hope I'm thinking about the grand canyon, and Italy, working towards going to one of those in a group tour situation.
Karen- safe journeys coming home, i'm glad you've had a break.
Penny- she is good at keeping me busy I suspect it will continue for quite some time.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches,

Yesterday was one of the worst teaching days yet. Tech issues and battling a coworker put me in a foul mood. I have given up on food plans but I don’t have Karen’s excuse of traveling.

I am three pounds up from ticker which puts me 5 pounds down from this time last year and 10 pounds up from goal. I am keeping perspective that I was 25 pounds from goal in December. So credit! I don’t want to go back there. I must go and at least use a few machines at the gym. I have been working 10 - 12 hour days and it is not good for my body. The air is so horrible though. Another nearby town was burn to the ground in the Bear creek fire. They say the air won’t clear till next week.

i have got to get into gratitude: family is healthy. I am of service. I have healthy food planned and a loving family. I get to post here.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #56  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was good and weight is holding.

The sky is sepia and it feels like the solar eclipse. A smokey solar eclipse. It's dh's birthday so we had a fancier pancake breakfast with mimosas, and we'll go out to eat for dinner. If the restaurant is open. It feels so weird to go about normal activities when the world is falling apart.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #57  
Green Tomatoes

Checking in late. I thought I was going to shop tomorrow, but we decided today was better. I've been used to a 24-hour preparation, so it felt like a rushed process. I hope I got everything I needed. I did get our normal brand of toilet paper in our normal package size -- first time since March. I would have been allowed to buy two! But, we only needed one, for now.

Exercise +80, 545/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-11-2020, 05:44 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - September 11 Remembrance Day (2001, NYC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included passing a brick-and-mortar bookstore with a line on the sidewalk out front. Immediately, I started to walk over to see what was happening. Then had the more rational thought that walking to join a crowd was exactly the opposite of my current goals. Accordingly, I'm unable to tell you what was up. Maybe Rowling released a new Harry Potter? You won't hear it from me.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was inside due to some slight, but badly needed rain. The green salad was loaded with cherry tomatoes; we're still getting those even when all else has given up. After dinner snack was watermelon - savoring each bite as if the seasons were changing.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Chicken and toilet paper in the same week! Our triumphs are so small these days, LOL.

maryann - Ouch for the California fires. Wish you well that you can avoid the physical fire even though you're getting it in the air. Keep the faith around the difficulties with online teaching. You're leading the way to our future.

Karen (karenrn) - Waving toward, hopefully, home where you're cuddling Otis.

curlyjax - Wonderful to be visualizing trips to the Grand Canyon and Italy - what a way to get out in the world. Ouch for too much sugar - the bane for many of us.

Penny. - Cringe at "The sky is sepia." Congrats for being able to celebrate your DH's birthday amidst all that's going on.

Readers -
Quote:

task 2 Set a Modest Weight-Loss Goal

Make your initial goal to lose just 5 pounds. University of Minnesota research shows that people with smaller short-term goals are more likely to achieve those goals and to maintain their weight loss long term. Once you reach your first 5-pound milestone, you can then set another goal to lose an additional 5 pounds ... and then another ... and then another.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:31 AM   #59  

It's so humid out so I used the manual treadmill yesterday after work, instead of going for a walk. I seem to have some plantar fasciitis going on I think- a stabbing pain under my heel- so I need to add some more stretches to my regime. I'm weighing myself once a week and have lost only one pound this week, boo, but at least its going in the right direction. Those iced coffee drinks that are allegedly 80 calories aren't doing me any good but they sure do seem to perk me up after lunch! And I need to quit chewing gum with sugar; I figure its less calories than a dessert but still. And an occasional swig of Baileys at night. Okay, I can see what i'm doing now that its all in print!
Fridays are usually slow so its an easy day at least, although it drags.
Tomorrow I'm treating myself to a lovely massage in the morning which I really need.
Maryann and Penny- thinking of you during these terrible fires, how scary.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

There were some food wins: eggs on tomato instead of bread for breakfast. Lots of brussel sprouts. Credit. Too much standing while eating, though. That is what I will focus on stopping.

Teaching was better yesterday. I focused on helping two or three in each class who were failing and worked in their accounts to catch them up. In one little group was a boy who I thought was defiant and turns out he just came from China and can barely speak English. He was with a black football player who along with my class is failing PE for the first time in his life because it has become a textbook instead of active. We had a great conversation with the boys talking about the of geographical situation of Sacramento which made it our capital. It was a high spot in my week.

Happy Friday
Closed Thread