Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #16  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just back from walking Otis which occurred just after hiking the Gateway Loop by myself this morning. I really do like to hike by myself sometimes so I can choose the speed I want to go and listen to a podcast or book. It was a little cooler and the cooling towel around my neck really does help. Food was on plan yesterday and weight is down a bit, but still up from a few days ago. I'm wondering if picking up my exercise is contributing too. I know sometimes that happens. In any event I need to stay the course and really watch my portions. I did go through a closet in the back bedroom yesterday afternoon and I found some summer tops I can use. I found some other cute summer tops that I know are too small this summer. I transfer clothes to that closet when they are out of season and I guess I kind of forgot to look there this year. There really isn't that much clothes. Other things are quilting/sewing things, a few Christmas things that need to be kept in the house as opposed to the garage and a few suitcases. Really nothing needed to go, but it did need to be reorganized. It was a start. I think today I will go through the kitchen cupboards to see if there are things I can get rid of and also check for any expired food items. In rereading this . . . I will get rid of the brown sugar. I don't seem to be able to keep it in the house without breaking down and making some super sweet off plan thing in the microwave too often.

Maryann I woke up on the wrong side of the bed a couple of days too. I think about how I can be a bit snappy with dh and apologize, but I make an excuse for myself and tell him I am feeling even crabbier on the inside than what he can see. I am right there with you really focusing on the food plan.
GardenerJoy I hope some one picked up the ball for you too. It seems you shoulder a lot of responsibility.
Bill You are doing such a good job eating on plan with no snacks. I know how you feel about the older body not looking young even at a lower weight. I just try to remind myself that my main goal is good health and I look pretty good with clothes on.

Waving to Penny, CurlyJax and Onebyone. Time to make my food plan for the day and eat some breakfast.

Last edited by karenrn; 08-03-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #17  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight floated back down a little, but not all the way to where I was.

The protest was peaceful because the feds have pulled back. They were seriously just grabbing people and firing gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protesters just standing there. Instead of squashing the protest, people showed up even more in response.

I had a lawyer telling me what to say and do in case I get stopped or arrested, and the representation phone number was written on my arm.

A lot of people had gas masks, helmets and a shield. But since the feds had pulled back a couple days prior, I came with only my paper mask and an athiest's prayer. I'm not sure the protest is doing anything more lately but it's wonderful to see the movement and hope for change.

Bill, protest buddies! Solidarity.

Joy, social media free days are good.

Maryann, sorry you woke up with the grumps. Maybe it will clear away like morning fog soon.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #18  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default Summing up the day

Coaches

Today was busy. I finally completed the (rough) creation of 100+ porcelain soap dishes. I only make them for one person, who I like. In exchange she never bothers me about.when she's getting them saying "I'll get them when you let me have them," and "make whatever you want I can sell anything."

A perfect client for me.

I was able to complete them as I was at the Potters'Guild for the first time since we locked down in mid-March. The Guild re-opened July 5th but I was in no rush to go. Today was good though and I was alone in there.

Foodwise I was on plan once more. Scale moved down to 278 this morning. I pictured seeing 270 on the scale, it was like a vision, and that made me super happy. My subconscious is in it to win it!

I was dismayed at the Covid news coming out of the U.S. It sounds bleak. I hope things are better than they seem or that a vaccine happens soon for us all. My sister and BIL are in Key West and with the surge in the virus and hurricane season happening well I wish she was here instead. I wondered whether Canada would allow her in. She has dual citizenship. Don't know how the authorities choose. My guess is no. Credit moi for not eating over situations I can do nothing about. I used to use anything as an excuse for extra food. Thankfully this has changed for the better.

Penny I don't know where you live. Are you in Portland? Are you in those protests? Take care and go get 'em!

Last edited by onebyone; 08-04-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Prince's "Purple Rain" album goes #1 & stays #1 for 24 weeks (1984)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Finally got to sit quietly and read the complete John Lewis' final essay, Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation. I needed some uplifting thoughts that suggest that there is a way forward. Feel like it's a bit of torture to read the rest of the newspaper these days.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was pasta salad, deviled eggs, and green salad. Just right when the temperature might have been as high as 90 degrees F. My big accomplishment of the day was to complete and send off the list of questions for our Estate Lawyer. I hate this stuff; seems so morbid. But the good news: I tried on a Polo shirt one size smaller and it fits perfectly. Dropping a few pounds did what it was supposed to do. I'm not terribly sensitive to how well my clothes fit. I notice 'tight' and 'snug' very well, but miss 'drooping' because it doesn't hurt. It just looks funny. A smaller shirt makes me look better. CREDIT moi for getting there over the last few months.

onebyone - Cheering for "My subconscious is in it to win it!" Yes, COVID news from the US is bleak these days. Interesting whether a Canadian citizen can leave Florida to go back to Canada. Gets curiouser and curiouser.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It does seem that some volunteers only wake up to pitch in when the leader disappears. Thanks for the reminder that "food doesn't help me . . ." Nope. It doesn't.

maryann - Shuddering that you'll have kids back in school next week. Our newspapers are still debating what to do.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for continuing to organize your 'stuff.' I need that encouragement.

Penny. - Yay for a weight floating down a bit. Hope the calm in your city remains.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 2

You will stick with the plan because: . . .

You won't feel as hungry as you have on other diets. The Think Thin plan satisfies hunger because, at every eating opportunity, you will consume a mixture of the following three filling nutrients.

Lean Protein: I've found time and time again that whenever dieters skimp on protein, they're ravenous between meals. Research clearly shows that consuming more protein can minimize hunger.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 27.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

We went on a last minute family trip to the beach- I am DONE with these It's physically uncomfortable for me- couldn't get the umbrella to work so too hot and I don't have the right chairs etc-and squabbling with DD. I just can't sit in the hot sun for hours anymore. Fortunately I did have Bill Bryson's book 'A walk in the Woods' with me so at least I was entertained.
Thanks for all the support with my mechanic silliness It makes me less depressed to think about potential fun things anyhow.
Today I am focused on the fact that we have tropical storm warnings with potential wind damage etc, so I am remembering to count my blessings and cross my fingers we don't have any problems. At least it should be cooler for a few days- and if I lose power I won't be able to work
I need to hustle off and do my exercises, shower and get the dishes done in case we lose power/hot water, I've left stuff pile up too long.
Wave to all!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #21  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I'm going to head out for a solo hike shortly, and then I have a friend hike planned for tomorrow.

Karen, good that you keep so organized. The clutter creep must not be so bad without me there. lol

Onebyone, yes, I am in Portland. I'm envisioning that 270 milestone for you too. You got this! Credit for all the pottery work.

Bill, that meal sounds so good! Congratulations on the weightloss and smaller size shirt.

Curly, lol at the description of your beach trip. Sorry it wasn't the happy fun time you planned for.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

I got some teammates to play along. It really did help to disappear for a day! We're meeting tonight and that's also a very good technique to bring people along. I'm going to ask someone to give me a phone call, too. With all this help, I have even less reason to use food as if it were going to help. It won't.

Exercise +35, 150/1400 minutes for July
Old 08-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Phone check in as I hop off to work. We will be virtual at least the first quarter but I need stuff from my room. The house cleaner is coming. I’ll get out of her way at the same time.

Back OP yesterday and the scale is two pounds above ticker. August is my Three Chicks Anniversary month. Feels good to be ten pounds down from then.

Wave.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #24  

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan and weight is inching back down slowly. Why or why can't it go down as quickly as it goes up? I got out for an early morning hike alone and then took Otis for a walk. No real plans for the day, but I have spoken with a couple of friends who I don't talk to often. There isn't much to talk about although one couple did get out of town for two weeks in Breckenridge. Longer note with personals tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #25  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default Bone tired and weary

Hi Coaches

Today I'm just tired. I cooked breakfast, and then made my way to the makerspace to drop off my finished soap dishes for the kiln firing While there I helped a co-worker understand how the kiln fires and what the numbers mean in the firing program (tech talk) and then I made a mistake. I forgot my new rule of behaviour for the makerspace: when I leave the makerspace I head straight home, no detours. This was a rule coupled with my problematic Saturdays, but it turns out the problem isn't the day of the week but how I feel after I leave the makerspace.

I want a treat. I want a reward. I want a time out. I want a diversion.

I ended up at a grocery store, shopping when I didn't need anything, and then buying a container of in-house salmon avocado sushi. 8 pieces. The white rice is most certainly off plan food. I had a food plan for the day and abandoned it as so much fluff.

When I got home I ate more than I planned and more kinds of food than I planned. It wasn't off plan food but it was too much food. Once more I will have sabotaged my trek through the 270's to the 260's that I was hoping to achieve this month.

Of course all is not lost. It's only Aug 4. I have closed the kitchen. While I ate more and more often, I did stop. And only one part of one item was not on my foodplan. A great improvement over past behaviour that would involve whole, large bags of snacky things, or, say, the box of butterhorns that the grocery store unexpectedly faced me with.

The sale-priced butterhorns remain in situ. I flexed my resistance muscle and they backed away.

I did have a mini NSV though. It was pouring rain and I had to go outside to get a pkg a friend was dropping off. I was wearing one of my outrageous moomoos so I looked for my rainjacket so I could just throw it on, and then I froze. I bought the jacket last fall for $5 on clearance. A size 4x. Massively huge on my body but I could hardly fit my upper arms into it without adjusting, twisting, coaxing the fabric to go on my arm and the seam to go up to the shoulder. Today it went on. I won't say I slipped into it. I can't say it wasn't snug. I can say I didn't have to push and prod the fabric to move up my arm. Progress.

Have a good evening Coaches.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-04-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:10 AM   #26  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Cornerstone for Statue of Liberty laid on Bedloe's Island (1884, NYC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the supermarket was uneventful - a good sign. It still didn't have the brand of dish soap and dishwasher detergent that we use. But the blueberries were plentiful and I bought many. Folks all wore masks and distanced. As always, the checkout clerks were slightly embarrassed when I thanked them for being there.

Dinner was inside due to the winds of Hurricane Isaiah that is mostly passing to the west of us as it heads to Montreal. We might also see little of it today. Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner's green salad contained the first large tomato from our garden. Delicious. There are more coming.

onebyone - Super Congrats for the NSV of sleeves going on more easily. And Kudos that those "sale-priced butterhorns remain in situ."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for exercising your leadership role without doing all the work yourself.

maryann - Happy tenth 3FC anniversary. May you have many more. And Congrats on those ten pounds gone forever.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at the realization that there isn't as much to talk about when we're all isolated. Inching is annoying but down is good.

curlyjax - Hope Hurricane Isaiah isn't too harsh with you since it did little to us. Neat to have a good book at the beach.

Penny. - Sounds like some good hiking going down. Always Kudos for on plan.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 2

You will stick with the plan because: . . .

Lean Protein: I've found time and time again that whenever dieters skimp on protein, they're ravenous between meals. Research clearly shows that consuming more protein can minimize hunger.

Consider the following:
  • In a University of Minnesota study of 40 people, study participants more quickly lost their desire to eat when they snacked on yogurt fortified with whey protein compared with a lower-protein yogurt. The same was true when study participants ate a ham sandwich for lunch compared with a bacon sandwich (which is lower in protein).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 28.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I got anxious about the upcoming storm but fortunately no damage was done. I would much rather deal with slow moving snowstorms than the sudden, violent wind and lightening. I feel for those folks who were hit hard by it. My legs were aching and waking me up last night so I think I need to stretch and walk more. I did wash the kitchen floor and tidy up the kitchen, and it feels great to wake up to a clean space, so hopefully that will be motivating to keep going with it. Tonight I am meeting manfriend for dinner at one of those cute outdoor places that have sprung up everywhere. He is feeling better and usually up for eating out.
Onebyone- good for you for a NSV!
Karen- I know what you mean, conversation is much more limited these days.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #28  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is the same. I didn't head out for a hike this morning cause I just didn't feel like it in the heat. I had hoped for a longer walk with Otis, but he didn't share those thoughts. We had a very short walk and then he just was done. I didn't feel like forcing him or carrying him, so we turned around and came home. I plan to do some grocery shopping today and probably some housework. Yesterday when I was talking with my cousin in CA she said "why don't you come over and we'll go to Mineral King?" OMG at first all I could think was, pack the car I'm out of here. But then I remembered that they aren't careful and that I wouldn't feel at all safe around them. I told her I would love to, but they are around too many people for me to feel safe. I know she was disappointed, but she does know we have different feelings about it. The bad thing is that she is the one with pretty significant health problems. I just try to keep thinking that I need to work to stay in some kind of shape, that it will soon be cooler so I can be outside more, and that I will have to make a plan to be out of AZ for at least a month next summer no matter what.

Curlyjax I'm glad you made it through the storm with no difficulty. I tell dh if something happened to him there would be a for sale sign in the yard pronto and I think I mean it. I hand it to you for handling your home, children and work all at the same time. Enjoy your dinner out.
Bill I can almost taste that home grown tomato. There is nothing better. Maybe I should buy a couple of plants and put them in pots. I bet they would grow here in the fall. I'll have to check it out.
Onebyone I absolutely hear you about needing a diversion. I think we all need a diversion for sure. Good for you for flexing your resistance muscle. I know it works to do that and it helps to feel proud.
Maryann It is super that you're down ten pounds and Happy Anniversary. I don't even know what month I started.
GardenerJoy Good to know that your strategy for being away for a day worked.
Penny I envy you being out hiking in wonderful temperatures and beauty. There is a part of me that wants to get in the car and head to WA. But the other part of me says that is a heck of a long drive and I don't want to be away from dh and Otis for that long.

Well onward. I need to make a comprehensive grocery list and go early. I plan to go to Costco today too. Dh is telling me about some upcoming possible shortages and I want to stay ahead of them a little bit for at least a couple of items.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #29  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I did not end up hiking but do have a nice hike with friends today. Hopefully my improved endurance allows for hiking with a mask easily, along with keeping a little distance.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 08-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

My first post from my classroom this school year. I am in good spirits and ready to take what comes.

I am going to work on my habit of eating something when I clean up from dinner. That is the next big habit for me. I was OP until I grabbed three ravioli leftovers last night. It is those consistent 150 -200 extra calories per night that are keeping me from my goal of under 160. As I look through my weight history I see that I am at the low end of a range that I have wrestled with since I was originally over 200 pounds. It will take little steps to dip the scale. I will require very few departures from the plan. Also these little steps need to be natural for me or they will not hold me beneath 160. This is what history has proven and, since I am a history teacher, I believe in its power.

KarenRN: Good Luck at Costco. I am more like your friend and less careful. I try to respect everybody when I am around people and school requires certain precautions. It is a time that requires tolerance I believe and personal decisions. My focus in my lessons with students is tolerance and acceptance. BTW, you stats say you joined in July, 2008.

Wave to everybody else.
Closed Thread