3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/318609-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-march-2020-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 03-01-2020 05:27 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

BillBlueEyes 03-01-2020 05:28 AM

Sunday - Congress authorized creation of Yellowstone National Park (1872)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - We watched another movie last night: (2018) Sorry to Bother You. I lasted about the first hour. It's called "dark" - "depressing" is a better word. Just couldn't get into seeing scenes over and over that were painful to watch. ETA: I just read the Wiki synopsis. So glad I didn't watch the whole movie. It just gets more so.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including no snacks. (Actually, I have a half orange after dinner; I can call that one snack. But I had no peanuts or tree nuts. Those are what kill me.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for three hours at a bakery without succumbing to the odors of fresh baked goods.

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like a fun cookbook. Not dying is a good goal.

Penny. - Congrats for getting those two boys into the community college classes.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 11 When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

Lowest Achievable Weight Versus Your Lowest Maintainable Weight

At some point, though, you'll stop losing weight and it will no longer be sensible for you to decrease your caloric intake or to increase your exercise. You've reached your Lowest Achievable weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 272.

curlyjax 03-01-2020 09:01 AM

I've had a busy couple of days. Thursday night I went out for a dinner with other widows, some whom I had met before but most not. It was very nice to talk to other folks that "speak my language" and I didn't overdo it on the food. Friday night I went over to manfriends and he cooked me a nice healthy dinner and we watched the movie Judy. And last night I went out with to a "tribute" concert to singers like Dean Martin, Bobby Farin and Louis Armstrong- the latter who was really good and sounded just like him. The show was a bit cheesy but I went with my friend from college who is very giggly and we act like 18 year olds when we're together, so it was really fun. She's the only friend from college that lives anywhere near me so I treasure her friendship.
A few days ago I was eating wayyyy too much junk, getting into the Easter candy already, ack. Those cadbury eggs and chocolate bunnies call to me, since its a particular taste that you can only get this time of year. I wish I didn't like junky chocolate!
Bill-I'm with you on depressing movies, what is the point. It was really interesting what you posted about smell and taste the other day.
Penny- great that you got the boys registered, that stuff can take ages.
Gardenerjoy- great job at the bakery!
Karenrn- hope you find some good recipes in that book. I found I have cut down on the red meat I’m eating after DH died, but I do crave a good steak every now and then.
Maryann- that breakfast sounds good. I need a big hearty breakfast in the cold months but I could probably do yogurt mix in the summer when I’m not so hungry.
Got to get going- I haven’t been to church in awhile and am looking forward to seeing folks.

gardenerjoy 03-01-2020 09:14 AM

For the second day in a row, I skipped a planned lunch out in favor of a later and healthier lunch at home. That works nicely!

I met my exercise goals in February -- always worth celebrating!

Exercise: +40, 1205/1200 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that reads the Wikipedia synopsis of a movie that we gave up on. I almost always decide it was the right choice. We've given up on a lot of movies, lately. We enjoyed Jojo Rabbit, although I was skeptical, and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, although DH was skeptical. Neither were what we expected.

curlyjax: I was listening to Pandora while I read your post and Louis Armstrong came on -- Sweet Lorraine. Fund!

maryann 03-01-2020 12:56 PM

Good Morning, Coaches.

A once in a lifetime evening last night. DS performed Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with the community orchestra. It was electric if I do say so myself and people jumped to their feet at the end. He had the whole piece memorized and was teasing the orchestra the whole time by speeding up and slowing down during crucial parts - all of which Gershwin fully intended for the piece. I have never been prouder. We also heard that he was accepted to University of Michigan. It is wonderful that a kid who has worked so hard is seeing the fruits of his labors. I didn't invite anyone on purpose because then I become a hostess rather than an audience member (character flaw.) yet many of my friends showed up and it was wonderful to share it all with them.

Yesterday I went into phase two of my plan to actually lose weight. I reintroduced smoothies. I felt hungry in the afternoon which is a major victory. No weight loss yet but I am on the move. Leaving right now to the gym.

BBE and Gardenerjoy: Totally agree that I will read the synopsis rather than endure a downer. Life is too short.
Curleyjax: My sister and I calculated malted milk balls. 10 pts for 8 pieces. Totally not worth it. I am keeping to BBE's rule of rare and unusual and remembering all we say here about manufactured food designed to be addictive.
Penny: Good luck on today's work day and congrats with the registration.

karenrn 03-01-2020 01:28 PM

Good morning coaches,

I just got back from an easy hike with a friend who I don't see often. She is just delightful and it was so fun to visit the whole time. Food was on plan yesterday but weight was up .2 today. I did have a Crumbl's cookie on the plan and yesterday I actually ate one. I purchased 2 and dh and I split each of them so we could both try 2 flavors. The cookies are large and there were 330 calories in them, but I decided it was just fine to have the planned treat. They have a rotation of different cookies each week and I may just put them on my plan each week. The friend I hiked with this morning loves cookies and told me of a couple of other nearby cookie places. I might try planning one cookie a week and thinking then I don't need to make my off plan sweet treat that I know has more calories than even one large cookie. I picked up the plant based cookbook at the library yesterday and will plan to make two dinners from it this week. I will need to buy a few ingredients that I don't have on hand for the pantry/refer.

Maryann I had tears in my eyes reading about ds's performance and also that he has been accepted to University of Michigan. How wonderful on both accounts! I had a smoothie this week after not having one for a long time. It was great.
GardenerJoy Congratulations on meeting your exercise goal for the month!
Curlyjax It sounds like you've had some fun social things the last few days. Good for you. It is good for the soul I'm sure.
Bill It's nice to be watching a movie at home where it is far easier to quit watching than getting up and leaving the theater.
Penny I'm not sure if the how not to die book is also a documentary. I'll be receiving the book from Amazon tomorrow. I'll have to check that out. I know there are a number of them out there, but I also hear the information in some of them isn't exactly accurate. Congratulations on getting your two older boys registered for community college.

One last note. I was diligent on filling out my Monthly Habit Tracker for February for the first time. The area where I fell most short was, Ate 2 - 2 all Day, which means I didn't not stop when I was satisfied. This is the thing I need to work on if I really plan to lose any weight. The way it stands now I am doing a perfectly good job of maintaining. On 38% of the days I am overeating. Well I knew it, I just didn't have the data. Maybe that will help.

I hope you all have a great Sunday!

Penny. 03-01-2020 10:16 PM

Good evening!

My work weekend is completed and it was a doozy, per usual. Good thing I only work a couple per month.

I reined it in with the food the last couple days and took the dogs for a walk.

Monday I chill until my final banjo class at the community class. I'm sad that it is ending because I really enjoy it and the teacher is really cool with a lot of music history and theory to share. I'll have to motivate myself to keep on practicing, which is hard to do with so little skill.

Bill, thanks for the new month of beck coaches. Good job on the orange snack.

Curly, your weekend sounds amazing! I need to get out more.

Maryann, I'm feeling so proud of your son too, that is awesome!

Karen, another great hike! I love the cookie plan. Good luck with the new recipes.

Joy, yay for the lunch at home! I have a lot of trouble with waiting until I get home when out past noon. Hard to remember we won't die. lol

BillBlueEyes 03-02-2020 05:49 AM

Monday - Dr. Seuss - Theodor Seuss Geisel - born (1904, Springfield, MA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did a luncheon well, CREDIT moi. Didn't know what to expect at a birthday party luncheon at a fancy Boston hotel. The food was served buffet style - a brunch combination. I had one "eggs Benedict" - I've never had just one as I've never heard of "egg Benedict". I skipped the grilled potato wedges. I had some apple spice bacon. I had fresh fruit. I skipped bagels with butter and marmalades. I skipped the assortment of fresh Danish pastries. Can't call it a low-calorie lunch, but met all my goals set before arriving. Then, the pièce de résistance, I waved away the birthday cake from the kind gentleman in a tux who insisted that everyone was to get a slice. It was glorious enough to squeeze through my "rare and unusual" - but not really. It was cake after lunch. Who need cake after lunch?

Exercise was toing and froing the subway to get there. The Subway system is undergoing its frequent track renovations; passengers had to jump out at one stop to take a bus to the next place that the trains were working. Maintenance has to happen and I welcomed the extra walking that was required. Most folks drove; garage parking is easy in Boston on Sunday. I sat next to a young man who lived a block away and worked across the street from his condo. He grouses that he owns a car at all since he pays a fortune for a garage space for it to live as he Ubers and subways around the town. Occasionally he has to pick up a client at the airport, so the car is used. He'd be happy to own no car. Love the young generation.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, Kudos indeed for meeting your February exercise goals. Your consistency is worthy of admiration.

maryann - Your DS's Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue sounds stellar. What confidence to lead an orchestra. Congrats on that University of Michigan acceptance. I'd secretly been hoping for a Boston area acceptance so we'd get to meet up on occasion.

Karen (karenrn) - Great to have a good friend - with the minor caveat of a good friend who tells you about great cookie places. Some things should go unsaid, LOL.

curlyjax - Kudos for a dinner with friends where "I didn't overdo it on the food." Cadbury Eggs should be outlawed.

Penny. - Ouch that banjo classes came to an end. Maybe you can form your own banjo group. Who knows that there might me several secret banjo players in your neighborhood.

Readers -
Quote:

Your LOWEST ACHIEVABLE WEIGHT is the weight at which you naturally plateau.

gardenerjoy 03-02-2020 10:01 AM

Yesterday was fun, easy, and relaxing -- partly because I stayed off social media. Now, I don't want to go back! I know there are some things that people expect me to do or respond to. So, I'm easing in by reading our posts and writing my own. The social media of our Beck thread sustains me.

I found a reminder in my Tickler file about what works well for me in the week prior to the spring time change -- early meals, early bed times, lots of exercise. Thank you to my past self for writing that note. I started acting on it yesterday. We woke up before the alarm this morning, which is a very helpful thing when the alarm is going to feel an hour earlier next week.

Exercise: +60, 60/1300 minutes for March

maryann: Loved reading about your DS's performance. Rhapsody in Blue was the first instrumental piece that I learned to enjoy (about 8th grade, I think) -- before that, I didn't see the point of music unless I could sing along.

curlyjax 03-02-2020 10:53 AM

Quick wave- I made salmon, sweet potatoes, kale and asperagus for dinner- then topped it off with a small choc.bunny. I also made my chicken/sweet pots/brocc for my week lunches so i'm good to go, and will probably have some for dinner tonight since DS may be out. DS was awarded a merit scholarhip of 10,000 for one state school,so i'm hoping he'll get it for the other state school that he prefers. That will be a huge help.
congrats Maryann for U of M and that great concert, he'll remember that forever!
Penny I echo Bill- you should get a banjo group going. Maybe some of the other students will want to keep going too!
Karen-great cookie plan, its important to include treats we want to keep us going.
Bill-haven't had eggs benedict in years! great job of managing all that food.
Gardenerjoy-yes, too much social media can get me down, sounds like a good plan.

gardenerjoy 03-02-2020 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a good thing that I got back on social media so I could see this gem, especially for our New England folks.

karenrn 03-02-2020 03:23 PM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I'm thinking of not weighing until Friday, so I'm not sure how my weight is but I feel good. This morning I had to leave for my hike with the group at 5:20. I think it was a little early as we started out in the dark even an hour later or so. It was a good hike of about 7 1/2 miles with 10 people. I was home by just after 11, which was kind of nice. I had an extra protein bar for the day because of the extra exercise, but that didn't seem like too much. I may go sit in the hospital waiting room with a friend this afternoon while her husband has a pacemaker placed, but no big plans other than that. I was supposed to meet some of my PNP gals for a line dancing class this evening, but I'm hoping we're rescheduling. It would be another longish drive today. Dh and I chose a couple of plant based recipes to try this week. As you all know, with new recipes additional ingredients are needed and it takes a little longer than those old standbys that we have in our heads. I hope to add a couple different ones each week. I'll let you know how it goes.

GardenerJoy That is a cute post. It was kind of funny on our hike hearing different people and their take on the coronavirus. One thought it was a great money making scheme for short sellers. Several thought it was no more deadly than the flu. That's not what I was reading. I guess we'll see how it all plays out. My home state of Washington has four more deaths today. I feel like I'm so healthy that it surely wouldn't take me down, but that doesn't mean I couldn't spread it to others that would be more adversely effected.
Curlyjax Your food prep dishes sound delicious. Congratulations to ds for his scholarship. I will hope he gets one for the other school too.
Bill You are doing so well! Waving away the birthday cake; I'm not sure I could have done that.
Penny I bet you are going to be able to find another class or something with the banjo . . . at least I sure hope so.
Maryann I hope you're having a good start to the week.

Penny. 03-02-2020 08:20 PM

Another evening check-in.

The day was on plan and I'm waiting to head into banjo class. I was so tired today I kinda wanted to skip it, but couldn't allow myself to do that. Last one!

Tomorrow I want to either get on my bike or take my daughter to the zoo, which she has been requesting.

Have a good night!

BillBlueEyes 03-03-2020 04:35 AM

Super Tuesday - The major Primary Voting Day in US

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Seems that hearing a lecture about Buddhism doesn't do much for helping me to give up 'coveting' this or that. Maybe one has to be raised by Buddhist parents. It's easy to be drawn to the lack of dogma; I'm not big on authorities.

Eating accomplishment was to sit through a two hour evening working meeting while ignoring the top shelf trail mix on the table. I had brought baby carrots, also; chose two of those over the course of the evening along with a sixteen ounce stadium-cup of water. We have a dozen water bottles that work well for guzzling along a trail, but I need to buy one of those for discretely sipping during an adult meeting. (Did I just 'covet' a new water bottle?)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the chuckle from the lines of Sweet Caroline conflicting with advice from the CDC. How is your Tickler file implemented?

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for trying new recipes. Methinks that helps guard against slipping into eating too much of comfort food.

curlyjax - Congrats to your DS for winning that merit scholarship. And Kudos to you for getting all the financial application information together that made that possible.

Penny. - Goodbye banjo class. Welcome next banjo thing that comes into your life.

Readers -
Quote:

You might not be able to stay at your Lowest Achievable Weight, however, because to do so you would have to keep on eating the same number of calories and exercising to the same degree for the rest of you life.

karenrn 03-03-2020 07:52 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and my plan is made for today. I'm making a tofu recipe for dinner out of one of the cookbooks I got from the library. I'll be heading to the store to get a few of the ingredients that I don't have on hand. The other plan for the day is to do some housework. The contractor that did our kitchen remodel is coming late morning tomorrow to photograph our kitchen, so that helps me to be inspired for the housework. Doing the floors in the main thing and then give the countertops a good polish.

Bill I continue to be impressed with you not touching the snacks. Top shelf trail mix would be hard to leave alone.
Penny I'm hoping you learned something at banjo class about where to continue.

Have a good day everyone.

maryann 03-03-2020 09:25 AM

Discouraged about food plan. I had such high hopes for WW but I am only gaining. Slowly but gaining. I know the best plan is the one I’ll do. I just can’t seem to put any abstinent days together. I get so derailed on eating out on the weekends that I can’t get back. I feel like I can’t NOT eat out because it is part of the family and friend life. But yesterday should have been easy because I did everything right including exercise and then I came home late BECAUSE of exercise and was starving.

I have a long school day ahead and maybe I’ll have more perspective tonight. At least I have kept to the rule of no candy for Lent.

gardenerjoy 03-03-2020 10:59 AM

Today's challenge is errands, but I'm going to work at making them happen at a time that reduces temptations. I have good food that I like to eat at home, where I like to eat it. So, that's the plan!

Exercise: +45, 105/1300 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: Here's a description (with pictures) that looks like my Tickler file: https://calyxncorolla.com/2016/08/ge...-tickler-file/ I have a file drawer in my desk, so I implemented it in that. I originally learned the concept from David Allen's Getting Things Done. I have implemented all of his system at various times and in various ways, but only the Tickler file stayed in my life long-term. Here's his description (but no pictures): https://gettingthingsdone.com/wp-con...kler-File-.pdf

millie56 03-03-2020 03:59 PM

I am back. I haven't been here in quite a while. My weight is up and my mood is down. I want to be really good for the next 3 weeks as I will be seeing my primary care doctor for my annual check-up. Getting labs done on the 13th and don't want my cholesterol to be out of whack. So I am back to the very beginning. Credit me - I had a green salad with turkey for lunch instead of making a sub-sandwich with the turkey. I made a breakfast casserole for dinner last night and had leftovers of that for breakfast (Don't have a clue what the calorie content was) I topped it with fresh tomatoes and had a small bunch of red grapes. Need to commit to NO snacking after dinner.

BillBlueEyes 03-04-2020 04:15 AM

Wednesday - The Louvre Pyramid by I. M. Pei is inaugurated by Mitterrand (1989)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - In the evening, we learned about the 69 other proponents of Natural Selection who published that idea before Darwin published "Origin of Species" in 1959. The talk was by Dr. William (“Ned”) Friedman who heads Harvard's Arnold Arboretum, a place charted to collect trees that has to support itself by events like Lilac Sunday. Seems that the good Mr. Darwin was a tad lean in giving credit to those who had influenced him - including his own grandfather, Erasmus Darwin. History of science contains so many little corners.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, made easier by a full day of classes and an evening lecture which left little room for snacking. Busy seems to be a good antidote for me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the links for a tickler file. They remind me that creating such a file is actual work and that using it requires discipline. A part of me wishes it to just appear in my brain.

maryann - Yay for the rule of no candy for Lent - what a good way to have Lent help.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at having to do housework in prep for a contractor's arrival - whatever it takes.

millie56 - Good use of a planned doctor's visit to get your eating plan in order. If I remember, you were last enjoying a "peddler" under your desk for a few minutes of exercise each day. Is that still part of your life?

Readers -
Quote:

At some point, you'll stop losing
weight
and it will no longer be sensible for
you to decrease your caloric intake
or to increase your exercise.

curlyjax 03-04-2020 06:53 AM

Oh dear, I've gotten into the chocolate again. I was craving it all day, and talked myself out of buying Easter stuff at a drugstore...but I have chocolate chips at home and I got into them. Melted with peanut butter, like a runny Reese bar. I normally don't have it in the house but I'm making a dessert on Saturday night and it uses some. Okay, I have gotten it out of my system and no more!
I get to start today at work with one of my favorite clients and her gorgeous, cranky Maine coon cat, who complains each time I pet her. Some of the animals are perks of the job, although not all- there is one little dog that has bitten my shoes before, she is not trained at all.
I'm so glad I like my job better now, my supervisor is great, and I am much happier being busy and actually helping people. I am tired after working a full day, but no longer depressed and bored like I used to be.
Karen- it's always great to have a reason to clean, it really gets us to get into gear.
Maryann- That is discouraging to gain weight on WW. Staying away from candy for Lent is excellent, keep going!
Millie- welcome back, your food choices sounds great!
Bill-go ahead and covet a new water bottle! They are coming out better and sleeker all the time.
Gardenerjoy- that photo of the tickler file is beautiful. I can see the use for reminder tasks for sure.

karenrn 03-04-2020 07:58 AM

Good morning coaches,

The recipe I made for dinner was good. It was kind of a stir fry (more like steam) with a side of marinated tofu. The veggies were kale, red onion, carrot, celery and red bell pepper. The marinade which was also the sauce had peanut butter, tahini, rice vinegar, maple syrup, ginger, curry, water and a little corn starch. The main thing is my husband liked it and is very interested in our good health. I stuck with my food plan yesterday, but did have a planned snack of yogurt with strawberries. Food was healthy, but I know my calories weren't low. Today's plan is made and I'll try to leave a few bites of each meal.

Curlyjax I'm so glad you are enjoying your job.
Bill I wouldn't be spiffing up for any old contractor's visit, but since they are here to photograph our kitchen for their website or brochure, I thought I should have it gleaming.
Millie56 Glad to see you back.
Maryann I feel your frustration. Sometimes I just want to go on a crazy restrictive diet to get this bit of weight off, but mostly I know I just need to reduce my portions sizes and eat the things I plan to eat the rest of my life. Good luck to you.

gardenerjoy 03-04-2020 10:34 AM

Today's challenge is lunch out. This is the place from a couple of months ago where I was really excited about the famous vegan cupcakes, but as BillBlueEyes has noted, they are just cupcakes -- not really different from childhood birthday parties. It turned out that the kale salad was awesome. So, today's plan is an entree of the kale salad, and no cupcakes.

Exercise: +40, 145/1300 minutes for March

Penny. 03-04-2020 11:43 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and I did make it to the zoo with my daughter.

I also went over to inspect the completed bathroom job and make the final payment. Ouch to the expense but they look really nice! That white subway tile all the way up to the ceiling looks very sleek.

Bill, all day classes and then a lecture sounds like a long day. Credit for staying on plan. Have a good day with dgd.

Maryann, I hear your frustration. The thing that snaps me back is finally seeing myself getting visibly heavier again. Ugh.

Curly, the giant bowl of bulk holiday chocolates I sabotaged myself with is finally gone. Good luck with the withdrawls. lol

Karen, I actually have that how not to die cookbook but have only used another one called The Vegan 8 (eight ingredients or less). Let me know if I need to try something.

Joy, have a nice lunch out. The salad sounds good!

Millie, welcome back! Good luck with your plan.

maryann 03-04-2020 11:04 PM

Good Evening, Coaches.

I was a very good teacher the last couple of days which always means I am very beat in the evening. In some ways it is a performance, in it other ways it is being a counselor to dozens of teens. They mostly just want to be seen and heard. That takes focus to not tune out. I am showing my government class Thank You for Smoking. It is an incredible commentary on lobbyists. I edited out the sex scene but am allowing the language because it not only speaks to media's pressure, spin and power politics but it addresses the smoking issue which I am sad to say is making a huge resurgence due to the new vaping technology.

I am struggling like Millie with snacking in the evening after staying OP all day. The first step for me is to get back to fruits and veggies. I have continued to stay away from candy so credit.

Penny: I bet there is a big sigh with the bathrooms done.
Karen: I just picked up America's Test Kitchen Vegetables. All their books are excellent. I am committing to opening it this weekend and trying one recipe.
Curleyjax: I like my job as well. I t makes such a difference. Last year's job convinced me to retire but my new position is filled with young teachers and interesting curriculum. I have a new spring in my step.

Wave to all and here's to this 24 hours being a big success.

BillBlueEyes 03-05-2020 05:57 AM

Thursday - FDR proclaims 10-day bank holiday (1933)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. In an odd room at the Boston Children's Museum, she announced that she wanted to play checkers with me. Fine. She had to be taught how to set up the board, how the pieces moved, how kings became crowned. She only knew that 'jumping' happened and you got to take the pieces off the board. She played intensely for two games, learning a few more rules every minute. Since this is where we accidently bumped into her uncle while on lunch break last month, I seeded that it happen again. Just like last month, she jumped into his arms when he appeared, hugged him like she hadn't seen him in years. Conned him into an invitation to visit his office where she charmed everyone who should have been working. Then walked out with an apple from their snack room. Her uncle very carefully prevented her from seeing the full array of FREE snacks available; the apple was the only item remotely healthy, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including no snacks other than my half orange in the evening. Again, busy is a good way to avoid focusing on food and knowing that I'm on a streak of no-snacking helps. My Resistance Muscle is getting into Olympic conditioning.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for "they are just cupcakes" - need to hear this a thousand times.

maryann - Continued Kudos for taking your job with the teens so seriously. It's such a needy time for them.

Karen (karenrn) - Good job finding a recipe that fits your plan and that your DH likes as well.

curlyjax - Neat that you're liking your job; the pets sound fun (except for that dog who bites your shoes). Ouch for chocolate chips worming themselves into your thinking. Yay for "out of my system and no more!"

Penny. - Good work by a contractor goes a long way toward making the price feel OK. Never 'good', but 'OK'. You remind me that I need to get my DGD to the Philadelphia Zoo so she can see the Galapagos Tortoises.

Readers -
Quote:

In fact, as you age, your metabolism will slow, and you'll have to decrease your caloric intake or increase your energy output even more to maintain that weight. It just might not be reasonable to expect yourself to stay at your Lowest Achievable Weight forever.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 273.

karenrn 03-05-2020 07:39 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and weight is at the lower end of the range again. My food plan is made for today and I'm hiking with a young friend from my Saturday morning PNP gathering. She is 40 and at her goal weight, so although she isn't a hiker I'm sure she'll do well. We're hiking the Peralta Trail to Fremont Saddle in the Superstitions and it's a very pretty hike. I'm sure she will love it and I will love it too. Yesterday I watched the movie, The Game Changers, about athletes who are on the plant based diet. In the past I have been a person who worried about getting enough protein to sustain muscle mass if not eating beef, chicken, turkey or whatever. I'm learning new things. On another note, I have garbanzo beans soaking and last evening we kept hearing this funny noise from the kitchen area. We even wondered if we had a mouse or something. It was the beans. Even before we at them they were making noise.

Bill Strengthening the resistance muscle really does work and you have been doing so well. How fun to have your dgd see her uncle again.
Maryann Is the American Test Kitchen a magazine or cookbook? You are such a good teacher. I bet your students will never forget you.
Penny I'm so glad the bathroom turned out nicely. Did you do more than one? I'm going to make a recipe from the How Not to Die cookbook tomorrow. It's a rice, black bean and broccoli dish. I'll let you know how we like it. You must be liking The Vegan 8.
GardenerJoy I hope the kale salad was as good as you remembered it.

gardenerjoy 03-05-2020 11:00 AM

I enjoyed my kale salad and the reward of a small tick down on the scale this morning.

Today's challenge is low energy -- a combination of some trouble sleeping plus high tree pollen counts in our region. I have a lot of experience with spring allergy malaise. What works best is a list of things to do that walks the thin line between motivating and overwhelming. I get better at making those lists every year.

Exercise: +25, 170/1300 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: what fun to arrange a 'surprise' encounter between your DGD and her uncle.

Penny. 03-05-2020 12:04 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. Could it be the end of both my class and the bathroom construction has made it easier for me to abstain from overeating?

I sure wish I could force myself into another source of stress relief.

Bill, another great DGD day in the books!

Maryann, I'm so glad you are liking the new job. It seemed like we were so close to quitting smoking just before vaping took off. :(

Karen, yes, I had to redo the tile in both bathroom showers. Amazing how much hidden damage is caused by the grout wearing out. I'm making a mushroom leek risotto today. It looks pretty good, and not too many ingredients.

Joy, yay for the tick down on the scale!

maryann 03-05-2020 10:46 PM

Karen: American Test Kitchen is a Long running PBS show. They are like Consumer Reports for Kitchen appliances and recipes. They do thorough research and then reccommend how to cook anything and what brand appliance to use. I love it.
BBE: I take for granted I pick our oranges off our many trees.
gardenerjoy: Congrats for paying attention to your body and knowing what works. Why does it take me in my fifties to accept both my limitations and my strengths and then play to them.

Penny: Funny you are talking about wishing your body would respond to stress in a different way. I am now listening to a fascinating book called The Hungry Brain. It answers the question why I don't have any will power or in a larger sense why diets fail because of the lack of ability to sustain the nearly 100% compliance of On Plan decision making in order to create and then maintain weight loss. It is not a matter of will power at all but the brain and it's interaction with specific chemicals coupled with my past experiences. Nothing earth shaking yet but I really understand why I am Sisphus rolling the rock up the hill only to have to have it roll back the minute I get weary.

More later on the book but I did decide to cut my subscription to WW and start logging into My Fit Pal one more time as I work through this new thinking.

BillBlueEyes 03-06-2020 05:13 AM

Friday - Dmitri Mendeleev presents 1st periodic table of the elements (1869, Russia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A story popped up on my feed about a FREE Dunkin' Donut. I immediately flexed; that's for me. Duh! I don't need a donut. I don't particularly want a donut. If I want a single donut, I can well afford to just buy it when there isn't a throng of folks jostling to get one FREE. Parts of my brain live far, far away in the past.

Dinner was sushi at our favorite place. One of the reasons that we like it is because the sushi chef is super friendly with us. Chats away for the entire experience. Walked out feeling satisfied after consuming few calories. Just a fun experience. We always get a mochi after the meal. It's a small dollop of ice cream covered in sweet rice dough and they only charge $1. (Whole Foods charges $2.) I wish all deserts were this small. CREDIT moi for a sane meal dining out.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Now that's an encouraging idea, "a list of things to do that walks the thin line between motivating and overwhelming."

maryann - Congrats for taking the step to shift from WW to My Fit Pal - whatever it takes to keep the brain in the game.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at mice-sounding noises from your garbanzo beans soaking - hadn't heard that before.

Penny. - If bathroom renovation led to reduced eating, it'd be about the most expensive diet on the books, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:

Instead, you should consider raising your number of calories modestly or decreasing your exercise (if you feel you're overdoing it in order to maintain your Lowest Achievable Weight) to a level you can more easily adhere to. Your weight will probably go up a little, but it will plateau again at your Lowest Maintainable Weight.

Penny. 03-06-2020 09:45 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. I have to work today.

Bill, credit for not answering the call to a free donut.

Maryann, pushing the boulder up the hill is a good analogy. It is exhausting!

gardenerjoy 03-06-2020 11:00 AM

Like Penny and maryann, I've been thinking about stress. My ability to stay on plan has been much easier the last three months or so and I think its because I finally got my brain and body responding differently to stress.

That has been a long (but fun!) process over a couple of years -- more doodling, a quieter start to my morning, earlier bed times with sleep meditations, monthly floats, and frequent social media breaks.

At the beginning of this year, I started a yoga video series with lots of muscle-building poses -- and discovered that my previous attempts at strength-training increased my anxiety (hello, Jillian Michaels) but yoga decreases anxiety, even when I do more than the super-relaxing poses.

My newest addition is to think about how I can utilize crone energy now that I'm looking at 60 in a few years. I'm not sure what I mean by that, yet, but it already came with a healthy dose of being very choosy about what in the world gets to elicit an emotional reaction from me -- time's too short to let just anything bother me.

Exercise: +65, 235/1300 minutes for March

maryann 03-06-2020 02:42 PM

Gardenerjoy: Your Crone Energy reminds me of book Woman Who Run With Wolves that was so popular years ago. I ate it up and I was in my early thirties.

My mom is In intensive care. She has undiagnosed bleeding and thankfully pushed her life alert button. I am at the hospital now.

So I ate a lunch at the hospital cafeteria that was reasonable. I tracked a cookie I added to the salad. I am set for the afternoon. It could be a long wait with tests.

I am committed to tracking the rest of the day.

karenrn 03-06-2020 09:50 PM

Good evening coaches,

It's a late check in for me. Yesterday and today have been on plan and weight was down a couple of pounds this morning. That is to the lower number I have seen in the last couple of months. Now if I can just keep it heading in that direction. Exercise today was the gym because it was pretty windy this morning. Then a walk with Otis after that. Yesterday's hike with my PNP friend was very good and she thoroughly enjoyed it. She is not at all heavy, but doesn't do a lot of cardio, so it was strenuous for her, but not a problem at all.

Maryann I'm so sorry about your Mom. It is so stressful to have our parents ill. I hope they get things sorted out quickly. I've watched the PBS program for years and used to take the magazine, but I didn't know what if the vegetable book was a new cookbook, or what?
GardenerJoy I'm glad you are figuring out or have worked out how to reduce your stress. That is important for sure. I do much better than I used to.
Penny I hope work isn't too bad. Is it just today or for 3 days?
Bill I saw the free donut ad today. Now if it had said a free cookie I might have at least lifted my head, but I can pass on the donuts.

BillBlueEyes 03-07-2020 04:56 AM

Saturday- Constantine I decrees dies Solis Invicti (sun-day) is the day of rest (321)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was left to forage for my own dinner. Walked, CREDIT moi, to a Mediterranean place where I got a clam shell takeout. I asked that it only get half the normal serving of rice then filled with green salad. Then refused the pita bread. It made a tasty dinner with modest calories, CREDIT moi. Was also a no snack day. I continue my string. Also shopped the supermarket returning with only the items on my list. The Hot Cross Buns for Easter aren't out yet; they'll be a challenge.

You need access to local news to see the pictures of chalked messages on the sidewalk in front of Elizabeth Warren's home. Clearly written by young kids, with the perfect penmanship more common for young girls. All the positive messages Warren expressed in her cancellation speech directed back at her by her young fans. A beautiful tribute.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for " time's too short to let just anything bother me." Had to chase down "Crone Energy" - what a positive concept for a negative sounding name.

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts to you and your mom in the hospital. Hoping for a speedy resolution.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for those couple of pounds down. That always feels good.

Penny. - Happy work day as I start my weekend and don't have to work. (Actually, I don't work on weekdays either, but I still cherish the distinction.)

Readers -
Quote:

Your Lowest Maintainable Weight is the weight you can sustain permanently, while still following a sensible eating and exercise program for the rest of your life.

gardenerjoy 03-07-2020 10:28 AM

Today's challenge is the same challenge as every first Saturday. I run a lunch time meeting. The best choice at the restaurant is a salad. I used to fret about that combination. Fortunately, today we're keeping the meeting very informal so it's no contest -- I'll order the salad and start the meeting by asking who has something they want to say.

Exercise: +35, 270/1300 minutes for March

maryann: Thanks for the book recommendation. That was one of a couple of books that I told myself I'd re-read when I was older. It must still resonate -- I'm fifth on the waiting list at my library!
Thinking of you and your mom. A friend of mine is going through similar stuff with her dad right now. I just got a text that she won't be at a meeting we both planned to attend today because he's going back in the hospital for the second time in two weeks with unexplained blood loss.

maryann 03-07-2020 12:00 PM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Mom is stable and surrounded by DB and DS. I am taking the morning off to do yoga. All that sitting yesterday was not good. I did track all my food and the scale is a little lower today. Listening to my Hungry Brain book (which is less interesting as it progresses) I did learn that the six most calorie dense food categories in the US diets are grain based desserts, bread, soda, chicken products (assumed to be fried chicken and Mcnuggets), pizza and one I can't remember. I had just eaten two cookies at the hospital cafeteria. It occurs to me again that if I stick to healthy foods I love it is a win win. I love nuts, fruits, sushi, salads, smoothies, yoghurt, etc. . . I may never be stick thin but I won't go back over 200 pounds and I might not have to feel I am pushing the boulder up hill every day. I will continue to research and track my food.

Wave.

BillBlueEyes 03-08-2020 06:05 AM

Sunday - Daylight Savings: Move clock ahead one hour

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Magnificent trip to Trader Joe's. I pondered a bit before going about the FREE sample they hand out at the back of the store. It's often a product that I haven't tried; it's usually small; it's often appealing. But, it's also often just a product made from frozen potatoes, noodles, or thick sauce that I've had many times before. On those occasions, I particularly regret taking it. A calorie hit for nothing gained. So I invented an idea radically new. Radically different. I picked up the almonds and walnuts that I'd come to buy and then ... wait for it ... didn't go to the back of the store. Amazing new idea. Might just write a book about it. Call it "Cognitive Therapy" or some such. CREDIT moi for doing the obvious. (Know that you're curious what FREE sample I missed: I have no idea; I didn't go to the back of the store.)

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner, alone, was the last remnants from one of the bags of frozen breaded chicken tenders from a month ago. They were destined to sit at the bottom of the freezer until DW got tired of them taking up space and discarded them. I matched them with a HUGE green salad in a soup bowl instead of our usually modest salad bowl. Thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for salads. Neat that you can run a meeting while eating lettuce.

maryann - Neat reminder, "if I stick to healthy foods I love it is a win win." I thought of you yesterday when I picked up a whole pound of California Walnut Halves for less than the cost of a Starbucks Venti Latte. So much work had to be done to get those out here to me. Thank you from all us East Coast folks who'd never have a walnut except for your efforts.

Readers -
Quote:

Your Lowest Maintainable Weight might not be the lowest weight you've ever been in your adult life. Maybe you weighed significantly less at some point because your lifestyle was different, you were much more physically active, you'd been sick, or you were younger and had a higher metabolism. Even if you could achieve this weight again, you most likely would not be able to maintain this weight.

karenrn 03-08-2020 09:02 AM

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan with the cookie that I also put on my plan. It was only so-so. I won't get that kind again. We had a plant based meal again last night for dinner. Dh is being a real sport and he says he liked the meal. It isn't one I would make again. I think it was the spices more than the main ingredients.
This morning I'm picking up a friend at 7:30 for a shorter hike. We are expected to have rain quite a few days this week, so I'm glad to get the hike in and a strenuous one tomorrow with the group.

Penny. 03-08-2020 11:39 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, even with a baby shower attended. Credit!

The baby was at the shower and so so tiny and cute. No one was allowed to hold him because of the coronavirus. I don't blame them, since we are all healthcare workers.

Maryann, I hope all is okay with your mom.

Joy, credit for making the salad plan. I might need that yoga for myself!

Bill, credit for avoiding the back of the store and the samples.

Karen, that's too bad the recipe wasn't great, and a not so great cookie too! Have a good hike.