Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #31  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

It turns out that the voter registration drive involves a lot more steps and a lot less driving than I anticipated. An excuse for exercise -- yay! I picked up enough packets that I'll be using this excuse for a couple of weeks.

Exercise +80, 295/1400 minutes for September

karenrn: The pepper steak version of hempeh definitely gave my tempeh sausage crumbles ( ) a different texture and flavor. Good, just different. I'll have to compare the fat, some time. Hempeh feels oily in a way that tempeh doesn't. I suppose that's not too surprising since seeds are oilier than beans. But, that's not a bad trait in a recipe that's attempting to be like sausage.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did get my new microwave and DS helped dispose of the old one at the dump, and I got some things mailed off to DD, but that was about my productivity level for the day. Then I mooned about feeling depressed and ended up wayyy overeating. Even though its been 2 1/2 years since DH died, a part of me is still dealing with the whole "what does the rest of my life look like" and reinventing things as a single person. The ongoing pandemic is just making it worse and making me face my aloneness, and the future just looks so bleak. Most days I can remind myself how lucky I am to have a job, health insurance, money in the bank, etc but some days it just swoops down on me.
I did call manfriend (because I always have to initiate everything!!) and we're going to the DeCordova today, thanks for the reminder Bill. So that will be nice. And I'm hoping to meet up with some other widows next week. Onwards!
Old 09-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #33  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday night. Still summer.

Spoiler
Hi Coaches

Today I completed one of the things on my ceramics to do list. An urn for a Japanese Bobtail Cat.I don't usually take in ceramic custom work but if it has as aspect of something that I need to learn it feels like being paid to learn it because I have to. An urn is really a jar and I need to practice making lids that fit. Pretty important for an urn to have a lid that fits. During the construction of it I had a feeling the client wouldn't like it and I was.right. While she is not looking for a portrait jar, I would.never commit to that, she did want the general shape of a Japanese.Bobtail cat. The urn I made is kinda the opposite.Big round head. Tubular body. JBC has triangular head, slendar neck and shoulders. Not conducive to being a jar that a hand would fit in. We discussed it in email and I offered to try again and will create a.lid from the base instead. She will open there and.drop ashes in and replace the base/lid then seal with wax or glue or whatever. It will.work and free me.from the issue of functionality that a narrow slender neck poses.

And in other ceramic news, I dropped off all the soapdishes finally (104 in total plus two that I loathed--they were free) and soap lady says 10+ have already sold. She says I need to be back at the kiln... not yet I say. Not yet.

Foodwise I was way off plan, as planned, all day yesterday and back on plan today. Scale rocketed to 280 this morning. Let's see where it lands in the morning.

Heading to bed. See you guys back here tomorrow.

Billblueeyes: I finished my post then wanted to attach an image of my urn. I went to the advanced editor but couldn't get the attachment button to work so there is no pic here from me. I thought I'd let you know as it seems the editor has been upgraded, or should I say, "upgraded ". Maybe you can get them to check. Hopefully its not user error on my end though it wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Labor Day (since 1882 in New York City)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS and his SO for two hours around the local reservoir - all masked and socially distanced. All the other walkers, hikers, joggers, bikers, and dog walkers were similarly masked and spaced. Learned that they are investigating a new stove. Salesman was pushing dual ovens, "The new thing." The SO was intrigued, especially when he showed one that could be a single large oven or, with the insert, two smaller ovens. Seemed like a perfect idea until they read the directions, "Temperature difference no more than 75 degrees F." Not so great. The SO wanted 525 and 300 to be useful. "Back in the days when we entertained guests," she said wistfully.

Pre-dinner snack of a slice of a plum torte - made from that very NY Times recipe. Unbelievably good for such a simple taste. The story is that a friend wanted to bake it but lives alone. Invited herself to drop by for a cup of tea - she'd bring the plum torte. Was a lovely afternoon visit out on the patio where our table allows us to sit far enough apart. She left several slices behind; she only wanted a small bit more. It's made from fresh plums - a bit of work. DW and I both ate slightly less dinner after indulging and I skipped my evening Gala Apple. I'm glad that a sweet dessert isn't part of our daily life.

Just as I was about to turn off my computer for the night, the new printer whirred-up and spit out a page. DW came in with a smirk, "Did I startle you?" She's so happy to be able to just print whenever she wants just like when she had her own printer. Even when I printed stuff for her after she emailed it to me there was at least a few minutes wait - or a few hours if I wasn't free. The simple pleasure of being able to print from a computer. Who'dathunk?

onebyone - Congrats for completing your soap dish order. Smart move to recognize that a cat's neck isn't the right shape for inserting ashes. [I'll tell that admin about your picture posting issue. It worked for me by using the [Insert Image] link in the second line of the posting box - the upper line no longer works. Do you have a second line?]

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for hiking for democracy. Kudos for signing up for a couple of weeks of working.

curlyjax - Super Kudos for getting a new microwave and disposing of the old one on the same day. I admire that you allow yourself to work out your grief in its own good time.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 1 Gather Your Supplies
You will use a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following: . . .
  • A digital scale. Preferable chose one that weights to the half pound, so you can weight yourself daily and keep track of your progress.
  • Graph paper. You will use it to chart your weight loss.
  • A small box. Select one about the size used to file recipe cards. You will turn this into a Memory Box where you can store important weight-loss milestones and memories.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 33.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #35  
Green Tomatoes

Labor Day weekend used to include a trip out to the country for potluck with the in-laws. I'm missing that less than I probably should. We'll have a better meal here and I'll get some fun, creative work done.

Exercise +65, 360/1400 minutes for September

BillBlueEyes: We've been inspired by you to add grilled salmon to our summer repertoire. Any tricks on how to stop the pale coagulation that develops on top during the cooking process?
Old 09-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #36  

The DeCordova outside park was lovely; lot of people there but all SD and wearing masks. I was a little disappointed I couldn't go hang with manfriend after-his daughter was coming over- but then a friend invited me to sit by her firepit with herself and her mom, so I ended the evening that way. I allowed myself to feel a pang of jealousy when they talked about their family that came over the prior night; I do wish I had a bigger family. I feel bad for my kids too that we have such a small circle, and the holidays are just sad at this point. Anyhow, I'm grateful for my lovely inlaws (who don't live closeby either) and friends. I think its going to be a tough year for a lot of folks socially wise, and once the winter hits, depression levels are going to soar.
Well, there's a happy post It's another beautiful day. I need to grocery shop (ugh) but the rest of the day is mostly free.I may do an errand with DS at some point. His best friend is off to college today so he's a little bummed. It's hard to watch everyone go off when you're stuck at home, but the whole college experience isn't great these days either.
Onebyone- it will be fun to see your urn if the photo works. That is awesome about the soap dishes being in demand!
Bill- that plum torte sounds fabulous. I'm so glad we have outside spaces to go to. I steer clear of state parks on holiday weekends, and I'm sure these days they limit the crowds even more.
Gardenerjoy-ha! thanks for the reminder that family gatherings aren't always fabulous
Old 09-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

So, I'm always really glad when I check in here and see you guys are still trucking along. It makes me feel somewhat grounded.

I have been really really sad lately. I start crying when I see something sad on TV or read a sad book. I'm sort of worrying about my mental health. The Covid and the political situation are really weighing on me.

Tomorrow I'm going in to get an MRI on my neck. Every so often (3x total), both arms go numb simultaneously. The heart doctor thinks it's some nerve in my neck. He says it absolutely is not my heart or a stroke. The neurologist thinks it's vascular. So who am I to believe?

Weight wise I gained a little over the summer, but have been on a good track for several weeks and am almost back where I started, so things are not horrible in that regard. Because I am not going to the gym I'm having more problems with my leg. I went to a orthopedic surgeon about a possible hip replacement, and he basically told me that being too fat was causing all my problems. I know I'm way too heavy, but it still hurts to hear it put so bluntly.

Well, that is my sad story thus far. Jeez, I didn't mean to pop in here only to tell my sadness, so sorry. I guess I just needed to vent, thank you all for being here.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #38  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

I'm a little behind in the thread. Waving hello to everyone!

My work weekend was a great one, and I finished on time or early. My eating has been too much and I’m at the top of my acceptable weight range so it’s time to bring it back down. With a long stretch of days off, I can easily do that now.

Today is finished at just over 1000 calories. We're having a wind storm and smoke-filled air tonight. Hopefully we don't lose power, or wake up to any damage.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #39  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

This will be brief because the internet is really slow and I don't want to type something long and then have it not send. I left my friends house in Tacoma yesterday morning, drove to Aberdeen to take my mil a couple of things I purchased for her and then drove to an area near Toutle WA to camp with my dh, sil, niece and her family on the Toute river on some property her in laws own. It was very fun. Their property was buried in five feet of the mud flow when Mt. St. Helens blew and they dug out the structure that is a roof over several picnic tables and it is now five feet higher. So weird to think about what that must have been like. My nephews family owns the Toutle store and gas station and kept it open for first responders when the mountain blew. Actually that area was okay, but even in the river where we camped there is a huge piece of metal that was once a bridge over the river further up. Anyway, tomorrow sil and I are going up near Mt. St. Helens to hike at Goldwater Lake. I have been eating too much. I got on her scale and it wasn't too bad, but I'm not so sure mine will be so kind.

More when I get home on Thursday.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #40  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - International Literacy Day (since 1965, by the United Nations)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another person showed up at our door, "I don't see the plants." "Today isn't Sunday and it's not September 13th. I hope you can come back then," I helpfully suggested. DW wondered if the date and time on her announcements hadn't been clear enough. But a friend who does publicity for a major local organization assured her, "There'll always be some who get it wrong." The new printer continues to serve DW well as she thinks of one more thing to print. I continue to pat myself on the back for getting it operational for DW's use for her upcoming sale.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was the second meal from the pot of chili - mine eaten with the Injera Bread. The cuke from our garden in the green salad was crisp and wasn't bitter; we were worried since end-of-crop cukes aren't always so great. We missed the notion of 'doing something' on Labor Day, but six months of isolation has muted our sense of entitlement to just get up and go. A Gala Apple for evening snack finished the day.

Walked, CREDIT moi, on a path that wandered the neighborhood. Spotted a black Tesla Model X that I hadn't spotted before. I do like its gull-wing doors but am not a fan of its price nor its reliability record. We who don't own Teslas feel quite free to be critical, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for a missed Labor Day tradition - even if missed "less than I probably should." [Haven't asked DW your grilling question yet.]

Karen (karenrn) - So fun to be reminded that the eruption of Mt. St. Helens changed its surrounding world. Five feet raised is so much. Congrats for keeping someone's scale at an acceptable reading.

curlyjax - So fun to hear that you like your visit to the DeCordova - reminds me to go again before the snow blows in. Ouch for your DS's pain of watching friends go off to college - even though those who get there aren't always so pleased with the COVID version.

Penny. - 1000 calories is so very few; Kudos for doing that if that is your plan. Just noted that the Baconator at Wendy's would have gotten you 960 calories of that alone. You'd have been free to assign the remaining 40 calories to lunch, dinner, and snacks as you saw fit.

CJZee - Bummer when your cardiologist and neurologist point fingers at each other's organs. Many folks who carry weight complain that their doctors only see weight as the source of their problems. Kudos for being on a good track for several weeks.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 1 Gather Your Supplies
You will use a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following: . . .
  • A larger box. You will use this to store distractions to help wait out cravings, negative emotions, and other precipitants to unplanned eating..
  • Multiple sets of measuring spoons and cups. You will be using these essentials several times a day. You will be less likely to measure your food if your only set is in the dishwasher, still dirty.
  • A digital food scale. You will use this indispensable tool to accurately measure your food by weight.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 33.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #41  

I ended up finally feeling better yesterday thank goodness. We had a fabulous dinner of salmon, corn on the cob, sweet potato fries and swiss chard, which I haven't had in eons. I did have some wine but no dessert. I slept almost 10 hours;either I needed the sleep or was depressed. I must say it was fabulous.
I've been thinking about getting rid of some stuff like an old couch in the basement, and moving things around a bit. The recliner i watch tv in is not comfortable, nor is the love seat there, so I could just get rid of them and get one good chair. We never watch anything as a family, and it would give me more space for the exercise bike etc. It's good to change things up now and then.
CJZee-nice to see you. I so hear you about the sadness. I love the fall but the shorter days don't help either. Sorry about that doc's bluntness; surgeons definitely aren't known for their bedside manner I have found a stationary bike at home to be helpful for my hip; I bought a cheap one off amazon.
Bill-too funny about that person, I guess they were eager for plants! Your garden food sounds lovely.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

I've got a meeting today that I feel less than adequately equipped for. I don't know how to remedy the lack, so my best strategy is to listen. I'm reminding myself that food won't help and exercise might.

Exercise +55, 415/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 146 / 137 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Hello Coaches,

I found out about the pink book through Reddit, and today I reached day 6 - Find a Diet Coach. I am a very introverted person, and I am not at all at ease talking about diet and exercise with friends or familly members (who are, for the most part, thin and quite fit). I considered professional help, however I am at a very busy period in my life and so I chose not to add additional time commitments, at least for now. However, I am convinced of the need to share the journey with others. May I join you here?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Quick Hello from the periodontist chair. Blick! Food is undisciplined and not as healthy as I would like. Exercise isn’t possible since our air index is a 500 when I guess 300 is horrible. Ashes are flying everywhere.

I am trying not to get into the Armageddon mode. In any case, extra food won’t help.

caught up on posts. Welcome TOKIDOKI
Old 09-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #45  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post The Tuesday after Labour Day

Coaches, hi.

Today was a real challenge. I had a one on one workshop qith a new potter looking to replicate the wedding cake she made for her son as a cookie jar in clay. I knew it would be rough but said yes anyway. Three cake tins stacked on top of each other, masking taped together to become one form to drape clay onto. Dogwood flowers. Leaves. Then talk of vines! No way would we get to vines. In the 3 hrs she paid for we got as far as covering the cake pan form. We still had to cut a lid, make a knob for the lid, make sure the lid fit, take the clay off the form (without collapse) put a bottom on the form and then allow it to dry. She would have to make and attach her flowers when it stiffened up. There were several hazards with this project and, as expected , we hit them all. Not enough time to construct all elements. Rushing the drying. Really big problem because when we removed the form it held then slowly started to slump which threw off the lid because we had.to save the form by squishing and moving and then stuffing with newspaper and jerryrigging clay supports. I have about 55% confidence it'll make it through the night. I have tongo see it tomorrow. We worked 2 hours past the three. And there will be another hour tomorrow. I'm not asking for.more $. Its my problem that I underestimated. I'm ok with that. I just need to see the thing succeed. I am learning how to price this and estimate time needed so I expect to be off but this was really off!
Foodwise a good day as I was busy.
The batteries in my scale.died this.morning so no weight for today. Tomorrow!

Closed Thread