Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 4 of 12
Go to
  • Tuesday- 1st official census in Great Britain: approximately 10 million people (1801)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent part of the day exchanging emails with a group of friends whether to meet or not to meet in the evening. This coronavirus has everyone spooked. We finally agreed to meet after the host, the oldest of us all, agreed but we wouldn't shake hands or have any physical contact. Felt a bit like acting since we all felt well. A recent CDC advisory went to "old people" - those over 60. Beware, you might become old simply by government fiat, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with only minor nibbles at my evening event. No one wanted to reach for a platter of food being shared. Not really happy that my desire for no-snacks is helped by a fear of coronavirus.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Read about your "stupid actions" case of coronavirus. That kind of thing scares me the most. DW was outside wearing only a sweatshirt working the yard as if spring were here. She pointed out that we have no flowers yet because she's only planted natives who know that winter isn't over. The neighbor has a full yard of daffodils, "those bulbs are from Asia."

Karen (karenrn) - Will have to add The Game Changers to my list. My suspicion is that plant-based eating is in everyone's future. Yep, the no snacking is helping to drop off a few pounds that snacking added. Strange to me how small changes can make weight go up or down.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 11 When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

Determine Your Lowest Achievable Weight

If you answered yes to all these questions, then cut your calories modestly (by about 200 calories a day) and see if you lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 273.
  • Today's challenge is taking my MiL, who is over 80, to a doctor's office. I'm trying to think through things like, do we all use hand sanitizer before we touch the car doors when we return home? That means the hand sanitizer needs to be on my person, not in the car.

Food-wise, this usually turns into a day of two meals from fast food. Not ideal, but I've done it quite a few times since last fall and I know exactly what to choose. Also, I'll plan to have a salad as an evening snack when we're home and settled in.

Exercise: +35, 365/1300 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: DH and I appreciated the CDC definition of old -- he is and I'm not. Somehow, that doesn't make me feel more confident in my ability to magically fend off disease.
  • Good morning!

Dh is on staycation this week so checking in might be spotty. The last two days were overbudget and weight is holding at the top of the range.

My boss called and said all the little bottles of hand sanitizer were wiped out and she needed me to bring in my extras to get through to Friday, then she called back to say nevermind, they had a shipment coming. I only had two half bottles and possibly one new. She said it made her wonder if people aren't washing hands enough before this. Haha! Nah, it's probably just that scarcity mentality.

My eating slipped the last few days and I'm going to get some potatoes/cabbage/onions into the crockpot for healthy eating.

Have a great day, everyone!
  • Good evening coaches,

Food has been on plan, but I don't think I'm cutting back enough to lose quickly or at all. I really would be satisfied with about a pound a week. We'll see how that goes. Tonight we're having a mostly meatless meal, bean soup that does have a little ham in it and a spinach and fruit salad. This will all likely come for a screeching halt when the company comes in about a week. I think now everyone (5) will be driving down from Washington together. At first I thought "OMG that's too many for the week", but then I realized they will all be here and then they will all be gone, so that might be even better. I had a really lazy day today. I left the house to mail in my ballot at the post office and to go to the grocery store. I didn't sleep well last night at all. I checked my email and learned we got our first choice permit for the High Sierra Trail beginning 8/19 and I lost sleep being so excited/nervous for that. I did take a nap after lunch.

Penny I know there isn't any hand sanitizer or TP at the grocery store and no hand sanitizer at Amazon either. I do have a small amount here at home that I use when I'm backpacking.
    GardenerJoy I hope all goes well with MIL at the doctor's appointment.
    Bill I just hate the hassle even thinking about the coronavirus is to me. Tomorrow I'm taking the next door neighbor (who is 70+) to the airport to fly to Miami to go on a cruise. I think she is nuts. The problem for me is that I agreed to pick her up on 3/24.
    If our family (with the baby) who are driving here so as not to worry about flying are still here, I will not pick her up. I called my niece to kind of confirm their timeline and she will be calling me back. If they are still going to be here, I'm going to let the neighbor know she will need to Uber home. It is not an expensive ride as we are only 20 minutes from the airport. I feel bad about it, but not bad enough to worry about passing something to the baby.

Okay, that's it from me. Time to heat the bean soup and make the salad.

• Wednesday-Icon veneration reinstated in Hagia Sophia Cathedral (843, Constantinople)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Skipped a major opportunity to overeat for dinner last night. CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi. Basking in credit despite the notion that a just evaluation might show me to simply be the lucky victim. I didn't partake from the giant platters of FREE food at the reception after a lecture at Harvard University last night because I skipped the reception. I skipped the reception because I didn't go to the lecture. I didn't go to the lecture because Harvard has a just-instituted-coronavirus policy of limiting gatherings to 100 people and this lecture was important enough to draw hundreds and we'd have to get there really early to avoid that 101st person who might spread contagion. Those attending included a group from Australia, who we'd sit next to and share openly served food with after they got off an international flight breathing the recirculating air in a plane for 12 hours. So we stayed home and watched the lecture via Facebook streaming.

Maybe we dodged a bullet, but this isn't a virus forum; it's an exercise and eating plan forum. And I was on plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Salad as an evening snack is so sane.

Karen (karenrn) - Your 70+ friend going on a cruise must live in a bubble. I can't believe any cruise ship has customers this week. Congrats on getting your desired permit for the High Sierra Trail.

Penny. - Good grief! We're into rationing hand sanitizer. Yay for "potatoes/cabbage/onions into the crockpot for healthy eating."

Readers -
    Quote:

You can also think about exercising more. Ask yourself:
    • Do I really want to increase the frequency, intensity, or duration of my exercise?
      ​​​​​​
    • Will I have enough extra time and energy to devote to more exercise?​​​​​​
    • Will exercising more be healthy for me - or will I be overdoing it?
    • Will I easily be able to keep up an increased level of exercise for the long term?
      ​​​​​​​
    If you answered yes to all of those questions, then increase your exercise modestly and see what happens.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 274.
  • Quick wave everyone.Yesterday I had 3 manly men in my house 2 Verizon guys and the exterminator (verizon was down a truck so they were teaming up). They actually ended up replacing the router and i'm so grateful to have things up and running again. And the exterminator put tons of bait in and sealed up etc the outside of the house so hopefully this will crack down on the mice situation. I actually saw one the day before -it was trapped in a trash can downstairs. I let it outside of the house -whereupon it ran into the bushes and probably right back in:.
    They are closing colleges around here; I understand the reasoning but I hope they don't do it with DD's school, its going to frankly be awful if she's stuck here for 3 extra months!
  • Good Morning,

Spending much of my time commuting an hour to and from hospital after work. Mom is still in the hospital but hopefully will be released today.

I have continued to track in MFP and weight is holding but not a number I am at all comfortable with. There is a new “plan” mode in MFP which helps you get calories in align with weight goals slowly. I am going to work through it. For now, credit I made myself go bike at the gym for 25 mins before heading to see mom. I have planned yoga for after school.

Wave to all. Late to work.
  • The doctor declared MiL to be doing well, given her age and all she went through in the fall. She jokingly asked the doctor for a vaccine for the coronavirus -- so, he knows her sense of humor and brain function are intact.

Today, I have a list of errands. If we decide to shelter-in-place for two or three weeks, I'll have the last of what we need in the house by the end of the day.

Exercise: +50, 415/1300 minutes for March
  • Good afternoon coaches,

I had a busy morning taking the neighbor to the airport, then the gym, then to Costco for No Toilet paper and a mob of unhappy people, and then to the regular grocery store where I picked up 8 rolls or so of a brand of TP I don't like but that would do if needed.
    Dh and I will get quite thin if we need to shelter-in-place for very long, but I did purchase a few things to help us get by. I guess we wouldn't starve, but it wouldn't be a very balanced diet. My dh insisted that I do not pick up the neighbor if our company are still here on 3/24 and they expect to be here until 3/25, so I had to tell her this morning that mostly likely she will need to Uber home. At first she was kind of shocked, but she does know the baby is vulnerable and when I told her they are driving down, not even getting on a plane she understood. It is grey and raining here and expected to be this way a couple more days.

GardenerJoy That's great that mil is doing so well.
    Maryann You are going thru a busy time for sure. I do hope your Mom gets out of the hospital today.
    Curlyjax I hope all the manly men did a good job doing what needed to be done . . . especially the exterminator. Yes, for your sake I do hope dd's school doesn't close early.
    Bill Listening to the lecture at home sounds like a great thing to do. I don't recall ever going through anything like this coronavirus. It is just weird. I'm sure there are many factors, including politics, that make it even worse. This week I would normally be going to the movies in this rain, but frankly I don't want to be exposed to a bunch of people either. I may watch a few more movies at home. Once the baby has come and gone, I won't feel quite the same. I am curious how the neighbor's cruise will be and how full the ship is or isn't.

Take care care all of you!
  • Thursday - Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the 1st time in Vicksburg, MS (1894)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. We'd come to own (from a friend) the full series of books about The Story of Babar: The Little Elephant. We offered to read the first one to her before we passed them on. Mistake. She adores them. We've read every. single. one. to her. (Must be about ten; first published in 1931.) I despise them. The elephant goes to town and gets proper clothes and shoes (with spats) and walks on his hind feet. And racism! At one point they land on an island of "savages and cannibals" who are depicted as small coal-black men with exaggerated red round lips. Hopefully professional librarians have discreetly removed these from public circulation. Just Ouch! And the DGD can't get enough. Since the story is familiar, I must have read them to my kids. Or read them as a kid myself.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, easy with a busy day. DW's evening event was cancelled because it was to be held in the town's senior center and groups are no longer allowed until coronavirus has passed. I spent the day getting emails about all the events in my future that are now cancelled. Maybe I'll use the time to teach myself Chinese, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad your MIL has retained her sense of humor. Don't expect to buy disinfectant on your journey today.

maryann - That your mom is about to be released is a good sign. Kudos for holding when that's what your body is willing to do.

Karen (karenrn) - Smart decision to not pick up your neighbor from her cruise. I still can't believe that she's going. Are you concerned that everyone with medical training will be called back up to face the overloads everywhere?

curlyjax - Yay for a working internet connection. Ouch for the prospect of your DD descending back on your home after you've achieved such peace. Stories around here about the kids being sent home include the response from a Jamaican kid who says he can't afford to fly home and his visa wouldn't allow his return. Lots of disruption.

Readers -
    Quote:

If you lose more weight by eating less or exercising more, fine. Keep up with your new routine until you reach a new plateau and reassess the situation.

• Good morning coaches,

I did have a few off plan nibbles and an evening snack that were unneeded yesterday. I will attribute them to the uncertainty surrounding us right now. We aren't sure if our relatives will be coming next week and I'm at the point where I hope they don't. I would rather just worry about the two of us. We are having more rain today and I'm going to stay home and do housework. It's something that I can control. It's dh's birthday today and we're having a high calorie dinner that he loves. In addition his bosses wife always brings in some fancy cupcakes for their birthdays so I have asked that he bring one home for me. Hopefully it will be instead of the Saturday night cookie.

Bill I bet many of your functions will be cancelled. Probably a good thing right now. I have not renewed my nursing license and I can't imagine having to go back to work.

Take care everybody!
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

DH and DS went to the Sacramento Kings Basketball game last night. They went in, sat down and ate. Just before the game started it was announced that it was cancelled and all other games for the seasons. What insane group of people allow 10,000 people to gather and then cancel the game. I might be one of the few in the world, but I can't get myself worked up over the madness. The numbers in my mind don't support. I do understand I have the luxury of being younger (relatively) and in good health but as a teacher of History how I wish people would get worked up about even more deadly things. What would it be if people panicked about the wars in Sudan? How about the 2,000 deaths a day from cigarette smoking with countries subsidizing tobacco growing? OK I'll stop now.

I treated myself to a quiet (extravagant) evening by buying Little Women on prime. It is one of my all time favorite books and even if the movie was half as good as people said, I knew I would want to see it at least three times. It was fairly good. I enjoy the actress who played Jo. I also treated myself to yoga and tracked all my food. The weight dipped again. I am winding down on The Hungry Brain. One things I am taking away is depressing reality that my body actively engages several chemical process to prevent me from losing fat beyond my "set point." The set point can increase and once that happens it is very tricky to reduce it. The research shows it can be done, however, not by reducing calories by a large amount but by changing food to a "non rewarding" (ie low fat, sugar, salt) bland diet with no calorie restrictions. The premise is that no one gets fat on too much oatmeal, apples, etc. . .This food regime can actually lower the set point without the body reacting aggressively to make you regain it. There is also a component of low variety that insures success. These conclusions are actually based on scientific experiments not just anecdotal or cultural. Interesting. So I had plain yoghurt today and carry hummus for lunch

Off to school.
  • I'm spending way too much time monitoring Facebook and the news. So far, my food is fine. But my stress level is ratcheting up. If I don't get my routines and practices back in gear, the food won't stay fine.

I have a reason to monitor Facebook -- a chat of a bunch of friends trying to help another friend. Her father is dying, but the COVID-19 scare is limiting the options he has. He's currently in the hospital. He lives in a senior care center that has just banned all visitors, including family and outside care workers. The skilled nursing beds at the center are all full, anyway. So she's trying to figure out how to not have her dad die alone.

Exercise: +35, 450/1300 minutes for March
  • Friday - The planet Uranus was discovered by Sir William Herschel (1781)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - In the afternoon, I had a serious reason to nibble. We were at the second meeting with the lawyer to do our "Estate Plan" that happily specifies that should we go before our money is consumed, the kids get it. Good enough. Then we have to cover what happens should DW and I both go, both our children go, and our DGD goes. There's a phrase for the tiering of relatives as can be found. What a lousy way to spend an afternoon - thinking of responses to all awful combinations of events. And at $$$ per hour. CREDIT moi for doing a necessary grownup thing.

Not only did I have a reason to nibble, but the lawyer put out good dark chocolate to distract us. I didn't take a Hershey's Dark Chocolate. Not a big deal; had them many times before. But there was a small box labeled Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium from Maine - an upscale place I've never sampled, not even heard about. My brain cells immediately chanted "rare and unusual". Then, I just decided to exercise my resistance muscle. Didn't take one. CREDIT moi for recognizing that I still can make a choice.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Moving story that a friend's dad is dying but getting isolated due to COVID-19. The personal stories of disruption keep stacking up.

maryann - That's a serious bummer to make folks drive to the basketball game before announcing its cancellation. Interesting research, "no one gets fat on too much oatmeal, apples, etc. . ."

Karen (karenrn) - Happy Birthday to your DH. Yay for a boss's wife who brings in cupcakes. Neat that you'll only have access to one.

Readers -
    Quote:

When Gina, a teacher, plateaued for several weeks at 132 pounds, she wanted to keep losing. She thought she'd be able to cut her calories and exercise more. But when we analyzed her situation, it became apparent that she could do so only for a couple of months, during her summer off from teaching. When she returned to school in September, she knew she'd have less control over her schedule and food. She reluctantly agreed that it didn't make sense to try to lose a few more pounds, since she'd likely regain them within a short period of time.

• Gardenerjoy: Yes the media can be a black hole. Credit for extending the compassionate footwork to yr friend's father. In a way I am happy to have a external structure that forces meinto action.
    BBE: Good job ignoring even the "rare and unusal" call of the chocolates.

As for me, my many teaching friends are reporting their schools closed. My won't, I believe, because it is rural and very conservative. families don't want their kids unsupervised and many don't have computers for online learning, Credit for OP yesterday until the end of the day when I ate about 150 calroies worth of cheese standing. DRAT! this insidious behavior is what prevents a loss. Still lots of good choices and I have no eating out planned this weekend which will really help.