Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #166  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was not bad and weight is holding/down a smidge.

I spent all afternoon and into the late hours binging a show on Netflix and it was great! I've been unable to watch any TV for a long time and it is really nice to just shut the brain off and watch for a day. Then back to my book. I’m reading a book called Come as You Are (pun intended) about sex, and it has some really great notes about anxiety and allowing a stress event to complete its cycle instead of suppressing it (with food, in my case). I got some stressful emails from my mom and I referred to the list of ways to complete the cycle instead of eating. Beck also has something similar about writing our own list of things to do instead of eating, but there is an extra element about allowing myself to fully feel the stress and see it through to the end.

My 19yo had us shave off his waist-length hair he has neglected to the point of horrible matts. Hopefully that means he is getting close to feeling ready to join the outside world and make some plans. The pandemic has been hard on the kids.

Karen, we were so close in distance for a minute there. Too bad we couldn’t meet up for a quick lunch.

onebyone, you are doing great! Congrats on the three months.

Curly, hopefully your son finds a job soon. He sounds motivated.

Bill, amazing to still have a friend from birthing class. Someone from my birthing class works in the same hospital system as me and checked me in for my shoulder MRI. Yes, we chat about things without shame, even though we rarely see each other. Maybe the embarrassing subject of the class does have that effect. Ha!

Joy, I'm feeling ready for a social media and news free day (or week!). Good idea!

Vert, you are doing great diving into the steps and keeping track. I do think these tools made all the difference for me, and I have kept the weight off longer than the rest of the last 20 years. There is something to this cognitive behavior therapy.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #167  
Hotspur!

S/C/G: 140/140/120

Height: 5’0"

Checking in for Friday. Once again, had to change my password to get in! I left a post hoping an admin will see it and help.

So. Another awful day at work and really got to practice on strengthening my resistance to stress eating an often-craved food. All the way home I let myself fantasize about fried rice. Then drove right on past the new place I wanted to try. It's really true that a bellyful of fried rice will not change my job stress. When I got home I had my planned snack and small meal. That was my foray into Skill 6 for the day. Also practiced the first 5 Skills from yesterday.

I haven't exercised for over a year due to stress, life, etc., but have chosen to return to the warm up exercises from the book Younger Next Year Exercise Program because it's geared for bodies over 60 and I need to ease back into it. Tonight I'll make a chart of the 14 moves and post it so I'm not flipping through the book. I used to know them by heart and hope to again. Evenings here, the pavement is too hot for my puppy's feet (I can't believe people don't check that before walking a dog!) so we're not walking yet, but hope to get us to the beach over the weekend.I SO wish I could return to swimming!

Since I will mention him often, the Scottie's name is Henry Percy Hotspur. It was a fiery character from the BBC Hollow Crown version of Shakespeare's history plays. We call him Percy until he's naughty (seldom) and then we call him "Hotspur!".

Wishing everyone a good weekend for Beck and otherwise. I'll start doing call-outs here once I get in the groove.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #168  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I did eat 1 1/2 cookies off plan yesterday and it's a miracle I haven't eaten all day today. I have stayed on my plan and will. When my mil and I were talking about assisted living and finances, she informed me that my bil has spent a good portion of her money. I'm not totally surprised. He hasn't worked pretty much since she inherited a large sum or money. It is hard not to be angry that she hasn't been fair with my husband, but worse than that is the fact I'm not sure what she can afford now. I will stay and take care of her this week and also the week of 9/16 thru 9/22 and then it will have to be bil and his wife. Not that we won't come and visit, but they can quit with the vacations already. They have the room for her. I haven't had a drink since I left Arizona, but I will tell you as soon as I leave here I will have some drinks with my friends in Tacoma.

I will go to Tacoma on 9/2 and not return here until 9/16. During that time I'll also go back and visit my brother and sister in law who I dearly love and they are very comfortable to be with.

VertOlive Welcome and good job on following the Beck Skills!
Penny A lazy day sounds great. I usually have plenty of them, but right now I feel pretty darned busy.
GardenerJoy Of course our numbers in AZ were just horrible, but they are trending much better these days. I'm worried about the ASU students though. I remind myself that they aren't at my house which is where I am most of the time.
Curlyjax Yes sometimes a person has to fib a little to get a job and as you say who knows but he may be home all year.
Bill Thank you for putting the link to Lake Sacajawea in your post. It really is beautiful and lots of people walk around the lake. My Dad used to walk around it almost every day after he retired. He kept peanuts in his coat pocket for the squirrels. One time I wore his coat walking around the lake and the squirrels were come up to me. There were still peanuts in the pockets.

I'm hoping I can settle down and sleep tonight. I guess some prayers are in order.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #169  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Summing up the day

Coaches

Another day where I felt I ate too much. What's happening are my lines between meals are getting blurry. Grazing. A bit of grazing and fridge foraging going on. This must end.

Scale said 277.9 . We'll see where I am at tomorrow.

This evening DH told me he feels sick. Tummy stuff. Shivers. I made him call his sister to cancel our visit with her and her DH plus DH's brother and SIL. We can't risk infecting anyone if DH has Covid. Tomorrow he'll get a test and we should know on Sunday if he has it in which case YIKES for him and me. Our infection rate here us quite low but we are less vigilant so....

Cross your fingers for us!

Old 08-29-2020, 06:05 AM   #170  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday- Singer-songwriter George Harrison joins The Quarrymen, later Beatles (1958)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included the drugstore where I picked up a $25 item with 40% off. Love the bargain. Folks were all masked and socially spaced. Halloween candy is everywhere. I have no idea whether it will happen this year around here. Hard to envision it happening in any isolation-conscious way. My fear is that I'll buy candy for trick-or-treaters who don't show up and then eat it all myself. I'll need to be reminded as I've heard on this thread: That candy was manufactured 8 months ago; it's already stale.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. And no evening apple either since I was designated to buy some yesterday while out walking but forgot. A trip to the store to get apples is on my agenda for today. Dinner was on the patio in pleasant weather. I hold on to summer as long as possible.

onebyone - Do hope your DH's shivers are just a passing bug. Kudos for recognizing that grazing is an issue.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for that COVID spike. Just crazy. Thanks for the REAL-ID encouragement. DW has a statement from the Mass Dept of Motor Vehicles that they will ABSOLUTELY NOT be doing REAL-ID for the time being (instead allowing an upgrade later for free) and an appointment confirmation stating that it is ABSOLUTELY for a REAL-ID. It's 2020; contradictions are the new normal.

Karen (karenrn) - Sad news about the family finances. Hope you can work through that without family rancor. Love the story of your dad feeding peanuts to the squirrels.

curlyjax - Ouch for the challenges of growing up with Kudos to you for your patience as the mom.

Penny. - Interesting notion, "allowing a stress event to complete." Ouch that "The pandemic has been hard on the kids."

VertOlive - Thanks for the reminder, "a bellyful of fried rice will not change my job stress." And welcome to Henry Percy Hotspur.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 5

Most important, you will learn what to do if you relapse, as well as how to prevent a relapse in the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 31.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

It is the first morning in two weeks I have the luxury of posting on my computer in the morning while drinking coffee. I keep my work computer separate from all personal business. Teaching online means anything is up for visibility if I am not careful including pictures in my office!!! For "back to school night" I wore a school polo but had pajama bottoms on. I made sure to keep seated!!

I am happier about the curriculum going into this week. The monuments project is pretty neat-o. I was happy to see the incredible variety of historical figures the kids proposed. They chose everyone from Watson (of Watson Crick fame) to Harvey Milk. Helleman was also proposed and I didn't know him. We have a nice span through the 400 year window I permitted 1700 - 2020. Larry (the only student I have had to kick out of a GoogleMeet for a day) wins the award for the funniest. (Of course I always love the class clowns.) He proposed under the theme of reform a monument to Jesus Christ. I said not only does it not fit in the time span but it might spoil the point of the project which is to realize everyone is human He got Einstein instead. I still feel the sadness of the kids missing real school and all it offers. Nevertheless I move forward.

Weight is two pounds up from ticker.Today I begin to get back into exercise mode. I have mountains of work to correct. The two breaks I will allow myself are mowing the lawn and walking on the treadmill in the gym. 5 months and 12 days without candies, cookies, ice cream or such. I was really tempted in Ann Arbor because I was so emotional. I am glad I did not give up my streak.

VertOlive: I can't believe the pettiness of the coworker who turned you in. Credit for not eating over it.
BBE:A bowl of veggies for lunch is admirable.
gardener joy: I don't watch news. Just can't do it. I didn't even know about the wildfires so close to us until I couldn't see through the smoke. I have to process current events more now that school is in because the kids have current event projects due every other week.
curleyjax: my bold isn't working. I wonder why.
onebyone: I am averaging two pounds loss a month and have lost a total of 15 pounds so far. It makes a huge difference.
Wave to Karen in Portland.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #172  

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in. I did eat 1/2 cookie off plan yesterday but considered that a win. I haven't made my plan for the day yet, but will soon. I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner yet. I will get a good long walk in today since we don't have any appointments. Overall I think I'm doing pretty well food wise and hoping I'm losing a couple of pounds. I probably won't know until next Thursday when I go to my friend Lynne's and get on her scale.

Take care all and enjoy your Saturday!
Old 08-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #173  
Green Tomatoes

Shopping went fine and quickly because the list was shorter than recent months. Now that we're being told that surfaces are poor vectors for COVID, shopping and the aftermath are less stressful. I even picked through some items to get the best available.

I dove into Facebook this morning and had a hard time digging myself back out. I'm waiting for a response from someone. If I haven't heard by early this afternoon, I'll log off until Monday morning. It can wait until then.

Exercise +25, 1330/1400 minutes for August
Old 08-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #174  
Hotspur!

S/C/G: 140/140/120

Height: 5’0"

Good evening,

Today was a blissful whole day off. Sat in bed with coffee and puppy for as long as I wanted. Then sat on the lanai in the sea breeze with my husband while he drank his coffee. Bliss.

I can report that I've checked off the first 6 skills again today but there was a dicey moment when I returned to the kitchen after dinner and saw that my son left his hot dog buns open. I very nearly snagged one to wolf it down whole before I caught myself. That fluffy, "cheapwhitebreadthing" pushed my unconscious eating button !!! Once I caught myself in the act, it wasn't too hard to close the container and leave the kitchen--the hard part was even noticing what I was about to do.

Now that I see I need some distractions, I returned to my sewing hobby and purchased a pattern and some linen to sew a dress. Looking forward to their arrival next week. I have quite a lot of hobbies to keep me distracted but this one takes my eye at the moment. That and puppy training!

SOS: Can anyone tell me how to contact an administrator or moderator to help with my password problem?

All the best to all!

Last edited by VertOlive; 08-29-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #175  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Last Saturday of August 2020

Hi Coaches

Quick check in. I had a tough time staying out of the food today. This hasn't been a stellar week for me foodwise. As usual though (credit) I did not eat off plan but I did eat too often and I ate when not hungry. I will try to have a better day tomorrow.

Scale still 277.9.

DH went for the Covid test this afternoon. Results will come in a day or two. Crossing my fingers and toes on this. He seems to be not getting worse possibly a bit better? Not sure but I'll take not getting worse. When he's sick.he wants ornage juice. I went out early to buy fresh ornahes for juicing plus a mega thing of ready made orange juice and even some frozen cans of juice. I felt.like every orange was.coming.home with me. He was happy to have them all at hand. I also got cans.of Campbells Chicken Noodle soup. He won't eat soup in general but when sick I can get that down him. While in the soup aisle I came across a.commemkrative Campbells Tomato Soup can marking 60 years since Andy Warhol immortalized the brand. At 87cents it was a bargain commemorative item. I dont like that kind of tomato soup so it will be pristine and unopened as collectors prefer their items. Perhaps I should stick up? If I knew I had another 50 years on this planet it would be worth it. Alas, not so sure of that!
Tempus Fugit

Goodnight everyone.

Omg! Just checked ebay. There's my can of warhol special edition campbell soup! 87 cents. Perhaps I should get more? Lol

ebay auction for tomato soup can
Old 08-30-2020, 05:56 AM   #176  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - "Frankenstein" author Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley born (1797, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Afternoon snack was a small bowl of blueberries. Evening snack was a Gala Apple - available because I walked to the supermarket despite the threat of rain. I carried an umbrella in my backpack, but just let the 'sprinkles' happen without using it. On the way home, I held it in my hand but refused to unfold it because that would admit that it was sorta raining. Didn't get wet enough to need to change clothes.

The supermarket patrons were all masked and socially spaced. Since it was the weekend, there were folks about in the shopping center. A short line formed outside the "Naturals" store that sells overpriced vitamins, minerals, and other substances touted to save one from the world. I'm not a fan of the place because I think they are fear mongers. There was also a line outside of the brick-and-mortar bookstore. That made me happy to see, but sad because, in the olden days, I'd never pass without browsing a bit. This time I didn't go in. I do miss browsing bookstores.

onebyone - Thanks of the tip about Campbell Soup Cans special edition for Andy Warhol. I shudder to think what your can would contain after you saved it for 50 years, LOL. Wishing your DH well waiting for the results of his COVID-19 test.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I thought of you when I picked up one Gala Apple, looked it over, then put it back down to select a different one. It's odd to think of that as a luxury.

maryann - Congrats for getting your kids involved enough to propose real folks for statues. And Double Congrats for giving a reason that you wouldn't accept Jesus Christ as a candidate without facing the school board for religious discrimination charges.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for only being a half-cookie off in your current difficult situation.

VertOlive - Ouch for the call of the "cheapwhitebreadthing". It'd be awful to waste that call on a hot dog bun instead of a bagel or Danish pastry. [Re: SOS: I've notified the admins asking them to respond to your post in the Admin Forum about passwords. They should get back to you soon.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

I hope you are now convinced that this approach is different. The work you put in at the beginning of this program will truly pay off in the end - and the payoff never ends.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 31.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did well friday staying OP. I did plan for and eat a calzone at night; I'm eating less during the day and do find myself quite hungry at night. And a beer. And watched a movie, ah bliss! Yesterday I spent awhile making stuffed zuchini for myself only- and got terrible bloating that lasted for hours. I'm not sure if it was that dish or something else I ate earlier in the day- cherries? cereal and milk? I'm wondering if it was mild food poisoning or if I now can't eat something like mushrooms (like i can't eat eggplant anymore without severe bloating) I tossed the leftovers out, i'm not going thru that again. Very disappointing since its pretty healthy and I still have to wash the dishes
Anyhow-I slept poorly today and have no energy but I'll take a nap later. I may see manfriend later for dinner; i'm going to request something mild and easy to digest.
It's a lovely cool day with no humidity, yay!
Old 08-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #178  
Green Tomatoes

I realized that I've been ignoring my emotions for a week or two. That's about as long as I can go without finding myself eating over emotions that I refuse to acknowledge. Credit for giving myself time and space to work through them this morning. I ended up with an action plan in an unexpected direction. But, I'll take it since it doesn't involve food and does involve exercise.

Exercise +50, 1380/1400 minutes for August
Old 08-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #179  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Eating has been sort of on plan and maintenance. Weight is in the better decade and holding.

The mobile version of this site is sure acting weird. I've got a new FWB, maybe I should start calling her Womanfriend. and another first date on Wednesday. I hope I'm not being a covidiot.

30 days of yoga has finally been started. Day 2 today.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #180  

Good morning coaches,

Food was off plan at dinner yesterday. Mil was really tired after her shower yesterday and then had a low grade temp in the late afternoon. She took 3 naps. At dinner, when she was still sleeping, I had scrambled eggs and too many pieces of cinnamon swirl toast. When she got up she had a protein shake for dinner. We stayed up and watched TV and she felt pretty good. I had given her Tylenol for the low grade fever. It sounded like she was getting a cold. Of course I am imagining both of us getting COVID together. She got up this morning saying she felt good and had her regular cereal breakfast, but now feels nauseated and has just taken at least an hours nap. I've got a mask on and lots of hand washing. I'm scared to death that we will both end up sick and then I'll be with her at her house to be quarantined. Of course I won't go to any friends homes unless we are sure she doesn't have COVID. There are only 222 cases total from the beginning in her county and I did wear an N95 mask on the plane and lots of hand washing always, so it is hard to imagine, but any cold symptoms and that's where my mind goes.

Penny Be careful.
GardenerJoy Speaking of emotions, I probably had better get to journalling. I think I'm going to lose my mind if I don't sort a few things out. I don't want to eat my emotions either.
Curlyjax Cherries do me in, but then I know I eat too many of them. I hope you're feeling better.
Bill Your snacks of fruit and berries sound really healthy. I'm going to try to follow your lead.
Onebyone Yep, chicken noodle soup goes down well when a person doesn't feel very good.
VertOlive I wanted to say that your puppy is just adorable. I have a tricolored cocker spaniel, Otis, who is extremely spoiled and I am missing him terribly, probably more than my husband. At least my husband can talk on the phone. I think it's so nice that you have the sewing hobby. I did some sewing years ago, but was never very good at it. Then I did a little quilting, but I can't seem to get myself back into that either.

Well, mil is asleep in the recliner in the room attached to where I am. I'll just be hanging out today and will have plenty of time to do some planning and journalling. I hope you all have a great day!

Closed Thread