Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Food was off yesterday confounding my ability to get more than a few days straight OP. I took a rare day off weighing. There is no use beating myself up. I'll be back on the scale tomorrow. Today I am doing a little RBG day in US History since our theme is reform. Gardening was exercise. I woke up to more bad air from fires. I wish it would rain.

So I was in a tiff with DH which involved a water pillow which I use every night. He alway says "The Water Pillow I use to have." He is teasing and I am tired of being teased about taking his pillow. So I put the pillow in his room, locked my adjoining door, and slept with a horrible pillow. I woke up with a soar neck. Serves me right. I ordered a second pillow on Amazon this morning. At some point I will stop being petty but it is not this morning.

Karen and Curleyjax: I do come from a big family but it is often a source of deep anxiety for me. I have found that I have to break it up into little sections or individuals to get comfort from it.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #167  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I have my two hour work meeting via video, that is so difficult to sit through. Time slows down, I feel like falling asleep. I don't know how people have even longer zoom sessions.

The week is supposed to be warm and sunny here, so hiking is a must.

Bill, lol at the "kids" still liking cash from the 'rents. We give our kids $10 per year in age for their birthday and I enjoy thinking about still doing it in their adult years.

Joy, excellent job meeting your exercise goal!

Maryann, I'm sorry you are still having the fires and smoke in your area. I had to laugh at the petty fight with DH. I would have done the same thing.

Onebyone, we both have November birthdays. Good luck with your goal!

Curly, I hope the antacid medicine is helping. Yay for feeling accomoplished at work. I was high fiving myself after a work day this weekend because I successfully put in a catheter in a difficult situation (4'll" an 350 pounds in an awkward set up in her bedroom). Work always gives me reminders for why I need to stay fit for an easier older age.

Karen, waving at you on the trail! Ha!
Old 09-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #168  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I've just finished hiking Bell Pass and then taking Otis for a walk. Food was on plan yesterday and I did not have a drink. I didn't even think about it, just set my intention and did it. I did have a LaCroix when I was watching some news before dinner. My plan is to have no drinks Sunday thru Thursday and then see about Friday and Saturday. I obviously need to do something to shake up weight loss. I have increased exercise and am cutting down on portions, but I know it takes more than a day or two. I know I am doing the right things so will expect some results or will expect I need more small changes. No big plans today but plenty to do, just haven't chosen what yet.

Penny I'm sure you have frequent reminders in your work on why you want to stay fit and healthy.
Maryann I hate being teased by my dh too. Otis has several squeaky duck toys and I seem to step on one on the way to the bathroom during the night occasionally and always get a comment. Of course dh's side of the bed is right next to the bathroom door. Good idea to just get another pillow for sure. I keep thinking I should check for ducks before going to bed, but they are often moved by Otis.
GardenerJoy Congrats on the lower scale reading. That always feels good.
Bill I always loved getting that kind of a "gift certificate", in fact dh still gives them to me and I always find a use.

I looked at protein bars when I was at Costco the other day but didn't end up buying any. I had one from a friend when I hiked Bell Pass on Friday and found I needed some of it (but it was terrible). Anyway, I decided they are too tempting for me to have a whole case of them in the house. Most of them taste too much like cookies. This morning I made a PB&J on a small store brand sandwich thin. I think it probably had about 240 calories and worked great. I was going to call it my snack, but I'm still not hungry so I think I can just wait until lunch time. I put egg bites on my plan for a snack if needed. I used to always eat breakfast before hiking, but it's such a long time until lunch then.

Waving to everyone else and moving on with the day. You all have a good one.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #169  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - S B Nicholson discovers 12th satellite of Jupiter (1951)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was dahl with asparagus and a green salad, making me vegetarian for the day. Dinner conversation was about the tragic brain-eating amoeba that struck Southern Texas. Was almost a relief to have a tragic topic that didn't center on Washington, D.C.

Spent the day writing some stuff that I'd put off until the last minute. In my next life, I'll be born with natural writing skills. Perhaps like Dickens who published each chapter in one of his serialized novels before the remainder were written. That's confidence. I have no idea how anything was written before word processing allowed rewrites and paragraph shuffles. Perhaps Moby Dick would be shorter by half, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for double benefit from working for democracy.

maryann - Congrats for using Amazon for a simple fix to a vexing situation. Love that you're doing RBG day with your kids.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, there are some pretty tasteless protein bars out there that need to be avoided. Had to google egg bites - they look deadly; think I'd have a stack of them.

Penny. - For long Zoom meetings, I've been known to mute sound from me and turn off the video so I can stand up and stretch. It's kind of fun to be stretching in front of a group of folks who can't see me doing it. Love the notion of $10 per year of age for your kids. My DS would certainly have had a more profitably birthday at age 42 by your formula.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

They think they can be an effective dieter and maintainer if they do a "pretty good" job using their skills and following their eating plan, instead of doing a thorough and complete job.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 35.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had a headache that lasted the evening and I couldn't find the aspirin that I know I bought (tylenol didn't help). I was feeling a little sorry for myself with that and the bloating, plantar fasciitis, some bones in my feet that seem enlarged, and now my other hip is waking me up at night when I sleep on it. Grumble grumble. I ate a lot of carbs yesterday but I did not eat over it. It's so easy to take for granted feeling good which I have for most of my life, and the body aging in certain ways is inevitable.
I was reading a 50 and over dating website, where a guy said- I don't know why my overweight female friends don't just lose weight, its an easy way to up your (dating) options- and the women called him on it. Not so easy pal, and especially for women in menopause etc!
Karen- my son eats the Kind protein bars that have 8-12 grams of protein and 5-8 grams of sugar, but I think they do have 250 calories. He is a trim 18 year old so he can guzzle them down although I tell him one a day as they are pricey.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #171  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for exercise which included the machines. I don't like to do them (would rather just walk on the treadmill) but it is so important to keep my muscles in shape. I am so grateful I haven't had a desk job for years. My back would be toast. RBG day went well. We are finishing up the theme of reform with political reform and focusing on Watergate of which my students have never heard. I haven't decided how I am going to fold in the debates.

Food is too much and my weight is climbing into the upper half of the decade. Curleyjax is right. Losing this weight is not easy even if it seems simple. I am going to commit to finishing my OA steps and ordering Dr. Greger's book so I have a reference guide. Also, the Hungry Brain which follows along with BBE's brain class.

Happy Fall.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #172  
Green Tomatoes

Today's list contains a few "I don't want to" items and at least one "I'd do this all day, if I could" item. I know from experience that can lead to indecision, which can lead to the sabotaging thought, "I'll just have a snack and see if the decision becomes clearer while I eat it." It turns out that food doesn't have magic decision-making properties. So, I'll just go with this reminder that will work fine today: It doesn't matter what I do as long as I do something. That's an attitude that will get me through the day with most of the list complete.

Speaking of hard decisions, our school board was expected, by many, to vote last night on an option to get more students in the school buildings for the second quarter. They ended up not voting and a lot of folks are up in arms about it. I'm choosing not to have an opinion since I'm so far removed from the difficult situations that people are in now or will be put in if things change. So, I just sent a neutral and encouraging note to my favorite board member, thanking her for her service.

Exercise +50, 1470/1400 minutes for September

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-29-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #173  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was an on plan food day, but I did eat my planned snacks. Weight is down a pound or so today and that was encouraging. I also had day 2 of no drinks, no problem. I decided not to hike this morning and instead took Otis for a longer walk that we drove to. It's very pretty along a man made lake and then a golf course with a view of Camelback Mountain (which isn't really very big for a WA person). He enjoyed the walk and so did I. I have vacuuming to do today and if I hike I make excuses not to do that.

GardenerJoy Boy do I know that snack to procrastinate plan. I wish I could always just set my intention to do something and do it.
Maryann You and Curlyjax are both right. I just wish I knew why sometimes it is no problem and other times seems near impossible to lose weight. I put the Hungry Brain on hold. I listen to so many podcasts, books, etc to help me stay focused and motivated.
Curlyjax I have had some Kind bars before, but the ones I had were lots of nuts that seemed to be stuck in my teeth afterwards. I think for now I'll do the small PB&J. I hope your aches and pains go away. Have you tried no sugar, no flour for the achey bones? I've heard some people say it makes a world of difference.
Bill My egg bites were the kind in the picture you posted. I had the egg white bites, but they were plenty high fat with the cheese in them. Actually they were a bit too rich. I have made some in the instant pot before that I think I liked better.

Waving to the others. I'm going to do my journaling and then get the vacuum out and watch Otis hide.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #174  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with my long hike, weight is probably holding. I missed the weigh-in.

The smoke is supposed to make its way back into our air tomorrow, so I should probably do another outdoor activity today.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 09-30-2020, 05:19 AM   #175  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - George Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess" premieres (1935, Boston)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the supermarket was so normal. All folks wore masks in a store with strictly counted maximum number of shoppers. Got everything on my list. And bought Cosmic Crisp Apples for myself even though they cost $2.49 per pound instead of the Gala cost of $0.99 per pound. I'm worth it.

Excitement was a trip to the local computer store to survey buying a new laptop. Learned a bunch of stuff that I needed to know. Most important, a second monitor connects via an HDMI port; just what I wanted to hear. To play DVDs one needs to buy a separate box; "No one plays DVDs or uses CDs anymore." Felt like a Neanderthal. I planned to watch the Presidential Debate. I lasted five minutes. Went to bed with my heart racing.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks. Dinner was grilled salmon - always on Tuesdays because that's when DW goes to Whole Foods. At last, Whole Foods had freshly ground peanut butter in a pint container - the way I like it. It's been scarce for the last six months since the grinders have been removed from the store. Hopefully I'll do more peanut butter sandwiches with it. Evening snack was a Cosmic Crisp Apple. Beyond delicious.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I am so glad that I'm not responsible for the decision on when to send kids back to school. Only good news is that it's being done differently in so many places that we might quickly learn which one works.

maryann - How do you explain Watergate to kids who've never heard of it? It's so enmeshed in the culture of that day.

Karen (karenrn) - Glad you got Otis out in the wild where no garbage trucks roam. LOL at a Washington State resident sizing up Arizona mountains. By-the-by, today is also the anniversary of FDR dedicating the Boulder (now Hoover) Dam in 1935. Do you have a simple summary for me on why that's now controversial?

curlyjax - Glad that the women of the dating site set that guy straight. Sounds like he's lived his life in his own little bubble. Don't recommend clicking him. Love being reminded that your 18 year old DS can guzzle protein bars.

Penny. - Ouch for the return of the smoke. I was hoping that you guys were winning on that.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks:

task 4 Get a Diet Buddy

The most important task of a Diet Buddy is to help you make sure you are doing what you need to do every day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 35.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Good day at work yesterday. Sometimes people only want to be listened to. Being a widow is helpful with some folks as I truly can empathize how they feel. And I can relate to the losses of aging a bit, although certainly not like an 80 year old.
I wasn't that hungry yesterday so it was easier to stay OP, although I did surrender to the siren call of some chocolate when I went to the drugstore. That is my biggest downfall, and I sometimes despair of having the willpower to resist it for a long time as Maryann has done so well.
Bill-I watched the whole thing and had trouble getting to sleep. I really hope the election results won't result in more violence either way.
Penny- I agree, two hours zoom is too much, especially when you can't exercise during it (which I do during some webinars as i'm off camera).
Karen-I have real trouble staying away from flour and sugar but i should try it. I forgot about those egg bites things, they look awesome. Yay for a nice walk with Otis.
Gardenerjoy- that sounds like a productive list. I'm sure the board members like to get thanked, that's a tough job.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #177  

Good Morning, Coaches.

DH was pretty low this morning. He has had to hire out harvesting the walnuts again because of a labor shortage and he is having trouble getting the advice he needs on drilling a well - short or long. He can't get advice and yet it is hundreds of thousands of dollars to risk. I try to support him but he gets very confrontative with questions if I say anything and then I become overwhelmed. It is a very "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" interaction. This makes me very hungry. Oh well. I want to get at better at helping so it is good to practice.

Food was much better yesterday. I have been following a pattern that I am back down to near ticker by Friday and then up I go on Saturday - Grrrrrr. The research I did was very clear about extended periods of low variety, bland choices to overcome the natural defenses of the body to maintain set point. Extended period needs to be more than two days. Still, today will be my second day and I will start with today.

Happy Hump Day to all.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #178  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I didn't do anything active yesterday but planned my big hike again with a friend today. Yay! The air quality looks good so far.

I only caught glimpses of the debate but wow, what a shitshow. Trump using "white supremacy" and "right wing" as synonyms, and Biden telling him to shut up. It's embarrassing to be an American.

Bill, I just bought myself a new Discman for CDs on the trail. LOL at being worth the expensive apple. Treat yourself!

Curly, yay for a good day at work. I bet they do appreciate a listening ear.

Maryann, it sounds very stressful to be a farmer. I was reading about some US agreement with Mexico to get water from them every year but it steals all of the water from local Mexican farmers. They are now staging a revolt and protesting the theft of their water.

Waving at Joy and Karen and Onebyone.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #179  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's eating got a bit sloppy, mostly due to a miscommunication with DH about timing for supper and who in this household would be watching the debate and who would not (I didn't). I'll be in control of my own timing for supper today, so I hope that helps.

Exercise +40, 1510/1400 minutes for September

BillBlueEyes: Speaking of opera premiers....I felt hip because the Metropolitan Opera announced that their first show when they reopen for the 2021-2022 season will be "Fire Shut Up in My Bones." I can tell New Yorkers that they are in for a moving performance, since I saw the world premier production in St. Louis.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #180  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and again no drinks even though I did watch the entire "**** show" and commentary afterwards. I couldn't get to sleep for awhile so I didn't have enough sleep, but I did get up to hike Sunrise with my friend this morning. It was good to go out for a debriefing. Hiking Suzanne took me out to her fancy country club for a belated birthday lunch yesterday. I enjoyed half a cobb salad and didn't eat all of that and then had three very small bite desserts. They brought the tiny desserts out on a long narrow tray with a sparkler in one of the desserts. There was only one other table of diners as the club is mostly closed due to reseeding of the golf course. Weight was down a tiny bit today, so yahoo for that. I've went through some recipes this morning to have a few things to cook in the next couple of days and I've been to the grocery store to buy ingredients.

GardenerJoy We had one debate watcher and another not, but it was the opposite at our house.
Penny Enjoy your hike today.
Maryann That does stressful both for you and dh with needing help and the well. Good for you for the downward trend.
Curlyjax Those less hungry days are so nice. I bet your seniors are so happy to have you to talk with.
Bill I'm wondering if the last apples I bought were the Cosmic Crisp. They are delicious. I'll have to note the variety before I throw the plastic container out next time.

Well time to get to my journaling before lunch. Boy am I looking forward to the after lunch nap.

Closed Thread