Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 03-01-2020, 05:28 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Congress authorized creation of Yellowstone National Park (1872)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - We watched another movie last night: (2018) Sorry to Bother You. I lasted about the first hour. It's called "dark" - "depressing" is a better word. Just couldn't get into seeing scenes over and over that were painful to watch. ETA: I just read the Wiki synopsis. So glad I didn't watch the whole movie. It just gets more so.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including no snacks. (Actually, I have a half orange after dinner; I can call that one snack. But I had no peanuts or tree nuts. Those are what kill me.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for three hours at a bakery without succumbing to the odors of fresh baked goods.

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like a fun cookbook. Not dying is a good goal.

Penny. - Congrats for getting those two boys into the community college classes.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11 When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

Lowest Achievable Weight Versus Your Lowest Maintainable Weight

At some point, though, you'll stop losing weight and it will no longer be sensible for you to decrease your caloric intake or to increase your exercise. You've reached your Lowest Achievable weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 272.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I've had a busy couple of days. Thursday night I went out for a dinner with other widows, some whom I had met before but most not. It was very nice to talk to other folks that "speak my language" and I didn't overdo it on the food. Friday night I went over to manfriends and he cooked me a nice healthy dinner and we watched the movie Judy. And last night I went out with to a "tribute" concert to singers like Dean Martin, Bobby Farin and Louis Armstrong- the latter who was really good and sounded just like him. The show was a bit cheesy but I went with my friend from college who is very giggly and we act like 18 year olds when we're together, so it was really fun. She's the only friend from college that lives anywhere near me so I treasure her friendship.
A few days ago I was eating wayyyy too much junk, getting into the Easter candy already, ack. Those cadbury eggs and chocolate bunnies call to me, since its a particular taste that you can only get this time of year. I wish I didn't like junky chocolate!
Bill-I'm with you on depressing movies, what is the point. It was really interesting what you posted about smell and taste the other day.
Penny- great that you got the boys registered, that stuff can take ages.
Gardenerjoy- great job at the bakery!
Karenrn- hope you find some good recipes in that book. I found I have cut down on the red meat I’m eating after DH died, but I do crave a good steak every now and then.
Maryann- that breakfast sounds good. I need a big hearty breakfast in the cold months but I could probably do yogurt mix in the summer when I’m not so hungry.
Got to get going- I haven’t been to church in awhile and am looking forward to seeing folks.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-01-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

For the second day in a row, I skipped a planned lunch out in favor of a later and healthier lunch at home. That works nicely!

I met my exercise goals in February -- always worth celebrating!

Exercise: +40, 1205/1200 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that reads the Wikipedia synopsis of a movie that we gave up on. I almost always decide it was the right choice. We've given up on a lot of movies, lately. We enjoyed Jojo Rabbit, although I was skeptical, and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, although DH was skeptical. Neither were what we expected.

curlyjax: I was listening to Pandora while I read your post and Louis Armstrong came on -- Sweet Lorraine. Fund!
Old 03-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A once in a lifetime evening last night. DS performed Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with the community orchestra. It was electric if I do say so myself and people jumped to their feet at the end. He had the whole piece memorized and was teasing the orchestra the whole time by speeding up and slowing down during crucial parts - all of which Gershwin fully intended for the piece. I have never been prouder. We also heard that he was accepted to University of Michigan. It is wonderful that a kid who has worked so hard is seeing the fruits of his labors. I didn't invite anyone on purpose because then I become a hostess rather than an audience member (character flaw.) yet many of my friends showed up and it was wonderful to share it all with them.

Yesterday I went into phase two of my plan to actually lose weight. I reintroduced smoothies. I felt hungry in the afternoon which is a major victory. No weight loss yet but I am on the move. Leaving right now to the gym.

BBE and Gardenerjoy: Totally agree that I will read the synopsis rather than endure a downer. Life is too short.
Curleyjax: My sister and I calculated malted milk balls. 10 pts for 8 pieces. Totally not worth it. I am keeping to BBE's rule of rare and unusual and remembering all we say here about manufactured food designed to be addictive.
Penny: Good luck on today's work day and congrats with the registration.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I just got back from an easy hike with a friend who I don't see often. She is just delightful and it was so fun to visit the whole time. Food was on plan yesterday but weight was up .2 today. I did have a Crumbl's cookie on the plan and yesterday I actually ate one. I purchased 2 and dh and I split each of them so we could both try 2 flavors. The cookies are large and there were 330 calories in them, but I decided it was just fine to have the planned treat. They have a rotation of different cookies each week and I may just put them on my plan each week. The friend I hiked with this morning loves cookies and told me of a couple of other nearby cookie places. I might try planning one cookie a week and thinking then I don't need to make my off plan sweet treat that I know has more calories than even one large cookie. I picked up the plant based cookbook at the library yesterday and will plan to make two dinners from it this week. I will need to buy a few ingredients that I don't have on hand for the pantry/refer.

Maryann I had tears in my eyes reading about ds's performance and also that he has been accepted to University of Michigan. How wonderful on both accounts! I had a smoothie this week after not having one for a long time. It was great.
GardenerJoy Congratulations on meeting your exercise goal for the month!
Curlyjax It sounds like you've had some fun social things the last few days. Good for you. It is good for the soul I'm sure.
Bill It's nice to be watching a movie at home where it is far easier to quit watching than getting up and leaving the theater.
Penny I'm not sure if the how not to die book is also a documentary. I'll be receiving the book from Amazon tomorrow. I'll have to check that out. I know there are a number of them out there, but I also hear the information in some of them isn't exactly accurate. Congratulations on getting your two older boys registered for community college.

One last note. I was diligent on filling out my Monthly Habit Tracker for February for the first time. The area where I fell most short was, Ate 2 - 2 all Day, which means I didn't not stop when I was satisfied. This is the thing I need to work on if I really plan to lose any weight. The way it stands now I am doing a perfectly good job of maintaining. On 38% of the days I am overeating. Well I knew it, I just didn't have the data. Maybe that will help.

I hope you all have a great Sunday!

Last edited by karenrn; 03-01-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good evening!

My work weekend is completed and it was a doozy, per usual. Good thing I only work a couple per month.

I reined it in with the food the last couple days and took the dogs for a walk.

Monday I chill until my final banjo class at the community class. I'm sad that it is ending because I really enjoy it and the teacher is really cool with a lot of music history and theory to share. I'll have to motivate myself to keep on practicing, which is hard to do with so little skill.

Bill, thanks for the new month of beck coaches. Good job on the orange snack.

Curly, your weekend sounds amazing! I need to get out more.

Maryann, I'm feeling so proud of your son too, that is awesome!

Karen, another great hike! I love the cookie plan. Good luck with the new recipes.

Joy, yay for the lunch at home! I have a lot of trouble with waiting until I get home when out past noon. Hard to remember we won't die. lol
Old 03-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Dr. Seuss - Theodor Seuss Geisel - born (1904, Springfield, MA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did a luncheon well, CREDIT moi. Didn't know what to expect at a birthday party luncheon at a fancy Boston hotel. The food was served buffet style - a brunch combination. I had one "eggs Benedict" - I've never had just one as I've never heard of "egg Benedict". I skipped the grilled potato wedges. I had some apple spice bacon. I had fresh fruit. I skipped bagels with butter and marmalades. I skipped the assortment of fresh Danish pastries. Can't call it a low-calorie lunch, but met all my goals set before arriving. Then, the pièce de résistance, I waved away the birthday cake from the kind gentleman in a tux who insisted that everyone was to get a slice. It was glorious enough to squeeze through my "rare and unusual" - but not really. It was cake after lunch. Who need cake after lunch?

Exercise was toing and froing the subway to get there. The Subway system is undergoing its frequent track renovations; passengers had to jump out at one stop to take a bus to the next place that the trains were working. Maintenance has to happen and I welcomed the extra walking that was required. Most folks drove; garage parking is easy in Boston on Sunday. I sat next to a young man who lived a block away and worked across the street from his condo. He grouses that he owns a car at all since he pays a fortune for a garage space for it to live as he Ubers and subways around the town. Occasionally he has to pick up a client at the airport, so the car is used. He'd be happy to own no car. Love the young generation.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, Kudos indeed for meeting your February exercise goals. Your consistency is worthy of admiration.

maryann - Your DS's Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue sounds stellar. What confidence to lead an orchestra. Congrats on that University of Michigan acceptance. I'd secretly been hoping for a Boston area acceptance so we'd get to meet up on occasion.

Karen (karenrn) - Great to have a good friend - with the minor caveat of a good friend who tells you about great cookie places. Some things should go unsaid, LOL.

curlyjax - Kudos for a dinner with friends where "I didn't overdo it on the food." Cadbury Eggs should be outlawed.

Penny. - Ouch that banjo classes came to an end. Maybe you can form your own banjo group. Who knows that there might me several secret banjo players in your neighborhood.

Readers -
Quote:

Your LOWEST ACHIEVABLE WEIGHT is the weight at which you naturally plateau.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was fun, easy, and relaxing -- partly because I stayed off social media. Now, I don't want to go back! I know there are some things that people expect me to do or respond to. So, I'm easing in by reading our posts and writing my own. The social media of our Beck thread sustains me.

I found a reminder in my Tickler file about what works well for me in the week prior to the spring time change -- early meals, early bed times, lots of exercise. Thank you to my past self for writing that note. I started acting on it yesterday. We woke up before the alarm this morning, which is a very helpful thing when the alarm is going to feel an hour earlier next week.

Exercise: +60, 60/1300 minutes for March

maryann: Loved reading about your DS's performance. Rhapsody in Blue was the first instrumental piece that I learned to enjoy (about 8th grade, I think) -- before that, I didn't see the point of music unless I could sing along.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave- I made salmon, sweet potatoes, kale and asperagus for dinner- then topped it off with a small choc.bunny. I also made my chicken/sweet pots/brocc for my week lunches so i'm good to go, and will probably have some for dinner tonight since DS may be out. DS was awarded a merit scholarhip of 10,000 for one state school,so i'm hoping he'll get it for the other state school that he prefers. That will be a huge help.
congrats Maryann for U of M and that great concert, he'll remember that forever!
Penny I echo Bill- you should get a banjo group going. Maybe some of the other students will want to keep going too!
Karen-great cookie plan, its important to include treats we want to keep us going.
Bill-haven't had eggs benedict in years! great job of managing all that food.
Gardenerjoy-yes, too much social media can get me down, sounds like a good plan.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-02-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

It's a good thing that I got back on social media so I could see this gem, especially for our New England folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NeilDiamond.jpg (32.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #12  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and I'm thinking of not weighing until Friday, so I'm not sure how my weight is but I feel good. This morning I had to leave for my hike with the group at 5:20. I think it was a little early as we started out in the dark even an hour later or so. It was a good hike of about 7 1/2 miles with 10 people. I was home by just after 11, which was kind of nice. I had an extra protein bar for the day because of the extra exercise, but that didn't seem like too much. I may go sit in the hospital waiting room with a friend this afternoon while her husband has a pacemaker placed, but no big plans other than that. I was supposed to meet some of my PNP gals for a line dancing class this evening, but I'm hoping we're rescheduling. It would be another longish drive today. Dh and I chose a couple of plant based recipes to try this week. As you all know, with new recipes additional ingredients are needed and it takes a little longer than those old standbys that we have in our heads. I hope to add a couple different ones each week. I'll let you know how it goes.

GardenerJoy That is a cute post. It was kind of funny on our hike hearing different people and their take on the coronavirus. One thought it was a great money making scheme for short sellers. Several thought it was no more deadly than the flu. That's not what I was reading. I guess we'll see how it all plays out. My home state of Washington has four more deaths today. I feel like I'm so healthy that it surely wouldn't take me down, but that doesn't mean I couldn't spread it to others that would be more adversely effected.
Curlyjax Your food prep dishes sound delicious. Congratulations to ds for his scholarship. I will hope he gets one for the other school too.
Bill You are doing so well! Waving away the birthday cake; I'm not sure I could have done that.
Penny I bet you are going to be able to find another class or something with the banjo . . . at least I sure hope so.
Maryann I hope you're having a good start to the week.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Another evening check-in.

The day was on plan and I'm waiting to head into banjo class. I was so tired today I kinda wanted to skip it, but couldn't allow myself to do that. Last one!

Tomorrow I want to either get on my bike or take my daughter to the zoo, which she has been requesting.

Have a good night!
Old 03-03-2020, 04:35 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Super Tuesday - The major Primary Voting Day in US

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Seems that hearing a lecture about Buddhism doesn't do much for helping me to give up 'coveting' this or that. Maybe one has to be raised by Buddhist parents. It's easy to be drawn to the lack of dogma; I'm not big on authorities.

Eating accomplishment was to sit through a two hour evening working meeting while ignoring the top shelf trail mix on the table. I had brought baby carrots, also; chose two of those over the course of the evening along with a sixteen ounce stadium-cup of water. We have a dozen water bottles that work well for guzzling along a trail, but I need to buy one of those for discretely sipping during an adult meeting. (Did I just 'covet' a new water bottle?)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the chuckle from the lines of Sweet Caroline conflicting with advice from the CDC. How is your Tickler file implemented?

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for trying new recipes. Methinks that helps guard against slipping into eating too much of comfort food.

curlyjax - Congrats to your DS for winning that merit scholarship. And Kudos to you for getting all the financial application information together that made that possible.

Penny. - Goodbye banjo class. Welcome next banjo thing that comes into your life.

Readers -
Quote:

You might not be able to stay at your Lowest Achievable Weight, however, because to do so you would have to keep on eating the same number of calories and exercising to the same degree for the rest of you life.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #15  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and my plan is made for today. I'm making a tofu recipe for dinner out of one of the cookbooks I got from the library. I'll be heading to the store to get a few of the ingredients that I don't have on hand. The other plan for the day is to do some housework. The contractor that did our kitchen remodel is coming late morning tomorrow to photograph our kitchen, so that helps me to be inspired for the housework. Doing the floors in the main thing and then give the countertops a good polish.

Bill I continue to be impressed with you not touching the snacks. Top shelf trail mix would be hard to leave alone.
Penny I'm hoping you learned something at banjo class about where to continue.

Have a good day everyone.
Closed Thread