Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #31  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. I have to work today.

Bill, credit for not answering the call to a free donut.

Maryann, pushing the boulder up the hill is a good analogy. It is exhausting!
Old 03-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Like Penny and maryann, I've been thinking about stress. My ability to stay on plan has been much easier the last three months or so and I think its because I finally got my brain and body responding differently to stress.

That has been a long (but fun!) process over a couple of years -- more doodling, a quieter start to my morning, earlier bed times with sleep meditations, monthly floats, and frequent social media breaks.

At the beginning of this year, I started a yoga video series with lots of muscle-building poses -- and discovered that my previous attempts at strength-training increased my anxiety (hello, Jillian Michaels) but yoga decreases anxiety, even when I do more than the super-relaxing poses.

My newest addition is to think about how I can utilize crone energy now that I'm looking at 60 in a few years. I'm not sure what I mean by that, yet, but it already came with a healthy dose of being very choosy about what in the world gets to elicit an emotional reaction from me -- time's too short to let just anything bother me.

Exercise: +65, 235/1300 minutes for March
Old 03-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Gardenerjoy: Your Crone Energy reminds me of book Woman Who Run With Wolves that was so popular years ago. I ate it up and I was in my early thirties.

My mom is In intensive care. She has undiagnosed bleeding and thankfully pushed her life alert button. I am at the hospital now.

So I ate a lunch at the hospital cafeteria that was reasonable. I tracked a cookie I added to the salad. I am set for the afternoon. It could be a long wait with tests.

I am committed to tracking the rest of the day.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #34  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

It's a late check in for me. Yesterday and today have been on plan and weight was down a couple of pounds this morning. That is to the lower number I have seen in the last couple of months. Now if I can just keep it heading in that direction. Exercise today was the gym because it was pretty windy this morning. Then a walk with Otis after that. Yesterday's hike with my PNP friend was very good and she thoroughly enjoyed it. She is not at all heavy, but doesn't do a lot of cardio, so it was strenuous for her, but not a problem at all.

Maryann I'm so sorry about your Mom. It is so stressful to have our parents ill. I hope they get things sorted out quickly. I've watched the PBS program for years and used to take the magazine, but I didn't know what if the vegetable book was a new cookbook, or what?
GardenerJoy I'm glad you are figuring out or have worked out how to reduce your stress. That is important for sure. I do much better than I used to.
Penny I hope work isn't too bad. Is it just today or for 3 days?
Bill I saw the free donut ad today. Now if it had said a free cookie I might have at least lifted my head, but I can pass on the donuts.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:56 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday- Constantine I decrees dies Solis Invicti (sun-day) is the day of rest (321)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was left to forage for my own dinner. Walked, CREDIT moi, to a Mediterranean place where I got a clam shell takeout. I asked that it only get half the normal serving of rice then filled with green salad. Then refused the pita bread. It made a tasty dinner with modest calories, CREDIT moi. Was also a no snack day. I continue my string. Also shopped the supermarket returning with only the items on my list. The Hot Cross Buns for Easter aren't out yet; they'll be a challenge.

You need access to local news to see the pictures of chalked messages on the sidewalk in front of Elizabeth Warren's home. Clearly written by young kids, with the perfect penmanship more common for young girls. All the positive messages Warren expressed in her cancellation speech directed back at her by her young fans. A beautiful tribute.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for " time's too short to let just anything bother me." Had to chase down "Crone Energy" - what a positive concept for a negative sounding name.

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts to you and your mom in the hospital. Hoping for a speedy resolution.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for those couple of pounds down. That always feels good.

Penny. - Happy work day as I start my weekend and don't have to work. (Actually, I don't work on weekdays either, but I still cherish the distinction.)

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11 When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

Lowest Achievable Weight Versus Your Lowest Maintainable Weight

Your Lowest Maintainable Weight is the weight you can sustain permanently, while still following a sensible eating and exercise program for the rest of your life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 273.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #36  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is the same challenge as every first Saturday. I run a lunch time meeting. The best choice at the restaurant is a salad. I used to fret about that combination. Fortunately, today we're keeping the meeting very informal so it's no contest -- I'll order the salad and start the meeting by asking who has something they want to say.

Exercise: +35, 270/1300 minutes for March

maryann: Thanks for the book recommendation. That was one of a couple of books that I told myself I'd re-read when I was older. It must still resonate -- I'm fifth on the waiting list at my library!
Thinking of you and your mom. A friend of mine is going through similar stuff with her dad right now. I just got a text that she won't be at a meeting we both planned to attend today because he's going back in the hospital for the second time in two weeks with unexplained blood loss.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Mom is stable and surrounded by DB and DS. I am taking the morning off to do yoga. All that sitting yesterday was not good. I did track all my food and the scale is a little lower today. Listening to my Hungry Brain book (which is less interesting as it progresses) I did learn that the six most calorie dense food categories in the US diets are grain based desserts, bread, soda, chicken products (assumed to be fried chicken and Mcnuggets), pizza and one I can't remember. I had just eaten two cookies at the hospital cafeteria. It occurs to me again that if I stick to healthy foods I love it is a win win. I love nuts, fruits, sushi, salads, smoothies, yoghurt, etc. . . I may never be stick thin but I won't go back over 200 pounds and I might not have to feel I am pushing the boulder up hill every day. I will continue to research and track my food.

Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 03-07-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:05 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Daylight Savings: Move clock ahead one hour

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Magnificent trip to Trader Joe's. I pondered a bit before going about the FREE sample they hand out at the back of the store. It's often a product that I haven't tried; it's usually small; it's often appealing. But, it's also often just a product made from frozen potatoes, noodles, or thick sauce that I've had many times before. On those occasions, I particularly regret taking it. A calorie hit for nothing gained. So I invented an idea radically new. Radically different. I picked up the almonds and walnuts that I'd come to buy and then ... wait for it ... didn't go to the back of the store. Amazing new idea. Might just write a book about it. Call it "Cognitive Therapy" or some such. CREDIT moi for doing the obvious. (Know that you're curious what FREE sample I missed: I have no idea; I didn't go to the back of the store.)

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner, alone, was the last remnants from one of the bags of frozen breaded chicken tenders from a month ago. They were destined to sit at the bottom of the freezer until DW got tired of them taking up space and discarded them. I matched them with a HUGE green salad in a soup bowl instead of our usually modest salad bowl. Thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for salads. Neat that you can run a meeting while eating lettuce.

maryann - Neat reminder, "if I stick to healthy foods I love it is a win win." I thought of you yesterday when I picked up a whole pound of California Walnut Halves for less than the cost of a Starbucks Venti Latte. So much work had to be done to get those out here to me. Thank you from all us East Coast folks who'd never have a walnut except for your efforts.

Readers -
Quote:

Lowest Achievable Weight Versus Your Lowest Maintainable Weight

Your Lowest Maintainable Weight might not be the lowest weight you've ever been in your adult life. Maybe you weighed significantly less at some point because your lifestyle was different, you were much more physically active, you'd been sick, or you were younger and had a higher metabolism. Even if you could achieve this weight again, you most likely would not be able to maintain this weight.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #39  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan with the cookie that I also put on my plan. It was only so-so. I won't get that kind again. We had a plant based meal again last night for dinner. Dh is being a real sport and he says he liked the meal. It isn't one I would make again. I think it was the spices more than the main ingredients.
This morning I'm picking up a friend at 7:30 for a shorter hike. We are expected to have rain quite a few days this week, so I'm glad to get the hike in and a strenuous one tomorrow with the group.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #40  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, even with a baby shower attended. Credit!

The baby was at the shower and so so tiny and cute. No one was allowed to hold him because of the coronavirus. I don't blame them, since we are all healthcare workers.

Maryann, I hope all is okay with your mom.

Joy, credit for making the salad plan. I might need that yoga for myself!

Bill, credit for avoiding the back of the store and the samples.

Karen, that's too bad the recipe wasn't great, and a not so great cookie too! Have a good hike.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #41  
Green Tomatoes

Our first Missouri case of coronavirus was announced last night -- diagnosed at the hospital where we get all of our medical services. Sigh. Including two diagnostic procedures that DH has scheduled for later this month.

My challenge for today is a reception for our next school superintendent. I hope they have signs up for alternatives to shaking hands. We don't need to send the poor guy back to finish up his current position with a St. Louis-based disease. Or, use him as the vector for spreading the disease among every one who cares about our school district.

My personal preference, of the many alternatives to handshakes that I've seen so far, is the Vulcan "live long and prosper" sign.

I'm not sure if there will be food at the event, but it doesn't matter. I won't eat any. If sticking to my plan weren't enough, staying away from all the surfaces where people are fetching food is plenty of motivation.

Exercise: +25, 295/1300 minutes for March
Old 03-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave everyone. i was super busy getting ready for my little dinner party and cleaning my house, and then the internet stopped working Saturday. I spent over an hour trying to get it going and had to give up. a tech is coming tuesday morning- along with the exterminator! and I was feeling quite locked away from the outside world, which is ridiculous. tonight i finally figured out i could use my work laptop with its own wifi to get online. I couldn't find some of my favorite recipes without it, and wanted to know whats going on with the coronavirus scare. It's amazing how much on rely on access to the internet now!
The dinner party went well although the food didn't turn out quite right but everyone had a good time. i am right now finishing up roasting some cauliflower for lunches and cursing myself i didn't get started on all this earlier. I'm tired of cooking!
Maryann hope your mom is doing better.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-08-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Liquid water is discovered on Enceladus, 6th largest moon of Saturn (2006)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a good eating day, CREDIT moi. At a group luncheon at noon, I took the vegetable soup and a large green salad. Then avoided the table of desserts. It was an occasion where I've been known to take a few of the desserts because they're all lovingly handmade. As if handmade calories are treated differently by the body.

Made another trip to Trader Joe's for daffodils ($1.50 for ten); it's insane daffodil pricing days there. DW was delighted to immediately put the 20 unopened buds in a vase so we get to watch them come into their glory. And, again, much easier this time, I simply didn't to to the back of the store so I had no FREE sample. CREDIT moi for the little steps.

<blank line>
Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for the official arrival of the coronavirus. We did the elbow touch yesterday. I like the Vulcan "live long and prosper" sign.
<blank line>
Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for continuing your plant based plan. And Congrats to your DH for being a good sport.

curlyjax - Ouch for the first world disaster of loss of internet. We all have slipped into dependency.

Penny. - Kudos for on plan even through a baby shower. Smart to keep the baby isolated.

Readers -
Quote:

Determine Your Lowest Achievable Weight

When your weight plateaus for a month or two, think about your caloric intake. Ask yourself:
  • Do I want to reduce my calories even more?
  • Will I get enough satisfaction from eating if I eat less?
  • Will eating even less still be healthy?
  • Will eating less fit my lifestyle?
  • Could I comfortable live with a reduced number of calories for the long term?
Old 03-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #44  
Green Tomatoes

We have a rainy day predicted, so I'll need to get creative with exercise. Fortunately, I've been doing a variety of things all winter, alongside walking every day that the weather allowed. So, that should be easy enough.

It will be good to have an indoor day while St. Louis County works out the implications of our first coronavirus case plus an apparently stupid action by family members of that first case that put many more people at risk.

Exercise: +35, 330/1300 minutes for March
Old 03-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #45  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been as planned and I went on a great hike this morning. Had to leave the house at 5:15 to meet a distance away. We did a hike called Picket Post. It isn't a long hike, but there is lots of climbing some of which is pretty exposed and a bit scary, especially on the way down. It is definitely a hike I like to do with a group, which is the way I've done it for the two times I've hiked it. We're supposed to have a couple of days of rain, so I was really glad to get out to hike in the clear blue skies today. Once I got home and cleaned up I went out again to run errands and now I'm home for the day.

Yesterday dh sat down with me to watch the movie, The Game Changers. Since he is so accommodating changing what we are eating, I thought he might enjoy the movie . . . and he did. I was planning to just eat some plant based meals, but at this point he is kind of switching over. We'll see if it lasts.
I guess it will be up to me to clean up all the foods that he isn't eating, but like I said . . . who knows how long this will last.

GardenerJoy I don't know what to think about the darned coronavirus. Of course we've had a case or two in our area also.
Bill It seems you have been doing so well with food choices and no snacks. I imagine you are losing weight.
Curlyjax I'm glad the dinner party went well. It is the company, not the food, that really makes a good time.

I started this post hours ago and then got distracted by a phone call. Thank goodness I finally remembered to come back and finish it. Tomorrow it will likely be raining here, so no early hiking for me.
Closed Thread