Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #76  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm aiming for an early walk again today because we're finding them pleasant. But, if we don't get going soon, we won't get that benefit.

Exercise: +60, 565/1400 minutes for July

onebyone: great to see you back! Sorry for the medical stuff absorbing so much energy recently. It sounds like you're on the road to recovery!

BillBlueEyes: I'm glad for your recovering eyes, too.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #77  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Today's exercise was just to walk Otis which we did just after 5 a.m. to beat the heat. Yesterday food was on plan and weight is holding. The food plan is made for today and not much else planned for the day other than PT this afternoon. I have gone thru two boxes of photos and memorabilia this morning. Lots of stuff is dh's and I won't discard it. His mother saved a lot more than my Mom did. I have a packet for each year in school from the first grade on. Also lots of newspaper articles and photos from when he played sports in high school. I know if I said anything about sorting them he would say "just throw them all away", but he wouldn't mean it and they don't take up much space. I did make small piles for my two brothers. I was going to take them up in the car when we go to WA, but I think it would be more convenient for them if I just mail them and they won't be much to mail.

Trying to stay on a roll with some things I want to do around the house, so personals tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:21 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Dutch painter and etcher Rembrandt born (1606, Leiden, Netherlands)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Uneventful trip to the supermarket: everyone wore masks; folks kept their distance; wanted food was available. Except blueberries. For some reason, there were NO blueberries. Fortunately, we still have some and DW will pick up more from a sale at Whole Foods tomorrow. This business of planning to acquire blueberries like a military campaign is a new one for us.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to include a stop at the drugstore to get baby shampoo to wash the eyes. My eyes haven't seen baby shampoo since ... I was a baby. Maybe not even then since it might not yet have been invented. Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. After dinner was cherries - a counted number of them since a whole bowl looked attractive.

onebyone - LOL at "watermelon weather" - that sure describes it. We share that A+ blood type that we can't change. Kudos for recognizing that weight is one change you can make. Glad to hear that you've found a way to teach in this difficult environment.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, it's that time of year when early morning is the best time to be outside.

maryann - You sent me googling for FFA pig. Look like pigs to me. I do like the pictures of kids with their pigs. I presume they haven't been told about ham and bacon yet, LOL. Neat that your scale readings meet expectations.

Karen (karenrn) - Super Kudos for dealing with boxes of memorabilia. I, too, have newspaper articles about playing football in high school. Recently, when my adult DD's picture appeared in the paper, I kept a copy for her. "What for?" she asked. Apparently, newspaper printed pictures no longer have value.

curlyjax - Yay for college stuff arriving even though it means chaos for the countdown six weeks. Kudos for writing down your plan to take a walk.

Penny. - LOL indeed at "Dramatic, much?" These days seem to call for deadly humor. Hope your doctor's appointment went well.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 1

To start out, you will learn and practice nine Success Skills adapted from the most successful dieters I've counseled. You will master these skills - such as continually motivating yourself, weighing yourself daily, eating slowly, and overcoming hunger and cravings - before you transition to the Think Thin Initial Eating Plan in Stage 2.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 25.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave everyone- I'm taking a day off and going to the beach with a friend. Its going to be sort of "cold" for summer, only in the 70s, but hopefully that will mean less folks there. We'll have a great time anyhow. Need to do my stretches and pay bills before we go so i'm off.
I did go for that morning walk yesterday so i guess the posting worked.
Penny- will be thinking of you, hope the appt goes well.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #80  
Green Tomatoes

Today's adventure is a trip to Whole Foods -- the second week of my new method of shopping every week, alternating between Whole Foods and our local chain supermarket. The question will be how much effort it takes to get two weeks worth of chicken.

Exercise: +40, 605/1400 minutes for July

BillBlueEyes and maryann: My country cousins show pigs from a very young age for 4H. I've been curious but never asked how they deal with the bacon aspect. Although I was taught the aphorism "never name something that you're going to eat", so I suspect that family wisdom is part of the process -- I just never had to apply it to an animal that I raised since we didn't have room for livestock.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I feel the glow of triumph being one more digit down. this leaves just three digits to lose to reach the sacred halls of the 50s. The 50s decade has been so illusive to me over 45 years of dieting and demoralization. I need to emphasize to myself that the decision to not order take out with Mom yesterday but to bring my pre weighed lunch made all the difference. These sacrifices are required to keep moving downward but these "sacrifices" also cause outrage at the necessary stringency. "DIETING SHOULD BE EASIER" I rail against the gods. So I have to remind myself, "Oh Well." I go back to the book The Hungry Brain and remember that the fat mice had to be fed a very low variety diet for a very long time to lower their set points. But of course it might be easier for them. They don't have as highly developed prefontal cortex to rationalize and rebel as I have.

All my food is prepared, weighed, and packaged which is a product of Pork Crisis of 2020. I have to say it is nice to not have to think about cooking,

BBE and Gardenerjoy: DH raised pigs every year. He became extremely attached to his pigs. He vividly recalls one that won him first place at the fair. He won the prize and walked the beloved pig into the butcher's van within the same hour. Often times I wonder if the cultural differences between city versus rural would be solved with a few more shared experiences like this one. Certainly city dwellers who are not vegetarians would gain respect for the process. We like to support the kids although it it is an expensive proposition. We know what the pig ate and that it had a wonderful life comparatively. I recommend Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle. I liked many things about it but I loved that it gave me insight and respect for a woman whose politics are often very different than mine.
Karen: I think I am doing great getting out of the house by 6:45. 5:00 am is a killer. I know many people who have bought scanners made especially for the purpose of archiving paper memories. I have done it but with the more ungainly process of regular scanning.
curleyjax: Oh the beach!! I am so jealous. Usually I take a beach run in summer but every place to stay is closed up here.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #82  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was a little over plan, which is good. I needed a few more calories, and weight is holding.

My hemaglobin was fine, so not anemic. Now I wait one week for an ultrasound. PT is going so well, I have my next appointment in four weeks and may be good to go by then. Yay!

Onebyone, good to see you back! 18 pounds is a nice chunk!

Bill, credit for sticking to plan. It sounds like everyone is doing the social distancing thing right in your area.

Curly, I'm still wondering how colleges and schools are even going to open in a couple months.

Maryann, poor Wilbur at the market. My kids put ham on the grocery wish list. Wah. Congrats on making it back to the 50s.

Joy, how is MIL fairing at home alone these days? No more frequent long drives to help her out?

Karen, "just throw it all away." I can relate to that! Ha! It's hard to think about possible regrets later when the purge urge hits.

Last edited by Penny.; 07-15-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #83  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was not a good day food wise. I knew ds was having a stressful day and I decided if I ate sweets it would help him out. Ds and I are quite opposite about rules. I live within the lines and he either doesn't see the lines or doesn't believe they apply to him. Anyway it was something to do with bulldozing part of his property without a permit. It will be okay and as dh would say it wasn't in my circle so I shouldn't have been worrying about it, but I'm sure you all can see how it would happen, even if he is 49 years old. On top of that I ate way too many cherries (not counting them out like Bill did). I'm lucky I didn't have a worse belly ache than I did. This morning I got up and hiked with my friend at 5 a.m. and it was ONLY 88 degrees with a slight breeze. I thought I might not feel good after the sweets etc., but I actually felt super. It was like I was super carb loaded and I went like gangbusters. Since them I've had breakfast, done a little housework and showered. I drove to the store, but started a nagging little cough and decided to drive right back home. No one wants some one coughing in the store, even behind the mask I think it's just a little irritation from the poor air quality and I'll go later on. The cough is gone. My friend is coming over in an hour to go in the pool for a bit.

Maryann I actually have a scanner ap on my phone that works pretty well although I haven't scanned too many photos. Yesterday I went through the loose photos and kept some for ds, and made piles for my brothers and a few odd photos that I'll mail to others. Congrats on another digit down.
GardenerJoy I hope the trip to Whole Foods is a good one with plenty of chicken.
Curlyjax I hope you're having fun at the beach.
Bill I have a big basket of blueberries that I'm working on. They aren't my favorite, so they last.
Penny I'm glad you're getting checked out and I hope you're feeling better soon.
Onebyone Good to hear from you. Oh the gardening sounds wonderful. I have really never been much of a gardener, but I do wish I lived in a climate where it wasn't too hot and things would grow. I have A+ blood type too. And sure enough there is nothing we can do about that, but the weight we can. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Well you all have a great day and stay healthy!
Old 07-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #84  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default An Infinitesimal Degree of Improvement

Coaches!

I decided last night that today would be perfect:
Perfect food plan
Perfect adherence to said food plan
Perfectly done dishes
Perfectly edited photos for my upcoming perfectly planned "new income stream" to help replace lost in-person sales especially over the long term

And so, at 6:24pm I can report that while I did tackle all these areas, I did not so them perfectly.

But! I made progress. Enough so that I feel at peace. I forget when I am resistant to what needs to be done, or what plan needs to be followed, that just facing reality, just moving forward, is like a healing balm for my irritable mind. And a much better solution than off plan food ever will be. The feeling simply lasts longer and is solid. Credit moi for work done today.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:38 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - J.D. Salinger's novel "The Catcher in the Rye" was published (1951)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another Wednesday without the joy of the (4.5 yo) DGD. There had been another member of the affected family that had tested positive. Good news: DD test results came back after seven days as negative - so that scare is behind us and we're on plan for next week.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to include Whole Foods to get the missed blueberries. Got them. On sale. Had to present my Amazon Prime membership to get the sale price - somehow a negative experience. I quietly slipped them into my backpack. "I'm sorry, sir, but you're not allowed to bring your own bag into the store." Seems that my use of my own reusable bags on Tuesday was at a store in the next town; rules are different town to town. I slipped out of the store as if I'd done something naughty.

Also stopped by Staples and bought pencils, erasers, and other home office supplies at absurdly low Back-to-School prices. 24 full size #2 lead pencils for $1.00. Bargains make me so very happy.

onebyone - Kudos for accepting your progress instead of perfection - that's a BIG step in Beck's world of strategies.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - While I was sneaking out of Whole Foods with blueberries in my backpack, you were doing your dance to get the amount of chicken that you needed. Fellow scofflaw, LOL.

maryann - Oh, Yes: "DIETING SHOULD BE EASIER" - so should self-isolating and trying to keep in touch with friends. Congrats on making another digit. Thanks for the story of your DH taking his beloved pig to the slaughter wagon - strong kid to do that.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for too many cherries. The good news is that cherry season is so short it would be hard to gain weight from them.

curlyjax - Yay for a trip to the beach. But in 70 degree F weather?

Penny. - Neat that your hemoglobin is just fine - one of my favorite parts of my body.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 1

Many dieters don't want to wait to start a diet because they want to start losing weight this very moment. I will give you a few minor ways to change your eating at the beginning of Stage 1. But I have found - over and over again - that it is just too overwhelming to stick to a comprehensive eating plan while still learning such essential skills as eating everything slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 25.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Nice time at the beach yesterday, although my friend seemed a bit down, we didn't giggle as much as usual.She has a lot to take care of at home and is an essential worker as well. It didn't occur to me until later that she has a better chance of being exposed to the virus, but I know she is careful, and is isolating other than work. We had to go yesterday since she had a day off and its much less crowded on the weekend. First it was cool, and then it was quite warm, warm enough to trigger hot flashes. I managed to get burned on my back even though i lotioned up twice. DD wants to go to the beach for a day next week, and I ordered a golf umbrella type thing that clips onto a beach chair, i can't sit in the sun for hours anymore. We went to DQ on the way home but other than that the calories weren't too bad. I only have a few vacation days so I savored the day, and it was worth using one for it.
Penny- our state is doing much better with virus numbers, so colleges are opening but classes are online except for things like labs. It's going to be really tough in the schools, I feel for them. Glad you're not anemic. I find myself being so sleepy these days even after I take a nap, i'm assuming its summer heat but i don't know, maybe something is going on.
Bill- 70s was fabulous at the beach yay for plans for DGD next week.
Maryann- yay for another point down. I have enjoyed Barbara Kingsolver's books, both fiction and nonfiction.
Karen- we will never stop worrying about our kids no matter how old they are! I live within the lines too, I like that expression. DH tended to like to push the lines a bit which drove me crazy
Onebyone-progress is always good!
Gardenerjoy-shopping can still be a challenge even though its a lot easier than a few months ago. My store has been out of a few wierd random things like rice pilaf and cooking spray.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #87  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

A little bike ride yesterday, and I'm planning a solo hike today. My endurance is so low and cardio is a mess, but I am ready to recondition myself. I picked up my banjo and lost my desire to read, so the depression must be lifting.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 07-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have to get into action today. Yesterday was not as productive as the other days. I am thinking of going to Tahoe tomorrow so I want to settle up a few loose ends around the house. Food Yesterday was OP. Credit for a walk this morning.

I have a big decision to make by next Tuesday. The district is asking us if we want to apply to online academy. If I move to that I'll lose a great schedule and a classroom. The alternative is a regular schedule no modifications with 33 students at least in a class. But nothing is fixed. We could go online anyway if the governor forces us. Too many variables. I need a crystal ball.

Wave to all.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #89  
Green Tomatoes

No limits on chicken at Whole Foods. Frozen seafood was limited to 3 packs (I only needed 2). Some beef products plus hot dogs had limits (but I didn't need any). It makes me almost curious enough to google news about the food supply, but I'm not sure I want to know what I'd find out.

Exercise: +25, 630/1400 minutes for July

Penny: MiL is doing better with weekly family Zoom calls. She is using occasional paid help for other needs, which means she's more exposed to other people than we are. So, we're still on call, and working to keep ourselves unexposed, in case she has an emergency that we can't expect the yard guy or cleaner/cook to handle. Although, they've been amazing, so far -- small towns can be good like that.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:33 PM   #90  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Good day

Hi Coaches

A good food day and a good work day and I even snuck a bit of weeding in. I think it's ok for me to weed now. They told me at the eye clinic I couldn't bend over or lift anything heavy for a week after the surgery. That was Monday. Still. I just sort of "test weeded"--enough to let my gardening neighbours know I hadn't abandoned the plot! One year someone ratted me out for weeds. I had to explain myself to the town. I don't want to so that again.

Late now

Bye for now.
Closed Thread