Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #136  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Here I am checking in during my social media break -- a bit later in the day than usual. That's because I was playing with wet paint and the stopping points aren't very clear to me yet. I just decided to put it all away for today and play with dry media, maybe for the rest of the break, but I'll let that be a day-to-day decision.

We have thunderstorms predicted this afternoon so DH and I just negotiated to have an early lunch and a walk after that. We're grateful for a couple of days of sunshine after many days of clouds. I was worried about mid-80s temperatures after such a cool spring, but they have felt great! I think it's because we don't yet have our summer humidity.

Weigh-in: NA kgs Exercise: +25, 1020/1400 minutes for May

curlyjax and karenrn: Ice really helps my back and most other muscle and joint problems. Also, naproxen (I think the brand name is aleve). For me, a focus on the reduction of swelling (even if I can't see it) is the fastest path to relief. Sometimes, faster than I imagine when the pain begins. Sending healing energy, curlyjax!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #137  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Memorial Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, around another section of town. Found two Tesla Model 3 electric vehicles - always makes me happy to find them about. In two locations, a small group of students gathered around their grill. They seemed properly socially-distanced from each other, but having a good time. One garden was so colorful that I took pictures to show DW. I'm learning that there are more serious gardeners than I had imagined.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner salad greens came entirely from our community garden. The Arugula bites back - a real treat. After dinner snack was yet another half of a California Navel Orange. It was sweet; due to a less sweet batch we had thought the season must be over. Wrong! A peach was included with breakfast added to my banana, strawberries, and almonds as well as the blueberries in my cereal. Grateful to be able to eat like a king every day - even during COVID-19.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love the sounds of thunderstorms - when I don't have to be out in them. We're having some warm days here mixed with days that DW brings the still-in-their-pots tomato plants into the kitchen overnight.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the advice that starts out with "Get aware of current thinking and actionable patterns" - sounds good to me. That's pretty close to a hawk grabbing its prey. Glad that Otis was safely in your car.

curlyjax - Ouch for the bad back; may it get its act together - you need a working back.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 Begin a New Way of Life

On the Beck Diet for Life Program . . .

Researchers have demonstrated that Cognitive Therapy works for eating disorders - and for weight loss. In a Swedish study of 54 women, participants who enrolled in a Cognitive Therapy weight-loss program for just 10 sessions lost an average of nearly 19 pounds, compared with an average of just 1.5 pounds for study participants who received advice about exercise and other weight-loss behaviors but did not learn essential Cognitive Therapy techniques.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 17.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My back feels a bit better today, thanks for the good wishes everyone. I couldn't do all the back exercises but was able to stretch. I really need to get a better recliner at some point when we can all shop more easily. I don't have a good set up for a desk either, which I should address at some point.
I have just signed up for a reduced 3 month membership for Half sized Me; online community support and program from someone that lost 170 pounds and has kept it off 6? years. I need something new to get me going. It's 45 bucks well spent if I actually use it While I am working from home I do have some extra time so I can put it to good use.
Bill- I'm confused- do you have a community garden as well as a garden in your back yard? You DW always sounds so busy outside!
Gardenerjoy- ice is indeed helpful. your painting sounds very fun!
Karen-that PNP course sounds very good. Yay for drinks on the patio, some normalcy returning!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #139  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's thunderstorms came a bit earlier than I expected -- although we really just got thunder and no rain until evening. I kept an eye on the radar and we managed a walk at one of the less threatening times.

Today, we're expecting heavy thunderstorms at the time we would usually walk (between 2pm and 4pm), so I just talked DH into a morning walk. That will give today a bit of a holiday air, just to change up the routine.

Weigh-in: -0.2 kgs Exercise: +75, 1095/1400 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: DH went out during the worst of the rain because the gutters were running over. He has a trick he does to blow out the drain pipe with the leaf blower, but it works best when there's water running through the pipe to sweep out the clog he dislodges. My job is to be waiting with a towel and dry shirt. And, an expression that clearly says, "there has to be a better way." But, he swears this is it.

curlyjax: I recognize that need for something new. I have gone through periods where I changed my diet plan every three or four months just to keep thinking about things differently. Although I understand the advice to choose something that you can stick to and stick to it, I needed a lot of experimentation to figure out what that is. And, even though I'm sticking to something pretty well now, I think it's helpful to be open to the notion that there are still ways that I can improve things to make them easier for me -- among other reasons, I don't like feeling trapped.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #140  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and the food plan is made for today. It does include pizza and salad for dinner. I hiked Bell Pass this morning at 5 a.m. with a friend who hadn't done it before. It was strenuous for her even without an extra ounce of weight, so of course I felt good that I have continued my hiking and I'm pretty darned strong . . . at least my legs. My friend who is here visiting didn't get up until after I got home from my hike, so that worked out just fine.

GardenerJoy I'm glad you can find times to walk in between the showers.
Curlyjax I agree sometimes we just need something new for some additional motivation. It takes many things to keep me on course and I'm just fine with that. I have all of you and also have an accountability group with my local PNP gals. We use both daily sharing of our plans on text as well as talk to each other on the Marco Polo ap. I've made some nice new friends too and I can't wait to see them once we can gather again. I'm so glad your back is better. I hope your working at home situation is not a problem with your back. I have heard of many who say they don't have a good spot at home to do their work.
Bill We are so fortunate to have the food available to us to eat the way we do. All your fruit sounds delicious. I've got a mango that I'd better work on soon.

Waving to all the others and I hope you all are having a good day!
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #141  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Still on plan and weight is holding.

My work weekend is finished and I'm not sure what to do today, so I guess I'm still feeling blah. I started a Virginia Woolf book and have to pick up a few cucumber plant starts from my mom.

Speaking of gardening, I put a couple extra cabbage plants in deck pots and the expirement failed. Weeks later the garden bed cabbage is huge and the pot plants are the same size they were in the beginning.

Curly, sorry about the back pain. That is not fun.

Bill, that's great you are already getting some garden bounty. I have parsley and chives and that's it. We need some sunshine!

Karen, you're living the life! Credit for the hike and creating such a good support system.

Maryann, I hope you are having a nice holiday in Tahoe.

Joy, I really can't wrap my head around a four hour zoom meeting. Although it would be a wonderful time killer on a long flight. all about perspective.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Check in.

I’ve had a great time hear with the boys. DS has been a good sport about hiking with me. I tried a new trail that was beautiful in Squaw Valley but turned back when it became boulder climbing. I will try again when I am in better shape. Just talking with DS is making it worth it. I feel my time is limited.Four wheeling with DH has been fun as well.

I have been listening to my book and continue to add tips for creating my evolving food plan. Penny is on the right track with veggies. Four servings of beans a week can lose a total average of six pounds in a year. Also, I’m going to shoot for a 20% fat diet with 50 grams of protein and the rest of the carbs from fruits, veggies and whole grains.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by maryann; 05-25-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #143  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - First American woman in space, Sally Ride born (1951, Los Angeles)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Leisurely walked, CREDIT moi, around Mount Auburn Cemetery with DW, both adult kids, one spouse, and the (4.5 yo) DGD. All socially spaced at all times. The DGD could be said to be socially spaced much of the time. It's hard to control a rocket ship, LOL. She showed all her favorite places to her aunt and uncle with the air of a lady who knew where she was and assumed that on one else had ever been there. Her secret bench. Her favorite rock that she'd climb and look like about to fall to her death. The weather was perfect. All visitors were respectful; most were planting flags at the graves of veterans.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was leftover lentil soup so cleanup afterward was easy. I had a 2.5 hour Zoom meeting in the evening. When we had met in person, it was easier to get folks to move along since we all had to drive home. On Zoom, some folks think like we all have the rest of the evening to dawdle so the meeting goes along to its maximum pre-set ending time. Still much to learn in this new Zoom life.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love the image of your DH cleaning the drain pipe with a leaf blower. And even more you standing with a "there has to be a better way" expression. Kudos for timing your walk around the thunderstorms instead of avoiding it.

maryann - Yay for good talks with your DS. I do like food plan perspectives such as "can lose a total average of six pounds in a year" to remind me that the daily weight isn't the long-term goal.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL that you made it home from your walk before your house guest even got up. Glad that you have a pizza place open for customers.

curlyjax - Congrats for taking the step forward signing up for Half sized Me. When you get around to buying a new recliner, get one for me, too; I'm still using the one we bought for DW to use while nursing our now 37 year-old DD. It's a tad saggy. Yes, DW has the yard around our house as well as a ten by ten community garden in a nearby city park. She is a busy gardener.

Penny. - Yep, a little sunshine is what all our gardens need. Love the thought of cukes getting ready to be planted. When cukes are abundant from our garden is one of my favorite times to be creative making the dinner salad.

Readers -
Quote:

A year and a half after the end of the program, the participants in the Cognitive Therapy group maintained most of their weight loss (keeping off an average of 13 pounds), whereas the non-Cognitive Therapy group gained weight, ending up heavier than they were before the study began.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #144  
Green Tomatoes

We ended up walking twice yesterday because the rain didn't materialize until late afternoon and it was only a drizzle, then. There was a squall line just west of us most of the day, but it moved north (instead of the usual east) so we didn't get any of those storms, although we heard them sometimes.

Weigh-in: N/A kgs Exercise: +100, 1195/1400 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: We've managed to end our book club on time by reminding everyone that if we were at the library, right now, we'd be hearing the closing announcement. Since our meeting is hosted on a library Zoom account with a librarian host, we have the same motivation -- don't make the library employees stay late on our behalf. Unfortunately, our usual invitation to continue chatting on the front steps of the library doesn't have a virtual equivalent.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #145  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I planned for 2 or 3 pieces of thin crust pizza and had 2. I often overeat when company is here so I am extra proud that I stuck to my plan. Today I've taken Otis for a walk and won't be hiking myself. I'll get back to it tomorrow once my friend has gone home. I'm not sure what we'll do today except buy some allergy pills for her and go in the pool for a bit.

GardenerJoy Very nice that you didn't have rain after all.
Bill We actually do have some restaurants open here, but we aren't keen to go. We picked up the pizza and brought it home. I've heard from my friend who has gone out to dinner twice that the conditions from restaurant to restaurant vary greatly. I think dh and I feel like we know we have some risk from work for him and grocery store for me, but we aren't inclined to increase the risk just now just to eat at a restaurant. Unfortunately it is getting to hot to eat at most of the restaurant patios already, which would have been much safer.
Maryann Your weekend sounds very fun. I always love having younger people around to go hiking with (such as my niece who hasn't been here in awhile).
Penny I'm glad you finished your work weekend and made it through and that you've been able to stay on your plan. Now if you could just get some sunshine. In looking at Longview, WA where my brother lives it looks like a sunny day tomorrow. I hope you get that too.

Waving to everybody else and I hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by karenrn; 05-26-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am about to begin work from up at Tahoe. The boys left early this morning. My motivation is seemingly low but I really don't have much to complain about. I'm very luck to have this flexibility.

Food has been OP all weekend. I have been fiddling with amounts which will reach my fiber goal of 35 grams and 20% fat. The scale up here hasn't moved but that is very familiar. I do so much more exercise here and with the elevation, I am always lucky if I stay stable on the weight. My first goal is to give this new overwhelming plant based form of eating a month to see if the book's promises manifest. I have a giant book of veggie recipes I was given by a friend last birthday that I haven't touched. This summer's goal is to start diving into it. DS is on board. He loves veggies. DH is willing to eat anything I put before him but veggies are not his thing. Summer should be a perfect time with all the fresh veggies available here in the central valley.

Karen: Enjoy the pool.
BBE and Gardenerjoy: I just had a book club meeting last night. A good reminder to stop comes from the only one of us in the East coast who needs to get dinner on the table.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #147  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was a smidge overbudget but still within weightloss range and weight is down a little.

The dentist appointment reminder came through and I am cancelling that. It does not feel like a good time to start that up yet, though we could certainly use a thourough cleaning. Wah.

Sunny days are coming to my area again this week but it still looks dark and damp out this morning. Looking forward to it!

Joy, thanks for the new-to-me squall line reference. Credit for the two walks.

Maryann, that's so great you got some quality time with ds. I miss that so much with my three boys. Credit for the hike!

Bill, your family day at the cemetary sounds nice. Dgd sounds like a character.

Karen, credit for not going overboard with the pizza! Enjoy your relaxed day at home.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Golden Gate Bridge opens San Francisco to Marin County, Calif., (1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to yet another section of town - some parts that I've driven by many times but couldn't observe closely. Found another Tesla as well as more gardens. DW's theory is that we have more attractive gardens around here than in the neighborhoods of our New Jersey relatives because our yards are so much smaller. She'd feel overwhelmed if faced with a full acre of property to garden. The short exercise was a trip to the supermarket before breakfast. Arrived at 7:05 am with no waiting to get in. Left at 7:25am and there still wasn't a line to get in. Was fun to zip around the store as one of the few folks inside. Everything on my list was available.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner of grilled salmon, spinach, and corn-on-the-cob on the patio was bliss. Our little gardens are nearing their peak; nothing looks old or finished for the season. The Robins continue to feed their two chicks; the second one is now visible. It's painful to realize that it won't survive if it can't compete with its dominating nest buddy. They seem to better accept that we live here also. Pretty dumb to build a nest in the crook of the large wooden bracket of our back door.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - When we have predicted rain that doesn't materialize I hear about it at dinner from a disappointed DW. Today was disperse-tomato-plants day. She had planted more seeds than she needed under her indoor grow lights to be sure to have enough knowing the success rate. For some reason, she uses a packet of seeds for two years - despite their infinitesimal low cost. She has now potted enough for our two kids, and two friends with one plant of each variety left over. I never cease to be amazed that each little seed produces a large plant that yields dozens of tomatoes. Magic every single year. Thanks for the tips on ending a Zoom meeting.

maryann - A whole book of new veggie recipes sounds fun.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for sticking to your plan for that pizza. We've only once done the pickup thing; also aren't ready to take the risk to sit down inside.

Penny. - My next dental cleaning appointment is in two weeks. It's currently cancelled. I've got mixed feelings about going into their closed office.

Readers -
Quote:

A previous study by the same Swedish researchers of 105 men and women determined that study participants in a Cognitive Therapy group lost an average of 18 pounds over 10 weeks and continued to lose weight after their counselling sessions ended, losing an average of 22 pounds in 18 months. Participants who were not in the Cognitive Therapy group gained an average of 5 pounds during the same period.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I was feeling too glum to post yesterday. A little better today. I have made an appointment for my hair dresser late friday, I am taking the chance. And I am letting DS go off for a few days to a cabin with a family whom I trust. we've all been quarantining for two months, and he's gone for many SD walks with this kid. They're not going to see anyone else so I really don't see how there could be any harm done. The hairdresser is probably riskier- i may rethink that one.
I cancelled the Half Size Me; after looking at it more thoroughly I realized its a lot of lengthy podcasts and doesn't have any kind of structure, which is what I need. I'll go back to my bookshelf for inspiration instead.
It's going to be 90 degrees here, ugh. I'm not sleeping well, I hate waking up and feeling tired all ready. Bleagh. Wave to all
Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #150  
Green Tomatoes

We took two walks again, yesterday, anticipating rain that didn't arrive when expected. That's probably not going to happen today since it looks like it will rain all morning. We'll have to see if we can catch a clear time that's predicted in the early afternoon.

We ate leftovers for supper last night. That's a nice break from cooking all the time. Plus, I got to have a favorite meal that DH doesn't like at all.

We had to give up on the film A Hidden Life. It's beautiful, but very slow and very long. We tried it two nights in a row and got two thirds of the way through, but couldn't hack it until the end. Oh well. It meant we got to bed early two nights in a row and that's definitely helped with my sleep deficit. I resist that obvious way of getting more sleep -- go to bed earlier -- but it really works if I do all my usual bed time routines and listen to a sleep meditation.

Weigh-in: N/A kgs Exercise: +70, 1265/1400 minutes for May
Closed Thread

Tags
weight loss aids, weight loss fast