Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 06:17 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 06-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Mary Dyer is hanged for being a Quaker in Massachusetts Bay Colony (1660)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Started the day by standing with a group in support of those communities who feel threatened. I'm not a protesting sort, but felt moved to stand on this one. It was a small group of about 300 who stood at one intersection for an hour. Passing cars honked loudly in support. The community felt together.

In the afternoon, walked, CREDIT moi, with DS, his SO, and DW around the neighborhoods near our house just chatting about some of the grand architecture. They stayed for a (properly distanced) Polar Seltzer on our patio afterward; I ate two of the "biscuits" we served - an unsweet flat cookie that felt just right. It was my first daytime snack in two months. Dinner was takeout from a newish restaurant with good curries. We each ordered a curry, my lamb, her chicken; each was cooked with many veggies and served with basmati rice. We each saved half for a second meal. In response to eating more than normal, including the take out, the scale jiggled down two pounds this morning. As much as I welcome downward jiggles, I long for the feeling that reward and punishment are properly correlated.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Wishing your creativity well as you make do with what food is available. Would love to have more lettuce. We harvest without regularity.

maryann - 90 minutes a day is a bunch of exercise for day after day. Happy drive thru graduation day.

Karen (karenrn) - Food on plan is always worthy of kudos.

curlyjax - There's no such thing as "too much stuff" from an outdoor garden place. Just more work to be done.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 Begin a New Way of Life

You Will Change Your Mindset
By the time you finish the Beck Diet for Life Program, you will notice how different the "new" you is from the "old" you.

The old you thought: I have to eat this unplanned food my hostess is offering.
The new you thinks: I'll politely say, "No, thanks," because I'm entitled to stick up for myself, even if my hostess is momentarily disappointed.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 18.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

I begin the last week of school. Yesterday felt very off. DH was down which is rare. I think mailing grad notices for DS and the paltry drive by grad for nephew may have been the culprits. I struggle when he is down which is ironic because I expect him to help me when it is my turn. I am aware of my inadequacies and try to improve. I finally caught up on the sad news of the country and said some additional prayers.

Food was OP. I splurged on sashimi which was delicious and had miso soup before which is a proven weightloss tip. Soup before reduces what people consume at dinner. There is something magical in soup.

Hope all are well.

Last edited by maryann; 06-01-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday I did have an off plan snack in the afternoon and I probably could have taken a few less bites at dinner. I'm going to really have to focus on minding my hunger scale especially since my exercise will be cut back a good bit. Yesterday the day started by me not finding the form that should have come back via email when I paid for my backpacking permit. I panicked, but then decided to try to pay which it allowed. I must have missed a step or something. I now have the form even though it said it needed to be done 10 days from notification. Next, my car wouldn't start. Batteries don't last long her in our heat. AAA couldn't do it because they say BMW won't give them the code they need for once the battery is installed. I guess they used to do it cause AAA did install the last battery. Anyway it wouldn't start this morning and now AAA will tow it about one mile to the shop. Of course the protests and ensuing violence are so upsetting for all of us and on top of the COVID. Lastly, I learned late yesterday afternoon that a physician that was the medical director for the Palliative Care Team I was on for 8 years died in a tragic accident at her vacation home in Mexico. I will say it put my personal annoyances in perspective.

Maryann I will have to admit I'm glad my husband doesn't get down often. I do count on him to be my rock. Sashimi sounds excellent and doesn't sound like a splurge to me, except maybe the cost.
Bill I bet it felt good to be able to stand in support. I just can't believe the mess we seem to be in and I guess have been in. I knew it had been a long time since you've had a snack. Incredible! And I'm so glad the scale jiggled down. It would be easier if it always seemed to be cause and effect, and it may be, but the causes sometimes are difficult to discern.

Waving to all others!
Old 06-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

I've been off plan and gave myself a talking to.

Bill, thanks for starting the new month. Good for you, joining the protest. The police are really doubling down with more unprovoked violence everywhere, proving the whole point of the protest.

Maryann, I am going to try the twice a day weigh-ins. Yay for the last week of school!

Karen, that's frustrating about the battery. I'm glad you got the hiking permit secured.

Last edited by Penny.; 06-01-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

Today's shopping glitch was that Whole Foods limited customers to seven pounds of chicken. I successfully went a whole month without shopping at Whole Foods, but it takes more than twice that amount of chicken to pull that off.

I had to decide if I was a better citizen to accept that limit. Or, since I really was buying just enough to space out my trips to the store, if I should go in for a second and third time to get enough. I split the difference and went in a second time. We'll either get creative with some fish dishes or I'll top up my chicken at the local grocery store in two weeks.

The most stressful part of that was picking through packages to make sure I got the most pieces for the seven pounds that I was allowed to buy. On the first trip, I got a 3.98lb value pack of thighs, a 1.51 pack of split breasts, and 1.48 small pack of thighs. I trained myself to not pick through packages a couple of months ago and, now, I didn't really have a choice.

Weigh-in: N/A Exercise: +75, 1520/1400 minutes for May
Old 06-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in Westminster Abbey (1953, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. That includes ignoring the few "biscuits" sitting in a clear plastic container on the kitchen counter. Feels good to have eaten the ones that I did and now be back on track. Dinner was the leftover takeout curries. I didn't finish mine - leaving enough for a lunch, not a dinner. That makes 2.5 meals from one restaurant ordered meal. I could have eaten the whole initial serving, but chose not to do that. Some of it is just not eating as much food these days, and some of it is using the strategy to stop when satisfied - not when stuffed. DW made spinach to go with it - more veggies always makes it easier to eat less entree.

Excitement was cleaning the bathroom sink drain from being partially clogged. When I reinserted the stopper it went all the way down and ignored the lever to go back up. Problem. It fits tight enough to hold water. I tried every instrument I could think of to slip under its edge and pry it out. Finally, DW cut apart a plastic blueberry container and managed to slip the sharp edge under. The trick is to properly rotate the stopper 90 degrees so that it engages the up-down lever in the pipe. Have no idea why this hasn't happened to me before in my entire life of removing sink stoppers to clean out the drain. Great to be still learning. After we were all done, I thought of the trivial solution of using a suction cup; that would have easily allowed the stopper to be pulled up. If DW hadn't succeeded with the prying technique, I do hope that I'd have thought of the suction cup solution before calling a $150 plumber.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hadn't heard of the Whole Foods limit on chicken. Amazing that your total was 6.97 pounds of chicken out of your allowed 7.00 pounds. Good geeking, there. We're all into strange patterns during the crisis.

maryann - Sashimi with miso soup must be the greatest way to boost the spirits. There is, indeed, "something magical in soup."

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for a picky AAA when your battery is in need. I didn't know about the BMW battery code issue. Glad the backpacking form issue is resolved.

Penny. - Kudos for "gave myself a talking to." Hope you paid more attention to yourself than your teenagers probably do, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:

By the time you finish the Beck Diet for Life Program, you will notice how different the "new" you is from the "old" you.

The old you thought: I can eat on the fly.
The new you thinks: NO CHOICE. I have to take the time I need to buy food, prepare it, and eat it slowly, enjoying every bite.
. . .
Old 06-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I have not been sleeping well for about 5 days and I would like to think its anxiety etc but I have a feeling its due to menopause. I've been reading up and hormones affect sleep too- oh geez just what I need. Sunday I did a ton of activity- hour long walk with a friend, hour long gardening, plus shopping, cooking and cleaning up. I should have been exhausted at night but I still work up almost every hour, and it isn't from night sweats although my body temp does seem going back and forth. This can NOT be the new norm, I can take a short nap now during my lunch hour but that only works for right now.
Anyhow- yesterday was frustrating with the work laptop's internet not working in the morning and then in the afternoon. I have a feeling I will have to go into my agency to have it looked at. Maybe it will have magically fixed itself overnight.
I'm donating blood tonight so need to remember to drink lots of water. I haven't done this in eons so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Gardenerjoy- I haven't heard of chicken being limited by poundage either, interesting.
Maryann- maybe the reality of DS leaving home is hitting DH. Assuming colleges actually start in the fall- I PRAY they do
Karen- that is a lot of bad stuff to happen in one day, but glad the permit worked out. Sorry about your former colleague, that is very sad.
Penny-I need to give myself a talking to also!
Bill-yay for figuring out the drain, we are indeed always learning!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

DH's down got to me yesterday. I also know I was upset about all the violence. Being an emotional eater, I found myself prowling the kitchen all day, full fangs out. I did not break my sugar abstinence but I ate far more of the "yellow light" foods than I have in weeks. OA suggests dividing foods into red light, yellow light, and green light foods. Red foods are an absolute "no." For me that is sugar and nut butters. Yellow lights can be problematic and green lights never initiate cravings. I ate about 800 calories over what I usually do and the scale showed a two pound gain. I know mentally that I did not gain two pounds. So today is the most important day of all. I am in this for the long haul. I am following this program for the summer to see if it works. I need to get back into the center of the abstinent wagon, so to speak. Food is planned. It is a busy day with Drs. appts, cleaning out my classroom and other errands. So I put my new favorite Matcha Smoothie on the plan for one meal. If all I have been implementing in the past few weeks is valid, I should be able to ride this hiccup through.

gardenerjoy: No chicken rationing yet but we'll see at the store today.
BBE: There is a lot of satisfaction to be had from fixing little things.
Karen: I know that panic feeling of getting all the permits together.
curleyjax: Good Luck with the lap top.
Penny: Yes. I started the twice a day weighing as well. I will be curious to know if it leads to compulsion or not. Just following the science for right now.

Last edited by maryann; 06-02-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

It's weirdly hard to plan meals ahead of time when we're all stocked up -- we could have anything! And since none of our suppers require a start earlier than 4pm, we may not decide what until then.

Fortunately, what we have for supper doesn't have to impact my choices earlier in the day. I can make a healthy plan, right now, that will accommodate any supper we might make. Off to do that....done!

Weigh-in: N/A Exercise: +35, 35/1400 minutes for June

curlyjax: Sorry for your sleep troubles. A lot of people are experiencing that right now.
As a lifetime insomniac, I have lots evidence-based ideas. But, of course, the ones I use are the ones that worked for me (and may not for other people). It's been a big experiment with me as the only test subject who matters. Plus, what works best changes over time. I've been surprised that in the last couple of weeks, I've started getting to bed by 10pm because my body wants to be up by 6am. I suspect that it's just because we're in the longest days of the year and sunrise is so early.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and the twice daily weigh-in did keep me locked in to weightloss reality in the evening, but maybe because I was already motivated.

Out of character for me, I downloaded a romance novel from the library. First one, and I'm waiting for the sultry sex scenes. I hope my books on hold come in soon. Lol
Old 06-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I just got home from the gym. I wouldn't have thought about going so soon except that I know it is where I will have to get my exercise once I've had surgery. Anyway, it felt just fine at least for today because there were so few people there and they have every other machine in use which is pretty good distancing. Also you don't face one another on a machine. I think there were a total of 6 people there in a very large room. I did 40 minutes on the elliptical and then 20 minutes on the treadmill with the incline up varying degrees. I probably won't go tomorrow before surgery cause I won't be able to have any water after midnight and then I'll see how soon I can get back to it. I know I'll have stitches for two weeks and I don't know how long I'll have a splint. Food was on plan yesterday and my plan is made for today. I did get a new battery in my car and it works like a champ again. I guess if you get a new battery in a BMW (probably other vehicles too) if some codes aren't put in a bunch of electronics can get messed up that can run about $1000 per electronic gadget. Not something I would want to mess with.

Penny I've weighed at night occasionally, but it can be up to three pounds more depending upon what I eat and drink. I'm afraid it would make me want to cut back on my liquids. I'll let you and Maryann let me know how it goes.
GardenerJoy I also find it difficult to plan supper when there are so many choices to choose from, but I often have to get something out of the freezer.
Maryann I give you big time credit for not having any sugar and have all the faith in the world that you will get back on your plan.
Curlyjax Trouble sleeping is no fun. Usually I do okay, but on occasion I will take half of a Costco sleep aid if I have a number of sleepless nights in a row. I have less of a hangover with that one than anything with Benadryl. I know it isn't good to use any of them routinely, but sometimes it gets me back on track.
Bill I'm glad you could get the bathroom sink issue resolved. I had dh clean the drain in the shower I use and there was a small animal down there (my hair). It was gross and it sure drains more quickly now. Your curry sounds really good. I'm not sure how well I'll be doing with cooking at first, so maybe carry out curry will be on the menu. Luckily we have lots of restaurants near by. We may just have to try more of them.

I'm feeling so sad about the country, but then my co-worker friend on top of it. She was about 62 and really larger than life. She was a pain specialist who made the end of life for many cancer patients more bearable. Not only that she taught physicians from all over the country how to help with pain including using implanted intrathecal pain pumps. The members of the team I was on are having a Zoom happy hour on Friday and it will be good to get together.

Take care everybody and stay safe and healthy!
Old 06-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Aretha Franklin's "Respect" reaches #1 (1967)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Arrived at the supermarket at 7am to enter with no line and a lightly shopped store. Found almost everything on my list. Shelves seemed amply stocked. During my afternoon walk, CREDIT moi, I wandered past the place where I get my hair cut to see what the protocol was for an appointment. Walked right in; sat in the chair; got a haircut. Seems like a miracle after three months. I held my face mask with my hand so that it didn't interfere with my ears. Also discovered a new set of streets that I'd never traveled. Seriously isolated set of a dozen modest bungalows. One had a table out front marked FREE. Got some books for the DGD. What a find.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. It included finishing off the leftover ravioli from a week ago. My take is that the pasta part was feeling a tad rubbery, but edible. The "biscuits" still sit in a clear plastic container on the kitchen counter. Not about me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Interesting to face the burden of having the ingredients to make anything on your repertoire.

maryann - Kudos for "knowing" that you did not gain two pounds. It's a challenge to get our brains to think logically about scale readings.

Karen (karenrn) - Best wishes for your surgery today. And Kudos for returning to the gym. Must be odd working out with so few people around.

curlyjax - Hope that sleep returns so you can have a full energy day. Kudos for donating blood during these odd times.

Penny. - Strange aspect of our odd times - reading a bodice ripper. My current library books are marked as not due until June 30. That's a long wait for my library addiction.

Readers -
Quote:

The old you thought: There are "good" foods and "bad" foods. I should never have a bad food.
The new you thinks: I can eat a favorite food, in a reasonable portion, as often as once a day.
. . .
Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I did not get to give blood because in the pages of material they gave me, there was a question that asked- did you spend 3 months or more in the UK between 1980-1996? I was lucky enough to spend a trimester there in 1986 for college. I could not remember on the spot from 30 years ago how long exactly it was. Was it indeed 12 weeks, or was it 11? Would a week or two really matter? Could I be harboring mad cow disease in my blood for 30 years and not know it? The young girls there- who hadn't been born when I went on the trip-were like, maybe you made a scrapbook or something with the dates.Sadly I did not, and I'm not sure I can locate the paltry photos I took from that trip. I'm in contact with someone else who went on the trip- I'll see what she remembers, and what she would do. I don't like to lie, but this seems ridiculous when there is such a need for blood.
Anyhow- my work laptop DID magically work again, I DID make banana bread once again, and I DO need to get back on track. I'm feeling a little silly this morning
Karen-good luck today! The gym sounds very manageable, glad they are taking precautions. I'm optimistic most of us won't get as many colds this year with all the masks etc being worn.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #15  
Green Tomatoes

I'm taking a day off social media and news -- an exercise that includes waiting 24 hours before I know the results of local elections. I'm able to do this most Sundays, but usually have things to monitor on week days. So, I don't want to miss this rare opportunity to take a break during the week, even if it makes me feel ill-informed for a day. The productivity and deeper breathing that come from a day away are worth it.

Weigh-in: N/A Exercise: +65, 100/1400 minutes for June

curlyjax: I understand the disappointment of not being able to give blood. I was 23 when I was diagnosed with a lymphoma. I was already a multi-gallon blood donor, by then, starting in my small town at age 16 and continuing through college. And, 35 years later, I'm still not allowed to donate. I'm over it now, but I used to really miss it. There's a mild high that I got from it, mostly emotional but a little physical, too, and it was many years before I didn't have a jolt of yearning every time I heard about a blood drive.
Closed Thread