Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday- National Freedom Day - Lincoln outlaws slavery by the 13th Amendment (1865)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Terrific "Enrich Your Life" event: attended the play "Vanity Fair" based on Thackeray’s 800 page novel from 1847-1848. Would have thought it the least likely novel I'd have wanted to know about. Much to my delight, the play was beyond wonderful. Seven actors played some 19 characters with only Becky (bad girl of poor means) and Amelia (good girl of wealthy means) played by the same person. Life was tough when the only way up for a young girl was to marry 'well'. It's hard to believe that a novel can last 170 years yet, here it is. Think I'll take the enjoyment of the evening and give myself permission to NOT read the book, LOL.

Exercise, CREDIT moi, was the segments of walking to and from the subway on both ends. I am fond of how far a subway system can cover. Dinner included grilled lamb chops that are never on our menu. These happened because I had given DW a Christmas stocking gift of a small jar of Crosse & Blackwell Mint Sauce with Egyptian Mint Leaves (basically mint in vinegar). Tasty way to eat a lamb chop.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Meeting at a bakery is a major challenge. Seems smart to include bread since you'll be smelling that.

maryann - That Poshmark (poshmark dot com) is a surprise. Happy shopping.

Karen (karenrn) - Avoiding hosting a Super Bowl party does solve an overeating problem. My condolences to your nephew for an ended relationship.

curlyjax - Ouch for the job stress for having to deal with problems that aren't going to get solved. Yay for a nap in the car with a blanket.

Penny. - Happy work day when the rest of us are weekending.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41 Make a New To-Do list

You've now learned the skills you need to continue losing weight and to keep it off. You just have to keep practicing these skills - over and over - especially after you've reached your goal weight. In fact, you'll use some of the techniques for your entire life. Doing so is the key to continued success. The reason you regained weight in the past is that you didn't have these strategies. Now you do.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 261.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Last night I was craving apple crisp for some reason so I made some. I was going to do a small mugsize in microwave, but wondered how good it would turn out, and I was going to make some for DS too, so I just made it in the over. I ate way too much, but at least it was healthier than making brownies.
Today I am planning on attending a vegan lunch event, to hopefully find some new food ideas. I will probably bump into folks from my church there too.
This morning is making a grocery list, getting to the dump, and hopefully getting something else done at home. And my exercises. I really miss the day off I used to have mid-week, its a challenge to cram errands, financials, meal prep, fun etc into two days!
Bill- that play sounds great. The joys of being near the city, great events and public trans!
Karen- aw, your poor nephew. Nice you can be a diversion for him. Super bowl sounds much more manageable now.
Penny- good luck on your work weekend. Cold, early and tired -ugh.
Maryann- I had never heard of Poshmark either. Sounds like a great outlet for you! I am going to treat myself to a new dress or something when I lose at least five pounds.
Gardenerjoy-lunch at a bakery is tough indeed, good strategy.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-01-2020 at 10:00 AM.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is a lunch out. I have this lunch every first Saturday, so I know how to handle it -- get the salad but be prepared to come home hungry -- so, I have a healthy snack planned.

I met my January exercise goal! I've been very slowly working my way through a 30-day yoga program with lots of strength-training poses. Today, I'll start Day 1 for my third run through the first seven days. I failed at Day 8 the first time. I think when I reach it the next time, I'll be ready for it.

Exercise: +35, 1300/1300 minutes for January
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/171/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP. Weight doesn’t budge. Walk yesterday and yoga this morning so I am doing things right.

Tonight is basketball with Sacramento Kings versus Lakers. The food is a challenge since it is included in season tickets and very luxurious. I have to make a plan this afternoon. The obvious thing to do is eat light today. I think I’ll take this step by step.

I took another step and sold something on Poshmark. I always wanted to try an online sale thing. So easy. One of the items I found which never used was a Canada Goose best. Apparently they are highly sought. I put $72 bucks in my pocket. Fun. Also it makes me asses my things. I am trying to redesign my wardrobe to have only colors that beat suit me.

BBE: Vanity Fair! EEK!
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I had the courage to step on the scale this morning. It was up from a few days ago, but I'm sure it's down from yesterday. So far so good today. I'm going to try to use the habit tracker this month to see what percentage of the time I'm doing the things I should be doing. Often I start it, forget to do it for a few days and then it goes by the wayside.

Maryann Have fun at the basketball game. I tried to sign up for Poshmark, but already messed up and don't remember what I put in as a user name. I'll try to sort that out.
GardenerJoy You are so good at setting your exercise goal and meeting it.
Curlyjax I love apple crisp. Anything with brown sugar in it is a favorite of mine. It sounds like you have a busy day going.
Bill To me your life sounds very enriched with all the cultural events you attend.

I hope you all are enjoying the weekend. I had my meeting this morning and I've been enjoying the afternoon home alone since dh and nephew are golfing.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Groundhog Day LIV

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent an hour with DW reviewing the stack of papers from the lawyer's office for setting up our "Estate Plan". The whole business of a 'Living Trust' hasn't yet settled in my brain. I picture having to pay the electric bill with a check from "The Trust of Mr. and Mrs. BlueEyes who aren't dead yet." Just doesn't fit yet. We talked over and over about all the good choices and bad choices that are possible with money left behind. But that conversation depends on moving along real-soon-now; if we dally, like we hope to do, then we burn it all up.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Lunch was leftovers from the Thai restaurant a few days ago. Wish I hadn't eaten all of the half-meal that I brought home. Half was too much. Makes my head spin at the portion size of restaurants. ​​​​​​

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for meeting your January exercise goal - yet again. Terrific plan: "be prepared to come home hungry."

maryann - Must have been an emotional evening watching the L.A.Lakers so soon after the loss of Kobe Bryant. Congrats for selling something on Poshmark. LOL at "Vanity Fair! EEK!" - my thoughts exactly for the book; the play was something else.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for the courage to use the habit tracker; I'd hate to know how I'm spending my time, LOL.

curlyjax - For all the years that I've lived in the city, "getting to the dump" was an event that made me jealous of my suburb friends. They always had tales.

Readers -
Quote:

Here are lists of techniques that you've learned, along with a guide for how often you should use them. I hope you've already found that you're doing some of these things automatically and that they've made dieting easier.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I did not get to the grocery store, so I have to do it today, ugh, if there's any food left from all the super bowl shoppers.I did go to the vegan lunch and enjoyed it-and had 2 bites only of dessert for which I patted myself on the back. I sat with 2 older ladies from my church which was nice. I didn't get any new ideas really but the food was great. I commend Penny; I think it takes more time to eat vegan. And I heard about a place that picks up composting so you can do it if you don't have a place to put it, which is pretty cool.
I'm very worried about noises in the crawl space. I have had the exterminators out twice and the mice are still there. I'm wondering if it is something larger, or if they found a new way to get in. I have never had so many mice before, and I worry about them chewing up the house, or the a/c.
Bill- its true, sometimes you can find good stuff at the swap shop part of the dump. And it is awesome to be able to dump your trash and recyclables 4 days a week.
Gardenerjoy- congrats on achieving your exercise goal!
Maryann- great job selling! a new profitable hobby!
Karen-habit tracker does sound interesting.Glad you got some alone time amidst all the company, its so important to recharge.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-02-2020 at 09:17 AM.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/218/149

Height: 5' 5"

Happy February everyone!

I am trucking along. Winter is our "season" here in Florida, so many visitors and the galleries are super busy. I have had a bit of a run-in with one of the gallery owners. We initially agreed to a 60/40% split (I get the 40%). He was starting a new gallery and felt he needed to get the higher percentage to make a go of it. He was selling for much higher than I was used to, so I figured the 40% would be okay. I provide him with the canvases and acrylics, which can be hung without a frame. Sometimes he decides to add a frame, but then he takes the cost of the frame directly out of my 40% cut. I am wondering if this is fair since I don't select or purchase the frames, and really don't even know how much they cost. I always make way less on pieces that he frames than on pieces that he doesn't. I'm trying to sort out what is fair for both of us.

Now, four days a week, I'm either doing the personal trainer or physical therapy. I really really like this physical therapist. She has basically figured out that I have certain small muscles that are very weak and have targeted them. One would think that going to the gym for the last 1.5 years would have fixed this, but I guess the gym sort of targets big muscle groups. Anyway, I think I'm on the right track to solve this pain in my butt and leg. (fingers crossed)

Eating has been pretty good. I've been going down ever so slowly. I've got to recommit to tracking my calories, that seems to help.

Thanks everyone.

CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Today, I'm dealing with some icky community politics among adults that will impact the ability for any of us to make good changes for kids. Sigh. Part of the "deal with it" plan is to meet up with a couple of friends for a glass of wine this evening.

I never do "drink with friends" so I'm not even sure how to approach it. I rarely drink. I almost never drink when I'm driving, except an occasional aperitif when I first sit down so I have a couple of hours plus supper to balance it. I think it would be a really bad idea to drink without eating and, then, drive. I think I'll skip my afternoon snack and order some food to share. Then, limit myself to one drink -- that won't be hard because the limit will be more about my fear of driving under any kind of influence than the calories.

And, to add to that stress, a friend of mine is an epidemiologist and is very concerned with the ways she sees the numbers of coronavirus climbing. She recommended this resource which I'm using to plan some shopping for tomorrow: https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/hea...-families.aspx

Today, I want to work on accepting the things I cannot change and doing what I can for the things where my action makes a difference.

Exercise: +30, 30/1200 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: Sympathy for the mindset change required with a trust. We got there, but it took a while. And, there are still moments when skepticism and cynicism arises and it all feels like a good way for lawyers to make money before you die instead of after.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Kansas City (Missouri) Chiefs decisively win Super Bowl LIV

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Gave a ride to a friend who'd never been in an electric car before. "Awfully quiet," she observed. Was impressed that Super Bowl ads included electric cars - as if they're really coming despite the HUGE group of deniers. Still waiting to see how this plays out since I'm one of those who believe that the dominance of electric transportation is inevitable.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, although an afternoon meeting had us sitting around a small coffee table of snacks. I'd cut a piece of Swiss cheese from its wedge for a friend whose flexibility is limited, then cut a piece for me. Tried to justify in my mind that I was merely making her feel better. Excuses come in many forms.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congratulations! whether you're a sports nut or not. At least it's an opportunity to teach the folks on both coasts the difference between Kansas City Missouri and Kansas City Kansas. And that St. Louis is some 250 miles east of both. Good plan for handling a meetup with friends when food and alcohol expectations are on the table.

curlyjax - Ouch for mice who are smarter than the exterminators. Wishing you ultimate victory. Kudos for just a taste of dessert.

CJZee - Congrats for "going down ever so slowly" with Kudos for accepting that. Hope the winter tourists are in the art buying mood.

Readers -
Quote:

Do these activities daily: . . .
  • Eat a healthful diet with limited calories.
  • Think about what you're eating before you actually put it in your mouth.
  • Sit down whenever you eat and then eat slowly and mindfully.
  • Eat only to mild fullness.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/171/ 157

Height: 5'6

Survived Super Bowl. My area went crazy of course for the 49ers. DH has come to hate them and all football because of the domestic violence and cheating associated with the game. He was happy to see KC win ( He only watched the last two mins). I was saddened by the half time show which did nothing to raise women above the level of sex object. OK I am off the pulpit.

I made a lot of good choices in the last two days.i drove by Sees candy and didn’t stop. I have focused on veggies and exercised. But I have also eaten too much good stuff. Today I plan to focus on small portions.

BBE: The Laker game was filled with constant tributes to Kobe. Half the crowd wore Bryant jerseys. The highlight of the game for me though was when a twenty year coach of intercity kids was given an award during half time for humbly working in the background to help our most vulnerable. I would like to wear his jersey

Ok, I woke up with way too many opinions. Better prep for teaching the constitution and make lunch.

Wave
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday (and all last week) was on plan and weight is holding.

I did not watch any of the football; not into sports ball or commercials. I watched Groundhog's Day-love that movie!

A little haha for you: we had made another big batch of ministrone and the kids have been avoiding it. I stuffed some of it into two pies and the kids came floating in to the wonderful pie crust aroma. Surprise, suckers! They are eating it up. Or maybe I am the sucker for turning a healthy meal into an unhealthy one? Nevermind that.

Alright, have a good day everyone!

Edited to add: Maryann, I watched the halftime show. 14 minute youtube and I didn't have to watch a single minute of sportsball or commercials. Nice. I see what you're saying but...

Me: women are not sex objects just here to please men, as second class citizens.
Also me: damn, those ladies are sexy and fit as **** at 42 and 50yo! If I could be so fit and talented. 😄

Last edited by Penny.; 02-03-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 287/218/149

Height: 5' 5"

I am thinking I might go into the gym in the early morning and get in a short walk / jog on the treadmill. I can go faster on it than in real life and so can get my heart rate up. Maybe punching up some aerobic exercise in a fasted state might get the weight loss humming along again.

CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Today is day 3 on plan and miracle of miracles weight is down. Yesterday I did a 4 1/2 mile hike and today a 10 mile hike. Today's hike was a Usery Park and we went first on an out and back uphill hike to Wind Cave and then around on the Pass Mountain hike which made it 10 miles or more by the time we finished. The desert was just lush and even starting to bloom a little. We saw poppies, ocotillo, and a few other blooming things. It was really beautiful and although it was supposed to be quite cold this morning (a big change from the last few days), it wasn't. It was cloudy, but no rain. Before the hike I took our nephew to the airport and then met my hiking friend for breakfast, which we split. All in all a perfect day.

CJZee Going to the gym is always a good idea.
Penny I love your minestrone soup pie story. I'm so shallow that all I could think during half time was how great all the dancers looked.
Maryann I give myself credit when I drive by a See's chocolate shop for sure. I love the Bordeaux chocolates. The guys watched the game here, but I didn't pay much attention.
Bill I haven't ridden in an electric car, but I imagine they are very quiet. Will mechanics be needed for electric cars?

karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote